An Unexpected Error has occurred

As opposed to an expected one?

Losing what's left of my hair over this one...

My accounting app written in VB6 SP6 is crashing.  But only on one machine
at a client's site.  What's really strange is that my app was running until
some arbitrary update (I update several times a week on average) and he's
not been able to run any updates past a specific one.  Yet those same
updates run just fine on all the other computers on the network on-site.
The only one that fails with "Unexpected Error" is the one running terminal
services (or whatever it's called now) under Windows 2003.  They have a
remote site accessing the package, been running fine for months, now
suddenly won't work on anything past a certain release.  Of course, a custom
change they needed is on one of the later releases.  Where its failing is
the main module load, which has not been modified for at least a year.

Nevertheless, I have placed debugging code (high-tech msgboxes!) all over
the place in the form_Initialize event, then in the form_load event.  He
gets all the messages in form_initialize, then the dreaded "Unexpected
Error" message.  Thinking it must be some event in between initialize and
load, I added the same debugging messages to all events that had code - same
result.  Then I added debugging messages to all events, period - same
result.  Then I ran a trace on my own to see what other events might be
occurring between initialize and load, and at least on my machine, no other
events happen between those two.

I am sure it almost has to be terminal services, since nobody else is
getting this error anywhere, and there are hundreds of other users.

Please, I"m down to about four or five hairs on my head!  Please help me
save the follicles!

Bill "Frisbee" Hileman
Newly-designated Owner of Hamelin Software
http://www.hamelinsoftware.com

0
Frisbee

What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot on
your website.
This would be my first guess for an source of error.
0
Boris
4/10/2010 3:45:57 PM
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
> Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot
> on your website.
> This would be my first guess for an source of error.

Nice catch.  It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook Bar and
Explorer controls.

Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week ago.
I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the size
of the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on previous
settings stored in the registry, but the resize event is apparently not
fired until the form is shown, and it never even enters the form_load event
on that machine.

0
Frisbee
4/10/2010 6:18:31 PM
"Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
> Boris Pauljev wrote:
>> What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
>> Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot
>> on your website.
>> This would be my first guess for an source of error.
>
> Nice catch.  It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook Bar
> and Explorer controls.
>
> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
> year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week
> ago. I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the
> size of the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on
> previous settings stored in the registry, but the resize event is
> apparently not fired until the form is shown, and it never even enters the
> form_load event on that machine.

Controls are loaded between Form_Initialize and Form_Load.

0
Nobody
4/10/2010 8:24:26 PM
"Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
> year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week ago. I
> did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the size of
> the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on previous settings
> stored in the registry, but the resize event is apparently not fired until the
> form is shown, and it never even enters the form_load event on that machine.

This is just a wild guess triggered by MS Photo Editor (known to store
erroneous values for its windows position in the registry and next run its
window is out of sight):
Has your program already retrieved those values from the registry?
Are they in the expected range? Maybe they cause the crash.
Does your program check those values or just pass them to the controls?

Helmut.

0
Helmut
4/10/2010 8:28:53 PM
Helmut Meukel wrote:
> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at
>> least a year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a
>> couple of week ago. I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since
>> I do indeed alter the size of the outlook bar, explorer, and two
>> command buttons based on previous settings stored in the registry,
>> but the resize event is apparently not fired until the form is
>> shown, and it never even enters the form_load event on that machine.
>
> This is just a wild guess triggered by MS Photo Editor (known to store
> erroneous values for its windows position in the registry and next
> run its window is out of sight):
> Has your program already retrieved those values from the registry?
> Are they in the expected range? Maybe they cause the crash.
> Does your program check those values or just pass them to the
> controls?
> Helmut.

That was my very first suspicion.  There was a time when I would store the
windows position settings without checking windowstate, and subsequently if
a user closed the application with one or more windows minimized, it would
later attempt to restore the window as minimized but fail because it was
also trying to set position.  Likewise, a user can go "hog-wild" when trying
to resize the outlook bar and explorer panes, but I've since set minimum and
maximum values for those as well.  Getting the settings is the first thing
that the app does in the form_load event, but my debugging code would be
displaying a message that it at least got that far in the debug mode, and
it's not.

0
Frisbee
4/10/2010 8:40:44 PM
Nobody wrote:
> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>> Boris Pauljev wrote:
>>> What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
>>> Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot
>>> on your website.
>>> This would be my first guess for an source of error.
>>
>> Nice catch.  It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook
>> Bar and Explorer controls.
>>
>> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at
>> least a year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a
>> couple of week ago. I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since
>> I do indeed alter the size of the outlook bar, explorer, and two
>> command buttons based on previous settings stored in the registry,
>> but the resize event is apparently not fired until the form is
>> shown, and it never even enters the form_load event on that machine.
>
> Controls are loaded between Form_Initialize and Form_Load.

I did not know that, but it makes sense.

In addition to the Infragistics ActiveX controls, it also loads an 8.5
instance of Crystal Reports, several Pervasive (Btrieve) ActiveX controls,
and probably a dialog control.

Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that could
cause a problem that you're aware of?  Keeping in mind that I have not
updated any of the controls in a very long time, either, meaning neither
form nor controls should have changed in any way between the versions that
worked and the subsequent versions that do not.

For what it's worth, I even tried switching between native code and p-code,
and several of the various native code compile options - no combination
seemed to make a difference (but I was surprised that the p-code exe was 33%
smaller than the native code).

I'm thinking I probably need to look at his installation logs (I use Inno
Setup) and see if perhaps he's getting some kind of error during the
install.  The guy is pretty sharp - a power user (at least compared to most
of my customers) so I can't believe he's ignoring an error message during
install, but you never know.

Thanks for the pointers.

0
Frisbee
4/10/2010 8:46:19 PM
> Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that could
> cause a problem that you're aware of?

No. The only issues with Terminal Services that I am aware of are multi-user
issues, such as opening files exclusively in a local computer, which would
not work, or trying to use the same hardware resource, such as COM1, etc.

You can test your app with Terminal Services if you have XP or after. Just
create another user account, and log in. You can switch between sessions
using the welcome screen or using Start-->Log off-->Switch User. Note that
some network adapters replace GINA and this disables the welcome screen.
Search MSKB for "GINA welcome screen" in how to restore it. The welcome
screen is also disabled if the computer was configured to log in to a
domain. This is also explained in MSKB.

Good luck!

0
Nobody
4/11/2010 4:18:46 AM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that
>> could cause a problem that you're aware of?
>
> No. The only issues with Terminal Services that I am aware of are
> multi-user issues, such as opening files exclusively in a local computer,
> which would not work, or trying to use the same hardware resource, such as
> COM1, etc.
>
> You can test your app with Terminal Services if you have XP or after. Just
> create another user account, and log in. You can switch between sessions
> using the welcome screen or using Start-->Log off-->Switch User. Note that
> some network adapters replace GINA and this disables the welcome screen.
> Search MSKB for "GINA welcome screen" in how to restore it. The welcome
> screen is also disabled if the computer was configured to log in to a
> domain. This is also explained in MSKB.

Also, if you are saving options to a per computer location, then one user
could overwrite another user settings. If you are using a per user location
or HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then it's not a problem. Each logged on user has its
own copy of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

0
Nobody
4/11/2010 4:40:39 AM
"Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
> Nobody wrote:
>> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Nice catch.  It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook
>>> Bar and Explorer controls.
>>>
>>> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at
>>> least a year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a
>>> couple of week ago. I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since
>>> I do indeed alter the size of the outlook bar, explorer, and two
>>> command buttons based on previous settings stored in the registry,
>>> but the resize event is apparently not fired until the form is
>>> shown, and it never even enters the form_load event on that machine.
>>
>> Controls are loaded between Form_Initialize and Form_Load.
>
> I did not know that, but it makes sense.
>
> In addition to the Infragistics ActiveX controls, it also loads an 8.5
> instance of Crystal Reports, several Pervasive (Btrieve) ActiveX controls,
> and probably a dialog control.
>
> Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that could
> cause a problem that you're aware of?  Keeping in mind that I have not
> updated any of the controls in a very long time, either, meaning neither
> form nor controls should have changed in any way between the versions that
> worked and the subsequent versions that do not.
>
> For what it's worth, I even tried switching between native code and
> p-code, and several of the various native code compile options - no
> combination seemed to make a difference (but I was surprised that the
> p-code exe was 33% smaller than the native code).
>
> I'm thinking I probably need to look at his installation logs (I use Inno
> Setup) and see if perhaps he's getting some kind of error during the
> install.  The guy is pretty sharp - a power user (at least compared to
> most of my customers) so I can't believe he's ignoring an error message
> during install, but you never know.
>
> Thanks for the pointers.

I would be tempted to check for an updated file on one of the controls you
are using.

We had similar problems ultimately tracked down to an OCX that was newer on
the client machine than my development machine.  I think in this particular
case, said OCX had been updated as part of installing a printer.  Of course
these OCX files are supposed to be backwards compatible, but they aren't
always....

Tinker

0
Tinker
4/11/2010 6:36:25 AM
Nobody wrote:
> "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that
>>> could cause a problem that you're aware of?
>>
>> No. The only issues with Terminal Services that I am aware of are
>> multi-user issues, such as opening files exclusively in a local
>> computer, which would not work, or trying to use the same hardware
>> resource, such as COM1, etc.
>>
>> You can test your app with Terminal Services if you have XP or
>> after. Just create another user account, and log in. You can switch
>> between sessions using the welcome screen or using Start-->Log
>> off-->Switch User. Note that some network adapters replace GINA and
>> this disables the welcome screen. Search MSKB for "GINA welcome
>> screen" in how to restore it. The welcome screen is also disabled if
>> the computer was configured to log in to a domain. This is also
>> explained in MSKB.
>
> Also, if you are saving options to a per computer location, then one
> user could overwrite another user settings. If you are using a per
> user location or HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then it's not a problem. Each
> logged on user has its own copy of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I am using the GetSetting and SaveSetting functions, which I am pretty sure
use the hkey_current_user settings.

The main form does open files (login ID's, security, etc.) but not in
exclusive mode.  I also do not access hardware directly.  I do check the
printers collection.

You've given me a lot more questions to ask the client, at least.  Thanks.

0
Frisbee
4/11/2010 3:09:12 PM
Tinker wrote:
> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nobody wrote:
>>> "Frisbee�" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Controls are loaded between Form_Initialize and Form_Load.
>>
>> I did not know that, but it makes sense.
>>
>> In addition to the Infragistics ActiveX controls, it also loads an
>> 8.5 instance of Crystal Reports, several Pervasive (Btrieve) ActiveX
>> controls, and probably a dialog control.
>>
>> Is there something about loading controls via Terminal Services that
>> could cause a problem that you're aware of?  Keeping in mind that I
>> have not updated any of the controls in a very long time, either,
>> meaning neither form nor controls should have changed in any way
>> between the versions that worked and the subsequent versions that do
>> not. For what it's worth, I even tried switching between native code and
>> p-code, and several of the various native code compile options - no
>> combination seemed to make a difference (but I was surprised that the
>> p-code exe was 33% smaller than the native code).
>>
>> I'm thinking I probably need to look at his installation logs (I use
>> Inno Setup) and see if perhaps he's getting some kind of error
>> during the install.  The guy is pretty sharp - a power user (at
>> least compared to most of my customers) so I can't believe he's
>> ignoring an error message during install, but you never know.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers.
>>

> I would be tempted to check for an updated file on one of the
> controls you are using.
>
> We had similar problems ultimately tracked down to an OCX that was
> newer on the client machine than my development machine.  I think in
> this particular case, said OCX had been updated as part of installing
> a printer.  Of course these OCX files are supposed to be backwards
> compatible, but they aren't always....

I can understand the logic behind that, and I may have him check versions
anyway, but I doubt that could be the problem, since re-installing an older
version of my own app seems to solve the problem AND the fact that after
installing a newer version of my app, he CAN run it locally, but the failure
happens when running from the remote terminal.  How could an ActiveX control
run correctly on the local machine, but not on a remote via terminal
services?  If I understand TS correctly, it acts as nothing more than
something like CrossLoop or even RDP in that it runs 100% on the local
server, and just transmits screens and input back and forth literally like
the old time "dumb" terminals did, so if it runs on the local machine, why
would it not run remotely, and why would one version of the executable work
on both machines, and another only on the local?  I've not updated any ocx
or dll files in a long time, certainly not since the version that stopped
working.

Thanks for your input.

0
Frisbee
4/11/2010 3:13:22 PM
Frisbee� wrote:
> As opposed to an expected one?
>
> Losing what's left of my hair over this one...
>
> My accounting app written in VB6 SP6 is crashing.  But only on one
> machine at a client's site.  What's really strange is that my app was
> running until some arbitrary update (I update several times a week on
> average) and he's not been able to run any updates past a specific
> one.  Yet those same updates run just fine on all the other computers
> on the network on-site. The only one that fails with "Unexpected
> Error" is the one running terminal services (or whatever it's called
> now) under Windows 2003.  They have a remote site accessing the
> package, been running fine for months, now suddenly won't work on
> anything past a certain release.  Of course, a custom change they
> needed is on one of the later releases.  Where its failing is the
> main module load, which has not been modified for at least a year.
> Nevertheless, I have placed debugging code (high-tech msgboxes!) all
> over the place in the form_Initialize event, then in the form_load
> event.  He gets all the messages in form_initialize, then the dreaded
> "Unexpected Error" message.  Thinking it must be some event in
> between initialize and load, I added the same debugging messages to
> all events that had code - same result.  Then I added debugging
> messages to all events, period - same result.  Then I ran a trace on
> my own to see what other events might be occurring between initialize
> and load, and at least on my machine, no other events happen between
> those two.
> I am sure it almost has to be terminal services, since nobody else is
> getting this error anywhere, and there are hundreds of other users.
>
> Please, I"m down to about four or five hairs on my head!  Please help
> me save the follicles!
>
> Bill "Frisbee" Hileman
> Newly-designated Owner of Hamelin Software
> http://www.hamelinsoftware.com

I won't know until sometime tomorrow when the user tests my solution, but I
think I've finally located the source of my problem.

It was the installer!  I use Inno Setup (and highly recommend it) and I
hadn't updated the program in ages, but figured it was probably about time I
did, what with Windows 7 and all.  The main reason I decided to get an
update, though, was because after reading their newsgroups, I discovered
that Jordan Russel (the author) had recently added a new feature to allow
the setup builder to do code-signing from within (which saves me having to
run a batch file afterwards, plus also code-signs the included uninstall
module).

On a hunch, I searched his help file for "Terminal Services" and discovered
that he'd added a new setting called "TerminalServicesAware" and defaulted
it to "Yes."  Apparently programs to be installed on a terminal services
computer must use a special method, or at least be installed through
"add/remove programs" instead of being run just from the setup.exe, and this
new feature apparently "returns the true Windows folder" or something to
that effect.  This would explain why ActiveX controls might suddenly not be
found, I would think.

So, I've added the flag and set it to "No" so at least in theory, it should
now behave like it did before I updated the setup builder.  Notified the
client, and in fact, suggested that he first try his latest download
installed "normally" instead of as he had been for terminal services.  If
that didn't work, then he needs to download and install my latest on the web
site and install his "normal" way.

In case anyone's interested, I'll post the results when I hear back from
him.

0
Frisbee
4/11/2010 11:55:46 PM
> I won't know until sometime tomorrow when the user tests my solution, but
> I think I've finally located the source of my problem.
>
> It was the installer!  I use Inno Setup (and highly recommend it) and I
> hadn't updated the program in ages, but figured it was probably about time
> I did, what with Windows 7 and all.  The main reason I decided to get an
> update, though, was because after reading their newsgroups, I discovered
> that Jordan Russel (the author) had recently added a new feature to allow
> the setup builder to do code-signing from within (which saves me having to
> run a batch file afterwards, plus also code-signs the included uninstall
> module).
>
> On a hunch, I searched his help file for "Terminal Services" and
> discovered that he'd added a new setting called "TerminalServicesAware"
> and defaulted it to "Yes."  Apparently programs to be installed on a
> terminal services computer must use a special method, or at least be
> installed through "add/remove programs" instead of being run just from the
> setup.exe, and this new feature apparently "returns the true Windows
> folder" or something to that effect.  This would explain why ActiveX
> controls might suddenly not be found, I would think.
>
> So, I've added the flag and set it to "No" so at least in theory, it
> should now behave like it did before I updated the setup builder.
> Notified the client, and in fact, suggested that he first try his latest
> download installed "normally" instead of as he had been for terminal
> services.  If that didn't work, then he needs to download and install my
> latest on the web site and install his "normal" way.
>
> In case anyone's interested, I'll post the results when I hear back from
> him.

Sometimes under Terminal Services(I think if run from a terminal session
only, not from the physical console), GetWindowsDirectory() returns a
different folder rather than the real Windows folder. This is done for
compatibility with applications that use the Windows folder to store their
INI file. When you put a Terminal Server in install mode(by using Add/Remove
Programs), Windows disables this redirection temporarily. See this page for
more details:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/topic_setup_terminalservicesaware.htm

You really need to leave this flag at the default "Yes", which tells Windows
to always return the real Windows folder. If you use "No", then Windows
could return either the real one or the fake one, which is not a good idea
for an installer that tries to update files. Obviously, the installer in
this case would not find the existing version of the file, and installs what
you have, which could be an older version.

If you are doing some extra installation activities from your VB app and you
are calling GetWindowsDirectory(), then call SHGetSpecialFolderLocation()
with CSIDL_WINDOWS flag to get the real Windows folder.

0
Nobody
4/12/2010 4:28:28 AM
I doubt you've resolved it.
I would rather think that it's a crash in the ocx.
Or maybe you are using a vbaccelerator image list or the outlook bar
developer did?

I just experienced unexpected crashes (reproducable) on one user's machine.
It was due to a VBAcc imagelist. On www.10tec.com I found a newer,
maintained version of it which resolved the problem.

My applications are used being used on around 1000 machines, and it
occured only on one computer (XP), I have no idea what went wrong, but
if ocx'es were not already on place 1 on my crash list, they would have
been after this incidence.

Missing controls never give you unexpected runtime errors, they give
catachable VB6 errors.
0
Boris
4/12/2010 10:44:52 AM
Nobody wrote:
> [...]
> install mode(by using Add/Remove Programs), Windows disables this
> redirection temporarily. See this page for more details:
>
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/topic_setup_terminalservicesaware.htm
>
> You really need to leave this flag at the default "Yes", which tells
> Windows to always return the real Windows folder. If you use "No",
> then Windows could return either the real one or the fake one, which
> is not a good idea for an installer that tries to update files.
> Obviously, the installer in this case would not find the existing
> version of the file, and installs what you have, which could be an
> older version.
> If you are doing some extra installation activities from your VB app
> and you are calling GetWindowsDirectory(), then call
> SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() with CSIDL_WINDOWS flag to get the real

I understand your point, and I may not have solved it, however I did read
that help screen page before, and the part that stuck with me, to at least
try it, was the suggestion that you keep it at the default of "yes" unless
you've had problems since installing with the newer version - which
describes me to a "T"  If it doesn't work, I do have other things I can look
at, like trying to run the app from the server under the remote user's ID,
which I don't think he's tried yet.  I don't know how "permissions" could be
the problem here, but it's a possibility, at least.

Thanks again for your detailed feedback.  For a "nobody" you sure are
somebody.

0
Frisbee
4/12/2010 12:58:39 PM
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> I doubt you've resolved it.
> I would rather think that it's a crash in the ocx.
> Or maybe you are using a vbaccelerator image list or the outlook bar
> developer did?
>
> I just experienced unexpected crashes (reproducable) on one user's
> machine. It was due to a VBAcc imagelist. On www.10tec.com I found a
> newer, maintained version of it which resolved the problem.
>
> My applications are used being used on around 1000 machines, and it
> occured only on one computer (XP), I have no idea what went wrong, but
> if ocx'es were not already on place 1 on my crash list, they would
> have been after this incidence.
>
> Missing controls never give you unexpected runtime errors, they give
> catachable VB6 errors.

You may be right, Boris, after reading Nobody's explanation too.  And it may
well be some kind of ocx problem, but why then would re-installing a
previous version work?  Even in the instance you mentioned earlier where the
target machine may have a newer version which is not backward compatible?
Wouldn't it continue to fail when the older version is restored?  This
danged thing is going to be the death of me.

0
Frisbee
4/12/2010 1:00:32 PM
Frisbee� wrote:
> [...]
>> If you are doing some extra installation activities from your VB app
>> and you are calling GetWindowsDirectory(), then call
>> SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() with CSIDL_WINDOWS flag to get the real
>> Windows folder.
>
> I understand your point, and I may not have solved it, however I did
> read that help screen page before, and the part that stuck with me,
> to at least try it, was the suggestion that you keep it at the
> default of "yes" unless you've had problems since installing with the
> newer version - which describes me to a "T"  If it doesn't work, I do
> have other things I can look at, like trying to run the app from the
> server under the remote user's ID, which I don't think he's tried
> yet.  I don't know how "permissions" could be the problem here, but
> it's a possibility, at least.
> Thanks again for your detailed feedback.  For a "nobody" you sure are

What's just occurred to me is that I am probably right in that something in
Inno Setup caused my problem, it's probably just NOT the
TerminalServicesAware flag.  Now, If I could just remember what my old Inno
Setup version was BEFORE I updated it, then I could go back and read all the
notes of the upgrades, and perhaps some other new "feature" is what broke my
application on Terminal Services?  Ugh.  I'm still hoping that this somehow
fixes it.

0
Frisbee
4/12/2010 1:08:19 PM
I don't understand why you have not managed to track the real position
of where the error occured.
When you don't do anything in the code, nothing will happen, so there
has to be a call that throws the error.
I still don't believe in the terminal services being the cause of the error.

I have managed to crash VB6 in many ways (manifest, imagelists, vbAcc,
CopyMemory, UAC, ocx), but before you or anybody else can help you, you
should first really track down where the error occurs.
If you are happy with the msgbox, go on, but I have already had
situations where even the messageboxes crashed/ were not shown, so I did
something like this:

sub main
	writelog "1"
	do this
	writelog "2"
	do that
	writelog "3"
	...etc
end sub

private sub Writelog(byval uString as string)

	dim sPath$
	'sPath = GetSpecialFolder(CSIDL_DESKTOP) & "\" & App.ExeName & "_LOG.log"
         sPath = "C:\" & App.Exename & "_LOG.txt"

	Dim iFileNr%
         iFileNr = FreeFile()

         Open sPath For Append As #iFileNr
         Print #iFileNr, uString
         Close #iFileNr

end sub
0
Boris
4/13/2010 3:12:41 PM
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> I don't understand why you have not managed to track the real position
> of where the error occured.
> When you don't do anything in the code, nothing will happen, so there
> has to be a call that throws the error.
> I still don't believe in the terminal services being the cause of the
> error.
> I have managed to crash VB6 in many ways (manifest, imagelists, vbAcc,
> CopyMemory, UAC, ocx), but before you or anybody else can help you,
> you should first really track down where the error occurs.
> If you are happy with the msgbox, go on, but I have already had
> situations where even the messageboxes crashed/ were not shown, so I
> did something like this:
>
> sub main
> writelog "1"
> do this
> writelog "2"
> do that
> writelog "3"
> ...etc
> end sub
>
> private sub Writelog(byval uString as string)
>
> dim sPath$
> 'sPath = GetSpecialFolder(CSIDL_DESKTOP) & "\" & App.ExeName &
>         "_LOG.log" sPath = "C:\" & App.Exename & "_LOG.txt"
>
> Dim iFileNr%
>         iFileNr = FreeFile()
>
>         Open sPath For Append As #iFileNr
>         Print #iFileNr, uString
>         Close #iFileNr
>
> end sub

Part of the problem, Boris, is that I cannot duplicate the problem on my
computer, only on the end-user's computer.  It would seem that the
form_initialize event is fully running, since it is displaying all the
msgbox commands, but never entering the form_load event.  I'm told that the
form's controls are loaded in between those two events.  I could write
something like you've shown, and I have done that sort of debugging in the
past, but I suspect it will produce the same as the message boxes - write up
until form_initialize is done, then nothing else - error.

I may have test the theory of it being the install utility by using a
different third-party install which would be no easy task.  It's a fairly
complex accounting application.  Moving it to another installer would be
quite the chore, as it was moving it from Wise Installer to Inno several
years ago.  However, that might be the only way I can determine for sure if
it's the installer or not.  Right now, Boris, I have no freaking idea what
the cause of this is - terminal services, Inno Setup, both, neither, I have
no idea and it's driving me nuts.  This particular client is one of my
favorites and I've known him for decades.  He's got to be losing faith in
me, I wouldn't blame him.

0
Frisbee
4/13/2010 3:49:38 PM
Frisbee� wrote:

> Part of the problem, Boris, is that I cannot duplicate the problem on my
> computer, only on the end-user's computer.  ...

Well, there's a hint there...you need to look into what's on the machine
besides that's different.

The other thing that strikes me is that you say you can go back to an
earlier version an remove the problem on the same machine.  If that is
so, I'd start from the last place that it does work and then
incrementally make updates and find out what it is that breaks it.

dpb
4/13/2010 4:47:43 PM
> I cannot duplicate the problem on my computer, only on the end-user's
> computer.

You might be able to duplicate it by doing the following:

- Download and install the free Virtual PC.
- Download Windows 2008 Server trial version in ISO format, 32 Bit
edition(The 64 bit version is not supported on Virtual PC), or if you
prefer, the VHD version which saves you installation time.
- Create a new virtual machine in Virtual PC, and assign 512 MB of RAM to
the new OS, leave other options at the default. In Networking, choose the
adapter that you normally use, don't use "Shared Networking". If you are
using the VHD version, use it instead of creating a new hard drive image.
- If installing from ISO image, start the new VM and press Delete to go to
the BIOS. In Virtual PC menu, go to CD-->Capture ISO Image, and browse to
the ISO file. There is no need to burn it on a CD or DVD first.
- Install the new OS, this would take about 25 minutes.
- Once the installation is finished, shut it down, then go to "My Virtual
Machines" folder under My Documents and backup the whole folder. This is
your clean installation copy in case you want to go back to it, so you don't
have to reinstall the OS again.
- In Virtual PC menu, go to Action-->Install or Update Virtual Machines
Additions. This allows you to do Copy and Paste and drag and drop files
between the host and guest OS'es.
- Terminal Services Role by default is not installed. You need to install
it. I think this is done by going to "Programs and Features" in Control
Panel. It can also be done from other places.
- Now, in both machines, use "ipconfig" to see if the IP addresses are
similar, then use "Ping <Other IP>" to see if you get replies. If not,
change the options as needed.
- To connect to Terminal Services from your XP or Vista machine, use "Remote
Desktop Connection" under Start-->All
Programs-->Accessories--Communications.
- Enter the Win2008 computer name(or its IP), you will be asked for user
name and password. Leave the domain name blank, or if you have problems, set
it to the same as the Win2008 computer name. Once you click Connect, you
should see a full desktop inside a window. Now run your installer and test
it.

You could enable "Undo Disks", so if you screwed up, you can just click the
"X" on Virtual PC, and tell it to discard the changes. This would revert it
to the last saved state.

Some links:

Virtual PC 2007 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=28c97d22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ba571339-5436-4cf5-9c37-6ed7dab6f781

Other ways to download:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/try-it.aspx

0
Nobody
4/13/2010 4:57:20 PM
Can you state the controls that you are using on the form in question?
Which imagelist are you using?
0
Boris
4/16/2010 4:58:16 AM
Or did you perhaps change the icon of your form?
Some icons cause crashes on some computers.
0
Boris
4/16/2010 5:15:14 AM
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> Or did you perhaps change the icon of your form?
> Some icons cause crashes on some computers.

Holy cow.  Yes, in fact I did.  Since I took over the business and started
my own corporation, I created an icon from my new company logo, then
proceeded to replace the old icon in all forms.

That is certainly worth testing.  If this turns out to be it, I owe you
(only figuratively, though... I'm broke)

Thank you for the tip.

0
Frisbee
4/16/2010 1:12:43 PM
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> Can you state the controls that you are using on the form in question?
> Which imagelist are you using?

Here's a snippet from my Inno Install Script:

(note CS ocx's are Crescent Software)

; begin App Specific ActiveX
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Comct332.OCX; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Comdlg32.OCX; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Cscmd32.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Cslist32.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Cstext32.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Imp32x20.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Mschrt20.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Mscomctl.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Mscomct2.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Msdatgrd.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Msflxgrd.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\Program Files\Infragistics\Data Explorer\PVOutlookBar.ocx;
DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile regserver
Source: C:\Program Files\Infragistics\Data Explorer\PVXplore8.ocx; DestDir:
{sys}; Flags: sharedfile regserver
Source: C:\Program Files\ReSizOCX\Resize32.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags:
sharedfile regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Sysinfo.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\Program Files\Tabpro20\Bin\Tab32x20.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags:
sharedfile regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tidate8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Timask8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tinumb8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tinumbl8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Titext8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Todg7.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Todg8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Todl8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Vsflex8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Xadb7.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Xadb8.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Xarraydb.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
; end App Specific ActiveX

; begin App Specific DLL
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Ctl3d32.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Mfcans32.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Msvcirt.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Oledlg.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tdbgpp8.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tibase8.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Tishare8.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Todgub7.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Todgub8.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
regserver
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\Vbalflbr.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
Source: C:\WinProd\System32\c4dll.dll; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: sharedfile
; end App Specific DLL

0
Frisbee
4/16/2010 1:21:13 PM
Cool :-)
0
Boris
4/16/2010 2:22:52 PM
Frisbee� wrote:
> Boris Pauljev wrote:
>> Or did you perhaps change the icon of your form?
>> Some icons cause crashes on some computers.
>
> Holy cow.  Yes, in fact I did.  Since I took over the business and started
> my own corporation, I created an icon from my new company logo, then
> proceeded to replace the old icon in all forms.
>
> That is certainly worth testing.  If this turns out to be it, I owe you
> (only figuratively, though... I'm broke)

Don't you have this tested already?  Didn't you say you had an earlier
version which did _NOT_ crash?  Does it have the new corporate icon?

I'll not say this can't happen; I'm having a hard time figuring out how
it would have anything to do with it from "just an icon".

Maybe Boris can shed some light on the "how/why?" of that...

dpb
4/16/2010 2:39:27 PM
I think the customer has 16 bit set up in graphics cards, and there is
something in the icon that makes VB6 crash in this combination.
But I don't know how that can happen.
0
Boris
4/16/2010 4:38:30 PM
dpb wrote:
> Frisbee� wrote:
>> Boris Pauljev wrote:
>>> Or did you perhaps change the icon of your form?
>>> Some icons cause crashes on some computers.
>>
>> Holy cow.  Yes, in fact I did.  Since I took over the business and
>> started my own corporation, I created an icon from my new company
>> logo, then proceeded to replace the old icon in all forms.
>>
>> That is certainly worth testing.  If this turns out to be it, I owe
>> you (only figuratively, though... I'm broke)
>
> Don't you have this tested already?  Didn't you say you had an earlier
> version which did _NOT_ crash?  Does it have the new corporate icon?

The earlier version did not have the new icon.  I have confirmed that much
with the client.  I also have determined that for some reason, the current
icon was likely a 145k .ico file - I have no idea why it was so big, but I
also cannot confirm this, since VB does NOT show the current file or
location for the icon property of the forms, only lets you select a new one.
I have re-created via a favicon creator on the web a .ico file which is 4-5k
and contains both 16x16 and 32x32 versions.  Since my app has approximately
100 forms, all of which were using the icon, the compiled size of the
updated icon was significantly smaller.  I actually sent a version of the
program with the old, original icon in the main and logon forms to the
client.  I'm hoping he'll let me know shortly if it worked.

> I'll not say this can't happen; I'm having a hard time figuring out
> how it would have anything to do with it from "just an icon".
>
> Maybe Boris can shed some light on the "how/why?" of that...

You got me, except that it would make sense that the icon would be one of
the things loaded, as a resource, along with the controls after
form_initialize and before form_load.  If the .ico file was somehow invalid
(which does look like the case) it's possible that terminal services is
particularly finicky about its format, whereas windows itself is not?

Regardless, I sure do hope this is it.

0
Frisbee
4/16/2010 6:17:45 PM
Frisbee� wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> Frisbee� wrote:
>>> Holy cow.  Yes, in fact I did.  Since I took over the business and
>>> started my own corporation, I created an icon from my new company
>>> logo, then proceeded to replace the old icon in all forms.
>>>
>>> That is certainly worth testing.  If this turns out to be it, I owe
>>> you (only figuratively, though... I'm broke)
>> Don't you have this tested already?  Didn't you say you had an earlier
>> version which did _NOT_ crash?  Does it have the new corporate icon?
>
> The earlier version did not have the new icon.  ...

Ah, so...

>> I'll not say this can't happen; I'm having a hard time figuring out
>> how it would have anything to do with it from "just an icon".
>>
>> Maybe Boris can shed some light on the "how/why?" of that...
>
> You got me, except that it would make sense that the icon would be one of
> the things loaded, as a resource, along with the controls after
> form_initialize and before form_load.  If the .ico file was somehow invalid
> (which does look like the case) it's possible that terminal services is
> particularly finicky about its format, whereas windows itself is not?

I'd think it far more likely it's the machines video driver/hardware
rather than terminal services...but, if it fixes the problem that will
be good, agreed (and a new one for me).

dpb

Unknown Error 80070659 with code 659
Windows Server 2008 SP1 Terminal Services IE8 I have looked online for this code and I cannot seem to find anything. I have 7 updates installed sucessfully and 25 unsuccessfully. The unsuccessful ones all appear to be either office 2007 updates or dot net updates and XML updates. There is one pending IE8 update. Any thoughts? -- MTI Business Services 61390388803 ...

Runtime Error #20
Outlook 2000 receive runtime error on 1st open, click OK and Outlook then closes. Click for 2nd open and it is OK. Sounds like improper close???? Here's the message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtimer error! Program E:\Office\Office\Outlook.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. Any info would be appreciated. ...

Outlook Express Visual C++ Runtime Library Run-Time Error
I have a friend who's using Outlook Express 6 and is getting an "abnormal program termination" error whenever he attempts to attach a graphic file within Outlook Express. He reports that it works fine when using the Explorer shell to call OE. My friend has WinXP Home. Any advice? Jay ...

Can Update Office 11.0
I am trying to give Office a whirl on my powerbook however I need to upgrade to 11.1 for it to work with my ofices Lotus Notes e-Mail. When I try upgrading I get the 11002:2,-14 error I've heard talked about in this newsgroup. I've tried all the suggestions but still no luck. I tried repairing permisions, re-installing, turning of Entourage notifications. Nothing works! Please help. Haven't a clue. Previous threads didn't offer anything? Try re-downloading the update. Maybe previous updates haven't been run yet. Use Help | Check for Updates and let it tell you what...

Exchange Server error message
I'm getting this error message from our exchange server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any ideas would be appreciated. "techman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting this error message from our exchange >server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk >space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any >ideas would be appreciated. Does this happen for ALL messages, or just some? It may be that the message contains a line ...

cmos checksum error
Hello, Each time I boot my computer, it shows cmos checksum error. Press F8 for system configuration but the F8 doesn't work, F9 doesn't work either. F1 allows it to boot and the system gets set at 1st Jan 2007 12.00 am. Regardless of how many times I change the bios, it will revert after each power down. I don't have a floppy but it seems to insist i do, strange thing is .. a floppy disk drive and floppy controller exist on my device manager. If I remove it, the computer detects the zoombie floppy and reinstalls it. I've also replaced the button battery but that ...

Compile Error in Visual Basic: Main Module?
I just started getting this pop-up applet - "Compile Error in Visual Basic: Main Module?"- whenever I open Excel 2000 - if I just click OK, then Excel opens and everything is fine. I tried to do a repair function using the Office 2000 disks, but it is still there. Google search did not find this error message exactly except for a MAC user. Ideas? That is probably a badly written addin, either installed (tools > addin menu) or a file residing in you startup folder (tools > options menu to find where that is). Those things are typically scanner software or acrobat/pdf wri...

Error while trying to access reports
Hi all, I have a user who is Admin and gets this error when she clicks on the report icon: Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the r...

Microsoft Active Directory
I am getting the following error when trying to modify anything on the Exchange General Tab of a user object: The operation failed. ID no: 80004005 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension I believe this is a permissions issue. Any ideas? Does this happen to all user objects ? What permissions do you have ? Are any of the fields on the user object not completed i.e. initials, first name, display name etc as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314034/en-us Regards Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "COT-AD" <COTAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C50D72ED-...

simple? pasting simple formula, error on copy
I have some store buying spreadsheets I made up. Very very basic, one of the columns has a total at the bottom or end as you may call it for total $ amount bought. that final number is in c33. c1, c2, c3 etc is a amount from each vendor. I want to have a column telling me the percentage being spent on each, simple enough so I make a column with the following formula =c33/c5. I get a number, change it to percentage and BAM I have exactly what I want. I pasted that formula and pasted it into all the other rows of that certain column, but I keep getting the #div/0 error, cause the new formulas...

"Microsoft Outlook Stopped Working" error
Hi all, may I firstly apologise if I seem stupid in anything I say here; I have always used another PIM programme in the past with only the occasional dalliance with any version of Outlook. I am running Vista (Fully updated) Home Premium on a Tosh laptop (32 bit) 1.73 Gb 2GM Ram. I recently installed Outlook 2007 (I also have Office Home & Student 2007 (service desk edition?) which I have been using for a year or so.) The problem is that I keep getting this error when using Outlook. (for example 4 time in 15 mins). I have removed the programme (to ensure no trace o...

Error 0x80040216 when trying to export customization
Hi, Does anyone has any idea what is causing 0x80040216 xml error when trying to export customization? Thank you in advance. ...

Supressing Errors on my Screen
Hi, I am running a script against a list of 165 servers. Part of the reason I am running this script is to see if I can connect to all of them. In many cases I can not. I get a screen full of Bright red Error messages. Is there any way to suprpress these errors? The command I am running is: $OS = Get-WmiObject "Win32_OperatingSystem" -computername ($strComputer) If ($OS) { $WS.Cells.Item($rRow, 2) = "Online" $WS.Cells.Item($rRow, 3) = $OS.Caption } Else { $ws.Cells.Item($rRow, 2) = "Pings" ...

Error
Hello to all. I am a CRM newbie.... and I am looking for a little help... We installed Microsoft CRM v1.2 on a Windows SBS2003 server. We followed the Microsoft Business Solutions CROM Implementation Guide - SBS2003 section - during the installation. During the install, we created a new CRM website in IIS, and added a host header ("crm") and added "crm" to the DNS on the server. So far, so good. But, we have a problem whenever I choose Start->Programs->Microsoft CRM->Workflow Manager.... The Workflow Manager Logon window is displayed. I am prompted to enter th...

Outlook 2002: 'Unknown Error 0x8004060C'
I started getting this error yesterday: 'Unknown Error 0x8004060C' A search revealed this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304863 It indicates that the .pst file is full. I'd like to delete some messages, but I get an error when I try to delete anything: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I have downloaded any available updates from MS, no change in status. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Win2002 Thanks, Greg Try emptying the deleted items folder first. Then, if that doesn't work, try a...

Error message #77
I get following Outlook error message: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? "If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'. [Options Yes, No, Help] Never got this until I installed Adobe Acrobat 6, Standard. Adobe Tech says they can solve problem but will cost $39 on my nickel (no toll-free phones to Adobe Tech). They say MS problem but cannot find fix. Anybody out there know how to fix this? Thanks. Emmett <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get follow...

Continual conflict/errors with Outlook/Outlook Express on startup
Hello, I have Outlook AND Outlook Express set to come up automatically on startup. For quite some time now, I sometimes get an error message, saying something to the effect of "switch identities" being turned on in one application, which is conflicting w/ the other. What can/should I do in either program to fix this? Lately (not sure this is related), OE isn't coming up at all -- w/ some Microsoft message coming up saying it had to be shut down (I copied down as much of the technical info as I could today, and it was saved even to a '.txt' file in \Temp, but when...

Error (0x8004010F)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5A4A5.1C1A1E40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The = operation failed. An object could not be found.' I get the above error in Outlook only when performing a send and receive = using RPC over HTTPS. It appears that it is the download of the address = book that triggers this error. All other information transfers without = issue. I can download the address book withou...

CRM Time Error
Hi, The dates stored in the DB in sql Server is diffent, from when you browse it throghe IE. Correct dates shows in IE, but not in SQL DB. I am generating a Birthday Reminder which is not coming in the correct date since time in DB is Incorrect. Please Help..... Irshard Zahir Hi Irshard, The dates in the database are converted to the local date of the user. The problem can be tackeled by using the CRM SDK. Hopefully this works if not please let me know. Regards, Ron "Irshard" <Irshard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E7A1EC9-87E7-4B8D-8F0F-B7CFE9...

Exchange 2K3 SP1 Error
I have sucessfully created and mounted an RSG on my Exchange 2003 SP1 server. My problem is when i right click any mailbox in the RSG from the ESM that's name contains a comma (Kleinpeter, Rob) i get error: An Invalid dn syntax has been specified. Facility: LDAP Providor ID no: 80072032 Exchange System Manager This does not happen in the live database or in the RGS with names that do not contain commas. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. RK ...

Report Server Error 09-28-07
After uninstalling MSCRM from my server, I tried installing it again. This has led me to the problem of the report server. I'm using the default server name http://<servername>/reportserver and it's still not realizing that it is actually there and fully running. I've checked the Services section of my server and also checked the individual server status. Both are running within normal parameters. Before the uninstall, the report server was running properly and CRM recognised that it was actually there. Any ideas? ....reed Is this SQL Server 2000 or 2005 SRS? 1. Fo...

Write conflict error with ODBC link table
Hi, I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data (ODBC link) from form, I receive Wirte conflict error 'The record has been changed by other user... Copying the change to the clipboard...'. The error allow me either copy the info to clipboard or drop change. In this case, how can I save my work to the table here? SF � "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> ������ ��� ������ news:#F7F7OtcIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data > (ODBC link) from form, I...

Quickbooks Posting Errors
I have several batches that have said they were out of balance when I tried to post them into Quickbooks 2005. I have since found the error in one of the batches and changed the .iif file to fix the error. When I try to re-import the fixed file, it says "your data has been imported" but it actually hasn't. The data from the import file does not appear in any of the accounts it is supposed to. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a trick I am missing? ...

script error running reports from home pages, why??
I'm not a GP user/expert, we recently installed GP2010. Since then one user has said, "When I try to run reports from the home pages, I am getting this script error and cannot run any reports." The error is: Line 47 Char 5 Error The system cannot find the file specified Code 0 URL: file:///C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp/AE8.tmp I have received differing responses to this issue: 1) enable the Run command on the Start menu of our XenApp server for the regular domain users, which I view as a big security risk 2) "the UserData folder does not exist in the %ap...

event error 7004
Hi everyone, on my exchange server (there is only one running 2003 exchange on 2003 enterprise ed) i keep getting this error for the past couple of weeks. Not sure what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7004 Description: This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID 1, connection #2592. The remote host "205.207.148.92", responded to the SMTP command "helo" with "501-(Note: This SMTP response message has multiple lines.) 501- 501-A fatal error ha...