VB6 support and beyond

Hi guys!

As I have written somewhat in previous posts, I have spent many years
writing code for in-house processes. I'm no longer with my company and
I'm starting to embrace software development, but now towards a general
audience. I previously worked and combined many technologies C/C++,
VC++, VBA, SQLServer,etc, but mostly VB6, and I will continue with it
because it is *very efficient.*

Now... I have been exploring the Internet a lot on VB6 subjects lately
(and with posts to this newsgroup) to fill in for the VB6 stuff I never
experimented with, since I never had to (like internationalization and
image processing stuff for example).

Well... googling around I came across this video:

<http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/funkyonex/What-is-Microsofts-Visual-Basic-6-Support-Strategy/>

I don't know if you have seen it, but the video is a year old, and the
guy is one of the lead program managers for Visual Studio and the guy in
charge of VB6.

The first part of the video (the first 5 minutes) talks about support
for the VB6 runtime (VB6-RTM) until 2019. I was happy to hear this, but
*Question 1)* can developers really rely on this statement? I mean how
many new issues have you guys seen come up with VB6-RTM after a new OS
release? Will I be able to really work-around these new obstacles? What
will exactly happen after 2019?

The second part of the video (minute 10 and after) talks about the .net
transition, which I don't really care about.

Now... I might (might) consider migration out of VB6 if an only if:

1) I can program directly for the OS and not for a bulky bulky platform.
2) The new development platform and language are as efficient as VB6.

*Question 2)* Does Microsoft currently have such a platform? If not,
what are the chances MS releases such a platform before 2019?

Sorry for the long post.

-Nando
0
Nando

Nando,

In fact you started a Net discussion. This time I reply on it because it is
from my point of view very tendentious.

However, what is so correct named in post from some days ago the "clique"
here won't want to see is (so there is no need they read the rest); Net is
just an OS extension to fulfil the often asked question too Microsoft to
create more open software. Everybody is free to create its own Net addition
to his OS, which is already done by Mono.

For Microsoft OS systems is the Microsoft Net a standard part of that,
although you can update it separated from other service packs, like is
needed because of international laws also for Internet Explorer and Media
player.

What you call bulky is less than 0.01% capacity of a modern disk.

Be aware that whatever Net program (for VB with Option Strict On) is in
general use 10 times faster and have 10 times smaller assemblies than VB6.
This is not when the programs are in fact only a kind of wrapper around Lib
objects, then VB6 wins often, but a good Net developer don't do that
anymore.

However; if you are happy with VB6 why change, nobody tells you if you are
programming only for yourself that you must change. Currently you have with
this newsgroup a good knowledge base.

Be aware that in my perception that 2019 means only the in January fixed OS
systems without any update, so in fact it tells nothing.

Cor

"Nando" <hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote in message
> Hi guys!
>
> As I have written somewhat in previous posts, I have spent many years
> writing code for in-house processes. I'm no longer with my company and I'm
> starting to embrace software development, but now towards a general
> audience. I previously worked and combined many technologies C/C++, VC++,
> VBA, SQLServer,etc, but mostly VB6, and I will continue with it because it
> is *very efficient.*
>
> Now... I have been exploring the Internet a lot on VB6 subjects lately
> (and with posts to this newsgroup) to fill in for the VB6 stuff I never
> experimented with, since I never had to (like internationalization and
> image processing stuff for example).
>
> Well... googling around I came across this video:
>
> <http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/funkyonex/What-is-Microsofts-Visual-Basic-6-Support-Strategy/>
>
> I don't know if you have seen it, but the video is a year old, and the guy
> is one of the lead program managers for Visual Studio and the guy in
> charge of VB6.
>
> The first part of the video (the first 5 minutes) talks about support for
> the VB6 runtime (VB6-RTM) until 2019. I was happy to hear this, but
> *Question 1)* can developers really rely on this statement? I mean how
> many new issues have you guys seen come up with VB6-RTM after a new OS
> release? Will I be able to really work-around these new obstacles? What
> will exactly happen after 2019?
>
> The second part of the video (minute 10 and after) talks about the .net
> transition, which I don't really care about.
>
> Now... I might (might) consider migration out of VB6 if an only if:
>
> 1) I can program directly for the OS and not for a bulky bulky platform.
> 2) The new development platform and language are as efficient as VB6.
>
> *Question 2)* Does Microsoft currently have such a platform? If not, what
> are the chances MS releases such a platform before 2019?
>
> Sorry for the long post.
>
> -Nando

0
Cor
8/19/2010 9:03:33 AM
Cor wrote:

> In fact you started a Net discussion.

No, this isn't a .net discussion, but one covering VB6, its support and
a possible alternative (not .net as I clearly wrote).
0
Nando
8/19/2010 9:35:04 AM
I have not yet watched the video but I think he means, "VB6 Runtimes are
included with Windows 7 and will be supported the lifetime of Windows 7."
thats what also the VB6 MSDN support page says.

It doesn't mean they are going to include the VB6 runtimes in next Windows
version. Before the release of windows 7 there were already rumors the they
are not going to include it in Windows 7 but later they did since Win 7
(NT6.1) is minor update over Vista (NT6)

FYI-VB6 runtimes came preinstalled with Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and
even with NT4 service packs.

In my view, VB6 apps will continue to run as long as Windows supports 32-bit
applications. Most PC today sold today are 64-bit with 64-bit OS, esp in the
last 2 years and VB6 apps runs fine on it.

I installed NT4 in virtual PC and tried to run a hello world vb6, it doesn't
run even if I install the VB6 runtimes, then I have to apply the OLE update,
then it does. So its not just about VB6 runtimes but also correct version
other components like ole and in the future we are going to face a similiar
problem.

"Nando" <hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote in message
| Hi guys!
|
| The first part of the video (the first 5 minutes) talks about support
| for the VB6 runtime (VB6-RTM) until 2019. I was happy to hear this,

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 12:06:38 PM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
| Nando,

| For Microsoft OS systems is the Microsoft Net a standard part of that,
| although you can update it separated from other service packs, like is
| needed because of international laws also for Internet Explorer and Media
| player.

Its not a 'standard' part of OS, if removed the OS will continue to
function, Vista and 7 comes with a option of disabling .NET from the
Add/Remove program. XP doesn't come with it nor it gets installed or updated
by Windows update until you have at least one version of .NET installed. if
you install any .NET version then only Windows update will prompt you to
install. all version from 2 to 3.5

| What you call bulky is less than 0.01% capacity of a modern disk.

its not about size on disk its about size over the internet and *MORE* than
that the inconvenience and error messages the users see when they try to run
your application; and later spend time in downloading and installing .NET.

I have personally experienced this, I made a app in .NET it got popular with
Non-US and Non-EU users, those users are mostly XP users with no
installation of .NET. The rejection rate for my software was as high as 70%
many people started complaining. so I spent 1 full week to *port/upgrade*
that VB.NET application to VB6 and since then with more then 1 Million
downloads, I see green.

| Be aware that whatever Net program (for VB with Option Strict On) is in
| general use 10 times faster and have 10 times smaller assemblies than VB6.

Who says so? .NET is slower then VB6 program using APIs. Its takes time for
..NET to cold start, that is why they have a service for it, look in your
services '.NET 2.0 optimization' or something like that.

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 12:30:06 PM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

> Be aware that whatever Net program (for VB with Option
> Strict On) is in general use 10 times faster and have 10 times
> smaller assemblies than VB6.

Christ! Here comes the Dutch Dick Brain with his ten times faster rubbish
again! What a clown!

Mike

0
Mike
8/19/2010 12:46:33 PM
  I don't do video, generally. I have a TV set.
Online I want text and pictures that I can
take in at my own pace. So maybe you could
write an audio-to-text program to extract the
speech from such videos. ...And by all means,
yes, write it in some kind of compiled code.
I don't want to have to create a new disk partition
just to house the runtime for your software. :)

  But 2019? You're trying to plan for software
you write now to run and be relevant in 2019?

0
Mayayana
8/19/2010 1:07:16 PM
"Nando" <hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote in message
> What will exactly happen after 2019?

Any bugs won't be fixed.

> The second part of the video (minute 10 and after) talks about the .net
> transition, which I don't really care about.
>
> Now... I might (might) consider migration out of VB6 if an only if:
>
> 1) I can program directly for the OS and not for a bulky bulky platform.
> 2) The new development platform and language are as efficient as VB6.
>
> *Question 2)* Does Microsoft currently have such a platform?

No, except VC++ unmanaged projects. This doesn't rely on the .Nxt runtime,
but the minimum OS to run your app is Windows 2000. It's the only language
that is part of Visual Studio that does that, but MS seems to be making the
most effort on .Nxt languages.

> If not, what are the chances MS releases such a platform before 2019?

Almost non-existent, but things could change if MS thinks it will make them
more sales.

0
Nobody
8/19/2010 1:37:56 PM
:
: In fact you started a Net discussion. This time I reply on it because it
is
: from my point of view very tendentious.

Lie.  Nobody asked about .xt you racist pig.  Please do not post your
bullshit in this forum.  It's off topic and unwanted.

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 2:17:08 PM
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>  But 2019? You're trying to plan for software
> you write now to run and be relevant in 2019?

2019 is less than 9 years away, which I know in computer terms that's a long
time. But I've got software that was originally created with VB in 1995 that
still runs and is relevant today, some 15 years later!

0
Daryl
8/19/2010 4:45:34 PM
Mayayana wrote:

>    I don't do video, generally. I have a TV set.
> Online I want text and pictures that I can
> take in at my own pace. So maybe you could
> write an audio-to-text program to extract the
> speech from such videos. ...And by all means,
> yes, write it in some kind of compiled code.
> I don't want to have to create a new disk partition
> just to house the runtime for your software. :)

There is no need to watch the video - Oh boy! I never thought I was
going to have to reply about this kind of weirdness - Well, I found the
video and watched it along with 3 more video I found about
internationalization (they were very interesting). In my case I don't
question the format of information I don't know, although I have my
preferences like everyone (for example: I still have problems with
eBooks and prefer printed ones). For me, watching the video gave me a
better sense of how MS just don't care about developers and that they
will just keep pushing developers to the "new platforms" (just like
cattle) to support its Web-services strategy. Even more to understand
how they are so pushy and insistingly evangelizing about it, either
themselves or through others (something I have actually seen in this
very VB6 forum).

>    But 2019? You're trying to plan for software
> you write now to run and be relevant in 2019?

This sounds so wrong, you see, that's why I bothered to write an
introduction to my original post. The answer is "no." 2019 was the date
the guy mentioned during the interview. Since I'm not (won't) adopt the
..net no-sense, it is fair for me to at least analyze and know what I'm
doing.

I don't know how honest their "promise for support" really is or has
been so far. I tend to analyze stuff the right way, that is knowing the
past and analyzing forward until the present and future. So I asked VB6
developers to explain me this based on their working experience with the
latest OSs (2000, XP, Vista,..), since I have not been really creating
consumer software.

It is a fair assessment, and I wish I would have done it before adopting
various MS technologies (although MS was completely different back then).

Windows is an exciting platform to develop programs and reach a massive
audience, but it seems that developing directly for the OS is no longer
possible (also that is something I asked VB6 developers in my original
post).

0
Nando
8/19/2010 5:12:41 PM
"Daryl Muellenberg" <dmuellenberg@comcast.net> wrote in message
: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
: news:i4ja6q$6hp$1@news.eternal-september.org...
:
: 2019 is less than 9 years away, which I know in computer terms that's a
long
: time. But I've got software that was originally created with VB in 1995
that
: still runs and is relevant today, some 15 years later!

Ditto.  Although in 1995 I was still using VB3 (I skipped 4).  The projects
ported to 5 and 6, no problem and 6 is where they have stayed since the late
ninties.  To be honest, I'm not worried about 2019 as that is so far away.
All you can really do is have a backup plan NOW.

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 5:34:31 PM

> For me, watching the video gave me a better sense
> of how MS just don't care about developers . . .

Well, according to this video they do ;-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

Mike

0
Mike
8/19/2010 5:37:20 PM
"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
> "Nando" <hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote in message
>
>> For me, watching the video gave me a better sense
>> of how MS just don't care about developers . . .
>
> Well, according to this video they do ;-)
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
>
> Mike

  I don't speak hungarian, but apparently this guy doesn't think Ballmer
cares about something..

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZNw7h96WU&feature=related

0
mbyerley
8/19/2010 6:20:56 PM
Nobody wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>> What will exactly happen after 2019?
>
> Any bugs won't be fixed.

But there shouldn't be any major bugs right? I mean, VB6 is not a beta
or anything like that. Or do you mean that new bugs might emerge after
every new OS release?

I was kind of concern about MS purposefully removing pieces of code in
Windows that has comments reading like "warning: removing this line will
break support VB6 applications" or something like that. Does anybody
think they will go to such extremes?

>> The second part of the video (minute 10 and after) talks about the .net
>> transition, which I don't really care about.
>>
>> Now... I might (might) consider migration out of VB6 if an only if:
>>
>> 1) I can program directly for the OS and not for a bulky bulky platform.
>> 2) The new development platform and language are as efficient as VB6.
>>
>> *Question 2)* Does Microsoft currently have such a platform?
>
> No, except VC++ unmanaged projects. This doesn't rely on the .Nxt runtime,
> but the minimum OS to run your app is Windows 2000. It's the only language
> that is part of Visual Studio that does that, but MS seems to be making the
> most effort on .Nxt languages.

I see. Although, it is my impression that MS has managed to move most
developers out of the VC++ platform to .net, but not out of VB6.

>> If not, what are the chances MS releases such a platform before 2019?
>
> Almost non-existent, but things could change if MS thinks it will make them
> more sales.

I guess then I'm hopeless. I wish Linux was more adopted among
consumers. I wish some billionaire die and give his/her fortune to the
Linux project then  :)  (hmmm... thinking more about it, it doesn't
sound too bad)
0
Nando
8/19/2010 7:20:42 PM
Abhishek wrote:
> I have not yet watched the video but I think he means, "VB6 Runtimes are
> included with Windows 7 and will be supported the lifetime of Windows 7."
> thats what also the VB6 MSDN support page says.
>
> It doesn't mean they are going to include the VB6 runtimes in next Windows
> version. Before the release of windows 7 there were already rumors the they
> are not going to include it in Windows 7 but later they did since Win 7
> (NT6.1) is minor update over Vista (NT6)
>
> FYI-VB6 runtimes came preinstalled with Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and
> even with NT4 service packs.

Awesome! Now, let's say they come up with Windows 8. One should be able
to redistribute the run-time with my app, right?

> In my view, VB6 apps will continue to run as long as Windows supports 32-bit
> applications. Most PC today sold today are 64-bit with 64-bit OS, esp in the
> last 2 years and VB6 apps runs fine on it.

That makes sense. Great!

> I installed NT4 in virtual PC and tried to run a hello world vb6, it doesn't
> run even if I install the VB6 runtimes, then I have to apply the OLE update,
> then it does. So its not just about VB6 runtimes but also correct version
> other components like ole and in the future we are going to face a similiar
> problem.

Interesting. Where can I obtained the OLE update? This might be useful
when testing apps on NT4 (I also have Virtual PC with many versions of
windows for testing).
0
Nando
8/19/2010 7:35:45 PM
Daryl Muellenberg wrote:
> Mayayana wrote:
>> But 2019? You're trying to plan for software
>> you write now to run and be relevant in 2019?
>
> 2019 is less than 9 years away, which I know in computer terms that's a
> long time. But I've got software that was originally created with VB in
> 1995 that still runs and is relevant today, some 15 years later!

During the video/interview, the guy said that Visual Studio 6 was
shipped on 1997, but that the code-base is actually much older than that.
0
Nando
8/19/2010 7:45:11 PM
Mike Williams wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>
>> For me, watching the video gave me a better sense
>> of how MS just don't care about developers . . .
>
> Well, according to this video they do ;-)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

OMG! This guy [Ballmer] terrifies me every single time. This is scary.
Can somebody buy enough stocks from MS and get him replaced? The company
is going nowhere. Isn't that obvious?
0
Nando
8/19/2010 7:49:44 PM

: I see. Although, it is my impression that MS has managed to move most
: developers out of the VC++ platform to .net, but not out of VB6.

Look, merely mentioning the ".N" word gives the evangelists the in they look
for to start preaching, or to demand an explaination from folks like me
about why I am not breaking balls at the mere mention of the word from
others.

So please, in the future, try not to refer to the product by name.  Say
"other platforms" or something vague.  I know it sucks, but until the
evangelists lean that this NG is not their place, it's a necessary evil.

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 7:52:08 PM
Kevin Provance wrote:

> Look, merely mentioning the ".N" word gives the evangelists the in they look
> for to start preaching, or to demand an explaination from folks like me
> about why I am not breaking balls at the mere mention of the word from
> others.
>
> So please, in the future, try not to refer to the product by name.  Say
> "other platforms" or something vague.  I know it sucks, but until the
> evangelists lean that this NG is not their place, it's a necessary evil.

Oh, I see. I'll pay attention to that from now on. Although, those
people shouldn't be here in the first place (are they being payed by MS
or something? Or are they just predators of sanity?)
0
Nando
8/19/2010 8:10:53 PM
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:36:38 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It doesn't mean they are going to include the VB6 runtimes in next Windows
>version. Before the release of windows 7 there were already rumors the they
>are not going to include it in Windows 7 but later they did since Win 7
>(NT6.1) is minor update over Vista (NT6)

I don't see NT 6.1 being a minor update as the reason why MS included
the VB6 runtime in Windows 7.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
"Daryl Muellenberg" <dmuellenberg@comcast.net> wrote:

>2019 is less than 9 years away, which I know in computer terms that's a long
>time. But I've got software that was originally created with VB in 1995 that
>still runs and is relevant today, some 15 years later!

The software I'm running to read and respond to this post is News Xpress,
written for the Windows 3.1 platform back in, what, 1992 or something?  Works
just fine on XT.  And it's extremely fast.  So, this is an 18-year old
program.  It's impressive that Windows can do this.

I'm also thinking back about the the Y2K issue (the date rollover from 1999 to
2000) of 10 years ago.  In those days there were legacy systems going back to
the 1970s.  I suspect there still are.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to play for a future that is 9 years away.

0
sfdavidkaye2
8/19/2010 9:29:01 PM
"Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote in message

> So please, in the future, try not to refer to the product
> by name.  Say "other platforms" or something vague.
>  I know it sucks, but until the evangelists lean that this
> NG is not their place, it's a necessary evil.

That reminds me of the conventions here in the UK where, as you probably
know, we have a "House of Commons" which is composed of all the selfish and
greedy bastards who have been elected by the people in a general election,
and a separate "House of Lords" which consists of all the inbred idiotic
prats who have not been elected by anyone and who have qualified for their
position simply by being born to another existing inbred idiotic prat whose
ancestor was elevated to that position centuries ago by the inbred idiotic
King or Queen (so that they and all their ancestors and all their
descendents are also Lords and idiotic prats!). Also, these days, some
others can be elevated to that position for their lifetime only by some of
the selfish and greedy bastards in the House of Commons, with the main
qualification being the fact that they have donated a lot of money to the
currently ruling political party (although some other people, sportsmen and
television personalities and others, are sometimes elevated to that position
because of their popularity with Joe Public in an attempt to disguise what
is really going on).

The House of Commons essentially came into the existence that it has now due
to a rebellion of the people against what was at that time the supreme power
of the monarch (the King or Queen) and these days the House of Commons is
looked on as representative of the people whereas the House of Lords (which
hopefully will soon be abandoned) is looked upon as the representatives of
the bunch of inbred idiotic prats that call themselves the Royal Family. So,
basically the House of Commons is seen as the elected body that represents
the people (except of course in reality the greedy bastards represent only
themselves) and the House of Lords is seen as representing the inbred
idiotic prats who are members of the so called Royal Family (which hopefully
will also soon be consigned to the scrap heap).

Anyway, to this day it is usual for members of the House of Commons, for
purely historic reasons, to never refer by name to the House of Lords, and
when in speeches and when conducting general parliamentary business if they
ever need to refer to the House of Lords they call it "that other place".

Mike

0
Mike
8/19/2010 9:47:45 PM
Visual Studio 6 didn't ship 1997, it shipped 1999. the guy incharge of VB6
doesn't know when it was shipped, he is more of incharge of so called
migration not VB6. and about the 'old code base' comment he made then VBA is
included with even Office 2007. Office 2007 VB editor says "Visual Basic
6.5"

and I really laughed at his 'we miss you (vb6) guys' comment he made.

| Daryl Muellenberg wrote:
| > Mayayana wrote:
| >> But 2019? You're trying to plan for software
| >> you write now to run and be relevant in 2019?
| >
| > 2019 is less than 9 years away, which I know in computer terms that's a
| > long time. But I've got software that was originally created with VB in
| > 1995 that still runs and is relevant today, some 15 years later!
|
| During the video/interview, the guy said that Visual Studio 6 was
| shipped on 1997, but that the code-base is actually much older than that.

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 10:21:25 PM

"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

<snip>

:
: Anyway, to this day it is usual for members of the House of Commons, for
: purely historic reasons, to never refer by name to the House of Lords, and
: when in speeches and when conducting general parliamentary business if
they
: ever need to refer to the House of Lords they call it "that other place".

Interesting.  I was not aware of this "formaility".  But considering the
pomp and circumstance of the so called royal family, I am not at all
surprised.  <g>

- K
--
The *real* Tom Shelton:  I dont' care what you say or think.  I will post
any response anywhere I see fit.  So, FOAD.

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 10:35:02 PM
Abhishek wrote:

> Visual Studio 6 didn't ship 1997, it shipped 1999. the guy incharge of VB6
> doesn't know when it was shipped, he is more of incharge of so called
> migration not VB6.  and about the 'old code base' comment he made then VBA is
> included with even Office 2007. Office 2007 VB editor says "Visual Basic
> 6.5"

Exactly, that was my next question to you guys, because MS still
embraces VBA6 (as usual) and it is part of Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, Projects,.... I have done a lot of work using VBA, and the
concept of just customizing and extending the functionality of these
applications is something I have always applaud.

> and I really laughed at his 'we miss you (vb6) guys' comment he made.

Yeah, when he said that phrase I actually felt insulted. It is
disturbing to think that they think of us so little, believing we have
no brains to choose. They think we are just zombies that would have
followed and eat whatever they produce.
0
Nando
8/19/2010 10:58:50 PM
| Abhishek wrote:

| Awesome! Now, let's say they come up with Windows 8. One should be able
| to redistribute the run-time with my app, right?

Yep, we can.

| Interesting. Where can I obtained the OLE update? This might be useful
| when testing apps on NT4 (I also have Virtual PC with many versions of
| windows for testing).

Not needed for new OSs, just for very old Win 95, NT w/o SP. its gets
applied with SP, in case you still need it, its in VS CD \DCOM98\DCOM98.exe

i was just playing with some OSs and decided to test my vb6 apps in it.

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 11:20:54 PM
He should go to Download.com and see the list of Top 10 downloads. Out of
Top 4; 2 apps are written in VB6 with more than 100 Million downloads.
MalwareBytes and YouTube Downloader.

| > and I really laughed at his 'we miss you (vb6) guys' comment he made.
|
| Yeah, when he said that phrase I actually felt insulted. It is
| disturbing to think that they think of us so little, believing we have
| no brains to choose. They think we are just zombies that would have
| followed and eat whatever they produce.

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 11:38:15 PM
"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>
> > Be aware that whatever Net program (for VB with Option
> > Strict On) is in general use 10 times faster and have 10 times
> > smaller assemblies than VB6.
>
> Christ! Here comes the Dutch Dick Brain with his ten
> times faster rubbish again! What a clown!

He really comes over like a bot or some weird
"AI-experiment".

The replies are often somehow detached from
the real questions - oddly combined groups
of words, each with a bit of "weighted relation"
(as if from a DB-Lookup), but no real sentences.

Was it Karl who had stated this suspicion first?
Dunno anymore, where I read this in the first place.

Olaf

0
Schmidt
8/19/2010 11:40:18 PM
Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now more seriously than a
year back, and have decided NOT to move to .next.

My options will be RealBasic Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
of RealBasic.

i have posted a comparision of VB6 Alternative on my blog here
http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/07/vb6-alternatives.html

0
Abhishek
8/19/2010 11:44:01 PM
"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now more seriously than
> year back, and have decided NOT to move to .next.
>
> My options will be RealBasic Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
> of RealBasic.

Heaven heard me, there is at least one more than me ;)

> i have posted a comparision of VB6 Alternative on my blog here
> http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/07/vb6-alternatives.html

/Henning

0
Henning
8/20/2010 12:02:14 AM
Because Office is MS's 2nd biggest Cash cow after Windows and 'enterprise'
licenses (and market share) mean more to them than we developers.

| Exactly, that was my next question to you guys, because MS still
| embraces VBA6 (as usual) and it is part of Word, Excel, Access,
| PowerPoint, Projects,.... I have done a lot of work using VBA, and the
| concept of just customizing and extending the functionality of these
| applications is something I have always applaud.

0
Abhishek
8/20/2010 12:08:14 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 03:51:25 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Visual Studio 6 didn't ship 1997, it shipped 1999. the guy incharge of VB6
>doesn't know when it was shipped, he is more of incharge of so called
>migration not VB6. and about the 'old code base' comment he made then VBA is
>included with even Office 2007. Office 2007 VB editor says "Visual Basic
>6.5"

Actually, Visual Studio "6" shipped in June 1998 in conjunction with
the release of Windows 98. (Remember the fanfare. Stores opening at
Midnight. <g>) If you install VS6 you will see all the folders are
labeled VC98, VB98, etc.

But it is easy to confuse VS, VB, and VC releases as 1997, 1998, and
to some extent 1999 were very busy years. VB5/6 and VC5/6 had separate
releases plus also a "Visual Studio 97", but it was marketed less as a
product and more as combined product or the new front-end for MS's
development tools. Those of us that were subscribers started getting
these items in the latter quarter of 1996.

It also gets confusing since one would be hard-pressed to draw a
single non-cosmetic line between C++ '4.2' and VC++ '6'. '5' was more
of a marketing indicator than anything else. Very much the same for
all their products at that time. MS quickly bumped all their tools to
'6' for the release of "Visual Studio 6", which had been pretty much
been considered "Visual Studio 98" up untill Marketing slapped "Visual
Studio 6" on the boxes. <g>

VC6 was released without an upgraded MFC and assorted other tools, so
a series of service packs soon followed. FoxPro also experienced
various versioning changes - and then there was the ill-faithed J++...
all with the "Visual Studio 97 IDE". That's probably where he got the
idea that VS6 shipped in 1997.

By 1999 (just previous to Windows 2000) Visual Studio "6" had come
into its glory. The service packs had brought all the tools into one
integrated package. (Though VB still had a few holes which strangely
seemed delayed and not appearing as promised. <g>) That is probably
were you got the idea VS shipped in 1999.

[Microsoft apparently has a thing for '6' - did you notice that the
"MDAC" suite became "DAC 6"?]

-ralph
0
ralph
8/20/2010 1:31:39 AM
Abhishek wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>>
>>Awesome! Now, let's say they come up with Windows 8. One should be able
>>to redistribute the run-time with my app, right?
>
> Yep, we can.

Great!

>>Interesting. Where can I obtained the OLE update? This might be useful
>>when testing apps on NT4 (I also have Virtual PC with many versions of
>>windows for testing).
>
> Not needed for new OSs, just for very old Win 95, NT w/o SP. its gets
> applied with SP, in case you still need it, its in VS CD \DCOM98\DCOM98.exe
>
> i was just playing with some OSs and decided to test my vb6 apps in it.

Thanks!

I remember the days when Win95 came out, exciting but then I became very
disappointed with all the crashes. I moved quickly to WinNT4 and that
thing was very stable (had the computer on for weeks without crashes).
However, it was very inflexible with new hardware.
0
Nando
8/20/2010 1:42:18 AM
Abhishek wrote:

> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now more seriously than a
> year back, and have decided NOT to move to .next.
>
> My options will be RealBasic Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
> of RealBasic.

I have never heard of "RealBasic" Or "PowerBasic." (What have I been
missing?) Well, I'll check the link(s), but if there is any extra
information I should know about them, could you please extend on that?
Thanks!

> i have posted a comparision of VB6 Alternative on my blog here
> http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/07/vb6-alternatives.html

0
Nando
8/20/2010 1:50:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BASIC_dialects_by_platform
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:BASIC

| I have never heard of "RealBasic" Or "PowerBasic." (What have I been
| missing?) Well, I'll check the link(s), but if there is any extra
| information I should know about them, could you please extend on that?
| Thanks!

0
Abhishek
8/20/2010 3:09:56 AM
"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message
:
: Actually, Visual Studio "6" shipped in June 1998 in conjunction with
: the release of Windows 98. (Remember the fanfare. Stores opening at
: Midnight. <g>) If you install VS6 you will see all the folders are
: labeled VC98, VB98, etc.

Oh yeah, I remember that.  Driving all the way to a section of Baltimore one
wouldn't want to leave there car at past 8 PM.  Why MSFT picked that spot,
I'll never know.  Cheap rental on the presentation room, I guess (Martin's
West for you Baltimoreans).  It was the very first event I was invited under
under my companies name, so I was kinda of excited about it.  Turned out to
be boring as hell and I left early.  The only free thing I got was a few
Win98 launch TShirts.  I still have them.  I use them as laundry day
apparel.  <g>

<snip>

: By 1999 (just previous to Windows 2000) Visual Studio "6" had come
: into its glory. The service packs had brought all the tools into one
: integrated package. (Though VB still had a few holes which strangely
: seemed delayed and not appearing as promised. <g>) That is probably
: were you got the idea VS shipped in 1999.
:

You were right about the glory part.  The golden era for MSFT developers
before the briar patch that became the marketing nightmare whose name we no
longer mention.  When MSFT wanted to be Sun/Oracle Java, but better (and
made it worse).  Ten years later, it's still a bloated mess that I don't
hear good things about the way I did when VS 6 was in it's prime.  You look
at dot next devs today, and all I see are mindless automatons who don't
really sheer their product as much as they do advertise it.  Why?  Because
MSFT knows it's no v6 of their dev suite.  For years they tried to give away
the languages and could not even do that.  Now they coerce sheeple to
evangelise for them for various little perks.

I miss those golden days when most devs got along, different languages, one
uint.  Now it's a bloody wasteland where it's every manf or himself.  Hardly
the MSFT I remember.  Now they have Google and Facebook to worry about, and
as usual are years behind the times trying to catch up with the failure that
is dot next.  One could never build a FB or a Twitter with dot next.

MSFT should have stuck with what they knew and made improvements from there,
instead of attempting to redeux Java.  dot next may end up killing MSFT
anyway.

Thanks Ballmer, Bill and anyone else who killed COM.  May Win8 save you.

0
Kevin
8/20/2010 3:22:15 AM
Henning wrote:
> Abhishek wrote:
>> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
>> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now more seriously than
>> year back, and have decided NOT to move to .next.
>>
>> My options will be RealBasic Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
>> of RealBasic.

"That's why our [PowerBASIC's] entire Win32 compiler, including all
library code to be linked, is smaller than 265K"
(powerbasic.com/aboutpb.asp)

WOW!!!

Never heard of these platforms. I'll keep reading the other homepages...

> Heaven heard me, there is at least one more than me ;)
>

>> i have posted a comparision of VB6 Alternative on my blog here
>> http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/07/vb6-alternatives.html
>>

> /Henning

0
Nando
8/20/2010 4:28:00 AM
Henning wrote:
> Abhishek wrote:
>> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
>> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now more seriously than
>> year back, and have decided NOT to move to .next.
>>
>> My options will be RealBasic Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
>> of RealBasic.
>
> Heaven heard me, there is at least one more than me ;)

Also I don't know if it would be possible with these platforms, but I
don't feel like supporting MS exclusively anymore (they don't deserve
that), so why not adopting a platform that would allow for both (Windows
and Linux) and with one source code if possible ;)

I do recall reading somewhere of a project called "wine" (how can I
forget that delicious name!) which tried to recreate the entire Win32
API in Linux.
0
Nando
8/20/2010 4:42:21 AM
"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now
> more seriously than a year back, and have decided
> NOT to move to .next. My options will be RealBasic
> Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
> of RealBasic.

If VB6 ever does go completely belly up (and if I decide to stick both with
Basic and with Windoze, which is by no means certain) then I would probably
go for PowerBasic myself, although I'm not that keen on having a separate
compiler and GUI. There do seem to be some really nice ideas in it, some of
which are so simple in concept and yet so useful that I wonder VB never did
any of them, such as the facility for having four programmer specifiable
floats and two integers in each sub or function held in CPU registers. From
a quick look at the specs, the graphics don't seem to have some of the extra
goodies I would have liked, but maybe they actually are available but just
not mentioned in the specs on their web page. The price is a bit much for a
hobbyist ($199 for the compiler and a further $99 for the GUI) but I suppose
I spend that sort of money on wine in a few months, whereas hopefully
PowerBasic would last me for years :-)

Mike

0
Mike
8/20/2010 8:51:00 AM
PB v8 Complier is $49, Current version v9 is $199

| not mentioned in the specs on their web page. The price is a bit much for
| hobbyist ($199 for the compiler and a further $99 for the GUI) but I
suppose
| I spend that sort of money on wine in a few months, whereas hopefully
| PowerBasic would last me for years :-)
|
| Mike

0
Abhishek
8/20/2010 12:13:42 PM
I thought that this newsgroup was for VB6, not for powerbasic, patnerbasic
or whateverbasic.

Powerbasic does as far as I can follow this link on Wikepedia not even
follow the language specification from vb6, which is in VB10 included for at
least 90%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerbasic

By the way, Microsoft gives software tools as freeware while also the
programs created with it are completely free to deploy.

Cor

"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
> "Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sticking to the topic, about VB6 and Beyong.
>> Personally I am trying/testing alternative to VB6 now
>> more seriously than a year back, and have decided
>> NOT to move to .next. My options will be RealBasic
>> Or PowerBasic, but i dont really like the IDE
>> of RealBasic.
>
> If VB6 ever does go completely belly up (and if I decide to stick both
> with Basic and with Windoze, which is by no means certain) then I would
> probably go for PowerBasic myself, although I'm not that keen on having a
> separate compiler and GUI. There do seem to be some really nice ideas in
> it, some of which are so simple in concept and yet so useful that I wonder
> VB never did any of them, such as the facility for having four programmer
> specifiable floats and two integers in each sub or function held in CPU
> registers. From a quick look at the specs, the graphics don't seem to have
> some of the extra goodies I would have liked, but maybe they actually are
> available but just not mentioned in the specs on their web page. The price
> is a bit much for a hobbyist ($199 for the compiler and a further $99 for
> the GUI) but I suppose I spend that sort of money on wine in a few months,
> whereas hopefully PowerBasic would last me for years :-)
>
> Mike

0
Cor
8/20/2010 3:16:44 PM
:I thought that this newsgroup was for VB6, not for powerbasic, patnerbasic
: or whateverbasic.
:

Pot, meet kettle.  Racist pig.

0
Kevin
8/20/2010 3:26:34 PM
Is your name Cor or short form of MSCOREE.DLL ? lol

"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
|I thought that this newsgroup was for VB6, not for powerbasic, patnerbasic
| or whateverbasic.

Go away.

| By the way, Microsoft gives software tools as freeware while also the
| programs created with it are completely free to deploy.

Its part of promoting their platform, they also gave away VB6 Control
Creation Edition when ActiveX was new.

0
Abhishek
8/20/2010 5:34:35 PM
oh, fan boy you forgot something on that page

*PowerBASIC is a native-code BASIC compiler whose reported merits are its
simplicity of use and its speed compared to other languages.
*PowerBASIC programs are self-contained and do not require runtime files to
execute

"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
|I thought that this newsgroup was for VB6, not for powerbasic, patnerbasic

0
Abhishek
8/20/2010 5:59:07 PM
Cor wrote:

> Powerbasic does as far as I can follow this link on Wikepedia not even
> follow the language specification from vb6, which is in VB10 included
> for at least 90%. <snipped>
>
> By the way, Microsoft gives software tools as freeware while also the
> programs created with it are completely free to deploy.

To lead into error of thought or action, especially by intentionally
deceiving is called misleading.

These tools allow to develop directly for the Windows platform (and
beyond), something MS is denying to developers.

10 years ago, MS betrayed its best friend (the Windows developer), that
was the VB6 and Visual Studio 6 user. By cutting off
application-development for Windows and breaking all languages
compatibility, MS looked to corner developers to develop for blatantnet,
joining MS's holly war for controlling the Internet against the
increasing success and adoption of Java, with IBM and Sun. 10 years
later, the so called "new programming infrastructure of the Internet"
strategy is still something MS is betting on. MS have to understand they
need to satisfy every development need, and allow developers to program
directly for the OS and not for blatantnet.

The betrayal and strategy are still on today. What MS is doing to its
developers is *wrong.* MS needs to acknowledge this and either do the
right think by satisfying *all* developers' needs or it must learn
once-for-all to be *quiet* and stop the continuous *jealousy* on
emerging technologies.
0
Nando
8/20/2010 9:58:40 PM
After serious thinking Cor wrote :
> I thought that this newsgroup was for VB6, not for powerbasic, patnerbasic or
> whateverbasic.
>
> Powerbasic does as far as I can follow this link on Wikepedia not even follow
> the language specification from vb6, which is in VB10 included for at least
> 90%.

PowerBasic is an excelent platfrom.  I highly recommend it.

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/21/2010 12:40:01 AM

> oh, fan boy you forgot something on that page
>
> *PowerBASIC is a native-code BASIC compiler whose reported merits are its
> simplicity of use and its speed compared to other languages.
> *PowerBASIC programs are self-contained and do not require runtime files
> execute

No for sure not, Basic is an old scholar program language used as base by
Alan and Gates to create Basic A.

But that is far away from the language specification 6 from Visual Basic.
That one contains also elements which are inherited from Pascal and other
languages.

0
Cor
8/21/2010 6:57:05 AM
>> "Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> oh, fan boy you forgot something on that page
>> *PowerBASIC is a native-code BASIC compiler whose
>> reported merits are its simplicity of use and its speed
>> compared to other languages. *PowerBASIC programs
>> are self-contained and do not require runtime files to execute
>
> No for sure not

Well I don't know whether you are challenging the quoted extract or are
agreeing with it because your Pidgin English makes it very difficult to
follow what you say, so I'll let that one go for the moment . . .

> Basic is an old scholar program language used as
> base by Alan and Gates to create Basic A.

Alan and Gates certainly did look around for an existing product or some
existing code that had not been patented and take it for their own and
develop it further, a business practice Micro$oft continue to this day,
except of course these days they don't bother so much about whether it is
already patented because their billion dollar team of lawyers and the palms
they have already greased will usually prevent the small guys from
challenging them, but WTF has your statement got to do with the quoted
extract to which you are responding!

There is something seriously wrong inside your head, Cor. You respond to a
statement someone has made and your response has nothing whatsoever to do
with that statement, but is in fact a response to some completely different
statement that you seem to have made up inside your own befuddled brain.

It's a bit like watching that old comedy sketch where one person asks a
stream of questions and the person answering them in fact answers the
previous question instead of the current one. It can be quite hilarious,
although not as funny as you make it of course because your own version has
the added comedy advantage of the answers not only being answers to the
wrong question but also being in Pidgin English. Other people have mentioned
this about you, so it is not only myself that thinks it. You really do need
to go and get your brain rewired, Cor.

Mike

0
Mike
8/21/2010 9:19:27 AM
Mike,

Don't show so often that you are proud that you have learned English in
Kindergarten.

I forever get the idea that it was the last education you got.

Cor

> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>>> "Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> oh, fan boy you forgot something on that page
>>> *PowerBASIC is a native-code BASIC compiler whose
>>> reported merits are its simplicity of use and its speed
>>> compared to other languages. *PowerBASIC programs
>>> are self-contained and do not require runtime files to execute
>>
>> No for sure not
>
> Well I don't know whether you are challenging the quoted extract or are
> agreeing with it because your Pidgin English makes it very difficult to
> follow what you say, so I'll let that one go for the moment . . .
>
>> Basic is an old scholar program language used as
>> base by Alan and Gates to create Basic A.
>
> Alan and Gates certainly did look around for an existing product or some
> existing code that had not been patented and take it for their own and
> develop it further, a business practice Micro$oft continue to this day,
> except of course these days they don't bother so much about whether it is
> already patented because their billion dollar team of lawyers and the
> palms they have already greased will usually prevent the small guys from
> challenging them, but WTF has your statement got to do with the quoted
> extract to which you are responding!
>
> There is something seriously wrong inside your head, Cor. You respond to a
> statement someone has made and your response has nothing whatsoever to do
> with that statement, but is in fact a response to some completely
> different statement that you seem to have made up inside your own
> befuddled brain.
>
> It's a bit like watching that old comedy sketch where one person asks a
> stream of questions and the person answering them in fact answers the
> previous question instead of the current one. It can be quite hilarious,
> although not as funny as you make it of course because your own version
> has the added comedy advantage of the answers not only being answers to
> the wrong question but also being in Pidgin English. Other people have
> mentioned this about you, so it is not only myself that thinks it. You
> really do need to go and get your brain rewired, Cor.
>
> Mike

0
Cor
8/21/2010 2:44:05 PM

> Mike, Don't show so often that you are proud that you
> have learned English in Kindergarten. I forever get the
> idea that it was the last education you got.

That's the spirit, Cor. Stand up for yourself like a man. Keep up the
pretence, and keep up the good work. You are turning into a really
entertaining troll now, rather than the dull and unimaginative troll you
started out as. This is gonna' be fun :-)

By the way, Cor, forever is a long time. You cannot forever get an idea
about my own education because it would mean that you are going to be alive
forever, which is unlikely to be the case, and it would also mean that you
would be forever getting the same idea, time after time. It doesn't really
make a lot of sense, Cor. But then most of your posts do not make much
sense, although they are very entertaining nonetheless.

Keep it up Cor. This place would be very much poorer without entertaining
trolls such as yourself.

Mike

0
Mike
8/21/2010 8:49:30 PM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

> Mike. Don't show so often that you are proud that you
> have learned English in Kindergarten. I forever get the
> idea that it was the last education you got.

Hi Cor. Really nice to hear from you again. This is such fun, isn't it? I do
like a good t�te-�-t�te with a troll such as yourself. When I say
"t�te-�-t�te", I of course do not want you to take that literally. I would
not actually like to come face to face with you (I mean, what a frightening
face), although judging by your MVP profile photo I'm sure that lots of
"girly" boys would like to put something close to it! By the way, I see from
your MVP profile that you are a typewriter mechanic. I bet that's an
interesting job. Much more interesting than being an engineer, or a humble
taxi driver, that's for sure. It is so nice to have these little chats with
someone from "the other side", so to speak. It is sometimes very difficult
for a man to understand people like you and I am grateful to have this
opportunity of conversing with you and trying to understand how your little
brain ticks. I do have a major problem with your preference for children
though. I think that is going to be a hard one to swallow (I'm sure you've
said that phrase many times before!). This is going to be really good fun,
Cor, as I'm sure you will agree. Hope to hear from you again from soon.

Mike

0
Mike
8/21/2010 9:36:13 PM
Nobody wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>> <snipped>
>>
>> 1) I can program directly for the OS and not for a bulky bulky platform.
>> 2) The new development platform and language are as efficient as VB6.
>>
>> *Question 2)* Does Microsoft currently have such a platform?
>
> No, except VC++ unmanaged projects. This doesn't rely on the .Nxt runtime,
> but the minimum OS to run your app is Windows 2000. It's the only language
> that is part of Visual Studio that does that, but MS seems to be making the
> most effort on .Nxt languages.
>
>> If not, what are the chances MS releases such a platform before 2019?
>
> Almost non-existent, but things could change if MS thinks it will make them
> more sales.

I found this site which brings a petition for the development of
unmanaged VB6 and VBA6, and proposes MS to include an updated version
called "VB.COM" Petitions can be signed at the end of the page.

<http://classicvb.org/petition/>

So far "14444 signatories including 265 Microsoft MVPs since March 8th,
2005."
0
Nando
8/22/2010 5:52:50 AM
You want to show you good education?

> By the way, Cor, forever is a long time. You cannot forever get an idea
> about my own education because it would mean that you are going to be
> alive forever, which is unlikely to be the case, and it would also mean
> that you would be forever getting the same idea, time after time.

So give than a solution instead of only telling what is wrong.

Dutch and English have not such different semantics, although because of
that language became written, the words have changed. Before the battle of
Hastings even the words were more likely to each other.

Our word "Altijd" can be translated for Always, while I thought "(voor)
eeuwig" to forever. "Eeuwig" is is more persistently then "Altijd".

So I wanted to express "behaviour without any chance on a change", do you
have a better word; I mean better not just synonyms, those I can get from a
dictionary.

You know, I did not learn English on a Kindergarten.

I mean of course a word not only used in your borough,  but all over the
world where English is spoken.

Thanks,

Cor

0
Cor
8/22/2010 2:37:39 PM
:
: So give than a solution instead of only telling what is wrong.
:
: Dutch and English have not such different semantics, although because of
: that language became written, the words have changed. Before the battle of
: Hastings even the words were more likely to each other.
:
: Our word "Altijd" can be translated for Always, while I thought "(voor)
: eeuwig" to forever. "Eeuwig" is is more persistently then "Altijd".
:
: So I wanted to express "behaviour without any chance on a change", do you
: have a better word; I mean better not just synonyms, those I can get from
: dictionary.
:
: You know, I did not learn English on a Kindergarten.
:
: I mean of course a word not only used in your borough,  but all over the
: world where English is spoken.
:

Careful Mike, once Cory starts talking countries, his true racist side
starts showing...after all the Dutch are so above everyone else, especially
us lowly war mongering Americans.  I'm not sure where the British fall in
his deluded schedule of hate.  But as I am part British, I'd be interested
to know.

0
Kevin
8/22/2010 4:54:59 PM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

> You want to show you good education [and other crap]?

You've totally lost me there, Cor. Your Pidgin English seems to be becoming
worse, rather than better. Would you kindly elucidate?

Michael

0
Mike
8/22/2010 6:28:49 PM

> Careful Mike, once Cory starts talking countries, his true
> racist side starts showing...after all the Dutch are so above
> everyone else, especially us lowly war mongering Americans.

I know, Kevin. I do know that Cor is a racist pig. I've seen some of his
postings which make that very clear. In fact The Netherlands, which is Cor's
homeland,  initially pretended to stay neutral when World War II broke out
in 1939, in the hope of protecting themselves from the Nazi attrocities
whilst surrendering their so called allies to them (the Dutch are a bunch of
gutless bastards!), but this failed to happen when Nazi Germany invaded the
Netherlands in May 1940 and when on  May 15, 1940, just /one day/ after the
Bombing of Rotterdam, the Dutch forces capitulated and went completely
"belly up" and surrendered. They really are a bunch of gutless pussies,
Kevin, although I suspect you know that already, as does most of the
civilised world. The entire world would today be ruled by The Nazis if Cor
and his compatriots had their way! He really is a fat faced little piglet,
as you can see from his Micro$oft MVP profile here . . .

    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx?name=cor+ligthert

Lately he seems to have changed his profile image (and who would blame him!)
so that he does not look quite as much like a child molester and he has
instead selected an image of one of the children he  . . . erm  . . .
interfaced with. But don't let that fool you. That's just one of his boys.
The real Cor Ligthert is at the link I posted above. What a gutless little
fat bastard.

Mike

0
Mike
8/22/2010 7:08:37 PM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

> You want to show you good education?

Pardon? Why would /I/ want to show /me/ something, Cor? What would be the
point of that? It would be just as silly for /me/ to show /me/ something as
it would be for /you/ to show /you/ something. Have you taken leave of your
senses?

> So give than a solution instead of only telling what is wrong.

Erm . . . Pass. Would you like to rephrase your question, Cor,  perhaps this
time saying it in English! Or do you want me to perhaps translate your
question from Dutch into English? I would certainly do that for you, Cor,
except I do not know the Dutch phrase for "I surrender". Would you like to
help me with that one? I believe it was a very popular phrase in Holland at
the time of World War II.

> You know, I did not learn English on a Kindergarten.

Yes, I can accept that Cor. In fact I can see you did not learn English
anywhere at all. But that is not your own fault, Cor, so please do not blame
yourself for it. In fact it is the fault of your Father and your
Grandfather, who both so readily and so eagerly capitulated to the Nazis
that they might as well have had their private parts up Hitler's arse. But
that's not your fault, Cor. It is not your own private parts that were up
Hitler's arse, it is the private parts of your Father and your Grandfather
that were up in that dark passage. Please do not feel bad about it.

Mike

0
Mike
8/22/2010 8:06:02 PM
If you write about history, then don't only use the classics illustrated
from your time in kindergarten.

> "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote in message
>
>> Careful Mike, once Cory starts talking countries, his true
>> racist side starts showing...after all the Dutch are so above
>> everyone else, especially us lowly war mongering Americans.
>
> I know, Kevin. I do know that Cor is a racist pig. I've seen some of his
> postings which make that very clear. In fact The Netherlands, which is
> Cor's homeland,  initially pretended to stay neutral when World War II
> broke out in 1939, in the hope of protecting themselves from the Nazi
> attrocities whilst surrendering their so called allies to them (the Dutch
> are a bunch of gutless bastards!), but this failed to happen when Nazi
> Germany invaded the Netherlands in May 1940 and when on  May 15, 1940,
> just /one day/ after the Bombing of Rotterdam, the Dutch forces
> capitulated and went completely "belly up" and surrendered. They really
> are a bunch of gutless pussies, Kevin, although I suspect you know that
> already, as does most of the civilised world. The entire world would today
> be ruled by The Nazis if Cor and his compatriots had their way! He really
> is a fat faced little piglet, as you can see from his Micro$oft MVP
> profile here . . .
>

> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx?name=cor+ligthert
>
> Lately he seems to have changed his profile image (and who would blame
> him!) so that he does not look quite as much like a child molester and he
> has instead selected an image of one of the children he  . . . erm  . . .
> interfaced with. But don't let that fool you. That's just one of his boys.
> The real Cor Ligthert is at the link I posted above. What a gutless little
> fat bastard.
>
> Mike

0
Cor
8/22/2010 8:35:26 PM
Probably to difficult for you; Dutch is a language, like English is a
language.

Although most Dutchmen speak Dutch, like most Englishmen speak English are
there more nationalities who speak Dutch, the same is for English.

I would not call you an American by the way, there are some Americans who
behave like you. But that does not make them Americans, they have that
nationality and that is it.

I've met to many Americans to let you not spoil that view from me on
Americans.

"Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote in message

> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
> :
> : So give than a solution instead of only telling what is wrong.
> :
> : Dutch and English have not such different semantics, although because of
> : that language became written, the words have changed. Before the battle
> of
> : Hastings even the words were more likely to each other.
> :
> : Our word "Altijd" can be translated for Always, while I thought "(voor)
> : eeuwig" to forever. "Eeuwig" is is more persistently then "Altijd".
> :
> : So I wanted to express "behaviour without any chance on a change", do
> you
> : have a better word; I mean better not just synonyms, those I can get
> from
> : dictionary.
> :
> : You know, I did not learn English on a Kindergarten.
> :
> : I mean of course a word not only used in your borough,  but all over the
> : world where English is spoken.
> :
>
> Careful Mike, once Cory starts talking countries, his true racist side
> starts showing...after all the Dutch are so above everyone else,
> especially
> us lowly war mongering Americans.  I'm not sure where the British fall in
> his deluded schedule of hate.  But as I am part British, I'd be interested
> to know.

0
Cor
8/22/2010 8:48:27 PM

> Although most Dutchmen speak Dutch, like most Englishmen
> speak English are there more nationalities who speak Dutch,
> the same is for English.

A faced little are troll fat you Cor?

0
Mike
8/23/2010 7:14:34 AM
Keep it to your own website Mike.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2259002_whiskey-coke.html

Like your show in your email address that is the only solution for grumpy in
their own influence about VB disappointed persons like you.

But maybe can you get rid of the whiskey and try VB Net once, maybe it
brings back some pleasure in live instead of just picking on other persons
all the time. Like your fellow in Tampa (To be even more precise, I mean
that one with that Haitian name) .

Picking on persons gives not any addition to this newsgroup and classic VB.

For the rest, you are just an anonymous chicken, the most close website
where I found your name was this one.

http://web.mac.com/detellis/Mike_Williams/Home.html

By the way, you have to often made a reply on my messages, that it makes no
sense to do currently if you don't understand my English.

In past I never used a spellchecker for the newsgroups, but that is changed
since I use Windows Live for the newsgroups, therefore so bad it cannot be.

Cor

> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>
>> Although most Dutchmen speak Dutch, like most Englishmen
>> speak English are there more nationalities who speak Dutch,
>> the same is for English.
>
> A faced little are troll fat you Cor?

0
Cor
8/23/2010 10:01:41 AM
"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

>  In fact The Netherlands, which is Cor's homeland,  initially pretended to
> stay neutral when World War II broke out in 1939, in the hope of
> protecting themselves from the Nazi attrocities whilst surrendering their
> so called allies to them (the Dutch are a bunch of gutless bastards!), but
> this failed to happen when Nazi Germany invaded the Netherlands in May
> 1940 and when on  May 15, 1940, just /one day/ after the Bombing of
> Rotterdam, the Dutch forces capitulated and went completely "belly up" and
> surrendered. They really are a bunch of gutless pussies,

Be careful, if everybody avioded the war untill December 1941 then Germany
would have already won the war. In all fairness the Dutch had a tiny army
which had they fought would have been wiped out really quickly while the
largest non-combative army sat on the fence for a further 19 months until
Germany declared war on them a few days after Pearl Harbour.

Sorry to tell the truth here, certainly Cor is a troll of the first order
but let's not perpetuate the myth that America won WWII single handed.

Sits back and waits for the affronted Americans

DaveO.

0
DaveO
8/23/2010 10:13:10 AM
[...]

Yeah, hasn't anyone told you that posting your wet dreams is a really
classless thing to do?  I mean, not that you ever had any, but still.
Gross.  I guess this makes you a homo as well, eh?

And one small FYI, ass lick, my name is French in origin...not
haitian...LMAO!!!!!   haitian.  Not only did you completely get the wrong
Mike Williams in your pathetic attempt to dox the fellow, but your sense of
geography is completely ass backwards too.  You're not good at this Cory.
Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself and go back to the MSFT sandbox.
You'll be safer there.

0
Kevin
8/23/2010 11:24:04 AM
You seems to have not much experience in newsgroups.

They show up in newsgroups all the time at the end of those.

In this message thread for instance, I show up like a troll but for sure not
in other news threads in this newsgroup.

Commonly that is in this newsgroup the case with Mike Williams and Kevin
Provance.

About the war in Europe, despite the "classics illustrated" view, was that
war won by the Soviets, which took a large part of Poland and other
countries.

The invasion of Poland was in fact the reason why Britain and French
declared war to Germany, because they had a treaty with Poland to come in
action in that case. Despite that treaty they did nothing more than declare
the war and were probably hopping that it would stay with that Chamberlain
action (The British prime minister who sold in 1938 Czechoslovakia to the
Nazis).

The result is written on this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France

If you are able to read it in another language than English or any other war
involved language, (for instance Spanish) then I would advise you to do that
as well.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalla_de_Francia

The 'classics illustrated' view is not alone in colouring history to readers
wish.

Cor

"DaveO" <djo@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
>
>>  In fact The Netherlands, which is Cor's homeland,  initially pretended
>> to stay neutral when World War II broke out in 1939, in the hope of
>> protecting themselves from the Nazi attrocities whilst surrendering their
>> so called allies to them (the Dutch are a bunch of gutless bastards!),
>> but this failed to happen when Nazi Germany invaded the Netherlands in
>> May 1940 and when on  May 15, 1940, just /one day/ after the Bombing of
>> Rotterdam, the Dutch forces capitulated and went completely "belly up"
>> and surrendered. They really are a bunch of gutless pussies,
>
> Be careful, if everybody avioded the war untill December 1941 then Germany
> would have already won the war. In all fairness the Dutch had a tiny army
> which had they fought would have been wiped out really quickly while the
> largest non-combative army sat on the fence for a further 19 months until
> Germany declared war on them a few days after Pearl Harbour.
>
> Sorry to tell the truth here, certainly Cor is a troll of the first order
> but let's not perpetuate the myth that America won WWII single handed.
>
> Sits back and waits for the affronted Americans
>
> DaveO.

0
Cor
8/23/2010 11:47:43 AM
"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

> Keep it to your own website Mike.
> http://www.ehow.com/how_2259002_whiskey-coke.html

That's not a website for me, Cor. There is no way I would ever drink whisky
with an "e" in it. I drink Scotch. My newsgroup email address does not have
an "e" in it, and neither does my whisky.

> Picking on persons gives not any addition to this
> newsgroup and classic VB.

I am not trying to add something to the newsgroup when I reply to your troll
posts, Ligthert, I am trying to take something away, namely the troll Cor
Ligthert. Failing to respond does not work with you, because you just
continue to troll anyway, so I'm hoping that picking on you might do the
trick. It's worked before with others.

> For the rest, you are just an anonymous chicken, the most
> close website where I found your name was this one.
> http://web.mac.com/detellis/Mike_Williams/Home.html

That's not me, Ligthert, you silly boy. If you click the "mission" link on
that page you will see that he lives in the Dominican Republic, whereas I do
not. You really are a silly boy. But I think this might be you when you were
at university studying sociology and when you actually had some hair:

http://www.ted.com/profiles/view/id/143031

.. . . and this is most definitely you now that you have lost all your hair
and have a fat chubby face that looks like a smacked arse:

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx?name=cor+ligthert

Mike

0
Mike
8/23/2010 12:13:43 PM
| while the
| largest non-combative army sat on the fence for a further 19 months until
| Germany declared war on them a few days after Pearl Harbour.
|
| Sorry to tell the truth here, certainly Cor is a troll of the first order
| but let's not perpetuate the myth that America won WWII single handed.

   Mike never said anything about the US. He himself is
British. And I don't think anyone would claim that the
US "won WW2 singlehandedly". This thread has already
degenerated into pointless mudslinging. It'd be nice if
if we could avoid starting a new subthread for "resentful
nationalists".

0
Mayayana
8/23/2010 12:47:37 PM
"DaveO" <djo@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> Sorry to tell the truth here, certainly Cor is a troll of
> the first order but let's not perpetuate the myth that
> America won WWII single handed.

Well I never suggested they did. In fact it was mainly we British and our
Commonwealth partners who held the fort until the American government
allowed Pearl Harbor to be bombed by the Japanese, even though they had
advance knowledge of the planned attack, thereby enraging the American
public to such an extent that their previous resistance to entering the war
was almost totally diminished. If Pearl Harbor had not been bombed, and if
America had not entered the war, then the outcome would almost certainly
have been very different, but the Americans (apart from John Wayne of
course!) certainly did not win the war single handed, that's for sure. They
were a great help though, and I for one am extremely thankful for them doing
what they did.

Mike

0
Mike
8/23/2010 12:49:15 PM
:
: http://www.ted.com/profiles/view/id/143031
:

University of Amsterdam, huh?  That sure does explain a lot.  Show me anyone
there who isn't high on hash 24/7.  Maybe that's Cory's problem, he can put
sentences together because he's burnt out.

0
Kevin
8/23/2010 1:10:19 PM
Cor - although I smile when I read your rubbish on here concerning .nxt, I
have tried it and hated it.  It is NOT even a language and it certainly is
NOT basic in any way, shape or form.  It's nothing but a bunch of Java
wanna-be classes put together and compiled into or from framework.  It
creates a complicated programming environment, which is not needed to
accomplish the task at hand.

Please go away and leave us alone here.  Noone here is interested in
changing over to microjerk's new crap to make themselves look bigger and
smarter than they actually are.  You're a jerk and do not know of what you
speak in almost every post I have read of yours.  Why do you continue to
bother people here with rubbish you are spewing in every direction?

Just my opinion, from what I have read, you ARE what they say you are - so
please leave!

Steve

"Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
> Keep it to your own website Mike.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_2259002_whiskey-coke.html
>
> Like your show in your email address that is the only solution for grumpy
> in their own influence about VB disappointed persons like you.
>
> But maybe can you get rid of the whiskey and try VB Net once, maybe it
> brings back some pleasure in live instead of just picking on other persons
> all the time. Like your fellow in Tampa (To be even more precise, I mean
> that one with that Haitian name) .
>
> Picking on persons gives not any addition to this newsgroup and classic
> VB.
>
> For the rest, you are just an anonymous chicken, the most close website
> where I found your name was this one.
>
> http://web.mac.com/detellis/Mike_Williams/Home.html
>
> By the way, you have to often made a reply on my messages, that it makes
> no sense to do currently if you don't understand my English.
>
> In past I never used a spellchecker for the newsgroups, but that is
> changed since I use Windows Live for the newsgroups, therefore so bad it
> cannot be.
>
> Cor
>
> "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
>> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>>
>>> Although most Dutchmen speak Dutch, like most Englishmen
>>> speak English are there more nationalities who speak Dutch,
>>> the same is for English.
>>
>> A faced little are troll fat you Cor?

0
Steve
8/23/2010 1:25:53 PM
Steve,

No chance I respond seriously to trolls like you in this newsgroup anymore.

Cor

"Steve Smith" <ab8yy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Cor - although I smile when I read your rubbish on here concerning .nxt, I
> have tried it and hated it.  It is NOT even a language and it certainly is
> NOT basic in any way, shape or form.  It's nothing but a bunch of Java
> wanna-be classes put together and compiled into or from framework.  It
> creates a complicated programming environment, which is not needed to
> accomplish the task at hand.
>
> Please go away and leave us alone here.  Noone here is interested in
> changing over to microjerk's new crap to make themselves look bigger and
> smarter than they actually are.  You're a jerk and do not know of what you
> speak in almost every post I have read of yours.  Why do you continue to
> bother people here with rubbish you are spewing in every direction?
>
> Just my opinion, from what I have read, you ARE what they say you are - so
> please leave!
>
> Steve
>
> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
>> Keep it to your own website Mike.
>>
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_2259002_whiskey-coke.html
>>
>> Like your show in your email address that is the only solution for grumpy
>> in their own influence about VB disappointed persons like you.
>>
>> But maybe can you get rid of the whiskey and try VB Net once, maybe it
>> brings back some pleasure in live instead of just picking on other
>> persons all the time. Like your fellow in Tampa (To be even more precise,
>> I mean that one with that Haitian name) .
>>
>> Picking on persons gives not any addition to this newsgroup and classic
>> VB.
>>
>> For the rest, you are just an anonymous chicken, the most close website
>> where I found your name was this one.
>>
>> http://web.mac.com/detellis/Mike_Williams/Home.html
>>
>> By the way, you have to often made a reply on my messages, that it makes
>> no sense to do currently if you don't understand my English.
>>
>> In past I never used a spellchecker for the newsgroups, but that is
>> changed since I use Windows Live for the newsgroups, therefore so bad it
>> cannot be.
>>
>> Cor
>>
>> "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
>>> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message

>>> A faced little are troll fat you Cor?

0
Cor
8/23/2010 1:57:58 PM

> Steve,
> No chance I respond seriously to trolls
> like you in this newsgroup anymore.

I hope you mean that you are not going to respond to anybody any more, and
that you are going to leave this group alone. That would certainly be the
best thing you could do, Cor. Just take your face that looks like a smacked
arse and feed it to the dotnet groups instead.

Mike

0
Mike
8/23/2010 2:45:54 PM
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:47:45 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>a separate "House of Lords" which consists of all the inbred idiotic
>prats who have not been elected by anyone and who have qualified for their
>position simply by being born to another existing inbred idiotic prat whose
>ancestor was elevated to that position centuries ago by the inbred idiotic
>King or Queen (so that they and all their ancestors and all their
>descendents are also Lords and idiotic prats!).

In my opinion being one of the nobility simply means that the first of
your ancestors in the nobility happened to be the most ruthless and
blood thirsty individual around.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
8/24/2010 12:30:38 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:42:21 -0400, Nando
<hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote:

>I do recall reading somewhere of a project called "wine" (how can I
>forget that delicious name!) which tried to recreate the entire Win32
>API in Linux.

Unsurprisingly the most Windows apps being supported are games.   Also
unsurprising is the MS Office is very hard to get working under Wine.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
8/24/2010 12:32:41 AM
Tony Toews wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>
>> I do recall reading somewhere of a project called "wine" (how can I
>> forget that delicious name!) which tried to recreate the entire Win32
>> API in Linux.
>
> Unsurprisingly the most Windows apps being supported are games.   Also
> unsurprising is the MS Office is very hard to get working under Wine.

Maybe that is the reason why MS like to use so many undocumented
functions in their products.
0
Nando
8/24/2010 3:09:21 AM
Why would you use MS Office in Linux anyway?  Openoffice is soooo much
better even in Windows....

Steve

"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:42:21 -0400, Nando
> <hightech@att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote:
>
>>I do recall reading somewhere of a project called "wine" (how can I
>>forget that delicious name!) which tried to recreate the entire Win32
>>API in Linux.
>
> Unsurprisingly the most Windows apps being supported are games.   Also
> unsurprising is the MS Office is very hard to get working under Wine.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>  updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

0
Steve
8/24/2010 3:46:23 AM
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:47:45 +0100, "Mike Williams"
> <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:
>
>>a separate "House of Lords" which consists of all the inbred
>> idiotic prats who have not been elected by anyone and who have
>> qualified for their position simply by being born to another existing
>> inbred idiotic prat whose ancestor was elevated to that position
>> centuries ago by the inbred idiotic King or Queen (so that they
>> and all their ancestors and all their descendents are also Lords
>> and idiotic prats!).
>
> In my opinion being one of the nobility simply means that the first
> of your ancestors in the nobility happened to be the most ruthless
> and blood thirsty individual around.

Yep. That's pretty much what I think as well. I often think it whilst I am
writing Visual Basic code (just to keep this ever so slightly on topic!). In
those days it was all too easy for the local thugs and gangsters to
terrorise the population and steal most of their property and take all the
land. Our so called royal family (and the so called royal families of all
countries who still have them) are the descendents of thieves and thugs and
gangsters and it is about time we got rid of them all and took away their
ill gotten gains.

Mike

0
Mike
8/24/2010 8:32:53 AM

> Why would you use MS Office in Linux anyway?
> Openoffice is soooo much better even in Windows....

I agree. My wife uses Micro$oft Publisher 2007 on her new Windows 7 machine
and it has numerous bugs, some of which are new bugs which are really,
really annoying and which were not present when running the same program
under Windows Vista. What a load of crap! Micro$oft are a bunch of tossers!
It's all deliberate, of course. A ploy to make you rush out and buy the new
Office 2010 stuff, which will in any case almost certainly turn out to be
full of bugs itself.

Mike

0
Mike
8/24/2010 8:39:54 AM
Ain't that the truth!  Micosoft hasn't put out anything useful since VB6 and
probably won't.  Each version of Windows is a new "virus" looking for
computers to infect and then you have the endless virus updates they call
"service packs".  I'm still trying to figure out who they actually service
with them!  It surely is not their customers.  Linux rules!  Unfortunately,
VB6 doesn't run in Linux - or at least not that I am aware of or figured out
yet.

Of course, the developer's customers generally use Windows, so things have
to be developed that will run in Windows anyway.

Steve

> "Steve Smith" <ab8yy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>> Why would you use MS Office in Linux anyway?
>> Openoffice is soooo much better even in Windows....
>
> I agree. My wife uses Micro$oft Publisher 2007 on her new Windows 7
> machine and it has numerous bugs, some of which are new bugs which are
> really, really annoying and which were not present when running the same
> program under Windows Vista. What a load of crap! Micro$oft are a bunch of
> tossers! It's all deliberate, of course. A ploy to make you rush out and
> buy the new Office 2010 stuff, which will in any case almost certainly
> turn out to be full of bugs itself.
>
> Mike

0
Steve
8/24/2010 11:25:09 AM
It happens that Schmidt formulated :
> "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> schrieb...
>> "Cor" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote...
>>> Be aware that whatever Net program (for VB with Option
>>> Strict On) is in general use 10 times faster and have 10 times
>>> smaller assemblies than VB6.
>>
>> Christ! Here comes the Dutch Dick Brain with his ten
>> times faster rubbish again! What a clown!
>
> He really comes over like a bot or some weird
> "AI-experiment".
>
> The replies are often somehow detached from
> the real questions - oddly combined groups
> of words, each with a bit of "weighted relation"
> (as if from a DB-Lookup), but no real sentences.
>
> Was it Karl who had stated this suspicion first?
> Dunno anymore, where I read this in the first place.

Guilty. <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
9/3/2010 8:50:25 PM
It happens that Nando formulated :
> I don't know if you have seen it, but the video is a year old, and the guy is
> one of the lead program managers for Visual Studio and the guy in charge of
> VB6.

My take on that video...

Microsoft's Support for VB6 Users Remains a Disappointment
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/10/27/microsoft-vb6-support-strategy.aspx

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

How to lobby for Windows Mobile 5 support?
I see I'm not the only one disappointed that there will be no Pocket PC / Windows Mobile support in Money 2007. I skipped the 06 upgrade because it didn't synch with WM5. I would have upgraded to 07 for this feature alone. Now I'm skipping yet another version. Anybody know how to request that Microsoft reconsider WM5 support? Better yet, anyone know of a worthwhile way to make the request as a group? I don't know how to get MS to do it, but I am with you - I would LOVE to get a WM5 version of Pocket Money. Tom -- Darryl wrote: > I see I'm not the only ...

Why Does VB6 execute Excel Worksheet so Slowly?
Below is a snippet of an Excel VBA Macro that I converted to VB6. The code executes almost instantly in Excel while it takes VB6 36seconds. I've excluded all the Dim statements for brevity. There are no variant variables. All the Cell indices are defined in the sub ColumnNumber. I've added the "Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library" to the project References. Any Ideas? Thanks. Dennis ==========VB6 Code ======================================== Option Explicit Public XL As Excel.Application 'Make Global for other subroutines to use Sub main() Set XL = New Excel.Appli...

Downloading if institution provides only Quicken support?
I have an account at an institution that only provides support for Quicken. They do not provide QIF file downloads or ActiveStatements (i.e. the download needs to be set up from withing Quicken). Is there any way to get the statements into Money (other than downloading the PDF files they provide as "electronic statements" and typing in the data)? Thanks Colin ...

system.XML in VB6
I want to do some programming using XML in VB6, specifically MS Access. I have some sample VB.Net code that I can use. It has << Imports System.XML >> at the start of the code. What's the VB6 equivalent of this? I've tried using that, but it just gives an error message. Or maybe I'm putting it in the wrong place. And it doesn't recognise XML operations without it. A dotnet namespace such as System.XML is utterly meaningless in a VB6/VBA environment, and nor is there any equivalent: VB.Net is not simply a more recent version of VB6, it is totally new from...

my VB6 app does not work in a foreign country
Dear all I have written a VB6 app that mainly copies or renames files of certain folders and subfolders. To rename the files I use Name sFilename As sNewfilename to copy the files I use the Win32API function Public Declare Function CopyFileEx Lib "Kernel32.dll" Alias "CopyFileExA" (ByVal lpExistingFileName As String, ByVal lpNewFileName As String, ByVal lpProgressRoutine As Long, lpData As Any, ByRef pbCancel As Long, ByVal dwCopyFlags As Long) As Long and call it like: ret = CopyFileEx(sFilenames, sNewfilename, AddressOf CopyProgressRoutine, ByVal 0&...

Why is Access 97 so much faster than VB6 when searching?
Details: Access 97 mdb, 1.7 million records. I'm searching a text field (indexed) for a given phrase. Access 97 takes 15 secs to execute: SELECT Data.DX_MsgNum, Data.DX_Subject, Data.DX_Date FROM Data WHERE (((Data.DX_Subject) Like "*ford prefect*")); However, in VB6 I have: Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset Dim SQL as String Dim s as String s = "ford prefect" SQL = "SELECT DX_MsgNum, DX_Lines, DX_Date, " _ & "DX_Subject, DX_From FROM Data Where " _ & "DX_Subject like '%" ...

vb6 command line build option(s?)
I think I know the answer to this question before I ask, but I'll ask. I have one VB6 app that I'm trying to put into our Continuous Integration (CI) environment, which is on a dedicated "build machine". It looks like the command line way for building a vbp is like this: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Vb98\Vb6.exe" /MAKE "C:\VB Tools\Project1.vbp" Which means (if I want to build on a "build machine") that I have to bust out the CD's and install the VB6 development environment on the build machine. ..............

does this product support web services in order to integrate with.
I would like to know if the POS product supports web services in order to integrate with other systems We have built a custom RMS integration bridge using XML Web services. Contact us at "pos service 2004 at yahoo dot ca" to discuss it further. "IT Consultant" <IT Consultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF937636-A692-4A82-A882-6F4B72A0A045@microsoft.com... >I would like to know if the POS product supports web services in order to > integrate with other systems ...

can anyone recomend a credit card that supports direct statements
I'm looking for people to post credit card companies they've used which support direct statements. As of now, I know of only one (thanks to Chris Cowles' post in this forum earlier which I've confirmed with a phone call to Bank One) "...I use BankOne for a Visa card (formerly FirstUSA) because they support direct statement downloads... -- Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL" So here's the list: Credit Card companies support direct statements: 1) Bank One 2) ??? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, rk wrote: >I'm looking for people to post credit card co...

Money support ends at the end of 2011 January 31.
In case somebody is monitoring here and not at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/threads take action now for anything that might involve downloads from Microsoft for a solution. ....just in case you missed it or postponed acting. ...

First Data now Support Direct Credit Card Support
paymentsetup.com , part of First Data Independent Sales can setup built-in credit card processing with great rates. Go Check out www.paymentsetup.com now. PaymentSetup.com also offers referral programs. Vital or pc charge ? -- Thank You Harjit SherGill /DBA Altaville Market 324 South Main st po box 370 Altaville CA 95221 Tel : 209-729-1403 vendaliajat@yahoo.com "TTan88" <ttan88@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3F7F40E6-A41F-4ECB-B64F-C7ED7EBA7871@microsoft.com... > paymentsetup.com , part of First Data Independent Sales can setup built-in > credit card processing...

Are these legit responses from Microsoft Support?
I received three responses from Microsoft Support -- one of which I opened. Now I am thinking it is a fake e-mail address for Microsoft Support. The three addresses are: 00000.MSUP.NA.00.EN.SIT.PCYH.CS.OAS.TRI.00.WB@css.one.microsoft.com v-30joyh@mssupport.microsoft.com WINDO.WNUP.NA.00.EN.WIC.SHA.TS.1FL.PBA.XP.WB@css.one.microsoft.com Are any of these addresses legit???? Were they responses in reply to something you asked them? Was the content something familiar to you? "PhroggP" <PhroggP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BFE1FF3-72...

Increase the width of the Nav Bar IN CRM to support new Area Capti
I added my own Area using the sitemap file but the name on the Button is to big for the Nav Bar to view it all without manually resizing. Can I set something to increase the width of the nav bar when CRM starts up. When I say nav bar I mean the part of the screen where it has Marketing, Sales, Workplace and settings. I create my own but the Caption is to large for the default size so I have to inlarge it. Mike ...

IMAP Support ... Outlook 2003 / Verizon / iphone
In Outlook 2003, at my Verizon e-mail account, I have created folders under the "Personal Folder" entitled "Saved E-mails" with sub-folders for those e-mails I wish to keep for a while. These folders I created, do not appear for me to move e-mails into while I go thru my mail using my iphone. I have only inbox, Sent & Trash as options to move while viewing. Also, when I trash an e-mail using my iphone the message stays in Outlook as never viewed. I was advised that MS Outlook dosen't support IMAP. Is this true?? I have an AOL account that when...

Displaying Images in reports
I have a table with a text field containing the path to an image file. I use this field in the detail of a report to display the relevant picture for that particular record via a line of code in the Format Detail event (use an Image Frame rather than a Bound or Unbound Frame). There are 70+ records / images. When I open the report for viewing, the first page (of 20 pages) displays ok, if a tad on the exceedingly slow side. If I try to go to the last page of the report (via the go to last page navigation button), there is a very long wait as the report 'attempts' to get to the l...

.NET 4.0 XslCompiledTransform doesn't support forwards-compatible processing
I can understand they are not implementing new features, but to make it less conformant it's just sad. XslCompiledTransform supports forwards-compatible processing on .NET 2.0-3.5, but not in 4.0 . Vote for this issue, hopefully they'll fix it for SP1: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/559329/xslcompiledtransform-doesnt-support-forwards-compatible-processing#details ...

Reconfigure mail support under Outlook 2000
Trying to change from Internet only to 'Corporate' setting. Help file says, click tools menu, then options, then mail services tab. I don't have a mail services tab, just Preferences, Mail Delivery, Mail Format, Spelling, Security, Other. ....am I misreading something? Click on the Mail Delivery tab. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Don...

New problem installing VB6 on Win7 64 bit
I have installed VB6 on Win7 64 bit before with no problem, but this time at the very end it states that it was unable to register javasign.dll in the registry and does not complete. Even though everything seems to be there and runs OK the service packs will not install. Then state there is no Visual Studio installed on my system. I put the msjava.dll in the windows folder before installing and ran the install as administrator. Has anyone run into this problem before? Norm See if this helps... Create a file named MSJAVA.DLL (it can be 0 bytes long, the important thin...

Maximum Threads supported on Windows server 2003
Hi We are developing a server application ,we have decided to adopt windows 2003/2008 server. We want to know the theoritical analysis as for as number of threads and process these server can support considering following paramerts 1. RAM 2. No of CPU 3. 32/64 bit processor Q1 What will be the maximum limit for threads (in the same process) considering above parameter ? Q2 What will be the maximum limit for total application at a time can run,considering above parameter ? Waiting for your reply Thanks in advance Regards Manish > > > We are dev...

XML Support by Native Oracle Database Driver
To empower your .NET web services with the Oracle Database, download Oracle Data Provider for .NET (ODP.NET) from : http://otn.oracle.com/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html Try out the new features for XML support like: - Store XML data natively in the database server as the Oracle database native type, XMLType. - Access relational and object -relational data as XML data from an Oracle database instance into Microsoft .NET environment, process the XML using Microsoft .NET framework - Save changes to the database server using XML data. - Apply XSL Transformations while querying and retri...

Supporting Oracle as well as SQL Server
Hi all, I have just been asked if we can support Oracle as well as SQL Server. And what the implications are. A bit about our setup. Basically we deal in data - there is an app, but it is secondary to the data. Lots of data migrations etc. We have a complicated database schema with loads of constraints and loads of sprocs that are not written in neutral SQL. Also we use CONTEXT_INFO for auditing the username. Firstly - are there automated tools for porting to Oracle from SQL Server and rewriting all the nonstandard TSQL? And are they any good? Secondly, I'm thinking this is...

SCSI miniport driver support for multiple device.
Hi all, i am developing a scsi miniport driver and it is working fine with one hardware. if i try to connect two device and install it, it is working fine also. both devices are identical and has same h/w id and vendor ids. but the moment i restart the system it doesnot responds, machine hangs. i was checking with WinDbg but could not find anypoint where i can diagnose the problem. can you please check my initialization routine, hwInitializationData.HwInitializationDataSize = sizeof(HW_INITIALIZATION_DATA); /* Set entry points. */ hwInitializationData.HwInitial...

sdio support in windows ce 5.0
Hi Expert, I have one doubt regarding sdio support in windows ce 5.0.Which type of sdio specification is support in windows ce 5.0?Is it support sdio 1.1 compatible devices? If it does not support the same, any updates are available for make it supporting the sdio 1.1 compatible devices? Could anybody give a suggestion......... Regards, Annn On Dec 14, 8:37=A0am, Sreehari <anumanubhas...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Expert, > =A0 =A0 I have one doubt regarding sdio support in windows ce 5.0.Which > type of sdio specification is support in windows ce 5.0?Is it sup...

well im not a new user but ive never learned much beyond simple stuff
i have a spreadsheet that i would like to do the following with: ...have a spreadsheet with say 30 pages, each page labeled with a month/dom, ie May1,May2,...May30. Each page has 30,31,28,29 days as rows and then several columns days but of course the rows vary depending on the month. Now lets say I know there will be a june, july, etc sheet. I want a formula to put on each page that is the sum of column j on each page. In the unique case I can refer to mayx-cellx by a link like "='May 9'!$M$26", but I would like a generic statement that doesn't care if it is May9, or Ju...

How to support multiple selection in a tree control.
Platform: Windows 2000, VC++ .NET Hello, In my MDI application, I need to support deleting multiple items of a CTreeControl.However i can't select multiple items for deletion with the use of shift and ctrl key.As there is no provision to use shift and control key over tree.Is there some way I can support multiple selection of tree iteme? Any pointers or help would be of great use. Thanks and Regards Rinku. I have personally used part of the code in this one: http://www.techsoft.no/bendik/ This also seems reasonably good: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/multiview/a...