PSet Problem

Some time ago (a couple of years ago I think?) I reported a problem with the
GDI SetPixel function (and also with the VB Pset function which uses it)
when Vista is not running in Aero. When Pset (or SetPixel) is used whilst
Vista is not running in Aero then it fails to draw the pixel if bit 8 is set
in the value you pass it for the X coordinate (the Y coordinate is okay in
this respect). I've just tried it again and the problem is still not fixed
(at least on the copies of Vista on my own two machines, both of which are
up to date and one of which is an early version and one of which is more
recent). Does anybody know if it has been fixed in the latest versions of
Vista, and whether or not it is also a problem in Win7 (although I suspect
it will be okay in Win7). You can check it out by making sure your copy of
Vista is not currently running Aero (which is often the case anyway for many
people when running the VB6 IDE) and then run the following code, either
from the IDE or as a compiled exe. If the problem exists on your machine you
will see very wide "blank" bands in the output. I know there are ways to
circumvent the problem, but that of course is not really the asnwer to it.
I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Mike

Private Sub Form_Load()
Me.WindowState = vbMaximized
Me.ScaleMode = vbPixels
Randomize Timer
End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim x As Long, y As Long, n As Long
For n = 1 To 100000
  x = Rnd * Me.ScaleWidth
  y = Rnd * Me.ScaleHeight
  Me.PSet (x, y), vbRed
Next n
Caption = "done"
End Sub

0
Mike

Vista Ultimate
6.0.6001 Serice Pack 1 Build 6001

Aero off - always.  A waste of resources.

Only measles.  No black lines.

A video driver problem specific to your video cards?
Update drivers?

"Bee" <Bee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Vista Ultimate
> 6.0.6001 Serice Pack 1 Build 6001
> Aero off - always.  A waste of resources.
> Only measles.  No black lines.
> A video driver problem specific to your video cards?
> Update drivers?

I don't think it's a video problem because when I first had the problem I
had a different laptop and a different desktop machine. I've got exactly the
same problem on my two new machines, and I always keep my video card drivers
up to date. The laptop has the same copy of Vista that I had on one of my
old machines, but my new desktop has a copy of Vista that came with the
machine. So that's four different machines and three different copies of
Vista. Curioser and curioser. I've got a couple of spare video cards
gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere, so I'll dig them out tomorrow and
give them a try. Perhaps it's just me though? Perhaps my old eyes are not
what they used to be, and the blank bands are on them?  ;-)

Anyone else care to give it a try?

Mike

0
Mike
2/22/2010 5:13:20 PM
"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[wrong SetPixel-behaviour on Vista with deactivated
 "Desktop-Composition"]

> Anyone else care to give it a try?

Just tried (Vista SP1, ATI-Graphics) - and the bug
is still there (larger "Stripes", as you said).
But only with deactivated compositing, which I've
set over the appropriate Context-Menu on the small
Exe-compile.

Maybe this is fixed in Vista SP2 (no, I don't mean
Win7 <g>)... but no time to upgrade this machine now
and try it myself...

HTH

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/22/2010 5:35:05 PM
yikes.  old eyes are the problem.

I read "black" from your post and you read "blank" from my reply.

I see no black lines but i do see blank bands.

Time for an eye exam.  Or better yet a brain exam.
Peer into this black hole please.  <Sucking sound ...>
Mesmerized by the red dots, maybe.

"Schmidt" <sss@online.de> wrote in message

> Just tried (Vista SP1, ATI-Graphics) - and the bug
> is still there (larger "Stripes", as you said).
> But only with deactivated compositing

Thanks Olaf. That's what I'm getting here, and apparently it is also what
Bee is getting now that he's re-read my post and realised I was talking
about wide blank bands (whereas he was initially looking for black lines).

> Maybe this is fixed in Vista SP2
> (no, I don't mean Win7 <g>)...

LOL!

Mike

0
Mike
2/22/2010 6:46:49 PM
> "Schmidt" <sss@online.de> wrote in message
>
>> Just tried (Vista SP1, ATI-Graphics) - and the bug
>> is still there (larger "Stripes", as you said).
>> But only with deactivated compositing
>
> Thanks Olaf. That's what I'm getting here, and apparently it is also what Bee
> is getting now that he's re-read my post and realised I was talking about wide
> blank bands (whereas he was initially looking for black lines).
>
>> Maybe this is fixed in Vista SP2
>> (no, I don't mean Win7 <g>)...
>
> LOL!
>
> Mike

Just tried it with Vista Home Premium SP 2 (German), the bands are there.
On my Windows 7 Ult. 32-bit (German) no Bands, but I'm not certain if I
could deactivate *all* of Aero (I selected max. performance, but it said
something like 'this will deactivate most Aero features').

Helmut.

0
Helmut

MasterCard Problems today
Those that are having problem getting MasterCards approved, there is a nationwide problem. Vital is blaming MasterCard and MasterCard is blaming Vital. Merchants are seeing CV:Failure:CV error codes when trying to approve them. Anyway, Vital has a temporary fix, but it may take 24 hours for it to take effect. Contact them at (866) 634-2099 - must have V# for help Or maybe just wait till tomorrow for it to fix itself. -- * ...

Embedded Excel problem
I tried to adapt some code posted in earlier threads to export a set of embedded Excel worksheets and save them as separate Excel files. It runs fine when I step through by pressing F8 or even when I set an F9 breakpoint on the "SaveAs" line, but throws a run error 1004 (the SaveAs method of the '_Workbook' object failed) on the first For loop (at the SaveAs line) when i try to run it normally using F5. Can anyone see what's going wrong? Thanks Sub ExportEmbeddedSheetsAsExcel() Dim iCtr As Integer Dim xlWB As Excel.Workbook Dim oDoc As ...

Problem Reading Emails -
Sorry for the doubel post. Guys can anyone provide a suggested solution to this problem. I have a few clients who cannot open encrypted emails. When I try to open the message, I get the a dialog box with the following "Cannot open this item. Your digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system" Any ideas? ...

axis problems in excel
I have a column titled "age" in my excel spreadsheet. There are 29 values entered in total, and several of them are the same. EG four people age 35. The total range is from 18 to 39. I want a simple column chart with age on the x axis (from 18 to 39) and number of people on the y axis (0 to 5). But i cannot work out how to do it. Sorry if this is an easy one. Excel only seems to allow me to have age on the y axis, with the 29 values represented by columns. any help would be appreciated denise Denise You need to group the age data by frequency. In say column A wite ag...

Problem accessing ContactItems with VSTO 2005
I'm using VSTO 2005 (C#) to try to access a public contacts folder in Outlook which contains about 1200 contacts. Using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.MAPIFolder, I'm looping through all of the Items in the contacts folder and reading them as Objects, e.g. foreach(Object obj in folder.Items). I then check which of these Objects are a Outlook.ContactItem and proceed to get the needed information from each. The problem is that only about 250 of the contacts in this public folder are being recognized as ContactItems. I can't seem to find a way to check the type of the Objects - ...

Weird problem with exchange 2000 server
I am running a windows 2000 server with exchange 2000. The server is partitioned as follows; C:\ 5.13GB, D:\ Exchange 49.2, E:\ 49.7, 32.2GB unallocated. I had the AV originally on C:\ but moved it to E:\ last week. There is also a plug-in for exchange installed as part of the AV suite. Users can send ok, the problem is in receiving email. I looked at ESM and in POP3 current connections it shows a list of users trying to receive email If I reboot the server, everything is fine for a while and then the problem recurs. There doesnt seem to be a problem with any of the Exchange services, at ...

offline address book problem
I am having problem with a outlook clients getting unable to download offline address book. Is there security on the offline address book that I am not aware of??? can anyone suggest a fix for this? Thanks, Steve If you go into the Exchange Administrator and try to generate the OAB there, what happens? Exchange Admin -> Configuration -> DS Site Configuration properties -> Offline Address Book -> Generate all Does that fail as well? If so, what events are logged in the application log? Were there any server recently removed from the Exchange organization? -- Michael Bart...

POP 3 setup problem
For some of our employees traveling 50/50 we have decided to have them gain access from our exchange server using POP 3 due to the recent shut down of port 135. There is one client during setup when attempting the test settings comand who gets a log on error related to invalid user name or password when checking for incoming mail. Both user and me have tried typing in his username and password and they dont work. When I use my own info they work fine. What am i doing wrong? ...

PROBLEM:How to squeeze 2 Page sized Chart in Excel 2000 & embed in Word 2000 and print from Word to fit one page ???
Hello , I am a university student and I have drawn a graph of some curves and it is about 2 pages wide . The university wants me to embed it in Word and send the Word document to them electronically . My problem is how can I embed it so that when the university prints out my project it fits to one page only so that it can be read easily? Can anyone help ? Thanks . Peter On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:13:50 +1000, someone@somewhere.com wrote: >Hello , > >I am a university student and I have drawn a graph of some curves and >it is about 2 pages wide . The university wants me to e...

Choosing Class Problem CDatabase OR CDaoDatabase
Hi All, I would like to know if I want to connect to MS SQL server, which class is most suitable ? CDatabase or CDaoDatabase? what is the difference between these two classes? Please advice. Thank you very much. Alan Alan The CDatabase/CRecordset class is for use with any database that has an ODBC provider. There are ODBC drivers for most mainstream database providers, especially SQL Server, Oracle, MS Jet, MySql, FoxPro, etc. The CDaoDatabase/CDaoRecordset is a wrapper for the DAO interfaces, and works ONLY with the Microsoft Jet Database Engine (i.e. MS Access). regards roy fine ...

CMapStringToOb serialization problem
Hi anybody. Could you help with one strage problem. For my aims I use CMapStringToOb class. The problem is following. When I serialize my data(write to disk) some number of memory is used. When I serialize my data from disk( reading data) the memory using is more then I write(approximately in 2.5 more). Why? I have completed a lot of test and receive same results. I create simple test class : class CTestClass : public CObject { DECLARE_SERIAL( CTestClass ) public: int m_k; CTestClass() {m_k = 13;} void Serialize(CArchive& ar){} }; and class which store these data: class CLayerMap_M...

Problem creating more than one PO at a time in RMS....
We had three different users log onto SO mgr and they each started creating their new POs for different vendors, where they would create new items on the fly....some of the items created in register 1 would pop up in the "add items" window of register 2's PO, and sometimes the reg 1 items would be added to the "selected" items of register 2's PO...this strange behavior also happened in register 3.....when you would cick OK to go back to the contents tab, you would get a message indicating that item XXX is not assigned to the supplier you assigned to this PO, ...

Problem with login and passwrd when linking to Access DB
I am linking to an Access 2000 database from Excel 2002 (using the External Data functionality). When I update my Access table, I should be able ot click the Refresh icon in Excel and have it update. This used to work fine. Then I did not use it for a few months. I just updated my Access table and in Excel click the Refresh icon, and get a message that the database is not in the correct folder (which it is). If I click OK I can locate the database again (ie go to the same locaion on my hard drive, all fiels are local) and then I get a login dialog, requiring a login and password. The...

Backup problem in outlook 2003
I am trying a couple backup solutions for outlook 2003. They are BackRex and ABF outlook backup. When I run either program they tell me that outlook is running and needs to be closed. I do a reboot and then run the programs and still get the same warning. As a side note when I run the "files and setting transfer wizard" I get an error when it tries to copy the outlook ..pst file, says it can't access it or it is in use by another application. Some program is keeping Outlook open then. Applications that tend to do this are WinFax, virusscanners, anti-spam and synchronisati...

Problem after Power Loss
We had a transformer fire and lost power last night. Now SOME (not all) desktops on the systems are getting this error: Cannot start MS Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window. The set of folders could not be opened. Any ideas? -- JOHN C. HARRIS; MPA JCZ CONSULTING OF TAMPA BAY Anything relevant in App Event log? Can you access those mailboxes using OWA? JC HARRIS wrote: > We had a transformer fire and lost power last night. Now SOME (not all) > desktops on > the systems are getting this error: > > Cannot start MS Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window. The se...

Money has encountered a problem and needs to close
After undescribable frustrations, I finally found the root cause of this problem and I am posting the solution. Symptom: Microsoft Money 2002 won't launch, displaying a dialog box with the following message: "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close". Looking at the error report content, the following is shown: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.731 ModName: msofd.dll ModVer: 10.0.0.921 Offset: 0003891a Root cause: In the "Bills and Deposits", a scheduled transfer from an account in one currency (Canadian dollars in my case) to an account in a...

Money 2007 Budget Problem
I just converted from M06 to M07. When I look at my Budget reports, it lists a bunch of transactions (all from the same account) that are under the heading "expenses not in budget" in the Monthly Budget report. This was not the case before the transfer....how do I correct this? ...

local and external address problem
Hello I've got one problem with exchange 2000 At configuration Outlook 2000 with use Exchange Serwer and outisde mail account. During sending a massages in this outside account(it's a default mail box), massage was marked as exchange local name (for example user@exchange.local) In result the receiver see local address and don't know what is sender external account (address) When I try force sending massage with external address (in field from) exchange write the error " you have no permission to send massage uses this account". How can we resolve this? Thanks for he...

Page Setup problem #3
Gord, you are on the money. I was trying to set the �Rows to repeat at top� from "Print Preview". Also thank you so much timely response -- GC ----------------------------------------------------------------------- GCF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=412 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27589 ...

Sidebar problem
I've inserted a sidebar on top of a text box and the text wraps around it but there is a bit of text that goes over the top. Can I stop this from happening? The side bar is at the front. Thanks Anita Anita wrote: > I've inserted a sidebar on top of a text box and the text wraps > around it but there is a bit of text that goes over the top. Can I > stop this from happening? The side bar is at the front. > > Thanks > Anita *SIGH* Are we supposed to *guess* what version you're running? -- In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/ Yes, it&...

Opener Problem in ISV Page
Hi all, actually I try to create a ISV Page. Normally this is a very easy way, when I use this ISV pgae with the laptop client I've a little problem. The ISV Page is integrated with a Navbar button. So after I use the NavBar button, a new windows will be open. On this Page I fill some Text in a Textbox and Push a Button to Save. 'Saving' will do following: Update the Objekt und Refresh the Opener with: opener.navigate(opener.location); On Web Client and Desktop Client this works fine, but on Laptop client I getting the error: Access denied. So is there any way, givven the use...

User Form Problem #2
I have done some reading on using User Forms within VBA. I am taking data from the form and putting it to an Excel worksheeet. Here is the code I have so far... This all works... Private Sub cmdSaveData_Click() Dim LastRow As Object Sheets("DailyData").Select Set LastRow = Sheet1.Range("a65536").End(xlUp) LastRow.Offset(1, 0).Value = txtDate.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 1).Value = txtRawPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 2).Value = txtRawSolids.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 3).Value = txtFrenchFryPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 4).Value = txtBatterPounds.Text LastRow.Offset(1, 5).Value ...

Crystal reports report wizard problem
We are creating a new report in Crystal Reports using the Report Wizard. We are attempting to create a query that pulls records with particular values from a picklist field. For some odd reason, not all of the possible values are showing up as options in the select portion of the wizard. There are records with the corresponding values in the database. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? Thanks! Krista Krista I believe this is a crystal bug as I logged this as a support issue nearly a year ago. Its a weird one but basically the fix is to just enter the values directl...

Outlook 2003 problem sending emails
I have multiple pst files. When sending emails, I have TWO contacts lists, the default is a previous pst file, rather than the active pst file. How do I get it to stop using my older contacts pst? actions / new mail message / to / Contacts / then need to scroll down to get to the real contacts. I went into tools / options / mail setup and deleted the mail account and created a new mail account, but that did not solve the problem. I still have two contacts lists, with the older one being the default. Outlook 2003 Windows XP Remove the invalid reference here: Tools > E-mail account...

Pivot Table problem
Hi My organisation has recently changed financial year from Jan to Dec to April to March. All of our Pivot tables ran from tables held in sql and were simply made up from two fields that were Year & Period (2001, 01), where 01 was Jan is now April. We have converted all of the historical records so that 01 now = April. However, we still have some users that require their Pivot tables to see Jan to Dec by Year. Is there anyway I can set the Pivot table to report the columns headings so that they start 2000 10 to 2001 009 and so that the grand totals are calculated for these periods? D...