How do I display full paths instead of the truncated (tilde) forma

I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

i.e.:
force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
to display as
"C:\Program Files\My Application\"

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Garry

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
full
| text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
|
| i.e.:
| force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
| to display as
| "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

This is kind of old school

Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String

Dim sLongName   As String
Dim sTemp       As String
Dim iSlashPos   As Long

sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
sShortName = sShortName & "\"

iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")

While iSlashPos
    sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
vbSystem + vbDirectory)
    If sTemp = vbNullString Then
        GetLongFilename = vbNullString
        Exit Function
    End If
    sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
    iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
Wend

GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName

End Function

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

If you don't need to support Win9x
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364980(VS.85).aspx

0
Bob
2/2/2010 11:09:48 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
>full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"

What control are you using?

0
Nobody
2/2/2010 11:14:15 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.

Start here:
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1133

LFS

0
Larry
2/2/2010 11:18:58 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> the tilde character.

You can use the GetLongPathname function:

Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
  Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
  ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long

Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
Dim s1 As String, p As Long
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
s1 = Space$(p)
p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
If p <> 0 Then
  LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
End If
End Function

Mike

0
Mike
2/2/2010 11:58:44 PM

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
>
> i.e.:
> force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> to display as
> "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> Thanks in advance!

You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
a different function.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
2/3/2010 12:38:09 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks! Here's the code:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"MikeD" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> > full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>

> You're obviously getting short path names.  The question is why.  Post your
> code that is getting this path.  Or, use Kevin's example code to obtain the
> long names. My point is that it's rare anymore that you'd get the short name
> so I'd look into why. For example, if you're getting this from an API
> function call, you might be using a old function and should instead be using
> a different function.
>
> --
> Mike
>

> .

Thanks!

I'm using the following code, not a control:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

regards,
Garry

"Nobody" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> >full
> > text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> >
> > i.e.:
> > force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> > to display as
> > "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
>
> What control are you using?
>

> .

Hi Kevin,
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

BTW I never went to that school. I'm trying to learn this stuff any which
way I can...
Help is always appreciated!

regards,
Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

Thanks Mike! I'll give this a try!

What I'm using is:

Label1.Caption = App.Path

It returns full text on my dev machine (rather short length path) but I get
truncated versions on test machines.

regards,
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

GS explained :
> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>
> Label1.Caption = App.Path

You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 3:00:54 AM
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> GS explained :
>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>
>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?

I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
recollection.

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

0
Jim
2/3/2010 3:10:53 AM
Works great. Thanks so much!
Garry

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string
> > to display full text instead of the truncated version that uses
> > the tilde character.
>
> You can use the GetLongPathname function:
>
> Private Declare Function GetLongPathName Lib "kernel32.dll" _
>   Alias "GetLongPathNameA" (ByVal lpszShortPath As String, _
>   ByVal lpszLongPath As String, ByVal cchBuffer As Long) As Long
>
> Private Function LongPath(ShortPath As String) As String
> Dim s1 As String, p As Long
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> s1 = Space$(p)
> p = GetLongPathName(ShortPath, s1, p)
> If p <> 0 Then
>   LongPath = Left$(s1, p)
> End If
> End Function
>
> Mike
>

> .

Works great. Thanks so much!

Garry

"C. Kevin Provance" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to know if there's a way to force a path string to display
> full
> | text instead of the truncated version that uses the tilde character.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | force "C:\Progr~1\My Appli~1\"
> | to display as
> | "C:\Program Files\My Application\"
> |

> This is kind of old school
>
> Public Function GetLongFilename(ByVal sShortName As String) As String
>
> Dim sLongName   As String
> Dim sTemp       As String
> Dim iSlashPos   As Long
>
> sShortName = Replace(sShortName, """", vbNullString, 1)
> sShortName = sShortName & "\"
>
> iSlashPos = InStr(4, sShortName, "\")
>
> While iSlashPos
>     sTemp = Dir(Left$(sShortName, iSlashPos - 1), vbNormal + vbHidden +
> vbSystem + vbDirectory)
>     If sTemp = vbNullString Then
>         GetLongFilename = vbNullString
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     sLongName = sLongName & "\" & sTemp
>     iSlashPos = InStr(iSlashPos + 1, sShortName, "\")
> Wend
>
> GetLongFilename = Left$(sShortName, 2) & sLongName
>
> End Function
>

> .

My thanks to all! Nice to get a variety of solutions; -great for learning
this stuff.

Kind regards,
Garry
Hi Larry,
Thanks! Works great.

I saw this already and passed it over because 'Filename' was in it. After
reviewing the other posts I'm now better informed about how it works.

regards,
Garry
Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.

I'm using VB6 SP6
Garry

"Karl E. Peterson" wrote:

> GS explained :
> > I'm using the following code, not a control:
> >
> > Label1.Caption = App.Path
>
> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> --
> ..NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org
>

> .

Jim Mack presented the following explanation :
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> GS explained :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> I have a vague recollection that if VB is started from a shortcut
> using SFNs, that this will be one result. But it must be a pretty old
> recollection.

Oh, like, ~wow~ man...  I remember something like that, too...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:19:58 PM
GS submitted this idea :
>>> I'm using the following code, not a control:
>>>
>>> Label1.Caption = App.Path
>>
>> You gotta be kidding?  What version of VB?  What OS?
>
> Karl, I don't get it either. My dev machine (XP Pro SP3) returns full text.
> My test machines (XP Pro SP2, Win7 64bit) return the truncated version.
> What's strange is that it only occurs in the labels on my splash and about
> dialogs. It shows full text everywhere else.
>
> I'm using VB6 SP6

That is /really/ weird.  How are the apps being started?  (It's only
happening in the compiled apps?)  Could it be as simple as Jim
suggests?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/3/2010 6:21:23 PM
It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev machine.
It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the file
via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue thanks
to many who responded.

Kind regards,
Garry

BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever worked.
I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look into
that..?<g>
> It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
> machine.
> It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
> file
> via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
> thanks
> to many who responded.
>
> Kind regards,
> Garry
>
> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
> worked.
> I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
> into
> that..?<g>

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.

0
Bob
2/4/2010 12:51:39 AM
Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>
--

"Bob Butler" wrote:

Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>

Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
is spend some time looking for it.

Mike

0
Mike
2/4/2010 9:05:41 AM
GS wrote:
> Then I must be the only one still using the lame MS web-based interface!<g>

In this group, perhaps. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:37:00 PM
Mike Williams wrote:
> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
>> ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
>> someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not,

It's a very bad joke indeed, but not by the OP.  You can thank
Microsoft for this one.

> and I don't know how
> most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters who
> cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do is
> spend some time looking for it.

Agreed.  It again shows that MSFT has *no clue* about community.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 6:38:28 PM
Hi Mike,

It was not intended as a joke, but more to draw attention to the fact that
the notification service wasn't working. I never rely on it anymore and so I
can only look for replies when I get a chance. I dutifully check often when
I'm the OP, and as often as I can when I'm replying to other OPs.

So the comment was meant more as an apology to you all for not replying in a
more timely fashion.

Kind regards,
Garry
--

"Mike Williams" wrote:

> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't
> > ever worked. I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe
> > someone at MSDG can look into that..?<g>
>
> Not sure whether that really was meant as a joke or not, and I don't know
> how most people feel about this, but personally I take a dim view of posters
> who cannot even be bothered to look through the group regularly to check for
> reponses to their questions. My opinion is that if people are prepared to
> spend time preparing and posting answers then the very least the OP can do
> is spend some time looking for it.
>
> Mike
>

> .

How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

GS wrote:
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
subscribe to this group.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/4/2010 8:01:12 PM
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?

news.microsoft.com carries it; various ISPs do as well

0
Bob
2/4/2010 8:03:33 PM
Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
Wow! -nice way to work this...

Thanks so much!
Garry
--

"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>

> "Bob Butler" wrote:
>

>> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's happening with distributed files on machines other than the dev
>> > machine.
>> > It doesn't matter whether I run it from a desktop shortcut or open the
>> > file
>> > via Windows Explorer. Anyway, I got lots of ways to resolve the issue
>> > thanks
>> > to many who responded.
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Garry
>> >
>> > BTW placing a check in the Notify me of replies checkbox hasn't ever
>> > worked.
>> > I've had to check daily for any replies! Maybe someone at MSDG can look
>> > into
>> > that..?<g>
>>
>> Probably because most of the replies are from people using actual
>> newsreaders and not the lame MS web-based interface.
>>

>> .

0
GS
2/4/2010 9:02:36 PM
| Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.

It does, it's a mess.

| I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
written with Delphi.

Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> GS wrote:
>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>
> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
> subscribe to this group.

slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

--
Tom Shelton
0
>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>
> It does, it's a mess.
>
>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
> written with Delphi.
>
> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
> looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews
after reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use
OE's news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

0
GS
2/4/2010 11:42:32 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-04, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> GS wrote:
>>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>>
>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>> subscribe to this group.
>>

> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.

Evangelist!  ;-P

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:38:12 AM
GS wrote:
> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>
>> It does, it's a mess.
>>
>>> I use MesNews in Win7,  myself, which is free and very portable as it's
>> written with Delphi.
>>
>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>
> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to
change.  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any*
real newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.
Count on it.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 1:39:47 AM
Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
> GS wrote:
>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>>
>>> It does, it's a mess.

>>> written with Delphi.
>>>
>>> Concur.  I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>>
>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
>> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>
> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
> But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real newsreader
> just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on it.  :-)

I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when
the author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to
elements in the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an
update to the webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way
better than the web interface so you can imagine how impressed I am
with this app!

0
GS
2/5/2010 1:54:54 AM
GS wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>> GS wrote:
>>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :

>>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's
>>> news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>>
>> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
>>  But, almost always, it's there somewhere!  Of course, *any* real
>> newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.  Count on
>> it.  :-)
>
> I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when the
> author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to elements in
> the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an update to the
> webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way better than the web
> interface so you can imagine how impressed I am with this app!

I was frustrated as I could be at the so called "help" initially.
Almost to the point of giving up on it.  Ultimately, it all came
together.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 2:59:20 AM
What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

Garry

0
GS
2/5/2010 8:19:00 AM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>>
>>> Depends what client you're using.  Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>>> fallback standard, if it's available.  Last supported version came with
>>> XP.  Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default.  I use MesNews in Win7,
>>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going.  So,
>>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>>> subscribe to this group.
>>>

>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>
> Evangelist!  ;-P

How can you argue with this:

http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

:)

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Evangelist!  ;-P
> >

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png

Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 4:12:30 PM
On 2010-02-05, Schmidt <sss@online.de> wrote:

> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> > Evangelist!  ;-P
>> >

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png

LOL...  classic!

--
Tom Shelton
0
> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>
> Thanks so much!
> Garry

You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
or not.

0
Nobody
2/5/2010 6:41:11 PM
Nobody expressed precisely :
>> Thanks Karl and Bob. This reply is from the news group I just added to OE.
>> Wow! -nice way to work this...
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>> Garry
>
> You need to edit your email to avoid SPAM. It doesn't matter if it's correct
> or not.

Thanks! Can you elaborate...?

0
GS
2/5/2010 6:52:52 PM
GS wrote:
> What do you think of using Mozilla Thunderbird as a replacement for OE?

I know a lot of folks who like it.  I never acquired the taste, myself.
 But it's a Coke versus Pepsi thing at that level.  (I loved pissing
off the Pepsi Challenge girls 30 years ago, by always picking Coke!
But I digress. <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:54:24 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> slrn + console mode vim + powershell....  Now that's a newsreader.
>>
>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>

> How can you argue with this:
>
> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
>  :)

LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:55:35 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>
> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> <g>

Show-off! <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 6:56:12 PM
On 2010-02-05, Karl E  Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Evangelist!  ;-P
>>>

>> How can you argue with this:
>>
>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>
>>  :)
>
> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)

You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
both linux and windows.

--
Tom Shelton
0
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Schmidt wrote:
> > "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> How can you argue with this:
> >>
> >> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
> >
> > Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
> > www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
> > <g>
>
> Show-off! <bg>

:-)

You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
<g>

Olaf

0
Schmidt
2/5/2010 8:12:44 PM
Schmidt wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> schrieb...
>> Schmidt wrote:
>>> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcastXXXXXXX.net> schrieb...

>>> Hehe, real men use telnet for that...
>>> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/telnet-nntp.png
>>> <g>
>>
>> Show-off! <bg>
>
>  :-)
>
> You may have a point here, but in this case I actually
> had to *google* the correct NNTP-commands
> beforehand, to come up with that screen... SCNR
> <g>

Is it bragging to say, "I can't even begin to recall how often I've
googled raw NNTP commands!"? <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
2/5/2010 8:52:54 PM
Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> How can you argue with this:
>>>
>>> http://www.tom-shelton.net/files/slrn.png
>>>
>>>  :)
>>
>> LOL!  OMG, I haven't seen something like that in ages!  Nothing wrong
>> with a little nostalgia every now and then.  :-)
>
> You laugh - but, it's all I use for my nntp access :)  Have for years - on
> both linux and windows.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was written in QuickBasic.
(Okay, okay, I'll quit... <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

use displayed value in calculation
quick question - if I perform a simple calculation of =(a1+b1) in the m1 cell, and then need to use that result in another calculation in the n1 cell =(m1*3.14), why do I get a value of 0.00 returned? michae What values are in cells A1 and B1? A small number, showing two decimal places, could display as 0.00 michael wrote: > quick question - > > if I perform a simple calculation of =(a1+b1) in the m1 cell, and then > need to use that result in another calculation in the n1 cell > =(m1*3.14), why do I get a value of 0.00 returned? > > > > michae > -- ...

Account Segments not displaying properly Trial Balance
We have 4 workstations running GP 10.0. On 2 of the workstations, when we print/display the Trial Balance the 2 and 3rd segments of the account number do not display properly. Our account number consists of 3 segments, acctnum-branch-region We have over 80 branches and without the branch number displaying properly the Trial Balance from these 2 workstations is useless. I have tried to download and update the newest printer drivers as per Crystal Reports, updated video card drivers, use Named Printers and so far I have not had any luck. Anyone have an idea? I have pasted an example be...

Combining two accounts as one display
If I have two emails, can Live Mail be configured so that both accounts can be displayed (combined) For me this would prevent 2 deletes, 2 junks, etc.- Thanks. Otzi On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:58:21 -0700, otzi wrote: > If I have two emails, can Live Mail be configured so that both accounts can > be displayed (combined) For me this would prevent 2 deletes, 2 junks, etc.- Back in the good old days of MS Outlook Express, a number of people wanted separate account folders. Now that MS has accommodated those folk, people are demanding a global Inbox. Well, MS, in their infinite wi...

How do you get the maximum value to display in text box form
In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the numbers on the form, which could be different for various records. You could use something like this as the Control Source of the 4th text box (the underscore is for ease of reading here, and must be removed from the Control Source): =IIf([Field1]>[Field2] And [Field1]>[Field3],...

Outlook 2002 and Full Header Info.
My wife is using Outlook 2002 and recently we had a need to see the originating IP address on particular piece of email and it wasn't shown in the full header information. I use Alpine (Pine) on a Slackware system and when I look at my headers, the IP address of the originating PC is normally shown so it would appear that Outlook 2002 is not saving that information. A search of the web reveals tweaks for Outlook 2003 and 2007 with regedit to force Outlook to save all the header information that arrives with the email but I have not been able to find such information for ...

change order in which gwes loads display, touch, hid drivers
I cannot figure out how to do this, but I need GWES to load the display driver FIRST (for a splash screen implementation). Cannot find any registry values that accomplish this... any ideas? Come on guys, somebody has to know the order in which driver's are loaded by GWES.exe and how to alter it.... MS gentlemen???? I don't think that's going to help. What you really want to do is load the image in the bootloader, since, by the time GWES itself loads, you're probably 75% of the way through the boot process. As far as I can recall, GWES loads the keyboard, mouse, a...

How to get the applications folder path
what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? Can't be done in VBA: look in the AppleScript dictionary. On 4/12/09 1:09 AM, in article A72637CD-D311-45BE-AA70-7B5AE24CADC5@microsoft.com, "Mac Office Developer" <MacOfficeDeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? -- The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Wo...

Different display names
Hi Is there any way to have an account display differently in the FROM field compared to the GAL (Exchange 2003). We would like the user to appear in the GAL as "Bob User" but when an external recipient reads an email it should be displayed as "Bob of Company <bob.user@company.com>". Cheers Stuart ...

Downloading in Outlook 2003 creates a file "needs list" instead of d/l file
When I have an email with attachment, and I go to download it, it downloads it and sometimes renames it to "needs list". It is the same size as the original file, however it cant be opened by any known program. In this case, it should be a .dwg autocad file, but it has happened a couple of times. the name in the saveas box is correct, you download it, and go to that directory and what you were expecting to be there isnt, instead needs list is there. Anyone here of this before? I searched Google, and the newsgroups and the MShelp files, and found nothing. Any ideas woul...

Running a .bat file with spaces in the path.
I am trying to run a .bat file from a macro. The shell command works okay most of the time - but I cannot seem to make it work if there is a space in the path. (So, running C:\Apps\BFIle.bat works, but not C:\My Apps\BFile.bat) As the .bat file I want to run will change, I want to enter the path in a cell, and then run the macro with a button. This means simply enteing the path in double quotation marks in the Shell command will not work. BFile = Range("A2").Value i = Shell (BFile, 1) Any ideas? Odd that a space is giving you a problem. This works for me whether the path has a ...

sql server displays
I would like to know what I can use in sql server report 2008 to display several sentences or paragraphs prior to where I have a table generated. Each table in each report will display the data. To display the paragraph(s) and/or sentence(s) before the table containing data what toolbox item would I use? Should I use a matrix, rectangle, textbox, and or another table? Your question is not really clear, but I think you are trying to do would be done using a list box. Add the list box to the report, put the text boxes you want to display here, then add the table control to the ...

Recent documents don't display
Recent documents work in Word but not in Excel. Not grayed out, but simply does not show any. -- Dana Go to Office Button- Go to Excel Options-Advanced, then go down to “Display” In the first line “Show this number of Recent Documents” check the number & modify as you like. -- MFS22 "danappofc" wrote: > Recent documents work in Word but not in Excel. Not grayed out, but simply > does not show any. > -- > Dana Documents that you opened by double-clicking their icon will not show in the list. Only those that you opened from within Ex...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file...
My buddy sent me a little file, 1.25mb, and I cannot open it. He can but I cannot. I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the approiate permissions to access the item". XP Pro. Retail version. Have disk. This is my home computer. No administrator rights needed. No password needed. I'm the only one in the house. Computer in my name. No other users. What's up. Joe T. wrote: > My buddy sent me a little file, 1.25mb, and I cannot open it. He > can but I cannot. I get "Windows cannot access the specified > de...

Problem displaying string data in Edit box
Hi, I am trying to display a CString in an Editbox. In the dialog, I have set the edit box to multiline, read-only, auto vertical scroll and want return. I set the Edit box with the CString variable when a serial handler occurs. The serial handler code is obtained from http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/serial.aspx and have integrated into my main dialog. I have created a edit box variable in my dialog and create a member variable within the main dialog window. When the serial handler is called, I store the serial message into the CString variable and use SetwindowText() to display the st...

Hiding a "Userform" instead of closing it???
I have a push button on my spreadsheet which loads my Userform in the following manner: Sub Button1_Click() UserForm1.Show (vbModeless) ' Display my Userform End Sub When a user presses the "X" button on the Userform object I believe that Excel will terminate the Userform instead of simply "hiding" it by making it invisible. How can I program my Userform to turn invisible instead of terminating itself?? I would rather have the Userform turn invisible so it can maintain its current position on the screen when it is re-activated again..... I not...

Display web chart in excel
I am trying to create a financial spread sheet and link a chart from ADVFN so it shows up live in my spreadsheet. Havent got a clue how to make this work, any ideas would be appreciated. Rgds Mike Hi, Mike, I may not be understanding what you're after... (and I don't know what ADVFN is) but, have you tried inserting a hyperlink from the menu? Select which cell you want the link to show, then Insert->Hyperlink... and complete the information (link address, name, screen tip, etc) Or are you looking for something more?? jeff >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to cre...

I am trying to get access to display leading zeros and auto numbe
we use a sequential number system that begins new each month but we need it to hold 4 places 0001, 0002. etc. I would like to know if Access will do this. "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:484176CC-EFDE-48BB-BF18-C5BEFD695710@microsoft.com... > we use a sequential number system that begins new each month but we need > it > to hold 4 places 0001, 0002. etc. I would like to know if Access will do > this. Yes, but ... You can't use the built-in autonumber field to do what you want. Therefore you'll need so...

On error displayes default error code instead of the specifyed one
Hi, I have added error handling code to my combo box. Private Sub searchName_AfterUpdate() ' Find the record that matches the control. Dim rs As Object On Error GoTo ERR_Handler Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[sdutentId] = " & Str(Nz(Me![searchName], 0)) On Error GoTo 0 Exit Sub ERR_Handler: MsgBox "Please empty search box before continuing!" End Sub But it doesn't display the message in msgbox, it displayed default ms access error code. which is "The text you have entered isn't an item in the ...

I need Microsoft Map
I need the features from Microsoft Map, because it is tightly integrated with Excel, and it allows me to add my own maps in MapInfo format. I have not seen other products that allow me to use my own maps and have same features. I work with UN consultant, we create our own mapsas we work in areas of the world where we do not have other sources. I don't understand what you mean, why don't you buy office 2000 on eBay or something Or get MapPoint from which you can export maps to Excel -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

displaying data linked to shape
I would like to click on a shape and have the list of linked data in the database be displayed. (I have a lab diagram, and I want to display the contents of a drawer when the shape is clicked..... and vice versa, when I'm in the database and click on an item, I'd like to have the location of the item displayed on a lab map. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or better yet, a functional example, that does this. I've linked the shape and database, but don't seem grasp how to actually put that link into practice. Thanks in advance jillymc ...

Copy and Paste from One Document to another without changing forma
Everytime I copy and paste from one publisher 2003 document to another the formats change after I paste it to a new document. Then I need to go to the new document and change all the formats for each text box so it includes all of the text in the original tex box. It defaults to something other then what was pasted from the original document. How can I change it keep the same as what I originaly copied dltgng wrote: > Everytime I copy and paste from one publisher 2003 document to another the > formats change after I paste it to a new document. Then I need to go to the > new do...

pictures in HTML message are displayed as attachment not inline?
Whenever I send meassege in HTML format and having inline pictures these pictures are displayed as attachment and not inline on recieving end? What is the problem and how to resolve it. ...

Pivot Table Display Question
Please excuse me if this is a very simple question, however I can't seem to figure it out: I have a pivot table whose data looks like the following RELEASE # JURISDICTION REVENUE 00000 Germany 5,000 Britain 1,000 France 2,000 00001 Germany 5,100 I would like the pivot table to display like this: RELEASE # JURISDICTION REVENUE 00000 Germany 5,000 00000 Britain 1,000 00000 France 2,000 00001 Germany 5,10...

Display a Popup menu from a Popup
Last week, I posted a question and got a nice reply and answer about the ability to display a popup menu when right clicking on a menu option. I was able to apply the changes to my code and everything is working properly now. Now, when I display the main menu from the frame, and then right click on a menu option, I'm displaying a popup menu and everything is good. Here is the link to the previous discussion: http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/browse_thread/thread/d46b06498d39409c/f731ad977203af00#f731ad977203af00 However, I would like to expand this to the rest of our ...

Urgent: Transaction log is full
Hello, We are using Small Business Manager 7.5 with Sql Server 2000. When trying to post customer invoices today we received an error stating the transaction log is full and to backup log to free up log space. How can I do this? Thanks, Lael You didn't mention SQL Server, so I'll assume this is where your data is being stored... This is a somewhat delicate subject, as your database(s) need to be put on a maintenance plan to ensure this doesn't happen again. Below are some MS & non-MS links to help manage and hopefully remedy your situation. Note these, for the most par...