Can we use Shell to write file properties

Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?

I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
appreciated!

--
Garry

GS

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
>Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>
>I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
>component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
>appreciated!

For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.

But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
portable.

If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
<g>

-ralph
0
ralph
8/19/2010 4:11:42 PM
on 8/19/2010, ralph supposed :
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
>> Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
>> component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
>> appreciated!
>
> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>
> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
> portable.
>
> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
> <g>
>
> -ralph

Thanks ralph!
You are correct in your assertion about extended properties.
Specifically, I'm after a means to read/write NTFS SummaryProperties,
which is what dsofile/dwprop do. Since they both use WinAPI for this I
was curious if anyone has a VB version.

I already use both COMs as dsofile won't write Title in all cases if
the other props are blank, so dwprop does this unconditionally. Also,
dwprop doesn't treat Category as a SummaryProperty and so I have to use
dsofile to write that.

I would be nice to have a single solution so I don't have to use/ship
both components. I actually do not need to read these props so much as
be able to write them when a user's FS is NTFS.

--
Garry

GS
8/19/2010 4:40:54 PM
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:40:54 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>You are correct in your assertion about extended properties.
>Specifically, I'm after a means to read/write NTFS SummaryProperties,
>which is what dsofile/dwprop do. Since they both use WinAPI for this I
>was curious if anyone has a VB version.
>
>I already use both COMs as dsofile won't write Title in all cases if
>the other props are blank, so dwprop does this unconditionally. Also,
>dwprop doesn't treat Category as a SummaryProperty and so I have to use
>dsofile to write that.
>
>I would be nice to have a single solution so I don't have to use/ship
>both components. I actually do not need to read these props so much as
>be able to write them when a user's FS is NTFS.

Yep it sure would be handy.

If your product is to be used with any Office product, dsoFile is
probably already there.

I probably should expand on why I said most roll-ur-own solutions work
poorly, it is because the extended properties are stored as binary, so
you have to encode going in and decode coming out. This makes creating
your own OSFA "dsoFile.dll" a bit of a pain - BUT since you have very
limited objectives you may have better success.

-ralph
0
ralph
8/19/2010 6:57:35 PM
ralph used his keyboard to write :
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:40:54 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> You are correct in your assertion about extended properties.
>> Specifically, I'm after a means to read/write NTFS SummaryProperties,
>> which is what dsofile/dwprop do. Since they both use WinAPI for this I
>> was curious if anyone has a VB version.
>>
>> I already use both COMs as dsofile won't write Title in all cases if
>> the other props are blank, so dwprop does this unconditionally. Also,
>> dwprop doesn't treat Category as a SummaryProperty and so I have to use
>> dsofile to write that.
>>
>> I would be nice to have a single solution so I don't have to use/ship
>> both components. I actually do not need to read these props so much as
>> be able to write them when a user's FS is NTFS.
>
> Yep it sure would be handy.
>
> If your product is to be used with any Office product, dsoFile is
> probably already there.

So far, I have always needed to ship dsofile for the Excel addin
version of my app, so I don't think it ships with M$O. In fact, AFAIK
Microsoft doesn't support this DLL even though there's an entire
website/forum for it.<??>

> I probably should expand on why I said most roll-ur-own solutions work
> poorly, it is because the extended properties are stored as binary, so
> you have to encode going in and decode coming out. This makes creating
> your own OSFA "dsoFile.dll" a bit of a pain - BUT since you have very
> limited objectives you may have better success.

In my case I'd only have to write if the FS is NTFS. My apps don't read
the SummaryProperties and so I guess it would just be a one-way deal.

The only purpose for using these file props is for the convenience of
users being able to view them in Windows Explorer on pre-Win6 OSs.
Otherwise, I've been providing a VBExplorer version (based on Brad
Marinez's sample project) replacement for WE with my XL addin that
displays these in its listview. The VB6.exe doesn't need this because
it uses a 3rd party explorer tv/lv control set that I can program to
the nines. These apps are for managing cnc program files (plain text)
and the props are embedded in the file contents, but I also write them
to the file properties if they're stored on NTFS volumes so they can be
viewed without a special explorer. (Both the VBExplorer and the VB6.exe
read this info directly from the file contents so they work on any
storage media)

AFAIK, these can't be viewed in WE on Win6> OSs because WE doesn't
display the columns like it does in earlier Win vers.

--
Garry

GS
8/19/2010 7:53:41 PM
On Aug 19, 10:11=A0am, ralph <nt_consultin...@yahoo.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesan...@netscape.net> wrote:
> >Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
> >Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>
> >I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
> >component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
> >appreciated!
>
> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>
> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
> portable.
>
> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
> <g>
>
> -ralph

Well...  If your talking about ADS (alternative data streams), you can
manage them via the Win32 api....

Enumerating ADS:  Look at BackupRead and BackupSeek (on Vista and
above you can use FindFirstFirstStreamW and FindNextStreamW)

To actually read/write/create them you will probably have to resort to
CreateFile, ReadFile, and WriteFile.

--
Tom Shelton
0
On Aug 19, 10:11=A0am, ralph <nt_consultin...@yahoo.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesan...@netscape.net> wrote:
> >Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
> >Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>
> >I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
> >component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
> >appreciated!
>
> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>
> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
> portable.
>
> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
> <g>
>
> -ralph

Oh... and one other thing :)  When you use CreateFile/ReadFile/
WriteFile/OpenFile etc....  The path to the stream is path-to-main-
file:mystreamname.

So, for instance if I have a text file dumb.txt and I want to add an
idiot.txt as a ADS, the name of the stream would be
dumb.txt:idiot.txt.   I hope that makes sense?

--
Tom Shelton
0
ralph used his keyboard to write :
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
>> Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
>> component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
>> appreciated!
>
> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>
> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
> portable.
>
> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
> <g>
>
> -ralph

Actually, I just did a little playing - and it appears you can manage
custom ADS streams in VB6 using the built in File IO...  At least the
reading and writing part...

Open "dummy.txt" For Output As #1
Open "dummy.txt:mystream.txt" For Output As #2

Write #1, "some stuff"
Write #2, "alternate stuff"

Close #2
Close #1

Open "dummy.txt:mystream.txt" For Input As #1
Dim s As String
Line Input #1, s
MsgBox s
Close #1

Works fine.  dummy.txt:mystream.txt is not visible form dir from the
commandline or in explorer.  If I do:

notepad dummy.txt:mystream.txt

at the command line the file is found and opend.  If I delete
dummy.txt, then dummy.txt:mystream.txt is also deleted.  The standard
vb kill will also kill the stream as well.

I did fine though, dir will not enumerate the stream - so, you can't
use dir to iterate streams - you would still need the
BackupRead/BackupSeek api's to iterate streams on the file...

By the way, I only put the .txt extension on the stream file so that I
could get notepad to open - because otherwise it kept trying to take on
the .txt and wouldn't find the stream :)

HTH

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/19/2010 10:23:21 PM
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
:
: Actually, I just did a little playing - and it appears you can manage
: custom ADS streams in VB6 using the built in File IO...  At least the
: reading and writing part...

Or, instead of listening to some chump who is frowned upon by this community
for his trolling and MSFT evengelism, you could always look at a sample
written by a reputable member of the classic vb community who actually put
some real time and effort into the project.

I think the choice is clear.

--
The *real* Tom Shelton:  I dont' care what you say or think.  I will post
any response anywhere I see fit.  So, FOAD.

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 10:31:03 PM
Tom Shelton was thinking very hard :
> On Aug 19, 10:11�am, ralph <nt_consultin...@yahoo.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:28 -0400, GS <gesan...@netscape.net> wrote:
>>> Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
>>> Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>>> I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
>>> component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
>>> appreciated!
>>
>> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
>> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>>
>> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
>> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
>> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
>> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
>> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
>> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
>> portable.
>>
>> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
>> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
>> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
>> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
>> <g>
>>
>> -ralph
>
> Oh... and one other thing :)  When you use CreateFile/ReadFile/
> WriteFile/OpenFile etc....  The path to the stream is path-to-main-
> file:mystreamname.
>
> So, for instance if I have a text file dumb.txt and I want to add an
> idiot.txt as a ADS, the name of the stream would be
> dumb.txt:idiot.txt.   I hope that makes sense?

Ok Tom, thanks for the input. I understand this ADS concept from prior
readings on streams and related material. These are not what I want
because earlier than Win6 vers's WE can't display this info via the
optional columns available. Thus, I need to stick with the
SummaryProperties because the embedded value pairs are named
accordingly (ie: Title=,Author=,Subject=,Category=,Keyword=,Comment=)
and so I want to maintain consistency.

--
Garry

GS
8/19/2010 10:33:45 PM
Kevin Provance used his keyboard to write :
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Actually, I just did a little playing - and it appears you can manage
>> custom ADS streams in VB6 using the built in File IO...  At least the
>> reading and writing part...
>
> Or, instead of listening to some chump who is frowned upon by this community
> for his trolling and MSFT evengelism, you could always look at a sample
> written by a reputable member of the classic vb community who actually put
> some real time and effort into the project.
>
> I think the choice is clear.

Kevin, where can I find such a sample? I've scoured my usual sources
and found nothing that suggests a VB version of dsofile or dwprop!

--
Garry

GS
8/19/2010 10:38:10 PM
GS pretended :
> Tom Shelton was thinking very hard :
>>>
>>> For general properties such as date and attributes take a look at
>>> SetFileTime and SetFileAttributes.
>>>
>>> But I think you are after the extend properties (alternate data
>>> streams). Is that correct? If so then you are better off using dso or
>>> dwProp. I've never seen a reliable way of doing it in VB, not to say
>>> one doesn't exist. (After all you can do some writing with a batch
>>> file.) Also consider that these data streams are slightly different on
>>> different O/Ss so using these components will make your app more
>>> portable.
>>>
>>> If it is for a production or shrinkwrap app, use the components - your
>>> life will be easier. If you have an overwhelming need to not use them,
>>> or you just want to play with the idea - then stay tuned, I'm sure
>>> someone will be along with a robust method to make a liar out of me.
>>> <g>
>>>
>>> -ralph
>>
>> Oh... and one other thing :)  When you use CreateFile/ReadFile/
>> WriteFile/OpenFile etc....  The path to the stream is path-to-main-
>> file:mystreamname.
>>
>> So, for instance if I have a text file dumb.txt and I want to add an
>> idiot.txt as a ADS, the name of the stream would be
>> dumb.txt:idiot.txt.   I hope that makes sense?
>
> Ok Tom, thanks for the input. I understand this ADS concept from prior
> readings on streams and related material. These are not what I want because
> earlier than Win6 vers's WE can't display this info via the optional columns
> available. Thus, I need to stick with the SummaryProperties because the
> embedded value pairs are named accordingly (ie:
> Title=,Author=,Subject=,Category=,Keyword=,Comment=) and so I want to
> maintain consistency.

Ok...  So what your really after is the information in the summary
tab...  Got it.

That is implemented via a COM interface IPropertySetStorage - you can
get a hold of this via the StgOpenStorageEx function.  I would have to
play with it a bit though - as I haven't actually tried to manipulate
the standard stream.  I'll play around a bit more and see if I can make
this work.

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/19/2010 10:47:26 PM
"GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
:
: Kevin, where can I find such a sample? I've scoured my usual sources
: and found nothing that suggests a VB version of dsofile or dwprop!
:

Sorry, the C&P didn't make it.  Here you go:
http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/

0
Kevin
8/19/2010 10:49:30 PM
After serious thinking Tom Shelton wrote :
> GS pretended :
>> Tom Shelton was thinking very hard :

>>> Oh... and one other thing :)  When you use CreateFile/ReadFile/
>>> WriteFile/OpenFile etc....  The path to the stream is path-to-main-
>>> file:mystreamname.
>>>
>>> So, for instance if I have a text file dumb.txt and I want to add an
>>> idiot.txt as a ADS, the name of the stream would be
>>> dumb.txt:idiot.txt.   I hope that makes sense?
>>
>> Ok Tom, thanks for the input. I understand this ADS concept from prior
>> readings on streams and related material. These are not what I want because
>> earlier than Win6 vers's WE can't display this info via the optional
>> columns available. Thus, I need to stick with the SummaryProperties because
>> the embedded value pairs are named accordingly (ie:
>> Title=,Author=,Subject=,Category=,Keyword=,Comment=) and so I want to
>> maintain consistency.
>
> Ok...  So what your really after is the information in the summary tab...
> Got it.
>
> That is implemented via a COM interface IPropertySetStorage - you can get a
> hold of this via the StgOpenStorageEx function.  I would have to play with it
> a bit though - as I haven't actually tried to manipulate the standard stream.
>  I'll play around a bit more and see if I can make this work.

Well...   It looks like using IPropertySetStorage and IPropertyStorage
are actually problematic in VB6.  They are not dual interfaces - in
other words they don't implement IDispatch.  So, to use them you would
have to write a VB friendly typelib or find one...  And then use them
in conjuction with the various StgOpenStorageEx functions.

AFICT, that would be the only universal solution to the problem.

Interesting problem...  I might have to see if I can dust off my old
typelib generating skills (assuming I can't find one) and give it a
whirl :)

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/19/2010 11:22:24 PM
Kevin Provance explained :
> "GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Kevin, where can I find such a sample? I've scoured my usual sources
>> and found nothing that suggests a VB version of dsofile or dwprop!
>>

> Sorry, the C&P didn't make it.  Here you go:
> http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/

Hi Kevin,
Thanks! I actually looked at this some time ago. It's about ADS, which
can't be displayed in Windows Explorer; -not suitable for my
application.

Mind you, since these SummaryProperties can no longer be viewed in WE
(Win6x +) I may drop this altogether. That's not to say that they can't
be written in the newer OSs so they can be viewed on earlier vers. I'll
look into this on my Win7 machine just to verify that the FS supports
these props even though they won't let us view them in WE. I expect
they will persist since they're indiginous to NTFS, but ya' never know
what M$ has done there until you test!

--
Garry

GS
8/19/2010 11:38:05 PM
"Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote in message
> "GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> :
> : Kevin, where can I find such a sample? I've scoured my
> : usual sources and found nothing that suggests a VB
> : version of dsofile or dwprop!
>
> Sorry, the C&P didn't make it.  Here you go:
> http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/

That's the same one Shelton looked at just before he posted a small
obfuscated sample.

Mike

0
Mike
8/20/2010 9:04:24 AM
On Aug 19, 5:22=A0pm, Tom Shelton <tom_shel...@comcast.invalid> wrote:
> After serious thinking Tom Shelton wrote :
>

> > GS pretended :
> >> Tom Shelton was thinking very hard :

> >> Ok Tom, thanks for the input. I understand this ADS concept from prior
> >> readings on streams and related material. These are not what I want be=
cause
> >> earlier than Win6 vers's WE can't display this info via the optional
> >> columns available. Thus, I need to stick with the SummaryProperties be=
cause
> >> the embedded value pairs are named accordingly (ie:
> >> Title=3D,Author=3D,Subject=3D,Category=3D,Keyword=3D,Comment=3D) and s=
o I want to
> >> maintain consistency.
>
> > Ok... =A0So what your really after is the information in the summary ta=
b... =A0
> > Got it.
>
> > That is implemented via a COM interface IPropertySetStorage - you can g=
et a
> > hold of this via the StgOpenStorageEx function. =A0I would have to play=
 with it
> > a bit though - as I haven't actually tried to manipulate the standard s=
tream.
> > =A0I'll play around a bit more and see if I can make this work.
>
> Well... =A0 It looks like using IPropertySetStorage and IPropertyStorage
> are actually problematic in VB6. =A0They are not dual interfaces - in
> other words they don't implement IDispatch. =A0So, to use them you would
> have to write a VB friendly typelib or find one... =A0And then use them
> in conjuction with the various StgOpenStorageEx functions.
>
> AFICT, that would be the only universal solution to the problem.
>
> Interesting problem... =A0I might have to see if I can dust off my old
> typelib generating skills (assuming I can't find one) and give it a
> whirl :)
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

Well, it looks like Edanmo already solved this problem.

http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

On that page you will find the necessary typelib and a sample of usage
- "Using Structured Storage Files".   I have not run the sample, but I
did browse the code and he is using the StgXXXStorageEx functions and
there is a class that gets the properties (Author, Comments, etc), so
it does appear to be partly what you want anyway...

--
Tom Shelton
0
On Aug 20, 3:04=A0am, "Mike Williams" <M...@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:
> "Kevin Provance" <k...@p.c> wrote in message

> > "GS" <gesan...@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > :
> > : Kevin, where can I find such a sample? I've scoured my
> > : usual sources and found nothing that suggests a VB
> > : version of dsofile or dwprop!
>
> > Sorry, the C&P didn't make it. =A0Here you go:
> >http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/
>
> That's the same one Shelton looked at just before he posted a small
> obfuscated sample.
>
> Mike

Nope...  Figured it out on  my own.  It wasn't a huge leap from, "hey
i can create these things with notepad on the command line, to hey,
maybe I'll just try it out".  I already new the basics of this, as I
have used them in the past in C#...

And before you jump on me, the reason I even mention C#, is that in
this instance, the advantage goes to VB 6.  It's actually slightly
easier to work with ADS in VB6 then C#...  The reason is that the .net
io classes check for illegal characters in file names, and : is
considered an illegal character - which is stupid, IMHO, because they
are not illegal, they just have special meaning...  But, the fact is
that the IO classes disallow all special meaning characters (like \\?\
for greater the max_path path's) - so, you can't open these sort of
files using the standard I/O mechanisms of .NET.  You have to use P/
Invoke to use CreateFileEx to get a system handle, wrap that in a
safehandle, and then pass that to the i/o stream's constructor....
After that, everything is normal -  but, initialization is a pain....

--
Tom Shelton
0

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcast.net> wrote in message

<cut>

Did any ask about that other platform that is off topic here?  Mike?  GS?
No? I didn't think so.

Any excuse, right Skelton?  No one bloody asked, so what's your excuse this
time?

One of these days I'm going to have to give Barb a call and find out if you
were like this growing up - a real pain in the balls who defied authority
and thrust his will in places where it wasn't wanted.

--

- K

The *real* Tom Shelton:  I dont' care what you say or think.  I will post
any response anywhere I see fit.  So, FOAD. (Is that the Ingenix mission
statement?)

0
Kevin
8/20/2010 3:12:17 PM
> Well, it looks like Edanmo already solved this problem.
>
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
> On that page you will find the necessary typelib and a sample of usage
> - "Using Structured Storage Files".   I have not run the sample, but I
> did browse the code and he is using the StgXXXStorageEx functions and
> there is a class that gets the properties (Author, Comments, etc), so
> it does appear to be partly what you want anyway...

Thanks Tom!
This looks very interesting as it appears I'd only have to dist 1 lib.
I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes...

--
Garry

GS
8/20/2010 6:36:37 PM
Bummer! It doesn't work 'as is'. (Won't write Summary props) It fails
somewhere in the 'required' olelib.tlb.<$%&&*>

--
Garry

GS
8/20/2010 9:07:13 PM
GS laid this down on his screen :
> Bummer! It doesn't work 'as is'. (Won't write Summary props) It fails
> somewhere in the 'required' olelib.tlb.<$%&&*>

Hmmm... Did you grab olelib.tlb?  I think that's the first thing on the
link.  And you won't have to actually distribute the typelib, just
reference it an compile.

Though, there could be something wrong - like I said, I didn't actually
run the sample :)  I see if I can take a look at it latter.

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/21/2010 12:02:18 AM
Tom Shelton explained :
> GS laid this down on his screen :
>> Bummer! It doesn't work 'as is'. (Won't write Summary props) It fails
>> somewhere in the 'required' olelib.tlb.<$%&&*>
>
> Hmmm... Did you grab olelib.tlb?  I think that's the first thing on the link.
>  And you won't have to actually distribute the typelib, just reference it an
> compile.
>
> Though, there could be something wrong - like I said, I didn't actually run
> the sample :)  I see if I can take a look at it latter.

Actually, I'm running the test project vbg. I did grab the olelib.tlb
and put it in the same folder as the vbg.

--
Garry

GS
8/21/2010 2:46:44 AM
GS wrote:

> Actually, I'm running the test project vbg. I did grab the olelib.tlb
> and put it in the same folder as the vbg.

Did you register the type library with regtlib.exe?
0
Jason
8/21/2010 4:50:32 AM
"Jason Keats" <jkeats@melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> wrote in message
:
: Did you register the type library with regtlib.exe?

The easiest way to accomplish this is to find that file via the VB
references window, using the BROWSE button.  Once selected and OK is
clicked, the file is registered for you.  At least that's been my
experience.

0
Kevin
8/21/2010 5:34:25 AM
on 8/20/2010, Jason Keats supposed :
> GS wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I'm running the test project vbg. I did grab the olelib.tlb
>> and put it in the same folder as the vbg.
>>

> Did you register the type library with regtlib.exe?

Good point, Jason...

GS - the typelib should be extracted to your system32 folder, and then
registered with regtlib.exe as Jason says.

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/21/2010 5:34:43 AM
> Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
> Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>
> I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
> component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
> appreciated!

See this sample

0
Nobody
8/21/2010 9:54:22 AM
"GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Just to follow through on a previous post "How to get the File
> Properties", is there a way to write these properties using Shell?
>
> I'm looking for a way to do this without having to use an external
> component such as DsoFile.dll or dwProp.dll. Any suggestions are
> appreciated!

Sorry, clicked Send too soon. See this sample if you want to see and
manipulate alternate data streams:

http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/

0
Nobody
8/21/2010 9:57:57 AM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
:
: Sorry, clicked Send too soon. See this sample if you want to see and
: manipulate alternate data streams:
:
: http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Streams/
:

In case you are not keeping up, I posted that a few days back.

0
Kevin
8/21/2010 3:06:18 PM
Yes, the olelib.tlb is registered. Otherwise, would it not be flagged
as "MISSING!"?

--
Garry

GS
8/21/2010 5:59:07 PM
It appears that XP is the last NTFS OS that supports the
SummaryInformation data that could be viewed on the 'Summary' tab of a
file's Properties dialog.

--
Garry

GS
8/23/2010 4:05:23 PM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:05:23 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>It appears that XP is the last NTFS OS that supports the
>SummaryInformation data that could be viewed on the 'Summary' tab of a
>file's Properties dialog.

Doesn't surprise me.

ADS and 'Versioning' have always been mucky subjects, with the main
issue being no one clear or consistent method.

Explorer itself works its magic by using various 'addons' or services
- most of which can be employed by developers for their own uses, but
are poorly documented and just as poorly tailored for "universal" use.
(In some cases looking like ad hoc hacks.)

You will also run into the problem that fewer VBers went there,
finding that simply using the utilities provided for specific products
works 'well enough' most of the time. If you really want to get into
all the ins and outs of ADS/Versioning you need to brush off your VC++
and system skills and get ready to do a ton of online mining. But
worse, also be prepared for it to break with the next release. <bg>

-ralph
0
ralph
8/23/2010 8:21:48 PM
"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message
:
: Doesn't surprise me.
:
: ADS and 'Versioning' have always been mucky subjects, with the main
: issue being no one clear or consistent method.
:
: Explorer itself works its magic by using various 'addons' or services
: - most of which can be employed by developers for their own uses, but
: are poorly documented and just as poorly tailored for "universal" use.
: (In some cases looking like ad hoc hacks.)
:
: You will also run into the problem that fewer VBers went there,
: finding that simply using the utilities provided for specific products
: works 'well enough' most of the time. If you really want to get into
: all the ins and outs of ADS/Versioning you need to brush off your VC++
: and system skills and get ready to do a ton of online mining. But
: worse, also be prepared for it to break with the next release. <bg>

I think I read someplace Windows added ADS for compatibility with Mac file
formatting when used in conjunction with portable drives and media.

0
Kevin
8/23/2010 8:46:56 PM
ralph pretended :
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:05:23 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> It appears that XP is the last NTFS OS that supports the
>> SummaryInformation data that could be viewed on the 'Summary' tab of a
>> file's Properties dialog.
>
> Doesn't surprise me.
>
> ADS and 'Versioning' have always been mucky subjects, with the main
> issue being no one clear or consistent method.
>
> Explorer itself works its magic by using various 'addons' or services
> - most of which can be employed by developers for their own uses, but
> are poorly documented and just as poorly tailored for "universal" use.
> (In some cases looking like ad hoc hacks.)
>
> You will also run into the problem that fewer VBers went there,
> finding that simply using the utilities provided for specific products
> works 'well enough' most of the time. If you really want to get into
> all the ins and outs of ADS/Versioning you need to brush off your VC++
> and system skills and get ready to do a ton of online mining. But
> worse, also be prepared for it to break with the next release. <bg>
>
> -ralph

I'm not sure what you think is so hard about it?  ADS, in and of it
self is simply a specially named file.  If you are reading and writing
custom information to ADS, then there is nothing at all difficult...

The problems come in when dealing with other peoples streams - such as
those used to store the summary file infromation :)

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
8/23/2010 9:12:52 PM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:12:52 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_shelton@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>ralph pretended :
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:05:23 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that XP is the last NTFS OS that supports the
>>> SummaryInformation data that could be viewed on the 'Summary' tab of a
>>> file's Properties dialog.
>>
>> Doesn't surprise me.
>>
>> ADS and 'Versioning' have always been mucky subjects, with the main
>> issue being no one clear or consistent method.
>>
>> Explorer itself works its magic by using various 'addons' or services
>> - most of which can be employed by developers for their own uses, but
>> are poorly documented and just as poorly tailored for "universal" use.
>> (In some cases looking like ad hoc hacks.)
>>
>> You will also run into the problem that fewer VBers went there,
>> finding that simply using the utilities provided for specific products
>> works 'well enough' most of the time. If you really want to get into
>> all the ins and outs of ADS/Versioning you need to brush off your VC++
>> and system skills and get ready to do a ton of online mining. But
>> worse, also be prepared for it to break with the next release. <bg>
>>
>> -ralph
>
>I'm not sure what you think is so hard about it?  ADS, in and of it
>self is simply a specially named file.  If you are reading and writing
>custom information to ADS, then there is nothing at all difficult...
>
>The problems come in when dealing with other peoples streams - such as
>those used to store the summary file infromation :)

Tah Dah! Now you got it.

-ralph
<g>
0
ralph
8/23/2010 9:48:41 PM
Tom Shelton wrote on 8/23/2010 :
> ralph pretended :
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:05:23 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that XP is the last NTFS OS that supports the
>>> SummaryInformation data that could be viewed on the 'Summary' tab of a
>>> file's Properties dialog.
>>
>> Doesn't surprise me.
>>
>> ADS and 'Versioning' have always been mucky subjects, with the main
>> issue being no one clear or consistent method.
>>
>> Explorer itself works its magic by using various 'addons' or services
>> - most of which can be employed by developers for their own uses, but
>> are poorly documented and just as poorly tailored for "universal" use.
>> (In some cases looking like ad hoc hacks.)
>>
>> You will also run into the problem that fewer VBers went there,
>> finding that simply using the utilities provided for specific products
>> works 'well enough' most of the time. If you really want to get into
>> all the ins and outs of ADS/Versioning you need to brush off your VC++
>> and system skills and get ready to do a ton of online mining. But
>> worse, also be prepared for it to break with the next release. <bg>
>>
>> -ralph
>
> I'm not sure what you think is so hard about it?  ADS, in and of it self is
> simply a specially named file.  If you are reading and writing custom
> information to ADS, then there is nothing at all difficult...
>
> The problems come in when dealing with other peoples streams - such as those
> used to store the summary file infromation :)

Sadly, it's the SummaryInformation data that my app uses. I'll continue
to write these properties with dwProp.dll and DsoFile.dll for awhile
yet since many users still have XP machines. I added special treatment
of this for NTFS volumes on OS6 or higher so they don't get written and
the error notification doesn't display. (I use a custom error handler
that graciously notifies users if writing properties generates any
errors)

--
Garry

GS
8/23/2010 9:51:12 PM
Thanks to all for your input on this topic! The resulting decision is
that I'll stick with using dwProp.dll and DsoFile.dll while XP persists
to be the major OS with my users.

As reported, the SummaryInformation is no longer supported by Win6/7
and so it looks like I'll eventually drop writing these properties. My
app reads the same values directly from the file contents and so
providing this info in the form of SummaryProperties is only a
convenience to the user to obviate the need for licensing multiple
installs of my app. Gee.., this might result in having to
sell/distribute more seat licenses!<g>

--
Garry

GS
8/23/2010 9:58:18 PM
GS submitted this idea :
> Mind you, since these SummaryProperties can no longer be viewed in WE (Win6x
> +) I may drop this altogether. That's not to say that they can't be written
> in the newer OSs so they can be viewed on earlier vers. I'll look into this
> on my Win7 machine just to verify that the FS supports these props even
> though they won't let us view them in WE. I expect they will persist since
> they're indiginous to NTFS, but ya' never know what M$ has done there until
> you test!

If I understand what you're looking for, I see them (Windows 7 x64) in
the file's Properties-Details tab?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
9/3/2010 8:42:20 PM
> If I understand what you're looking for, I see them (Windows 7 x64) in the
> file's Properties-Details tab?

Those would be the ADS CustomProperties everyone is talking about. The
issue is that they won't display in WE's optional columns as the
SummaryProperties do in XP because the OS NTFS doesn't support the
SummaryProperties.

The advantage to displaying these in WE is so my user doesn't require
running the app. Otherwise, all they see in the WE listview is the
default data. Not very helpful when looking for a specific file if all
that identifies it is its non-descriptive filename. Keep in mind that
these CNC prog files are just plain text files, usually numeric named,
and typically will not have file extensions.

Example filenames:

  O0001
  O0002
  O0100
  O0101

My app reads/writes these into the file contents so they follow with
the file to non-NTFS volumes. Writing them to NTFS SummaryProperties is
only a convenience for my users.<g>

--
Garry

GS
9/3/2010 11:55:20 PM
GS wrote on 9/3/2010 :
>> If I understand what you're looking for, I see them (Windows 7 x64) in the
>> file's Properties-Details tab?
>
> Those would be the ADS CustomProperties everyone is talking about. The issue
> is that they won't display in WE's optional columns as the SummaryProperties
> do in XP because the OS NTFS doesn't support the SummaryProperties.

What's WE, Windows Explorer?  I just toggled on Title and Subject quite
easily.

Still Puzzled...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
9/7/2010 10:28:11 PM
> What's WE, Windows Explorer?  I just toggled on Title and Subject quite
> easily.
>
> Still Puzzled...

Yeah, that's what's confusing everyone about what I want to do. What
you see in WindowsExplorer under XP and earlier is different than what
you see in Vista/Win7. Earlier OSs used to support the NTFS
SummaryProperties on the Summary tab. This is missing in Vista/Win7,
and any files being transfered to the file system is stripped of this
metadata.

Not sure what Title/Subject you're refering to other than the data
written to the Details tab. These streams need to be written via ADS
procs people have pointed me to. Unfortunately, these aren't supported
for plain text files on Win6+ OSs.

--
Garry

GS
9/8/2010 12:09:54 AM
Actually, those values you mention (Tilte, Subject) would be written to
the Custom tab for files that support those streams.

--
Garry

GS
9/8/2010 12:15:16 AM
GS submitted this idea :
>> What's WE, Windows Explorer?  I just toggled on Title and Subject quite
>> easily.
>>
>> Still Puzzled...
>
> Yeah, that's what's confusing everyone about what I want to do. What you see
> in WindowsExplorer under XP and earlier is different than what you see in
> Vista/Win7. Earlier OSs used to support the NTFS SummaryProperties on the
> Summary tab. This is missing in Vista/Win7, and any files being transfered to
> the file system is stripped of this metadata.
>
> Not sure what Title/Subject you're refering to other than the data written to
> the Details tab. These streams need to be written via ADS procs people have
> pointed me to. Unfortunately, these aren't supported for plain text files on
> Win6+ OSs.

Hmmmm, well, they were actually written by Word.  Yeah, you're right,
they're not exactly the same as in XP, I guess.  I didn't realize you
couldn't do that with TXT files anymore, either.  Huh...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

find action on log file

File size #11

Maximum file sizes

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

using the journal on outlook

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

can't open new worksheets in a separate window
I've been trying to open multiple wookbooks in Excel, but they won't open in a new window. Instead they continue to open in the same window - one on top of the other. I've tried playing around with the maximize and restore, but to no avail. I tried right clicking on the Excel button in the taskbar to cascade the windows, but the pop-up menu is inactive. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Running Excel 2003, Windows XP. This might be it: Tools - Options - View tab - Show: Windows in taskbar. Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "3R's" <3R's@di...

Can validation lists be enlarged
When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which has been reduced to view. Hi for a workaround see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B6A557E7-7B2C-459B-94CE-02606B6CAB3A@microsoft.com... > When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which > has been reduced to view. ...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...

Trouble in Save existing file
Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveDocument() to save configuration file of my application. Trouble is when I open existing file, edit, and try to save it as the same name, it compains like "Access to file was denied" and I can't save it. But it can be saved as a new name by SaveAs menu. One other thing is this trouble is happening only in Window2000 PCs. It just works well in Window 98. The application is developed in Windows 2000 and I am using Flags like OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST | OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST; Please help. Bob NZ >Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveD...