One liner challenge

Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)

What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by=
 a space without
assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

Normally you could do...
dim strArray() as string
MyStr =3D "1 2 3"
strArray =3D Split(MyStr)
Debug.Print strArray(0)=20

Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally =
doesn't work

Why am I doing this?
MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the =
first item in the
string.

While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements =
in a row are
actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff =
in the IIF may
require a second look).=20

Thanks!
-mhd
0
mhd

-mhd wrote:
> Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)
>
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item
> delimited by a space without
> assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

MyStr = "1 2 3"
Debug.Print Split(MyStr)(0)

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

> Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)
>
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by a space without
> assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?
>
> Normally you could do...
> dim strArray() as string
> MyStr = "1 2 3"
> strArray = Split(MyStr)
> Debug.Print strArray(0)
>
> Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally doesn't work
>
> Why am I doing this?
> MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the first item in the
> string.
>
> While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a row are
> actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in the IIF may
> require a second look).
>
> Thanks!
> -mhd

MsgBox Split(mystrStr, " ")(0)

0
David
9/10/2010 5:21:38 PM
-mhd wrote:
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item
> delimited by a space without assigning to a string array variable as
> a separate step?
> MyStr = "1 2 3"

Debug.Print Mid$(MyStr,1,InStr$(MyStr," ")-1)

Not terribly elegant, but one line.

> While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a row are
> actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in the IIF may
> require a second look).

IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any
other construct.

dpb
9/10/2010 5:22:00 PM
Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, or
clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet Microsoft
can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)

What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by a
space without
assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

Normally you could do...
dim strArray() as string
MyStr = "1 2 3"
strArray = Split(MyStr)
Debug.Print strArray(0)

Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally
doesn't work

Why am I doing this?
MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the
first item in the
string.

While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a
row are
actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in
the IIF may
require a second look).

Thanks!
-mhd

> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
> VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any other
> construct.

Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference does it
make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to write clear,
understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry about slow code
only when you have to.

"Jim Mack" <no-uce-ube@mdxi.com> wrote:

>MyStr =3D "1 2 3"
>Debug.Print Split(MyStr)(0)

Thanks!=20

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:18:49 PM
David Kerber <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote:

>MsgBox Split(mystrStr, " ")(0)

Thanks!=20

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:19:07 PM
dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>Debug.Print Mid$(MyStr,1,InStr$(MyStr," ")-1)
>
>Not terribly elegant, but one line.

Thanks that works for me too!

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:22:10 PM
"J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, =
or=20
>clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet =
Microsoft=20
>can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

=46or my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of =
IIF statements with
an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement =
between them.

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:28:01 PM
The one bad thing about IIF is that the "true part" and "false part" are
evaluated first before decision. Sometimes, one of the part would raise an
error.

"J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, or
>clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet Microsoft
>can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF
statements with
an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement between
them.

-mhd

0
Phil
9/10/2010 6:41:41 PM
I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code readability
and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you look at
that!--code.

"Phil Hunt" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>The one bad thing about IIF is that the "true part" and "false part" are=
=20
>evaluated first before decision. Sometimes, one of the part would raise =
an=20
>error.

True but in this case it is safe.

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:51:26 PM
"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
[...]

SomeString = Left$(MyStr, InStr(1, MyStr, " ") - 1)

/Henning

0
Henning
9/10/2010 7:53:03 PM
J.C. wrote:
>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>> any other construct.
>
> Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference
> does it make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to write
> clear, understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry
> about slow code only when you have to.

OP says it's called often, first.

Second, why not code for efficiency when it is trivial to do so?

Third, it's also generally difficult to read (ie, clarity isn't enhanced
vis a vis the alternatives).

imo, $0.02, etc., etc, etc., ...

dpb
9/10/2010 8:00:25 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:48:47 -0500, "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code readability
>and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you look at
>that!--code.

A while back I recall instructors stating that if you wrote the code
in a test in WatFiv or other program you would get partial marks if
only a few minor details wrong.

But if you wrote your solution in APL and it didn't work you didn't
get any marks for the answer.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
dpb wrote:

<snip>

> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
> VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any
> other construct.
>
> --
Then why didn't you include the qualifier?

If IIF() is used occasionally, then who cares if it takes a poofteenth of a
microsecond longer (than what, btw)?

Even in a loop that iterates for only tens or even a few hundred times, it
probably makes no difference - would YOU (as a user) notice if a program took
milliseconds longer to run in 4 Gigabytes of RAM running at 3.3Ghz?

If an IFF() is used in a loop for thousands(millions?) of operations, and
compared to the same program using an IF..ENDIF,  _THEN_ I'd agree with you.

That's the qualifier -

IFF() is an overhead intensive function, _so in extremely loop intensive
situations it WILL increase program time compared to an IF.. ENDIF construct_

I don't really know how much overhead it uses, probably less than a Kb - but
even if it uses 100Kb, that's a red herring when there's 2, 4 or more
***GIGABYTES*** of memory to use.

That's the rub, mate. It's not the usage, it's the comparison to other
constructs that shows the difference.

I can only see the paranoia about time and overhead if a programmer is still
trying to reduce a program to fit into a SC/MP kit from the 60's. (Yep, I'm old
enough to know what it is, and if you, the reader, know what it is, it tells you
why I'm responding to this post).

I've seen responses to older posts arguing over how much time is taken by a
given statement or construct, but can only show the difference in time with
MILLIONS of loop cycles to prove their point

With modern PC's running with multi-core gigahertz processors having gigabytes
of memory at their disposal (but not ever using all of that), WHAT'S THE POINT
IN ARGUING OVER WHETHER A ONE LINE STATEMENT RUNS SLOWER THAN A FIVE LINE
STATEMENT, AND BY HOW MUCH.

Just accept it.
0
argusy
9/11/2010 12:07:25 AM

J.C. wrote:
> I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code
> readability and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you
> look at that!--code.
>
> "-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
> "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:
>
>> Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant,
>> cute, or
>> clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet
>> Microsoft
>> can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?
>
> For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF
> statements with
> an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement
> between them.
>
> -mhd
0
argusy
9/11/2010 12:07:41 AM
argusy wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>> any other construct.
>>
>> --
> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?

Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...

dpb
9/11/2010 12:30:03 AM
dpb wrote:
> argusy wrote:
>> dpb wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>>> any other construct.
>>>
>>> --
>> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?
>
> Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...
>
> --
Oh, thank you. Your reply says it all. No need to say any more
Graham
0
argusy
9/11/2010 2:44:11 AM
argusy wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> argusy wrote:
>>> dpb wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?
>>
>> Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...
>>
>> --
> Oh, thank you. Your reply says it all. No need to say any more
> Graham

Previously answered.

IIF() sucks big time both performance-wise and legibility vis a vis
alternatives.

dpb
9/11/2010 3:18:32 AM
-mhd wrote:

> For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF statements with
> an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement between them.

This problem was solved over 60 years ago...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subroutine
0
Jason
9/11/2010 4:10:57 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:22:00 -0500, dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>IIF() is

I find that sooner or later it's going to come back and cause you
problems because both sides are evaluated.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 4:16:45 AM
dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>J.C. wrote:
>>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions=
=20
>>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost=20
>>> any other construct.
>>=20
>> Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference=20
>> does it make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to =
write=20
>> clear, understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry=20
>> about slow code only when you have to.
>
>OP says it's called often, first.

No I didn't.

-mhd
0
mhd

Easy One
You people have been so much help to me and others on this board. I reall appreciate all of the good information that is given here Someone listed how to put check marks in cells by using the righ click method on the mouse - works great! But the code is for a range of columns I want to select just 2 columns (column 2 and 14) to put the check mark in Any ideas Thanks again - you people are great! Hi if you may post your existing code it should be quite straight-forward to restrict it on only some columns :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Warman wrote: > You people have been...

Main Switchboard displayed not same as one in Switchboard Manager
I just upgraded my Access database to Access 2007. When I go to the Switchboard manager it is not the same as the Main swtichboard that is displayed in my Forms. Do I need to delete the switchboard and recreate it again? Why is it picking up another switchboard? Thanks. ...

Moving .pst from one drive to another in Outlook 2003
Is it possible for me to move my .pst file from my C: drive to my E: drive (Outlook 2003 only) ? I've found knowledgebase articles that apply to Outlook 2002 and 2007, but those processes don't work. I get hung up when I try to delete the old one and it tells me to go to Tools/Options e-mail account to change the default location of delivered mail. I can't find any place to do that. If you have the process for Outlook 2003 (or a KB article), I'd appreciate it. TIA ... GPC "Gregg Cattanach" <rl3166pls@excite.com> wrote in message news:%23usD2pp%23...

Excel shows only one sheet in taskbar
Hi When I open an excel worksheet it displays in the taskbar but when I open subsequent sheets they are not displayed in the taskbar.It looks as if only one document is open. This is very annoying as I am unable to close a certain worksheet from the taskbar. Thanks On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:55:47 +0200, "Leon" <leon.la@virgin.net> - in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote: >Hi >When I open an excel worksheet it displays in the taskbar but when I open >subsequent sheets they are not displayed in the taskbar.It looks as if only >one document is open. This is very ...

emails in One Inbox
Dear Anyone, Greetings to all, and I am new to this. I am tired of searching for my emails in various accounts. Is there a way of merging all the folder, i.e. all Inboxes, All Sent messages, All Drafts etc...? Is there a rule I cna create that will do this? I am using a Gmail IMAP account and a .ME IMAP account. Thank you for the help in advance. Mokuti -- Message posted via http://www.mackb.com On 2/26/10 8:46 PM, mokuti via MacKB.com wrote: > Is there a rule I cna create that will do this? > I am using a Gmail IMAP account and a .ME IMAP account. Custom View -...

Sliders with more than one variable
Hello everyone. I'm a junior in college and I'm taking an ops class. My teacher showed us how to make sliders, but I have a question on them. Can you make a slider change 3 variables? I'm trying to do weighted moving average forecasting and am curious howt0 a) make 3 variables = 1 (.6+.3+.1 etc.) or make the slider give more weight to the left side as you scroll etc. Any takers on helping me out? E mail me or post here. Thanx! -- Bhaltair ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bhaltair's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=...

Combining chart in one sheet
How can I put 2 or more graphs into one chart sheet? Here's a link to some info that might help: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip005.htm John Walkenbach For Excel tips, macros, & downloads... http://j-walk.com/ss "Angel Agosto" <gumster@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:273d401c38f3f$3621eb10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I put 2 or more graphs into one chart sheet? ...

Is there a way to limit access to a page in Excel to one person?
Is there a way to limit who has access to a page created in Excel to only the people who need to have the access? Like perhaps to put a block on it?? Or fix it so that you have to have a password to gain access to the particular page?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. What do you consider as a "page"? What is printed out is usually referred to as a page or pages. Perhaps you are referring to a particular worksheet. If a worksheet, you could hide the sheet under Format>Hide>Sheet then Protect the Workbook under Tools>Protection>Protect Workbook and enter a ...

how do I make a graph with one very large piece of data
I am trying to make a graph in Excel with mostly small numbers for data, but with one large number. The graph does not display well. Is there a way to break up that large number so that the small numbers show up too. eg Hockey 3 Soccer 2 Basketball 3 Football 59 There is no really "good" way Some suggestions are 1) Put football on a secondary axis 2) Use a log scale 3) Set the maximum y scale value to a small number (5, say) and add a text box to state that football is 59 I favour #3 best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "...

Please recommend one freeware to prevent USB flash disk from virus
Sometimes, I plug USB flash disk into various unknown computers. And I don't know if these computers are free from virus or not. What can I do? On Mar 29, 7:18=A0am, "=C0=EE" <H> wrote: > Sometimes, I plug USB flash disk into various unknown computers. And I do= n't > know if these computers are free from virus or not. What can I do? If your flash disk is a U3 compatible drive, you can get a U3 anti- virus module. If not, there is no utility to prevent a virus from "infecting" any flash drive. The only thing you can do is to routinely...

ActiveSync Two Outlooks into One PDA
I have a Compaq IPAQ 3955, and I am currently syncing to my WIN98/Outlook 2000 laptop at home. I need to be able to create another sync "file" so that I can sync my Outlook contacts from my work computer (WINXP/Outlook XP) into my same IPAQ. I need to be able to keep the contacts, appointments, etc. separate from each other between the computers (otherwise, my personal information at home will be sync'd into my work computer, and I don't want that to happen), that is why I want two folders set up on the IPAQ, and the ability to sync them separate from each other. ...

Changing Content in one coulumn using given content in another
Hi All I have a small puzzle. In one column , I have a list of various components , many of which appear multiple times. In another , I have a list of their prices. I need a small routine which will ask via popup for the column and identify a particular component in it. Then a new price for the chosen components will be requested and each changed accordingly in the second column. For example ; Before a 2.50 b 3.60 c 11.56 d 6.35 a 2.50 b 3.60 c 11.56 d 6.35 a 2.50 b 3.60 c 11.56 d 6.35 After ( component a is chosen , new price is 4.85) ...

Import One Page Into Anoter Document
I found this question posted, but there were no answers. Mary Sauer evidently gave the answer, but I can't find the post. So sorry. I would like to create single pages, then compile the pages of choice into one document. I'm creating tutorials, and it is just easier to create one page at a time and decide on page order later. Thank you for your anticipated help. Since I am brand new here, and don't want to miss the answer, is it possible for me to receive an email? Thanks! lsgal mary wrote: > I found this question posted, but there were no answers. Mary Sauer evidently ...

How can I merge 2 documents into one and combine changes?
I have 2 documents. About 75% of the information is identical in both. when I merge them I get a 3rd document that highlights and red-lines changes and shows what has been DELETED. What I want to do is: 1. Have word compare the 2 and delete only duplicate entries 2. Insert additions in one document from other 3. Show me what has been changed 4. Allow me to merge the two and ELIMINATE the correction notations (red text, lines, etc.) Thanks ...

More than one snapshot per email
Anyone able to steer me towards attaching more than one report to an email in Access 97 (using a macro)? I'm trying to streamline our process here, which currently involves printing two reports, then scanning them into an imaging database, then emailing that scanned file to its recipient. Instead of that, I want to just have it automatically attach it to an email (like with SendObject), but I don't know how to automate that with just one email instead of two. Eric D. Braden wrote: > Anyone able to steer me towards attaching more than one report to an > email in Access 97 (usi...

create one local profile
Hi, I want to create only one local profile on a PC and and I want prevent the domain accounts to create a local profile when they will login on this PC. Is it a way to configure it? Thanks, Imad Strange - someone by the name of "Haydar" posted an identical question exactly ten minutes ago . . . "Imad" <haydar2906@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d162194d-e5ab-4e41-a253-83481fd3b63a@o9g2000vbj.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I want to create only one local profile on a PC and and I want prevent > the > domain accounts to cre...

I have 2 accounts with the same bank... only one of them updates
I've got 2 CapitalOne cards, one a visa, the other Master Card and whatever account I enter in first is the only one that will update. They both update just fine on their own as I've tried them both alone. I was just wondering if anyone has found the way to make them both work at the same time? Thanx ...

How to email just one worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook with many sheets. I want to send just one of the worksheets to someone. Do I have to create special workbook and copy the sheet I want to send to it? Thanks for your help. You'd need VBA if you don't want to make a one sheet workbook http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "John L" <johnrloganis@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:kekic.33745$Rz3.14325@fed1read05... > I have a workbook with many sheets. I want to send just one of the > worksheets to someone. > Do I have to create special workbook and copy the sheet ...

Need help: table with all locations AND just one location
Hello! WHAT I WANT TO DO: I'm trying to build a report that will summarize quarterly data for each of my company's locations and display it along side aggregate data. PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED: I built a table with five columns (item, all count, all %, location count, location %), but I can only get it to display the location count and % in both sets of columns. MY LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE: I've never used the reporting function before and I'm finding both my Missing Manual and usual on-line resources (Lynda.com, microsoft.com) to be pretty thin on anything beyond the mo...

ONE PAGE REPORT WANTS TO PRINT 1311 pages in each copy, WHY?
The excel report is only one page but recognizes it as 1311 pages long, why. Nothing shows on pages other than page one. Re-set your print area. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "G'pa Woody" <G'pa Woody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD997767-EF4A-4C22-95FE-13805F5684CF@microsoft.com... > The excel report is only one page but recognizes it as 1311 pages long, why. > Nothing shows on pages other than page one. Woody Check your print range settings. File>Print Area. Clear it first then reset to your desired r...

Copy Cell Formulal, but need one of the Cells to stay Static.
I am copying a formula from one cell to the next. Here is the formula: =SUM(B5,C5) When I paste it to the next cell below it looks like this: =SUM(B6,C6) When I paste the formula to the cell below, I need the C5 to stay the same, so it sould say: =SUM(B6,C5) What is the syntax to do this? Thx, Scott Buerkley Scott Buerkley wrote: > I am copying a formula from one cell to the next. Here is the > formula: =SUM(B5,C5) > > When I paste it to the next cell below it looks like this: > =SUM(B6,C6) > > When I paste the formula to the cell below, I need the C5 to stay the ...

"one or more of the selected senders could not be added to your blocked senders list"
Hey all. I get this when ever I try to killfile anyone at all, regardless of who they are. I'm on OE6 in XP Home and this has only just started happening. My KF only has a few spammers in it so I don't think it's full. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks "Ayatollah of rock 'n' roller" <thisisf@lse.co.ck> wrote in message news:gGxDn.40$Bm7.30@newsfe29.ams2... > Hey all. I get this when ever I try to killfile anyone at all, regardless of > who they are. I'm on OE6 in XP Home and this has only just started > happen...

How to make many random test outcomes in one chart?
For Example, From column A1 to A20 I assign 20 random numbers (A1=rand(), A2=rand(), .... A20=rand()). Then I put B1=sum(A1,A2,...,A20) Every time I press "F9", I got a outcome of B1 Now I want to get the outcome 1000 times, and assign the data to other columns such as C11 to C10000. How to do that? -- vegas ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vegas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25091 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386025 Hi! Here's one way.... Extend ...

how to subtract one row from the other?
how to subtract one row from the other? Use a simple formula like =A1-A2 Copy this formula to the right as far as you need to go. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "prasad" <prasad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EADC60A5-9995-4E52-9A58-7A7FAFC8C69E@microsoft.com... > how to subtract one row from the other? ...

Messages Dissapear for One Specific Sender
I am using Outlook 2003 on a XP machine. I have a number of different folders created (with rules) that allow mail to be sent to the appropriate folders. All the folders and mail delivery work fine, with the exception of one folder/user. I have a folder that the mail from this particular sender should be directed to, but the mail doesn't show up there. It doesn't show in the inbox either. When the user sends me a message, it flashes upon the screen and then disappears. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks. Travis Is it safe to assume you've already deleted and recreate...