AbbA

0
Abba

On 2010-02-17 7:18, Abba wrote:
> Is there any recommended paging file size for SQL Server?

It hardly matters. You never want SQL Server to need the page file, as
performance will go down the tubes. For its part, SQL Server will do its
utmost to keep everything in RAM.

You should follow the usual recommendations for page file size, independent
of SQL Server.

--
J.
0

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? For 32 bit do you have any CLR, linked
servers or 3rd party products that use MemToLeave memory inside SQL? If you
do then the 1.5 times RAM will help as SQL will suffer from memory pressure.
If you are running 64 bit then it is not as important so try a reasonable
size and see if it gets used. If you want a full memory dump then 1.5 times
at least.

HTH

Chris
"Abba" <sql_help@aaa.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is there any recommended paging file size for SQL Server? My understanding
> is that, there is no min/max size limit specific to SQLServer and it
> depends on the OS need(1.5x or 2.5x etc). Please let me know if that is
> not correct (with info from MS, if possible)
>

> TIA,
> AbbA

0
Chris
2/17/2010 8:25:00 PM
Thanks Jeroen!

"Jeroen Mostert" <jmostert@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> On 2010-02-17 7:18, Abba wrote:
>> Is there any recommended paging file size for SQL Server?
>
> It hardly matters. You never want SQL Server to need the page file, as
> performance will go down the tubes. For its part, SQL Server will do its
> utmost to keep everything in RAM.
>
> You should follow the usual recommendations for page file size,
> independent of SQL Server.
>
> --
> J.

0
Abba
2/18/2010 6:28:43 AM
Thanks Chris. Its a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit.

Useful info. Thanks again!

"Chris Wood" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> AbbA,
>
> Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? For 32 bit do you have any CLR, linked
> servers or 3rd party products that use MemToLeave memory inside SQL? If
> you do then the 1.5 times RAM will help as SQL will suffer from memory
> pressure. If you are running 64 bit then it is not as important so try a
> reasonable size and see if it gets used. If you want a full memory dump
> then 1.5 times at least.
>
> HTH
>
> Chris
> "Abba" <sql_help@aaa.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there any recommended paging file size for SQL Server? My
>> understanding is that, there is no min/max size limit specific to
>> SQLServer and it depends on the OS need(1.5x or 2.5x etc). Please let me
>> know if that is not correct (with info from MS, if possible)
>>

>> TIA,
>> AbbA

0
Abba

Why can't I convert quatro pro .wb3 file in Excel #2
I have trid everything suggested in Excel and on-line but can't convert my *.wb3 file in Excel 2003. Downloaded the Office converter file and ran it, still nothing appropriate in add-ins. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Tom ...

Size of drop down boxes
I have a number of drop down select boxes, through the dta/validatio method, i want all the options to be displayed instead of having t scroll up and down, is this possible Thanks Rober -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK this is not possible with data validation listboxes -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have a number of drop down select boxes, through the dta/validation > method, i want all the options to be displayed instead of having to > scroll up and down, is this possible > Thanks > Robert > > > --- > Message posted fro...

Outlook
Can anyone help me? I just realized that my Outlook/hotmail account has been sending attachment attachments as *.dat files. This occurs randomly, and I don't how to prevent it. I read the article, "How to Prevent the Winmail.dat File from Being Sent to Internet Users" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138053. But, I don't understand how to configure my personal address book. I don't even use it. I have contacts set up in Outlook, but I had no idea this was affecting the way their email messages were sent. I use my hotmail account to sent out my resumes...

ie8 not refreshing pages
I am having rather severe problems where my IE8 isnt refreshing web pages, no matter whether I try and manually refresh. Even if I clean out temporary internet files and set to always download a new page it is not refreshing certain web sites. I am running this on Windows Server 2008 R2. I think I should try and reinstall it, but theres no way to do that on this operating system. IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Browsing history | Settings | Check for newer versions of stored webpages: Is "Every time I visit the webpage" selected? Neal Stoughton wrote: ...

Copying files to disc with pictures
Hi, I have tried to copy my publisher files from my hard drive to a cd but when I open the files from the cd on a different computer the pictures do not show up. Anyone know how I copy so that the pictures are included as well? Thanks, Brian If the images are linked rather than imbedded, the images will not copy. Otherwise Publisher does not do well opening from a removable disk. Drag the file to your hard drive and open again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Open a file 03-18-08
Sorry, I posted this in a different group because it forgot to cross post: I'm trying to create a button that will open a file in access 2000. The location of the file is D:\Test\label.xff. If I run this in the command prompt, it opens the file with no problems. If I create an event on a button to open the file I get an error. The VB code is this: Private Sub RunForms_Click() Dim RetVal RetVal = Shell("D:\Test\label.xff", 1) End Sub Why won't this work if it works in the command prompt? Thanks, Jasper It doesn't work because Shell requires the name of a...

Excel 2007
Hi, I wanted to post a fix to a common problem I've seen. There are many posts on the internet concerning this but I've only seen the true fix once. Here's the problem, someone installs Office 2007 and then when they try to double click on an Excel file, it opens Excel but the Excel file itself does not open. So, you are left looking at the Excel 2007 screen, but it is blank with no workbooks open (not even the default one that usually opens). Here is the official Microsoft solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 - however, this only fixes about 20% of the case...

csv file drops zeros at beginning of a set of Numbers
I have programs that only import the csv format. When I create the file with a text field using number such as 0101, 0321 if I close and reopen the file it drops the zero. How do I correct this? Lisa Three ways 1) If all the 'numbers' are the same length (4 characters) then via Format>Cells...Number>Custom, type 0000 2) Pre-format the cells to text and it will retain the leading zeroes. 3) rename the file with no extension or a *.txt one and then when you open it Excel will invoke the import wizard, choose delimited, comma and then in the third stage of the wizard, mar...

Missing pages when PDF entire workbook

Open files while login, Pls help
Hello Everybody, I have many files that open while login to the the system using Start-All programs-Startup. However, I have noticed that whatever files that has been saved at the end of day are not reflect the same(whatever data i have saved) when i login to the system a very next morning. Could you pls help on this issue Thanks and Regards Ashfaq Noorie. PS: i'm using version 2007 excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree&...

EXCHANGE 2007 MESSAGE SIZE LIMIT
Hello. I am running an environment with Exchange 2003 and 2007. Our message size limits are 50MB and have worked fine until 2007 was installed. Now, any users on the 2003 box have only a 10MB limit, even though it says 50MB in System Manager. I have also set the parameter on the command line on the Exchange 2007 server, but no dice. Users on the 2007 server work fine. I'm stuck ... any ideas? Have you checked message size limits on the Connector? Are you using an Edge server as well? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---...

Accidental Saved over Excel File
I was clicking on a help topic and realized as it was loading the help screen, that I needed to click on the other topic. I clicked several times and then somehow it clicked something in the background in the worksheet, my worksheet is now blank, and all the data is gone. Is there ANYWAY at all to get the workbook again in the condition it was before the accidental last save??? Sorry to Say, but AFAIK there is no way to recover your files except of course if you have made a back up copy. "Tom" <wilsontb@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:00b001c38fb8$69c6da60$a00128...

How can I change the default paper size of a blank publication?
Publisher 97/98 asked for a choice to be made re paper size and measurements at setup. This allowed for European A4 to be the paper for the basic blank publication as opposed to US Letter. Is it possible to make this selection with PUblisher 2003. If so how? Do you have these settings available through your printer? If so set it up first, Publisher will follow along. You can change the page measurements to centimeters in Options, found under tools. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Paramount" <Paramoun...

PDF or Image file transfer to Excel
Is there any possible way to pull the information off an image onto Excel? For example, Blue Company receives a remittance advice each month from Red Customer. This remittance advice is received in PDF format and is hundreds of pages. Is there anyway to take this remittance advice in PDF format and translate it to Excel? That way all the invoices on this remittance advice do not have to be manually keyed? Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!! Ryan You can convert the pdf to an html file, and then open it up in Excel. Of course you'll lose formatting but you can reconstruct it ...

File Save in network
My application has Open,Save,SaveAs menu for its configuration file. Generally configuration files are created in network server so that they can be shared and I have trouble in saving an existing file to network server. I mean, it can create and save as a new file but if I open an existing file and try to save, then I got warning msg like "Access to \\server\folder1\folder2\conf.bin was denied"(I have permission to write to the folder). Do you think this is an application problem? Just for test, I tried saving in local folder and it works. // // Open // void CMyApp::OnFileOpen() { ...

Cannot open Publisher file #2
I created a newsletter in Publisher last week and went to open it yesterday to finish it, but I keep getting a message saying Publisher cannot open the file. I have been working on it all week and had no problems, but suddenly it won't open. I haven't a clue as to what is wrong with the file or what could have happened. I use Publisher 2000 right now and have never had this happen before. I can't even find any backup for the file, which I usually have. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and if so what caused it? If I have to recreate this whole thing I am going to h...

File being "used by another user"

Message size limit?
Hi everyone, In Exchange Standard is the SMTP properties the only place to control outgoing message size? I've got a user that needs to send greater than 9mb files occasionally and they're getting bounced. He can receive them, just not send them. Thanks, Mike You can set this properti per user too. If you have installed antivirus software, this property can appera in this product, check, if this is a restriction. -- Gustavo Del Grosso Laboratorios Andrómaco Gerencia de Tecnología gustavodelgrosso@hotmail.com "Mike G." wrote: > Hi everyone, > ...

save as web page #4
Is it possible to save a range of cells to a web page without having excel put the long and detailed html formatting instructions. I am only interested in saving the text to be reused in client excel programs --- formatting is not needed for my application. ...

rotate page
Received a pub file that is vertical on the page. I cannot rotate the page so am unable to read, or edit. Using Publisher 2002. Thanks, Patty What happens when you try to open the file? If you are able to do so, have you tried rotating the individual elements? -- Ron Cohen "Patty Tappan" <patty1@qwest.net> wrote in message news:WNNVd.36$0f7.1415@news.uswest.net... > Received a pub file that is vertical on the page. I cannot rotate the > page > so am unable to read, or edit. Using Publisher 2002. > Thanks, Patty > > "Patty Tappan" <...

MSN Explorer using Money file on hard drive?
I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week to solve his Money issues. I am a little bewildered by what I have seen. Point by point... 1. He and said that things he entered were "not sticking". He is VERY elderly and not that savvy with PCs, so I took this with a grain of salt...BUT... 2. He is using MSN Explorer to manage his portfolio, so I thought it was all online. 3. Upon looking at his portfolio and then closing MSN Explorer, we got a message on the screen that his "file was being compressed". That sent up a big red flag to ...

How to save a Publisher 2003 file to open as Pulbisher 97?
I need to share a few files with someone who has Publisher 97. I have Publisher 2003. What format do I need to save my file as to let them view/print/change the file? Is this possible? Please help. Thanks. Ann Can't be done. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Mannjash" <Mannjash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80924108-2165-416D-BA4B-9F467062298E@microsoft.com... >I need to share a few files with someone who has Publisher 97. I have > Publisher 2003. What format do I need to save my file as to let them > view/print/change ...

Converting into a small html file
I have a list, made with Excel 2003, of about 600 items. If I create a pdf, I get a small 35 kb file. However, I'd rather create a html file. The point is, when I make excel save the file as html, the output is a heavy 350 kb file! Plus, it also creates a directory with some stuff that html file apparetnly needs. Instead, I would like to create a small html stand-alone file, wich requires no additional directories nor files. Is there an easy way to do it? How can the html file be more than 10 times bigger than the pdf? Hi Zio, My guess is that you would probably be creating about ...

All mail missing in pst file after decrypt
I have decrypt the pst file on a notebook, after decrypt and when I open the file in Outlook 2000, the pst file is empty with zero kb. When I look at the acutal file size, it is over 900mb. I have tried using scanpst but still does not help. Anyone can help with this problem urgently ? Appreciate your help ...

logging to text file and opening at end of program
Hi, I'm using a utility class to provide debugging notes during program run to see where things are happening. ....in class Util.vb..... Public Sub Logentry(ByVal strMsg As String) If m_Debug Then File.AppendAllText(m_DebugFileName, strMsg + Environment.NewLine) End If End Sub Sub OpenDebugLog() Process.Start(m_DebugFileName) End Sub .............................. then in program call logentry at points of interest... at end of program call OpenDebugLog ....in file program.vb... Protected Overrides Sub Finalize() m_util.OpenDebugLog() m_u...