How much memory should be free on a Server with SQL Server installed?

I am the new DBA in a company and I see that their production server
has between 90 and 95% of memory been used. The problem is that
according to the task manager, is not SQL Server or related services
which is using the memory, in fact is using only 460MB and MS SQL
Server Analysis services is using 571MB, Rerporting Services use
252MB. This server has 8GB and I don't the see the sum of all the
other processes give around 500MB more.

The sum is around 2GB then. What can be using the resting 5.5GB? And
if is SQL Server, where can I see that in detailed?

I found that as a problem because I am running a Maintenance plan that
is continuosly failing but the log file says that succeded. When I try
to see the history of the Maintenance plan in Management Studio, it
gives me an "Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException" error so I
can not see the actual log of the maintenance plan, I just can go to
the .txt file to see the log.

The SQL server is configured to use the 8GB, no AWE option enabled and
is a 64bit version, in a 4 processors server. Minimum memory per query
is 1MB. OS is Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server is 2008 too.

I will appreciate a lot your reply and possible solutions.
0
ISO

I think in your case you should configure the SQL Server use 6GB, and leave
at least 2GBof memory to the operating system. SQL Server 2008 64 bits does
not require AWE option enalbed.

DBCC MEMORYSTATUS command will give you the detail memory status of SQL
Server.

Lijun

"Abraham Oc�n C." <abraham.ocon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the new DBA in a company and I see that their production server
> has between 90 and 95% of memory been used. The problem is that
> according to the task manager, is not SQL Server or related services
> which is using the memory, in fact is using only 460MB and MS SQL
> Server Analysis services is using 571MB, Rerporting Services use
> 252MB. This server has 8GB and I don't the see the sum of all the
> other processes give around 500MB more.
>
> The sum is around 2GB then. What can be using the resting 5.5GB? And
> if is SQL Server, where can I see that in detailed?
>
> I found that as a problem because I am running a Maintenance plan that
> is continuosly failing but the log file says that succeded. When I try
> to see the history of the Maintenance plan in Management Studio, it
> gives me an "Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException" error so I
> can not see the actual log of the maintenance plan, I just can go to
> the .txt file to see the log.
>
> The SQL server is configured to use the 8GB, no AWE option enabled and
> is a 64bit version, in a 4 processors server. Minimum memory per query
> is 1MB. OS is Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server is 2008 too.
>
> I will appreciate a lot your reply and possible solutions.

0
Lijun
8/5/2010 4:25:00 PM
Abraham Oc�n C. (abraham.ocon@gmail.com) writes:
> I am the new DBA in a company and I see that their production server
> has between 90 and 95% of memory been used. The problem is that
> according to the task manager, is not SQL Server or related services
> which is using the memory, in fact is using only 460MB and MS SQL
> Server Analysis services is using 571MB, Rerporting Services use
> 252MB. This server has 8GB and I don't the see the sum of all the
> other processes give around 500MB more.
>
> The sum is around 2GB then. What can be using the resting 5.5GB? And
> if is SQL Server, where can I see that in detailed?

Yes, I think it is SQL Server. If memory serves, if the service
account has the permission "Lock Pages in Memory", the memory does
not display in Task Manager.

I got this query from SQL Server MVP Glenn Berry:

SELECT physical_memory_in_use_kb,locked_page_allocations_kb,
       page_fault_count, memory_utilization_percentage,
       available_commit_limit_kb, process_physical_memory_low,
       process_virtual_memory_low
FROM sys.dm_os_process_memory;

It shows you the actual memory usage for SQL Server.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Suspicion of CListCtrl memory leak, Help !
I have a testing MFC DialogBase project which has only one control -- ListCtrl. When the app exit , i found that the memory is not free by the system by watch the System Performance dialog page. All that i do is within CListCDlg::OnTimer() func, show as bellow: < code snippet> void CListCDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CListCDlg) DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_LIST1, m_MyList); //}}AFX_DATA_MAP } void CListCDlg::OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent) { TCHAR sContent[ 128 ]; //I have not alloc any data from heap, all the data added to CListCtl is ...

SQL and DLookup
Can you use DLookUp in SQL? Test2SQL = "UPDATE table1 IN '" & strPath = DLookup("BackName", "tblBackPath", "BackID=1") & "' " & _ "SET table1.IDName = '" & Forms!Form1!TxtInfo & "' " & _ "WHERE table1.IDNumber = 1;" DoCmd.RunSQL (Test2SQL) Thanks DS DS wrote: > Can you use DLookUp in SQL? > > Test2SQL = "UPDATE table1 IN '" & strPath = DLookup("BackName", > "tblBackPath", "BackID=1") & "' " &...

Web Services Installation GP 10.0
I am having trouble installing the GP 10 Web Services. I am following the BP Installation Guide to install BP 4.0 on SharePoint 2007. I have separate servers for SQL 2005(running GP10 successfully) and for MOSS. I am to the point on page 41 where I have to install "Web Services for Microsoft Dynamics GP". I have the "Web Services Installation and Administration Guide" and am on page 26, Step 5, "select the web site and installation location". It is not clear how to create the web site on the IIS (MOSS) Server. I can't use the default web site, that is...

Excel Out of Memory error
I am trying to open about 65MB worth of Excel files at one time on a PC that has 512MB RAM and when I try to open the last 5-10MB file I always get the error Not Enough Memory error. You got to love the descriptive messages that Microsoft gives. Anyway, I looked at Microsoft's site and there is no apparent limit to the size of a file or files that can be open in Excel except for the ammount of RAM installed in the PC. With the maximum number of files that I can open I am only using 224MB of my 512MB installed. Can someone out there please help me out with this issue? see http://...

Memory leak in MFC dll
Hello, if there has been some memory leak when some dll function is called. later when the dll is unloaded from the process address space does OS still keep that memory leak portion as used in its managment or after the unloading of dll the memory leak is recovered ?. Thanks Best Regards Danish No. Memory belongs to the process, and it has no idea if it was allocated via a call from a DLL or for some other reason. So if the memory is allocated and the DLL is unloaded, the runtime libraries have no concern whatsoever about the lost memory occurring; it is your responsibility to make sure th...

CRM installation 90-day trial (X13-018486) installation problem
Greetings, I have been struggling with implementing the trial edition of CRM so I'd like to ask for some help. 1. I have installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprised 32 bit on an Intel Dell Box. 2. I have make it a domain server unto itself. 3. I have started the DNS server. 4. I have installed the Microsoft SQL server 2005 without issues. 5. I downloaded the trial and burned a CD. The CD was verified good by the burner program. I used the CD X13-018486 image. 6. The first time I attempted to install the program and after I entered the demo license key, several missing (and expec...

SQL tables to keep inventory serial number
Hi; I found the following table in SQL server to keep the serial number of an inventory item. IV00200 and IV30400. Can anyone tell me, which table is used to keep the sold serial number item? I want to generate a report in Crystal Report to present how many serial number item is on hand and how many is sold. I found, before the invoice posted in SOP, the serial number of the item can be found in IV00200 with different flag on a column called "SERLNSLD". Once the invoice posted, the serial number in this table is gone. Thanks! SOP10201 keeps the unposted as well as posted...

update will keep installing the same file over and over
The file has been sucessfully installed 20 times according to my update history. I have used the malware removal tool and antispyware and antivirus and nothing was found. I have turned off the auto update as this is driving me crazy. I could not install it in safe mode. Anyone have a solution? The 2 update files are KB 954430 and KB973688, but I doubt that makes a difference as others have had the same problem, but no one has a solution yet. These files demand a reboot after install. Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in t...

Windows Installer Starts Everytime Excel 2007 runs!
I have Office 2007, everytime I run Excel 2007 the Windows Installer/Configuration box pops up and essentially installs Excel(EVERYTIME), as you can see this is very annoying, it takes up to 2 mins or longer many times, I have gone to many sites and forums, I have changed registry values, re-installed it, everythjing I have been told to do,but yet no luck, I have found other similar type of problems with pssible solutions and still no help. If anyone knows how to fix this issue do not hesitate to help. I would greatly appreciate it. Have you seen this one?... http://support.microsoft...

Inserting into Access on a machine that doesn't have Access Instal
Can you insert a record into an Access database using Asp.net or a visual basic application that doesn't have Access installed on that machine. I know that you would need Access to view what was inserted but will the command to insert into the database complain if Access is not installed? Thanks You do not need MS Access to insert/update/view records in a Jet database (*.mdb file), as long as you have apps/tools that uses Jet engine to access data in *.mdb file, including your VB application, if you do it right. "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Emails not left on server =(
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I got a mac, and put entourage on it. I added my exchange work account as a pop3. Everything seems to be working fine there. Unfortunately, 'leave copy of email on server' was not checked, so all emails were downloaded to my mac, and no longer remain on my outlook on my desktop at the office. Is there any way to undo this, or have the server/laptop restore my email to my outlook on my desktop? On 2010-05-18 11:12:47 -0400, alexfawaz@officeformac.com said: hi, > I got a ...

Disjoin the CRM server from Domain
Hi, Due to issues, with Active Directory as described in Q305971, I need to disjoin the CRM server from the domain then join again (I am not renaming the server) I would like to know if this is likely to cause any problems with CRM? Regards, William King ...

Backing up Exch 2003 to a stand-by server (Exmerge + Exprofre)
Hi, I'm currently using Exmerge to export mailboxes from ExchServer1 to ExchServer2 (which will be used in case of ExchServer1 failure). No clustering used. As Exmerge only permits to import to the hosting mailbox server indicated in AD for each user (ExchServer1), I tried to use Exprofre to manually migrate profiles. Although, I added an X500 address containing the DN (CN=user1,CN=Users,DC=xxx,DC=com) for each user, I have the following error: [17:59:43] Erreur: f:\df7408\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(222): CActiveDirectory::SearchForTheUserProfile() HRESULT=0x5012 The users...

Installation Question
My installation goes well so long as I accept the default location on the database, However when I try install the database in any other location I get errors. What location are you trying to save the databases to? Great Plains SQL installation will only allow you to save the SQL database files to the SQL server local drive. You can configure SQL to create databases on a UNC path by using a DBCC TRACEON (1807) flag: but this is not recommended since it will affect the SQL performance and is not supported. Regards James "Bill Gordon" <BillGordon@discussions.microsoft.c...

SBS 2003 + Terminal Server
Our company is in process to implement Great Plains and MS Solutions Partner suggested next configuration: 1 server - WS 2003 standart (Terminal Server) 2 server - WS 2003 Standart + SQL 2000. Is it possible to use on server 2 Small Business Server 2003 Premium ? What about problems with domain? Regards, I do not believe it is possible to have two machines running Windows SBS 2003 because each machine will want to be the domain controller. I think you'd be better off with: Machine 1: Windows 2003 with Terminal Services Machine 2: Windows 2003 with SQL Server. This machine can also...

EX 2002 Error When You Save Workbook to Network Server
When ever you save a file to a non MS server it throws this response: "The File May Have Been Changed..." you can overide the file or cancel. The work around said that if you know you are the only that has opened the file then just override. This happens right when I open the file and try to save. So I know for a fact I am the only that has it open an no one else has made changes. I found the KB article on it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324491 But they do not have the hotfix avaliable. Is there another way to get the hotfix. There was a link to this:...

Event 111 (EXOLEDB schema) in New Exchange 2003 BE server
We are testing Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 - Microsoft have helped to verify the installation We are now getting the following on our backend server. Event Type: Erro Event Source: EXOLED Event Category: General Event ID: 11 Date: 1/29/200 Time: 4:17:47 P User: N/ Computer: XX Description Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to do Schema propagation on MDB startup HRESULT = 0x80040e19. and also Event Type: Erro Event Source: MSExchangeE Event Category: General Event ID: Date: 1/29/200 Time: 4:17:48 P User: N/ Computer: xx Description An unexpected MAPI error occurred. Error retur...

Syncing Outlok with the Mail Server
If I have outlook set to "Leave Mail on Server" is there a way I can tell Outlook to re-download all the messages that are on the server? I guess it knows which it has already downloaded because it doesn't download them again, but I need some of them off the server again because they aren't in my outlook any more. THanks. No, Outlook tracks what mail has been downloaded, and, if working, will not download them again. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Mr B <ladeeda@hahaha.com&g...

Exchange 2007 32bit Eval not installing
I have tried installing the 32bit eval on a windows server 2003 sp1 and all I get is a screen that shows windows installer switches and commands and then a message that says setup encountered an error. All updates applied. Totally stumped as to why it will not work. On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:13:03 -0700, "Kevin" <kcarpenter@viewpointleather.comREMOVEME> wrote: >I have tried installing the 32bit eval on a windows server 2003 sp1 and all >I get is a screen that shows windows installer switches and commands and >then a message that says setup encountered an error. A...

Cannot install CRM server
Hi When i try to install the CRM Server it complains about my machine not being part of a domain and the user is not is not logged in as part of the domain admins group. I have checked both the it still comes up with the error. Our network is Running a NT 4.0 server as our dns server Is there a work around for this or am I doing something totally wrong? Thanx in advance Anwar You need to be on a Win2000 Domain using Active Directory in native mode. I am not an admin of domains but my guess is that if you are using NT as a dns server you are not on a native mode domain. Have you read th...

IM 10.0 Link to SQL table
I am trying to link to the pm00200 on my PM Transaction integration. My source data in excel has the vendor name not vendor id. I am trying to link the vendor name to the pm00200 to return the vendor id field. I can setup the relationship, but when the integration runs it comes back with 'null value not allowed for field vendor id. I remember seeing something in tech knowledge before, but I cannot find the document now. ...

Links/documents on how to migrate exchange 2003 to a new server
we have exchange 2003 on a domain controller!! Wwe have recently purchased a brand new server, installed windows server 2003 on it. Now we want to install exchange 2003 onto it and then remove exchange from the domain controller. Do you have any links/ documents showing step by step instructions on how to complete this. Also when i install exchange 2003 on the new server will i have to reconfigure everything again i.e SMTP connectors, smart hosts etc etc... or is there a way i can somehow migrate all the configuration settings from the domain controller to the new server? Thanks On Tu...

Install trouble: hresult 0x8131534
Hello all... Been trying for the past 3 days to get CRM install in a lab environment, but to no success. The lab is set up with a SQL2005 server (DEVSLQ), the crm server (DEVCRM) and the domain controler (DEVDC). All thes are VM machine, each running on different VM server (Microsfot VS 2005 SP2). At first DEVSQL and DEVCRM where on the same server, but decided to try one more time by puttin it elsewhere. Every time I try to install CRM, I am now getting at the end an error that I can't seem to find ANY reference of... The closest to it is related to OLEDBTimeout, and did the mod...

Removing Exchange 5.5 Servers
I've migrated to Exchange 2003 about two years ago. However, the two exchange 5.5 server we use to use are still listed in exchnage manager on the exchnage 2003 box. The orignal exchange 5.5 server we migrated was shutdown two years ago since hten. I tried turning back on but was unable to connect to the domain. It was a NT4 box and we're running a 2000 domain. It stated unable to connect to domain controller. in the past I had to use a host file to connect from the NT4 boxes since rebuilding the domain controller that holds all the master roles. I also have an exchnage 5...

Install Office 2008 and then uninstall Office 2004
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I've installed Office Home & Student 2008 and I already had the 2004 version installed. Now I want to uninstall the 2004 version to free up hard disk space. Fonts, dictionaries,etc were not installed for the 2008 version and were left in the 2004 version by the 2008 installer. QUESTION: if I uninstall the 2004 version which items in the 2004 version are needed by the 2008 version and will be uninstalled...and how do I get them back? On 8/16/09 4:54 PM, in article 59b7a5d2.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Booogy...