Database Mirroring and Insert Statement

In SQL Server 2005, in Dev environment, the application takes 10-15 minutes
to insert 129,000 records but in prod it takes 2 hours. Dev is not set up for
database mirroring but prod is set up for database mirroring. The database is
identical and server hardware in prod is better. There is no other activity
happening in prod. during that time. What could be the possible reasons.

>The database is
> identical and server hardware in prod is better.

"Better" is a relative term. I frequently see installation where a test or
dev environment has one single disk and a prod environment has a SAN,
possibly with a RAID level which isn't ideal for lots of writes, which is
also shared by other systems.

But of course mirroring also adds overhead. Each log write need to be done
at both ends. If you run sync/full safety (default and only option in
standard edition), then a commit (log write) is synchronous with even more
waiting time. SQL 2008 has compression of log records as optimization. I
would first evaluate hw and network options and then evaluate whether you
can go async and finally consider if 2008 log compression will help.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

"Fraz" <Fraz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In SQL Server 2005, in Dev environment, the application takes 10-15
> minutes
> to insert 129,000 records but in prod it takes 2 hours. Dev is not set up
> for
> database mirroring but prod is set up for database mirroring. The database
> is
> identical and server hardware in prod is better. There is no other
> activity
> happening in prod. during that time. What could be the possible reasons.

0
Tibor

If Statements #12
I have 2 cells with asterics in them, D11 and I11. I am trying to write a forumla using if statement =IF(D11="*",1,"") How could I combine both cells to add them if they both have *? Thanks one way: =COUNTIF(D11,"~*")+COUNTIF(I11,"~*") In article <B8BDDA8A-EA00-475E-9427-6E06540EC5BC@microsoft.com>, "anat" <anat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have 2 cells with asterics in them, D11 and I11. I am trying to write a > forumla using if statement > =IF(D11="*",1,"") > How could I c...

Text Color using IF Statement
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the text color when usin an IF statement? Example: IF (C<4, "Pass","Fail") results in "Pass for values less than 4, but if the value is greater than 4 I want th word "Fail" tp appear in red. Currently I am using Excel 97 Thanks for the hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not possible with a formula but have a look at 'Format - Conditional Format'. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cformatting.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, G...

Does an if statement calculate both the true and false?
I have a spreasheet, with 40000+ rows. I have an if statement which is basically if(A1="OK",0,long and complex formula). Almost all instances are "OK" with a few exceptions requiring the complex, time consuming part of the formula. Does excel calculate that part of the formula even for cells which are "OK" and hence taking up loads of time, or does it ignore it knowing it doesn't need to return it? Thanks! Chris Hi, VBA evaluates both parts of the formula, the Excel worksheet IF function only evaluates one part of the formula depending on...

Version control for SQL Server databases
It is my understanding that version control for sql server databases can be problematic. I have been thinking about this problem on and off for a while, and over the last couple of hours the beginnings of a system have crystallized. I am going to sketch the first draft of this evolving idea below. If anyone recognizes the mechanisms as already existing in some product or solution, please let me know. If anyone recognizes problems or limitations of the system, please let me know about those too. Once again, this is just a first draft that I have been brainstorming for about 2 hours, ...

Is it possible to find which sql statement is running?
I have a sql batch: --1 select .... from ...... --2 insert into .... -- 3 delete .... -- 4 select something else.... Each step takes a long time to run. Is it possible to check which statement the SS is running at a moment? ...

Unable to insert Access queries
When trying to use ms-query to import data from an Access database, I've found that it doesn't allow me to open some of the queries (views) from access. It seems that the queries I have trouble importing have the nz() function in calculated fields of the access queries (views) (or in a sub-query). Is this simply not supported or is there a way to work around it? In the Access query, instead of Nz, use an IIF formula. For example: EstHrsCalc: IIf(IsNull([EstHrs]),0,[EstHrs]) Craig A wrote: > When trying to use ms-query to import data from an Access database, I've found that...

RMS Statements
How do you get the current date to print on a statement? ...

Convert Access Database to Excel?
I am a very new Access/Excel user. Is it possible to convert an Access database to Excel? Thank you -- mae Somewhat. At the core of Access, there are tables which are easily transferrable to Excel. Limitations are that Access can store MANY more records/rows than Excel (pre-2007) can hold. To check, open up the Access tables, and see how many records there are. (note that its from here you can easily select all data, copy, and paste into XL) Typically, Access is used when dealing with large amount of records, or if you need lots of interactions/relations between the tables. But, wit...

Qry-Statements
I want my report to show if my product is (specked) or (non-specked) In the query i am able to get only one of them to show up. I have tried use OR, and AND. They still only show one. I have created two drop down's on the form and have tried combinding them and that does not work. Can anyone help. -- Lisa S. Lisa We aren't there. We can't see what you are looking at. We have no idea what data you are storing in your tables, nor how you are querying them. More info, please! Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.co...

Converting Access97 Database to Access2002
When I try to Convert my Access97 files that are on 3 1/2" floppy diskettes, I get Error 3799. "Could not find field 'Description'". Why does this happen? How can I get these files converted? Be sure to copy the files to the hard disk before attempting to convert them. On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:04:45 -0700, "Peglynne" <abi@apostolic.org> wrote: >When I try to Convert my Access97 files that are on 3 1/2" >floppy diskettes, I get Error 3799. "Could not find >field 'Description'". Why does this happen? How can I >...

Database design decision: contact information
I need some advice with a design decision. Customer wants to track people, along with various means of contacting them. The easiest way is to have the fields CellNumber1, CellNumber2, EMail1, EMail2, FaxNumber built into tblPeople. An alternative is to have tblPeople linked to tblContactInfo which is linked to tblContactMethods, thus providing "n" number of contact methods and the various modes. Am I making more work for myself by using the latter approach? Thanks! Larry On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:46:53 GMT, "Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com>...

Access 2007 database on Windows Vista and Windows 7
I created a database using Access 2007. I am going to distribute it as a runtime application using the Access 2007 runtime engine. The problem is that engine is only supported up to Windows XP SP2. What do I need in order for my database to run on PC's with Windows Vista and Windows 7? Is there a version of the runtime engine that will work with those operating systems? Access 2007 runtime works on XP (SP2 or SP3), Vista and Windows 7 (I believe). I think Microsoft just didn't update the web page to indicate that it works on Windows 7 (maybe it's not officially t...

how do I insert an endnote in publisher
Endnotes or footnotes can be inserted with word, How can it be done with publisher? Wray wrote: > Endnotes or footnotes can be inserted with word, How can it be done with > publisher? Manually, using superscripts, possibly extra text boxes, optionally the line tool. Publisher does not have endnotes or footnotes built in. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

confidentiality statement on all emails
How can I place a confidentiality statement on all emails sent by the whole company. We are using Exchange 5.5. Perhaps this KB can help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258206 Martin Moustgaard "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:2c0101c42867$fc10f9d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I place a confidentiality statement on all emails > sent by the whole company. We are using Exchange 5.5. ...

HELP!!!Database tables list
Can someone explain me how i can obtain the list of tables contained in a mdb files opening it at run-time by user, so that i can show the list in a list control ? in other words i need a VC++ app that let the user choose different mdb or dsn and open them showing the contents in tables...but i must handle all the process dinamically so i need open files or dsn then know the list o f tables contained else how could i open them and show result? take a look at the OLEDB interfaces. I know this exists, because several years ago we considered using OLEDB and Access databases. For a variety...

moving CRM databases
How can I relocate the CRM databases, on an existing production CRM server, to a different partition on the same server (i.e. from the D: drive to the F: drive) - without re-installing CRM? thx in advance, FGF Useing SQL Enterprise manager select database you want to move and then chose option (after right click) detach database, fisicaly move database files (*.mdf and *.ldf) and then attach database back to SQL Server. "fgf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39b801c4a08f$e80d4dd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can I relocate the CRM databases, on...

External running of Access 2000 databases
Is there a way to make a mdb or mde viewable to someone that doesn't have Access? I don't care how many conversions, if any, are nesseccary. Look into purchasing Office 2000 Developer. It comes with a royalty-free run-time version of Access that you can distribute with your application so that people who don't have Access already installed can install the run-time and use your application. Unfortunately, Microsoft no longer sells previous versions of Access. One possibility is to check out sites that specialize in old software products, such as http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/ o...

Grouping inserted pictues with Charts
Is there a way to group pictures and text boxes with a chart? Hi, I was able to add textboxes and pictures and group them in the normal way even if they where embedded within a chartobject. Can you explain further what you are wanting to do? Cheers Andy Justin_Yuen@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to group pictures and text boxes with a chart? > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I want to be able to put pictures, arrows, lines, text boxes, etc in a chart so if I were to copy or move the chart, all of the things I put in the chart will go with it....

Excel Database
I need help with creating a name and address database with Excel Use one header row. One name per row. Put each field into a different column. different columns for Honorific (mr., mrs. ms. the reverend, etc) First Name middle Initial Last Name First Address 2nd address city st zip (zip+4) phone number (enter as numeric and format it as special|Phone) And any other field you can think of should be a separate column. It's really easy to combine two fields into one (=a1&" "&b1), but it's much more difficult to separate them. Different fields for each kid's...

My "Compact & Repair Database" is missing !!
My "Compact & Repair Database" is missing. I cannot find it in TOOL--> Database Utilities. Just now, i tried to customize the location, so i dragged it to somewhere else, now i cannot find it anymore !! Pls help me to get it back !. Thank you so much ^_^! -- Allen Phailat Wongakanit "ali" <ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:148E0FB2-FBF5-4302-9C8D-339560829074@microsoft.com... > My "Compact & Repair Database" is missing. I cannot find it in TOOL--> > Database Utilities. > > Just now, i tried to customize ...

If Statements 12-03-09
=IF(Info!B14<>"",Info!B14,IF(Info!B15<>"",Info!B15,IF(Info!B16<>"",Info!B16,"")))I'm trying to create an if statement, that if a certain cell is blank, it will automatically pull from the next cell down, and so on. The only problem is that I can't figure out, how to prevent it from pulling from the same cell twice. Below is a sample of the formula I'm using. =IF(Info!B14<>"",Info!B14,IF(Info!B15<>"",Info!B15,IF(Info!B16<>"",Info!B16,""))) -- Scott ...

Insert copied row into a list
In Excel 2003, I can insert a row into a list by inserting a row into the spreadsheet. That is, I can right-click along the row numbers along the left, then insert a row. However, if I try to insert a copied a spreadsheet row, I get the message that I am trying to shift cells down within the list. That is, I select a row by clicking the row number on the left, press ctrl- C, then right-click another row on its row number at the left, and choose insert copied row (or maybe insert pasted row -- I'm don't have access to Excel at the moment to verify). Inserting a copied/pasted row doe...

Project Server databases move to network storage
Other than whatever a DBA normally does on the SQL Server 2005 side to move databases to a different drive letter, are there any steps that need to be taken on the application side to ensure things are in sync? For those DBAs out there, is it simply about moving the data files that the databases point to, or more than that? Currently, our databases "live" on the C: drive of a dedicated physical SQL Server 2005 box. Project Server is in a VMWare VM that "lives" on another box. We wish to instigate a change where all the data "lives" on another (SAN) ...

Failing to Verify database in Crystal Reports
I'm trying to create custom reports based on custom fields that I have added to CRM 1.2. I have read in this group that in order to see my custom fields from Crystal I will have to first verify that database. But when I tried to Verify my database I got this error: failed to load database information. Details: The database DLL 'crdb_mscrm.dll' could not be loaded. What I've done is launch Crystal 9.2.2 Pro. and used the 'Enterprise' button to find an exsisting CRM Crystal Report to modify. I then select a report, click the 'database' pull down menu and s...

Inserting an AutoDate Function
:confused: I want to format a cell to display the current date (dd/mm/yy) upon opening the spreadsheet and automatically update the same way Microsoft Word's AutoUpdate feature does. I have searched this forum up and down and cannot find anything that tells me how to do this. Some of the questions/answers here provide information on similar topics, but I cannot find anything that simply tells me how to insert an AutoDate in a cell. I can't possibly be the first person to have asked this question. Can someone please help me? Thank You! -- MissTrish ---------------------------------...