Distibution of VB6 program

I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they want
to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?

thank you for any advise.

"jerryys" <jerryys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web.
Is
: there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
: seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
: download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they
want
: to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?

Err...so what...you want to create a setup program, or you want to duplicae
the functionality of downloading a file via and/or similiar to a web
browser?

Your request is a bit vague.  Please clarify.

0
Kevin
8/31/2010 3:08:23 AM
On 31/08/2010 03:31, jerryys wrote:

> I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
> there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
> seems all downloads over the internet work similarly.

No special controls required.

Simply create an installer for your program (to ensure that all the
required dll's and other stuff get bundled up in there as well) and
upload this to a suitable web site.

The users' web browsers will do the rest when they navigate (follow a
hyperlink) to the installer.

Regards,
    Phill  W.
0
Phill
8/31/2010 10:49:51 AM
For this you need to make setup for your VB6 program. Setup can be made
using InnoSetup (its script based) or using ClickTeam installer which is
easy for new users, there are many more. You have to collect all files
required by your program and include in your setup. i recommand you download
Virtual PC 2007 and install windows in it so you can test your setup.

"jerryys" <jerryys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web.
Is

0
Abhishek
8/31/2010 11:00:27 AM
On 8/30/2010 7:31 PM, jerryys wrote:
> I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
> there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
> seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
> download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they want
> to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?
>
> thank you for any advise.

I would consider making the installer with the Package and Deployment
Wizard that comes with VB6, then zipping all of the files it creates
into one zip file, and letting the user download that zip file.

0
Mike
8/31/2010 11:24:37 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped. I can now apply these procedures.

jerryys

On 9/1/2010 8:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> | IZArc is free, integrates with Windows File Explorer, has an intuitive
> | gui, and supports dozens of compression algorithms.
> | http://www.izarc.org/
> |

>   I decided to give that a try. The first thing that
> happened was that it tried to go online before even
> showing a window. After a bit, having been blocked,
> it started the install. Partway through it showed
> this:
>
> "This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
> you may find valuable during the installation of this software."
>
>    'OpenCandy'. What an odd name for a sleazeball
> operation. IzArc is adware and spyware, but there's
> no indication of that until partway through the install.
> The website implies that it's free with no strings.

I am using IZArc 3.81 so it's been a while since I downloaded or
installed it, but I never saw anything like what you described. To find
out if I see the same thing I did this:
1. load this page.
2. click the green "Download Now!" graphic to the right of
    IZArc version 4.1.2  01.07.2010 Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7
3. this page loaded http://www.brothersoft.com/download-izarc-23348.html
4. The IZArc4.1.2.exe file downloaded, and I double-clicked on it.
5. I saw the IZArc install wizard splash screen and clicked the Next >
    button to perform the installation.
6. I saw this warning and decided not to continue, as it sounds like
    ehat you are seeing:
January 26, 2010

This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
you may find valuable during the installation of this software.
OpenCandy collects *NON-personally identifiable* information about
this installation and the recommendation process.
Collection of this information ONLY occurs during this installation
and the recommendation process; in accordance with OpenCandy's
Privacy Policy, available at www.opencandy.com/privacy-policy

By clicking Back and Cancel twice the installation was halted and
nothing was installed.

I apologize for the trouble you had, I had no idea they had made a deal
with OpenCandy. I won't upgrade my version and will look for another zip
utility when it stops working.

Mike
0
Mike
9/2/2010 6:49:41 AM
Looks good to me, i mean this opencandy thingy.

"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| On 9/1/2010 8:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| > | IZArc is free, integrates with Windows File Explorer, has an intuitive
| > | gui, and supports dozens of compression algorithms.
| > | http://www.izarc.org/
| > |

| >   I decided to give that a try. The first thing that
| > happened was that it tried to go online before even
| > showing a window. After a bit, having been blocked,
| > it started the install. Partway through it showed
| > this:
| >
| > "This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
| > you may find valuable during the installation of this software."
| >
| >    'OpenCandy'. What an odd name for a sleazeball
| > operation. IzArc is adware and spyware, but there's
| > no indication of that until partway through the install.
| > The website implies that it's free with no strings.
|
| I am using IZArc 3.81 so it's been a while since I downloaded or
| installed it, but I never saw anything like what you described. To find
| out if I see the same thing I did this:
| 1. load this page.
| 2. click the green "Download Now!" graphic to the right of
|    IZArc version 4.1.2  01.07.2010 Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7
| 3. this page loaded http://www.brothersoft.com/download-izarc-23348.html
| 4. The IZArc4.1.2.exe file downloaded, and I double-clicked on it.
| 5. I saw the IZArc install wizard splash screen and clicked the Next >
|    button to perform the installation.
| 6. I saw this warning and decided not to continue, as it sounds like
|    ehat you are seeing:
| January 26, 2010
|
| This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
| you may find valuable during the installation of this software.
| OpenCandy collects *NON-personally identifiable* information about
| this installation and the recommendation process.
| Collection of this information ONLY occurs during this installation
| and the recommendation process; in accordance with OpenCandy's
| Privacy Policy, available at www.opencandy.com/privacy-policy
|
| By clicking Back and Cancel twice the installation was halted and
| nothing was installed.
|
| I apologize for the trouble you had, I had no idea they had made a deal
| with OpenCandy. I won't upgrade my version and will look for another zip
| utility when it stops working.
|
| Mike

0
Abhishek
9/2/2010 7:03:59 AM
| I apologize for the trouble you had, I had no idea they had made a deal
| with OpenCandy. I won't upgrade my version and will look for another zip
| utility when it stops working.

  Maybe all is not lost. Knowing the last good version
I did a search and came up with this:

http://www.getfreewares.com/2009/03/izarc-381-build-1550.php

 The second download link, from the GetFreeWares
server, delivered v. 3.81 build 1550. I've never
heard of "getfreewares.com", but I ran the installer
and didn't find anything odd or unexpected. It seems
to be legitimate.

0
Mayayana
9/2/2010 12:40:40 PM
| Looks good to me, i mean this opencandy thingy.

  Yes, it sounds interesting from the point
of view of a shareware developer. But it's
rummaging around the Registry, working out
geo-location, and calling home with that info. --
all without asking for permission or even informing
the person installing software. I get very tired
of the disclaimers that talk about "no personally
identifiable information". It's not true and that's
not the point. If you return home to
find someone has broken into your house, should
you believe him when he says that he's just there
to survey your breakfast cereal choices? Even if
that's true...he broke into your house, and your
breakfast cereal is none of his business!

   I could imagine this kind of thing working if
it were not sneaky. Maybe have two downloads,
with one offering free downloads for other software.
Or maybe just ask permission during setup, before
trespassing on one's system. Unfortunately, the
stuff these things pedal is also usually undesirable
junk spyware, so they probably can't make it work
as a legitimate business.

0
Mayayana
9/2/2010 1:03:22 PM
Mayayana wrote :
>> IZArc is free, integrates with Windows File Explorer, has an intuitive
>> gui, and supports dozens of compression algorithms.
>> http://www.izarc.org/
>
>  I decided to give that a try.

I install IZArc on *lots* of machines.

It works great in x64, where older versions of WinZip (licensed prior
to being bought by Corel?) don't.

Highly recommended.

> The first thing that
> happened was that it tried to go online before even
> showing a window.

Yeah, it's checking to see if you have the latest release.  I kinda
like that, because I don't have to bother checking myself when building
a new system.

> After a bit, having been blocked, it started the install.

Graceful degradation. <g>

> Partway through it showed this:
>
> "This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
> you may find valuable during the installation of this software."
>
>   'OpenCandy'. What an odd name for a sleazeball
> operation. IzArc is adware and spyware, but there's
> no indication of that until partway through the install.

I don't like that, either, but it's very easy to uncheck whatever the
recommendation du jour is, and proceed with the intended install.  You
never get any more of that crap from that point onward.

> The website implies that it's free with no strings.

It is.  Unless you call "paying attention" a string.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
9/2/2010 6:32:40 PM
On 9/2/2010 11:32 AM, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
<snip>
>> Partway through it showed this:
>> "This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
>> you may find valuable during the installation of this software."
>> 'OpenCandy'. What an odd name for a sleazeball
>> operation. IzArc is adware and spyware, but there's
>> no indication of that until partway through the install.
>
> I don't like that, either, but it's very easy to uncheck whatever the
> recommendation du jour is, and proceed with the intended install. You
> never get any more of that crap from that point onward.

Great, I didn't know it let you install IZArc without OpenCandy. IZArc
is a very well done program.

0
Mike
9/2/2010 6:50:47 PM
Mike S explained on 9/2/2010 :
> On 9/2/2010 11:32 AM, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Partway through it showed this:
>>> "This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software
>>> you may find valuable during the installation of this software."
>>> 'OpenCandy'. What an odd name for a sleazeball
>>> operation. IzArc is adware and spyware, but there's
>>> no indication of that until partway through the install.
>>
>> I don't like that, either, but it's very easy to uncheck whatever the
>> recommendation du jour is, and proceed with the intended install. You
>> never get any more of that crap from that point onward.
>
> Great, I didn't know it let you install IZArc without OpenCandy. IZArc is a
> very well done program.

Afaik, OpenCandy is just an engine of some sort, that the install
queries and then prompts you with the result.  I guess it's like an
advertising thing.  The author probably gets a cut for every install
that gets pushed.  I can't begrudge a guy that, when he's putting his
own software out for anyone to use for free.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
9/2/2010 7:07:17 PM
=?Utf-8?B?amVycnl5cw==?= <jerryys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
>there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
>seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
>download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they want
>to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?

What's wrong with using the package deployment wizard / installer that comes
with VB 6.0?  It has several options and works very well.  Just remember to
include the non-obvious files in your distribution script that you may need
such as maybe database files, resource files, etc.

0
sfdavidkaye2
9/2/2010 7:12:26 PM
| Great, I didn't know it let you install IZArc without OpenCandy. IZArc
| is a very well done program.

  It's an added part of the installer that checks your
Registry, geo-locates, then calls home to get a list
of recommended programs based on that. You don't
have to install anything, and it looks like the install
will still work if it's blocked. Other companies pay to
have their software advertised during the install.
That's sleazy spyware in my book. I don't want to
encourage that sort of behavior. But it's true that
you can circumvent it if you have a decent firewall.

0
Mayayana
9/2/2010 11:25:35 PM
On 02/09/2010 20:12, David Kaye wrote:
> =?Utf-8?B?amVycnl5cw==?=<jerryys@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>> I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
>> there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
>> seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
>> download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they want
>> to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?
>
> What's wrong with using the package deployment wizard / installer that comes
> with VB 6.0?  It has several options and works very well.  Just remember to
> include the non-obvious files in your distribution script that you may need
> such as maybe database files, resource files, etc.

Many things.
A Brief entry from: http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Setups
> VB PDW has various known issues installing where it can get stuck in
> a perpetual reboot loop. It is also written in VB so requires a two
> step install to install the runtimes, and then to run the real setup,
> often with a reboot in the middle. On top of that, it is not very
> customisable.

It's also not really vista aware, it predates even Windows 2000 and the
standards have come a very long way...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
9/6/2010 7:45:36 AM
| Many things.
| A Brief entry from: http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Setups

| > VB PDW has various known issues installing where it can get stuck in
| > a perpetual reboot loop. It is also written in VB so requires a two
| > step install to install the runtimes, and then to run the real setup,
| > often with a reboot in the middle. On top of that, it is not very
| > customisable.

   You just have to learn how it works. It's entirely
customizable because the source code is available
and it's VB. How much more customizable could it get?

| can get stuck in a perpetual reboot loop.

  That makes it sound quirky and temperamental.
It gets stuck in a reboot loop when people don't
know what they're shipping and end up packaging
system files that are newer than those that came
with Windows versions having system file protection.
PDW reboots to replace files, SFP (now WFP) then
puts back the old versions without informing the
end-user. (A Windows bug, really. Not a PDW problem.)
So PDW reboots again to update the file. Etc.
  There's no excuse for not knowing what files you
need to ship, regardless of what installer you use.
That's not the fault of the PDW.

**No system files are supposed to be shipped for any
system with SFP/WFP. The only approved way to get
them is via service pack.**

  If they're being shipped to accomodate Win9x they
should be shipped as the Win9x version.

| It is also written in VB so requires a two
| step install to install the runtimes

   Another misleading statement. It requires a reboot
on Win 95/98 if no VB6 software has ever been installed.
In other words, VB6 is, for all practical purposes,
dependency-free.

   If you don't want to bother with the PDW that's
perfectly understandable. It really should be updated
a bit, even if just to replace that old-fashioned splash
screen... And not everyone wants to take that trouble.
But if you don't really understand how the PDW works
then you shouldn't just throw out misinformation about
it being broken. You're just contributing to widespread
misconceptions.

  In short, the PDW is only broken for people who
don't take the trouble to understand what they're shipping.

0
Mayayana
9/6/2010 2:47:51 PM
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

>  In short, the PDW is only broken for people
> who don't take the trouble to understand what
> they're shipping.

.. . . and for girls who have a yearning to be a man ;-)

0
Mike
9/6/2010 3:51:10 PM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:47:58 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| Many things.
>| A Brief entry from: http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Setups
>
>| > VB PDW has various known issues installing where it can get stuck in
>| > a perpetual reboot loop. It is also written in VB so requires a two
>| > step install to install the runtimes, and then to run the real setup,
>| > often with a reboot in the middle. On top of that, it is not very
>| > customisable.
>|

>   You just have to learn how it works. It's entirely
>customizable because the source code is available
>and it's VB. How much more customizable could it get?

Which presents a seque to what IMHO is another advantage of getting to
know Setup1 (warts and all).

Many developers approach software installs as some kind of magic, when
if fact it is a very straight-forward process. I'm not in favor of
developers using script engines (such as InstallShield or Inno) right
off the bat. They make creating packages a little easier, but still
maintain the illusion of some black-box processing. It is useful to
spend a little time with Setup1 and running it in the IDE to just see
what is involved in installing software.

I still use P&D for most of my own installs. Recommend it for most
small shops. However, as it has been pointed out MSI has definite
advantages in larger shops and enterprise environments (where I too
use it), and if one is planning to go into the shrink-wrap business
InstallShield or one of the other more featured products are
definitely useful.

But amazingly P&D, for all its faults, just keeps chugging along. <bg>

-ralph
0
ralph
9/6/2010 5:40:16 PM
| >  In short, the PDW is only broken for people
| > who don't take the trouble to understand what
| > they're shipping.
|
| . . . and for girls who have a yearning to be a man ;-)

 I keep re-reading it, but.... it must be a Brit joke. :)

0
Mayayana
9/6/2010 9:55:38 PM
| I still use P&D for most of my own installs. Recommend it for most
| small shops. However, as it has been pointed out MSI has definite
| advantages in larger shops and enterprise environments (where I too
| use it), and if one is planning to go into the shrink-wrap business
| InstallShield or one of the other more featured products are
| definitely useful.

   I was actually talking to someone last week who's
in charge of installers for a large, well-known company.
She uses IS, but is in the process of converting custom
IS script actions to MSI actions, to take advantage of
MSI integration. That *does* seem to be very important
to corporate admins who have to do things like apply a
patch to software installs on hundreds of machines...
or do a rollback... or run an audit of what's installed.
All of that can be done with simple scripts, regardless of
installer used, but with MSI it's more systematic.

  Fortunately for me....or maybe unfortunately, come
to think of it....I don't get many corporate admins who
want to buy several hundred copies of anything. :)

0
Mayayana
9/6/2010 10:02:49 PM
> apply a patch to software installs on hundreds of machines...

You can do it with PsExec, and PDW if you wish, but you have to modify it so
it doesn't show a GUI, otherwise your setup program seems to hang, and the
user have to end the process. Example:

psexec \\* -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /MySetupSilentOption

This would install your software on all computers on a domain at once.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

0
Nobody
9/6/2010 10:21:19 PM
On 06/09/2010 15:47, Mayayana wrote:
> | Many things.
> | A Brief entry from: http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Setups
>
> |>  VB PDW has various known issues installing where it can get stuck in
> |>  a perpetual reboot loop. It is also written in VB so requires a two
> |>  step install to install the runtimes, and then to run the real setup,
> |>  often with a reboot in the middle. On top of that, it is not very
> |>  customisable.
> |

>     You just have to learn how it works. It's entirely
> customizable because the source code is available
> and it's VB. How much more customizable could it get?

Yeah, it was a mess when I last looked at it ~10 years ago so gave up :)

> | can get stuck in a perpetual reboot loop.
>
>    That makes it sound quirky and temperamental.
> It gets stuck in a reboot loop when people don't
> know what they're shipping and end up packaging
> system files that are newer than those that came
> with Windows versions having system file protection.
> PDW reboots to replace files, SFP (now WFP) then
> puts back the old versions without informing the
> end-user. (A Windows bug, really. Not a PDW problem.)
> So PDW reboots again to update the file. Etc.
>    There's no excuse for not knowing what files you
> need to ship, regardless of what installer you use.
> That's not the fault of the PDW.

Weren't these the files installed by the bootstrapper before it got to
the ones we'd selected?
Even so, it was in the list of files included by default.

> | It is also written in VB so requires a two
> | step install to install the runtimes
>
>     Another misleading statement. It requires a reboot
> on Win 95/98 if no VB6 software has ever been installed.
> In other words, VB6 is, for all practical purposes,
> dependency-free.

By two step, it is the bootstrapper to install some things, then the
main setup to install the rest. (Yes, I also dislike other setups that
have to install an installer first)

>     If you don't want to bother with the PDW that's
> perfectly understandable. It really should be updated
> a bit, even if just to replace that old-fashioned splash
> screen... And not everyone wants to take that trouble.
> But if you don't really understand how the PDW works
> then you shouldn't just throw out misinformation about
> it being broken. You're just contributing to widespread
> misconceptions.
>
>    In short, the PDW is only broken for people who
> don't take the trouble to understand what they're shipping.

That applies to everything, it's just MUCH easier to get a working
install out the box with other products.

The fact it needs extra effort and there is nothing telling them that
the install is 10+ years old and really should be updated is a
significant problem IMO.

But, as I've always said, if you have it working the way you want, then
fine :)
My page is aimed at people that don't have anything yet and are looking
for a quick and easy, supported and up to date method.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
9/7/2010 8:51:47 AM
| By two step, it is the bootstrapper to install some things, then the
| main setup to install the rest.

  I understood that. What I was saying was that that
doesn't apply anymore. You're right that the PDW adds
the runtime files by default, so people have to know
enough to remove them from the list. But they don't
need to be shipped. I've been using the PDW without
even any setup.exe for years. I probably get 50-150
downloads per day of some kind of VB software. (Almost
all of it free, unfortunately. :) Yet it's been many years
since anyone has written to complain that they have an
error message about MSVBVM60.DLL. If someone did,
I'd direct them to a download link.

  To my mind there's no excuse for not knowing the full
story on every file shipped, regardless of what the PDW
or anything else suggests. Every once in a while there's
a bad problem. There was one a few years back with
MSVCRT.DLL, for instance. I don't remember the details.
I think it was something about a mistakenly versioned v.7
that would replace the version on XP and wreak havoc.
And there have been problems with RichEdit versions. One
such problem has been planned around in the PDW code.
It was written to prevent replacing RichEdit v.1 on NT4.
....Etc.

| >    In short, the PDW is only broken for people who
| > don't take the trouble to understand what they're shipping.
|
| That applies to everything, it's just MUCH easier to get a working
| install out the box with other products.

   Do other products take care of that sort of thing?
Does Inno maintain a list of what files/versions can
go to what Windows versions? That would be a nice
feature. Though I'm not sure I really like the idea. It implies
that people who have no idea what they're doing could
pack an installer that would work fine on my PC. :)

0
Mayayana
9/7/2010 1:40:02 PM
On 07/09/2010 14:40, Mayayana wrote:
>    To my mind there's no excuse for not knowing the full
> story on every file shipped, regardless of what the PDW
> or anything else suggests.

I agree, that won't stop people trying though :)

> |>     In short, the PDW is only broken for people who
> |>  don't take the trouble to understand what they're shipping.
> |
> | That applies to everything, it's just MUCH easier to get a working
> | install out the box with other products.
>
>     Do other products take care of that sort of thing?
> Does Inno maintain a list of what files/versions can
> go to what Windows versions? That would be a nice
> feature. Though I'm not sure I really like the idea. It implies
> that people who have no idea what they're doing could
> pack an installer that would work fine on my PC. :)

It has a list of unsafe files (mainly OS specific DLLs), but then it
doesn't try and install them by default anyway :)

I'm happy to accept that PDW works fine, if you rewrite the setup,
remove a load of the auto included files, remove the bootstrapper, etc...

I also say that Inno works fine. :p

Maybe that is a bad thing if it allows people with no idea what they're
doing to create them.
This is why we always point out best practices in the Inno newsgroups,
but it is still down to them what they actually do...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
9/7/2010 2:17:29 PM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:03:04 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| I still use P&D for most of my own installs. Recommend it for most
>| small shops. However, as it has been pointed out MSI has definite
>| advantages in larger shops and enterprise environments (where I too
>| use it), and if one is planning to go into the shrink-wrap business
>| InstallShield or one of the other more featured products are
>| definitely useful.
>|

>   I was actually talking to someone last week who's
>in charge of installers for a large, well-known company.
>She uses IS, but is in the process of converting custom
>IS script actions to MSI actions, to take advantage of
>MSI integration. That *does* seem to be very important
>to corporate admins who have to do things like apply a
>patch to software installs on hundreds of machines...
>or do a rollback... or run an audit of what's installed.
>All of that can be done with simple scripts, regardless of
>installer used, but with MSI it's more systematic.

Let us not forget that still today, in a vast number of small and
medium shops (and an embarressing large number for IT purest),
sneaker-net is still the preferred method for installing and upgrading
software. <bg>

-ralph
0
ralph
9/7/2010 3:09:34 PM
  On 8/30/2010 10:31 PM, jerryys wrote:
> I would like to download a vb6 program to whomever requests it on the web. Is
> there a standard control, or app that can be called to accomplish this. It
> seems all downloads over the internet work similarly. A user requests the
> download of something, specifies where to store it and finally if they want
> to run the install on their computer. Where can I get this program?
>
> thank you for any advise.

I have another question concerning not the same issue, but the same
subject matter (PDW).

Does anyone know how to get PDW to check for an existing file if the
install is an update, and then not install the file on the user's
computer if it already exists?

This would be good for those who wish to create an updated version of
something but not want to overwrite an existing database which would be
included for those who have not installed this package before?  Or
prevent overwriting setup files used in the software, but needed to be
included in fresh installs?

I think this would be a good thing to know for anyone new to using PDW
as well as those who have used in in the past like me.  I haven't really
delved into the setup1 vb program to see what's happening in there, but
thought there may be a way to do this during wizard operations.

Thanks

0
Steve
9/8/2010 1:28:58 PM

"Steve Smith" <ab8yy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know how to get PDW to check for an existing file if the
> install is an update, and then not install the file on the user's computer
> if it already exists?
>
> This would be good for those who wish to create an updated version of
> something but not want to overwrite an existing database which would be
> included for those who have not installed this package before?  Or prevent
> overwriting setup files used in the software, but needed to be included in
> fresh installs?
>
> I think this would be a good thing to know for anyone new to using PDW as
> well as those who have used in in the past like me.  I haven't really
> delved into the setup1 vb program to see what's happening in there, but
> thought there may be a way to do this during wizard operations.

Nothing in the wizard itself for this.  The functionality is in the Setup1
program. If both files have version information, then the version numbers
are compared.  The distributed file is only copied if the version number
indicates it's more recent than the existing file. If there is no version
information for either file, then date stamps are compared. Other rules
apply if one file has version information and the other does not. Right
off-hand, I don't recall exactly what the "rules" are for that situation. I
think that's when you will always get an OK to overwrite prompt. What you
really need to do is open Setup1.vbp in VB6 and just start exploring the
source code.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
9/8/2010 1:58:10 PM

| Does anyone know how to get PDW to check for an existing file if the
| install is an update, and then not install the file on the user's
| computer if it already exists?

 Files are only installed if they're a later version, so you
could just update with earlier versions if that works. If you don't
have a versioned file you could edit the function CopySection
in setup1. The loop in
that function extracts files, gets the extension, etc. One of
the operations is to call SourceFileIsNewer, to see whether
a file being installed is newer than the existing copy. If the
file being installed has a later version than the existing it gets
installed. If there's no version number it checks the date. **

  You could replace the call to SourceFileIsNewer with a
FileExists function that would change the operation to
"if the file doesn't exist then install it".

   If you want to continue using the original setup1 without
further edits, just do that edit on a copy of the project and
compile it. Put it into a folder labelled "updater" or some
such. Put the original setup1 into a folder named "installer".
Then just swap out the copy in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\
before running the wizard.

** Note that the original code in setup1 contains an error.
The code in SourceFileIsNewer compares versions. If
there is no version it compares dates. The date check
is backward. The original code reads:

If sFile.varDate < datDest Then

It should read:

If sFile.varDate > datDest Then

 So if you want to update some files based on version,
but not update other files if a copy already exists, then
you need to be aware of the date check. I actually
rewrote that whole thing for my own purposes. The MS version
of SourceFileIsNewer is confusing. It uses a custom enum
of newer/older/same when it could have just used a boolean
value. It also adds in confusing names.
  For instance the constants fcNewer
and fcOlder are used. But then there's a double negative
switcheroo back in the CopySection function. fcNewer
becomes owNo and fcOlder becomes owYes! The meaning
goes from "is it newer?" to "should it be overwritten". It's
no wonder, in light of that, that the original authors got it
mixed up. (This explanation may sound confusing now, but
will be relevant if you edit setup1.)

0
Mayayana

programming 33 tabs with 1 chart on each, 9 series lines per chart
Hello, I'm a VBA beginner and I've tried the macro recording but it uses the activesheet. The examples I've found use named and/or contiguous ranges. They are not specific enough or too complicated, using arrays. Even though there is more code by explicitly programming, it is very clear. In an open workbook, Beginning at Sheet4 I need to add 33 tabs, name each tab create a line chart, no markers, on each tab insert 9 series with different colours, preferably specify dashes/dots, thickness etc. specify the data range for series each as six not contiguous cells ...

How to reconnect a named pipe when the client program been closed?
Hi , I have created a named pipe in server program,and client program connect it.When the client program been closed,a new client program can't reconnect it . How to solve the problem ? Thanks for help! ...

I don't have an excell program installed...how do I view when it .
I've done this before but I forgot how. How Do I view an e-mail with an attachment (excell spreadsheet). I've done this before without having the excell program Joe Download and install the Excel Viewer from.... http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx You will be able to view and print Excel worksheets. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:55:03 -0700, Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've done this before but I forgot how. How Do I view an e-mail with an >attachment (excell spreadsheet). I've done this before witho...

Account Settings
In the Change account settings window there is a drop-down titled Associated Frequent Flyer Program. Where do you create and manage these programs Look at the account register for that credit card. On the left hand pane, towrds the bottom, you'll find "Associate with a frequent flyer program". That should help you get the account setup. -- "JMGPublic" <JMGPublic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F6FBA6B-39B6-421A-9D7A-3771C0FDF60A@microsoft.com... > In the Change account settings window there is a drop-down titled > Associated >...

How to remove the Excel Program from Microsoft Office ?
How to remove a corrupted Excel program from my Microsoft Office 2000 Professional safely? Under the "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, I have been unable to just remove "Excel program" without removing the whole Microsoft Office 2000, because all office programs are listed as a group, not separately under the ADD/Remove Programs! Please advise. Thanks. Wei Shih When you choose add/remove programs, then click Office and Change, you are given a choice of which components of Office to add or remove. You can also choose to repair office to it's or...

Sending from other programs
When other programs send emails through Outlook XP, you first are prompted to allow access for a certain ammount of time, then asked if you would like to allow the email to be sent. Is there any way of turning this off? Thanks in advance. ...

Tracking down crashing during program quitting
I have recently added a significant subsystem to a commercial program we are working on. I find that after running one particular operation (lengthy, complex, and hard to debug), if I quit the program, there is always a crash on the way down. The crash always occurs in the destructor for CArray, which leads me to believe that one of my CArrays is not being handled right in some destructor somehwere. The trick is finding out which. Are there any techniques, or even 3rd party libraries that can be used to help track down problems like this? I've spent the last 7 years writing Java, and ...

Have a console in MFC Windows programming
When I used Visual C++ for windows programming Is it possible to create a console for debugging? >When I used Visual C++ for windows programming >Is it possible to create a console for debugging? Tony, Yes, it's possible. If you add the following code snippet to a Windows application, it'll pop up a console window that you can use: #include <fcntl.h> #include <io.h> #include <stdio.h> AllocConsole(); int hCrt; FILE *hf; hCrt = _open_osfhandle( (intptr_t) GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), _O_TEXT ); hf = _fdopen( hCrt, "w" ); *stdout = *hf;...

A program is trying to access e-mail addresses..."
Since installing the latest security upgrade for Office XP Professional, when I make any changes in Outlook with my iPAQ connected (ActiveSync 3.7.1), I get the following message: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook" This goes on to ask if I will opt to grant access or not. This does this with changes to other Outlook functions other than those having to do with "e-mail addresses" I have scanned for viruses. I have searched the knowledge base. Any suggestions? Thanks, John Albus Isn't it simply a matter of your pda...

A few basic questions for a newb coming from VB6
Hi All, Been away from programming for a while and just d/l'd the trial version of VS10 Pro and am playing around in VB. I've noticed more than a few differences between VB6 and VB10. That's OK though...we must evolve right? Here a few very basic things that have me stumped. I've looked in the documentation, but the examples are more "technical" than I think the answers call for. I'm hoping someone can help. I have a bunch of labels on a form that I want to write thru while iterating thru a loop. In VB6 this was easy with Control arrays. ...

publisher or paint program
I know almost knowing about graphic programs such as desktop publishing programs and paint programs or photo programs. Which is the reason for this very basic question; I need a little help to get started. I'm going to be designing a book cover that will be eventually be print on a commercial printer. It will have several graphics in it, which need to be set at 300 DPI, it will need and attractive title, a great background, it will need text boxes with words on the back cover, etc. And it will be saved as a PDF file. I'm not sure what the best program to use for something like t...

programing cells
I would like to progam a cell on a work sheet to automatically change the date once a week on Friday afternoon. The worksheet is a sign in sheet with the names of all employees. You could try an auto open macro, something like Public Sub Auto_Open() If Weekday(Date) = 6 Then Worksheets(1).Range("A1").Value = Format(Date,"dd mmm yyyy" End If End Sub -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "secureearl" <secureearl1@excite.com> wrote in message ...

Outlook 2000: New... e-Mail > Abnormal program termination
Hi NG, since yesterday (without known made changes) I have an error on my Outlook 2000, when I try to create a new message in a new window (or when I try to open an existing message in a new window): Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! [path to outlook.exe] abnormal program termination The preview of e-mail-content works good. When I try to make an e-mail via "Send to... Mail" a new message window of Outlook opens perfectly. What I tried: new installation of Office 2000 re-installation of SP4 for Windows 2000 My system: Windows 2000 SP4 and Office 2000 SP3. The er...

Outlook Not Default IE Program
I am running Outlook 2002 and when you go into IE settings under programs Outlook is not listed in e-mail settings all I can see is AOL hotmail and MSN explorer Can Anyone Help Michael Make sure you can open outlook. If you can open it, go to control panel - click internet properties (or internet) click progrmas tab and choose outlook as your default email. If you can not open outlook, you have other problems. >-----Original Message----- >I am running Outlook 2002 and when you go into IE >settings under programs Outlook is not listed in e-mail >settings all I can see...

cant install programs
help me my vista is not performing any new install -- DINESH4033 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DINESH4033's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239100.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1350249.htm http://forums.techarena.in http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoom?gwt=1&uid=861245328741743085&aid=1277940125&pid=1277965325844 orkut link for more details -- DINESH4033 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DINESH4033's Profile: http://fo...

program is not registered
Hello all, I've got a problem with a laptop using outlook 97. Whe the user starts outlook, the program responds with the following message: This program is not registered properly. Please run setup again. You don't have appropriate permissions to perform this operation. I don't know what the problem is and i can't find out what happens. I already checked a lot of things but i don't want to run setup again if i can help it. Please if anybody knows something the let me know. Thanx. ...

Monitor what programs get started by user.
Hi, I am wondering if it's possible for a vbs script to monitor anything the user loads, Then output it to a text file. thanks, Chris "Chris" <hildebrandchris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e9f33762-8e9f-4c17-81a1-1b8a129352d2@k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am wondering if it's possible for a vbs script to monitor anything > the user loads, Then output it to a text file. > > thanks, > Chris You're welcome Chris. ...

Printing small program
I am doing a favor for a friend and trying to print Wedding program. I would like to print on on the one side of the paper only so that the left side is blank. -- franny and? "franny" <franny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F078E1F2-F9D5-45FD-A3E5-DEC95EA072DF@microsoft.com... >I am doing a favor for a friend and trying to print Wedding program. I > would like to print on on the one side of the paper only so that the left > side is blank. -- > franny What is your question? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "franny...

How can I tranfer my data to my.swf in MFC program.?
I have my.swf and my.exe (MFC). I want to send to my.swf an data of my.exe. But I don't know it. Please tell me some idea.. (I want just simple flash/MFC code.. just...) On Mar 15, 7:07 am, "keandi" <kea...@lycos.co.kr> wrote: > I have my.swf and my.exe (MFC). > > I want to send to my.swf an data of my.exe. > But I don't know it. > > Please tell me some idea.. > > (I want just simple flash/MFC code.. just...) Post this in a .swf ng instead. See if ShockWave Flash object has an object model that you can use to do this. --- Ajay This mig...

ActiveX
I get the message "abnormal program termination" once it try to use a method implemented as protected. The method was build using the Wizard - Automation - Add Method. Void return type, and short as argument (or OLE_COLOR), I did not use any pointer as argument. So what should it be? thank you Mathieu ...

Is there something special about programming for Windows 2003 Server?
Hello, I've been testing the latest release of my products and the normal platforms will be Windows 2000 and above. We've found several iregularities that seem to occur just on Windows 2003 Server. For instance, we have some code that dynamically adds and removes menu items when CMainFrame::OnInitMenu is called. This code has worked since implementation around the Windows NT era and I've double checked that the code conforms to current MSDN examples on changing the menu. Under Windows 2003 Server the application loads and runs fine until menus are used. The mouse- over highlig...

Locking down a Program.
OK I am writing a program for a friend of mine as a favour. Her boss has dramatically increased her and coworkers reporting requirements without giving them any tools to do the job. This is my first Access Program. I want to lock down my code and prevent editing of the forms. What is the easiest way to do this? Depending on the version of MS Access you are working with, convert it to an mde or accde and distribute that. You retain the original mdb,accdb.... and then get a compiled version that they cannot edit. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www....

Can I expose all APIs invoked by a program?
Can I expose all APIs invoked by a program? hi, If you mean that you want to see all the apis that a particular program uses, then you can use a tool like dependency walker, which will give you the dlls that are loaded and the apis called within. I guess even dumpbin will give you that information hth gangadhar npk Marco wrote: > Can I expose all APIs invoked by a program? > > But not all APIs in the dlls were invoked! "gangadhar npk" <npkatgoogle@rediffmail.com> ???? news:3FB30EA3.5000807@rediffmail.com... > hi, > If you mean that you want t...

Free Tutorial website And Ebooks programing tutorials
Free Tutorial website And Ebooks programing tutorials http://www.365x24live.com Java Script Text Book http://www.365x24live.com/JavaScript/INDEX.HTM Applied Cryptography http://www.365x24live.com/Applied%20Cryptography/ewtoc.html Vb Script Text Book http://www.365x24live.com/vbscript/index.html CGI Programming text book http://www.365x24live.com/CGI%20Programming%20Unleashed/index.htm Java Text Book http://www.365x24live.com/java/index.html Programmer's Guide Nokia WAP Server API 1 http://www.365x24live.com/nokia/1.html Aptitude Questions http://www.365x24live.com/aptitude/index.htm...

A program is trying to access e-mail addresses... which one?!?!?!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C4F40B.08833290 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I am getting the following in Outlook 2002 SP3: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in = Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a = virus and you should choose "No". How do I determine which program is trying to access my addresses? This = appears everytime I make a new message and most of the time reading = existing ones. I rea...