Waitstats Performance on sql 2005

If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be  an
acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following resources:

ASYNC_NETWORK_IO
CXPACKET
SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH
WRITELOG
PAGEIOLATCH_EX
PAGEIOLATCH_SH

Thanks in advance

There is to my knowledge no 'ratios' given as best practices between the
listed wait types.  It has been my experience (which is VERY deep on this
topic) that it is almost always completely obvious which one(s) of the waits
is really the problem indicator.

I assume you are intimately familiar with SQL Server 2005 waits and queues
best practices article, right??

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

"RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be  an
> acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following
> resources:
>
> ASYNC_NETWORK_IO
> CXPACKET
> SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH
> WRITELOG
> PAGEIOLATCH_EX
> PAGEIOLATCH_SH
>
> Thanks in advance

0
TheSQLGuru
11/30/2009 8:20:24 PM
Percentages are pretty useless by themselves. It is really the amount of
waits not the % that is most important. By the way Sleep_Bpool_Flush can for
the most part be ignored as it is a natural internal process.  But one thing
you do want to pay attention to % wise is the ratio of signal waits to
resource waits so u know if the wait is caused by CPU pressure or the wait
itself.

--

Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be  an
> acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following
> resources:
>
> ASYNC_NETWORK_IO
> CXPACKET
> SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH
> WRITELOG
> PAGEIOLATCH_EX
> PAGEIOLATCH_SH
>
> Thanks in advance

0
Andrew
12/1/2009 12:09:06 AM
Thanks Andrew.

I have attended a number of your sessions at the 5 PASS Summits I have
attended and the subjects are always good. If I go again next year I will
try and ask questions of the presenters rather than dash to the next
session. Your scheme was my takeaway this year and so I am trying to dig
deeper to understand what the waitstats are really telling me.

Thanks for correcting my terminology.

I am also trying to understand which wait types should be thrown away and
have had help from Jonathan Kehayias and Bob Ward amd am waiting for Bob's
gathering together of all the wait types and their meanings.

Chris

"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> again.  You imply that a thread is a resource and when it comes to waits
> that is not quite accurate. When a task needs to be done it is assigned to
> a thread on a scheduler. During the execution of that task if the thread
> has to wait on a resource such as physical disk it starts tracking the
> time and the thread gets pulled off the processor so another runnable
> thread can run. When the resource, in this case the pages from disk are
> available the thread must put back onto a scheduler to run again. The time
> it started the wait until the time the resource was available is
> considered the resource wait time. The time from when the resource was
> again available until it actually gets scheduled onto the processor is
> considered the signal wait. The higher the signal waits the more time it
> spent waiting to get onto a processor to do the work. High signal waits
> typically indicate CPU pressure such as too few cores for the given work
> load. But if you have tasks that keep getting waits such as CXPacket waits
> you can also get lots of signal waits since the threads may be swapped on
> and off the CPU a lot before it is all said and done. So signal waits will
> happen on a busy system when you have other waits since the threads will
> have to swap on and off. But very high signal waits is usually a sign of
> too workload for a given number of cores where the threads have to wait a
> while to get back on the procs after they were pulled off. Hope that
> cleared it up and if not just ask again, eventually we will have to
> give:).
>
> --
>
> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
> Solid Quality Mentors
>
> "Chris Wood" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Andrew,
>>
>> I attended your PASS2009 session on file and wait stats and am
>> implementing your scheme currently. If I have got this right the signal
>> waits are the time spent, when you have the resources(threads) and are
>> actually waiting because of the wait rather than the time of issuing the
>> function and it actually starting. You mentioned that sometimes a wait
>> will lose its resource(thread) and have to wait to get another one before
>> it could actual perform what it wanted to perform. The signal wait was
>> the time after starting the wait and getting a resource.
>>
>> If I have this right then in some circumstances the signal wait would
>> help to understand the reason for the original wait.
>>
>> Chris
>> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>>> Percentages are pretty useless by themselves. It is really the amount of
>>> waits not the % that is most important. By the way Sleep_Bpool_Flush can
>>> for the most part be ignored as it is a natural internal process.  But
>>> one thing you do want to pay attention to % wise is the ratio of signal
>>> waits to resource waits so u know if the wait is caused by CPU pressure

0
Chris
12/3/2009 6:49:41 PM
Chris,

Thanks, so are you saying I should pay you for now for attending my sessions
:).   Yes we are all waiting for Bobs wait stat paper. In particular the
preemptive waits. In the waitstats report example code from my session I
filter out a fair number of waits that you might want to have a look at. It
probably comes close to matching Jonathans. There are probably some more
preemptive waits that can also be filtered out that I may not have but
luckily they are not as common and don't interfere as much.

--

> [...]
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "Chris Wood" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> I attended your PASS2009 session on file and wait stats and am
>>> implementing your scheme currently. If I have got this right the signal
>>> waits are the time spent, when you have the resources(threads) and are
>>> actually waiting because of the wait rather than the time of issuing the
>>> function and it actually starting. You mentioned that sometimes a wait
>>> will lose its resource(thread) and have to wait to get another one
>>> before it could actual perform what it wanted to perform. The signal
>>> wait was the time after starting the wait and getting a resource.
>>>
>>> If I have this right then in some circumstances the signal wait would
>>> help to understand the reason for the original wait.

0
Andrew

Create custom button on POS screen that calls sql query
How can i create custom pos button that call's sql query and show the result of query on pos screen or open another screen that resembles pos screen. You may as well write your own executable program, and just launch that program when you click on the custom POS button. "Sam Thakkar" wrote: > How can i create custom pos button that call's sql query and show the result > of query on pos screen or open another screen that resembles pos screen. ...

using money 2005 from two different user accounts
Hi, I just upgraded to Money Deluxe 2005. My computer is using the Microsoft XP SP2 operating system. My wife and I have user accounts on the computer customized to our preferences and we would like to be able to use Money from either user login. I installede using My login and configured Money. Then later when using her login to open money it started with the screen as if it were a new install totally seperate from the one I had previously done. Is there a way around this, where when she opens money all the changes made under my user name would be there, or vice versa? Have you tried ...

GP 10 w/Terminal Server and SQL Server 2008 R2
We are a small office using Dynamics GP 10 by way of Terminal Server and SQL Server 2008 R2. We have experienced some weird problems. We have to pause between each request (to give it time to hit TS and return?) So we log into TS using Remote Desktop, Click to open GP (and wait) then type in user name and password (and wait). Select our company from the drop down (and wait). About 1 out of every ten times we will get our company and begin working. The other 9 times we get a message that GP is not responding and must close. We are wondering if the delay and GP not responding could be rela...

Windows Server 2008, Intel Xenon 7500 series SQL Server 2008?
What challenges will the Intel Xeon 7500 series together with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 help address for my business? That question is kind of off topic since this is a SBS Forum However, This might help http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/xeon/7500series/pdf/Xeon_7500_Quotes.pdf Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com http://www.twitter...

When is Money 2005 Available
When is MS going to officially release 2005? It looks good to me and would be a nice upgrade. I understand that there are some prolems with integrating the new moneycentral portfolio and 2005. JCByte amazon.com says September 13. Time will tell. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:950801c48627$82f38360$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When is MS going to officially release 2005? It looks > good to me and would be a nice upgrade. I understand that > there are some prolems with integrating the new > moneycentral portfolio and 2005. > > JCByte I d...

Using VC++ 2003 library in Vc++ 2005
Hello! I need to use a library that is compiled with VC++ 2003 and I wonder if I can use this library with VC++ 2005? The library is compiled with _USRDLL. // Anders -- English isn't my first, or second, language. So anything rude or strange are due to the translation If your library compiled with vs2003 then it should be compiling with vs2005. -- Vipin Aravind MVP [ Windows - Printing/Imaging] "Anders Eriksson" <andis59@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ixd7hj2x44tl$.dlg@morateknikutveckling.se... > Hello! > > I need to use a library that is compiled wit...

Performance Slowdown & Bottlenecks
I've got MS Money Premium 2004, and I cannot even move the window around without the CPU usage going up to 100%. The associated programs "mis.exe" and "misuser,exe" are also a major resource hog. Does anyone know if this pain in the neck goes away when one upgrades? What's the most important component to upgrade? I am running on W2K with a 700 MHz Pentium-something & 128 MB RAM. Thank you, Gerard By most all accounts M05 is worse than M04. For a W2K machine running 12* MB? Memory. But it won't solve everything, especially not the 700 MHz CPU. "G...

Money 2005
Version 14.0.80.1105, suddenly, I cannot add new accounts and I only have about a dozen in existance. When I click on "add new account", it goes to a page which says "select account type", displays the time out logo (hour glass), and sits there forever. No error messages. The only way I can continue at that point, is to click on the "stop loading" icon. I have tried letting it run for an hour with the hour glass on screen to no avail. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Wayne. ...

Exchange 2003 Performance and Outlook's Outbox
Hello, We have noticed that are users are saving items in the Outbox on a routine basis. They do this to "keep track" of work completed between team members. What kind of performance impact could this have on the servers? Thank you, Exchange2003 Exchange2003 <Exchange2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have noticed that are users are saving items in the Outbox on a routine >basis. They do this to "keep track" of work completed between team members. > >What kind of performance impact could this have on the servers? It will take longer and lon...

SQL SP4 and GP 8.0 SP 2 for Latin American
Hi, Does anyone knows if can I install lastest SP released to SQL (SP4) using GP 8.0 with SP2 installed? I have a customer who needs to do this and I need all possible information about. Thanks a lot.. -- Evelin. Hi Ana, I guess you can . We tested SP4 on out test GP 7.5 and v8 did not see any issues till now.We have enterprise SQL server 2000 SP4 , windows 2003 enterprise edt. Planning to apply the SP4 on live soon. Cheers R "Ana Evelin Rosa" wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone knows if can I install lastest SP released to SQL (SP4) using GP > 8.0 with SP2 insta...

Money 2005 #45
I did a backup restore and now it will not let me enter anything. Any ideas on how to fix this. In microsoft.public.money, Bandit wrote: >I did a backup restore and now it will not let me enter anything. Any ideas >on how to fix this. > When you do Help->About, what is the version number? ...

Inventory transfer SQL
Greetings, I am looking for a SQL statement that will transfer all inventory from one location to another. We run RMS 2.0. Thanks in advance. Lax Guy lax guy wrote: > Greetings, > I am looking for a SQL statement that will transfer all inventory from one > location to another. We run RMS 2.0. > Thanks in advance. > Lax Guy from offline to online or from a store to another store? cod Thanks for the response. We are moving all inventory from on store to amother. We do have HQ as well. "cod" wrote: > lax guy wrote: > > Greetings, > > I am looking ...

flexquarters, quickbooks sql link
does anyone know how to intergrate the program called flezquarters and RMS this program has a driver that converts the database files of quickbooks to sql , live in the background, they have a free download but I am not to good with sql. the link to the download is here http://marketplace.intuit.com/appcard/appinfo.asp?appid=2168&qid=3975245&catid= can someone help, this looks like a good way to finally connect all the tables of rms to quickbooks ...

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work
Have had Money programs for about 10 years. Last Wednesday, I was no longer able to access the internet (Money was still functional). Took it to a computer service who had to restore the XP operating system (apparently spyware, $70/yr to Norton and Webroot well freakin spent). Charged me $295 bucks. Bring it home and the desktop looks like it did when I bought it. Here is what I did. 1. Installed the Money 2005 standard (which came with computer) . Then tried to open my data file. Got the error message saying the file is corrupted or not a Money data file. 2. Realized that I received...

SQL Table size
Hello, I found once on the MBS support site a stored procedure to check at the size of SQL table size. This procedure is useful to avoid the SQL table size limitation when adding new fields especially string. Do someone know where to find it? Thanks for your help. SELECT ob.name Table_Name, sum(col.length) Max_column_Length from sysobjects ob, syscolumns col where ob.id = col.id and ob.xtype = 'U' and col.xusertype <> 99 and ob.Name not like 'conflic%' group by ob.name Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- --------------------...

Need installation guide for installing a two-node sql sever cluste
Where I am working now, an individual did a poor job of setting up an SQL Server Failover cluster and we must blow it away create a new one this weekend. For installation documentation, I am only finding bits and pieces in the books online and the knowledge base. Does anyone know of a book or white paper that will walk you through setting up the cluster from start to finish? Thanks, Steve K. Hi Steve, All the official documentation can be found in the implementation guide: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&DisplayLang=e...

Log Resets from Automatically Grow to Fixed Size in SQL Server 200
In SQL Server 2005, changed the log for the CRM database from a fixed size to automatically grow, saved changes, went back into SQL Studio, and was set to fixed size again. Need to be able to save this change and make it effective. -- Thanks, Justin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Ag...

Using a single cmdButton to perform different tasks
[Excel 2003] I have a user form with text boxes. I populate the text boxes using the following type of code: Private Sub CommandSheet1Get_Click() Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1") Me.txtname.Value = ws.Range("A1").Value End Sub I can edit the text boxes and then update the spreadsheet with the following code in another command button Private Sub cmdSendtoSheet1_Click() Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1") ws.Range("A1").Value = Me.txtname.Value End Sub Using this approach I can use a number of comm...

Money SBE 2005 & Washington Mutual Small Business Banking
I purchased Money 2005 Small Business about a week ago. I have been able to setup all my accounts accept for my bank accounts which are accessible through Washington Mutual's Small Business banking. According to Microsoft's website Money 2005 supports WAMU Business Banking and I see the option under new accounts, however when I click it in Money I get sent to the Yodlee account page, which does not have Washington Mutual Business Banking listed?? Any ideas? Thanks! Adam ...

Excel Chart properties from VB.Net 2005
Hi, I am trying to get a number of properties from a Chart in Excel from my VB.Net application. I can get the Chart Type and Chart Title, but need the following properties: 1) Check if the Data Labels show Percentage 2) Find out if the Chart is inserted as a New Sheet, and if so, what it is called (Name) 3) Check if the Title has a Shadow Border around it 4) Find out the Series (Source Data) used for the Chart Dim objExcelApp As Excel.Application = Nothing Dim objWorkBook As Excel.Workbook = Nothing objExcelApp = New Excel.Application() objWorkBook = objExcelApp.Workbooks.Open(strF...

Any ssues Installing SQL 2005 Service pack 1 on CRM Server
We have CRM Server 3.0 with SQL 2005 Server running at one of the client place. We want to apply SQL 2005 Service pack 1 on Server where CRM database is sitting. MS Support team, recently advised one guy in our team against installing SQL Service pack 1. Installing would have issues with the CRM server and would stop the CRM server from operating properly. MS team did not go into specific details as to what the issues were or any details of the types of issues it would cause, they just strongly advised against applying SP1. I would like to know does anyone had applied SP1 on Server. ...

mde, performance advantage?
I am running a multi-user db (5-10 users) which is run on runtime so the user do not have the ability to mess around. I am the sole person which has a full blown copy of ms access in the company. Is there an advantage for me to deploy my db as an mde in this case? Will I gain in performance? or can I leave it in the native mdb format? Thank you, QB "QB" <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote >I am running a multi-user db (5-10 users) which is run on runtime so the user > do not have the ability to mess around. I am the sole person which has a &...

Sql Server Version # from dfb file
Hi all, Q1: Is there a way to tell what version number a dbf file is? Q2: Where can I find a list of version #'s, ex, 621 = SQL 2005 Background: Using VS2005 and VS2010 with SQL Server 2005 Express. Somehow the DB on the production server got updgraded. It works fine on the server but the production boxs cannot open the db. Message says: (paraphrased) cannot open db ver 661, server is running 655. So the db file on the server is 661 and the production box is running 655. I added SQL 2008 R2 to the production box and can now open the db, but I want to have the a...

SQL Job, DTS and RunAs (Impersonation)
Hi, At a client I'm working at, we need to send files via SFTP to a server on completion of several steps of a SQL Job. The client has a command line SFTP program which requires when invoking, to impersonate a particular user otherwise the SFTP connection is not accepted. I have developed a small C# console app which uses System.Diagnostics.Process.Start to invoke the command line SFTP program as the required user and pass in the correct arguments (Windows RunAs does not allow a password to be passed in). The console app also waits for the SFTP program to complete. I have...

Is there a Money Link for 2005?
-- _______________________ Ed H. there will be one -- Michael Gordon MVP "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message news:31uil053d14ui83tef986se0rjufj73jqg@4ax.com... > > -- > _______________________ > Ed H. There will be. -- "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message news:31uil053d14ui83tef986se0rjufj73jqg@4ax.com... > > -- > _______________________ > Ed H. "Richard Bollar" <bollar@bollar...