Keyword EXCEPT not working - SQL Server 2000

Folks,

Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions?

Thanks!
J.S.
0
Jack

Yes.

Tom

"Jack" <jack@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions?
>
> Thanks!
> J.S.

0
Tom
9/9/2010 8:31:48 PM
Thanks, Tom.  Could you advise me of any workaround that may accomplish the
same thing in SQL Server 2000?  Let me explain the issue I have been trying
to solve but without success.  It seems very simple but just doesn't get
solved.

I have a table with a list of products which ProductID and ProductName.and
some other related columns.
I have another table with CustomerID, CustomerName, Customer Email and a
bunch of related columns.

Since the number of products was large I  created another table of purchase
transactions mentioning CustomerName (probablyredundant), CustomerID,
ProductID andTransactionID.

I wanted a list of all customers with ProductNames, not just ProductID so I
created a query which is something like (I am mentioning only the important
columns for the sake of simplicity).

SELECT      dbo.Customers.CustomerID, dbo.Customers.CustomerName,
dbo.Customers.CustomerEmail, dbo.Products.ProductName,
dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, dbo.ProductsByCustomer.TransactionID.
FROM          dbo.Customers INNER JOIN
                      dbo.ProductsByCustomer ON dbo.Customers.CustomerID =
dbo.ProductsByCustomer.CustomerID INNER JOIN
                        dbo.Products ON dbo.ProductsByCustomer.ProductID =
dbo.Products.ProductID

In the results of this query some customers are mentioned in several rows
because they have purchased several products.  I filtered this query by a
particular product and sent emails to those customers.  Now I want to send
emails to customers with other products (some customers purchased this one
also) but I do not want to send emails to those customers again to whom I
have already sent emails.  This should be fairly easy to accomplish, right?
But when I try to do so it doesn't work and I understand why but I don't
know a solution without using EXCEPT.

Basically I want a List of Customers who have purchased another product but
I do not want to send repeat emails to customers who have already received
emails because of the previous product.  Can this be accomplished in SQL
server 2000?

Thanks!
Jack

"Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> Tom

0
Jack
9/10/2010 12:45:45 AM
As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
that would be something like

SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
/* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
so I'm ignoring it
dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
pc.TransactionID.
FROM          dbo.Customers c
INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)

If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
line to read

  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))

And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.

> Thanks, Tom.  Could you advise me of any workaround that may accomplish
> the same thing in SQL Server 2000?  Let me explain the issue I have been
> trying to solve but without success.  It seems very simple but just
> doesn't get solved.
>
> I have a table with a list of products which ProductID and ProductName.and
> some other related columns.
> I have another table with CustomerID, CustomerName, Customer Email and a
> bunch of related columns.
>
> Since the number of products was large I  created another table of
> purchase transactions mentioning CustomerName (probablyredundant),
> CustomerID, ProductID andTransactionID.
>
> I wanted a list of all customers with ProductNames, not just ProductID so
> I created a query which is something like (I am mentioning only the
> important columns for the sake of simplicity).
>
> SELECT      dbo.Customers.CustomerID, dbo.Customers.CustomerName,
> dbo.Customers.CustomerEmail, dbo.Products.ProductName,
> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, dbo.ProductsByCustomer.TransactionID.
> FROM          dbo.Customers INNER JOIN
>                      dbo.ProductsByCustomer ON dbo.Customers.CustomerID =
> dbo.ProductsByCustomer.CustomerID INNER JOIN
>                        dbo.Products ON dbo.ProductsByCustomer.ProductID =
> dbo.Products.ProductID
>
> In the results of this query some customers are mentioned in several rows
> because they have purchased several products.  I filtered this query by a
> particular product and sent emails to those customers.  Now I want to send
> emails to customers with other products (some customers purchased this one
> also) but I do not want to send emails to those customers again to whom I
> have already sent emails.  This should be fairly easy to accomplish,
> right? But when I try to do so it doesn't work and I understand why but I
> don't know a solution without using EXCEPT.
>
> Basically I want a List of Customers who have purchased another product
> but I do not want to send repeat emails to customers who have already
> received emails because of the previous product.  Can this be accomplished
> in SQL server 2000?
>
> Thanks!
> Jack
>
> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes.
>>
>> Tom

0
Tom
9/10/2010 3:51:30 AM
That was amazing, Tom.  I thought maybe it wouldn't work without EXCEPT but
your code worked perfectly.  I am glad you mentioned the last line also in
case of more products like (25,47,63).

Regarding the database, my webhost is ready to move me from SQL 2000 to SQL
2008 box but I am not sure what, if any, problems such a migration could
cause.

> As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
> those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
> that would be something like
>
> SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
> c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
> /* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
> so I'm ignoring it
> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
> pc.TransactionID.
> FROM          dbo.Customers c
> INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
> INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
> WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)
>
> If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
> Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
> line to read
>
>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))
>
> And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.
>
> Tom

0
Jack
9/11/2010 12:58:49 AM
Glad I could help.

It is certainly possible to have things break when you upgrade.  There is an
Upgrade Advisor which can help finding potential problems.  You can find
tthe 2008 version at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=F5A6C5E9-4CD9-4E42-A21C-7291E7F0F852&displaylang=en.
You will also definitely want to review the backward compatability issues -
you can find the 2008 version at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280407%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx.  And
at look at the topics under "Upgrading to SQL Server 2008" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx and
review the topics that are relevant to your instalation.

One very common problem people had when upgrading was that they had coded
views like
CREATE MyView AS
SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT <column list>
FROM MyTable
ORDER BY <some column>

Then when they selected from that view, they just did

SELECT <column list> FROM MyView

and expected the result to be ordered by <some column> because the view had
an order by.  This was always bad coding, but it usually worked in SQL 2000.
In SQL 2005 or later, it is much more likely not to work.  If you want the
result ordered when you select from the view, you must use an ORDER BY when
selecting from the view.  That is

SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
ORDER BY <some column>

You will want to test using SQL 2008 before going live with it.  So the
upgrade will be some work, but there are many new features available and the
upgrade is well worth the effort.

> That was amazing, Tom.  I thought maybe it wouldn't work without EXCEPT
> but your code worked perfectly.  I am glad you mentioned the last line
> also in case of more products like (25,47,63).
>
> Regarding the database, my webhost is ready to move me from SQL 2000 to
> SQL 2008 box but I am not sure what, if any, problems such a migration
> could cause.
>
> Jack
>

> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
>> those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
>> that would be something like
>>
>> SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
>> c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
>> /* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
>> so I'm ignoring it
>> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
>> pc.TransactionID.
>> FROM          dbo.Customers c
>> INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
>> INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
>> WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
>>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)
>>
>> If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
>> Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
>> line to read
>>
>>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))
>>
>> And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.
>>
>> Tom

0
Tom
9/11/2010 5:31:53 AM
Tom,

Thanks for those useful links, your detailed responses, and your good
advice.  I am grateful for your help.

And I am going to move to SQL 2008 while keeping everything you have said in
mind.

> Glad I could help.
>
> It is certainly possible to have things break when you upgrade.  There is
> an Upgrade Advisor which can help finding potential problems.  You can
> find tthe 2008 version at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=F5A6C5E9-4CD9-4E42-A21C-7291E7F0F852&displaylang=en.
> You will also definitely want to review the backward compatability
> issues - you can find the 2008 version at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280407%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx.  And
> at look at the topics under "Upgrading to SQL Server 2008" at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx and
> review the topics that are relevant to your instalation.
>
> One very common problem people had when upgrading was that they had coded
> views like
> CREATE MyView AS
> SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT <column list>
> FROM MyTable
> ORDER BY <some column>
>
> Then when they selected from that view, they just did
>
> SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
>
> and expected the result to be ordered by <some column> because the view
> had an order by.  This was always bad coding, but it usually worked in SQL
> 2000. In SQL 2005 or later, it is much more likely not to work.  If you
> want the result ordered when you select from the view, you must use an
> ORDER BY when selecting from the view.  That is
>
> SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
> ORDER BY <some column>
>
> You will want to test using SQL 2008 before going live with it.  So the
> upgrade will be some work, but there are many new features available and
> the upgrade is well worth the effort.
>
> Tom

0
Jack

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Relay from unstruted server

Relay Servers?

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Microsoft Exchange Server

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

SQL View with Smartlist Builder
I am having to recreate Anyviews (GP8) into Smartlists (GP10SP3). Not very happy. Many of our Smartlist require the use of SQL views do to the limitations of Anyview and now Smartlist. It appears that I must create a separate Smartlist for each company I wish to use my sql view with. Is there not a way to include a custom SQL view in Smartlist, and have Smartlist use the company the user is logged into? The view exist in each company database. Can this be done with SQL Reporting server and DynamicsGP? Can I pull a report based on the company db the user is logged into? Thanks for the...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Outlook 2000 running on XP
After setting up a mail account and indicating that I want all passwords remembered I constantly get promoted to enter a password when I send and/or receive mail. I have clicked remember password in all dialoges during the setup process and via the Properties dialog following the creation of the account. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully accepted Thanks "Ross Andrews" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fb4801c45886$24eab500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After setting up a mail account and indicating that I > want all passwords reme...

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Date function quit working

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Outlook to SQL
The problem is this I'm trying to get my Contact list that was created on a Exchange Server to a SQL table. How do I do this with keeping the Database created in SQL up-to-date via Outlook. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/database.htm and = http://www.slipstick.com/addins/groupcontacts.htm for tools to help with = this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "ErikSQLConfuser" <ErikSQLConfuser@discussions.microsoft.com...

RPC Over HTTP on Single Server

find instance of IE for server socket in activex component
Hi I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I need to pass something like a pointer of hte javascript object .If so how Thanks When you say "server socket", that suggests a socket that does a Listen followed by an Accept. Otherwise it is a client socke...

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003