How do I display full paths instead of the truncated (tilde) forma

I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

i.e.:
force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
to display as
"C:\Program Files\My Application\"

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Garry

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
full
| text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
|
| i.e.:
| force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
| to display as
| "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

This is kind of old school

Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String

Dim sLongName   As String
Dim sTemp       As String
Dim iSlashPos   As Long

sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
sShortName = sShortName & "\"

iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")

While iSlashPos
    sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
vbSystem + vbDirectory)
    If sTemp = vbNullString Then
        GetLongFilename = vbNullString
        Exit Function
    End If
    sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
    iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
Wend

GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName

End Function

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

If you don't need to support Win9x
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364980(VS.85).aspx

0
Bob
2/2/2010 11:09:48 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

What control are you using?

0
Nobody
2/2/2010 11:14:15 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

Start here:
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1133

LFS

0
Larry
2/2/2010 11:18:58 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> the tilde character.

You can use the GetLongPathname function:

Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
  Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
  ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long

Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
Dim s1 As String, p As Long
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
s1 = Space$(p)
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
If p <> 0 Then
  LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
End If
End Function

Mike

0
Mike
2/2/2010 11:58:44 PM

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> Thanks in advance!

You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
a different function.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
2/3/2010 12:38:09 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks! Here's the code:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"MikeD" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> > full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>

> You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
> code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
> long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
> so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
> function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
> a different function.
>
> --
> Mike
>

> .

Thanks!

I'm using the following code, not a control:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"Nobody" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> >full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> What control are you using?
>

> .

Hi Kevin,
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

BTW I never went to that school. I'm trying to learn this stuff any which
way I can...
Help is always appreciated!

regards,
Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

Thanks Mike! I'll give this a try!

What I'm using is:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

It returns full text on my dev machine (rather short length path) but I get
truncated versions on test machines.

regards,
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

GS explained :
> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>
> Label1.Caption = App.Path

You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 3:00:54 AM
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> GS explained :
>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>
>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
recollection.

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

0
Jim
2/3/2010 3:10:53 AM
Works great. Thanks so much!
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

Works great. Thanks so much!

Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

My thanks to all! Nice to get a variety of solutions; -great for learning
this stuff.

Kind regards,
Garry
Hi Larry,
Thanks! Works great.

I saw this already and passed it over because 'Filename' was in it. After
reviewing the other posts I'm now better informed about how it works.

regards,
Garry
Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.

I'm using VB6 SP6
Garry

"Karl E. Peterson" wrote:

> GS explained :
> > I'm using the following code, not a control:
> >
> > Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> --
> ..NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org
>

> .

Jim Mack presented the following explanation :
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> GS explained :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
> using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
> recollection.

Oh, like, ~wow~ man...  I remember something like that, too...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:19:58 PM
GS submitted this idea :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
> My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
> What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
> dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.
>
> I'm using VB6 SP6

That is /really/ weird.  How are the apps being started?  (It's only
happening in the compiled apps?)  Could it be as simple as Jim
suggests?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:21:23 PM
It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev machine.
It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the file
via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue thanks
to many who responded.

Kind regards,
Garry

BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever worked.
I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look into
that..?<g>
> It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
> machine.
> It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
> file
> via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
> thanks
> to many who responded.
>
> Kind regards,
> Garry
>
> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
> worked.
> I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
> into
> that..?<g>

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.

0
Bob
2/4/2010 12:51:39 AM
Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>
--

"Bob Butler" wrote:

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>

Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
is spend some time looking for it.

Mike

0
Mike
2/4/2010 9:05:41 AM
GS wrote:
> Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>

In this group, perhaps. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:37:00 PM
Mike Williams wrote:
> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
>> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
>> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not,

It's a very bad joke indeed, but not by the OP.  You can thank
Microsoft for this one.

> and I don't know how
> most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters who
> cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do is
> spend some time looking for it.

Agreed.  It again shows that MSFT has *no clue* about community.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:38:28 PM
Hi Mike,

It was not intended as a joke, but more to draw attention to the fact that
the notification service wasn't working. I never rely on it anymore and so I
can only look for replies when I get a chance. I dutifully check often when
I'm the OP, and as often as I can when I'm replying to other OPs.

So the comment was meant more as an apology to you all for not replying in a
more timely fashion.

Kind regards,
Garry
--

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> > ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> > someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
> how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
> who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
> is spend some time looking for it.
>
> Mike
>

> .

How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

GS wrote:
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
subscribe to this group.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 8:01:12 PM
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

news.microsoft.com carries it; various ISPs do as well

0
Bob
2/4/2010 8:03:33 PM
Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
Wow! -nice way to work this...

Thanks so much!
Garry
--

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>

> "Bob Butler" wrote:
>

>> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
>> > machine.
>> > It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
>> > file
>> > via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
>> > thanks
>> > to many who responded.
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Garry
>> >
>> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
>> > worked.
>> > I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
>> > into
>> > that..?<g>
>>
>> Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
>> newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
>>

>> .

0
GS
2/4/2010 9:02:36 PM
| Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.

It does, it's a mess.

| I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
written with Delphi.

Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> GS wrote:
>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>
> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
> subscribe to this group.

slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

--
Tom Shelton
0
>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>
> It does, it's a mess.
>
>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
> written with Delphi.
>
> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
> looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews
after reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use
OE's news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

0
GS
2/4/2010 11:42:32 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> GS wrote:
>>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>>
>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>> subscribe to this group.
>>

> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

Evangelist!  ;-P

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:38:12 AM
GS wrote:
> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>
>> It does, it's a mess.
>>
>>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
>> written with Delphi.
>>
>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>
> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to
change.  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any*
real newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.
Count on it.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:39:47 AM
Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
> GS wrote:
>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>>
>>> It does, it's a mess.

>>> written with Delphi.
>>>
>>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>>
>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
>> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>
> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
> But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real newsreader
> just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on it.  :-)

I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when
the author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to
elements in the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an
update to the webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way
better than the web interface so you can imagine how impressed I am
with this app!

0
GS
2/5/2010 1:54:54 AM
GS wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>> GS wrote:
>>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :

>>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's
>>> news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>>
>> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
>>  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real
>> newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on
>> it.  :-)
>
> I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when the
> author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to elements in
> the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an update to the
> webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way better than the web
> interface so you can imagine how impressed I am with this app!

I was frustrated as I could be at the so called "help" initially.
Almost to the point of giving up on it.  Ultimately, it all came
together.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 2:59:20 AM
What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

Garry

0
GS
2/5/2010 8:19:00 AM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>>
>>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>>> subscribe to this group.
>>>

>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>
> Evangelist!  ;-P

How can you argue with this:

http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

:)

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Evangelist!  ;-P
> >

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 4:12:30 PM
On 2010-02-05, Schmidt <sss@online.de> wrote:

> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> > Evangelist!  ;-P
>> >

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png

LOL...  classic!

--
Tom Shelton
0
> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>
> Thanks so much!
> Garry

You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
or not.

0
Nobody
2/5/2010 6:41:11 PM
Nobody expressed precisely :
>> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
>> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>> Garry
>
> You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
> or not.

Thanks! Can you elaborate...?

0
GS
2/5/2010 6:52:52 PM
GS wrote:
> What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

I know a lot of folks who like it.  I never acquired the taste, myself.
 But it's a Coke versus Pepsi thing at that level.  (I loved pissing
off the Pepsi Challenge girls 30 years ago, by always picking Coke!
But I digress. <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:54:24 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>>
>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
>  :)

LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:55:35 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> <g>

Show-off! <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:56:12 PM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>
>>  :)
>
> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
both linux and windows.

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Schmidt wrote:
> > "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> How can you argue with this:
> >>
> >> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
> >
> > Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> > www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> > <g>
>
> Show-off! <bg>

:-)

You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 8:12:44 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb...
>> Schmidt wrote:
>>> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb...

>>> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
>>> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
>>> <g>
>>
>> Show-off! <bg>
>
>  :-)
>
> You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
> had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
> beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
> <g>

Is it bragging to say, "I can't even begin to recall how often I've
googled raw NNTP commands!"? <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 8:52:54 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> How can you argue with this:
>>>
>>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>>
>>>  :)
>>
>> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
>> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)
>
> You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
> both linux and windows.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was written in QuickBasic.
(Okay, okay, I'll quit... <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

MSCRM 4.0User Summary Report not displayed Properly in IE 8
User Summary report in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 is not displayed properly in IE 8 . It is getting expanded in IE 8, hence the table columns are lost. It is getting displayed perfectly in rest all versions. Any help in this regard is appreciated. ...

Quick way to change display name from first last to last, first
Is there a quick way to change the display name from first last to last, first other than manually or manually editing a .csv export file? Many thanks, Brian That is the only (Microsoft) way in Exchange 5.5 You can modify settings in the admin to do this for new users. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Brian Bri...

why is my queues full with domains mail i dont reconize
i have exchange 2003 and the queues is full with other domains mails. no matter what i do it still fills up. so when i send my mail out it seems to get stuck and not go out util i reboot the exchage server. this is getting crazy. ive been looing into my relay setting follow all the advice. So how do i clear out these domain now that i have locked down the relay stuff Sounds like you are getting Reverse NDR spammed. You can apply a recipient filter to your SMTP virtual server that will drop all email to non-existent recipients instead of sending an NDR. In the system manager, expand ...

getting the path out of a hyperlink
I need to extract the path from a hyperlink in a cell. Any ideas how to do this? Hi see the following site for some code: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm (in the middle of this page) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany James wrote: > I need to extract the path from a hyperlink in a cell. Any ideas how > to do this? ...

display ratios as written in web query
I am using a web query to display data about screen contrasts, all written with the formatting of "700:1" or "3000:1" It displays corectly in the edit web query window, but everything I try to make it display as delivered fails. I tried text, custom formats with @ etc, but it seems to insist on doing the calculation before turning it back to text, or as a ratio it does the division. (The text formatting for this works OK if I type directly into the spread sheet) Is there a way to make a web query display as written? Any help appreciated. Keith ...

change display name
Hi all, Exchange 2003 /windows 2003 envir. Currently, we have users show as First name last name in our GAL. If we want to show users as Last name, First name, where should I change for all lists in the GAL? Thank you. On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:48:35 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Exchange 2003 /windows 2003 envir. > >Currently, we have users show as First name last name in our GAL. If we >want to show users as Last name, First name, where should I change for all >lists in the GAL? To change the existing AD ob...

Displaying images in CListCtrl
Hi, I have a Report-style CListCtrl and I need to display an image in the second column of the list control. Calling SetItem() by specifying the image index from the ListCtrl's imagelist member and the subitem index corresponding to the second column does not work. I can only get the image to display in the first column, and I dont want the image there. Would appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks Gautham You're going to have to derive you're own class from CListCtrl and draw it yourself. Here are a couple of links to articles where they use bitmaps in CListCtrls that ma...

Display a PDF in a Windows Form.
I've got a kiosk program that displays information that runs unattended. I need to have the ability to put PDF up on the screen. I have other stuff on the screen that needs to still be displayed. Adobe opens as a new window with menus and whatnot so this is not acceptable. Does anybody know of a way to display a PDF in a winform? I don't need any of the menus or stuff like that - just display the pdf. It would also be nice if I could programmatically control what page it's displaying so I could display multiple pages in succession. TIA - Jeff. "Mr. ...

OWA doesnt display inbox items when clicked on.
I work for a private school, so money isn't flowing endlessly for out IT department. Having said that, we are still using exchange 5.5 (quite comfotably and securely actually). The version of OWA with 5.5 works great for about 95% of my faculty members. However, for a few, they can login to OWA fine and see thier inbox items fine, but when they click on those items to read them, a box appears on screen for a split second, then disappears. It is almost as if their built in pop-up blocker is running, but even disabling that doesnt fix this problem. Any suggestions? thanks in advance jazz ...

Display a count of unique records in a query in Access 2007
Hi, I'm not sure if I should be in this group, or Reports, but I'll start here. I have a user who would like to do a count of unique records and display the information in a query, or a report. Here are the basics: She has a list of donors, some of the donors donate more than once to the same cause. What she would like is a list of the number of donors, per cause. But, if the donor ID repeats for the same cause, she does not want that ID counted again. Example: We can get a query to return a count of the records per cause. It is returning a value of "7" for a cause,...

Pivot tables- 0 counts don't display
How can I get a 0 counts to display in the pivot chart and subsequent graphs. Thanks to Debra for answering my last question, it was a big help! You could enter a dummy record for each combination in the table, and leave the door field blank. For example: door floor core doortype 1 1 1 2 1 1 3 1 1 These records will be displayed in the column and row area, but won't be counted in the data area, where 'Count of Door' is used. Jim wrote: > How can I get a 0 counts to display in the pivot chart > and subs...

My excel no longer displays the modification date when I hover on
Previously when I hovered my curser over a file when it is in the list mode, it would show the date it was last modified, now it just shows the type of file and the file size. Cannot be sure but it may have disapeared when I did the Office Update. How can I get it back ...

domain upgrade path... need comments please
current config: NT server domain 100+ users. 1 PDC, 1 BDC, 1 server running exchange 5.5 we need to upgrade this to server 2003 AD domain w/ exchange 2003 without missing a beat. the final config will have 2 active directory DC's, and one member server running exchange. any thoughts on this? if possible we like to NOT run OS installs as upgrades. we are buying new servers and would like to more or less configure the new domain and exchange installation off line, away from the current network. with this method, is there a simple way to migrate over all user accounts and exchange mailbox...

Icon Sets
I would like to display in cell A2 a red diamond if the value in U2="Storage"; a Green Circle if the value in U2="Central Files" "Office" or Floor"; and a yellow triangle if the value in U2="Missing". I saw the response to "ICON Arrows UP or DOWN", but I couldn't understand where the different parts were supposed to go. Nolene, you can put an IF statement in column A that reflects the information in column U: =IF(U2="Storage", 1,IF(or(U2="Central File",U2="Office",U2="Floor"),2,...

How do I correct formula display errors?
I use Word 2003, and recently formulas created by my professor do not display properly on my laptop. For instance, the ampersand symbol seems to appear where some superscripting or ' characters should be. What is the problem and solution? Hello Brian brian wrote: > I use Word 2003, and recently formulas created by my professor do not display > properly on my laptop. For instance, the ampersand symbol seems to appear > where some superscripting or ' characters should be. What is the problem and > solution? what version of Word has your professor been...

the difference bewteen Student Version and Full version
Other than the price, whats the diff. between these 2 versions? is student version could open a wrod file normally, with all features in word 2004 version? In article <1161537708.952063.91530@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "jay" <jwhkan@gmail.com> wrote: > Other than the price, > whats the diff. between these 2 versions? > is student version could open a wrod file normally, with all features > in word 2004 version? Hi Jay! Basically, the price, yes. But also student versions are typically not eligible for upgrades. That means if you buy Office 2004 no...

URLs dragged into tasks shows up as Icons, can I have links instead?
I often need to put webaddresses in the tekst in tasks. I would like to drag them from the addressbar in IE into the textwindow of a task like I do in other programs like Word (where I get the address as a clickable link) or FrontPage (where I get the Title as a clickable link). However, in Outlook I get just the IE-page icon and the first part of the URL. Mostly useless. Is there a way to change this to the Word or preferably the Forntpage way of showing the link? ...

Getting path and Hwnd of application
1. How can I get the path of the application? I used FILE* fp = fopen("log.txt", "wt"); to create a log file. But the file is located in the folder in which I opened a file using CFileDialog. I would like the log to be in the same folder as the app. I think a better way to do is to reset the folder setting (is there such a thing?) after CFileDialog so that ".\" is the folder of the application. 2. I'm writing a dll that is called by some third party app, how could I get the app's HWND? I'm not using MFC. Thanks. Leesei wrote: > 1. How can I get...

Wpf
I have a couple instances where I am using a set of data to define a window for testing purposes but I can't seem to find any place that really explains it. <Path Fill="#80D0E0FF" Stroke="Red" StrokeThickness="3" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center" Data="M79,3L65,82 17,91 50,138 96,157 104,192 175,154 190,167 218,78 156,76 157,9 111,39z"/> In the Data attribute, I am trying to figure out what that means with the M's, Ls and z's. I have seen this shown ...

Money 2004: Displaying an associated cash account in the Account List
My brokerage firm provides me with an investment account that also acts as a chequing account. As a result, I track the cash balance of the account in its associated cash account. It appears that in order to get a summary of the balance, I must switch to either the portfolio or transaction view. Is it possible to view a summary of this associated cash account in the main account list? I would like to do so without creating a new cash account and transfering all the transactions to it. Thanks! Steve Guidi In microsoft.public.money, Steve Guidi wrote: >My brokerage firm provides me wi...

Displaying Yes or No rather than 0 or 1
I have a query that includes a Yes/No field. When it displays the results in a list box, I want it to display Yes or No, rather that 0 or 1. I'm sure this must be easy, but... You can format the field of use an IIF statement like this -- My_Field: IIF([SomeField] = -1, "Yes", "No") -- Build a little, test a little. "Jerry Anderson" wrote: > I have a query that includes a Yes/No field. When it displays the results in > a list box, I want it to display Yes or No, rather that 0 or 1. I'm sure this > must be easy, but... ...

Displaying the text for the 'Save as Complete' button
Hello, Is there a way to display this button text on the toolbar like the SAVE and Close button when logging completed activities? Can this be done in the isv.config file? Thanks, Maria First, open the URL of the activity in IE, such as: http://yourcrmurl/activities/phone/edit.aspx Go to View, Source. Find the button you're looking for within the <SPAN> tags. On my CRM page, I used: <SPAN tabindex="0" class="menu" style="padding:3px 3px 0px 3px" pl="3" pr="3" title="Save as Completed" action="SaveAsCompleted()...

Table of Contents not displaying
I have been succssfully using the Table of Contents feature forever. Suddenly, it displays only codes on the screen, yet will properly print and will display properly in "Full Screen Reading" mode. Creating a PDF also displays the ToC correctly. This occurs only on my computer and will display properly on other computers. How do I fix this? Press Alt+F9 to toggle the display from field codes to field results. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "tomMedClinic" <tomMedClinic@discussion...

Would like to have local graphic files displayed by Windows Picture Viewer instead of Internet Explorer
My spreadsheet contains a bunch of the so-called hyperlinks which, when clicked, start an external program that takes care of the actual displaying of the image file. Is there any way to select the external program (file viewer)? All the graphics files (PNG format) reside in my hard disk, not on the Internet. This case is handled very nicely by Open Office, with the images being handled by the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer which loads lightning fast. Excel, on the other hand, prefers to use Internet Explorer, which is a drag. Can I tell Excel NOT to execute IE for some hyperlinks? -Ramo...

CustomProperty truncated in Excel 2003
Hi, We have some new software that generates an Excel file with several Custom Properties set. Those, in turn, are linked to certain cells. Excel 2003 is cutting off the linked text after about 125 characters. No other version of Excel seems to do this. We've also tested it on 2000, 2002, and 2007, which all work as expected. All of the available updates for 2003 have been installed. Does anybody know of a solution? I was able to find a few other references to the issue by searching the web and newsgroups, but I couldn't find a fix. This seems like a pretty severe problem...I can'...