Question on Paging File on 64 Bit Server

We have a 64Bit Server.  SQL Server 2005 SP3 CU4 is installed.  There are 3
instances.  The Maximum Server Memory for I1 is set at 16GB, I2 at 30GB, and
I3 at 16GB.  The rule use to be that the paging file should be set 1.5 times.
 Thus, the paging file would be set at 96GB.  However, 96GB for a paging file
seems a little high.  We have our paging file defined on our E Drive.  The E
Drive has 67GB.  Currently our paging file is set with an initial size of
25GB and a maximum size of 30GB.  I am not sure that this is set correctly.
On some web pages some people suggest setting no paging file.  But this
doesn't seem right to me as well.  Is there a new rule as to how to set the
paging file for a 64GB Server?  Would 16GB suffice?  The database is 17GB.

I have found these web pages
http://blogs.technet.com/perfguru/archive/2008/09/24/guidance-on-page-file-size-x64-and-x32-machines-windows-2003-servers.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654/

However, I am still confused.

I asked this question at PASS earlier this month. The 1.5 times RAM is if
you want a full memory dump as your O/S has problems. The best suggestion is
to set it at say 32 to 48Gb and look at its use with PerfMon. If it isn't
getting used then bring it down slowly.

HTH

Chris

"lcerni" <lcerni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a 64Bit Server.  SQL Server 2005 SP3 CU4 is installed.  There are
> 3
> instances.  The Maximum Server Memory for I1 is set at 16GB, I2 at 30GB,
> and
> I3 at 16GB.  The rule use to be that the paging file should be set 1.5
> times.
> Thus, the paging file would be set at 96GB.  However, 96GB for a paging
> file
> seems a little high.  We have our paging file defined on our E Drive.  The
> Drive has 67GB.  Currently our paging file is set with an initial size of
> 25GB and a maximum size of 30GB.  I am not sure that this is set
> correctly.
> On some web pages some people suggest setting no paging file.  But this
> doesn't seem right to me as well.  Is there a new rule as to how to set
> the
> paging file for a 64GB Server?  Would 16GB suffice?  The database is 17GB.
>
> I have found these web pages
> http://blogs.technet.com/perfguru/archive/2008/09/24/guidance-on-page-file-size-x64-and-x32-machines-windows-2003-servers.aspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654/
>
> However, I am still confused.