help with a query... 08-17-10

 I need to create a complex query which gets data from 3 SQL tables.

Table 1 - Department

Dept_Id (int) primary key
Dept_Name  (vchar)
Include_Unavailable (bit)

Table 2 - Employee

Employ_Id (int) primary key
Dept_Id (int) foreign key
Employ_Name (vchar)

Table 3 - Schedule

Sched_Id (int) primary key
Employ_Id (int) foreign key
Date (datetime)

My query is as follows:

SELECT  Department.Dept_Name, Employee.Employ_Name
FROM Department, Employee, Schedule
WHERE ??

In my query I want all departments and employees listed who work on a
particular date.  In addition, if the Department.Include_Unavailable
is 'true' I want to create a row with the department and employees who
work in that department  even if they are not schuled to work on the
day I am querying.  I will eventually list these employees as
'unavailable'  but do not want to list all unavailable employees as
unavailable.  Only employees that work in departments that have
Department.Include_Unavailable set to 'true'

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

RABMissouri2010

0
RAB

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 04:48:11 -0700 (PDT), RAB <rabmissouri@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I need to create a complex query which gets data from 3 SQL tables.
>

>Table 1 - Department
>
>Dept_Id (int) primary key
>Dept_Name  (vchar)
>Include_Unavailable (bit)
>

>Table 2 - Employee
>
>Employ_Id (int) primary key
>Dept_Id (int) foreign key
>Employ_Name (vchar)
>

>Table 3 - Schedule
>
>Sched_Id (int) primary key
>Employ_Id (int) foreign key
>Date (datetime)
>

>My query is as follows:
>
>SELECT  Department.Dept_Name, Employee.Employ_Name
>FROM Department, Employee, Schedule
>WHERE ??
>
>In my query I want all departments and employees listed who work on a
>particular date.  In addition, if the Department.Include_Unavailable
>is 'true' I want to create a row with the department and employees who
>work in that department  even if they are not schuled to work on the
>day I am querying.  I will eventually list these employees as
>'unavailable'  but do not want to list all unavailable employees as
>unavailable.  Only employees that work in departments that have
>Department.Include_Unavailable set to 'true'
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>RABMissouri2010

This is much easier if you use 'modern' join syntax.

SELECT  Department.Dept_Name, Employee.Employ_Name
FROM Department d
inner join Employee e on e.Dept_id = d.Dept_id
left outer join Schedule s on s.Employ_id = e.Employ_Id and s.date =
'20100101'
WHERE d.Include_Unavailable = true or s.Sched_id is not null

Fetch all the employees for each department, and the schedule entry
only if the schedule has a matching date.
Now filter out those employees with no matching schedule, unless the
Include Unavailable flag is set.

SELECT  Department.Dept_Name, Employee.Employ_Name, case when
s.Sched_id is null then 'Unavailable' else 'Available'
FROM Department d
inner join Employee e on e.Dept_id = d.Dept_id
left outer join Schedule s on s.Employ_id = e.Employ_Id and s.date =
'20100101'
WHERE d.Include_Unavailable = true or s.Sched_id is not null

Gives the status as well.

Iain
0
Iain

Excel 97 VBA Help File

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Help, I cannot Save!

Help Required

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Web query timeout setting.

Invoice Numbers 10-27-07

GP 10 AP Reconciliation Statement
Hi All, I have one query about the reconcile feature that is available in GP 10 to reconcile the AP and AR to GL. It has come to my notice when i take a recon statement for AP it does not match with the AP historical aged trail balance after taking into consideration the unmatched and potentially matched transactions. I have taken the AP smartlist for the given period and compared it with the transaction being displayed in the recon statement. What has come to my notice is the recon statement is not taking few transaction like invoice or payment for some reason. I faced this issue with almo...

Need HELP! for Linking data

Help with Registration

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Need macro help to close excel

Help with simple(?) VBA function

If Then Help!!!!
Hi! I'm stuck. I have a working macro but it needs a small tweek. The macro executes a find statement and performs calculations from the find to the end of the column. The problem is when nothing is found. I need an if statement or suggestion on how to tell it to skip the calculations if there is nothing found. This is what I have so far(with no if's): Cells.Find(What:="RIM", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas _ , LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate Selection.End(xlToRi...

Odd e-mail duplication problem

Integration Transactions Pls help
Can anyone let me know how much time does the integration manager takes to upload a 10,000 lines(SOP) into GP There are two methods of importing SOP transactions. One uses the SQL optimized adapter and one does not. The method used depends upon the data you would need to map. There are some fields and business logic not available with the SQL adapter. But, assuming you are using the SQL adapter, you should be able to import 10,000 transactions in about 60 minutes or less. If you are using the other one, start it and go home for the night. It will take hours. If you have some reso...

SQL query / Formula for Reorder Point?

Column help
I have a seating chart I am trying to design for our graduation ceremony. Right now I have the report set up using columns. I have a rectange box with the graduates first, middle and last name in the box. I need 16 columns across the page for the seats which I have working. My problems are that I need a bold line going down the middle to divide the 8th and 9th rows. ( Students come in from 2 lines and meet in the middle of each row.) My next problem is that I need to have another column to the left of the 1st column and one to the right of the 16th column that will count the row num...