SQL Server Performance Local vs Remote.

I've got an asp.net script running on a Windows Web Server 2008 R2 dedicated
box. The script reads a .csv file line by line processes the data and sticks
it into SQL Server. When connecting to a remote sql server 2008 on a shared
web host the script takes about 20 minutes to run, which is perfectly
acceptable given the amount of data. When connecting to a local instance of
SQL Server 2008 Enterprise the same script takes around 4 hours - obviously
not acceptable.

Is there some reason a script would run so much slower connecting to a local
SQL Server - if anything shouldn't it be faster? Or any hints on
establishing why it's running so slow?

Cheers,
Jon

0
Jon

There are lots of things it can be but what is the difference in the
hardware between the 2 box's?  Look to see what it's waiting on. What do the
wait stats tell you?  Is it blocking?

--

Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
> I've got an asp.net script running on a Windows Web Server 2008 R2
> dedicated box. The script reads a .csv file line by line processes the
> data and sticks it into SQL Server. When connecting to a remote sql server
> 2008 on a shared web host the script takes about 20 minutes to run, which
> is perfectly acceptable given the amount of data. When connecting to a
> local instance of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise the same script takes around
> 4 hours - obviously not acceptable.
>
> Is there some reason a script would run so much slower connecting to a
> local SQL Server - if anything shouldn't it be faster? Or any hints on
> establishing why it's running so slow?
>
> Cheers,
> Jon

0
Andrew
5/6/2010 7:54:18 PM
I know the hardware on my own box but no idea - and no way to find - the
hardware on the remote box. How would I find wait stats?

Thanks,
Jon

"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
> There are lots of things it can be but what is the difference in the
> hardware between the 2 box's?  Look to see what it's waiting on. What do
> the wait stats tell you?  Is it blocking?
>
> --
>
> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
> Solid Quality Mentors
>
> "Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an asp.net script running on a Windows Web Server 2008 R2
>> dedicated box. The script reads a .csv file line by line processes the
>> data and sticks it into SQL Server. When connecting to a remote sql
>> server 2008 on a shared web host the script takes about 20 minutes to
>> run, which is perfectly acceptable given the amount of data. When
>> connecting to a local instance of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise the same
>> script takes around 4 hours - obviously not acceptable.
>>
>> Is there some reason a script would run so much slower connecting to a
>> local SQL Server - if anything shouldn't it be faster? Or any hints on
>> establishing why it's running so slow?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jon

0
Jon
5/6/2010 8:13:33 PM
Have a look at these:

> I know the hardware on my own box but no idea - and no way to find - the
> hardware on the remote box. How would I find wait stats?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>> There are lots of things it can be but what is the difference in the
>> hardware between the 2 box's?  Look to see what it's waiting on. What do
>> the wait stats tell you?  Is it blocking?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an asp.net script running on a Windows Web Server 2008 R2
>>> dedicated box. The script reads a .csv file line by line processes the
>>> data and sticks it into SQL Server. When connecting to a remote sql
>>> server 2008 on a shared web host the script takes about 20 minutes to
>>> run, which is perfectly acceptable given the amount of data. When
>>> connecting to a local instance of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise the same
>>> script takes around 4 hours - obviously not acceptable.
>>>
>>> Is there some reason a script would run so much slower connecting to a
>>> local SQL Server - if anything shouldn't it be faster? Or any hints on
>>> establishing why it's running so slow?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon

0
Andrew
5/7/2010 1:30:35 AM
>> How would I find wait stats?

Go to PASS and attend Andy's incredibly good presentation on the topic!!  :)

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

"Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
>I know the hardware on my own box but no idea - and no way to find - the
>hardware on the remote box. How would I find wait stats?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>> There are lots of things it can be but what is the difference in the
>> hardware between the 2 box's?  Look to see what it's waiting on. What do
>> the wait stats tell you?  Is it blocking?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an asp.net script running on a Windows Web Server 2008 R2
>>> dedicated box. The script reads a .csv file line by line processes the
>>> data and sticks it into SQL Server. When connecting to a remote sql
>>> server 2008 on a shared web host the script takes about 20 minutes to
>>> run, which is perfectly acceptable given the amount of data. When
>>> connecting to a local instance of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise the same
>>> script takes around 4 hours - obviously not acceptable.
>>>
>>> Is there some reason a script would run so much slower connecting to a
>>> local SQL Server - if anything shouldn't it be faster? Or any hints on
>>> establishing why it's running so slow?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon

0
TheSQLGuru
5/8/2010 2:13:55 PM
The payment is in the mail Kevin :)

--

Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"TheSQLGuru" <kgboles@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> How would I find wait stats?
>
> Go to PASS and attend Andy's incredibly good presentation on the topic!!
> :)
>
> --
> Kevin G. Boles
> Indicium Resources, Inc.
> SQL Server MVP
> kgboles a earthlink dt net
>

> "Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message
>>I know the hardware on my own box but no idea - and no way to find - the
>>hardware on the remote box. How would I find wait stats?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon
>>
>> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>>> There are lots of things it can be but what is the difference in the
>>> hardware between the 2 box's?  Look to see what it's waiting on. What do
>>> the wait stats tell you?  Is it blocking?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
>>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>>
>>> "Jon Spivey" <js@nisusnewmedia.com> wrote in message

0
Andrew

Using OL'98 'Outlook Bar' to manage files performs illegal operation
I setup the outlook bar w/ shortcuts to different folders (local & network) so that I could use it instead of windows explorer. The first time I set this up, it worked fine for a couple of days, and now all I get is illegal operations when I click on one of the short cuts. OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff9d709. Any suggestions? I've already tried the suggestions on MS- OL98 troubleshooting tips re: this problem. It fixed it for about 2 seconds. Looking for permanent fix ezroller ...

Multiple Domain Names on Outlook using the Exchange Server
Our company uses Outlook 2000 on exchange servers and all mail leaves with an envelope From address of @bear.com. I have a separate domain, user@maxrecovery.co.uk that i'd like to use on outgoing mails, so that all my recipients will see on the From: address, user@maxrecovery.co.uk and not user@bear.com and also not From: user@bear.com on behalf of user(Exchange) [user@maxrecovery.co.uk]. Is this possible? Also, Is it possible for me to receive mail if either user@bear.com or user@maxrecovery.co.uk is used? Thanks. ...

Syntax for a static GUID in Jet SQL
I'm trying to execute an INSERT query with a static GUID value, but can't get the syntax right. Assuming that Col1 of Table1 is a GUID field, what's the correct form of the following: INSERT INTO Table1 (Col1, Col2... ColN) SELECT '12345678-9ABC-DEF0-1234-56789ABCDEF0', Col2... ColN FROM Table2 I've tried various combinations of ', ", #, {}... and can't seem to find the answer. Thanks. J Not sure but I think that for JET, you need something like: {guid {5FF51B8E-8A0C-11D2-BD7C-006008D242CD}} Don't know if you must enclose this between sin...

Terminal server running outlook 2003
I have a terminal server running outlook 2003, and an exchange server. i also have a pop3 setup on the outlook. when sending email through the pop3 i get a 554 5.7.1 <ss@xx.com>: Relay access denied. i can send internally and to the email provider through the pop3 account, but not to anyone else. i setup a different pop3 email from a different provider and it sent fine. Anyone have any ideas?? You could try enabling authentication for the SMTP server but not all mail servers allow themselves to be used from outside the hosting network. For details see; http://www.msou...

TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Sorry for the large cross-post. Just wanted to make sure any interested parties were aware of this "SP1 Overview" webcast set for tomorrow: TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Wednesday, June 16, 2004: 10:00 AM Pacific time (Greenwich mean time - 7 hours) This Support WebCast session introduces Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). It talks about the various changes that are included in SP1 and the benefits of installing SP1. The session also briefly introduces some of the Web release tools that will be released at th...

Requesting Data from Exchange server.....runs constantly
Within minutes of starting Outlook, it starts to request data from the Exchange server. Other than cancelling the request, which allows me to use Outlook for another 5 minutes before it pops up again, what is it trying to do and why does it never end? I have left it running for hours and there is no data received. Outlook 2002? Make sure Instant Messaging is *not* enabled (Tools/Options/Other). SueM >-----Original Message----- >Within minutes of starting Outlook, it starts to request >data from the Exchange server. Other than cancelling the >request, which allows me to u...

Server Specs
We are looking at a possible move from SAP to GP ERP. We would have a total of 125 concurrent users with no need for the business portal. Now not knowing a ton about GP, what kind of server specs should I be considering? We are going to have redundant SQL Servers attached to a SAN. Now this is what someone recommended to us. 2 Dual Core 2.2GHz or better/8GB RAM/2x73GB RAID1 for OS running Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005. SQL Server disk config RAID 1 for SQL db logfiles 2 disks Raid 10 for SQL data files 8 disks Raid 1 for temdb 2 disks Raid 0 for SQL backups full and log 2 disks That&#...

Multiple Exchange Servers?
I am looking for someone that has multiple Exchange 2000 servers set up in the same domain. We have added another server, now have a Master-Member server relationship between the two. I have questions about how Outlook Web Access reacts to this. When users that have their mailboxes log on, they have to log on twice to get through. Once to the Master mailserver then to the Member. Does anyone out there have this problem/situation and be willing to discuss your setup? Jim D. Promenix What do you mean by 'Master-Member'? Sounds like you mean a Front-End / Back-End topology. ...

can't receive mail on second exchange server
We have two Exchange servers. One is Exchange 2003 SP1, and we installed Exchange 2003 with sp1 followed by sp2 installation on the other server. The new mailbox created on the second Exchange can't receive mail. Can send, but can't receive. Gets the following error on Send/Receive: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found. and sync error 14:38:00 Synchronizer Version 11.0.6352 14:38:00 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Proben' 14:38:00 Synchronizing Hierarchy 14:38:00 Done 14:38:00 Microsoft Exchange ...

Report Server shows 'Service Unavailable'
Hi, before install, the SRS setup, send me a warning, some like "the Windows Sharepoint Services are install and not permit initialize a Reportserver component" i skip wiht the installation, so.. I can't run http://<localhost>/Reports and http://<localhost>ReportServer show a message "Service Unavailabe", but the ReportServer service is running How initialize that or what do i do? ------=_NextPart_0001_09E699C9 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > before install, the SRS set...

Outlook Client with NT Computer(NT 4.0 and 2000 Pro) Can't connect to server.
I have problem with Client to connect to Exchange 2000 Server. Clients with Window 98 and 2000 pro work within the same subnet, and a few with NT and 2000 Pro don't work with the different subnets, even though Outlook Web Access is working fine and network access is working properly. I figured that this is not network problem because by using UNC, Client computer can see Server computer and access to it. It is not the Account problem either. I also used an admin account. I still can't connect. It is too unprofessional to blame microsoft for this, but Microsoft didn't have ...

Account from 2nd Exchange server not receiving email
I had exchange server mail1.domain.org. Everything has been working fine. I just installed a 2nd exchange server mail2.domain.org. What do I need to do so that accounts created on mail2 as user2@domain.org can receive emails from everywhere just like users from mail1 created as user1@domain.org have been receiving? Thanks. JKM <JKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had exchange server mail1.domain.org. Everything has been working fine. I >just installed a 2nd exchange server mail2.domain.org. What do I need to do >so that accounts created on mail2 as user2@domain.org ...

Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program in windows 2003
Does anyone know how I go about installing Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program on Windows 2003? Articles talk about using this and I think I may need to use this to remove the last 5.5 server in my org as the server is now defunct (in fact melted) I cannot get any version of 5.5 to install on the 2003 server ???? I am runnign setup.exe on the Exchange 5.5 CD?? jON On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:15:12 +0100, "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how I go about installing Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator >program on Windows 2003? > >Art...

I noticed a problem during including DLL library witch was written in LabVIEW7 from DLL INPROC COM SERVER (written in Visual C++ 7.0). I use a standard routine to include library which is LoadLibrary(....) and afterward GetProcAddress(.....) to get a pointer to specified function from DLL. Handle that i got from LoadLibrary is not NULL as well as ptr to function from included DLL. But when i call this function via ptr program freezes at this line. As I have mentioned this program is DLL InPROC COM Server I have the same server in EXE LOCAL COM Server simultaneusly and this way of DLL implem...

search file on computer remote
Hi, i would like to create script VBS, which search an file in remote computer. This is my script, but doesn't work: Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") strComputer = pcremote if objFSO.FileExists("\\" & strComputer &"D:\H4PDF\toto2.txt") Then MsgBox "Fichier toto OK", vbExclamation Else MsgBox "Fichier toto KO", vbExclamation End If Loop Best Regards, Robby "Robby" <fabrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uh3ch0SELHA.5736@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi...

Loosing contact with Exchange Server.
Hi. I have a user that is loosing the connection to our exchange server while he is connected to the local network. He is running Outlook2003 with rpc over https as connection methode to our Exchange2003 server. The internet connection is ok and no other network problems. Any idea what the problem is? Dag N ...

Outlook 2003 Can't Read Hotmail
This is a strange one. I've looked in this newsgroup and did a Google search, and tried everything suggested, and it still doesn't work. As suggested, I created a profile just for Hotmail. I told it to prompt for my password. After I start Outlook and specify my password, it shows me the correct number of unread messages. When I click on the "Inbox in Hotmail" folder, it shows me all the headers. But when I select the latest e-mail, the reading pane says "This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents." When I double-click the...

"the rpc server is unvailable"
somebody outside our company is trying to send an email to us earlier this morning...it bounces back to them saying joedoe@ourcompany.com "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <ny01.hiscompanyl.com #5.5.0 smtp;550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this>" then i did a quick test from my outside hotmail and ask him again and resend it to us and it went thru. so it seems this problem is intermittent. i think it happens in the past before. so in excha...

Export Registry Entries for Local Policies
If I need to EXPORT the Registry Entries for "Local Policies" found in "Local Security Settings," WHERE are they? Need to export ALL the "Local Policies" entries. MageMaster wrote: > If I need to EXPORT the Registry Entries for "Local Policies" found in > "Local Security Settings," WHERE are they? > > Need to export ALL the "Local Policies" entries. You will have to export the security settings via the Local Security Policy snap-in, or you can use the Secedit tool but you might need to apply a hotfix for ...

Deleted emails reappearing after a reboot of the server.
After I reboot my server I have a user who gets previosuly deleted emails back in his inbox. These are emails that he already read and deleted. I would like to correct this since it really is a waste of his time to delete these emails again. I have an exchange server 2000 and his client is Outlook XP. Thanks in advance. Frank In news:55CEA974-AEDB-45F7-9B19-DFE4406F5BC4@microsoft.com, Zach <zach@news.postalias> typed: > After I reboot my server I have a user who gets previosuly deleted > emails back in his inbox. These are emails that he already read and > deleted. ...

LDAP Server, port, user, pwd, popup on Outlook Start
Hi, I updated Outlook 2000 to 2003 with Business Contact manager. Immediately after restarting my system and launching Outlook I started receiving a pop-up requesting, "LDAP Server, Port, User, Password". My email is much slower and I don't have the information requested. I tried deleting my email accounts for Outlook and Outlook Express and recreating them but I still get prompted with the pop-up. Ideas? Jim Delete the LDAP service from your profile if you don't use it. Control Panel-> Mail-> button E-mail Accounts-> View/change address books -- Robert ...

The validate schema menu (VS.NET 2002)
Hi. Does the Validate Schema menu option interpret any feature of a .xsd file? I am trying to test a simple extension from a complextype, but when I try to validate my XML file, the validation complains. This is my .xsd file: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <xs:schema id="Sent" targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/OrdersExtended.xsd" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:mstns="http://tempuri.org/OrdersExtended.xsd" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata" attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementForm...

SSRS 2005 accessing SQL Server 2000 databases
I have been asked to upgrade a server from SS2000 to SS2005 so that SSRS 2005 can be used to create reports using the upgraded database. I maintain that SSRS 2005 can access SS2000 databases directly, so the upgrade may be unnecessary. Are there features of SSRS 2005 which are unavailable when creating reports from a SS2000 database? Be very specific if you are able. Thanks When talking about databases and version you need to consider two things. The database that the report is based on and the location of the databases used internally by Reporting Services. RS can report...

editing word doc on a server
I have office 2003 on my laptop. I have documents on a citrix server and because office is not on the server I can not edit them. Any way to do this? Sharepoint maybe? I'm not a server guru (nor do I play on on TV) but I don't think that has anything to do with it. What happens when you try to edit those files? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "edit doc on citrix server no office?" <edit doc on citrix server no office?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1...

Slow Performance
I would like to improve the performance of Money. It tends to max out my processor (PIII-500Mhz) for a few minutes every time I open it and when I am entering transactions. My file was originally created in Money 98, was converted to Money 2002, and just recently converted to 2006 in hopes that 2006 would perform better. I archive my transactions annually, keeping 2 years worth in my file. Is there anything else I can do??? In microsoft.public.money, Thirsh wrote: >I would like to improve the performance of Money. It tends to max out my >processor (PIII-500Mhz) for a few minu...