Mapi email problem (and Apology)

=====================
First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group I
had posted to by accident.

I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail client
information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and attachments
gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.

This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying to
send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No matter
what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't resolve
this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?

I have thought of using any VB6 method that could send email independent of
user's default email... But I am stomped too. The Sendmail.dll can't seem to
resolve the issue of sending mail using IMAP (like Gmail) settings..

In short I need your  help. Thanks in advance.

0
jpBless

jpBless was thinking very hard :
> =====================
> First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
> accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group I
> had posted to by accident.
>

> I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
> prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail client
> information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and attachments
> gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.
>
> This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
> However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
> message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying to
> send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No matter
> what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't resolve
> this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?
>
> I have thought of using any VB6 method that could send email independent of
> user's default email... But I am stomped too. The Sendmail.dll can't seem to
> resolve the issue of sending mail using IMAP (like Gmail) settings..
>
> In short I need your  help. Thanks in advance.

That's a security prompt that OE displays if the option 'Warn me if
other apps try sending mail as me' is checked. This is set by the user
via the Options dialog Security tab.

There's two things you could do IMO; 1. Use your own email account
info/credentials in the MapiSession.SignOn, -OR- 2. Pass 'TRUE' for the
optional MapiSession.Send arg to display the user's default mail app
dialog to so the user can do the send.

I prefer the latter approach so as to give the user an opportunity to
view the email and optionally edit it if desired. Also, this doesn't
require any username/password info because it defaults to using the
user's mail app account. Otherwise, you can fill in and prepare all the
other stuff via code thus leaving only the 'Send' up to the user.

HTH
--
Garry

0
GS
4/6/2010 11:12:43 PM
Search this NG on April 5, 2009 subject:  synchronize contacts with exchange

I posted a Delphi solution to get rid of the nag warning.  With a little
effort, you could make it a VB6 solution.

"jpBless" <jp3blessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> =====================
> First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
> accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group
> I had posted to by accident.
>

> I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
> prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail
> client
> information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and
> attachments
> gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.
>
> This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
> However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
> message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying
> send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No
> matter
> what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't
> resolve
> this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?
>
> I have thought of using any VB6 method that could send email independent
> of
> user's default email... But I am stomped too. The Sendmail.dll can't seem
> resolve the issue of sending mail using IMAP (like Gmail) settings..
>
> In short I need your  help. Thanks in advance.

0
Mike
4/6/2010 11:31:59 PM

"jpBless" <jp3blessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> =====================
> First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
> accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group
> I had posted to by accident.

Nobody hardly reads that anyway.  <g>

> I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
> prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail
> client
> information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and
> attachments
> gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.
>
> This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
> However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
> message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying
> send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No
> matter
> what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't
> resolve
> this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?

That's actually a fairly old problem. I think Outlook 2000 was the first
version to implement this security feature.  There are ways around it.  For
example, you might want to use CDO instead.  CDO is not dependent on an
email client program. BUT, the user will need to provide some information
such as the SMTP and/or POP  server and possibly credentials.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
4/6/2010 11:33:00 PM

"jpBless" <jp3blessNoSpam@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : uV2HjHd1KHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> =====================
> First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
> accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group
> I had posted to by accident.
>

> I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
> prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail
> client
> information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and
> attachments
> gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.
>
> This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
> However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
> message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying
> send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No
> matter
> what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't
> resolve
> this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?
>
> I have thought of using any VB6 method that could send email independent
> of
> user's default email... But I am stomped too. The Sendmail.dll can't seem
> resolve the issue of sending mail using IMAP (like Gmail) settings..
>
> In short I need your  help. Thanks in advance.

The easiest way is to use Redemption for Outlook. It gets around this
problem and exposes many more methods and properties than CDO.
It's free (getting rarer these days) and works with all versions of Outlook
AFAIK.

Please note that solutions that involve "turning off" the warning may not
work in a corporate environment as this is one of the many things that a
SysAdmin locks in Group Policy to avoid virus propagation.

0
Clive
4/7/2010 7:22:21 AM
Thanks GS, MikeB, MikeD, Clive Lamb for your time and input. I really
appreciate. I installed "Outlook Redemption" suggested by Clive Lamb and the
it works OK (for now). The security warning stopped. Although I would love
to have intrinsic VB solution to this proble,

Again thank you all for helping... much appreciated.

"jpBless" <jp3blessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> =====================
> First off my apology for multiposting. I posted to the wrong group by
> accident. This post was meant for this group and not the enterprise group
> I had posted to by accident.
>

> I have automated VB6 application that sends email to to clients when
> prompted by a user. The app uses MAPI client (using the default mail
> client
> information to send the mail). After sending mail the email and
> attachments
> gets added to SENT Folder of the mail client.
>
> This app has worked well and still does for users using Outlook express.
> However if the default client is Outlook Application a security
> message/warning comes up warning the user "Unknown application is trying
> send messge..." and ask user to confirm and select profile etc... No
> matter
> what the user does the app hangs. I have tried all I could and can't
> resolve
> this problem... Has any one encountered and resolved this issue?
>
> I have thought of using any VB6 method that could send email independent
> of
> user's default email... But I am stomped too. The Sendmail.dll can't seem
> resolve the issue of sending mail using IMAP (like Gmail) settings..
>
> In short I need your  help. Thanks in advance.

0
jpBless
4/7/2010 11:47:29 AM
| Although I would love
| to have intrinsic VB solution to this proble,

   I'm not really familiar with IMAP, but isn't that
only for retrieval? I don't understand why you
can't use VB SMTP code (like vbSendMail) to
email through gmail. There are specs here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

  Is it possible that you used the wrong port?
(Most email now requires authentication, using
port 587 rather than 25, but using authentication
is not problematic in terms of coding it.)

   I noticed that gmail
SMTP also uses a secure logon. That might be
an issue. I don't know what's involved in doing
that, but it might be worth looking into. It would
probably require checking whether a secure
connection is required during the initial EHLO
exchange (which is easy) and then being ready
to encrypt the communication (which may not
be easy...I don't know). There's a page here
about TLS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

  If you figure it out maybe you can post the
code back here. :) It looks like it probably
requires at least an additional encryption
lib., though. (capicom?)

0
Mayayana

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Sending Email #6

Hyperlink problem #3

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Problem with Database Wizard

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

TABSTOP problem
I have a dialog where in depending on the selection from a combo box, the controls below are going to be different. For doing this I have put a static control in the place where I am going to show different controls. I have created different dialog templates for each option. Consider the case of particular option, say "MySQL". Corresponding to this option, there is a dialog in resource, the style of which is child and no border. I have added a class for this dialog called CMySQLDialog. Inside CMySQLDialog there is a function called CreateFromStatic which takes parent and ID as parame...