Can we access SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine with other Management Studio ?

I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
successful.

I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
database via previous release client ?  I have started SQL Browser and
enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?

Thanks
0
Patrick

Although I haven't tried it yet I am pretty sure it is possible but not all
features will be supported. Did you get an error? If so what was the error?

--

Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
> machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
> successful.
>
> I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
> database via previous release client ?  I have started SQL Browser and
> enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>
> Thanks

0
Andrew
5/12/2010 1:02:47 PM
On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:55:22 +1000, Patrick
<Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
>machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
>successful.
>
>I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
>database via previous release client ?  I have started SQL Browser and
>enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>
>Thanks

Hi Patrick

You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.

John
0
John
5/12/2010 2:33:26 PM
Dear John and Andrew,

Thanks for your advice.

I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a Windows 7 machine.
However, I check the system requirement and find that Windows 7 doesn't
support it.

In this way, I install it on a Windows 2003 Server.  I am able to
connect it via Management Studio from other machines.

Regards,
Patrick

On 13/05/2010 12:33 AM, John Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:55:22 +1000, Patrick
> <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>
>> I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
>> machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
>> successful.
>>
>> I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
>> database via previous release client ?  I have started SQL Browser and
>> enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Hi Patrick
>
> You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
> rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.
>
> John

0
Patrick
5/13/2010 9:52:32 AM
On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:52:32 +1000, Patrick
<Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dear John and Andrew,
>
>Thanks for your advice.
>
>I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a Windows 7 machine.
>However, I check the system requirement and find that Windows 7 doesn't
>support it.
>
>In this way, I install it on a Windows 2003 Server.  I am able to
>connect it via Management Studio from other machines.
>
>Regards,
>Patrick
>

>On 13/05/2010 12:33 AM, John Bell wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:55:22 +1000, Patrick
>> <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
>>> machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
>>> successful.
>>>
>>> I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
>>> database via previous release client ?  I have started SQL Browser and
>>> enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> Hi Patrick
>>
>> You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
>> rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.
>>
>> John

You haven't told us the exact error. Did you try SQLCMD? Have you
checked there isn;t a firewall blocking the ports being used
?
John
0
John
5/13/2010 8:04:26 PM
I cannot recall the exact wording but it says cannot connect to the SQL
Server Instance as it is not reachable and ask me to make sure that Name
Pipe protocol to be opened.

Before checking the system requirement, I also guess whether it is a
Firewall Problem.  I have disabled Firewall but still cannot get through.

Regards,
Patrick

On 14/05/2010 6:04 AM, John Bell wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:52:32 +1000, Patrick
> <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>
>> Dear John and Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks for your advice.
>>
>> I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a Windows 7 machine.
>> However, I check the system requirement and find that Windows 7 doesn't
>> support it.
>>
>> In this way, I install it on a Windows 2003 Server.  I am able to
>> connect it via Management Studio from other machines.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick
>>

>> On 13/05/2010 12:33 AM, John Bell wrote:

>>> Hi Patrick
>>>
>>> You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
>>> rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.
>>>
>>> John
>
> You haven't told us the exact error. Did you try SQLCMD? Have you
> checked there isn;t a firewall blocking the ports being used
> ?
> John

0
Patrick
5/13/2010 9:29:12 PM
Patrick (Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I cannot recall the exact wording but it says cannot connect to the SQL
> Server Instance as it is not reachable and ask me to make sure that Name
> Pipe protocol to be opened.
>
> Before checking the system requirement, I also guess whether it is a
> Firewall Problem.  I have disabled Firewall but still cannot get through.

Make it a habit of always including the exact error message when posting
questions. That helps enormously.

It is not clear from your postings what you configuration is. Do you have
SSMS and SQL Server on the same machine or different?

In the latter case, have ensured in SQL Server Configuration Manager that
TCP/IP is enabled for the server? Keep in mind that if you enable it, you
also need to restart SQL Server.

Is the server a default instance or a named instance? How do you connect?

I don't want to be scornful, but so far your question is a bit like "My
vehicle won't start, why?", without telling us whether your vehicle is
a car, a truck, a moped, a bicycle or something else.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Missing the Multivalue lookup property in Access
I'm trying to create a multivalue lookup column in Access. The wizard doesn't give me the option to click the box to allow this like it should. How can I make this work? ...

Can I change the font size in MsgBox
I am using MsgBox for promts, and the font is too small for what I want to do; but I haven't been able to find a way to enlarge it short of changing my screen resolution. Am I missing something that should be obvious? -- Gary Burton Gary, The MsgBox font and font size come from a Windows setting. In Windows XP... You can get to it by right-clicking the desktop and choosing Properties. Select the Appearance tab then the Advance button at the bottom right. In the "Item" dropdown find Message Box and change the font/font size. -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www...

Publisher 2003: how can I make a text box into a differnt shape.
I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the shape. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nathan" <nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9636039D-0D50-4316-9C9D-1E1D7FAD444A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Mary Sauer wrote: > Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the > shape. >> I am ...

Can i use conditional formating on a cell when it contains a formula? #2
=mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1 -- si ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26784 Hi the reason for this is that thie formula returns a string and not a numeric value. Change the formula to: =--mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sit wrote: > =mid(text(a1;"0000000000.00");1;1) OR ... Change your Conditional formula to: =&quo...

Can't delete Outlook 2002 restored data files
My Windows XP Pro system crashed due to a hardware failure, and I had to restore my data once I reloaded a clean copy of Windows XP. I restored my Outlook data (PST files) to my D: drive thinking that I didn't want to overlay the current PST file, and would just import the data for it afterwards. I have managed to copy the data into my current Outlook PST file, but now I can't delete the folder structure that was created by my restore operation (i.e., "Documents and Settings" folder on D: drive) with all of its subfolders. I receive the error, "Cannot delete Ou...

CRM Internet Access #2
Just by opening up port 443 and assigning an Certificate, I can access CRM from outside our Firewall. It gives me a domain login prompt and everything seems to work ok. So, why would I want to use the IFD? Not being an .net programmer I don't understand why - is a web form better for security? If someone can give me a simple explanation I would appreciate it. (btw, I've tried to configure using the IFD and I have about as frustrated as alot of other people seem to be. I think I got arounf the 401 error by SETSPN but I still can't get the signin.aspx to appear) Thanks Glen G...

How can I Invoke a filter automatically
I have used a filter and list formatting to create the worksheet the way I want it and the data refreshes (from external links) when I open the workbook. But the advanced filter has not been applied.. it works if I click on it in the menu bar. How can I re-apply this filter automatically when The data is refreshed ? Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You might just record a macro while going through the steps to activate the filter, and then just run the macro when the updating is completed. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "busyman5_au >" <<...

since 2008 install safari downloads append .dot .pot .xla #2

I can not save or open the accessory from the email.
���� MIME ��ʽ�Ķ෽�ʼ��� ------=_NextPart_000_0052_01CB17A4.ED7B5770 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="gb2312"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit -- Best Regard Best Regard. Liu Yong CoslBoss Senior Toolpusher T:+86 022-25802531 M:+86 13602086743 ------=_NextPart_000_0052_01CB17A4.ED7B5770 Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="problem.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="problem.jpg" /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAgGBgcGBQgHBwcJCQgKDBQNDAsLDBkSEw8UHRofH...

Can't get imported address book to work right
I have an outlook address book I saved. It comes up in Outlook Express, but it doesn't integrate itself. (Where it comes up as a window in the lower left corner like it should.) How can I fix it ? Thanks. You might want to post more accurate information. Outlook does not even have an address book. What do you mean? I suspect you aren't even asking about Outlook, are you? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "HandyMan" <luke77561@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1181348733.851379.220610@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have an outlook address book I saved. It come...

Can I view CURRENT Balances rather than ENDING Balances on Home Pa
I project my income and expenses in Money 2004 to by entering estimated values for planned income and expenses for the next year or so. Anytime I see a red running balance in the coming months, I know I need to plan to shift some funds to cover it. This works out fine for me, except I would rather see my CURRENT (real) account balance associated with my favorite accounts on the Home Page instead of the ENDING (estimated) account balance that now shows by default. Any suggestions? Thank you ... My suggestions may be complicated from where you are. I use scheduled bills and deposits and ...

Cannot access shared folders
Hi, We had a problem with the raid controller after a power failure. Swapped the controller and managed to start the server again. However I needed to reinstall SBS2003 and now I cannot access any shared foler except the users shared folder. Another ' funny' thing is that when i try to run the internet connection wizzard i get the message that this wizzard can only be run on a sbs machine. Users can login and acces there mailbox without anyproblem Any idea what went wrong? Thanks Johan Stuurman Okay shares are now working but still the internet wizzard is a pro...

No longer able to access Money
I had a problem accessing money and thought maybe I had a virus or something. My password just suddenly didn't work so I changed my microsoft passport to no avail. I changed it back to what it was. I'll be furious if this problem isn't fixed. I have about a years worth of stuff in Money and was just getting ready to use it to put together a budget, in addition to the fact that I haven't used my checkbook in months. I back up my money file to a seperate hard disk everyday, but it won't let me restore it. It give's me the same crap no matter what I do, "Your...

Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the spec
I have Outlook 2003 with SP1 and a fully patched install point. Any machines that have this current install gets a message when trying to view public folders from the folder views. "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The operation failed." Any suggestions? ...

we have 2 OE email accts
My husband and I both have new Outlook Express email accts. However, it appears the same message is received in both our accts. How can I separate incoming mail to the proper accts? thanks Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/ --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the d...

Backup and Restore database using T-SQL
Hello, Is it possible to backup and restore a database using T-SQL? I need to backup the database, log and filegroup to a specific folder and verify that everything is ok. And later I would like to restore it. I suppose I can't backup and restore the User, Login, Role, etc ... Thank You, Miguel "shapper" <mdmoura@gmail.com> wrote in message news:04975680-ba45-4b3e-af33-26ce24bccbf3@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Is it possible to backup and restore a database using T-SQL? Yes - you can read about the commands in the online ...

SQL 2005EE
I have an 8 core SQL2005 EE server on Win2003 EE with 16GB of memory. Is it a problem if I have the SQL Server set to use 14GBs of the memory leaving 2GBs for the OS? I can see where the SQL server is using the 14GBs and wonder if there are times when the server begins to have memory pressure issues. Use AWE to allocate memory is not turned on. Thanks We are missing information to give you best advice: 1) 32 bit or 64 bit? 2) what else is running on the server? 3) I would think 2GB is insufficient for all non sql server buffer pool stuff. I would start with 12GB and ...

How to create a "dynamic" sql code
Dear all, I am trying to bring some data from ms access to ms excel and I need to create a "dynamic" sql code . I have a form in excel with 4 checkbox: so se user can select: entity, division, scenario, period. After this excel will create a query in ms access to bring the data. The user can select: entity/division/scenario/period or entity/period or entity or division etc etc etc (a lot of combinations....) I did this sql code, but I don't know how do it following the user selection (this code is only if user select entity/division/scenario/ period at the sam...

Can't load Office:mac 2008 Home & Student Edition
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) The docking bar shows all 4 applications but whenever I open Word, Excel, etc. I get the following message less than a second after opening "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close" When checking for details I get these messages: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Application LCID: 1033 Extra app info. Reg: er Loc=0x0409 Also, when I attempted to install the most recent update I got the following message: "You cannot install office 2008 12.1.9 update on this volume. A version of the software required to install...

database size #2
i have a exchange server 2003 stansart ed. i get a eventid 445 on ese. the database ...\priv1.edb har reached its maximum suze of 16382 mb. but the file is not so big. the edb file is 11,7 gb and the stb file is 5 gb is it the total of this files, that cant get over 16gb. The Information store (Private or Public) is made up of the combination of the .edb and .stm files. The 16gb max is indeed reached if the combination of those 2 files reaches 16gb. Your options are: 1. Check for event ID 1221 to see how much white space exists. If it is significant, you can run eseutil /d to ru...

This News Server and Spam
Ever since posting a message to this board three weeks ago, I am receiving 8 top 10 virus messages a day (the one that looks like it's from Microsoft teilling me to update a critical patch) to my inbox. Is there any way I can withdraw my previous message and/or get rid of these incoming pests? Or do I just have to put up with it and let my antivirus software deal with it? Thanks. in outlook express, create a rule to delete it off the server Tools / Message Rules / Mail and so on John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com "Blue Yonder" <dontbotherme@nos...

Access Database CRecordset problem
Hello, I have an MFC application that uses a MS Access database. I declare a CDatabase object and pass a connection string. The database Opens OK. I declare two recordset objects, and the two recordsets Open OK. I pass a NULL value, when I open the two recordsets. The problem occurs, when I try to open a second Access database. The second database has the same schema, but different data. Steps : 1. Close the two recordsets. 2. Close the database object. 3. Open the database object with new connection string -OK 4. Examine the database name with GetDatabaseName method - OK 5...

SQL Report using data from Multiple GP Companies
Is it possible to create a SQL Reporting Services report that will pull the same fields of data from more than one GP company? For instance, we have a customer that would like to pull Fixed Asset information from multiple GP companies. (Asset ID, Asset Description, Original Life in Years, Placed in Service Date, Cost Basis, Accumulated Depreciation, Net Book Value). I would assume you would have to create a data connections for each GP Company. But then would you create a separate table on the report for each company? Or would you use subreports? Just wondering if anyone has done it and...

Access crashes on save/preview
I am having a problem with Access. Whenever I am in 'Design Mode' in a Report, Access crashes when I click Save or try to Preview the report. There is not an error message. I have to restart Access. What interesting is that I can go to the Query and it will run fine. Then, I go to the 'Reports' and double click my report and it will run perfectly. But when I go into Design mode from viewing the report, the program crashes if I make a change and try to save or simply hit the 'Preview' button the program crashes. What do you guys think? I really need some help here. A...

Can't uninstall MediaSource
When I installed the drivers for my Audigy 2 sound card I didn't notice that there was an option selected to install MediaSource also. During installation there was an error:unable to find _IsRes.dll. Anyway, if I try to uninstall I get a message Component transfer error And it fails I downloaded Windows Install Cleanup But it does not show the Creative product How would you suggest I proceed? Thanks you might try booting up in safe mode and initiating a system restore point. the system restore will /should restore your computer back to a functional sta...