Unzipping without external DLLs?

Folks

I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
this answer if there is one.

I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
in Access quite well.

But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
searching with the right keywords either.

(I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)

Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
lot of useless hits.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

This works using VB6, XPSP3, add a reference to shell32.dll shell32.dll.

Sub Compress(dest As String, ZipFile As String)
     Dim myShell As Shell
     Dim FSO As Object
     Set myShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
     Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")
     FSO.CreateTextFile(ZipFile, True).WriteLine "PK" & Chr(5) & Chr(6)
& String(18, 0)
     myShell.NameSpace(ZipFile).CopyHere (dest)
     Set myShell = Nothing
     Set FSO = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
     'change to valid input and output filenames
     Compress "c:\temp\wursetup.exe", "c:\temp\wursetup.zip"
End Sub

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=284538
0
Mike
9/12/2010 5:48:13 AM
Top posted:

FSO is a bad idea in any situation.  You are assuming each end user not only
has it on their system, but has the appropriate rights to use it.  It's not
a VB6 only solution.

OP:  My first thought is to look at the info zip source code (assuming it's
still out there) and see if it's translatable to VB6.

Also - and hopefully Dee will be long for this - there was a link posted
recently that dealt with a VB6 zipping program.  I forget the title, but the
source was available.  It does use an external file, zip.exe, however.

If it's possible, and that's a big if, it's not going to be an easy task to
put together (unless you're just going to C&P someone elses code without
understanding how it works...and if so, don't tell me about it).  I would
probably look at the C code for InfoZIP and see if it's translatable to VB

Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
: > Folks
: >
:
[...]

Kevin
9/12/2010 6:02:37 AM
Tony Toews expressed precisely :
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Leo
9/12/2010 6:21:45 AM
I don't know if you can work this in your overall solution. But can you try
put the files you wna to zip/unzip into a XP compressed folder. Then the OS
will do all the work for you.
"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>  updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

0
phil
9/12/2010 12:51:48 PM
This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
components:

Archive Explorer (update 1)
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1

I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

0
Nobody
9/12/2010 2:23:25 PM
On Sep 11, 8:06=A0pm, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. =A0I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well. =A0
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code. =A0Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll? =A0I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
> =A0 updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/

The following will unzip in XP, Vista or Windows 7 with no external
dependency on your part:

'----------------------------------------------------------
'this will unzip to the same directory as the zip file
  Dim TempDir as String
  Dim Filename as String

  TempDir =3D "c:\myzipfolder\"   'or whatever path you wish to unzip to
  Filename=3D "zipfilename.zip"

    With CreateObject("Shell.Application")
        .NameSpace("" & TempDir).CopyHere .NameSpace("" &
FileName).Items
    End With

   MsgBox FileName & " unzipped!", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Zip
Test"
'------------------------------------------------------------

There is an equivalent to zip files using the Shell Namespace as well.

Tom

0
Shotgun
9/12/2010 4:32:57 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
with no dependencies.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:44:12 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:21:45 +1000, Leo <ttdhead@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
>He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
>index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Interesting..  Thanks.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:47:29 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:23:25 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
>components:
>
>Archive Explorer (update 1)
>http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1
>
>I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

Ahh, even nicer.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:51:31 PM
: On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:
:
: >Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and
work.
:
: I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
: with no dependencies.

There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
discuss it, let me know.

- Kev

0
Kevin
9/12/2010 11:04:15 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:04:15 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
>register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
>vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
>discuss it, let me know.

Yeah, I can IT admins and antivirus programs getting nervous when DLLs
suddenly appear.      I suspect I'd sooner distribute the Infozip DLLs
so they are visible and known.

But there are several other alternatives so I'll review those first.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/13/2010 12:43:05 AM
On 9/11/2010 11:21 PM, Leo wrote:
> Tony Toews expressed precisely :
>> Folks
>>
>> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
>> this answer if there is one.
>>
>> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. I'm
>> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
>> in Access quite well.
>> But this time I'd like VB6 code. Or is there an API call to use the
>> Windows zip dll? I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
>> searching with the right keywords either.
>>
>> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
>> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
>> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>>
>> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
>> lot of useless hits.
>>
>> Thanks, Tony
>
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
> He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
> index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Yes that's a much nicer solution. Edanmo did a lot of really impressive
work! I used his Scheduled Task code and it worked great.

0
Mike

Loaded dlls
Hi All, when I run my app in the debugger, I get a long list of all the dlls loaded - is there any way I can capture this info for diagnostics? Cheers, Rob Select the debug window where these messages are displayed and press Ctrl+A to select all the entries. Now press Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard and paste it to your favorite editor for viewing/printing purposes. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Rob" <a@b> wrote in message news:OP4wZ2YiDHA.3484@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > when I run my app in the debu...

Import external data function
What is the earliest version of Excel that includes the function to import external from an Oracle database? Hi Michael, > What is the earliest version of Excel that includes the function to import > external from an Oracle database? Excel 4, I think, though each version since has done it slightly differently. Excel 4 used the =SQL.REQUEST function, Excel 5 and 95 used a separate addin (via MSQuery) and Excel 97 introduced QueryTables. Regards Stephen Bullen Microsoft MVP - Excel www.oaltd.co.uk ...

how can i download offce SP without publisher disk?
Each time I have attempted to download the latest service pack for office, it has asked for the publisher disk which i no longer have. Is there a way around this? alnic <alnic@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Each time I have attempted to download the latest service pack for > office, it has asked for the publisher disk which i no longer have. > Is there a way around this? Get a new Publisher disc. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Scroll down to the bottom of the download page, there is an option to download if you don't have ...

How to print e-mails without a logo or page numbers please.
Hi, Please can anyone tell me how I can print some e-mails without having to print a company logo that appears within the e-mail. I would also like to be able to dispense with the date at the bottom of the page that appears when the e-mail is printed please. Your help would be very much appreciated. Best wishes, Coldm. -- Coldm "Coldm" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:bb50863b1aa9117ff0e0abff87faf0a1@nntp-gateway.com... > > Hi, > > Please can anyone tell me how I can print some e-mails without having > to print...

How can I export data from an Excel form into an external Excel d.
I'm trying to create a form/template that users can use to enter data. I then want this data compiled into a master Excel database that can then be analyzed. Any help/guidance would be really appreciated. Take a look at Data|Form (built into excel). If that doesn't fit your needs, look at John Walkenbach's enhanced data form: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm And if you want to see a small example, visit Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html vonda wrote: > > I'm trying to create a form/template that users can use to enter da...

How to type email addresses without the underline and blue print?
I am creating a school directory and some of the addresses have underscores. So I want it to print with the automatic blue printing and underline. This will be in the form of a hard copy only. Thank You Your subject line says you want the address without blue and underscore but your messages says you want the blue and underscore. ?????? Lets go with making it blue with underscore. Highlite the address, change the font color to blue and select the underscore button. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Grace" <Grace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7854A597-914F-4...

editing .pub files without publisher
Is there anyway to get a publisher created file to read on word or on a computer with out any office software? I was handed a publisher file that needs to be edited for a group of about 30 and only 3 of us have publisher. Some don't have any office programs at all. I need something simple so they can all add the own info to the Doc. and not many are very IT literate. You are asking the impossible. Have the three Publisher user's edit the document. The other folks can offer suggestions, even images. You don't need an Office product to share images or text, but you do need Pub...

External Incoming email not recieved
Hi, Im in a bit of a bind here, lots of clients that need to be recieving their email can not recieve from their external contacts. We are able to send to external email and internal mail works fine. We are using SurfControl email filter. Looking at the monitor it shows that it is recieving all the email just fine and sorting the junk email by rules. Its job after filtering all the email is to send it on to the exchange server, but when it tries to send it i get the error "Incomplete SMTP session. Cause:Remote host disconnected.(IP:xxx.xx.x.x) I can ping the IP that it gives me and it...

External Application
Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to write into an applicationt that will only work on a flash drive (removable) or a mapped drive rather than a physical drive? Many thanks in advanced Not to worry - resolved now "Crouchie1998" wrote: > Hi All, > > Can anyone tell me how to write into an applicationt that will only work on > a flash drive (removable) or a mapped drive rather than a physical drive? > > Many thanks in advanced ...

Foward mail to an external email account
Hi Guys, Can anyone point me in the right direction, on how to configure an exchange 2003 mailbox to forward a copy of all emails that are received, back out to another third party mail account (ie hotmail). Thanks in advance Dan Create a dummy user, add smtp address that equals the hotmail address. and forward to dummy user. "Dan the man" <Dantheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1FCDB88-1213-45D7-9B23-0E1640D86C1D@microsoft.com... > Hi Guys, > > Can anyone point me in the right direction, on how to configure an > exchange > 2003 ma...

How do I create an original logo WITHOUT design gallery objects ?
I want to create an original logo but do not like any of the existing styles in the design gallery. how do I create a new one? changing the elements in a design gallery object is too restrictive. what format do I open to create such a design? Publisher has an array of auto shapes, a simple logo is best. Experiment with different shapes. A draw program. DrawPlus is free. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "libbybolt" <libbybolt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC71CBB0-B2C9-4488-8063-8D3689448DA5@microsoft.com.....

Sending mail to users without an exchange mailbox to an isp
Here's the situation. (Using Exchange 2003 on SBS2003) I have a few laptop users that ONLY use Outlook with our ISP's POP3 server to get their email. They have no exchange profile or mailbox. All my other users in the domain using exchange (ambess.local) have email aliases for ambess.local and ambess.com, so if someone sent an email to either address, exchange knows what mailbox to dump it in. But if I try sending an email to someone without a mailbox, say, joe@ambess.com, I get an failure stating that the mailbox could not be found. Messages to people not in the domain, like phot...

How do I create letterhead for others to use without changing the
I can't figure out how to save the letterhead design I've created so that others can just open up a word document and start typing their letter, invoice etc... How do I protect the creative and make the curser automatically start where a user's written document should begin?? Have you saved your design as a graphic and inserted it into the header of a Word template? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "CarenG" <CarenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:923E2FA4-E356-48E...

Logon to OWA without domain name
Is there a way to setup my OWA so that I can type just the username, instead of domain\username? "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:gz2Dc.2397$pT3.482@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com... > Is there a way to setup my OWA so that I can type just the username, instead > of domain\username? You need to set the Default Authentication Domain (click the button next to 'Basic Authentication') for the 'Exchange' Virtual Directory in IIS Manager. Lee. -- _______________________________________ Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP: www.leederby...

"Hello World" without a Semicolon ";"
I can write a Java program that can print "hello, world", while the source code does not contain a semicolon: class Main { public static void main( java.lang.String[] args ) { if( java.lang.System.out.printf( "hello, world%n" )== null ){} }} Can a program be written in C# (using only the standard libraries), that prints "hello, world" and whose source code does not contain a semicolon �;�? Stefan Ram wrote: > I can write a Java program that can print "hello, world", > while the source code does not contain a semico...

how do justify text in linked textboxes without hyphernation
I am trying to do a newsletter with linked text boxes. When I paste an article into the boxes I can not get them to fit properly. What I get is words hyphernating next to the edge. I would like to justify and get the words fitting in. How can I do this Do you have the paragraphs set for justified? If you want to control the hyphenation manually, Tools - Language - Hyphenation - Clear "Automatically hyphenate this story" -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Naida" <Naida@discussions.microsoft...

Calculating cells on workbook_open failing without message
I have to refresh 2 cells when the workbook is opened. I have an On Error surrounding my code that gets run. The err.Description is always empty yet my error message box is being shown and my cells don't open. Each of the two cells are named - pdate and fdate. They call a function which is located in an addin. I can manually update these by clicking F2 and pressing enter in each cell. Any idea what to look at? Once person said that something else that depends on these cells may be failing and the error just isn't being displayed. Thanks, Joe Hello, When m...

How can I assign a value to a cell without putting a formula in it
I have one cell (C33) that has a list validation attached to it. The list (column A on a separate sheet called Data_text) is a series of text statements that the user can select from the drop drown. I have a second cell (C44) that has a Vlookup formula based on the contents of the first cell (C33). The Vlookup formula returns the text in column B (from the same list, Data_txt) from the selection made in column A (or what is now in C33) Both cells have only text values. I need to assign the returned Vlookup value to C44 but I don’t want to put the Vlookup formula in it. Th...

hyperlinks in getting external data through web query
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C47E46.231F97A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 The WEB PAGE I am downloading using the WebQuery with <full Html = formatting> is something like the following=20 Symbol Name Last Trade Day's Range Volume More Info =20 ^BSESN SENSEX 3:58pm 5,233.21 5,154.32 - 5,240.29 N/A Chart, Components =20 ACC.BO A C C-A 4:00pm 261.40 255.30 - 262....

Excel pasting
I have an output file from Access where I have created an Excel shee which has blank columns in it. I want to paste the entire content into a template which has corresponding formula where the blank column are. I have tried Paste Special, Value, and ticking Skip Blank thinking that the blank columns would be ignored and the formula left. Unfortunately what seems to happen is the blank cell is written ove the formula and I lose the information. I operate in Excel 97 and an example of what I mean is as follows: Th / are indicative of a new column. Text Field / Text Field / Currency / Blank...

Sharing contacts over network without Exchange
Hello! I am looking for a way to share Outlook contacts among users on our network. Basically, I would like to create one big shared contact list stored in a shared network folder where everyone can add/modify contacts and where multiple people can access the list at the same time. I realize that Microsoft states that you require Exchange Server to do this, but we are not using Exchange. The solution posted in the Microsoft knowledge base involves copying to the shared .pst file to each computer every time the list is modified. As I'm sure you can imagine, this is an unacceptable solut...

to make a picture into a circle without distorting the picture
I am using Publisher 2000. When I make a picture into a circle in it, it distorts the subject of the picture. Is there someway to fix that, or is there some other program to use? How are you inserting the picture? Are you using Insert, Picture, New Drawing? Create a circle, fill, fill effects, picture tab, browse to the picture. Distortion can be controlled somewhat if the picture is about the same size as the circle. If you have a real draw program you will get better results. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

Launch External Process from Menu/Toolbar?
My organization is preparing to upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0. In 7.5, we added palette items that launched Excel and opened a specific workbook (via Setup>>Company>>Palettes). I've found no way to add a menu item in 8.0 that would launch an external process. What are the options for doing this in 8.0? Thanks for any assistance. Mark Set them up as shortcuts..and if you use User Classes, place the shortcuts under each User Class..you will probably need to logged on with 'sa' to do this. "FBMark" wrote: > My organization is preparing to upgrade from 7.5 ...

Can you switch profiles in Outlook 2003 without restarting?
Can you switch profiles in Uutlook 2003 without restarting the program? I have it setup so that when starting Outlook it prompts me as to which profile I want to use, but I would prefer to be able to choose to switch to another profile when in Outlook. Is this possible? TIA! Jo No. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb4f01c4391d$cf16f6c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can you switch profiles in Uutlook 2003 without > restarting the program? > > I have it setup so that when starting Outlook it prompts >...

Create mailbox without user account
Is it possible to create a mailbox and just assign rights to it (for other users to access) without creating a user? We want a public mailbox for outside users to send to and a couple of admins to be able to go into this mailbox and have full functionality (read, reply, etc.) Thanks in advance only if you use a mail enabled public folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.ne...