SSRS 2008 get report parameters to work

I want to add report parameters to a sql server report service 2008 that has
been generated by the report wizard and have the parameters work.
I can get  the report parametes to look like they work by doing the following:
 1. select view then report data then right click parameters in the report
data window.
 2. I then select add parameters then enter a 'name' then enter a prompt
name and then select data type.
 3. I then right click on the dataset and then click dataset properties and
then click on parameteres in the dataset properties window and add

the parameters I want.

 The above looks ok, but the parameters do not work.

 What do I need to do get the report parameters to work either after a new
report has been setup using the report wizard and/or adding the

report parameters to work at a later time.

Try adding the parameters into the underlying SQL code using the
format @ParameterName and it should work.

e.g.

Select FieldA, FieldB FROM Table WHERE Field A = @Parameter1

HTH,
Scho
0
Scho
4/1/2010 12:47:05 PM
"Scho":

  I am using a stored procedure when trying to run the reports. Thus I can
not use the underlying sql. Thus is there another solution? if not, by using
the visual studio.net 2008 environment, can you tell where the 'underlying
SQL code is at?
  Can I still use 'underlying sql' and still call my stored procedure? If
so, how would you accomplish this task?

Thanks!

"Scho" wrote:

> Try adding the parameters into the underlying SQL code using the
> format @ParameterName and it should work.
>
> e.g.
>
> Select FieldA, FieldB FROM Table WHERE Field A = @Parameter1
>
> HTH,
> Scho
> .

Now here is your problem. RS should be identifying the stored procedure
parameters and automatically creating matching Reporting Services parameters
and mapping them. Are you using a SQL Server stored procedure?

How is your sql written. I think all you need to do is change the query type
to stored procedure and put in the sp name. You might end up with extra
parameters if you already have some because it will call your RS parameter
the same as your SQL Server sp parameter.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"jazzydance" <jazzydance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Scho":
>
>  I am using a stored procedure when trying to run the reports. Thus I can
> not use the underlying sql. Thus is there another solution? if not, by
> using
> the visual studio.net 2008 environment, can you tell where the 'underlying
> SQL code is at?
>  Can I still use 'underlying sql' and still call my stored procedure? If
> so, how would you accomplish this task?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Scho" wrote:
>
>> Try adding the parameters into the underlying SQL code using the
>> format @ParameterName and it should work.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> Select FieldA, FieldB FROM Table WHERE Field A = @Parameter1
>>
>> HTH,
>> Scho
>> .

0
Bruce
4/1/2010 3:20:42 PM
I changed the query type to stored procedure and entered the stored procedure
name.

Thanks!

"Bruce L-C  [MVP]" wrote:

> Now here is your problem. RS should be identifying the stored procedure
> parameters and automatically creating matching Reporting Services parameters
> and mapping them. Are you using a SQL Server stored procedure?
>
> How is your sql written. I think all you need to do is change the query type
> to stored procedure and put in the sp name. You might end up with extra
> parameters if you already have some because it will call your RS parameter
> the same as your SQL Server sp parameter.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "jazzydance" <jazzydance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "Scho":
> >
> >  I am using a stored procedure when trying to run the reports. Thus I can
> > not use the underlying sql. Thus is there another solution? if not, by
> > using
> > the visual studio.net 2008 environment, can you tell where the 'underlying
> > SQL code is at?
> >  Can I still use 'underlying sql' and still call my stored procedure? If
> > so, how would you accomplish this task?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Scho" wrote:
> >
> >> Try adding the parameters into the underlying SQL code using the
> >> format @ParameterName and it should work.
> >>
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> Select FieldA, FieldB FROM Table WHERE Field A = @Parameter1
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Scho
> >> .
> >>
> .

Reports and making it look prettier: Last Name, First Name Rank
I'm trying to pretty up my report by eliminating the forced space created by having one field of the report for 'LastName', one for 'FirstName', and one for 'Rank.' The Rank isn't too huge of an issue, and if three items in one field gets to be too much, I have no problem leaving that as a side item of sorts. But, I want my report to look a bit better by putting the names together! I want the report to go to my table, pull the LastName from that column, and pair it with the matching FirstName in the column to the right. (Since it's just...

Choosing Report Format-Need advice
I asked this similar question a few days ago but received no response. Is there a way to change the properties when you’re using an AutoFormat for a report? I tried unsuccessfully to change the height of my alternating background when I used an AutoFormat (I’m using Access 2007). Is this the “rule”? I’m about to create several end-of-the-month reports that I plan to pull each month and thought I’d ask before I started. I’m also welcome to any suggestions about AutoFormat vs. designing your own report. Thank you for your input. AccessKay wrote: >I asked this simila...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

HELP
I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Catagory I indicated "Taxes : Federal Income Tax". Yet in the Income/Expense report, this payment is not included in my total federal taxes paid for this month. I should note that the check was written from an Investment Account. If I write the check from my checking account, the amount correctly shows up in the Income/Expense report. Any ideas as to why it works differently, depending on which account I pay the tax from? In microsoft.public.money, Tom wrote: >I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Cat...

SBS 2008 RWW Internal web site access
I have a strange issue. I have a client who has four laptops on an SBS 2008 domain. Three are windows 7 one is XP. All work great inside the office. However, when any of the users attempt to connect to the internal website through RWW on the outside they get a page cannot be displayed message. I verified that port 987 is open on the firewall. Using computers at our location or any other computer, from any other site not associated with their domain, can connect successfully to RWW and the internal web site. I’ve verified that the certificate is installed on their computers. I ver...

Frx from Reports Menu in GP
From the Reports menu Financial > FRx. The Report Launcher opens instead of the Report Designer. How do you change this? Locate the FRXDYN.INI in the application folder you start DynamicsGP. Delete it. Next time you use the Reports--> Financial --> FRX, you should be prompted again for the location. Select the frx32.exe, rather than the frx launch32.exe ------ Robert "6538" <lbeach@remingtonconsulting.com> wrote in message news:OkyfOBGvHHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > From the Reports menu Financial > FRx. The Report Launcher opens instead > o...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Exchange 2003 Envelope Journaling not working
Hi, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I'm trying to get envelope journaling to work. I have enabled message journaling and then used "exejcfg.exe -e" to enable envelope journaling. The journal mailbox is receiving the standard message journal messages, but not the envelope journal formatted messages. I have verified with LDP to confirm the heuristic value is 512 for the Exchange Org object. Anyone else seen this before or have any advice? Thanks --- Greg Reboot maybe? greg@intellireach.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I...

Limiting data in a report
I have a field in my database that contains only single letters which refer to the specific type of data contained in the other fields. ("A" refers to one specific type while "B" refers to another, etc.) I am attempting to set up an input box which will allow the user to produce a report consisting of data related to "A", "B" or whichever type is desired. Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) x = InputBox("C for Airmail, R for Revenues, O for Official Stamps. Leave blank for all") Reports![Wish List]![Prefix]![Criteria] = ...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

How do I get a chart to display backwards/forwards?
I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't display backwards. The nearest day displays on the left side of the chart, not the right. How do I change that? Double click on the axis, select the scale tab, and check "Values in reverse order" Jerry Will wrote: > I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. > When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't > display backwards. The nearest day displays on the ...

Cash flow and incme reports
The cash flow report shows capital gains from share sales and dividends as income but also includes these values in transfers. The income report only showscapital gain, not the capital return. Is there a way to have total cash flowreported truly? I'm using M2001 - do later versions help in this area? ...

Report that includes Commission Schedule "Fixed Amount"
Would like to be able to run a report that includes either and or "Fixed Amount", or "Maximum Commission" fields. We use these features and would like to be able to change items that have amounts in these fields but need to be able to run a report to find what items have these fields populated. ...

custom report not showing values
I have uploaded a very simple SRS report that includes "out of box fields" and custom fields. When I run the report, instead of my custom field values showing in the report, I get the id of the value. What am I missing? -Melissa ...

modify description field in reports
When I print my PO's I can make the part # field in the view report screen wider but when i print it, it defaults back to the regular size. The problem is it cuts off my part numbers on some of my long numbers. Is there a way to overcome this? you must modify the po.xml file directly. "www.choppersapparel.com" <www.choppersapparel.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B4E31D5-10A7-4A99-913D-F8F6E3BD7043@microsoft.com... > When I print my PO's I can make the part # field in the view report screen > wider but when i print it, it defaults ...

Spreadsheet macro stopped working!
Hi, I recently made an Excel spreadsheet for keeping track of my golf score. The spreadsheet is quite simple. It consists of 4 sheets: Scorecard, statistics, database and equations (for calculating some specific). I insert informations about the golf course I'm playing and how my score was etc. I then hit a button "Save scorecard" that runs a macro. The macro inserts specifik values from the scorecard into the database sheet (which works like a charm). The macro also updates the "Statistics" sheet with information about stroke number and points for ...

Working with elapsed time data
How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for each runner for each race. Then I want to calculate each runner's average time. When I enter minutes and seconds, Excel converts it to the time of day - which is not what I want. Go to www.cpearson.com for lots of tips on working with time. Bernard "DW" <dweskalnies@vertisinc.com> wrote in message news:080f01c38854$46e18100$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- > country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for...

Add range options to Rec Dist report
Add additonal range options to the Receivings Distribution report - only by Audit Trail is allowed ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=b0268d6b-4b6a-4805-9b52-e...

document elements (et. al.) toolbar in Word 2008
I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC. On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean, really =97 how many UPS or Del Mon...

Visual Studio 2008 crashes on C# unhandled exception
I just got a new box running Windows 7 64 bit Home premium. And I've installed VS 2008 with the feature pack and service pack. When I was making so changes to an existing C# forms application, I managed to generate an unhandled exception for a system argument. This totally locked up Visual Studio - I got the dialog asking me to debug or continue and then total freeze. I had to kill VS with the task manager. I can't reproduce this on a Vista 32 bit system or an XP 32 bit system. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.... Mike MP wrote: > I just got a new box runn...

Why can't i get my wanted notes by XPath

HQ Reports
In the HQ report 'Work Orders - Detailed' one of the default columns is Order #. I am hoping to enable the magnifying glass on this field that would take me straight to the journal for that transaction. I do have my journals being uploaded. Is this a reasonable wish? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks, Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. TT, Try; DrillDownFieldName = "[Order].ID" In the Order # column section. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be usi...

I can't get Outlook to synchronize with my yahoo email account.
I keep getting error messages. IS there someone or a website with good directions that might be able to assist me. Thanks! "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:933B689D-59DF-4237-958C-45A246982C33@microsoft.com > I keep getting error messages. IS there someone or a website with > good directions that might be able to assist me. > > Thanks! Do you have a paid-for premium account with Yaoo? (Unless you're in the UK.......) Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I keep getting error messages. And those messages are? ...

Need help in generating a report.
I have a spreadsheet (Sheet1) that summarizes all of my contracts. Column A contains the name of my clients for whom I do several jobs for. Column B contains the name of the contract. Column C contains a flag to indicate the job has been completed. Column F contains the profit/loss amount for that job. I only have a handful of clients but several contracts with each. On Sheet 2, I would like to have a report that sorts all of my contracts by clients, along with the name, amount each one made or lost, and then have a total for each client. The report should look something similar to this.....

Journal stopped working #2
I have noticed that after upgrading from Outlook XP (2002) to Office Outlook 2003 my journal has completely stopped logging entries. I have turned it off and re-initialized it and still not entries. I mailing want it to log Word and Excel files. Any help would be appreciated I am running Exchange 2003 in cached outlook mode on a SBS 2003 server. ...