Date formatting problem.....

Hi All,

I use the following code to create a string containing the current date.

Dim sDate As String
sDate = Format(Date$, "mmm d, yyyy")

This code works fine here in the US, but a user in the UK is reporting
that it's giving incorrect results. For example, on Nov. 5th, 2009, this
code creates the string 'May 11, 2009' on the UK machine. Obviously, the
code is confusing the month (11) and the day (5) and transposing them.

I've played with this a bit, but haven't found a solution. Suggestions?

Thanks,

John
0
John

Nobody wrote:

> "John Morley" <jmorley@nospamanalysistech.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I use the following code to create a string containing the current date.
>>
>>Dim sDate As String
>>sDate = Format(Date$, "mmm d, yyyy")
>>
>>This code works fine here in the US, but a user in the UK is reporting
>>that it's giving incorrect results. For example, on Nov. 5th, 2009, this
>>code creates the string 'May 11, 2009' on the UK machine. Obviously, the
>>code is confusing the month (11) and the day (5) and transposing them.
>>
>>I've played with this a bit, but haven't found a solution. Suggestions?
>

> You are using Date$ function, which returns a short US date String. Use
> Date() function which returns a variant containing a Date, which is more
> reliable. So in your code you are converting one string to another, not Date
> to String data type.

Hi,

Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem!

John
0
John
11/5/2009 8:45:06 PM
"John Morley" <jmorley@nospamanalysistech.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I use the following code to create a string containing the current date.
>
> Dim sDate As String
> sDate = Format(Date$, "mmm d, yyyy")
>
> This code works fine here in the US, but a user in the UK is reporting
> that it's giving incorrect results. For example, on Nov. 5th, 2009, this
> code creates the string 'May 11, 2009' on the UK machine. Obviously, the
> code is confusing the month (11) and the day (5) and transposing them.
>
> I've played with this a bit, but haven't found a solution. Suggestions?

You are using Date$ function, which returns a short US date String. Use
Date() function which returns a variant containing a Date, which is more
reliable. So in your code you are converting one string to another, not Date
to String data type.

0
Nobody
11/16/2009 4:53:28 PM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
> You are using Date$ function, which returns a short US date String.

Make that a long US date String.

0
Nobody

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

Problem with CFTPConnection

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Date display in Excel

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

Format for credit card numbers

request to solve my problem #5

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

date function #3

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

difficult format
I want to format a code like this: ##.0001.## so then i push it down and gives me 0002 and so on, the other ## r numbers. The problem is that when i do that, it sums in the last two numbers instead of what i want, so i ask if it is possible to format like this: (text)##.(number)0001.(text)## so it guives me the sum of number then do what i want. if it is possible how ca i do that? Thanks You can try this, starting in row 1: ="##."&TEXT(ROW(),"0000")&".##" You'll have to adjust the "Row()" number when starting in any other row. For example,...

Formula to display nearest following Thursday in mm/dd/yyyy format
Hello, I have been reading and trying different suggestions here to no avail. What I need is a formula to calculate the nearest following thursday, and display it in mm/dd/yyyy format. To be clear, I have a column of varying dates. I need a formula to return the next thursday for each of those dates. To illustrate, say I have 05/22/2010, 05/23/201, 05/24/2010, & 05/26/2010 in cells A1 through A4. In cells B1 through B4, I would like to see 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, & 05/27/2010 representing the following thursday. Thank you for your help! BW T...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)