Demoting a 2003 Domain Controller Hosting SQL Server

We have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes as domain 
controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this goes 
against all good practice, and that is partly why I am trying to do the 
following.

We additionally have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, which 
we wish to make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two existing 
WS2003 DCs.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to demote the 2003 DCs whilst 
they are hosting SQL Server 2003? I can stop the instance service, but I 
wouldn't want to uninstall SQL Server unless I really had to.

TIA

Charles
 

0
Charles
4/8/2010 11:54:51 AM
sqlserver.server 1327 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
911 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:54:51 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>We have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes as domain 
>controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this goes 
>against all good practice, and that is partly why I am trying to do the 
>following.
>
>We additionally have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, which 
>we wish to make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two existing 
>WS2003 DCs.
>
>Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to demote the 2003 DCs whilst 
>they are hosting SQL Server 2003? I can stop the instance service, but I 
>wouldn't want to uninstall SQL Server unless I really had to.
>
>TIA
>
>Charles
> 

Hi Charles

Looking at
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/e/50ec0a69-d69e-4962-b2c9-80bbad125641/ReadmeSQL2005.htm
section 2.5.12 it is not recommended to either promote or demote a
domain controller after SQL 2005 is installed.

Alhough it is bad practice you may want to leave it as it is unless
there is some other reason to change it. I assume there are no
problems with these servers. If you want to upgrade the OS or SQL
Server versions then that may be the time to do it.

John
0
John
4/8/2010 8:12:01 PM
Hi John

Thanks for the link. It seems pretty clear that I shouldn't do what I was 
going to do. Just in the nick of time. I am going to upgrade these servers 
shortly, so that's exactly when I'll do it.

Cheers

Charles


"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:ficsr5l8k8f210j6euikt2ljmd7tbekei7@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:54:51 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>We have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes as domain
>>controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this goes
>>against all good practice, and that is partly why I am trying to do the
>>following.
>>
>>We additionally have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, 
>>which
>>we wish to make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two 
>>existing
>>WS2003 DCs.
>>
>>Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to demote the 2003 DCs whilst
>>they are hosting SQL Server 2003? I can stop the instance service, but I
>>wouldn't want to uninstall SQL Server unless I really had to.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Charles
>>
>
> Hi Charles
>
> Looking at
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/e/50ec0a69-d69e-4962-b2c9-80bbad125641/ReadmeSQL2005.htm
> section 2.5.12 it is not recommended to either promote or demote a
> domain controller after SQL 2005 is installed.
>
> Alhough it is bad practice you may want to leave it as it is unless
> there is some other reason to change it. I assume there are no
> problems with these servers. If you want to upgrade the OS or SQL
> Server versions then that may be the time to do it.
>
> John 

0
Charles
4/9/2010 11:08:44 AM
Hi Charles,

hmm - as there will definitly some major chances in the local security / 
authentification area unsure if this will work at all but the answer would 
be here .... it depends :-)
You should create a backup before you do this and if you need to do that I 
personally would drive here like this :

#########THIS IS NOT TESTED AND JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION :-)###############
You should make 1 of the member server's to a 3rd DC before you proceed with 
the next steps.
1. Failover all ressources from cluster and evict node1 + reboot (+ your 
should amend temporary the zoning for all LUN's in W2K3 it is best practice 
when the cluster service is not running on the evicted node !)
2. dcpromo (un- promote) + reboot
3. re-join to SQL cluster + reboot
4. failover all ressources to new node1 and evict node2 + reboot (+ again 
youl should amend temporary the zoning for all LUN's in W2K3 it is best 
practice when the cluster service is not running on the evicted node !)
5. dcpromo (un- promote) + reboot
6. re-join to SQL cluster + reboot
7. test SQL instances and check your eventlogs + replication
#####################################################################
How to evict a node (W2K3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123503(EXCHG.80).aspx

As I said never have done this before and unsure if this will work, 
therefore do your BACKUP and if possible test the sceario before !

BUT AS JOHN STATED SQL WILL BE VERY ANGRY WHEN YOU DO THAT .... :-(

Hope that helps

Regards
Ramazan


"Charles" <blank@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
news:uvOkGU91KHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi John
>
> Thanks for the link. It seems pretty clear that I shouldn't do what I was 
> going to do. Just in the nick of time. I am going to upgrade these servers 
> shortly, so that's exactly when I'll do it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Charles
>
>
> "John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:ficsr5l8k8f210j6euikt2ljmd7tbekei7@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:54:51 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>We have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes as domain
>>>controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this goes
>>>against all good practice, and that is partly why I am trying to do the
>>>following.
>>>
>>>We additionally have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, 
>>>which
>>>we wish to make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two 
>>>existing
>>>WS2003 DCs.
>>>
>>>Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to demote the 2003 DCs whilst
>>>they are hosting SQL Server 2003? I can stop the instance service, but I
>>>wouldn't want to uninstall SQL Server unless I really had to.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Charles
>>>
>>
>> Hi Charles
>>
>> Looking at
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/e/50ec0a69-d69e-4962-b2c9-80bbad125641/ReadmeSQL2005.htm
>> section 2.5.12 it is not recommended to either promote or demote a
>> domain controller after SQL 2005 is installed.
>>
>> Alhough it is bad practice you may want to leave it as it is unless
>> there is some other reason to change it. I assume there are no
>> problems with these servers. If you want to upgrade the OS or SQL
>> Server versions then that may be the time to do it.
>>
>> John
> 
0
RCan
4/9/2010 9:33:34 PM
Hi Ramazan

An interesting suggestion, but I think I have enough fear that I won't try 
it. Thank you anyway. If someone else is more brave then I'd be interested 
in their experience.

Charles


"RCan" <noospam@arcor.de> wrote in message 
news:D43F9195-44C9-4A60-8854-CEA40DC4FADE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Charles,
>
> hmm - as there will definitly some major chances in the local security / 
> authentification area unsure if this will work at all but the answer would 
> be here .... it depends :-)
> You should create a backup before you do this and if you need to do that I 
> personally would drive here like this :
>
> #########THIS IS NOT TESTED AND JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION 
> :-)###############
> You should make 1 of the member server's to a 3rd DC before you proceed 
> with the next steps.
> 1. Failover all ressources from cluster and evict node1 + reboot (+ your 
> should amend temporary the zoning for all LUN's in W2K3 it is best 
> practice when the cluster service is not running on the evicted node !)
> 2. dcpromo (un- promote) + reboot
> 3. re-join to SQL cluster + reboot
> 4. failover all ressources to new node1 and evict node2 + reboot (+ again 
> youl should amend temporary the zoning for all LUN's in W2K3 it is best 
> practice when the cluster service is not running on the evicted node !)
> 5. dcpromo (un- promote) + reboot
> 6. re-join to SQL cluster + reboot
> 7. test SQL instances and check your eventlogs + replication
> #####################################################################
> How to evict a node (W2K3)
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123503(EXCHG.80).aspx
>
> As I said never have done this before and unsure if this will work, 
> therefore do your BACKUP and if possible test the sceario before !
>
> BUT AS JOHN STATED SQL WILL BE VERY ANGRY WHEN YOU DO THAT .... :-(
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Regards
> Ramazan
>
>
> "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
> news:uvOkGU91KHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi John
>>
>> Thanks for the link. It seems pretty clear that I shouldn't do what I was 
>> going to do. Just in the nick of time. I am going to upgrade these 
>> servers shortly, so that's exactly when I'll do it.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>
>> "John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:ficsr5l8k8f210j6euikt2ljmd7tbekei7@4ax.com...
>>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:54:51 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>We have a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes as domain
>>>>controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this goes
>>>>against all good practice, and that is partly why I am trying to do the
>>>>following.
>>>>
>>>>We additionally have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, 
>>>>which
>>>>we wish to make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two 
>>>>existing
>>>>WS2003 DCs.
>>>>
>>>>Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to demote the 2003 DCs whilst
>>>>they are hosting SQL Server 2003? I can stop the instance service, but I
>>>>wouldn't want to uninstall SQL Server unless I really had to.
>>>>
>>>>TIA
>>>>
>>>>Charles
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Charles
>>>
>>> Looking at
>>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/e/50ec0a69-d69e-4962-b2c9-80bbad125641/ReadmeSQL2005.htm
>>> section 2.5.12 it is not recommended to either promote or demote a
>>> domain controller after SQL 2005 is installed.
>>>
>>> Alhough it is bad practice you may want to leave it as it is unless
>>> there is some other reason to change it. I assume there are no
>>> problems with these servers. If you want to upgrade the OS or SQL
>>> Server versions then that may be the time to do it.
>>>
>>> John
>> 
0
Charles
4/9/2010 11:29:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook 2003
When I type in a name to address an email, unless I have mailed them already and they appear on the recently used list, I then get a Check Names dialogue box and have to then search for additional names, even though the name is in the Address Book. Not sure why this is happening - I do have the Option to Suggest Names checked? Any ideas? Thanks State the steps you are using more clearly. You are talking about two completely different features here, the first is autocompletion, the second autoresolution. The latter will not prompt you for a search unless you have entered an invali...

Hey Microsoft! Exchange 2003 Question
Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and Level2 attachment lists? I don't want my Outlook users to have to save a certain type of file to the disk first. If so how? Thanks This may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be901c3db86$5e56e700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and > Level2 attachment lists? > I don't want my Outlook users to ha...

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

Resizing to Scale in Visio 2003
Maybe a simple question - First you create a technical drawing to a certain scale on 11"x17" diagramming paper. Each inch of paper is a 10x10 square so 100 small squares make up one square inch. There are 17 squares horizontally and 11 squares vertically. 1. First Question: can this drawing be scanned for use by Visio 2003 and in what format? 2. Second Question: can Visio Resize this drawing image to a much larger size but Preserve the Scale that was used? If so I would then print this new Resized drawing on a drafting type print device to produce a drawing plan. Thank y...

Publisher 2003, inserting information into labels
I have created a label template in Publisher 2003. There are six labels per page. The only item that will change on each label will be the serial number. I have tried to use the catelog merge to get the respective serial numbers on each of the labels. Unfortunately, that has not worked. Instead of getting six different serial numbers on six different labels per page, I get one serial number on six different labels on one page. Is there a way to get different six different serial numbers on six different labels on one page? You may have to run this through twice or setup your names ...

Server backup
Hi, I have a question how to organize backup server for Greate Plains or Greate Plains Basic. I have 2 servers. There is GPB on server1. How to copy and synchronize data that I can easily switch from one server to another, if for example something happened with server1. I have 2 DNS connections on each workstation: GPB (on server1) and GPB Backup (on server2) I've tried to create replication (standard SQL Server feature) from server1 to server2, but have several problems: when something failed on server1 on trigger procedures, I can't recreate it, because replication has created additi...

mailboxes are getting larger on Exchange Server
Dear all, I ve a problem in my exchange server 2003. * The mailboxes are getting larger and although i m delvering the mails to PST files *Many mailboxes shows that they r above the limit "mailbox disabled" .... i m using a quata for the mailboxes. and by browsing the mailbox i dont c any thing in the mail box from the user's side ... the only solution is to expand the its quota then it returns to normale stauts very strange!! Note: I m taking backup every day "the normal backup size was 17 GB after that its 65 GB" *It only took one day to get to the 65...

Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager #5
I have XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro with Business Contact Manager. I am using MSN for dial up ISP but have other POP3 email accounts. 1-Can not get Outlook to send message out to mail server. SMTP. Error says it found the server, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. I sent the error to the mail admin and he checked all setting on the server and says there is not problem on his end. I have never had to set SSL settings and port settings for email. 2-Just started Outlook 2003 and received the following error: There was a probl...

cant see pictures in publisher 2003
Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >-----Original Message----- >Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of >picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC >MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >. > If you can click on the image and see outline grabs. Do so and then choose Order from the Arrange ...

Missing Information after server migration to Exch 2003
I'm consulting at a company and they asked me to look at two problems they're having. However I do not know much about Exchange. This all happened before I worked there. As it was explained to me, they had Exchange 2000 running on a server. They got a new server with Exchange 2003. Everything was moved over to the new server. The old server was 'shut down'. Actually, the server is still up (a DC) but Exchange was un-installed. Problem 1: They had delegates set up for their calendars. They're all gone. Nobody can access anybody else information. Is there a way other ...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

Saving Excel workbook in SQL server using c#
Could anyone please help me out as to how we can save the excel workbook in the database and read it back. I was able to convert the text files and image files into binary format and save them to the DB and finally able to retrive them back in the same format. But was unable to do same for the excel object. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, regards, jitender ...

HELP: Excel userform version control issue
Hi All, I have an excel userform that is posted on my companys intranet. The issue I am having is, users are saving this form to their hard drive and then using it(Instead of launching it everytime from intranet), SO basically when I have a new version of form on intranet they still use the old version as they have a habbit of saving it on their hard drive. Is there a way to resove this? something like they would see a popup message saying that "This is an older version that you are using, Please launch the form from Intranet for newer version". Thanks in advan...

Removing non-existent DC from 2000 Domain
Hello, We have a Windows 2000 domain with 2 DC. One of them crashed and we bought a new hardware and Windows 2003 Server to replace it. But I can't in no way to remove the account of the failed DC from AD and when I try to add the new server with the same name as the failed one into the domain, I got an error: "The specified user already exists" Do one knows how can I remove all data, related to the failed DC from AD, so I could add a new DC with the same name? I have already used NTDSUTIL and removed the failed server from the site, but it seems this is not enough. Thanks, G...

Server-side solution for disabling Outlook stationery
We're running an Exchange 2000 mail server, with users accessing their mailboxes via Outlook 2000 or 2002. We'd like to find a way to either disable e-mail stationery use from the server, or prevent outgoing mail from containing stationery, again from the server. Have tried a few ideas so far, with no success. Telling users to stop using stationery is an option we'd like to avoid (we're rather non-confrontational). We prefer to stop it from the back end. Any ideas? Jim Minardo Field Technician IC-2000 ...

How can I forward an email as attachment in 2003
Hi Could anybody please tell me how to send emails as attachments in Outlook 2003? Thank you, Paul -- Paulobrien29 Make a new email and then use Insert Item to insert the email you want to send. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Paulobrien29" <Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com... > > Hi > > Could anybody please tell m...

Installed Exch2007 into existing 2003 site, cant send mail
I installed an Exchange 2007 server into our domain. This server is meant to be a test server. It created a different routing group for itself. It seemed to propogate all the correct settings for the connectors and our DMZ smart hosts, yet, on the test account I created, I cannot send email to either internal users on Exchange 2003 or to the Internet. -- "Technology also allows us to get very angry and abusive with people who can't punch us in the nose at that very minute." Scott Adams ...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Want COM Server
Hi all from Spain, I usually create a coClass that is instantiated many times, every time you call "coCreateInstance" the aplication class and the coClass constructors are called, so a new object is being created. I wander if it's posible to create a "singleton" COM Object, so that the object is not created every time y call for the interface...the reason is that I need an object that maintain in memory some data only 1 time (because the amount of memory needed). do you know if that could be done? regards, Alberto. IrvingWashington wrote: > Hi all from Spain,...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...

Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
Hi all My Scenario Two Windows 2000 SP4 Servers with Exchange 2000. It`s an active/active cluster with two exchange instances. I must migrate just one instance to a new cluster with Windows 2003 Sp1 with Exchange 2003 I must keep the four servers ( two win2k exch 2000 clustered , and two win2k3 with exch2003 clustered) Anyone Could Help Me? Thanks a lot This might get you started: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html As a general rule MS do not recommend Active Active clusters for Exchange. You may want to reconsider keeping the exist...

OWA authentication default domain
I'm running Exchange 2003 OWA. The exchange server is sitting behind a firewall, we are port forwarding web traffic to the exchange server. Users are getting asked for username/password, but are getting rejected when they do no enter the domain before the username (e.g. DOMAIN\username. I've set the default domain within IIS (using ESM), and we are NOT USING FORMS-BASED AUTHENTICATION. any ideas? thanks Andrew. Are you using a sigle server configuration or front-end/back-end? What kinds of authentication methods are enabled on the Exchange virtual dir? -- Blog "subject: exc...

Fax Server SBS2003 and CRM PRO 3.0
Hi I have 2 server 2003, one is a SBS2003 Standard with exchange and Fax service of Microsoft and one is Windows Server 2003 Standard with SQL 2005 and CRM 3.0. I have this problem ..... how i can send the Fax from the SBS2003 in the CRM 3.0? there is a router for the fax at the same of router for enchange? Thanks ...

Outlook 2003 hangs for Brad
Hi There, Brad in "down under" in Australia here. Can anyone please help with an answer why my outlook 2003 has been working fine up until a week ago and for the past 7 days hangs after a few emails comes in. Sends me a "not responding" message at the toolbar area. Have to restart and then it reloads the same emails and hangs again. Have contacted the ISP and deleted all incoming emails... problem is OK for a day after this is done but returns the next day when new emails come in. I'm desperate... hope someone out there can shed a little light... Many thanks be...

PLEASE explain xmlDocument on server, but the html transform on client???
If someone could just explain this to me...I just don't get it! I have an aspx page where I retrieve several session variables and use xmlDocument to transform xml file with xsl file into an instruction document (not data based) - same as using an xml web control. The resulting html is on the client? but what about the server side of things? Trying to figure out how to change and save the xmlDocument. It I put a button OUTSIDE of the html transform but inside the aspx page, could I change and save the xmlDoc that way? Sorry to be so dense about this...PLEASE help me out with explanation...