How can I reduce the initial ToolTip delay in VB6?

I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
(on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.

(I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
since it is fine in all other respects.)

MM
0
MM

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>
> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
> since it is fine in all other respects.)

I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every
EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control
statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two
buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The
window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that
information to get what you want.

0
Nobody
9/10/2010 11:54:34 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:54:34 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've read up on TTM_SETDELAYTIME, but this appears to relate to a
>> newly created tooltip. How can I change the Windows default tooltip's
>> initial delay from 500ms to, say, 10ms? I want one particular tooltip
>> (on my virtual piano keys) to appear as instantaneously as possible.
>>
>> (I could, of course, create my own tooltip popup, but if it's possible
>> to affect the standard tooltip initial delay I might as well use that,
>> since it is fine in all other respects.)
>
>I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise every
>EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>However, it's possible that Microsoft compiled the tooltip control
>statically into the VB runtime. Also, by using Spy++ with a form with two
>buttons, VB tooltip window handle remains the same for each tooltip. The
>window class is "VBBubble", so you might be able to use some of that
>information to get what you want.

Google produced several hits for VBBubble, but also this:
http://btmtz.mvps.org/tooltip/

I quickly modified the demo code to add a call to change the initial
delay and bingo! The delay is now 5ms. The tooltip pops up
instantaneously.  However, this is creating a new tool tip, not the
VBBubble one, so I'll research this a bit further in case I find
something more on VBBubble, else I'll just use Brad Martinez's
solution.

Many thanks for the pointers!

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 4:36:26 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise
every
: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.

So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS.

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 5:27:38 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:27:38 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>: I think VB tooltip is not using the common control tooltip, otherwise
>every
>: EXE made with VB would have a dependency on the common controls DLL.
>
>So?  That particular DLL is part of the Windows OS.

While it is fairly straightforward to create one's own tooltip, which
I've since done using Brad Martinez's tooltip example, it would be a
lot easier simply to call a Windows API to reset the initial display
for the inbuilt VBBubble tooltip. That 500ms initial delay must exist
SOMEwhere in the OS, but where? It'll almost certainly be a Long.

MM
0
MM
9/10/2010 7:48:47 PM
You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.

SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300

>That 500ms initial delay must exist
> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?

That place is the registry.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:17:26 -0500, "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>You can send a TTM_SETDELAYTIME to set the delay.
>
>SendMessage Handle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 300
>
>>That 500ms initial delay must exist
>> SOMEwhere in the OS, but where?
>
>That place is the registry.

Do you know where?

MM
0
MM

Can I Build an Access Statement (in 2007) as a String and Execute
Hi, I know that I can build a SQL statement within a string and then execute it like the following: strSQL = "UPDATE tblAuditRpt " _ & "SET tblAuditRpt.AuditRptYesCount = " & lngInitialEvalCount & " " _ & "WHERE tblAuditRpt.AuditRptID=25;" CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError Can I do the same with an Access statement itself? For example, How could I execute the following statement if I built it in a string? lngInitialEvalCount = DCount ("AuditDtlCnt", "AuditDetai...

can not recieve e-mail
I have set up a echange 2003 server and am unable to recieve e-mail. when I telnet to the mydomain.com 25 I get a reply that says connection to host is lost. How do I configure this to allow the mail to get to the server? thanks Stacy Do you have a Firewall? Is port 25 open on your Firewall or does it have a rule forwarding port 25 traffic to your Exchange box? I assume you can telnet port 25 inside your network. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Stacy McBrien" <mcbriens@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:13a601c3df8...

Can I block "all" except those I want?
All, Does anyone know if you can configure Outlook 2000 to block all e-mails except those addresses I choose to accept or agree to by adding them? Thanks, Kendall >Does anyone know if you can configure Outlook 2000 to >block all e-mails except those addresses I choose to >accept or agree to by adding them? I know. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

can you customize a delivery notification?
Exchange 2003 on a Server 2003 OS. user A is set to Send AS user b. User b is set to not receive email. I want to send a delivery report to any user private or public, that tries to send user b an email stating why their message was not delivered and for them to call their broker. I'm needing a cusomized delivery notification. Can this be done without the purchase of expensive software? On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:25:02 -0700, O'Doyle Rules!! <O'Doyle Rules!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Exchange 2003 on a Server 2003 OS. > >user A is set to Send AS user b...

Can't open my money file #2
Good evening, From today i can't open my money file, i had formatted my pc and i reinstalled money as usual. Today when i open my money file after typing the correct password the program show a screen where it say "Money has detected that you did not close file xxx before exiting Money now needs to verify the information in your file. .... Do you want do this now?" I click yes and it say "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again" But i dont put nowhere any email address this is an old money file converted to new money 2008 un year ago i never ...

can't download application any ideas on how to?
I'm trying to download an application. I'm not good on computers. On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:11:02 -0800, Kent <Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to download an application. I'm not good on computers. I'm trying to get an animal. I'm not very good with livestock. Please post a better description of what you're trying to do. The version of Windows that you're using would help; the identity of the application would help more; where you're trying to download it from would help even more. And you may want to post you...

To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have never used Outlook Express. "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes." "Rufus Chaney" <RufusChaney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47B333C7-3076-4788-A23F-652B389F9A3B@microsoft.com... > This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have > never > used Outlook Express. > > "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may > take > up to a f...

Can DPM be configured to log events to a remote syslog server?
I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, Phillip Datagram's SyslogAgent can be used to forward Windows system events to a Syslog server. And it's free. http://syslogserver.com/syslogagent.html Daniel "Phillip Wendell" wrote: > I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a > way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, > > Phillip > . > Looks like a good solution. Thanks... ...

Can a virus exist within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick?
Hi, I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick. I had a hard time formatting and needed to yank the stick out and put it back in before format would work. Am I being superstitious or is there anything to this. What is in a USB memory ReadyBoost cache? Any executable code? In article <uobbwdFULHA.4576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nospam@nospam.com says... > > Hi, > > I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist > within the RedadyBoo...

Can't Get CRM 3.0 Reports To Work
In the readme file that comes with server installation in the early access program it mentions under Known Issues: ************************************************ Microsoft CRM Server Privileges Required for Installing Microsoft CRM and Using an Existing Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Server The user installing Microsoft CRM and connecting to an existing Microsoft SQL 2000 Server Reporting Services Server must have as a minimum the Content Manager Role privileges at the Root Folder Level, and System Administrator privileges at the Site Wide Setting Level. ***********************...

HELP! I can't go to my desktop, much less get online
I kept losing my connection on my WiFi laptop, so I tried repairing the connection by right clicking the icon. Now when I start my pc it presents me with a place to type a password-and I never have set a password to get into my computer. How do I avoid this because it is my computer and I'd like to use it. My system is Windows XP, IE8.-Thank nYou for your help, I'm typing this on someone elses computer. James Moore Larry wrote: > I kept losing my connection on my WiFi laptop, so I tried repairing > the connection by right clicking the icon. Now when I start my pc it ...

How can I detach an audio file from a PowerPoint Presentation?
Is there a way to do this? I'm sure I could use an audio capture utility to do this, but I would prefer to obtain the audio in it's original format. Please advise. Thanks in advance for your time and help. Save As > Web Page (*.html) The sound file will be in the folder of dependant files -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Titanium" wrote: > Is there a way to do this? > > I'm sure I could use an audio capture utility...

Do Option Groups Offer an OTHER Option that Users Can Add Themselves?
Hello, I'm using Access 2003 on a novice level. I have a question about option groups. I'd like to know if it's possible to create a set of radio buttons, check boxes, and/or drop-down lists, with an OTHER option that lets the user enter a new value. I know that's possible with Filemaker Pro. If you enable the OTHER option, a popup window appears that lets you add a new item to the list. I'm not sure if that applies only to drop-down lists, but it has come in handy at times. Can it be done with Access? If so, what are the rudimentary steps to accomplishing this? Tha...

I can belive we pay 2000 pounds for a mac??
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I can believe that I buy a 2000 pounds laptop and I can access some business card temple .... because I don't use windows please help me I wish to see some temple to create a business card on my MAC BOOC Pro The price of the Mac has nothing to do with it :-) First of all, are you aware that in File> Project Gallery - New there are Business Card templates available? All templates designed specifically for Mac Office apps are automatically included when you install the software. If you want to use thos...

How do I reduce the number of data points I have??
Hi , I have some 10000 data points from which I need to reduce to something like 100 points before making an xy chart. Typically I would like to make a chart of every 10th point. So basically I need to reduce the length of my two rows. Is there any way I can do this easily?? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- swapan From the Microsoft Charting FAQ: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon024 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ssan...

How can I reinstall my microsoft excel?
This is my problem. My CD-Rom quit working and nothing would fix it. A friend of ours told us to do a complete system restore. I didn't back up my programs and I lost all of my microsoft office programs. And my CD-Rom still doesn't work. How do I reinstall? Hi When you have a possibility to connect to some other computer (through LAN), then share out CD-ROM in another computer, map it to your computer (yo must have file and printer sharing installed), and then install Office from mapped resource. Otherwise, when you have USB port in your computer, and you have or can borr...

How can I change dollar sybbol to euro symbol?
If data is numeric then use Format Cells and choose a format with a Euro symbol, or if text just do an Edit / Replace. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- "zwerver" <zwerver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1821DD41-E29A-4034-9A2E-9DCB5AB6B4BD@micros...

How can you bulk delete failed emails?
I have a client that uses a third party to "SPAM" messages out to the public from their email list out of CRM. They just sent me an Excel spreadsheet with a list of about 30 emails that failed on the marketing endeavor. Is there a way for CRM to look up these failed email addresses and remove them from the appropriate accounts so that they do not try to send to them again? write a custom application which looks for failed emails and deletes them using crm sdk. Then use windows task scheduler or create a service to call your application on a specified period, once a day or ev...

Can this be done............??
Hi, any help appreciated. I have 7 foxpro database files that each contains specific information about clients. One database (personal) contains the client personal detail whilst the other files are referenced by the unique client_ID. I would like to create a worksheet that lists the client name / address ( from the 'Personal' file ) and certain fields from each of the other files ( eg date_last_visited / last order / sale value etc ). I have run MS Query but this returns only clients who meet ALL criteria......some clients would have a blank value in some fields and these then are no...

Can I download embedded midi file in XP ?
Hi, I am using IE7 with XP. Would it be possible to download an embedded midi file from a web site? The source code is something like: if(ap_name=='Netscape') { document.write('<embed src="/data/midi/music/ss100.mid" autostart =true hidden=true loop=2') } else { document.write('<bgsound src="/data/midi/music/ss100.mid" autostart =true hidden=true loop=2') Thanks Patrick wrote: > Hi, > > I am using IE7 with XP. > > Would it be possible to download an embedded midi fil...

NosmoQ, good for health, can stop smoking addiction..
�CIGARETTE SMOKING IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH� We know already that smoking habit is bad to our health right? So wh we continue doing that habit in spite we know the bad effect if yo continue doing that? If you feel hard to quit so here�s I could offe to you �NOSMOQ� product. If you really try our product you could qui within one week only for more information to our product just simpl click this link: http://partnerclicks.net/click.php?APID=2&affID=0001017 Or if you have more questions regarding our product just mail me a dairycharz_84@yahoo.com Our address in Japan: Kawai Bldg 6...

what can I do about to struct
> To all: struct indexhead{ > char Mark[9]; > char MainVer; > char SubVer; > short IdxNum; > char Reserved[5]; > }; May I do so that: > void SetindexHead() > { > indexhead indexhd; > indexhd.IdxNum=1; > indexhd.Mark[9]="dfadf"; > ..... > > } I know It is Error,but I dont know why? one of Reply is appreciated. Ok,It is my answer! thanks "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <scottmcp@mvps.org.nothere> wrote in message news:OoQ2JEzKEHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... ...

Money 2005: Can't Get Support
I tried to open an on-line ticket for the upgrade problems I am having (2004-->2005), but the Microsoft site says "The Product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected. You may go back and choose another country or enter another Product ID number." I'm in the US. I selected "United States" and I purchased by d/l direct from Microsoft. BTW: Trying to report: 1) Cannot restore a backup unless I am connected to the internet. 2) When I started 2005, it converted from 2004 but lost quite a few transactions. 3) The first time the s/...

Worker thread in MDI App can only use 50% of CPU ..
Hello all, I am working on an MDI application using VS .NET 2003. The application contains a worker thread that can, if allowed run for hours and even DAYS. The remainder of the application is a series of dialogs, displays and graph to allow the user to visually examine both the input and output of the worker thread. At this time, when I run the worker thread, the Windows XP task manager reports that I am only using 50% of the CPU for the application. Given the relatively long potential execution times of the worker thread, I wish to upgrade that value to at least 90% and perhaps m...

Date Format when incoming date can be 0
I have a date fiels yyyymmdd which can have a value of 0 or a valid date in recent past. Excel displays the 0 date as 01/01/1900 and the non zero dates as expected. Cant figure this out , any help would be appreciated. Excel uses a sequencial number from either 1/1/1900, or 1/1/1904 (depending on your options) as the date value for Example 6/3/2005 is 38506 using the 1/1/1900 if the cell is formatted as a date it is responding with the date it thinks you mean. If you want the cell to display a zero =if(Date=0,"0",date) "DP NY10601" wrote: > I have a date fiels y...