Hi,
I've got a sql2008 server running on a VM. There's 9GB of physical RAM,
which 7GB have been allocated to SQL Server. But when i look at task manager,
i see that the SQL server is actually using all 7GB, which is pegging the
memory usage of the overal box at above 90% used. We're mostly a sql2005
shop, and none of those servers are doing this. I have sql2005 running on
VM's, someone actual servers as a named or default instance, and some even
clustered. None of them have this problem. Is this a normal thing with
sql2008 only? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
FS

FS (FS@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I've got a sql2008 server running on a VM. There's 9GB of physical RAM,
> which 7GB have been allocated to SQL Server. But when i look at task
> manager, i see that the SQL server is actually using all 7GB, which is
> pegging the memory usage of the overal box at above 90% used. We're
> mostly a sql2005 shop, and none of those servers are doing this. I have
> sql2005 running on VM's, someone actual servers as a named or default
> instance, and some even clustered. None of them have this problem. Is
> this a normal thing with sql2008 only? Any insight would be greatly
> appreciated.

It's normal behaviour of any SQL Server version since SQL 7. SQL Server
keeps a buffer cache to keep as much of the databases in memory as
possible.

The fact that other SQL Server instances does not use their full allowance,
may be because the databases they host are not that big, or are very well
optimised so that only a small amount of data has to be in cache.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/25/2010 10:57:28 PM
Well this server is rarely used and all of our SQL servers are on
hosts/clusters that are solely used for SQL Server so whatever RAM is
avaiable, we leave 1GB or 2GB for the OS and take the rest for the SQL
Server. It just seems odd that even though the server is not in use, all 7GB
are utilized. Then i look at our other SQL2005 server which hosts a trading
platform and is constantly heavily used has 55GB allocated to it, but
strangly only has 340MB allocated to it.

"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

> FS (FS@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> > I've got a sql2008 server running on a VM. There's 9GB of physical RAM,
> > which 7GB have been allocated to SQL Server. But when i look at task
> > manager, i see that the SQL server is actually using all 7GB, which is
> > pegging the memory usage of the overal box at above 90% used. We're
> > mostly a sql2005 shop, and none of those servers are doing this. I have
> > sql2005 running on VM's, someone actual servers as a named or default
> > instance, and some even clustered. None of them have this problem. Is
> > this a normal thing with sql2008 only? Any insight would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> It's normal behaviour of any SQL Server version since SQL 7. SQL Server
> keeps a buffer cache to keep as much of the databases in memory as
> possible.
>
> The fact that other SQL Server instances does not use their full allowance,
> may be because the databases they host are not that big, or are very well
> optimised so that only a small amount of data has to be in cache.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
>
> .

your statement about 340MB allocated to database server with 55GB of ram
makes  me believe you are using the wrong thing to see how much ram sql
server is using.  32 bit with AWE perhaps??

try dbcc memorystatus (search online for documentation).

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

"FS" <FS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well this server is rarely used and all of our SQL servers are on
> hosts/clusters that are solely used for SQL Server so whatever RAM is
> avaiable, we leave 1GB or 2GB for the OS and take the rest for the SQL
> Server. It just seems odd that even though the server is not in use, all
> 7GB
> are utilized. Then i look at our other SQL2005 server which hosts a
> trading
> platform and is constantly heavily used has 55GB allocated to it, but
> strangly only has 340MB allocated to it.
>
> "Erland Sommarskog" wrote:
>
>> FS (FS@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
>> > I've got a sql2008 server running on a VM. There's 9GB of physical RAM,
>> > which 7GB have been allocated to SQL Server. But when i look at task
>> > manager, i see that the SQL server is actually using all 7GB, which is
>> > pegging the memory usage of the overal box at above 90% used. We're
>> > mostly a sql2005 shop, and none of those servers are doing this. I have
>> > sql2005 running on VM's, someone actual servers as a named or default
>> > instance, and some even clustered. None of them have this problem. Is
>> > this a normal thing with sql2008 only? Any insight would be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> It's normal behaviour of any SQL Server version since SQL 7. SQL Server
>> keeps a buffer cache to keep as much of the databases in memory as
>> possible.
>>
>> The fact that other SQL Server instances does not use their full
>> allowance,
>> may be because the databases they host are not that big, or are very well
>> optimised so that only a small amount of data has to be in cache.
>>

>> --
>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>>
>> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
>> SQL 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
>> SQL 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
>> SQL 2000:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
>>
>> .

0
TheSQLGuru
3/26/2010 2:27:31 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll look into the dbcc command, but for now the ony
thing i'm looking at (and concerned about) is what i see in task manager. The
memory being used by the sql service is 340MB as opposed to the 7GB. So my
sql2005 server that is heavily used has low memory usage via task mangager,
while my barely used sql2008 server has high memory usage via task manager.
Just trying to figure out why that is and if it's only a sql2008 thing?

"TheSQLGuru" wrote:

> your statement about 340MB allocated to database server with 55GB of ram
> makes  me believe you are using the wrong thing to see how much ram sql
> server is using.  32 bit with AWE perhaps??
>
> try dbcc memorystatus (search online for documentation).
>

> --
> Kevin G. Boles
> Indicium Resources, Inc.
> SQL Server MVP
> kgboles a earthlink dt net
>

> "FS" <FS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well this server is rarely used and all of our SQL servers are on
> > hosts/clusters that are solely used for SQL Server so whatever RAM is
> > avaiable, we leave 1GB or 2GB for the OS and take the rest for the SQL
> > Server. It just seems odd that even though the server is not in use, all
> > 7GB
> > are utilized. Then i look at our other SQL2005 server which hosts a
> > trading
> > platform and is constantly heavily used has 55GB allocated to it, but
> > strangly only has 340MB allocated to it.

> >> It's normal behaviour of any SQL Server version since SQL 7. SQL Server
> >> keeps a buffer cache to keep as much of the databases in memory as
> >> possible.
> >>
> >> The fact that other SQL Server instances does not use their full
> >> allowance,
> >> may be because the databases they host are not that big, or are very well
> >> optimised so that only a small amount of data has to be in cache.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
> >>
> >> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> >> SQL 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> >> SQL 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> >> SQL 2000:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
> >>
> >> .
> >>

> .

FS (FS@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Thanks for the response. I'll look into the dbcc command, but for now
> the ony thing i'm looking at (and concerned about) is what i see in task
> manager. The memory being used by the sql service is 340MB as opposed to
> the 7GB. So my sql2005 server that is heavily used has low memory usage
> via task mangager, while my barely used sql2008 server has high memory
> usage via task manager.
> Just trying to figure out why that is and if it's only a sql2008 thing?

No, you are looking at a mirage.

Obviously, your SQL 2005 instance is a 32-bit SQL Server. If you look at
the Mem Usage column in Task Manager, you will not see the memory that
is accessed through AWE. There is a figure PF Usage which shows the overall
memory usage on the server, and you will probably find it close to 50 GB.
And you can be sure that most of that memory is SQL 2005.

The SQL 2008 instance on other hand, is obviously 64-bit SQL Server on
64-bit you don't have this funny AWE thing, but there is a flat memory
space.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/26/2010 10:33:45 PM
You can also get correct memory usage values from various PerfMon counters
as well as dbcc memorystatus.

--

> Thanks for the response. I'll look into the dbcc command, but for now the
> ony
> thing i'm looking at (and concerned about) is what i see in task manager.
> The
> memory being used by the sql service is 340MB as opposed to the 7GB. So my
> sql2005 server that is heavily used has low memory usage via task
> mangager,
> while my barely used sql2008 server has high memory usage via task
> manager.
> Just trying to figure out why that is and if it's only a sql2008 thing?
>
> "TheSQLGuru" wrote:
>
>> your statement about 340MB allocated to database server with 55GB of ram
>> makes  me believe you are using the wrong thing to see how much ram sql
>> server is using.  32 bit with AWE perhaps??
>>
>> try dbcc memorystatus (search online for documentation).
>>

>> --
>> Kevin G. Boles
>> Indicium Resources, Inc.
>> SQL Server MVP
>> kgboles a earthlink dt net
>>

>> "FS" <FS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well this server is rarely used and all of our SQL servers are on
>> > hosts/clusters that are solely used for SQL Server so whatever RAM is
>> > avaiable, we leave 1GB or 2GB for the OS and take the rest for the SQL
>> > Server. It just seems odd that even though the server is not in use,
>> > all
>> > 7GB
>> > are utilized. Then i look at our other SQL2005 server which hosts a
>> > trading
>> > platform and is constantly heavily used has 55GB allocated to it, but
>> > strangly only has 340MB allocated to it.

>> .

0
TheSQLGuru

How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003?
Hi, How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? Many thanks, aushknotes "aushknotes" <aushknotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:508426F2-1C8A-4AD2-A52E-B80B9798AC0C@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? > Prefix @ to the name of the attribute value. XmlAttribute attrib = (XmlAttribute)dom.selectSingleNode("/path/@attributeName"); -- Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET aushknotes wrote: > How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? ...

SQL Reporting Services and GP 10
Hello: Is it possible to associate SQL Reporting Services reports with SOP invoices in GP 10.0 rather than with Report Writer? I know that Accountable Software has Forms Printer, but I believe that that only works with Crystal. And, I know that there are SRS reports written to display data from GP but I do not think that these reports will work in terms of printing invoices or orders from SOP. Thanks! childofthe1980s No not really.. The problem is that when an SOP or POP document is printed, GP needs to be updated. Accountable does that with their Crystal interface but I dont kno...

install sp1 on sql 2008 r2
Hi, i'm a bit confused. I just installed sql 2008 r2 (build 1600) and i need to install the SP1 but my doubt is, what is sql 2008 R2? is it sql 2008 + Service Pack 1? what update does it include with the "r2"? do i have to install sp1 or it's already included? thanks!! R2 is like a whole new version of 2008. Actually a half version :). It was just released so all there is to load is the RTM version. There are no service packs for it yet. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "iNewbie" <iNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com>...

SBS 2008 Std.
Setup: SBS 2008 Std, with two WinXP Pro PC's in the domain. Firewall is a SonicWall TZ-100. ISP is Windstream. We've had the server less than a month and are slowly rolling out features. Convinced the boss to let me install WSUS, but I'm confused. In a previous job I managed SBS 2003 with ISA 2004; it was quite clear what my proxy server was. However, that was the ONLY network I ever worked in as the sole admin. What's going on is that I can't detect computers from within the SBS console. I'm pretty sure I got the GPO's right for the PC's and ...

Data Validation using List (But needs unique list in drop down lis
Hi all, In sheet 1, column A is my title name while column B is person name. Sheet 1 is my database where i do data entry in this. In sheet 2, contains my query page. In cell A5, i uses data validation - list, on this cell. Say in sheet 1 : column A column B XXXXXXX Mr A YYYYYYYY Mr A ZZZZZZZZ Mr A AAAAAAA Mr B WWWWW Mr C DDDDDDD Mr C But In sheet 2, cell A5, I saw in the drop down list as follows: Mr A Mr A Mr A Mr B Mr C Mr C But i want to see this in cell A5 instead (Unique name that is) : Mr A Mr B Mr C ...

Problem with Asset Allocator pie charts
Everything "seems" to be working fine with Money 2005 Premium (after restarting the program multiple times). I'm having a problem with many of the pie charts. They do not show up at all. I upgraded from Money 2004. Any ideas? I'm running Windows XP Professional if that's of any help. Thanks, Patrick I've seen them going on a new file on Win XP Pro - do you get them on a new file, or do they not appear on both a new and old one? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;...

How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ?
How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) In news:u6NrOZiyFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, RikS <riks.tw@yahoo.com.tw> typed: > How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange > 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) Don't know how you'd do this offhand, but I wouldn't. If users are misusing BCC, educate them, and make this an HR issue. It really isn't a technical one. HI Riks go to new mail over there on toolbar u will be getting option in that opti...

How To Allocating Rent Between Two Categories?
Original Question: [The part I need help with is that the amount in column G has to be allocated to the following accounts in this order Gas, Hydro, Promo FC CAM Mkt CAM Base % Rent I'm just working on allocating the last two, so I'm assuming that there is rent remaining to be allocated from column G after allocating to Gas, Hydro, Promo, FC CAM and Mkt CAM. The remaining balance has to be allocated first to base rent than to % rent on a monthly basis. If some rent is allocated to % rent, and the next months sales are so low that the base rent is fully filled we need to first reduc...

class unable to write the memory
Hi I've got a class like this class MyClass{ .... somemethods .... protected: int a; } MyClass::MyClass(){ a = 1; } I call the class constructor in the Doc constructor, like I always do, but this time the constructor is unable to modify the memory With the step by step debug I see the 'a' var set to random value as usual, when the compiler runs the 'a=1;' instruciont, the a variable mantains its random value. How is this possible? > I call the class constructor in the Doc constructor, Are you explicitly calling the constructor or it is being called because...

Where to download: SBS 2008 with Windows Server 2008 Service Pack
I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 referenced below for download there. http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.aspx Can someone please point me at where I can find this version available for download? Thanks ozinca wrote: > I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 > referenced below for download there. > > http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.a...

Could very much use a Field List
I apologize if this is out there already, but it seems that at least a few field names changed from 1.2 to 1.3. Although I had downloaded a field list before, from here, I cannot even find that original post, let alone any more recent that might contain the correct field names. I need to do some custom SQL and would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance very much to anyone who could help. Bud Izen Salem Oregon Do you have MS Access? Make a new project and attach to the database as your data source. You will be able to see all the tables and the field names. It has been ...

screen freeze after long time running
Hi I have a program written in Microsoft Visual C++ .NET . Its interface is based on CFormView. It includes three tabs to show information and plots. The plots are made by BitBlt() which copies data from the vectors to the screen around every 5 minutes. The problem is that after the program runs continuously for more than 3 days the screen freezes. Nothing is updated. I have to minimize the window and it may return to normal look. Some static labels on the interface also freeze or appear strange look. Does anyone have similar experience ? Thank you for your hints or suggestions! <e...

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe In Windows 2008 Server R2
I am not certain why I keep getting this exception message. In fact I get a pop up most each time I try to access or connect using IE. Did a bit of searching, and have not found a good fix for this yet. I am running a Windows Server 2008 64bit machine. I tried blaming it on IE add-ons, but now I am running in NO-ADDON mode with no add-ons but the problem persists.I would appreciate it if someone helped with with a fix for this on my server. ERRORS TYPES SO FAR ============================================= Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16385, tim...

Outlook out of memory????
This may be a problem associated with Exhange Server and maybe not. We have public folders and shared folders on our server running Win Server 2000. Lately, everyone's Outlook is giving the following error and you have to reboot to get it up and running again. "Unable to display folder. Out of Memory or System resources. Close some windows or programs and try again." If you close some programs etc. it does not work. Is Outlook taking up a lot of memory because of the shared and public folders within outlook? We all have about 512 RAM so I wouldn't think that is the ...

Backing up SBS 2008 premium
Hi I have a SBS 2008 premium installed on a VMWare ESXi server. We are looking to get the backups to tape as well as disk for this server, and right now i am doing backups with the internal windows backup software to a internal extra harddrive. The disk that is being used is formatted and handled of the backup software and this also means i do not actually have access to the disk as a logical drive for example. So i want to copy theese files to tape (on another backup server) and would like to get access to the backup files, how can i do this? is there a way of sharing the bac...

My computer has stopped recognizing my memory card
This just happened today. The card was purchased the day after Thanksgiving so it's very new. It is a 4GB SD card from HP. I don't believe this is a hardware problem as my digital camera Lexar 1GB Memory Stick Duo card and adapter worked just fine today in the same slot. There has been no damage to the card. It has a write-protection lock on the side and I've tried the card with and without the lock on - neither way worked. I've also checked "My Computer" and confirmed that the computer is not listing my card as a drive any longer. I really need to get t...

Use CountIf for a literal string
I am trying to count the number of cells in a range that contain the string <0.1. I don't want the number of cells that contain numbers less than 0.1, I want the actual string. Is there an escape character for comparison operators like the tilde for wild cards? Thanks, Chad Try this... =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="<0.1")) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "chadkwelch" <chadkwelch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73F17509-1C52-4935-A45D-66DCC63B20C6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to count the number of cells in a range that ...

Monitoring directories using FindFirstChangeNotification
All, I would like to monitor a few different directories using FindFirstChangeNotification. I have successfully used it in the past to monitor one directory. All the directories I would like to monitor are on the root of a drive, but I do not want to monitor all the directories on the root. Example: the root of the T drive, T:\Dir1 T:\Dir2 T:\Test T:\source T:\Backup T:\Update How can I montor the T:\Test, T:\source, and T:\Backup at the same time using FindFirstChangeNotification? Thanks in advance. Hi, You need to use the following API's to monitor the changes in a specific ...

Using outlook for email and outlook express for newsgroups
Hi I had outlook set up for my email messages and outlook express set up for reading newsgroups - now when I go to the newsgroups oe is automatically checking for email messages and downloading them - this never happened before and I think the only thing different is that I have installed a broadband modem and am waiting on freeserve activating my account - could something have happened to change this, and if so how do I change it back. Thanks Sharon "Sharon" <sharon@nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:c80adp$dva$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk... > Hi > > I ha...

Using a OR() like function in an IIF statement
Hello, I am trying to create an IIF statement to test if the first character in a field is a 1,2,8 or 9. Something like the following: IIf(Left([possible_SO_match],1)="1 or 2 or 8 or 9",[Possible_SO_Match],"No Match") Is there a way to create it without going to a 4 level nested IIF statement? Thanks, Kerry -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com kkulakow via AccessMonster.com wrote: > Hello, I am trying to create an IIF statement to test if the first > character in a field is a 1,2,8 or 9. > Something like the following: > > IIf(Left([possib...

Can't use address book
I am not able to add contacts in my address book. I receive the error: You cannot create entries for this address book when I try to add a new entry. I use Office 2000, with full Outlook. I would like to have an address book again... I have uninstalled and reinstalled office 2000 - no change in the problem. You get this error in trying to create a new item in your contacts folder? (sounds like you are select tools | address book | highlight "outlook address book" and trying to create a new item. you can't create items in the "outlook address book". this f...

Posting Date used in Revenue Expense Deferral
I have a PM Invoice with Document Date 16/11/2009 and Posting Date of 01/12/2009. Entered Deferral details starting 01/12/2009. In GL the deferral charges commence 01/12/2009 and are all as expected. The Credit entry for the full invoice is posted to GL with posting date of 01/12/2009. The problem I have is that the Debit entry for the full invoice amount is posted to the document date of 16/11/2009 and I want it to be the same as the invoice posting date (01/12/2009) Is there a way to do this? Thanks Audrey ...

[ANN] Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 available now
Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 update is live! Fixes bug where Open XML files couldn't be opened. Only English version is available now. Other languages soon. It is also not available via the Microsoft AutoUpdater (MAU) at this time. Download from Mactopia. <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx> Steps for a good install: Quit all Microsoft applications including the hidden ones. Easy way, Log out of your User under the Apple menu Log in holding down the Shift key to disable all startup items Install the updater you downloaded from Mactopia Restart -- Diane Good tip f...

conditional running sum
Is it possible to have a conditional running sum in access. I have found for Excel but no details for access 2007. I would like to have in a report or query that will have a weekly grouping. I have a query that has calculations in it and that will be by source. I have the following sample fields: Date Adbn% 01/01/09 (Mon) 5% 01/02/09 (Tues) 6% 01/03/09 (Wed) 9% 01/04/09 (Thurs) 6% 01/05/09 (Fri) 8% I need it to end up with the following: Date Abdn% 01/01/09 5% 01/02/09 5.5% Avg of Mon&Tues 01/03/09 6.6% Avg Mon...

Using DAO instead of ADO
I have an Access 2000 database that was converted from Access 97. On one of my users computers, her system was re-installed with Access 2000, and the database has not worked correctly since that time. If I remember correctly, we had to set up the computers for these users to use DAO over ADO. It's been over two years since we did this, and (I hate to admit it - but) I've forgotten to how to set up the DAO to take precedence over ADO. Can someone please remind me? I thought it was part of the Add-ins, but when I go into Add-in Manger, I have NO add-ins available. I've checked i...