Unzipping without external DLLs?

Folks

I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
this answer if there is one.

I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
in Access quite well.

But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
searching with the right keywords either.

(I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)

Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
lot of useless hits.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

This works using VB6, XPSP3, add a reference to shell32.dll shell32.dll.

Sub Compress(dest As String, ZipFile As String)
     Dim myShell As Shell
     Dim FSO As Object
     Set myShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
     Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")
     FSO.CreateTextFile(ZipFile, True).WriteLine "PK" & Chr(5) & Chr(6)
& String(18, 0)
     myShell.NameSpace(ZipFile).CopyHere (dest)
     Set myShell = Nothing
     Set FSO = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
     'change to valid input and output filenames
     Compress "c:\temp\wursetup.exe", "c:\temp\wursetup.zip"
End Sub

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=284538
0
Mike
9/12/2010 5:48:13 AM
Top posted:

FSO is a bad idea in any situation.  You are assuming each end user not only
has it on their system, but has the appropriate rights to use it.  It's not
a VB6 only solution.

OP:  My first thought is to look at the info zip source code (assuming it's
still out there) and see if it's translatable to VB6.

Also - and hopefully Dee will be long for this - there was a link posted
recently that dealt with a VB6 zipping program.  I forget the title, but the
source was available.  It does use an external file, zip.exe, however.

If it's possible, and that's a big if, it's not going to be an easy task to
put together (unless you're just going to C&P someone elses code without
understanding how it works...and if so, don't tell me about it).  I would
probably look at the C code for InfoZIP and see if it's translatable to VB

Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
: > Folks
: >
:
[...]

Kevin
9/12/2010 6:02:37 AM
Tony Toews expressed precisely :
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Leo
9/12/2010 6:21:45 AM
I don't know if you can work this in your overall solution. But can you try
put the files you wna to zip/unzip into a XP compressed folder. Then the OS
will do all the work for you.
"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>  updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

0
phil
9/12/2010 12:51:48 PM
This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
components:

Archive Explorer (update 1)
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1

I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

0
Nobody
9/12/2010 2:23:25 PM
On Sep 11, 8:06=A0pm, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. =A0I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well. =A0
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code. =A0Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll? =A0I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
> =A0 updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/

The following will unzip in XP, Vista or Windows 7 with no external
dependency on your part:

'----------------------------------------------------------
'this will unzip to the same directory as the zip file
  Dim TempDir as String
  Dim Filename as String

  TempDir =3D "c:\myzipfolder\"   'or whatever path you wish to unzip to
  Filename=3D "zipfilename.zip"

    With CreateObject("Shell.Application")
        .NameSpace("" & TempDir).CopyHere .NameSpace("" &
FileName).Items
    End With

   MsgBox FileName & " unzipped!", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Zip
Test"
'------------------------------------------------------------

There is an equivalent to zip files using the Shell Namespace as well.

Tom

0
Shotgun
9/12/2010 4:32:57 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
with no dependencies.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:44:12 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:21:45 +1000, Leo <ttdhead@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
>He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
>index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Interesting..  Thanks.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:47:29 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:23:25 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
>components:
>
>Archive Explorer (update 1)
>http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1
>
>I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

Ahh, even nicer.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:51:31 PM
: On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:
:
: >Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and
work.
:
: I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
: with no dependencies.

There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
discuss it, let me know.

- Kev

0
Kevin
9/12/2010 11:04:15 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:04:15 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
>register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
>vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
>discuss it, let me know.

Yeah, I can IT admins and antivirus programs getting nervous when DLLs
suddenly appear.      I suspect I'd sooner distribute the Infozip DLLs
so they are visible and known.

But there are several other alternatives so I'll review those first.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/13/2010 12:43:05 AM
On 9/11/2010 11:21 PM, Leo wrote:
> Tony Toews expressed precisely :
>> Folks
>>
>> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
>> this answer if there is one.
>>
>> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. I'm
>> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
>> in Access quite well.
>> But this time I'd like VB6 code. Or is there an API call to use the
>> Windows zip dll? I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
>> searching with the right keywords either.
>>
>> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
>> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
>> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>>
>> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
>> lot of useless hits.
>>
>> Thanks, Tony
>
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
> He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
> index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Yes that's a much nicer solution. Edanmo did a lot of really impressive
work! I used his Scheduled Task code and it worked great.

0
Mike

Field Code : get bookmark (text) without table format
I want to get the value in a TABLE with bookmark (e.g. STYLE) using field code with the following 2 ways : { = STYLE \* MERGEFORMAT} I can get the value if it is numeric but get "0" is it is text. {STYLE} I can get the value either it is numeric or text in a table cell. However, I want to get a value only, without the cell. How can I get the value using Field Code?? Answered elsewhere. You must exclude the cell end marker from the bookmark so that it just contains the text. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourse...

Is there a way to do this without cursors?
/* All rows in #T1 for the same HId and with the same Priority should be combined into a single row in #T2. When creating a merged row, the Events column in #T2 should be a concatenation of all of the events of the distinct (HId, Priority) that were merged. */ _____________________________ DDL: _____________________________ CREATE TABLE #T1 ( HId int not null, Priority tinyint not null, [Event] varchar(30) Not Null, constraint [PKT1] primary key clustered ( HId ASC, Priority ASC, [Event] ASC ) ) GO insert into #T1 select 1,5,'C' union select 1,5,&...

Item Price Maintenance
GP version 8.00g7. If you play around in the Item Price Maintenance window they try to exit, a popup asks if you'd like to save changes. Only 2 choices: Yes & Cancel. Cancel brings you back to the Item Price Maintenance window again, where you are trying to exit without saving changes. Only choice is to say yes. WTF? G Have you tried the red x in the upper right corner of the window? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "GiJ...

"filtering" external messages that target my distribution lists ?
Is there any way to "filter" external messages that target distribution lists in my organization ? I've seen that Mail Essentials can check headers and block messages sent to a certain number of recipient, but I am wondering how I can prevent somebody from sending unsolicited e-mail to one of my distribution lists ? Exch2000. ...

Getting External Data errors when saving an excel spreadsheet
Hello all, I am having an issue with Office 2007. After one employee exports a table from Access 2003 to Excel 2007. They then e-mail it to it's destination using outlook 2007. From there they are having a hard time trying to open the spreadsheet and cut and paste some of the info to another excel spreadsheet on the desktop. It doesn't always happen, and the error says something about an external data error and excel has to recover. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Frank <FrankD@eappeals.com> wrote: > I am having an issue with Office 2007. This is not ...

Create Outlook Folders on external drive
How can I create an Outlook Folder (.pst) on another hard drive leter. I want to free up hard drive space without removing emails. I can see how to archive to an external drive, but I want an active, accessible folder on an external drive and have it show up in the Personal Folders list in Outlook. I want to be able to move email from the Inbox to folders on the external drive and be able to view them "realtime" from that folder or folders. At work the IT guys do it on a network drive. We can read or move email to and from folders on the network drive. I want to do that wi...

Import External Data
Hi all, I'm trying to use the "Import External Data" function in Excel 2003 to import data from one spreadsheet to another. It works for some fields (specifically ,date and text fields), but for others no data is imported (specifically, whole numbers, percentage fields and dollar fields). Is there some way to import the missing data? Thank you, Art. importing external data is usually used to import data form a REAL data store-- like an Access database or a SQL Server database. Basically; Microsoft is too flaky to make these simple things work correctly. because t...

Adding an externally generated playlist (Windows 7)
Maybe I'm missing something, but dragging a .wpl into the media player (or shellexec'ing it) just starts the playlist. You can create a new playlist, Ctrl+A, drag/drop, and there it is, but where is the "add the currently playing .m3u/.wpl" as a new playlist feature? Simply moving the playlist to your "My Music" folder (or My Music\Playlists), should be enough for WMP to add the playlist to its library. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk On 11/06/2010 1:24, ab` wrote: > Maybe I'm missing something, but dragging a ....

KB970158 installed without permission
I have Vista Ultimate and I have updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose". I did not authorize this and there is no record of this update on the MS website. What is it and how do I remove the changes before it completes with a reboot? KB This should answer most questions 'Has anyone seen this microsoft update? - Yahoo! Answers' (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090915202310AAFWPsZ) -- richc46 RICHARD *If I have helped you in any way, please show your appreciation, by clicking the middle icon, on the upper right por...

LNK2001: unresolved external CreateControl
This should be a case of just finding the right lib to link to. I get the following error: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CWnd::classCWnd" (?classCWnd@CWnd@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B) What lib should I link to to resolve this error? For future referance, I have look for documentation that tells me what lib for what function but couldn't find anything. Is there a way of find out that information in case I run in to this problem again? Thanks This is from MFC I think. --=20 Maxim S. Shatskih Windows...

Storing Outlook files on external hard drive
Is it possible to set up Outlook so instead of its files (not program but directory, contacts, messages, et al) are stored on our external hard drive? Last year our old computer died and we lost a lot of information on its hard drive. OR, can I regularly transfer the information to the hard drive? I do not beleive you can store what you want out of the program directory. However, you can make backups of the data you need whenever you would like. This is import/export feature in office. Located on the FILE menu. The one thing I do not like about outlook is the fact that there a...

Updating links to external files using macros
Hi all I have a file which contains links to data in an external file. Every week I need to update the link to a new file that is created. So for example, at the moment the link goes to a file called "Sales Firm 2010 2009-11-12", next week there will be a new file called "Sales Firm 2010 2009-11-19" which I will want to change this link to. The following week yet another external file will be created which I will want to change the links to again. All the external files are the same i.e. format, where the data is located, etc it's just new data. At t...

Moving application without installing CD
Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing media went lost. We don't even have any contact with the software houses or programmers who developed them. We would like to move some of them to new computers but it can be a nightmare. Searching on the net I learnt there are commercial software which claim to do that dirty work, but I found no clue on how to do it manually. In the past I tried to solve a similar scenario using sysinternals tools (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an application needed but I ended up with total failure. Any su...

Reading .pst files without Outlook 2007
Is there anyone who know a program / software that reads .pst files without actually rely on Outlook 2007? I used Recovery Toolbox for Outlook, and it did extract the emails that were in the pst file and it has its interface, that's good. However, is missing one crucial part, the date of when the email was sent. it does not not state the dates when those emails were sent and that is very important for me as I have thousands of emails that I track through the date(s). Does anyone knows a similar program that does what was mentioned above, but also displays the dates of when the ema...

storing e-mail on computer and then accessing the e-mails without going through outlook
Hi there, Our e-mail comes in on a pop3 server. My Boss wants to set it up so that we put a copy of all of his client e-mail folders on our backup drive so that I can access them if I need the information. I looked through outlook help (we have 2003) and saw some information on personal folders, but you need to view the messages in a .pst format through outlook, which is what we want to avoid. We want to be able to just see the e-mail in question and double click on it to view. In addition, he would like it so that everytime an e-mail is added to a folder it will automatically update on the ...

Troubleshooting external -> My company e-mail
A VIP user claims that he is sending e-mails from his home address mymail@myfamilydomain.com to his company mailbox. He claims that all e-mails sent from that domain does not get delivered. As far as I know the Exchange AV is not configured to block 'myfamilydomain.com'. I look the logs of the Exchange AV and see no reports there of quarantine messages related to @familydomain.com. What else could I do troubleshoot this type of scenario ? "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote: >A VIP user claims that he is sending e-mails from his home address >mym...

sort data without changing pattern
I have a worksheet where every other row has a 'pattern' in it to help make it easier to read across the spreadsheet. The problem I'm running into is as I add new rows at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then resort them into their correct place, the patterns go with the sort and now the patterns have to be redone again the get them back to every other row. Any suggestions? This will happen if your patterns are manually applied. It would be better to remove that manual shading and to apply background colours using conditional formatting, the condition being if th...

How can I set up a notification for when I recieve mail without h.
"Tasha" <Tasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC3FD436-4276-448E-A968-E7B3DE3BFB99@microsoft.com... > Nothing Please write your question in the BODY of the post. if you just use the subject line, it truncates - like yours has. Presumably your question is whether email notification can occur when Outlook is not running. No it can't. there are third-party applications that will do this for you however. Dear, Ofcourse as my friend said - please post correctly. May be u need a notification when a mail arrives in your inbox (like a sound notificatio...

Administrator email account sending external msgs???
My Server Usage Report indicates that the Administrator account has sent 1820 External emails (only 16 internal ones). I'm perplexed since I have NOT used this account to send any external emails. I verified I don't have an open relay, so how is this possible? Paul wrote: > My Server Usage Report indicates that the Administrator > account has sent 1820 External emails (only 16 internal > ones). I'm perplexed since I have NOT used this account to > send any external emails. I verified I don't have an open > relay, so how is this possible? Probably bou...

Excel hard code those #'s without deleting the formula or typing#
Hi, I received this question from a Excel user: 'I have a worksheet that has cells with data looking at other worksheets. I want to basically hard code those #'s without actually deleting the formula and typing the number in. How do I do that?' Thanks for any information that you may have! Copy>Edit>PasteSpecial>Values. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "JudiS" <JudiS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3CFB939-3EC5-460D-923E-E161F521E150@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I received this question fro...

External users in same domain
I have a unique situation. I have a domain (use xyz.com for example). I have Exchange server setup but not utilizing it in the usual way. Using SMTP to send mail but a POP connector to retrieve mail from mailboxes at the domain host (external ISP hosting xyz.com) I have to do this because I have users in different geographical locations and they receive their mail thru Outlook by connecting to the external POP accounts at the ISP hosting xyz.com. These external users do not usually connect to my Exchange Server, but they are in the same domain xyz.com. From within my Exchange organ...

Accesssing Access data-base without Access -- How?
I have been sent an Access data-base (.mdb filetype). I do not have any MicroSoft Office programs installed on my computer. Is there anyway to look at, and extract data from this file? I do have Paradox installed, but it seems to require some sort of modules from Access (DAOs - "Data Access Objects"). Is there a source for these. I know that Paradox provides a free database engine to allow non-users to use ..db files. Does Access have such a thing? Cyril Cyril In many instances, an Access database is actually an Access-based application. Are you interested in the data...

Import External Data #3
In Excel 2003 (XP) I have set up a few stocks that I update thru Data, Import External Data, Edit Query, Import. Is there any way to add a couple of indecies like the Dow Average to this edit? The easiest way for me has been to setup multiple Web Queries, but have them coming into a garbage sheet somewhere, so I can just pull it all down. Then I use cell references to organize the data over onto a Display Sheet that has thing the way I want to see them. You could get your additional stuff tucked in easily the way you want, and formatted to your tastes. -- "Actually, I *am* a ro...

formulas down without manual copy
I�m trying to have my formulas flow down the page for each column. Without manually copying them down the page I thought I could use the �list� feature. Thus hopefully only having the list move down the page as data is added. Sounds ok? But when I actually insert a list over the data and formulas- it looks great Except that when you goto add a new line of data the formulas aren�t there? Going into list wizard and changing the settings for each column seems very longwinded and seemingly not possible to even add the formulas correctly for each column. Ah.. I would have thought that b...

transactions without saved payee missing from report
I am a treasurer for a charity and have been using money to track the accounts (because I foolishly believed that it was better than paper) I have a customised money cashflow report that I need to show all transactions, so I do the following: 1. select all categories (click on select all button) - this is on the category tab 2. select all payees (click on select all button) on the payee tab But I have just discovered that for a transaction where I chose not to add the payee to my list of payees that it is missing from the report. In otherwords I can only report on transactions for which I c...