SQL Express 2005 concurrent use of hosted and user instances

We have an application that makes use of a SQL Express 2005 database for
temporary storage of transaction data.   The database is hosted locally (as
the default instance name SQLEXPRESS) and is accessed via TCP using .NET
native client support.   Over several years and hundreds of installations
this was worked flawlessly, until recently.   We have been experiencing
periodic corruption issues across a large number of related installations.
The corruption has been observed in one of two forms: 1) the MDF and LDF
files get out of sync. 2) The master database gets damaged rendering the
SQLEXPRESS instance unusable.

One environmental difference common to these "problem" installations is the
use of a 3rd party application which also used SQL Express 2005 as a "User
Instance".

Could the concurrent use of both hosted and user instances of SQL Express on
the same machine be causing these issues?   Are there specific settings or
requirements needed to successfully run both types of instances concurrently?

Mark_L-1_ID (mbrown@newsgroups.nospam) writes:
> We have an application that makes use of a SQL Express 2005 database for
> temporary storage of transaction data.   The database is hosted locally
> (as the default instance name SQLEXPRESS) and is accessed via TCP using
> .NET native client support.   Over several years and hundreds of
> installations this was worked flawlessly, until recently.   We have been
> experiencing periodic corruption issues across a large number of related
> installations.   The corruption has been observed in one of two forms:
> 1) the MDF and LDF files get out of sync. 2) The master database gets
> damaged rendering the SQLEXPRESS instance unusable.
>
> One environmental difference common to these "problem" installations is
> the use of a 3rd party application which also used SQL Express 2005 as a
> "User Instance".
>
> Could the concurrent use of both hosted and user instances of SQL
> Express on the same machine be causing these issues?   Are there
> specific settings or requirements needed to successfully run both types
> of instances concurrently?

I have not worked much with user instances, but I can't see how that
it could cause problems.

You say that MDF and LDF files gets out of sync. I don't know exactly
what you mean, but taken to the letter the only I can think of that
to occur is if some backs up the file using the file system backup,
and then restores them.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Backing Up Outlook Express Emails
Does anyone know how to back up email's in Outlook Express? Backup your dbx-files For more assistance ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Cindy" <anonymous@discussion...

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Creating a template using Publisher

Repair SQL Corrupt database
Hi, I have a corrupt MS SQL Server 2005 database which I am trying to repair using: DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) Unfortunately this does not seem to fix anything. After running the repair multiple times, I ran DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB') WITH NO_INFOMSGS to see if it fixed the corruption, I noticed that is was returning a random amount of errors on each run. Does any know if It is the case that this database is beyond repair? If so will the best approach be to revert back to a non corrupt database backup and then roll forward using Transaction Lo...

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

single user mode
Hi, I need to be able to establish an exclusive connection to the database and do a restore to it. Nobody, can be connected to that database prior to the restore. Also, I need to be able to schedule it to run on a daily basis. I tried putting that db in a single user mode and then do the restored in a transaction but I got the error that the restore command is not allowed in the begin tran commit tran. How can I accomplish that? tolcis (nytollydba@gmail.com) writes: > I need to be able to establish an exclusive connection to the database > and do a restore to it. Nobody, c...

using dates Part 2

Download of Money 2005
Downloaded 2005 and keep getting error message that Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run money. Try installing money again. I tried and tried. It will not work. Called support-held for 30 mins.-no answer. What now? ...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

trouble using signature picker
The signature picker is ghosted out does anyone know how to correct this ? Signature picker was working earlier. Thanks ...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using ComCtrl32.dll
Hai I Want to have a XP Look and feel under windows2000 using VC++ and ComCtrl32.dll and does any one have any idea please help me as basically iam looking to develop a Skin Waiting for your reply suresh You will have to draw many of your own components. You could purchase a library like the one from www.codejock.com or www.dundas.com or or www.bcgsoft.com use something like this: These are for Office XP, but you'll get the idea. It's a ton of work: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/officexp.asp Tom "suresh" <s...

Outlook 2007: is there a way to use it as a Diary
I'd like to keep a daily journal of important notes, etc. In other words , I would like to keep a Diary. Does Outlook 2007 have this capability? TIA Sure - Ctrl+8 to view the journal or you can create a Mail and Post folder type and post to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH...

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...

VBA using an image as a toggle switch
Hi hope you can help. I know next to nothing about VBA and have adapted code below from stuff I had. I simply want to show hide portions of my page to cut down on screen clutter/information overload. I have assigned my macro to a screen image but was wondering if I could have a hide and unhide under the same button. Any help would be much appreciated Call Unl Application.ScreenUpdating = False Rows("25:75").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("98:148").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("171:221").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("244:294").EntireRow.Hidden = T...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...