Trigger question 03-15-10

 CREATE TABLE tblA (
        Symbol               varchar(50) NOT NULL,
        APIFormat      varchar(50) NULL,
        DataFormat      varchar(50) NULL
 )

I would like to do the following:
If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
would like to set DataFormat like this:
If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat =
LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT
Can I create a trigger to do the above ?

Thank you

0
fniles

On Mar 15, 10:09=A0am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> =A0CREATE TABLE tblA (
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Symbol =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 APIFormat =A0 =A0 =A0varchar(50) NULL,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DataFormat =A0 =A0 =A0varchar(50) NULL
> =A0)
>
> I would like to do the following:
> If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> would like to set DataFormat like this:
> If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) =3D '#', then SET DataFormat =3D
> LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat =3D APIFORMAT
> Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
>
> Thank you

Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.
0
Tom
3/15/2010 3:32:14 PM
I forgot to include the Primary Key definition in the posting.
Here it is
 ALTER TABLE tblA
        ADD PRIMARY KEY (Symbol)

With that primary key, will I be able to do a trigger that I need ?

"Tom" <tom.groszko@charter.net> wrote in message
On Mar 15, 10:09 am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> CREATE TABLE tblA (
> Symbol varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> APIFormat varchar(50) NULL,
> DataFormat varchar(50) NULL
> )
>
> I would like to do the following:
> If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> would like to set DataFormat like this:
> If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat =
> LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT
> Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
>
> Thank you

Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.

0
fniles
3/15/2010 4:30:12 PM
On Mar 15, 12:30=A0pm, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to include the Primary Key definition in the posting.
> Here it is
> =A0ALTER TABLE tblA
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ADD PRIMARY KEY (Symbol)
>
> With that primary key, will I be able to do a trigger that I need ?
>
> "Tom" <tom.gros...@charter.net> wrote in message

> On Mar 15, 10:09 am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
>
> > CREATE TABLE tblA (
> > Symbol varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> > APIFormat varchar(50) NULL,
> > DataFormat varchar(50) NULL
> > )
>
> > I would like to do the following:
> > If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> > would like to set DataFormat like this:
> > If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) =3D '#', then SET DataFormat =3D
> > LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> > If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat =3D APIFORMAT
> > Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
>
> > Thank you
>
> Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
> constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
> changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
> With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.Objects WHERE OBJECT_ID =3D
OBJECT_ID('dbo.tblATrigger') AND TYPE =3D 'TR')
   DROP TRIGGER dbo.tblATrigger;
GO
CREATE TRIGGER dbo.tblATrigger
ON dbo.tblA FOR INSERT, UPDATE AS
IF @@rowcount =3D 0 RETURN;
IF TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL(object_ID('dbo.tblATrigger')) > 1 RETURN;
SET NOCOUNT ON;
UPDATE dbo.tblA
	SET	DataFormat =3D	CASE	WHEN	RIGHT(INSERTED.APIFormat,1) =3D '#'
								THEN	LEFT(INSERTED.APIFORMAT,LEN(INSERTED.APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
								ELSE	INSERTED.APIFormat
						END
FROM	INSERTED		INSERTED
JOIN	dbo.tblA		tblA		ON INSERTED.Symbol =3D tblA.Symbol
WHERE	INSERTED.APIFormat IS NULL;
RETURN;
GO
0
Tom
3/15/2010 5:31:37 PM
Whilst it's not great design to have a table with no primary key, you could
still achieve this using an INSTEAD OF trigger.

"Tom" wrote:

> On Mar 15, 10:09 am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> >  CREATE TABLE tblA (
> >         Symbol               varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> >         APIFormat      varchar(50) NULL,
> >         DataFormat      varchar(50) NULL
> >  )
> >
> > I would like to do the following:
> > If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> > would like to set DataFormat like this:
> > If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat =
> > LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> > If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT
> > Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
> >
> > Thank you
>
> Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
> constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
> changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
> With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.
> .

Thanks, that works !

On Mar 15, 12:30 pm, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to include the Primary Key definition in the posting.
> Here it is
> ALTER TABLE tblA
> ADD PRIMARY KEY (Symbol)
>
> With that primary key, will I be able to do a trigger that I need ?
>
> "Tom" <tom.gros...@charter.net> wrote in message

> On Mar 15, 10:09 am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
>
> > CREATE TABLE tblA (
> > Symbol varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> > APIFormat varchar(50) NULL,
> > DataFormat varchar(50) NULL
> > )
>
> > I would like to do the following:
> > If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> > would like to set DataFormat like this:
> > If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat =
> > LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> > If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT
> > Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
>
> > Thank you
>
> Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
> constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
> changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
> With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.Objects WHERE OBJECT_ID =
OBJECT_ID('dbo.tblATrigger') AND TYPE = 'TR')
IF @@rowcount = 0 RETURN;
IF TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL(object_ID('dbo.tblATrigger')) > 1 RETURN;
SET NOCOUNT ON;
UPDATE dbo.tblA
SET DataFormat = CASE WHEN RIGHT(INSERTED.APIFormat,1) = '#'
THEN LEFT(INSERTED.APIFORMAT,LEN(INSERTED.APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
ELSE INSERTED.APIFormat
END
FROM INSERTED INSERTED
JOIN dbo.tblA tblA ON INSERTED.Symbol = tblA.Symbol
WHERE INSERTED.APIFormat IS NULL;
RETURN;
GO

0
fniles
3/16/2010 2:45:13 PM
I have 1 more question.

If DataFormat is updated manually,  I do not want to set the DataFormat in
the trigger.
For example:
I update APIFormat to 0.##
But I also update DataFormat to 0.#0##.
I want to leave DataFormat to 0.#0## instead of if the trigger would have
run, the trigger would have changed it to be 0.#0.

How can I do that ?

Thanks again for your help.

"Tom" <tom.groszko@charter.net> wrote in message
On Mar 15, 12:30 pm, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to include the Primary Key definition in the posting.
> Here it is
> ALTER TABLE tblA
> ADD PRIMARY KEY (Symbol)
>
> With that primary key, will I be able to do a trigger that I need ?
>
> "Tom" <tom.gros...@charter.net> wrote in message

> On Mar 15, 10:09 am, "fniles" <fni...@pfmail.com> wrote:
>
> > CREATE TABLE tblA (
> > Symbol varchar(50) NOT NULL,
> > APIFormat varchar(50) NULL,
> > DataFormat varchar(50) NULL
> > )
>
> > I would like to do the following:
> > If a new row is added or APIFormat is edited, and DataFormat is NULL, I
> > would like to set DataFormat like this:
> > If RIGHT(APIFORMAT,1) = '#', then SET DataFormat =
> > LEFT(APIFORMAT,LEN(APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
> > If right(apiformat,1) <> '#', then SET DataFormat = APIFORMAT
> > Can I create a trigger to do the above ?
>
> > Thank you
>
> Because your table has no primary key there will be nothing to
> constrain an update statement in a trigger to change only the rows
> changed by the insert upate statement that caused the trigger to fire.
> With this table definition you cannot write a trigger to do this.

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.Objects WHERE OBJECT_ID =
OBJECT_ID('dbo.tblATrigger') AND TYPE = 'TR')
   DROP TRIGGER dbo.tblATrigger;
GO
CREATE TRIGGER dbo.tblATrigger
ON dbo.tblA FOR INSERT, UPDATE AS
IF @@rowcount = 0 RETURN;
IF TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL(object_ID('dbo.tblATrigger')) > 1 RETURN;
SET NOCOUNT ON;
UPDATE dbo.tblA
SET DataFormat = CASE WHEN RIGHT(INSERTED.APIFormat,1) = '#'
THEN LEFT(INSERTED.APIFORMAT,LEN(INSERTED.APIFORMAT)-1) + '0'
ELSE INSERTED.APIFormat
END
FROM INSERTED INSERTED
JOIN dbo.tblA tblA ON INSERTED.Symbol = tblA.Symbol
WHERE INSERTED.APIFormat IS NULL;
RETURN;
GO

0
fniles

Bezdelie 03-22-08
sefffsdfe "Nikolaj-Staninets" <Nikolos@mikrosoft.com>, iletide �unu yazd� news:OLFmQp#iIHA.4320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > > ...

User Form Question
Hi, I have created a user form for entering names and addresses. I want the content of the form to go into the next row in a workbook when a button is pressed. I can get it to go to set cells but not the next free cells ? Any advice ? David Can't see your code but have a look at Offset method or defining LastRow in a range. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:51:19 +0000, David <davidjcleland@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have created a user form for entering names and addresses. I want the >content of the form to go into the next row in a workbo...

stupidly easy question
i am having a problem creating a graph with the year on the (x) asix an a value on the (y) axis. when i try and make the graph, the wizar always puts the year as a value, not as the (x) axis... how can i make the year as the(x) axis?! thanks in advance, confused -- leppel Depending on how you've constructed your data in the cells Try to select :" Rows " or " Columns " after you've defined the Source data > Data Range > Series In: Rows Columns "lep...

DLL Question #7
Hi guys, I wanted to create a DLL which uses MFC CRecordset. I do the following steps 1) Create a new class (Class type -->MFC Class Base Class --> CRecordset) 2) it the .h file add the following code #define DLLEXPORT _declspec(dllexport) class DLLEXPORT xx : public CRecordset { ........................... ........................... } Is that the correct way to build a dll with CRecordset "Newbie & Noobie" <NewbieNoobie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09DC429F-8C55-47A5-8A9A-CBBD98AA9051@microsoft.com... > #define DLLEXPORT...

Cbo box Limit to list = No write question
Hello All you marvelous brain boxes, I have a form with a bound cbo box EvtNumber & "limit to list =No". A hidden txt box "=[EvtNumber].[Column](1)". The underlying table is a temporary data input table for calculations then it will be cleared after the relevant data is written to the relevant tables. As you have probably guessed my hidden text box doesn't update when I type a value in the cbo which is not already in the table until the form is reloaded, even though I save the record so the value is now in the table & then requery the form and/...

.pst question
Outlook/Exchange novice here.... I have a user that has archived files to different areas on his laptop. He wants them all to appear in his folder list under Archive Folders. If I copy and paste them into docs and settings\%username%\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook do i need to rename the files so as not to overwrite the one archived file that is in there? In other words, what is the proper procedure to restore these archived files that are not where Outlook 2k sees them so that they can be viewed in his Archive Folders list? Thank you Hey, What I would do is put...

Sort Question
Can you sort a cell by color? What version of excel are you using? dwake wrote: > > Can you sort a cell by color? -- Dave Peterson EXCEL 2007 Data / Sort & Filter group / Sort / Sort window should launch / in the Sort On field select Cell Color If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "dwake" wrote: > Can you sort a cell by color? Not naturally, but see here for workaround: http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/Sort.htm -- Best Regards, Luke M "dwake" <dwake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Question for Windows Speech Recognition guru
Need advice from Vista Speech Recognition guru. (formal name WSR, for Windows Speech Recognition) The "Analyze Written Documents" feature of WSR appears to be broken. I try to keep up-to-date on three different SR apps, which is not easy, because of the differences. The three SR apps are: 1) Dragon Pro 2) WSR (Vista Speech Recognition) 3) MacSpeech Dictate ....using most recent versions of above 3 apps Without going into the reason _why_ , I would like to be able to speak the following, and have it come out exactly as shown in the two examples below...

Integration Manager 10.00.0836
I AM USING GP-10 AND Integration Manager - 10 and trying to add destination adaptor for Fixed Asset and Project Accounting modules but they are not available in tree of Destination, is somthing wrong with the installation or missing product or reg key.. thanks When IM 10 was installed, most likely the eConnect adpaters were not installed only the standard adpaters. You can go to Add/Remove Programs, find "Integration Manager for Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0" and click the Change button. You can then select the option to add the eConnect adpaters. Hope that hel...

Win 7 license question
I just bought a new Eee netbook with Win-7 "starter" version installed. It works fine. I searched the computer with a license key finder and found: 1. a win-7 license key, as I expected to. 2. A second win-7 license key called "default prod. key." 3. The win-7 license key sticker on the Eee is different than either of the above. So I seem to be confused, which is normal for MS software. I believe the first one is the actual working key. What is the second one? Also, what about the third key printed on the sticker? I wonder if it is also valid if used ...

Question on MFC and Plattform SDK
Hello everybody! I have a standard mfc app which compiles and links fine under VC6SP5. When I compile it using the latest mssdk (plattform sdk) I get the error: comiling stdafx.cpp .. error C2146: Syntax error: missing ';' before 'KSPIN_LOCK' in winnt.h (1273): typedef ULONG_PTR KSPIN_LOCK; If I compile stdafx.cpp with the VC6 provided headers/sorces/libs there is no error. On another project there was no problem compiling with the new sdk files at all if: * the new sdk files are set to be before the vc6 provided ones in the directory order in 'options/direct...

Multi page worksheet question
Hi guys i have a roster that is on a single worksheet. What i want to do is when I change a name into a particular shift it then takes that shift and copies the shift onto another worksheet. So when its done each employee will have a worksheet with just his shifts on it, there are only 5 employee's atm, so instead of them having to go through every day to see what each day has they can just click on their own name and get a roster that has the week setup for them. Does this make sense? if not I can post the roster to show you what it is I want to accomplish. many thanks -- Codger ...

newbie question #5
I need to calculate hours per thousand. Can someone give me the formul to use? thank -- vapor7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vapor77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3113 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50797 Without seeing your sheet (hours)/(thing you want to standardise by)*1000 So for example if hours are in A1 If number of staff is in B1 If you want hours per thousand staff in C1 Enter in C1 =A1/B1*1000 Regards Dav -- Dav --------------------------------...

test 11-07-03

Question about x.y.z order
My god, I have some excel file, the data sheets have so many columns, and I need order like following, 1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.2.1 1.1.3 1.1.4.2.3 1.2.5 1.10.6 1.11.1 How ever, using the excel order function, it looks like 1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.2.1 1.1.3 1.1.4.2.3 1.10.6 1.11.1 1.2.5 The 1.2.5 shell before 1.10.6, how can I do it? Thanks for help. If you entered the values as: 001.001.001.002 (as many leading 0's as you need for the biggest number) Then your sort would work fine. An alternative is to insert as many empty columns to the right and then using data|text to columns|delimited by ...

Copy and Paste Macro 04-15-10
I am attempting to create a macro to copy and paste. The cells I need to copy are not adjacent to each other. I used the Ctrl key to select the cells but I get an error that it cannot be done. How do I select and copy these non-adjacent cells in a macro? http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip36.htm -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "ABelect" <ABelect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98AECC0F-85E2-4390-98D6-D0CCAEC739FA@microsoft.com... >I am attempting to create a macro to copy and paste. The cells ...

Question about dialog.
I have an application which use several dialogs (CDialog1, CDialog2,...). CDialog1 is popped up by a fuction call as following (Works well): func(...hWnd...)//hWnd is the main windows' handle { CWnd wndParent; if (wndParent.Attach( hWnd ) ) { CDialog1 dlg( &wndParent ); dlg.DoModal(); wndParent.Detach(); } } Now, in CDialog1, I want to start another dialog by using: CDialog2 dlg; dlg.DoModal(); //failed I got run time error. Why? "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1129328476.748520.213520@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... &...

Print Set-up is using only 10% of Page
I have a large document I am trying to have print out. The data I am printing is forced into about 10% of the page -- in the upper left hand corner -- rather than using the entire space available on the page. As a result, the data is too small to read. I had this document set up to print the way I wanted it -- using the entire page, and then at some point it got corrupted and crammed into the upper left hand corner. This happens to me quite often on this machine and on others. Thanks for any help. Excel 2000, XP. I would guess that on "Page Setup", you have the scaling checke...

extremely basic question about paragraph indenting
This is a terribly basic question but I can't find the answer in Word Help. How do I indent all the paragraphs of a Word document, not just one para... Michael Well, if you want *all* the paragraphs indented, then maybe you actually want to change the margins? So, for instance, that there is a 2-inch left margin on every page instead of a 1-in margin? To do that, go to Format | Document | Margins (assuming you are using MacWord). (This will partially affect the headers). Otherwise, you can indent more than one paragraph at a time by selecting more than one paragraph at a time, and th...

free dot interview questions information
..NET database dev questions http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-database-dev-questions.html Some general quickies http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/some-general-quickies.html ..NET WebDev interview questions - Part 1 http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-webdev-interview-questions-part-1.html ..NET WebDev interview questions - Part 3 http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-webdev-interview-questions-part-3.html Electronic engineer interview questions http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/electronic-engineer-interview-...

Double-Click question
I have a function that is called by both WM_LBUTTONDOWN and WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK messages. However the double-click behavior seems to depend on the state of the system (what exactly I don't know). Can anyone speculate what might cause this? Could it be the time limit between clicks or could the state of the system reduce this time limit? (BTW, what is the limit normally set at?) Thanks, E-Jo Define "state of the system". The double-click behavior is independent of any other consideration of system state unless your code is dependent on the system state. The only thing that th...

RMS 2.0 Headquartner Client Licence Question vs old Dongle on HQ R
Hello, We are moving from RMS 1.2 to RMS 2.0, I have notice the RMS 2.0 the license is registers at the store level vs. the dongle being use at the HQ RMS Server level for all the store. I don't see any registeration process for the RMS HQ Server since the HQ Client has the individual license now. Is this correct? Ed you should have a separate SO license for each lane that runs POS, and an HQ license for each store for the HQClient to upload to HQ. "Ed" wrote: > Hello, > > We are moving from RMS 1.2 to RMS 2.0, I have notice the RMS 2.0 the > license i...

Quick questions on setup of 2003?
Can you install Active Directory Connector after Domain prep and Forest prep have been run? If you have run the Domain Prep and Forest prep for 2000, do need to run it for 2003? "LT" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you install Active Directory Connector after Domain >prep and Forest prep have been run? Yes. >If you have run the Domain Prep and Forest prep for 2000, >do need to run it for 2003? Yes. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Modify error message of a logon trigger
I would like to alter/modify the error message raised by a logon trigger. It says a default message: "Logon failed for login 'test' due to trigger execution". It would be better an anonymous "Access denied" or something like that. Binging around I found out cannot use RAISERROR or something like that ... so ...can I modify it ?Perhaps in system tables ? Thanks for help. ...

Outlook Tasks Question
I have user's who e-mail other users of tasks needing to be completed. When an e-mail is received no option in the incoming e-mail allows them to Accept or Decline the task. Does anyone know how to enable this option? Thanks. To send a Task request the user that you are sending to has to be configured in Rich Text, double click the resolved email address in the To field and set to Rich text, of course the recipient needs to use Outlook as well :) "Scott" <scottcukier@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:08b401c3faf3$33284560$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have user's w...