What is the proper app destination in Windows 7 64 bit ?

Hello,
             I just encountered that problem in Windows 7 64 bit although
Windows 7 32 bit does not have that problem.
User (?) installed my application in c:\Program Files(86) folder.
My app creates subfolders to App.Path during normal program operation.
Despite user being the administrator the subfolder cannot be created (there
is an error "File/Path Access Error"

How should I proceed in that case?
Should the installation insist on another program location (which one) or
should I consider something else?
Your help appreciated,
Claire

0
Claire

Claire wrote:
>              I just encountered that problem in Windows 7 64 bit although
> Windows 7 32 bit does not have that problem.
> User (?) installed my application in c:\Program Files(86) folder.
> My app creates subfolders to App.Path during normal program operation.
> Despite user being the administrator the subfolder cannot be created (there
> is an error "File/Path Access Error"
>
> How should I proceed in that case?
> Should the installation insist on another program location (which one) or
> should I consider something else?

Yes, you need to consider something else.  And what that may be depends
on whether you want to create folders for each individual user, or a
common folder all users share, or simply folders for your application
to store data within.  Things aren't what they used to be!

Lemme Tell Ya Where To Stick It -- Visual Studio Magazine
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/01/19/lemme-tell-ya-where-to-stick-it.aspx

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
3/4/2010 10:00:27 PM
Why there is a difference between Windows7 32 bit (no problem) and 64 bit
where is a problem.
Are there different rules for those ?
Claire

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Claire wrote:
>>              I just encountered that problem in Windows 7 64 bit although
>> Windows 7 32 bit does not have that problem.
>> User (?) installed my application in c:\Program Files(86) folder.
>> My app creates subfolders to App.Path during normal program operation.
>> Despite user being the administrator the subfolder cannot be created
>> (there is an error "File/Path Access Error"
>>
>> How should I proceed in that case?
>> Should the installation insist on another program location (which one) or
>> should I consider something else?
>
> Yes, you need to consider something else.  And what that may be depends on
> whether you want to create folders for each individual user, or a common
> folder all users share, or simply folders for your application to store
> data within.  Things aren't what they used to be!
>
> Lemme Tell Ya Where To Stick It -- Visual Studio Magazine
> http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/01/19/lemme-tell-ya-where-to-stick-it.aspx
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Claire
3/5/2010 2:27:12 AM
"Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message
> Why there is a difference between Windows7 32 bit (no problem) and 64 bit
> where is a problem.
> Are there different rules for those ?

It's not just Windows 7, but Windows 2000+ as well. Your application would
not work if the user is a member of the limited "Users" group on Windows
2000. This group has read only access to "Program Files" and subfolders. In
2000/XP/2003 Server, things seem to work fine because the default user is
Administrator, especially for home users. In Vista+, the default user acts
as a member of the limited "Users" group(unelevated Admin), even though that
user is a member of the Administrators group. To act as a member of the
Administrators group, a user has to right-click and use "Run as
Administrator".

What you are seeing in 32 bit vs. 64 bit is that you are probably not
testing identical behavior. Perhaps you were doing some runs elevated, and
some without. Also, the system in Vista+ redirects some things to a
different location, usually:

C:\Users\<UsedID>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MyApp\config.ini

The solution is to use SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() or similar functions,
and store your data elsewhere. If the data are per user, then you could use:

sDataPath = Environ("APPDATA") & "\MyApp"
On Error Resume Next
MkDir sDataPath

However, using API functions is preferable.

APPDATA is usually (2000/XP2003):

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERID>\Application Data

In Vista/2008/7:

C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Roaming

The per user locations are always writable. The all users locations or
common locations are not usually fully writable by all users by default. If
you want to use one of them, then you have to change the permissions at
install time. If you are using Inno Setup, then you can use the following in
your script:

[Dirs]
Name: {commonappdata}\MyApp; Permissions: authusers-full

If you are using the Package and Deployment Wizard, see this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/bf6cfaefa0cb646c

You may want to read that thread because it contain discussion relevant to
your situation. Here is a link to the beginning of the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_thread/thread/26fba80e51340c06/e1b72d77135522fa

0
Nobody

Re: Outlook 2007, Windows Vista 64 bit
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01CAAF50.987B1C90 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=response Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Attached is screen shot of the hung window. A point to note is that even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Office, it automatically takes my previous account and does not prompt me to configure an account. "Neha Shah" <shahnehashah2@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... >I used Outlook 2007 without any problem in Vista 32 bit before I up...

Repost: Microsoft 2002 won't run on Windows XP, can't get product id for MS Help
After installing Microsoft 2002 on my Windows XP system I get the error "Unable to initialize a required Money component." The Microsoft CHECKSKU program detects, but does not correct, the problem. I cannot create an online help request from Microsoft because I can't get the product id because I can't run Money. Any help anyone can offer? Thanks a bunch! Keith... I found three articles in the MS KB on this. The third one has the checksku stuff, try the first two. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310765 http://support.microsoft.com/default.as...

Window Thread and SetWindowPos
Hi all. I have an app with 2 threads (A and B) with a window each. I would like thread B window be set on top of the Window Z-Order, so I used SetWindowPos. This command unfortunately processes when thread A window has the focus so nothing happens. If I force thread B window being seing set on TOPMOST the command succeds. Any idea? Best Regards. andrea Hi Andrea, I can't be certain what exactly the problem is without knowing a bit more about the application. Specifically, which thread are you calling SetWindowPos on? One thing that comes to mind is to use the SWP_ASYNWINDOW...

Windows says it can't check for updates!
I go to check manually - nothing! I have my settings on automatic updates. What do I do now? Kaz Kaz wrote: > I go to check manually - nothing! I have my settings on automatic > updates. What do I do now? Now? You come back and give some details on your operating system and whatever problem you are having (like "Windows _____ with Service Pack _" would be good, exact messages you get on-screen when you try to update, how you are trying to update in detail, anything you have tried in order to fix the problem yourself, etc.) ;-) If you need some he...

app.config xml file and application blocks
Can a class library have a app.config file. Reason for asking is that the microsoft application blocks all read from myApp.exe.config. How can you use the application blocks if you do not have an app.config file. Wish someone from microsoft would answer this, I am at a loss. thanks grs Yes, a class library can have .config file, but you have to do the copying and naming by hand. Visual Studio only renames and copies app.config files automatically for you. As you already found, that behavior is not really documented and the expected usage is to add settings for the application blocks to t...

Open a new document in a new "exterior" Excel Windows
How is it possible to tune Excel to make every new=20 document open as a new "exterior" Excel Windows, and not=20 as a "interior" windows in the Excel Application ?? My Powerpoint is already reacting like that, but I cannot=20 find any clues in the Options... Menu. Is there a link with the way the default template is=20 designed ? Thanks for your input. S=E9bastien. Accenture France. Try Tools-Options then tick the "View Windows in Taskbar" on the Vie tab -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

windows live mail calendar
I have created a calendar in windows live, but will not display in my mail calendar. What steps do I need to take to make this happen? thanks! ...

Window will not resize to medium size
My Windows mail will not resize to medium size. It is either maximized or a tiny bar. Any ideas? Corinne wrote: > My Windows mail will not resize to medium size. It is either > maximized or a tiny bar. Any ideas? ============================================== Try dragging the corner of the window to the size you want and close it. It should be the same the next time you open it. -- J. Inzer MS-MVP Digital Media Experience Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that work for me may not work for you Proceed at you...

PIVOT TABLE HELP #7
Hi All, I need to know how i can insert a "Sum If" Function in the Pivot table. As there are only standard formulas in the options and Excel does not allow me to input custom formulas. I have my table as follows: Bank Currency Amount Status A USD 1 Pending B USD 5 Pending C EUR 6 Pending A GBP 2 Renewed B USD 6 Renewd C GBP 7 Pending When I choose the Pivot table I am able to give my criteria for bankwise and for each type of currency to sum the amounts, But I am unable to give a sum if function on Pending ones only... Hope u guys can help me on this. Imran. -- M Imran Buhary ...

Tasks, calendar and e-mail on the same window
I would like to find an add-on template which can combine those 3 components in the same window. I tried the FranklinCovey PlanPlus for Outlook which includes e-mail, notes and calendar, but not tasks. This is getting close to what I'd consider as a good compromise, but with the addition of the Tasks I'll be more productive. Any suggestions where I can find one like that will be very appriciated. Bruce C <BruceC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to find an add-on template which can combine those 3 > components in the same window. I tried the Frankli...

Use this important update for Windows
--oygrkjphbs Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fsveuaegtt"; type="multipart/alternative" --fsveuaegtt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="esrvjidpsty" --esrvjidpsty Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect y...

Workbook Window doesn't open
Whenever I open an Excel doc (Excel 2002), everything opens but the workbook window (where all the info's at). If I use my keyboard arrows, cell information is show in the Formula bar, so the doc has opened but can't be seen. When I change the view to Full Screen, everything shows up and then I can close Full Screen view and everythings fine. Any thoughts? Try Window>Arrange in the menubar jb -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "jb" <anon1919@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:429101c39e30$596d4ce0$7d02280a@phx.gbl......

Windows live Messenger has downloaded updates, but won't let me in
I've chosen to do the update... Then I get to the Screen that shows me the list of Windows Live programs. All of them have the Checkmark showing that i have them.... There is no means of saying 'Update' on this form... The only option is 'close'. How the heck do I get in to Messenger if I don't need any updates and I can't log in without updating??!? Remove anything related to Live messenger entirely, then reboot, then reinstall, then reboot again, then it will work....... (may have been another 2-3 reboots in between there) "Win-doh&#...

Help resizes window &%$#!
This problem is probably not excel specific: Is there a way to prevent help routines to resize the program window? When I start Excel-Help, the Excel window is reduced to half of the full size - even if the help window is larger than the other half of the screen. This causes a lot of swearing because I can't see anything in the worksheet because the window is too small and I can't see the help window because it is partly covered by the excel window. My fear is I have to live with it. Can somebody convince me otherwise? Thanks Oskar von dem Hagen ...

Print from Applied To windows
I'd love to see a feature where you can print cash or credit application details directly from the Applied To window. We often get requests from customers for this data when reconciling our A/R against their A/P. Thanks, Barbara ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in th...

How does one App-local install MFCLOC for MFC80 and avoid Side-by-Side errors?
When one does app-local installs of applications using MFC80, we see the following Side-by-Side error messages in the Application event log: Resolve Partial Assembly, Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC, The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. Generate Activation Context, C:\Program Files\Application\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\MFC80.DLL, The operation completed successfully. We've tried to put the redistributable Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC folder from VS 2005 both under the \Program-Files\Application as well as under \Program-Files\Application\Microsoft.VC80.MFC, to no effect. The application wo...

Brining window to the top
Hello, I developed a Word/Excel add-in (the add-in does very little except execute other programs). The add-in works OK, but when the other programs are executed they are hidden in the background. In other words, if Excel is running in full screen mode, Excel hides the programs (the programs are behind Excel). I tried "BringWindowToTop()", "SetFocus()",... None these options seem to make a difference. Is there a way to force the applications to the foreground? Can I get a handle to the desktop? TIA, Jacques hmm... try SetWinowPos(&wndTop, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE ...

Download Progress Window problem?
I have Money 2006 Premium. I use to have small Progress Window show up every time I was doing Update or download transactions from my bank or broker. Not any more. How can I get it back? Thanks in advance. -- Sam. In microsoft.public.money, Sandac wrote: >I have Money 2006 Premium. >I use to have small Progress Window show up every time I was doing Update or >download transactions from my bank or broker. >Not any more. >How can I get it back? >Thanks in advance. Try clicking the rotating circle+arrows in the upper-right. Thanks I'll try. But beside this Icon,...

multiple windows....help
it use to be when i opened an excel doc it would open a tab on th bottom of my toolbar. and for every doc opened it would open a new tab well now (not sure how) every doc opens in one tab and i have to go an select each book from the window menu. this is really frusteratin because i work in many excel docs at once and i alt tab all day long. am sure this is an easy fix but i cant seem to figure it out...any hel would be great! Thank you! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In Excel 2000, select Tools | Options | View Tab | Show and select "Windows in Taskbar". I as...

Menus and windows are chopped off on all screens
I don't know if it is my display driver or what, but when I drop down a menu, the last 10-20% of it on the bottom and right is not showing. Also when I click on a date picker, the right side and bottom of the window isn't showing. I've tried this with IE6 and all services packs and am now trying IE7. If I can post a screen shot, I will. It doesn't appear to let me. The most likely cause is if you're using a non-standard dpi (standard is 96). There are 2 solutions: a) Set your dpi to 96 (control panel, display, settings, advanced) or b) Add (or modify) the follow...

LangWdbk.dll not a valid windows image
Windows XP/SP3 fully updated Desktop search comes up with... "LangWdbk.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." What diskette? Noticed that lately the computer has got much slower and I get this message now whenever I try to do a Desktop Search. Also Start/Search comes up with a blank pop up windows initially, though it corrects itself second time round. Yet when I tried to copy and paste this very file from another XP/SP3 machine, I couldn't find it on the other machine. Registry Patrol failed to repair it. ...

IE8 vs IE8 (64 bit)
On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start | Programs displays two links for IE. One is simply IE8. The second is IE8 (64 bit) Is it likely I have two versions? Which should I use? Which, if any should I remove? "PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fe603128-c738-4d76-89c0-4b98de32bcba@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com... > On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start | > Programs displays two links for IE. One is simply IE8. The second is > IE8 (64 bit) > > Is it likely I have two versions?...

Access2K and Windows XP
Bonjour, Hi, I will try in english, so be consilliant... I had an application that run very well with Access 2K under Win98. So we decide to change the machines (small network 3 computers). For sure we get new machines with Windows XP Family Edition. We decide to install our Access 2K on them to continue working in the same way. First, I get a problem with a calandar that was coming from an other OCX that wasn't on the XP's machine. I replace the calandar by the original one integrated to Access 2K. After that the data base open very well. Secondly, I observed that the filter apply...

Can a Windows Server 2008 join W2K2 AD?
Hi, Just bought a Windows 2008 Server. We want to have the Windows 2008 server be a member server in a Windows 2000 AD environment. Not a DC. No migration. It is just going to serve web pages. Do we need to do anything other than have it join the Windows 2000 domain? Are there any issues with this set up? Thanks, SDM Hello sdmusicmaker, Yes, you can add it. Keep in mind that Windows server 2008 has the firewall enabled by default. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Pl...

Windows XP Service Pak3 Failure
I did a reinstall of XP to fix issues..not a full install just fix problems. Numerouse updates for XP came through in auto updates and one of the updates is service pak 3. Runs through the install about 1/2 way and then gives error code access denied...backs out all updates and then I get this message when I check update history...Error Code: 0x80070005 Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources. Any ideas? Your problem is quite likely that certain registry permissions are not quite correctly set. There is a knowledge base articl...