Problem with Windows memory

Hello everyone.

My application uses VB6 to create and run a MialMerge with Word. It works OK
but I noticed that when the merged documents were completed and saved on the
hard disk, I then checked Windows task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and saw
that there was still an instance of Winword.exe running even though I had set
all variables relating to Word.Application, Word.Documents etc.. to 'Nothing.
Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Christopher

"Tim Christopher" <TimChristopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B77C4BE1-3C3D-4FBB-AC4E-16455F71EEE5@microsoft.com...
> Hello everyone.
>
> My application uses VB6 to create and run a MialMerge with Word. It works
> OK
> but I noticed that when the merged documents were completed and saved on
> the
> hard disk, I then checked Windows task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and saw
> that there was still an instance of Winword.exe running even though I had
> set
> all variables relating to Word.Application, Word.Documents etc.. to
> 'Nothing.
> Is there any way to fix this?

That just releases the references your VB6 app has to Word objects.  It
doesn't close documents or quit the application.  Use the Application
object's Quit method to do quit the instance of Word (if you created an
instance).  For Document objects, be sure you close the document using the
Document object's Close method.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
12/16/2009 1:44:52 AM
Thanks heaps Mike. I had forgotten all about Quit.

Tim  Christopher

message news:99F46B50-80D1-45CB-834A-3B898FDF1B65@microsoft.com...
> Thanks heaps Mike. I had forgotten all about Quit.

Easy to forget. I've done it myself and spent hours trying to figure out why
Word or Excel is still running. The embarrassing part is that after the
first time, you’d think I'd have learned, but nope.  There's been a couple
times where I've spent at least 2-3 hours trying to figure out why
Word/Excel is still running. And then I call myself an idiot and say it's
time to quit for the day.

--
Mike

0
MikeD

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Problem with CFTPConnection

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Access 97 can't resize database window

Memory Allocation
MSVC 6, XP I'm writing a piece of code that needs to compress and uncompress .zip files, that, in normal state, could be up to 100MB in size. What is the preferred method of allocating large amounts of memory in the aforementioned situation? Right now, I'm using something like: DWORD dwUncompressedSize = random size up to 100MB; unsigned char* lpData = new char [dwUncompressedSize]; uncompress data... do stuff with data... delete [] lpData; Is this an acceptable way of performing the task or should I be using another method? Jack Memory mapped files can be used to work on ext...

Memory Leak #10
I added to the main MFC dll class sterilization support. In the InitInstance I added the following (and a corresponding code in the ExitInstance). It seems to work fine but I get memory leak on the program shutdown. Can someone advise please? Gilai .... CFile theFile; theFile.Open("Dllpcap.dat", CFile::modeRead); CArchive archive(&theFile, CArchive::load, 4096); Serialize(archive); archive.Close(); theFile.Close(); Do you know what/where the memory leak is happening. There are some things in MFC that just get allocated once and perhaps they just never clea...

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

Office installation and Windows 7

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

High Memory Usage after IS Maintenance Runs
I have an Exchange 5.5 server whose priv.edb file is about 2GBs. During normal usage the store.exe file is use about 70MBs of RAM. When the IS Maintenance runs at night the RAM usage shoots to 800MBS and does not come down after IS Maintenance is done. I have to restart the Information Store service to restore proper system operation. How do I fix this issue? Why do you think that proper operation is less than 800MB of RAM? By default, Exchange should take all of the system memory available and not 70MB (note that it should give it back when asked). That's normal behavior vs. w...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

How can I export the outline window from Visio?
Having typed in a lot of information, I would like to see it in a "normal" outline view in Word. Is there a way to export the text to Word or just generically? I am using Visio 2007. TIA On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 02:26:02 -0800, tewald <tewald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Having typed in a lot of information, I would like to see it in a "normal" >outline view in Word. Is there a way to export the text to Word or just >generically? I am using Visio 2007. If you want to extract all the text from a diagram then you can use our: http://www.visio-utilitie...

Printing problem in booklet format

problem opening up program/file

Money deluxe 2007 password problem
When I update my bank account transactions I get a message saying that my account was not updated because my password is incorrect. I then go into account info and have to update my password. I save the update, but then it happens again sporadically when I open Money at later times. Is there a way to fix this glitch? ...

Error: msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows
Dear all, I get error mesage "msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" when preview report. I'm using Access 2000 and Windows 2000. Thanks. Regards, Vensia ...