7-bit and News Servers

Most of the messages that come here get the following news
header fixed into them:

I recently (15:16 Eastern, 2010.06.02, Wednesday) looked through
various messages and noticed that the following people no longer
post 7-bit.

From: "Larry Serflaten" <serflaten at usinternet dot com>
Subject: Re: Instr problem in VB5
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:12:35 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

From: "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:42:17 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

It appears that Patrice posts via Live Mail and that perhaps explains
her post. I see Larry, though, still uses Outlook Express. So I must
ask Larry if his Outlook Express is configured for 7-bit posts. The
headers say he posts without any sort of "content/type" headers.

e.g.

Also, I see Helmut employs the news-server to post:

eternal-september.org

There are some other servers available as well I believe, although I
have not tried any of them out:

<snip>

You have free usenet servers, for example:

news.albasani.net
news.eternal-september.org
news.x-privat.org
news.solani.org
news.aioe.org

</snip>

I copied that from one of the messages posted to the

  comp.lang.asm.x86

newsgroup (posted in January of this year).

--
Jim Carlock

0
Jim

"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock@NOSPAM.example.com> wrote in message

And the point to all of that?

0
MikeD
6/2/2010 8:10:08 PM
"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock@NOSPAM.example.com> wrote in message
: Most of the messages that come here get the following news
: header fixed into them:
:
: From: "Larry Serflaten" <serflaten at usinternet dot com>
: Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:12:35 -0500
: Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
: From: "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/>
: Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:42:17 +0200
: Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
:
: It appears that Patrice posts via Live Mail and that perhaps explains
: her post. I see Larry, though, still uses Outlook Express. So I must
: ask Larry if his Outlook Express is configured for 7-bit posts. The
: headers say he posts without any sort of "content/type" headers.

<snip >

What does this have to do with anything?

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock@NOSPAM.example.com> wrote

> It appears that Patrice posts via Live Mail and that perhaps explains
> her post. I see Larry, though, still uses Outlook Express. So I must
> ask Larry if his Outlook Express is configured for 7-bit posts. The
> headers say he posts without any sort of "content/type" headers.

I just changed my international settings from Western European (ISO)
to Unicode (UTF-7) for this post.  Not that it makes a bit of difference
to me, I would have probably left it at the default setting when I first
set it up many years ago.  We'll see if the new setting adds anything
to the headers....

LFS

0
Larry
6/2/2010 11:37:13 PM
"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock@NOSPAM.example.com> wrote
> It appears that Patrice posts via Live Mail and that perhaps explains
> her post. I see Larry, though, still uses Outlook Express. So I must
> ask Larry if his Outlook Express is configured for 7-bit posts. The
> headers say he posts without any sort of "content/type" headers.

Changing the international setting had no effect.  This post is posted
via a different server (different local account in OE).  Let's see what
that changes....

LFS

0
Larry

Is Word Converter Compatible with Server 2008??????
We have tried to install the word converter (so 2003 word can read and save 2008 documents). When you try to open a 2007 document, we get the error " There was an error opening file" We have tried on a production server and also test server had have the same results. Uninstall and reinstall several times and . Run as Administrator, everything but no luck. Everything is up-to-date with the lates service packs. We would install Office 2007, but the clients app that does merge to word is not compatible with Word 2007. Is the word converter compatible with Serv...

Sharepoint Server install
Hi, I am wanting to get Sharepoint Server installed on working. I ran the install from the Dynamics GP 10 CD2 - this left me with a wizard. When I run this wizard, at the point of choosing Finish on the 'Define Location & Deploy' page I get the following error: 'Could not load or assembly 'Microsoft.Sharepoint, Version 12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, Publickeytoken=71e9bce11e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified' Any ideas please? Do I actually need to run the sharepoint install from other CD's? - I ask this as I do not...

SQL Server 2005 Maintenance Plan
Hello, I used the 'Back Up Database Task' which backs up all of the databases automatically in one step but noticed for the past few days it's actually creating multiple file names for each day for example at 6:00PM as: UserDB_backup_200911031800.bak UserDB_backup_200911021800.bak UserDB_backup_200911011800.bak ....is there a setting when double-clicking on the 'Back Up Database Task' step to have it use one file only like 'UserDB_backup.bak' in where it overwrites a full db backup each day instead of multiple files like shown above? T...

Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server
I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server. Does anyone have a reason for this and/or a work-around so that I can use MS Word as the email editor. I have reviewed the knowledge base and cannot find a solution. Please help. Thanks, HR HR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 > and exchange server. Define "unable". What happens when you try. What version of Word? -- Brian Tillman ...

All in one Windows 2003 Server as PDC with SQL and CRM
hello, can i install an Microsoft CRM Production Server as an All-In-one Solution with Microsoft CRM and SQL 2000 Server on the PDC (Windows 2003 Server)? Is this supported? What are the possible disadvantages besides not having an secondary Domain Controller for extra security? Andy in a testing environment this works but in production is not a good idea. The only supported single server deployment is sbs 2003 etc. why not supported? apart from SBS you should never start treating your domain controllers as application servers as if anything goes wrong you risk losing your entire AD....

Windows Server 2008 Installation Error
Hi , I am trying to install WinServer 2008 checked build x86 in my computer but I get following error when I put the key: Windows Server 2008 Installation Error: Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted. i restart the installation but the problem happens again. any fix for this? Thanks, Are you booting from the installation media? -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "dfrg" wrote: &g...

Lost Ole notes on server after power surge
We have uers access GP10 thru citrix connection - GP installed on server - users log in thru internet connection. After power surge - the ability to open notes is not available - no error - simply nothing opens - we have restarted the server, it did not help - any ideas? Have you checked whether the directory where the notes are stored is accessible? Have you tried restoring a backup of the notes folder? -- Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.co...

Exch Pre-production NICs differs from Production servers
I have a pair of clustered Exch2003 where I plan to test patches, Service packs, anti-software updates ,etc. Those pre-production servers will have different NIC adapters than the Production servers. That's because I have fiber connection available to the Production servers, but I will have to use copper cables to the pre-production ones. An alternative would leaving both Production and Pre-production clusters setup without 'NIC teaming'. In that case, they would have same NIC configuration (one fiber NIC and one Copper NIC each server), but no teaming. Please let me know which ...

Are user certs broken when used on a front end server?
Does a front end exchange 2003 SP2 server support requiring a user certificate? On the back end server requiring user certs works fine (but breaks Treo syncing). I therefore set up a front end server and two virtual servers (one just SSL for treos and the other for Outlook Web Access). If I require a cert on the front end virtual directory I want to use for Outlook Web Access and try it, IE presents a blank box for the user certificate (when it should present one of the installed user certificates). If the backend is configured the same way and a client connects, their user certs are display...

Removing Anonymous Access on Backend Exchange Servers
Hi, We are running Backend & Front End Exchange Servers, Front End the anonymous access has been disabled. I am in the process of removing anonymous access in Backend also, but the problem is there are many applications which are using backend servers to send mails, most of it can be configured to authenticate before sending mails, but there are a quite a few legacy applications which cannot authenticate before sending mails (The code is not opensource & cannot be modified). I tried to allow relaying based on IP's, but still those legacy machines are not able to send mail...

Completing an OEM Install of XP--How to Do a Bit More??
I just successfully install of the XP OEM, full version. No icons appeared on my desktop. I figured out how to put on My Computer. Don't know for Network Places. The others I'll deal with as I install. An old drive is now in the place of D. It has lots of folders and files. I tried searching a folder there, and all Search would allow is D. How do I get to Browse a selected folder? I noticed some file suffixes or empty. I thought properties for a folder would fix that, but not. W. eWatson wrote: > I just successfully install of the XP OEM, full version. No icons >...

.net 3.0 on GP 7.5?
I need to know if the .net 3.0 framework will "break" GP 7.5. .net 3.0 is necessary for another application which will be running on the same machine. I cannot find an answer on Partnersource or various other resources that I've looked into. 7.5 is not supported by Microsoft anymore... Any insight would be much appreciated! Dear, You can export the data from the first company using SmartList, and use Integration Manager or Macro's to import the transactions into the other company, please let me know if you need any help in either ways. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daou...

Emails are not reaching my inbox as they are stuck in server
Anybody got an idea how to clear get emails that are downloading but not appearing in my inbox. My Squirrel hosting app can see them but I cannot get to them I am getting an error message saying there is a problem in my c drive with Word. I cannot carry out any action on Microsoft Outlook, including deleting items because of this error message. Thanks. What precisely does the error message state, in full? -- Kathleen Orland "Airtime Talk Back" <Airtime Talk Back@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EC05B91-9656-4FF7-9B48-AC663460C502@mic...

on server reboot multiple emails get returned as undeliverable
I have an SBS 2003 server running exchange, all latest service packs etc. We have hit a problem a couple of times when on reboot of the server end users get emails returned as undeliverable as they have exceeded the delivery date. It does not affect all outgoing messages, and the destinations are valid. It is as though the SMTP gets stuck on some messages, and only notices on re-start. Any ideas? F Frank <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote: > I have an SBS 2003 server running exchange, all latest service packs > etc. > We have hit a problem a couple of times ...

exchange checking other pop3 accounts on other servers
I have a local exchange server on a small network. our email is hosted by our isp on a dedicated server I have using mail enable. I connect to it via pop 3. I have the exchange box on the network to have a mail store so I don't loose email. That's it's only real funciton. When I get email through outlook 07 it's from the other server and then it saves in exchange etc. is there any way in exchange 2003 or the upcomming 2007 server to have IT check the other server box so I don't have to do it through outlook? This would allow me to not have to have outlook running for...

POP3 server names
where do i find the outgoing and incoming server names to set up an e-mail account? From your ISP. Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "lisa law" <lisal@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e%23ao63%236KHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > where do i find the outgoing and incoming server names to set up an > e-mail account? You get the correct ma...

Outlook 2003 not sending emails to Exchange server
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem. I have been searching the web and cannot find a solution. I am running exchange 2000 all SP's, configured so it is not an open relay. My accounts need to authenticate to send emails. This seems to work fine under any MS outlook or OExpress version except Outlook 2003. I have ran the outlook updates that are available on the MS site to no avail. the error message when selecting "Test Account Settings" is *************** Send test e-mail message: Outlook could not logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). The problem could b...

Project Server and DNS
Has anyone ever had a Project Server create an second DNS record for a different Computer name associated with the same IP address? I know this is a really strange question, but somehow it actually happened. I am not the Network admin and he swears he did not do it..... Any thoughts? Anyone? Thanks EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# Email With Attachment / Upload / Validation http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d5fd3a93-8c71-4811-94f2-59b545ced4fd/c--email-with-attachment.aspx Project Server gets blamed for a lot of things, but I suspect it's not...

Witness Server in SQL Mirroring
Hello everyone, is there someone who could tell me if the witness server in a mirroring configuration under SQL Server 2008 must be a third instance of a SQL Server? Can I setup the secondary DB within the mirroring as the witness as well? Thank' you for your help! Bye, Clark. -- =^= Live Long and Prosper I don't believe there is anything stopping you from doing so but that pretty much defeats the purpose. For instance if the witness is on the same server as the mirror and the network connection drops both the witness and the mirror will create a quorum and pro...

MailBoxes limit on Exchange 2003 server
I amd trying to find the actual limit microsoft recommends for mailboxes on an exchager server. Is there such a thing. Exchange 2003 SP1 enterprise HP DL380 hardware and I am not talking about mailbox size limits but the actual mailbox count. 1000 ~ or 50,000 users can anyone help TL I'm not sure there is a recommended limit. It really depends on lots of things...how beefy your hardware is, how active the mailboxes are, etc. I believe the largest number of mailboxes I have on one server is about 3500...those are spread across multiple storage groups and mailbox stores...my servers...

Block large attachments on the client (not the Exchange server)
Hi, Does anyone know a method of blocking users attach files over a certain size to a message in Outlook? I know the message size can be configured in Exchange however I am looking for a client based solution as I don't have control over the Exchange server settings which is currently set too large at 30mb. I would like to prevent users from composing new emails which are over 15mb without touching Exchange, so it needs to be a client side Outlook addin or setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Craig Set a rule that looks something like the following. ...

How to restart exchange 2000 without rebooting the server
after making changes, the Exchange server needs to be restarted according to some suggestions I've seen in this newsgroup. How can I do it without rebooting the server? What kind of changes? Is it an OS level change? then you have to restart the server. Otherwise try restarting the SA service. -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "RobGMiller" <RobGMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30D51221-45C6-444B-9C90-3B8E149DAF91@microsoft.com... > after making changes, the Exchange server needs to be restarted acc...

Move information from exchange server running different domain to
Hello My company has recently bought a new business. The users of the running were using outlook.They want to keep all the information that including contacts, calendar, mail. I have created accounts for all of them in my AD and also mailboxes. What is the best way to move all their info into my exchange server. I ma running a different domain and the other company was running a diff domain. They will have new email ID"S from my company. In news:8AA1C3FC-9829-4AEC-80C4-30C9840CA91C@microsoft.com, KPM <KPM@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello > > My company has r...

What is the proper app destination in Windows 7 64 bit ?
Hello, I just encountered that problem in Windows 7 64 bit although Windows 7 32 bit does not have that problem. User (?) installed my application in c:\Program Files(86) folder. My app creates subfolders to App.Path during normal program operation. Despite user being the administrator the subfolder cannot be created (there is an error "File/Path Access Error" How should I proceed in that case? Should the installation insist on another program location (which one) or should I consider something else? Your help appreciated, Claire Claire wrote: >...

server busy message
I am having difficulties with Outlook 2002. After several minutes of sitting on my taskbar, it locks up and I have to cntl alt del to close it. It also will not hot sync the calendar with my ipaq. I am running Windows XP pro and didn't have any problems like this with Win 98. Any help would be appreciated! ...