E_Fail Status with VB6

Have a VB6 app that is being used to pull data from a database.
Various locations have this database and it has been running
fine on all of them except for one where we are getting  the following
error message:

"the data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status"

The connection string for the ADO connection looks like this:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Password=MyPassword;Persist Security Info=True;User
ID=MyUser;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Data Source=MyServer

The recordset is using adUseClient, adOpenForwardOnly,
adLockBatchOptimistic

The select statement is a simple Select * from table

Only the statement query analyzer returns all of the expected records,
just errors out on one database, which
said application having been tried on 3 different computers.

Any ideas?

0
Nobody

No idea.

"Nobody" <trinity@nobody.com> wrote in message
> Have a VB6 app that is being used to pull data from a database. Various
> locations have this database and it has been running
> fine on all of them except for one where we are getting  the following
> error message:
>
> "the data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status"
>
> The connection string for the ADO connection looks like this:
>
> Provider=SQLOLEDB;Password=MyPassword;Persist Security Info=True;User
> ID=MyUser;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Data Source=MyServer
>
> The recordset is using adUseClient, adOpenForwardOnly,
> adLockBatchOptimistic
>
> The select statement is a simple Select * from table
>
> Only the statement query analyzer returns all of the expected records,
> just errors out on one database, which
> said application having been tried on 3 different computers.
>
> Any ideas?

0
Phil
9/9/2010 5:52:30 PM
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:18:12 -0400, "Nobody" <trinity@nobody.com>
wrote:

>Have a VB6 app that is being used to pull data from a database.
>Various locations have this database and it has been running
>fine on all of them except for one where we are getting  the following
>error message:
>
>"the data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status"
>
>The connection string for the ADO connection looks like this:
>
>Provider=SQLOLEDB;Password=MyPassword;Persist Security Info=True;User
>ID=MyUser;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Data Source=MyServer
>
>The recordset is using adUseClient, adOpenForwardOnly,
>adLockBatchOptimistic
>
>The select statement is a simple Select * from table
>
>Only the statement query analyzer returns all of the expected records,
>just errors out on one database, which
>said application having been tried on 3 different computers.

That is a particularly nasty error as it is the ultimate "bail-out"
for a client of a COM component. ie, a call failed and there was no
other information or it returned an error that VB or ADO couldn't
categorize as anything else. And it could be coming from anything from
the DAC/MDAC components on down.

Your best bet is to use a JIT debugger, either Dr. Watson or WinDbg
and hope the stack trace will give you the component. You also might
try enumerating the ADODB.Connection Errors collection, for additional
information.

Query Analyzer works because it isn't using the same COM stack.
However, the fact it is also reporting problems, suggest the basic
cause is with the database/data itself, or perhaps you have multiple
problems.

hth
-ralph
0
ralph
9/9/2010 6:29:31 PM
"Nobody" <trinity@nobody.com> wrote in message
> Have a VB6 app that is being used to pull data from a database. Various
> locations have this database and it has been running
> fine on all of them except for one where we are getting  the following
> error message:
>
> "the data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status"

Hello clone! :-)

Besides what Ralph suggested, there could be a problem with MDAC
installation. See this article:

Component Checker: Diagnose problems and reconfigure MDAC installations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307255

You didn't mention what OS that this problem appears on. Vista and after
already contain the latest ADO and Jet service packs(SP8). ADO version is
actually 6.0+ in these OS's, so you should not have problems with these
OS's.

0
Nobody
9/9/2010 6:49:53 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message

> Hello clone! :-)
>
> Besides what Ralph suggested, there could be a problem with MDAC
> installation. See this article:
>
> Component Checker: Diagnose problems and reconfigure MDAC
> installations
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307255
>
> You didn't mention what OS that this problem appears on. Vista and
> after already contain the latest ADO and Jet service packs(SP8). ADO
> version is actually 6.0+ in these OS's, so you should not have
> problems with these OS's.

Windows XP, SP2, various patches applied. MDAC is up to date on the
clients,
probably not on the server. The server with the issue is running
Windows 2000, MS
SQL 7. Then again I have another server, Win 2000 and SQL 7, same
database
structure and it is works fine

I'll try and check some of the ADO for errors.

0
Nobody
9/9/2010 7:15:58 PM
What I see in an error for the recordset  (under activeconnections)
object is this:

"Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
Requested operation requires a current record."

My ADO Connection object doesn't show any errors

Wish isn't helping me much.

0
Nobody
9/9/2010 7:23:32 PM
Why don't you idiots use real names?  Or at least *pretend* to as to not
look like teenage trolls badly attempting to be "kewl".  Or does who you
really are embarrass you so much, you cannot bear to reveal yourself?

:
: "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
: news:i6ba8f$u1n$1@speranza.aioe.org...
: >
: > Hello clone! :-)
: >
[...]

Kevin
9/9/2010 7:39:57 PM
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:23:32 -0400, "Nobody" <trinity@nobody.com>
wrote:

>What I see in an error for the recordset  (under activeconnections)
>object is this:
>
>"Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
>Requested operation requires a current record."
>
>My ADO Connection object doesn't show any errors

Ha, wish you had said this before. I thought you were getting a
spurious E_Fail Error, ie, "out of the blue" per sec.

That error is usually quite specific and accurate. Somewhere in your
navigation or chewing (query, find, search, sort, move) on the
Recordset you have managed to confuse it and it is coming up with 'no
record'.

As to why it works on other machines and not this one? My best guess
is because the data is either bad or different enough it is causing a
alternate conditional path/s.

-ralph
0
ralph
9/9/2010 8:47:23 PM
"Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote in message
> Why don't you idiots use real names?  Or at least *pretend* to as to
> not
> look like teenage trolls badly attempting to be "kewl".  Or does who
> you
> really are embarrass you so much, you cannot bear to reveal
> yourself?

I mainly do it to tick people off. Much as the same reason I use a
fake e-mail address. Does that other you to or do you have something
that could be actually meaningful to add to the conversation?

0
Nobody
9/10/2010 4:29:57 PM
"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message
> Ha, wish you had said this before. I thought you were getting a
> spurious E_Fail Error, ie, "out of the blue" per sec.
>
> That error is usually quite specific and accurate. Somewhere in your
> navigation or chewing (query, find, search, sort, move) on the
> Recordset you have managed to confuse it and it is coming up with
> 'no
> record'.
>
> As to why it works on other machines and not this one? My best guess
> is because the data is either bad or different enough it is causing
> alternate conditional path/s.

Has me stumped too. We have three of the exactly same database layouts
(internal data is a little different, but
all verified as legit data). Databases 1 and 2 the query within VB6
works as expected, just against this third database where it is
kicking out. I've seen various references to a possibility of it
having to do with date fields, which there are two in the recordset,
but I verified the data in those fields are actually dates. I even
modified the query to make sure it only returns one record (using the
primary key). Again, works great in query analyzer against this
database, nothing in VB6.

We are going to re-boot the server/database on Monday and then see
what happens.

0
Nobody
9/10/2010 4:38:18 PM
On 9/9/2010 12:39 PM, Kevin Provance wrote:
> Why don't you idiots use real names?  Or at least *pretend* to as to not
> look like teenage trolls badly attempting to be "kewl".  Or does who you
> really are embarrass you so much, you cannot bear to reveal yourself?
<snip>

Identity theft for one. And what's to prevent someone from using a name
that is not their own?
0
Mike
9/10/2010 8:03:04 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:03:04 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Identity theft for one. And what's to prevent someone from using a name
>that is not their own?

Court order.  <smile>  One person I know of, as part of their
sentencing agreement,  had to sign all public postings with his real
name.  As his style was distinctive, to say the least, he was honest
for the next two years.  And still is in the newsgroups where I see
him.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
: Court order.  <smile>  One person I know of, as part of their
: sentencing agreement,  had to sign all public postings with his real
: name.  As his style was distinctive, to say the least, he was honest
: for the next two years.  And still is in the newsgroups where I see
: him.

You lurking in one of the news.admin.net-abuse.* groups too?  Those folks
are vicious.  They make this group look like a catholic church on Sunday.

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 9:12:02 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:12:02 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>: Court order.  <smile>  One person I know of, as part of their
>: sentencing agreement,  had to sign all public postings with his real
>: name.  As his style was distinctive, to say the least, he was honest
>: for the next two years.  And still is in the newsgroups where I see
>: him.
>
>You lurking in one of the news.admin.net-abuse.* groups too?  Those folks
>are vicious.  They make this group look like a catholic church on Sunday.

No, this is in the Microsoft Access newsgroups.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/10/2010 9:34:46 PM
> What I see in an error for the recordset  (under activeconnections) object
> is this:
>
> "Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
> Requested operation requires a current record."
>
> My ADO Connection object doesn't show any errors
>
> Wish isn't helping me much.

I am not 100% sure, but I think because you are using adLockBatchOptimistic,
you get a "general" error and the details are in the Errors collection of
the Connection object. The error means that you are trying to do something
like MoveFirst, but the recordset is empty.

0
Nobody

Possible VB6 Timer function bug?
I am using the VB6 Timer function and have found something that seems strange. My CheckExpiration function takes the prior timer value and a timespan, and returns whether the timespan has transpired. The top of the function looks like this: Private Function CheckExpiration(ByVal LastTime As Single, _ ByVal TimeSpan As Single) As Boolean Dim diff As Single, r As Boolean r = False ' assume timer has not expired yet diff = Timer - LastTime ' compute time difference What I've found is that fairly often, time seems to slip bac...

Posting batch status
I have a financial batch with a status of "busy". No one is in it. What can I do to get into it? Thanks Merle, Go to CustomerSource and run an Automated Solution from the Support area. Chose the correct version of your product, then scroll down to System Manager and run the "Cannot Post Batch" solution. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Merle Schwickerath" wrote: > I have a financial batch with a status of "busy". No one is in it. What can > I do to g...

VB6 on Vista vs DirectX
Has MS provided a solution to DirectX on Vista? I would like to use some of the features, especially the sound effects, that I have in my VB6 app running on XP. All I have seen is that DirectX does not work on Vista and is not supported. So how does one do that in a distributable VB6 app? Lorin wrote: > Has MS provided a solution to DirectX on Vista? > I would like to use some of the features, especially the sound > effects, that I have in my VB6 app running on XP. > All I have seen is that DirectX does not work on Vista and is not > supported. So how does one d...

messages stuck in "awaiting directory lookup" status
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2. No mail has been sent out of my server for the last few hours. While troubleshooting, I have discovered they are all awaiting Directory Lookup (figured this out by drilling down into Queues on the server object in ESM. Right-clicking on "messages awaiting directory lookup" and selecting "force connection" did nothing. The Exchange server is co-located on the same server as the DC/GC for testing purposes (small home network). -- Spin Hi Have you tried running DCDiag to test availability/health of this...

"No Information" in Scheduler status
Hi, We are using Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 in the migration phase with Outlook 2002 (XP) clients. We jut notice while someone tries to create a schedule by inviting others and looking up their availabilities we are getting this “white gray” status on people. The agenda said below this mean “No Information”. I have been looking for explanation/documentation and fix for this in Microsoft, but no much success. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, Victor ...

VB6 ocx in VC++
I have a ocx control in VB6, for drawing a geometrical figure. I wanna use this in a VC application. I observer that after the ocx is called, memory usage shoots up like anything. I suppose it is taking up all my system resources. What do I do here? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!! You will have to redesign your OCX control my dear.... "Andry" <me@me.com> wrote in message news:#rjhjxK7DHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > I have a ocx control in VB6, for drawing a geometrical figure. I wanna use > this in a VC application. > I observer that after the ocx is ca...

Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder of outlook from VB6.0
Hi All! Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder from VB6.0. It is very helpful for me if the code is written in ActiveX DLL and can be called from any form of other projects. -- Thanks and Regards S. Viswanathan Viswanathan wrote: > Hi All! > > Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder from VB6.0. It is > very helpful for me if the code is written in ActiveX DLL and can be called > from any form of other projects. > > -- > Thanks and Regards > S. Viswanathan > > Thanks! Next.... Did you have a particular questi...

import excel 2000 to VB6 visual data manager
i am trying to open an excel file using the Visual dataManager addin i VB6.0 . but it gives me the following error "couldn't find installable ISAM. DAO workspace. Number 3170. -- sonik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1497 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26980 sonika <sonika.1e7r1a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote ... > i am trying to open an excel file using the Visual dataManager addin in > VB6.0 . but it gives ...

E-MAILS TRACKING IN VB6 01-24-08
Hello, I'm writing a new application in Visual Basic 6 (VB6) to send a HTML mail to a list of recipients from an Access database. All is ok so far. What I need now is to program and display all usefull statistics about the mailing, such as how many "bounced" mails, when and who opened or deleted the e-mail he received etc., in order to make an evaluation of the whole mailing. Of course, I can open the Inbox/Mailbox with POP3 and see all replies but then? How can I determine what kind of reply I get (hard or soft bounce etc...)? Can I find any tutorial about this stuff? Thank...

Case status
All Can you add another status to the status's in MSCRM 3.0. Currently the status are "Active, Resolved and Cancelled" I wished to have a "Closed" Status to create a 2 stage closure process for my cases. Eg First stage of Closure - Resolved - Message to customer asking if problem is resolved Second Stage - either customer confirmby return or x amount of time passes and case will be set to "CLOSED" Can anyone help The simple answer is no You will need to work out a solution within the constraint of fixed statuses but customizable status reasons...

Outlook 2007
Using Outlook 2007 When I send an email, I notice that the status bar on the bottom of the screen states that 3 emails are being sent. It says 'Sending message 3 of 3' when I know only one email is being sent. I usually force each send with the send/receive button, so its not because I have pending emails in the outbox. Does anyone know why this is? Could this be because I manage 3 accounts from Outlook during the send/receive action so it considers How can I get Outlook to show me exactly what is being sent (rather than just looking at the sent box at what h...

Customize list of activities, status and task level
Hi all, I'm just using MS CRM 1.2.I would to know how can i customize(add new entry, remove existing entry) default list of activities, activities status, activities priority level. Thak for help! Unfortunately, in v1.2 there is no supported method for making any customizations to any of the Activities. Some changes are allowed in v3.0, but you still cannot change the 6 base Activity "types". -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Guillaume TOURE" <GuillaumeTOURE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F73F60A-544E-4375-A395-3C04753E7D3D@microsoft.c...

customaization status
When I give myself rights to go into the tools->customization status menu, its like it looses it once i get out of security and try to go into it, it is still greyed What version of GP? How exactly are you giving yourself permissions? -- Charles Allen, MVP "Larry C" wrote: > When I give myself rights to go into the tools->customization status menu, > its like it looses it once i get out of security and try to go into it, it is > still greyed ------=_NextPart_0001_BB89E7B5 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Larry Are you using Fiel...

Status
I have a macro which runs a (very long) series of make table queries. The process takes up to 10 minutes and I run it by clicking on a button in a Switchboard page. Is there any way to have the name of the particular query show somewhere on the screen so I can make the user happy that something is actually happening, with the query name changing to show the appropriate query that is being run TIA Steve On Sep 4, 3:17 am, Steve <goo...@coxcomputers.annabay.net> wrote: > I have a macro which runs a (very long) series of make table queries. > The process takes up to 10 minutes and...

Badmail folder, delivery status notification, and archiving of mailbox store
We are running Exchange 2003. I have the First Storage Group mailboxes set to archive all messages sent or received on the store to an user account I created called ArchiveMaster. All emails being sent/received are succesfully being archived to the ArchiveMaster user account. However, I've noticed now that every single email sent/received is showing up in my badmail folder. The contents of the *.BDR file read; This message is a delivery status notification that cannot be delivered. ArchiveMaster@domain.com The *.BAD file contains the actual contents of the email. Is this n...

How to add OnHold status to the close task form
Hi, I am new to CRM and would like to add a new status "OnHold" in the drop down in the task close form. Can anyone pls help me out??? Thanks and Regards Prasad HI Prasad, With the current version it is not possible , you can definitely do it in the next version. Rgds SAM "Prasad" wrote: > Hi, > I am new to CRM and would like to add a new status "OnHold" in the > drop down in the task close form. Can anyone pls help me out??? > > Thanks and Regards > Prasad > ...

VB6 word .saveas method fails when installed
I'm attempting to open a Word document from local disk, modify contents of embedded fields, and save the modifed document using the .saveas method. Code looks like: set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Document.Open("C:\foldername\doc1.doc") wrdFileName = "C:\foldername\doc2.doc" Call wrdDoc.SaveAs(wrdFileName) wrdDoc.Close (false) wrdApp.Quit Doc1 opens, the fields get updated, and Doc2 gets written back to the local folder. The application was developed on an XP system -- Word 2000. When I create the distribution package and install it on a Vista desktop -- Word 20...

Flash 10 OCX update causing System Error crash in vb6 IDE
Hi All Has anybody else experienced problems when using flash ocx controls in your VB6 app since the latest Adobe flash player update came out?? I **think** I was on v. 10e and everything was rosey, a little message appeared on PC startup saying do you want to update your flash player, clicked yes and then all my bloody vb6/flash apps stopped working!!! You can't save any changes to the code when a form has the flash ocx component in the form. It keeps crashing with a System Error. I'd kept the flash standalone installer for v10e, but couldn't even reinstall ...

Asynchronous Sockets Client
Hello, I'm trying to create an Asynchronous Client using the sample code from MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bew39x2a.aspx My problem is that if the connection is refused, e.g. the server is not started. I have no way of knowing this! How do I return some kind of status from an async method? -- Some snippets.... In the main form MyClient vision = new MyClient(); vision.Connect(); // here I don't know if the connection is OK or not // Async socket client class class MyClient { Socket client; private static ManualResetEve...

Serviceactivities status and color
Is there anybody who can tell me how and where to change the default status and colors of serviceaktivities in the servicecalendar ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default....

refresh data on Status bar
I would like to refresh some data in Status Bar. I use window.SetInterval() to refresh, but it doesn't work for me in this case. My code are as following: var TimerID function DisplayServiceName() { try { var qsRules = qsBridge.RequestQSRules(); sql="select *..."; rs = qsRules.OpenRecordSet(sql, true); txtServiceName.value =rs("ServiceName").value; } catch (err) { txtServiceName.value ="empty"; } } function doStartup() { TimerID=window.setInterval("DisplayServiceName()", 500); } .... <body onload="doStar...

Status 15 and DU000030
Hi, I am upgrading from Dynamics GP7.5 to Dynamics GP10. I performed the upgrade from 7.5 to 9.0 with no error that I could see. Then when I upgraded to vs10 I got an upgraded that said there were errors from a previous version. I restored to my upgraded vs90 databases and found that in the DU000030 table there were a lot of lines that had a status of 15. I then restored back to 7.5 and saw that there too was a status 15 in this table (but only on one line) Could this be the cause of my problem - and any idea what this code means? Can I just make this zero and try the upgrade again? Thanks...

SDI -To display a control above the status bar
Hi, Im new to MFC. I want to display a tab control above status bar in a SDI application.I tried GetClientRect in OnInitialUpdate of view n displaying the tab.But the client rect it returned there is entirely different from client rect when application is maximised. So is there any way to get the client rect(in maximised case), so that i can display tab just above the status bar?Or is there any standard call which i can make use of after the application is maximised. Thanks a lot.. Asif Mohammed Asif wrote: > Hi, > Im new to MFC. I want to display a tab control above status bar in a ...

Determine final status of detail records related to a master record
I have two tables - PO and PODetail. The PO table tracks such things as date, po number, vendor, etc. The PODetail table links to the PO table and contains detail information such as item, account number, quantity and paid status. If there is a PO with 5 PODetails, each entry in the detail can have it's own paid status. For example the PO 123 has 5 details and 4 have a paid status of "yes" and 1 has a paid status of "no". I have a query that lists all PO's and their status. If a PO has any PODetail records that has at lease one paid status of "NO", I woul...

charting on/off status
I need to chart the on or off status of a device. I would like for the chart to show a "1" on the y-axis when the device is on and a "0" on the y-axis when the device is off. The x-axis would show the time. If the device comes on at 9:00 am my data recorder records a record with a value of "1" at 9:00. Data recorder's next record is a "0" at 9:23 when the device changes to the off state. Can someone help me to chart this type of information? In the end, I have 4 data recorders that I want to plot on the same chart to determine when the...