Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.  This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing.  Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space.  To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality.  You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate in this forum or forum category:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/sqlserver/ .  An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the Microsoft Forums, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@microsoft.com

0
nntp

I wrote the email at the end of this post and actually got a non-automated response.  Perhaps if there is enough demand
they will change their mind...seems unlikely but you never know.

On 5/10/2010 3:09 AM, nntp@microsoft.com wrote:
> What is Happening?
> This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> Why?
> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
> solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.  This
> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
> for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
> make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> improved indexing.  Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
> healthy discussion in a clean community space.  To this end, Microsoft will
> begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
> functionality.  You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
> NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>

> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate in this forum or forum category:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/sqlserver/ .  An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
>
> Should you want to visit the Microsoft Forums, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
> NNTP@microsoft.com

0
Dan
5/10/2010 4:45:46 PM
Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
> I wrote the email at the end of this post and actually got a
> non-automated response.  Perhaps if there is enough demand they will
> change their mind...seems unlikely but you never know.

Ah, so even the most active SQL Server newsgroups is by this. Since I
read this newsgroup from a server outside Microsoft, I don't very many
of those messages - they get killed by spamfilters.

From what I understand they are dead set on it. And, well, how much I hate
to say it, there is some logic: the traffic in the NNTP newsgroups have
been dwindling in the last few years, and I can understand that Microsoft
want to reduce the number of platforms.

Nevertheless, all hope is not lost! msnews.microsoft.com will close down,
but the newsgroup will still continue to exist on other servers. MS
might send out rmgroup messages, but they are not honored very well.
I expect the groups will continue to be available on Google, on
Giganews, Eternal September, Albansi and a few more places.

And there is also comp.databases.ms-sqlserver, which is entirely beyond
Microsoft's realm.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
5/10/2010 10:05:08 PM
Erland
How do you register in OE for comp.databases.ms-sqlserver?

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Dan Holmes (dan.holmes@routematch.com) writes:
>> I wrote the email at the end of this post and actually got a
>> non-automated response.  Perhaps if there is enough demand they will
>> change their mind...seems unlikely but you never know.
>
> Ah, so even the most active SQL Server newsgroups is by this. Since I
> read this newsgroup from a server outside Microsoft, I don't very many
> of those messages - they get killed by spamfilters.
>
> From what I understand they are dead set on it. And, well, how much I hate
> to say it, there is some logic: the traffic in the NNTP newsgroups have
> been dwindling in the last few years, and I can understand that Microsoft
> want to reduce the number of platforms.
>
> Nevertheless, all hope is not lost! msnews.microsoft.com will close down,
> but the newsgroup will still continue to exist on other servers. MS
> might send out rmgroup messages, but they are not honored very well.
> I expect the groups will continue to be available on Google, on
> Giganews, Eternal September, Albansi and a few more places.
>
> And there is also comp.databases.ms-sqlserver, which is entirely beyond
> Microsoft's realm.
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Uri
5/11/2010 7:43:36 AM
Create an account that connects to a news server that offers that group,
and select the newsgroup from the list retrieved from that server. My
ISP provides a news server that carries that group, but I can't speak
for yours. There are also free news servers you can subscribe to. I've
seen this one recommended:
www.eternal-september.org

Uri Dimant wrote:
> Erland
> How do you register in OE for comp.databases.ms-sqlserver?

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

0
Bob
5/11/2010 2:21:51 PM
Thanks Bob

"Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> Create an account that connects to a news server that offers that group,
> and select the newsgroup from the list retrieved from that server. My
> ISP provides a news server that carries that group, but I can't speak
> for yours. There are also free news servers you can subscribe to. I've
> seen this one recommended:
> www.eternal-september.org
>

> Uri Dimant wrote:
>> Erland
>> How do you register in OE for comp.databases.ms-sqlserver?
>>

> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows

0
Uri
5/12/2010 7:23:34 AM
"Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> Create an account that connects to a news server that offers that group,
> and select the newsgroup from the list retrieved from that server. My
> ISP provides a news server that carries that group, but I can't speak
> for yours. There are also free news servers you can subscribe to. I've
> seen this one recommended:
> www.eternal-september.org

I use eternal-september myself, and I can vouch for the fact that it hosts
comp.databases.ms-sqlserver.

As a general-purpose newsgroup host it's a little limited in that it only
hosts text-based newsgroups, but it IS free and has worked satisfactorily
for me for a couple of years so far.

Tom

0
Tom

Update
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence, mitiga...

Chart update automatically
Sometimes I start a data list to chart, create a chart then add data and the chart automatically updates as I add to the data list. The X axis grows with each entry. Other times, I do what I think is the same thing but the chart lays dormant. I actually have to manually update the series range. Nothing I do seems to make it "automatic". Is there a way to make any chart (new or existing) update automatically when dynamic data is involved? Hi, The chart will update automatically if, - you based the chart on a List (Table in xl2007) - created and used a dynamic named range - i...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 (KB922815) Installation Error
When i try to install Update Rollup 1 for MSCRM 3.0 i get following error. Setup could not find Microsoft CRM 3.0 Server or you have a mismatch between update language and Microsoft CRM language. The installation of this update has stopped. Is this rollup language dependent? I have a swedish installation of MSCRM. Thanks! // Mats ------=_NextPart_0001_11F19277 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Yes this rollup is language dependent. You need to install SVE(swedish - sweden) UR1 package. Thanks, Indira Dhingra This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

Converting Microsoft Office 2003 Trial into a full version
I have bought a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT360ZG notebook with installed Microsoft Office 2003. I registered Microsoft Office 2003 trial version. Now I am trying to convert it into a full version. Unfortunately I am getting message that my product key (from Certificate of Authenticity) is invalid. My trial version expires in Jan 2005. What should I do ? My product key from Certificate of Authenticity label is : J8FHJ-Q6BJM-G6PVD-FWM2B-PW6J8. Thank you very much Peter. ...

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities
Date 5/4/2010 Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs. Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer ...

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error 03-04-10
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490 02-Mar-10 I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), & KB975517(release date 10/13/09). The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010 I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X System Type X86-based PC ...

I'm looking for a community just like this one but for Entourge?
I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just like this one. Thank you. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage Gilbert wrote: > I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft > Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just > like this one. Thank you. Thank you very much Bob. "Bob I" wrote: > http://www.micros...

Change the icon on Microsoft apps files?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone tell me how to change the icon on a Microsoft file/shortcut = -- for example, an excel spreadsheet or MCE recording? ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META con...

IBF for Microsoft CRM now available
Great news to pass along. After a much longer wait than anyone imagined, our IBF solution for Microsoft CRM is now available. It took us a ton of work to get the performance and security of this solution right, but I think you'll find it's well worth the wait! The number of new scenarios enabled and the ability to access Microsoft CRM data from directly inside of your favorite Microsoft Office applications is really compelling. You can download the solution from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=332BEFFB-4492-40D7-8CE0-995489909B6A&displaylang=en Join me...

combo box list updating
Hi - I would like my combo box list to change base on the value of A1. That is, I have its input range being B1:F1 - "Year 1", " Year 2" etc. Example: -If cell A1 is the value "10" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 1" (which is cell "B1") -If cell A1 is the value "20" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 2" (which is cell "C1") ETC... Thanks for your help - Jim A ...

User Entity
Hi, I was wondering how others keep the User records in CRM updated with the Active Directory information like phone numbers, etc. Has anyone written a Windows Script to take this action or are you using other methods? Thank you ...

Automatically updating cells on other worksheets when data typed into primary sheet
I'm trying to create a workbook that will allow me to enter data on the first sheet and it will then append the data to a second sheet by automatically starting a new line. Example: I enter "This is a test" into A1 on sheet 1 First available line on sheet2 automatically updates with "This is a test" When it comes to enter something new in A1 on sheet1, same function above goes into action, accept it should be on the next available line which will be A2 on sheet2, as A1 is already used by previous data entry. Can this be done? I would appreciate any help with this. ...

Update Query based on Current Recordset
I have a continuous form with filtered records. I want to run an update query on a field in a table based on the current filtered records on the form. What code would I use to accomplish this task? Any help appreciated in getting me started. NEWER USER, Without a wee bit more information, like what are you trying to update, field names, table names, do you want this attached to a button or an event, etc... The best I can do is... UPDATE SomeTable SET SomeTable.SomeField= WhateverValue WHERE (((SomeTable.SomeOtherFied)=WhateverValue)); Of course, the above would be an ...

Printing updated customer information on a Receipt
Hello all, I modified the receipt to print the customer's total number of visits and total amount spent (both from the customer record) at the bottom of the receipt. The problem is that it is always printing the values as they stand before the last transaction. Example: if I create a new customer, do a tranaction ($20) and print the receipt, the number of visits and amount spent will show as zero. When I do a second transaction the receipt will print the values (visits 1, amount spent $20) as they stand at the end of the first transaction. Does anyone know how I can force the receip...

Updating item properties.
We want to change the commission properties for items in our database, with different commission rate for different as below: Men’s Clothing – 2% Women’s Clothing – 2% Men’s Accessories – 1% Men’s Accessories – 1% And this will be a percent of sale. Is this done with an update query? It can be done with an SQL update query. How do you know if an item is men's acc... ? "Davidjc52" <Davidjc52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C57AEFC9-2DEC-46C7-AD96-EE950322155E@microsoft.com... > We want to change the commission properties for items in our database...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Data Migration framework
Hi, Does anybody know when Microsoft are due to release the DMF for version 3.0? or is it possible to use the 1.2 DMF to import data. We have contacts and would like to associate them with with their parent accounts. Any help or comments on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Rick No, I don't think you can use 1.2 DMF to import data to CRM 3.0. The easiest would be to buy a 45 days scribe license to do your data import for $495. The other option would be writing a small program using the CRM 3.0 API to insert all of your contact data to CRM 3.0. Darren The messag...

table doesn't update until after I press the escape key
I have a form with subform working but with one issue - when I enter data into a row I start on the next row, but get error about duplicate key. I press the escape key, it clears the data I just tried inputing, and it updates the key field. The key field causing the error uses this in the default value property field- =Nz(DMax("SongID","MusicOnPC_Songs"),0)+1 Is there something missing to make it update after I tab out of the last field for that row, and move into the next row? try removing the expression from the DefaultValue property of the SongID field. instead, ...

after updated data is was missing encoding
In ASP after updating data (with ADO) in Access data is missing displayed in incorrect encoding. Please help me. Vusal Hamidov ...

Default Reply Address/Recipient Update Policy
I have an Exchange 2003 setup on an SBS 2003 server. All users have been created. When I use AD Users and Computers to change one user's default reply address to something other than the alias, it gets changed back automatically. I understand that on user creation, this is what it uses. But, it has always been my understanding that once the user has been created, you can then change on a user basis. I have users in the company that use initials as email, some that use firstinitial/lastname and some that use full name. I have at least 10 other Exchange servers (3 of those being 2000)...

Can I add and update a reference number
I would like to add column at the beginning (left most) of a sheet whic would serve as a reference number, i.e. 1, 2, 3, ..., n, to identify row. I don't want to use the Row and column headings check box under pag setup because that numbers from the very first row, and there are rows used for titles on every page. I would like this to automatically get updated if I insert a row an add data or if I add data after the current last row. Is there an option I can use or a function I can create? Thank you, Pete -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It depends on exactly what you ...

Update 12.2.0 Failure

Year end tax updates
When are you going to get the website fixed so we can get the year-end tax updates? We must install these next week or we have a serious problem. If not available on the website, what are the alternate means of obtaining them? -- DoLu Yes, this seems to happen every year. We needed the updates and INFORMATION about the updates this week. Are there static links? "DoLu" wrote: > When are you going to get the website fixed so we can get the year-end tax > updates? We must install these next week or we have a serious problem. If > not available on the website, what ...

updating accessmode in UI throws error
I'm using a fresh install of CRM 4.0 90-day trial. If I log in as a user with the "System Administrator" role and attempt to adjust a user's access mode / CAL I receive the following error: "The logged-on user does not have the appropriate security permissions to view these records or perform the specific action." I'm able to adjust roles, add users, disable users, edit other properties of the user, etc. I'm just unable to adjust the CAL level of the user once the user has been added. If I try the same thing via code: systemuser updateu...

Outlook 2003 intermittently stops responding when opening a message
Hello, Several times per day, my Outlook 2003 freezes (hangs) when I attempt to open a message. There seems to be nothing special about these messages (no attachments, very small, can be HTML, rich text or plain text format). After I kill the message window (since it does not display anything except the white background), which kills the Outlook instance, and restart Outlook, I can open the same message just fine. I am running MS Office Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 on Windows XP SP1 (Exchange server is on the corporate intranet); IBM ThinkPad T40 with 512MB of RAM (there is a lot of memory...