Is including Excel9.olb in the installation files necessary?

I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:

[Setup1 Files]
File8=@EXCEL9.OLB,$(WinSysPath),,$(Shared),3/19/99 10:00:32
PM,638976,9.0.0.2719

I read here that this file is installed with Excel when part of Office 2000:

"File Description: Microsoft Office 2000 component".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/excel9.olb-22355.html
---

This MS page verified that, and mentioned a new location of the object
library in Office 2002-3:

"...If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2000, choose Microsoft Excel
9.0 Object Library for which the default location is the C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel9.olb.
If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2002 and Microsoft Office Excel
2003, the object library is embedded in the file Excel.exe. ..."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178749
---

It sounds like every Office installation that includes Excel includes an
Excel object library file. Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
Wizard included when installing a program that automates Excel? It seems
redundant. Installing it on a machine that doesn't have Excel doesn't
seem like it will accomplish anything, except maybe allowing you to trap
an error telling you Excel is not installed with a more specific error
number. Can I safely remove this file from the installer no matter what
version of Office, or what OS (XP or later)?

Mike
0
Mike

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:19:10 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
>Wizard included when installing a program

No.  It's just a pointer file or something similar.  We had a big
discussion on this a short while ago that I likely initiated that
explained all this but I can't find the discussion right now.

>that automates Excel?

And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.

Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
the user has a different version of Excel?   Or Excel isn't installed
at all?   In the Access world I point folks to the following article
on late binding and it should stil be quite relevant to VB6.

"Late Binding in Microsoft Access" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
On 9/9/2010 10:00 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:19:10 -0700, Mike S<mscir@yahoo.com>  wrote:

>> Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
>> Wizard included when installing a program

> No.  It's just a pointer file or something similar.  We had a big
> discussion on this a short while ago that I likely initiated that
> explained all this but I can't find the discussion right now.
>> that automates Excel?

> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.
> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
> the user has a different version of Excel?   Or Excel isn't installed
> at all?   In the Access world I point folks to the following article
> on late binding and it should stil be quite relevant to VB6.
> "Late Binding in Microsoft Access" page at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
> Tony

Thanks very much, this sounds perfect, I'll try this and see how it works.

Mike
0
Mike
9/10/2010 5:40:18 AM
On 10/09/2010 05:19, Mike S wrote:
> I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
> based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:

Did you not like my answer in the Inno groups? :)
I'd already said you can't distribute it and you acknowledged it...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
9/10/2010 8:14:47 AM
On 9/10/2010 1:14 AM, Dee Earley wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 05:19, Mike S wrote:
>> I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
>> based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:
>
> Did you not like my answer in the Inno groups? :)
> I'd already said you can't distribute it and you acknowledged it...

I read your post, and with all due respect, while you expressed an
opinion you gave no sources, so I did a little looking around with
Google, and came here to find out what I could learn. The answer I got
here was extremely helpful and just what I needed. I was fortunate
enough to benefit from a discussion by some very talented programmers
that I didn't even participate in. I think I understand the situation a
lot better now, so I can automate Excel, and avoid distributing one file
unnecessarily and potentially illegally. You may recall that the same
newsgroup also had a reply strongly recommending I contact MS to resolve
that issue. I consider myself fortunate to have received a better
understanding of the problem, and a solution, without dealing with any
phone support.

0
Mike
9/10/2010 8:43:24 AM
"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
:
: I read your post, and with all due respect, while you expressed an
: opinion you gave no sources, so I did a little looking around with
: Google, and came here to find out what I could learn. The answer I got
: here was extremely helpful and just what I needed. I was fortunate
: enough to benefit from a discussion by some very talented programmers
: that I didn't even participate in. I think I understand the situation a
: lot better now, so I can automate Excel, and avoid distributing one file
: unnecessarily and potentially illegally. You may recall that the same
: newsgroup also had a reply strongly recommending I contact MS to resolve
: that issue. I consider myself fortunate to have received a better
: understanding of the problem, and a solution, without dealing with any
: phone support.

There is no "potentially illegal" about it.  One of the many license
agreements specifically says you cannot.  I do not recall which as it's been
sometime since I played around with office components, but I do recall
seeing the text specifically in my research.

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 12:38:09 PM
> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.

This is definitely a NO-NO!

> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
> the user has a different version of Excel?

Whatever version of
excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
is running on the user's machine. It's just considered good practice in
the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
you expect users to use.

> Or Excel isn't installed at all?

You will get a MISSING! flag in the refs dialog. It's always good to
test (using CreateObject) if the target machine has Excel installed,
whether or not you use early binding for development. Just don't
execute the code if Excel is not installed, and display a notification
to the user of the requirement for Excel to be installed.

Here's one of several test functions I use for checking installation of
required MSO apps. I have one for each MSO app I'd be inclined to
automate.

Public Function bExcelAvailable() As Boolean
' Determines whether Excel is available for automation on the computer.
  Dim xlApp As Object

  'Attempt to start an instance of Excel.
  On Error Resume Next
  Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  On Error GoTo 0
  'Return the result of the test.
  bExcelAvailable = (Not xlApp Is Nothing)
  Set xlApp = Nothing
End Function  'bExcelAvailable()

So in my code I'd make anything that requires Excel to be installed
conditional on the return of the test function:

  If bExcelAvailable Then
    'do stuff
  Else
    NotifyAutomationFailure
  End If

Sub NotifyAutomationFailure()
  Dim sMsg As String
  sMsg = "This application requires Excel to be installed on your
computer."
  sMsg = sMsg & vbCrLf
  sMsg = sMsg & "Excel failed to start. This application can not
continue!"
  MsgBox sMsg, vbCritical, "Startup Failure!"
End Sub

HTH

--
Garry

GS
9/10/2010 5:26:56 PM
On 9/10/2010 10:26 AM, GS wrote:
>> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.
>
> This is definitely a NO-NO!
>

>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it? What happens if
>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>
> Whatever version of
> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version is
> running on the user's machine. It's just considered good practice in the
> Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version you
> expect users to use.
>
>> Or Excel isn't installed at all?
>
> You will get a MISSING! flag in the refs dialog. It's always good to
> test (using CreateObject) if the target machine has Excel installed,
> whether or not you use early binding for development. Just don't execute
> the code if Excel is not installed, and display a notification to the
> user of the requirement for Excel to be installed.
>
> Here's one of several test functions I use for checking installation of
> required MSO apps. I have one for each MSO app I'd be inclined to automate.
>
> Public Function bExcelAvailable() As Boolean
> ' Determines whether Excel is available for automation on the computer.
> Dim xlApp As Object
>
> 'Attempt to start an instance of Excel.
> On Error Resume Next
> Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> On Error GoTo 0
> 'Return the result of the test.
> bExcelAvailable = (Not xlApp Is Nothing)
> Set xlApp = Nothing
> End Function 'bExcelAvailable()
>
> So in my code I'd make anything that requires Excel to be installed
> conditional on the return of the test function:
>
> If bExcelAvailable Then
> 'do stuff
> Else
> NotifyAutomationFailure
> End If
>
> Sub NotifyAutomationFailure()
> Dim sMsg As String
> sMsg = "This application requires Excel to be installed on your computer."
> sMsg = sMsg & vbCrLf
> sMsg = sMsg & "Excel failed to start. This application can not continue!"
> MsgBox sMsg, vbCritical, "Startup Failure!"
> End Sub
>
> HTH

I am using the approach Tony Toews suggested, "Late Binding in Microsoft
Access" http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
Apparently I was not clear enough, the olb file is now removed from the
installer. The late binding worked on Excel 2000.
Thanks Again Tony.

0
Mike
9/10/2010 8:00:20 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:26:56 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>
>Whatever version of
>excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>is running on the user's machine.

That's not been my experience in the Access world.

>It's just considered good practice in
>the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>you expect users to use.

And Word and whatever else.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/10/2010 8:42:46 PM
Tony Toews formulated the question :
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:26:56 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
>>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>>
>> Whatever version of
>> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>> is running on the user's machine.
>
> That's not been my experience in the Access world.

Apparently, some MSO apps behave differently. I've never had a need to
automate Access but I here the version ref is critical.

Outlook is a single-instance only app and so its test (and automation)
needs to be handled a bit different.

The test function example I posted was for Excel, but they all also
grab version info (removed for brevity) into global vars for each MSO
app so I know what's been installed.

In most cases, my apps will always contain version-specific code and so
it's mandatory they be version aware!

>> It's just considered good practice in
>> the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>> you expect users to use.
>
> And Word and whatever else.

Well, of course...<g>

--
Garry

GS
9/10/2010 9:50:16 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:50:16 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>>> Whatever version of
>>> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>>> is running on the user's machine.
>>
>> That's not been my experience in the Access world.
>
>Apparently, some MSO apps behave differently. I've never had a need to
>automate Access but I here the version ref is critical.

I shoud've been more specific.  I meant Access as the programming
environment referencing Excel, Word or Outlook.   In the Access world
if you had a different version of Excel, Word or Outlook than the
users then the Access app would fall over with wierd VBA errors long
before it even attempted to run your Excel, Word or Outlook specific
code.

>In most cases, my apps will always contain version-specific code and so
>it's mandatory they be version aware!

Ah, whereas I kept my code to be very simplish and generic. It likely
could've worked in Office 97 without any changes.

>>> It's just considered good practice in
>>> the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>>> you expect users to use.
>>
>> And Word and whatever else.
>
>Well, of course...<g>

You know that but lurkers might not.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 12:13:04 AM
Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.

So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required. In
my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.

In cases where clients don't use MSO I use a VB6.exe with Farpoint's
Spread, an awesome control which totally eliminates any dependancy on
Excel.

I don't have much experience with Access beyond building basic
databases to use with my apps when appropriate. I'm looking at using
SQLite with Olaf's dhRichClient components as an alternative. I just
don't get a lot of requests for database structures beyond what can be
done with plain text files and ADO.<g>

Kind regards,

--
Garry

GS
9/11/2010 4:12:29 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:12:29 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.
>
>So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
>as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required.

Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
year.

>In
>my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
>my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
>startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
>I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.

Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
different role in life.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 8:15:52 PM
Tony Toews explained on 9/11/2010 :
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:12:29 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.
>>
>> So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
>> as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required.
>
> Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
> year.

That's probably a good thing, especially if Access supports COMAddins.
I found this about the only way to obtain any reasonable level of code
security. Also, VB6 offers much better advantages over working with
VBA<IMO>.

Seems, though, that you've been around longer than that. Your posts
certainly have been appreciated!<g>

>> In
>> my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
>> my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
>> startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
>> I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.
>
> Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
> by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
> different role in life.

I can't imagine what that would be where Access is concerned. Most of
my solutions are user-defined task specific utilities that provide
custom analysis of existing database data. Thus, that part is already
in place for the most part, just requiring field mapping to integrate
with my app.

I use a frontloader for multiple purposes, mostly to qualify if startup
will happen. It's a good place to do a bunch of stuff that's common to
every app but doesn't really need to be compiled internally with the
app.exe. I'm referring to checking if required files exist, access
permissions haven't changed, Excel is installed, license validation,
and if all is well then workspace setup. (I pretty much like to use
dictator type configurations so my users aren't distracted with all the
unused features of Excel. I try to take this as far as possible so it
doesn't even seem like my users are working in Excel)

--
Garry

GS
9/11/2010 8:57:49 PM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:57:49 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>> Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
>> year.
>
>That's probably a good thing, especially if Access supports COMAddins.

That whole bit about COMAddins I know nothing about.

>I found this about the only way to obtain any reasonable level of code
>security.

There's only one outfit who stated they can retreive the code, without
comments of course, from an Access MDE.

>Also, VB6 offers much better advantages over working with
>VBA<IMO>.

Actually Access is a better GUI for desiging forms than VB6.  The GUI
editor is much more refined with lots of little tweaks.  For example
if you accidentally move a control in Access Ctrl+Z will put it back.
Not so in VB6.

But I wanted to use VB simply because it was a standalone utility and
didn't require anything else.  Mind you that was ten years ago so I've
forgotten the exact reasons.   I suspect part of the reason was simply
to play, err program, in a different environment.

>Seems, though, that you've been around longer than that. Your posts
>certainly have been appreciated!<g>

In this newsgroup I haven't been doing too much posting before about a
year ago.  However there are a *lot* of similarities between VB6 and
VBA.  Indeed there's an obscure bug while debugging code that happens
in both VB6 and VBA.

OTOH there are enough differences that, in one posting of mine in this
newsgroup,I was completely wrong with my solution.  The solution works
in Access but not VB6.  I was somewhat embarrassed so I've been a bit
more cautious ever since.  <smile>

>> Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
>> by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
>> different role in life.
>
>I can't imagine what that would be where Access is concerned.

Visit the website as per my sig below.  <smile> The first page should
give you the basics.  I'm up to about 16K lines of code of which about
3K or 4K are imported API calls or user controls.

Once I add the options to copy subfolders I will be activating my
autofileupdater.com website and see if I can sell a generic solution
to copying sets of files to PCs.  Dunno if that's feasible but it
isn't going to cost me much time to have a slightly different program.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 2:32:18 AM
Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!

<FYI>
(Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
the St. Lawrence)
</FYI> Where are you?

I'm not a database expert by any means, but I do know the basic rules
for building good relational databases. Fact is most of my work uses
flat tables of data, all of which can be easily stored/retrieved from
text files or Excel worksheets. An Excel workbook was my first database
because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
without having to learn a new app (ie: Access). I can distribute an XLS
and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
look at SQLite.

Otherwise, I just work with users' existing database app files and use
field mapping as mentioned earlier.

--
Garry

GS
9/12/2010 3:53:25 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:53:25 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
>Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!

Thank. I like to think that, while it's very ugly, it's among the best
five in terms of content for advanced Access folks.

My excuse for it being so ugly is that I started it in late 1995 using
Notepad and a help file describing HTML from a shareware HTML editor
called Hot Dog.   Been too busy to do a site overhaul and too cheap to
pay anyone to update it.

><FYI>
>(Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
>the St. Lawrence)
></FYI> Where are you?

Alberta.   That's the ab in the website URL.  <smirk>

>An Excel workbook was my first database
>because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
>without having to learn a new app (ie: Access).

Hehe.  Many corporate IT nazis think of uninstalling Access because
users abuse it.  My standard response is, at least the users are
trying to build a proper database.  It'll be worse in Excel.  <smile>

> I can distribute an XLS
>and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
>doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
>since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
>installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
>look at SQLite.

Embrace what is already present.  <smile>

I'd not use SQLite because it requires another set of DLLs,
distribution, installation etc.   I would suggest MDB format simply
because the Jet 4.0/DAO 3.6/ADO 2.8 DLLs come with Windows 2000 and
newer including Windows 7.  You don't have to even think about them
because the Windows OS updates them for security patches.

For some information with respect to versioning on ADO see my blog
posting: I've never quite trusted ADO because ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2010/07/01/i-ve-never-quite-trusted-ado-because.aspx

Of course we don't know what is going to happen in Windows 8 with
those DLLs.  But I suspect a *lot* of apps depend on those so they may
be sticking around for a long time to come.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 4:59:08 AM
It happens that Tony Toews formulated :
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:53:25 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
>> Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!
>
> Thank. I like to think that, while it's very ugly, it's among the best
> five in terms of content for advanced Access folks.

Didn't notice it was ugly. Probably because I'm info oriented rather
than being amused with distracting pizzaz. I found it very easy to
navigate and get info.

> My excuse for it being so ugly is that I started it in late 1995 using
> Notepad and a help file describing HTML from a shareware HTML editor
> called Hot Dog.   Been too busy to do a site overhaul and too cheap to
> pay anyone to update it.

Yeah, I paid a pro to do one for me but that got old in a hurry when he
started to be unreliable or unavailable to make changes as needed. This
prompted me to use Frontpage to rebuild it myself. Only reason for
using FP was because it shipped with my Office 2000 Developer Edition
software. I've since upgraded to Expression Web, which I also use for
authoring CHMs, Ebooks, and any other html docs I need. (Of course,
managing a website also requires knowing a bit about using JavaScript)

>> <FYI>
>> (Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
>> the St. Lawrence)
>> </FYI> Where are you?
>
> Alberta.   That's the ab in the website URL.  <smirk>

That's what I suspected and so was asking just to confirm.

>> An Excel workbook was my first database
>> because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
>> without having to learn a new app (ie: Access).
>
> Hehe.  Many corporate IT nazis think of uninstalling Access because
> users abuse it.  My standard response is, at least the users are
> trying to build a proper database.  It'll be worse in Excel.  <smile>
>
>> I can distribute an XLS
>> and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
>> doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
>> since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
>> installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
>> look at SQLite.
>
> Embrace what is already present.  <smile>
>
> I'd not use SQLite because it requires another set of DLLs,
> distribution, installation etc.

I already use Olaf's dhRichClient components and so is why I'm looking
at SQLite.

>   I would suggest MDB format simply
> because the Jet 4.0/DAO 3.6/ADO 2.8 DLLs come with Windows 2000 and
> newer including Windows 7.  You don't have to even think about them
> because the Windows OS updates them for security patches.

There's been some dialog in NGs that this may get messed with. I hope
it's not the case but I'd like to know I have an alternative ready if
M$ drops anything from future OSs, which would necessitate us having to
distribute appropriate libs to continue on those platforms.

It's just that I'd be more comfortable all around not being dependant
on M$'s actions/decisions!<G> I'm sure Access will persist to exist but
that doesn't mean they won't mess with its db engine.

> For some information with respect to versioning on ADO see my blog
> posting: I've never quite trusted ADO because ...
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2010/07/01/i-ve-never-quite-trusted-ado-because.aspx

I started using ADO because it allows me to fairly easily load data
stored in Excel sheets or CSV text files into recordsets without
opening either. I've devoured several books by David Sussman on the
subject and so have become quite comfortable working with it. My
experience thus far has been problem free!<g>

--
Garry

GS

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Two questions about install packet made by vs2008.
Hi All: I use vs2008 to create an install packet. There are two problems about shortcut. 1.There is a pdf document in my product, and I create a shortcut for this file in start menu. How can I set pdf icon for this shortcut? 2.When I open the property dialog of this shortcut, the "find target" button is disabled. How can I enable this button? Maybe I can use installshield to solve these problems. Thanks! Fiveight ...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

RMS POS 2.0 SP1 fails to install
We are running RMS 2.0, and when I tried to install POS SP1 I get the following error" The expected version of the product was not found on your system" I have searched kb and found nothing that may address this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Sounds like you got the wrong service pack. POS is a different product. You need RMS 2.0 Service Pack 1. Marc "Davidjc52" <Davidjc52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE74C3F9-0CF6-4693-889C-8CD301CA691F@microsoft.com... > We are running RMS 2.0, and when I tried to install POS SP1 I get the &g...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

Windows Installer Configuration EVERY TIME!!!
Ok, so I am sure this sounds pretty familiar. Every time I open an office application, or an office document, I get a pop up of the windows installer and it starts running some mystery configuration process. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling. I have tried repairing the registry permissions. I have ripped all office traces out by force and done a clean install. I have rebuilt the registry, modified it, added some conditional entries, but to no avail. I have done it in the user account, and the built in administrator account. I have done both custom and full installs. ...

MSDE Installation Error
During the MSDE 2000 installation portion, afrer you input your password the app looks like it will install but I almost immediately get an error stating: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information. I looked for log files in the server Even Viewer and elsewhere and cannot find anything relevent. This same error happens if I try to download and install MSDE 2000 as a standalone but with the complex password setting in the Command Prompt. There are PC's on the domain that are alr...

Can I run ON from an external drive without it being installed on
Can I run ON from an external drive without it being installed on a local machine? "Ang130" <Ang130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5982603B-D3AC-48F3-84A4-D96DB4696889@microsoft.com... > Can I run ON from an external drive without it being installed on a local > machine? With Ceedo software Ang130 wrote: > Can I run ON from an external drive without it being installed on a > local machine? YES, if run under Ceedo with the Argo installer.[1] In theory it should also work with a USB stick. It would have a superfast stick, m...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

Bad File Name
I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", "C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" The file defintely exisits. Could it be the format part thats not right. Thanks DS DS wrote: >I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. > >FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", >"C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" Hard to tell without knowing what file name you are looking for. Is this the same ...

Laptop Client Installation
I have installed the laptop client on a user's laptop logged in as the administrator. The installation requried me set up Outlook, so I set up Outlook as the user while I was logged in as Administrator. The installation seemed to be successful, except that when the user logged on the laptop, he could not see the CRM in his outlook, yet when I logged in as Adminstrator and view his outlook, we could see the CRM in Outlook. How do I fix this? Hi, You will need to uninstall the existing installation and reinstall the Laptop client from the user's login. HTH, Niths "Onetreeu...

when starting excel, .doc & .dat file come up ?????
When I got my new computer at work XP Pro operating, w/2003 Office pro, every time I open Excel, about 12 .doc & .dat file pop up saying not excel format files, and I have to say close to everyone. Then, if automatically defaults to opening an excel file that is someone elses. I have tried running a repair, uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing works. Never, have I had anything like this happen in my fifteen years. Any suggestions????? HELP it really slows me down. -- thankssomuch The first place I'd check is: Tools|Options|General Tab Make sure that the "at star...

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

Publisher 2003 file not updated on save
Hi, I have a client using Publisher 2003 under XP. The file she is working on, March.pub, is stored on a Windows 2003 server which she accesses via a mapped P: drive. Yesterday, she worked on a file most of the day and swears she did a Save very often. About 4pm, she saved, printed her work, exited from Publisher, logged off Windows, and went home. Today when she came in she opened the file, only to find that it was missing much of her work. I checked and in fact the latest version on the server is from about 1pm. I had no luck finding a temporary version on the XP machine's C: dr...

I have a e-mail in my delete file that will not deleate.
I have tried to delete a file from my junk mail file, when I try to remove the e-mail I get a message to go to an in box repair tool, with a scanpst.exe. Nothing appears when I type in scanpst.exe and this e-mail I cannot move the e-mail it is frozen Search, to include hidden files for scanpst.exe. You dont run scanpst.exe from within outlook "roger" <roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD25472-D780-4E95-9F7C-1F69E01FE913@microsoft.com... >I have tried to delete a file from my junk mail file, when I try to remove > the e-mail I get a m...

Macro syntax to open file in current explorer folder
Pt 1 : MS Excel 97 SR-2 ----------------------- I would like to use a macro code line starting Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=".\AmsAll-1.prn", _ to open the tab delimited file "AmsAll-1.prn" in the folder from which I launch the Excel application. However the ".\" path qualifier always reverts to the C: drive, not the K: mapped drive that I access all my project files from. It is inconvenient to navigate several levels down to the project from C:\ just to run this one application. The following does work : Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="k:.\AmsAll-1...

delimited file format issue
i get reports from (idx) a program that are delimited files. the columns are all fine but 1 and i can't figure it out. its supposed to be money and comes across as 11500. in the original program (idx) it would look like 115.00 and that is how i want it to look in excel. i tried the easy stuff like formatting and i keep getting 11500.00 or 1150.0 in my simple mind i thought it would be easy to move that decimal but its not turning out that way. i have thousands of line items so doing it one by one is not the optimum solution. any help is appreciated. excel 2003 os XP You really wa...

SQL Express Not found during Installation
Hello everybody When I want to start the setup of MSCRM, I don't want to download SQL Express at every client. I want to give setup the file, which I downloaded before. So I use the my existing file in the directory \SQLEXPRESS\SQLEpr.exe (I have this directory from the logfile.) The file has the correct name and version number, but setup don't want to find my file. With .NET and all other components it works very well. - Does anyone know what I could do? - Could it be a problem with the language of SQL Express? (we use the german client) - Has anyone experience with that? T...

Conversion to pdf file problem
I have MS Publisher 2007 and Windows XP. I created a document which will be printed on 11 x 8 1/2 paper (landscape style) and folded in half- booklet. The individual page is 5.5 x 8.268 and thus two pages are printed on one landscape sheet. I can use the Print Preview and the publisher document looks fine but when I convert and publish it to a pdf document, the pages are screwy. The pages are narrow with text cut off . What am I doing wrong? Are you using the *save as a PDF* add-in from Microsoft? How did your booklet lose a quarter of an inch? Try the add-in, see if it converts c...

Including Images in Excel Report Builder
We have a client that is attaching jpgs to the item maintenance window in GP and they want an Excel Report Builder report of each inventory item along with its image. It seems that the file name is stored in hex format. Is it possible to include a reference to the image location in an Excel Report Builder report, so the report can include the image inside of Excel? Thanks ...