How can I reduce the initial ToolTip delay in VB6?

I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
(on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible. 

(I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
since it is fine in all other respects.)

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 10:15:22 AM
vb.general.discussion 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
2430 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:621k86l47j1n223k37cce9g64q287jqrgh@4ax.com...
> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>
> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
> since it is fine in all other respects.)

I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every 
EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL. 
However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control 
statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two 
buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The 
window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that 
information to get what you want.



0
Nobody
9/10/2010 11:54:34 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:54:34 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message 
>news:621k86l47j1n223k37cce9g64q287jqrgh@4ax.com...
>> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
>> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
>> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
>> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>>
>> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
>> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
>> since it is fine in all other respects.)
>
>I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every 
>EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL. 
>However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control 
>statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two 
>buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The 
>window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that 
>information to get what you want.

Google produced several hits for VBBubble, but also this:
http://btmtz.mvps.org/tooltip/

I quickly modified the demo code to add a call to change the initial
delay and bingo! The delay is now 5ms. The tooltip pops up
instantaneously.  However, this is creating a new tool tip, not the
VBBubble one, so I'll research this a bit further in case I find
something more on VBBubble, else I'll just use Brad Martinez's
solution.

Many thanks for the pointers!

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 4:36:26 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
news:i6d69s$qr2$1@speranza.aioe.org...
: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise 
every
: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.

So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS. 

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 5:27:38 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:27:38 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>
>"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
>news:i6d69s$qr2$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise 
>every
>: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>
>So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS. 

While it is fairly straightforward to create one's own tooltip, which
I've since done using Brad Martinez's tooltip example, it would be a
lot easier simply to call a Windows API to reset the initial display
for the inbuilt VBBubble tooltip. That 500ms initial delay must exist
SOMEwhere in the OS, but where? It'll almost certainly be a Long.

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 7:48:47 PM
You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.

SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300

>That 500ms initial delay must exist
> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?

That place is the registry.

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:ao2l86dgeoj7ga4jq5c65gqr3a6of59lv6@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:27:38 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>>news:i6d69s$qr2$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>>: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise
>>every
>>: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>>
>>So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS.
>
> While it is fairly straightforward to create one's own tooltip, which
> I've since done using Brad Martinez's tooltip example, it would be a
> lot easier simply to call a Windows API to reset the initial display
> for the inbuilt VBBubble tooltip. That 500ms initial delay must exist
> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where? It'll almost certainly be a Long.
>
> MM 

0
J
9/10/2010 8:17:26 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:17:26 -0500, "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.
>
>SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300
>
>>That 500ms initial delay must exist
>> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?
>
>That place is the registry.

Do you know where?

MM
0
MM
9/11/2010 7:08:14 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

Can't get Outlook 2003 to close all the way---Please help
Hi all, I just installed Office 2003 on a Windows XP professional System. I can't get outlook to shut down all the way. I've searched Google and have discovered that this is not an isolated incident and that many are having this problem. I have not been able to located a posting that provides a soultion yet. Can anyone help? I do have a Pcoket PC with Active Sync installed. I also deleted my existing pst file and created a new one with no data in it and I still have the same problem. Please help. This product has bee out for a little while and with the widespread amount of people who...

Visual Basic Help Wizard/Index problem, can't get cursor
I am able to bring up the help file in an excel workbook with no problems. However, in the VBA help file I can only access the contents portion. I cannot get a cursor in the Answer Wizard or Index Areas - I only get a cursor with arrows pointing left and right but cannot enter any text in the keyword field, etc. I recently updated from my original office with the SR-1 updates, not sure if this could be related. Appreciate any insights. Hi ...., Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager (not to reboot) In the process tab select msohelp.exe and then the "En...

alert sounds, can i customize for mac?
hi, working on mac 9.2. was wondering if i can customize my alert sounds for outlook express 5.02? thanks k Kelly Vander Linda <kvl@sliceedit.com> wrote: > working on mac 9.2. was wondering if i can customize my alert sounds > for outlook express 5.02? Ask in the appropriate newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac -- Brian Tillman ...

How can i create a vignette effect on a photo in publisher
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh.... big mysterious white space... eek! I can type in it! -- Ed Bennett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_%28graphic_design%29 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Ed Bennett" <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23Qbq8477GHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh.... big mysterious white space... > eek! I can type in it! > > -- > Ed...

How can I use the vlookup function to return a sum of the values?
Hi, I am trying to use the vlookup function to return several values as 1 result into 1 single cell. For example, i have a spreadsheet which lists several different dpeartments. These departments may be repaeted many times in the spreadsheet. I need a sum of thoses values to be returned in a separate cell using the vlookup function. Can someone help me on this please? Thanks Chaandni Wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to use the vlookup function to return several values as 1 > result > into 1 single cell. For example, i have a spreadsheet which lists > several > differ...

security: domain admins can open any mailbox etc
Hi, We use exchange 2003 Ent and any member of domain admin group can open any mailbox and has even send as permissions. i have added the DWORD value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\ExAdmin: Value Name: ShowSecurityPage Data Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1 and see the domain asmin listed but all allow options are selected and greyed out. Is it standard for Domain admins to have such hugh priviledges and if No then how can I cut their access down? Thanks -- George I have the same setup and Domain\Admin users have all allow option gray out but the associated external account....

Can't change default file location
After several repeated attempts I have been unable to change the default file location on the General tab of the Options dialog. I am also unable to get the AutoRecover location to change. I enter a new valid path in each and when I close the Options dialog and re-open, the old path is back. I am using Office 2002 on Windows XP professional. Works fine for me, when you "close the Options dialog box" are you clicking "OK"? If you're closing without doing that then the entries will be ignored. -- Regards; Rob Please reply to the NG, I'm already up to my ...

Reduce fan speed
sounds like my pc is ready for take off.... The fan gives 3 sounds: Loud, louder, loudest and alternate on their own. Is there any way to reduce the fan speed or is there some program that is constantly running? "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:8E672C07-A476-4D1E-88FF-8EF43525E10B@microsoft.com... > sounds like my pc is ready for take off.... The fan gives 3 sounds: = Loud,=20 > louder, loudest and alternate on their own. Is there any way to reduce = the=20 > fan speed or is there some program that is constantly running? I ...

Can an Advanced Find be exported?
Do you know if an Advanced Find view can be exported Thanks, Clare when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I never heard of exporting it :=) /Aamir Thanks Aamir. I wanted to take it from one installation to another. Never mind. "Aamir" wrote: > > when you create view , you usually share or assign to another users. I > never heard of exporting it :=) > > /Aamir > > ...

Can't send e-mails
I can receive e-mails but not send them. Dialogue box states: "Please enter your user name and password for the following server. server: smtp.frontier.com user name: ___________ password: _____________" (I've not filled in user name & password here.) Is this a settings, or hardware (server) problem? Do I fix by changing live mail settings, or call my DSL provider regarding their modem/router? Has this e-mail account ever worked? You can't have an e-mail account without a username and password. Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Servers. Is t...

Can't unlink groups of tasks
I am setting up a Project 2003 file for a project involving inspections of 30 facilities. I would like to track them a decrete groups of tasks in the same file. Each facility consists of the same tasks repeated with only the start date different. I created the tasks and timelines for the first facility, got the dependencies and constraints straight, formated the bars and labels, etc. I then copied that group of tasks, changed the facility label for each facility. When I tried to adjust the start date for the second and third groups of tasks, ALL the start dates changed. I checke...

An error occurred initializing the VBA LIBRARIES (65535)
When I want to open the Excel (97 version, Windows 98), I receive the following message: "An error occurred initializing the VBA libraries (65535)".When I click "OK" the Excel however opens, but can not open all of my excel documents.The same message I recceive when I want to open in Excel TOOLS/MACRO/VISUAL BASIC EDITOR. What has hapened and how can I resolve this problem? Thanks, Jovan Milojkovic, Belgrade! ...

Can I use solver functions in a protected (locked) worksheet?
I am using the solver function to optimize a blend of products. I want to lock (protect) some areas of the worksheet, but when doing so the solver function will not work and the following translated message arrives: The active document is not a worksheet, is protected or shared. Hope someone can help me. Thank you. Niels ...

SSL
Hi, I finally have a working SBS 2003 SP1 install of CRM3.0 using SSL. I can access reportserver and reportmanager directly, but trying to run the reports through the CRM interface results in 'unable to establish trust' type error (after I turned on error display) I am currently using a private cert (possibly mismatched server name) - I have to accept this condition on initially opening - and wondered if this might be the issue? I saw somewhere that I could say for RS not to check the cert detail - but where please? TIA Chris ...

How can I save Visio as Word to allow an edit in Word?
I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word format so she can "play" with them. No matter the format I choose to save the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the page always opens in Visio. Is there any way to save the files to allow editing in Word? I really don't want to have to do these all over again. And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio. Thanks! unfortunately her desire to edit them in word will go unfulfilled. al "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Can't Delete Investment Watch Accounts.
Have 10 old (five years since used) investment accounts (used as stock watch accounts) that I can't delete. I get the error message that states that: "This operation cannot be performed." Have tried running the Money File Repair tool to fix the problems to no avail. Tried re-opening these closed accounts and they still won't delete, same error message. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I might rid Money 2005 of these accounts? The details relating to this message are: ************************************************************************************************...

I have Visio 2000. Can I view files from newer versions?
Hi, I have Visio 2000. Can I view files from newer versions? I tried to open one from someone who I believe has either 2002 or later version? The file format did not change when Visio 2002 was released, so you should be able to open Visio 2002 files. The file format did change for Visio 2003, so you will be unable to open these files. Visio 2003 can save in Visio 2002/2000 format and there is a Visio viewer. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.o...

Can I reference a filtered item in the Custom Header
I would like to include the currently filtered item in my custom report header. For example: "Dummy Bills for Agency xxxxxxxx", where xxxxxxxx is the currently filtered agency. Can this be done? Here's a link that returns the filter criteria via a userdefined function. It's a procedure posted by Tom Ogilvy (posted by Debra Dalgleish). http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=40BE8AD9.5040505%40contexturesXSPAM.com Jack wrote: > > I would like to include the currently filtered item in my custom report > header. For example: "Dummy Bills for Agency xxxxxxx...

"Delayed Delivery" never delivers
I am using Outlook 2002 that links to a corporate Exchange 5.5 server. When I select in options on a new message for delayed delivery the message never reaches its destination. I have tried to send to both intenal and external e-mail accounts and none of them work. I can see the message waiting in my outbox and it disappears when the desired send time comes to pass. After that...nothing. The e- mail shows in my sent items folder but it never actually arrives at its destination. What am I missing here? Thanks, Jeff Any chance the message also has an expiration date on it that i...

How a Tooltip can be displayed?
Goodmorning, How can a tooltip can be displayed when we hover the mouse over specific cells? Thanks in advance for your time I'm not sure about a "tooltip" specifically, but you can click Insert/Comment from Excel's menu bar and put whatever text you want to display in the Comment Box that appears and it will be displayed any time the mouse is over that cell. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "amateur" <amateur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:520FCF85-B62A-40E6-A8E6-5D0C14630C59@microsoft.com... > Goodmorning, > > How can a tooltip c...

Can I move the data files?
I just installed Money 2005. I let it take most of the defaults, It choose to store the data files in \My Documents. I would like to move all of them to \My Documents\My Money. Is there a way to do that? -- Simplest way is to use My Computer or Windows Explorer. Navigate to your ..mny file, click on it, click on edit > copy, navigate to where you want the ..mny file to live and click on edit > paste. When the file is in it's new home, double click on the file name. This will call up Money and this will then remember where it found the file. Now go back to the original locati...

I can receive and not send
I am using XP and Outlook 2007. E-mail just recently won't send. I get the error message "your server does not support the connection encryption type." I can send using Web Mail (q.com)The ISP reports there is nothing wrong. One error said there is an internal error; it was not fixed with the repair function on the disk. Point me in the right direction, please. Have you verified your account settings already? Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd st...

can't delete DLL
Hi, I wrote a very simple dll and through VC++ debug, I can see it has already call destroy() when my host program exit; But I find I can't delete it in folder. it maybe means it is still in use. but I have already free it. Anyone can give a clue, where's my problem? I use XP + VC++. BOOL init() { return true; } static void a() { } static void b() {} void destroy() { } BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HINSTANCE hInst, DWORD fdwReason, LPVOID lpvReserved) { if (fdwReason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) return init(hInst); if (fdwReason == DLL_PROCESS_DETACH) destroy(); return TRUE; } ...

How can I change primary display for presentation on multiple mon.
I want to hit F5 and have my presentation go to a different monitor. I have multiple monitors so my laptop display on a classroom screen. Can I change the default monitor that F5 points to? In article <5A95BBFC-B291-4A05-9E71-3F094B937ABB@microsoft.com>, Shorebilly wrote: > I want to hit F5 and have my presentation go to a different monitor. I have > multiple monitors so my laptop display on a classroom screen. Can I change > the default monitor that F5 points to? In the Slide Show | Set up show dialog, you can choose the monitor you want to display slide s...