How do I display full paths instead of the truncated (tilde) forma

I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

i.e.:
force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
to display as
"C:\Program Files\My Application\"

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Garry

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
full
| text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
|
| i.e.:
| force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
| to display as
| "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

This is kind of old school

Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String

Dim sLongName   As String
Dim sTemp       As String
Dim iSlashPos   As Long

sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
sShortName = sShortName & "\"

iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")

While iSlashPos
    sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
vbSystem + vbDirectory)
    If sTemp = vbNullString Then
        GetLongFilename = vbNullString
        Exit Function
    End If
    sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
    iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
Wend

GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName

End Function

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

If you don't need to support Win9x
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364980(VS.85).aspx

0
Bob
2/2/2010 11:09:48 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

What control are you using?

0
Nobody
2/2/2010 11:14:15 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

Start here:
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1133

LFS

0
Larry
2/2/2010 11:18:58 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> the tilde character.

You can use the GetLongPathname function:

Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
  Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
  ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long

Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
Dim s1 As String, p As Long
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
s1 = Space$(p)
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
If p <> 0 Then
  LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
End If
End Function

Mike

0
Mike
2/2/2010 11:58:44 PM

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> Thanks in advance!

You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
a different function.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
2/3/2010 12:38:09 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks! Here's the code:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"MikeD" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> > full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>

> You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
> code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
> long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
> so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
> function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
> a different function.
>
> --
> Mike
>

> .

Thanks!

I'm using the following code, not a control:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"Nobody" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> >full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> What control are you using?
>

> .

Hi Kevin,
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

BTW I never went to that school. I'm trying to learn this stuff any which
way I can...
Help is always appreciated!

regards,
Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

Thanks Mike! I'll give this a try!

What I'm using is:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

It returns full text on my dev machine (rather short length path) but I get
truncated versions on test machines.

regards,
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

GS explained :
> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>
> Label1.Caption = App.Path

You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 3:00:54 AM
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> GS explained :
>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>
>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
recollection.

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

0
Jim
2/3/2010 3:10:53 AM
Works great. Thanks so much!
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

Works great. Thanks so much!

Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

My thanks to all! Nice to get a variety of solutions; -great for learning
this stuff.

Kind regards,
Garry
Hi Larry,
Thanks! Works great.

I saw this already and passed it over because 'Filename' was in it. After
reviewing the other posts I'm now better informed about how it works.

regards,
Garry
Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.

I'm using VB6 SP6
Garry

"Karl E. Peterson" wrote:

> GS explained :
> > I'm using the following code, not a control:
> >
> > Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> --
> ..NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org
>

> .

Jim Mack presented the following explanation :
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> GS explained :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
> using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
> recollection.

Oh, like, ~wow~ man...  I remember something like that, too...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:19:58 PM
GS submitted this idea :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
> My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
> What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
> dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.
>
> I'm using VB6 SP6

That is /really/ weird.  How are the apps being started?  (It's only
happening in the compiled apps?)  Could it be as simple as Jim
suggests?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:21:23 PM
It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev machine.
It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the file
via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue thanks
to many who responded.

Kind regards,
Garry

BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever worked.
I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look into
that..?<g>
> It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
> machine.
> It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
> file
> via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
> thanks
> to many who responded.
>
> Kind regards,
> Garry
>
> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
> worked.
> I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
> into
> that..?<g>

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.

0
Bob
2/4/2010 12:51:39 AM
Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>
--

"Bob Butler" wrote:

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>

Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
is spend some time looking for it.

Mike

0
Mike
2/4/2010 9:05:41 AM
GS wrote:
> Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>

In this group, perhaps. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:37:00 PM
Mike Williams wrote:
> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
>> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
>> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not,

It's a very bad joke indeed, but not by the OP.  You can thank
Microsoft for this one.

> and I don't know how
> most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters who
> cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do is
> spend some time looking for it.

Agreed.  It again shows that MSFT has *no clue* about community.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:38:28 PM
Hi Mike,

It was not intended as a joke, but more to draw attention to the fact that
the notification service wasn't working. I never rely on it anymore and so I
can only look for replies when I get a chance. I dutifully check often when
I'm the OP, and as often as I can when I'm replying to other OPs.

So the comment was meant more as an apology to you all for not replying in a
more timely fashion.

Kind regards,
Garry
--

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> > ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> > someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
> how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
> who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
> is spend some time looking for it.
>
> Mike
>

> .

How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

GS wrote:
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
subscribe to this group.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 8:01:12 PM
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

news.microsoft.com carries it; various ISPs do as well

0
Bob
2/4/2010 8:03:33 PM
Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
Wow! -nice way to work this...

Thanks so much!
Garry
--

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>

> "Bob Butler" wrote:
>

>> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
>> > machine.
>> > It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
>> > file
>> > via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
>> > thanks
>> > to many who responded.
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Garry
>> >
>> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
>> > worked.
>> > I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
>> > into
>> > that..?<g>
>>
>> Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
>> newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
>>

>> .

0
GS
2/4/2010 9:02:36 PM
| Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.

It does, it's a mess.

| I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
written with Delphi.

Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> GS wrote:
>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>
> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
> subscribe to this group.

slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

--
Tom Shelton
0
>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>
> It does, it's a mess.
>
>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
> written with Delphi.
>
> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
> looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews
after reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use
OE's news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

0
GS
2/4/2010 11:42:32 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> GS wrote:
>>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>>
>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>> subscribe to this group.
>>

> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

Evangelist!  ;-P

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:38:12 AM
GS wrote:
> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>
>> It does, it's a mess.
>>
>>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
>> written with Delphi.
>>
>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>
> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to
change.  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any*
real newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.
Count on it.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:39:47 AM
Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
> GS wrote:
>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>>
>>> It does, it's a mess.

>>> written with Delphi.
>>>
>>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>>
>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
>> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>
> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
> But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real newsreader
> just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on it.  :-)

I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when
the author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to
elements in the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an
update to the webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way
better than the web interface so you can imagine how impressed I am
with this app!

0
GS
2/5/2010 1:54:54 AM
GS wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>> GS wrote:
>>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :

>>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's
>>> news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>>
>> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
>>  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real
>> newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on
>> it.  :-)
>
> I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when the
> author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to elements in
> the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an update to the
> webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way better than the web
> interface so you can imagine how impressed I am with this app!

I was frustrated as I could be at the so called "help" initially.
Almost to the point of giving up on it.  Ultimately, it all came
together.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 2:59:20 AM
What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

Garry

0
GS
2/5/2010 8:19:00 AM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>>
>>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>>> subscribe to this group.
>>>

>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>
> Evangelist!  ;-P

How can you argue with this:

http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

:)

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Evangelist!  ;-P
> >

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 4:12:30 PM
On 2010-02-05, Schmidt <sss@online.de> wrote:

> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> > Evangelist!  ;-P
>> >

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png

LOL...  classic!

--
Tom Shelton
0
> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>
> Thanks so much!
> Garry

You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
or not.

0
Nobody
2/5/2010 6:41:11 PM
Nobody expressed precisely :
>> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
>> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>> Garry
>
> You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
> or not.

Thanks! Can you elaborate...?

0
GS
2/5/2010 6:52:52 PM
GS wrote:
> What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

I know a lot of folks who like it.  I never acquired the taste, myself.
 But it's a Coke versus Pepsi thing at that level.  (I loved pissing
off the Pepsi Challenge girls 30 years ago, by always picking Coke!
But I digress. <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:54:24 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>>
>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
>  :)

LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:55:35 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> <g>

Show-off! <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:56:12 PM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>
>>  :)
>
> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
both linux and windows.

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Schmidt wrote:
> > "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> How can you argue with this:
> >>
> >> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
> >
> > Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> > www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> > <g>
>
> Show-off! <bg>

:-)

You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 8:12:44 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb...
>> Schmidt wrote:
>>> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb...

>>> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
>>> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
>>> <g>
>>
>> Show-off! <bg>
>
>  :-)
>
> You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
> had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
> beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
> <g>

Is it bragging to say, "I can't even begin to recall how often I've
googled raw NNTP commands!"? <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 8:52:54 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> How can you argue with this:
>>>
>>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>>
>>>  :)
>>
>> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
>> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)
>
> You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
> both linux and windows.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was written in QuickBasic.
(Okay, okay, I'll quit... <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

truncated pages in preview and when printed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a new MacBook Pro. I previously had a problem printing the grid lines on Excel spread sheets and drawn lines in Word docs. This was fixed by updating the operating systems on the computer acting as server so they match mine. Now each and every page of my word documents prints out with the bottom two inches of text missing. In addition the last two lines that do appear are nearly superimposed. When I check the margins under Format-document the margins are set appropriately but the message says &quot...

Create a file in the path of a PDA
Hi, I am working with the application of user interface where the code has to be run on the device(i.e. PDA of imate, Jasjar) using Active Sync. Now I have to create a file config.txt using the API _wfopen , with a path given as /My Device/Program Files/config.txt in the PDA. I tried doing as FILE *fp; if ( (fp = _wfopen( L"//My Device//My Program Files//Config.txt",L"w") ) == NULL ) { AfxMessageBox(_T("Couldn't Create the file !")); return FALSE; } But it is not creating the file as the path specified, it is giving Couldn't Create the ...

Excel 2003 mis-displaying a value as repeating itself
When a user enters a "1" and exits the cell, the cell displays as "111111111111111111111". The cell is defined as Number, zero decimals, with (1234) formating. Any clues to why this may be occuring, or is there a solution ? Note: The spreadsheet was originally creating in Excel 2000. Hi maybe check 'Tools - autocorrection' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany J.D. Robbie wrote: > When a user enters a "1" and exits the cell, the cell > displays as "111111111111111111111". > The cell is defined as Number, zero decimals, wit...

X axis months are truncated??
I have four Excel charts. The first one has the months from Jan through Dec in three letter format. The 2nd through 4th appear as Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Ma, Jun, Jul, Au, Se, Oct, No, Dec. Why are these four months truncated to two letters each while the other eight are in the desired three letter format. The names of the months for the four charts all come from the same column on the Chart Data table. Paul, Check to make sure that all of your charts and chart plot areas are uniformly sized and that the X-axis fonts and font sizes are exactly the same. At times I've experienced tha...

Outlook Today Folder Display
This problem started when I attempted to add folders to the Outlook Today display. Folders that I did not check became checked, and each time I tried to fix this another copy of Outlook Today ended up displayed on the page. I now have 7 Outlook Today entries and one Inbox plus two additional folders I selected. Any way to fix this? I'm running Windows XP with Outlook XP. This was a fresh installation on a new PC (all preloaded). Michael ...

Select Names displays ; or , for address
When I open the select names dialog box and add a name, it simply puts a ; or a , in where the address should be and when I go into the message after I'm done nothing shows either. Thanks, Chon Sounds to me like you imported these Contacts. Provide all the details on how you created them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Chon Nguyen" <nospam@nothanks.org> wrote in message news:#6QbvJhzDHA.4064@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When I open the select names dialog box and add a name, it simply puts a ; > or a , in where the address should be and when I go into the message a...

Why is my row truncated in a pivot table?
my source of the pivot table has a data field with 81 words, yet only 44 words show up in the results table. How can I get the entire 81 words in the pivot table? A pivot table cell is limited to 255 characters. There's no setting you can change to increase this limit. mcmunnd1 wrote: > my source of the pivot table has a data field with 81 words, yet only 44 > words show up in the results table. How can I get the entire 81 words in the > pivot table? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How to view frame by frame in full screen mode?
I seem to be able to do it out of full screen, but in full screen those options are greyed out, and the keyboard shortcuts don't work either. ...

How do I display a dialog whilst in OnInitDialog ?
I have a program which pastes a bit of information (read from a config file) into a listbox whilst in the OnInitDialog part of the program. The program then 'acts' on the data and part of it will change depending on those actions (network activity, so takes a few seconds). What I want the program to do is display the original data, then change the display to the new data, but at the moment it won't display the program until it's finished with the OnInitDialog part of the program, so you don't get to see the original data. All you see is nothing for a few seconds, th...

How to get Microsoft Outlook to cut and paste full email addresses
What is the switch that tells Microsoft Outlook to allow cut and pasting of email addresses? There MUST be a better way! When I copy and paste an email recipient from a name in outlook from list, I get the person's name and not their email address. Aaaaooooouuurrrrrrggggghhhh! The only way I know today to copy and paste the full email is to go to "view" "options" and then copy and paste from the "message options" header section. Geeeeeeeazus. Can Microsoft Outlook be this stuuuuuuuupid? There MUST be a better way to copy and paste Microsoft Outlook email ...

Outlook 2003
Hello, I migrate from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2003. I have problems with my rules: I have a first set of rules to MOVE messages to specific folders according to e-mail addresses (To: ...) AND a second set of rules to filter spam (MOVE messages to Deleted Items) This set of rules worked perfectly with OE6 (more than 90% of spam filtered). With Outlook 2003, COPIES of messages filtered remain in Inbox and specific folders of first set of rules. So I have now 3 copies of 200 junk mails per day, now... It is a real problem Why does Outlook make COPIES of the messages when I ask to MOVE t...

In MDI, how to display a restored view on a maxmized view?
In MDI, if a view is maxmized, all other views are hide. But I want to display a restored view on the top of the maxmized view, how can I do that? I am not sure if thats possible. You can try calling activateframe on the mdichild window that contains the view. I suspect that the new frame will come in as maximized as well. You can try by resizing the view to cover entire area of mainframe and then activating second frame. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "flyingxu" <flyingxu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20D25211-AC04-4E9A-A034-34F41A60B0F6...

mfc ext dll from path
(vc++6 sp5) Is there any way to speciafy a certain path for the dll? I dont load it with LoadLibraray() and it is assumed to be in the same directory the application resists or in some common dll-hells, but i want it to be in a subdir of my app. where do i specify the path? thx, .rhavin;) On Aug 27, 11:28 am, ".rhavin grobert" <cl...@yahoo.de> wrote: > (vc++6 sp5) > > Is there any way to speciafy a certain path for the dll? > I dont load it with LoadLibraray() and it is assumed to be in the same > directory the application resists or in some common dll-hell...

Excel 2003
Hi! I often work with spreadsheets of 4-10 columns and as many as 400 rows. Lately (maybe since I loaded 2003, I can't remember) whenever I try t copy or cut large numbers of cells I get the message: "The picture is too large and will be truncated." I used to cut and copy large numbers of cells in Excel for XP all th time...can anyone help? thanks! Greg -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm the same guy who posted the question... ...but here's the thing I've since figured out: Even though I get that message, Excel still copies all my data to...

Images not displaying on page
Hi, Apologies if this is a frequently asked question... PC has Publisher 2003 + SP1 (11.6255.6408) on WinXPPro + SP2, 4Gb RAM Problem I'm having is when I try to open a Publisher document which was not created on the above PC i.e. sent to me from someone else, or created by me on my previous PC. Specifically, any images do not display on the page, or in Print Preview. However, they do appear in the Graphics Manager if I click the Show Thumbnail checkbox, and they do print correctly. If I click View, Pictures on the menubar, the dialog is set to Detailed Display. If I change this, ...

Hyperlink points correctly, doesn't display right
I have a search routine in my workbook that finds the name of a document from an active cell on another worksheet, then inserts a hyperlink to that document. The hyperlink often does not change to reflect a new document - yet, when moused over or clicked, it's pointing to the correct document. I've tried F9 on the hyperlink cell, but it still doesn't change. Any suggestions? Ed Sorry - forgot my code. The data, including the doc name, is on Sheet1. The searc function is activated by a button on sheet "Get Doc". Sub FindTIR() Dim strLocation As String Dim ...

How do i search a spreadsheet without a full word? #2
Niice... not one view let alone a repl -- Devit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Devitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26839 Hi! The day is only just beginning for some of us.. Have you tried putting Dav in your Find? Check the search options - make sure match entire cell contents is no checked and choose look in formulas. Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http...

Template Path in Windows 7
I have Office 2007 and Windows 7. In earlier versions, if I wanted to add my own template, I would save it to c:\documents and settings\...etc., etc...you know the drill. However, the "documents and settings" folder doesn't exits in Windows 7, and if I do a search for *.pot or *.potx, I get no results. Where should I save these new templates I download from a third party? Thanks! Try:- c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates If my comment has helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "rhodesmk@swbell.net" wrote: > I have Offic...

Database path from DSN (MSDE) (2nd. attempt)
I'm trying to get the full path of my .mdf database from a DSN on a shared WinXP drive (running MSDE). I've tried the following: (using MFC6, SP6) SQLGetInfo(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_DATABASE_NAME, &sMyDatabase, lSize, &bytesreturned); SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_CURRENT_QUALIFIER, &sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned); SQLGetConnectAttr(g_db.m_hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CURRENT_CATALOG, &sMyDatabase, lSize, &lLengthReturned); All the functions return the name of the database but not the path. The path is not in the registry so I can't use those functions either. An...

Pivot Table Form
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table Form in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David Hi David, can't you use the calculated value NZ([myvalue],0) instead of the value itself? -- Kind regards Noëlla "David Saywell" wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I have a Piv...

How to lookup and display info?
Am sure this is really easy but the logic of it is escaping me. I'm trying to the following to make an interactive table of contents whith main chapter headings, which when you click on one displays a set of hyperlinks to relevant worksheets. For instance: Worksheet 1, column A contains 10 text entries A1-A10 Each of the text entries in Worksheet 1 have 1-5 related text entries which are displayed in Worksheet 2 column B. What I would like to do, is that when in Worksheet 1, you click on any of the A1-A10 entries, the "related" entries (displayed in Worksheet 2 column B) ...

Frogs in the pond
Hi, I have this little charting problem. I'm sure someone will have the solution. It's difficcult to explain so I 've posted a picture here www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif You may have to zoom on your browser to see it perfectly. I have some data in a table and it's figures about frogs in a a pond and about how many arrive in each batch per quarter and how long they survive. The length of survival is measured in Quarters, too. So each quarter there's a batch of new frogs that arrive - usually 2000 in a a batch. And I measure the survival rate of each batch. Now, if I al...

Displaying cell references next to embedded cells in Word 2000
Hello Group. I've embedded some excel cells into my report written in Word 2000. Is there a way I can display the cell references next to the embedded object in the printout. For example if cells B10:C15 are the embedded cells, I want those who read the printed document to see exactly which rows and which columns the numbers belong to. Something like this: B C 10 Jan 10% 11 Feb 15% 12 Mar 34% 13 Apr 14% 14 May 10% 15 Jun 12% So when I say somthing like "The formula used here is C10/SUM(C10:C15)" my readers would be able to refer to the ...

LED light box display--Only 11 mm LED slim light box in China! 05-24-07
Edlite is dedicate to develop comprehensive technology on advertising light-box including LED; CCFL; EEFL and FLUORESCENT series.we already sell numerous light boxes around the world for tradeshow booth or display purpose. More detail.please enter into www.edlite.hk,or send mail to jenny@edlite.hk,or add MSN:madamenihao@hotmail,then we would reply to you at the first time. ...

Excel 2003 as default instead of Excel 2007
Hi, Can someone let me know how to make Excel 2003 as my default application instead of Excel 2007? Also, I want to know if there is an update that fixes the multiplication bug in Excel 2007, 850 X 77.1. Thanks #1. I'd try reregistering xl2003: Close excel (all versions) windows start button|Run type your path to excel2003: "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /unregserver and hit enter then "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /regserver and hit enter. The last version installed or registered should be the default program. #2. Not yet. Murthy wrote: > > H...