Calling stored procedures from another one

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and its 
backend database that allows an object oriented design, granularity and 
performance.

I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish these goals 
but want to get some feedback.

The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a single 
database hit.

I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people. The 
problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients, Employees, 
Freelancers, etc.

Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of elements. For 
example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need home 
address for clients but I do need it for employees.

So the approach is this:
I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database that has 
all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does an INSERT and 
returns the database assigned ID of the individual. Let's call this stored 
procedure sp_NewIndividual

I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees e.g. 
address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored procedure 
sp_EmployeeInfo

The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure that 
executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one sp_NewEmployee 
which looks like this:

EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params

This approach gives me the following advantages:
1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e. 
sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database

2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives me the 
flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my needs. For example, 
if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored procedure 
sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.

3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to re-write the 
same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends up 
creating a maintenance nightmare.

4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server because 
there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple 
INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and factoring them 
into their own stored procedures and then calling them from another one.

I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any disadvantages 
that I'm not seeing?

Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to reduce 
database trips?

-- 
Thanks,

Sam
0
Utf
2/19/2010 12:40:01 AM
sqlserver.programming 1873 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
534 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

The data model you are proposing is that of Exclusive Subtypes, which is 
appropriate.  However, I would take a slightly different approach to the 
procs.  I agree on the sp_NewIndividual proc to enter the common attributes. 
However, for all subtype attributes, I would create one proc for each such 
subtype, as you propose.  Where I differ is that in each such proc, I would 
call sp_NewIndividual first and then add the pieces unique to the subtype. 
Inside such procs, I would:

1)    begin a transaction
2)    execute sp_NewIndividual
3)    carry out the necessary piece unique to the subtype
4)    commit the transaction

-- 
   Tom

----------------------------------------------------
Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON   Canada
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau


"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
Hi,

I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and its
backend database that allows an object oriented design, granularity and
performance.

I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish these goals
but want to get some feedback.

The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a single
database hit.

I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people. The
problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients, Employees,
Freelancers, etc.

Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of elements. For
example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need home
address for clients but I do need it for employees.

So the approach is this:
I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database that has
all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does an INSERT and
returns the database assigned ID of the individual. Let's call this stored
procedure sp_NewIndividual

I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees e.g.
address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored procedure
sp_EmployeeInfo

The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure that
executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one sp_NewEmployee
which looks like this:

EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params

This approach gives me the following advantages:
1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database

2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives me the
flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my needs. For example,
if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored procedure
sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.

3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to re-write the
same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends up
creating a maintenance nightmare.

4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server because
there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and factoring them
into their own stored procedures and then calling them from another one.

I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any disadvantages
that I'm not seeing?

Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to reduce
database trips?

-- 
Thanks,

Sam 

0
Tom
2/19/2010 2:44:17 AM
Tom,

First, thank you for your response.

I see your point. I think in 2 step approaches, your approach makes a lot of 
sense. If my process, requires 3,4,5 steps i.e. executing many stored 
procedures, then a third, kind of a central stored procedure is probably the 
only way to do it.

Thanks again.
-- 
Thanks,

Sam


"Tom Moreau" wrote:

> The data model you are proposing is that of Exclusive Subtypes, which is 
> appropriate.  However, I would take a slightly different approach to the 
> procs.  I agree on the sp_NewIndividual proc to enter the common attributes. 
> However, for all subtype attributes, I would create one proc for each such 
> subtype, as you propose.  Where I differ is that in each such proc, I would 
> call sp_NewIndividual first and then add the pieces unique to the subtype. 
> Inside such procs, I would:
> 
> 1)    begin a transaction
> 2)    execute sp_NewIndividual
> 3)    carry out the necessary piece unique to the subtype
> 4)    commit the transaction
> 
> -- 
>    Tom
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------
> Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
> SQL Server MVP
> Toronto, ON   Canada
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau
> 
> 
> "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> 
> I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and its
> backend database that allows an object oriented design, granularity and
> performance.
> 
> I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish these goals
> but want to get some feedback.
> 
> The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a single
> database hit.
> 
> I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people. The
> problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients, Employees,
> Freelancers, etc.
> 
> Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of elements. For
> example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need home
> address for clients but I do need it for employees.
> 
> So the approach is this:
> I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database that has
> all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does an INSERT and
> returns the database assigned ID of the individual. Let's call this stored
> procedure sp_NewIndividual
> 
> I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees e.g.
> address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored procedure
> sp_EmployeeInfo
> 
> The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure that
> executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one sp_NewEmployee
> which looks like this:
> 
> EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
> EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params
> 
> This approach gives me the following advantages:
> 1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
> sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database
> 
> 2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives me the
> flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my needs. For example,
> if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored procedure
> sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.
> 
> 3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to re-write the
> same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends up
> creating a maintenance nightmare.
> 
> 4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server because
> there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and factoring them
> into their own stored procedures and then calling them from another one.
> 
> I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any disadvantages
> that I'm not seeing?
> 
> Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to reduce
> database trips?
> 
> -- 
> Thanks,
> 
> Sam 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/19/2010 4:21:01 AM
One thing I would add to Tom's reply is don't use sp_ as a prefix for stored 
procedure names.  If you do, there is a (small) performance cost every time 
you call that stored procedure since Microsoft uses that convention for it's 
system procedures and does special processing for any call to a stored 
procedure whose name begins with sp_.

Tom

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and its
> backend database that allows an object oriented design, granularity and
> performance.
>
> I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish these 
> goals
> but want to get some feedback.
>
> The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a single
> database hit.
>
> I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people. The
> problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients, Employees,
> Freelancers, etc.
>
> Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of elements. 
> For
> example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need home
> address for clients but I do need it for employees.
>
> So the approach is this:
> I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database that has
> all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does an INSERT and
> returns the database assigned ID of the individual. Let's call this stored
> procedure sp_NewIndividual
>
> I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees e.g.
> address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored procedure
> sp_EmployeeInfo
>
> The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure that
> executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one sp_NewEmployee
> which looks like this:
>
> EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
> EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params
>
> This approach gives me the following advantages:
> 1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
> sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database
>
> 2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives me the
> flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my needs. For 
> example,
> if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored procedure
> sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.
>
> 3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to re-write 
> the
> same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends up
> creating a maintenance nightmare.
>
> 4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server because
> there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and factoring them
> into their own stored procedures and then calling them from another one.
>
> I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any 
> disadvantages
> that I'm not seeing?
>
> Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to reduce
> database trips?
>
> -- 
> Thanks,
>
> Sam 

0
Tom
2/19/2010 5:16:07 AM
In addition to the performance hit is the possibility that you might
make the mistake of creating a stored procedure with the same name as a
builtin system procedure ... watch the hilarity ensue when you try to
execute your procedure ...

Tom Cooper wrote:
> One thing I would add to Tom's reply is don't use sp_ as a prefix for
> stored procedure names.  If you do, there is a (small) performance
> cost every time you call that stored procedure since Microsoft uses
> that convention for it's system procedures and does special
> processing for any call to a stored procedure whose name begins with
> sp_.
>
> Tom
>
> "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and
>> its backend database that allows an object oriented design,
>> granularity and performance.
>>
>> I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish
>> these goals
>> but want to get some feedback.
>>
>> The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a
>> single database hit.
>>
>> I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people.
>> The problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients,
>> Employees, Freelancers, etc.
>>
>> Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of
>> elements. For
>> example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need
>> home address for clients but I do need it for employees.
>>
>> So the approach is this:
>> I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database
>> that has all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does
>> an INSERT and returns the database assigned ID of the individual.
>> Let's call this stored procedure sp_NewIndividual
>>
>> I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees
>> e.g. address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored
>> procedure sp_EmployeeInfo
>>
>> The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure
>> that executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one
>> sp_NewEmployee which looks like this:
>>
>> EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
>> EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params
>>
>> This approach gives me the following advantages:
>> 1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
>> sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database
>>
>> 2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives
>> me the flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my
>> needs. For example,
>> if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored
>> procedure sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.
>>
>> 3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to
>> re-write the
>> same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends
>> up creating a maintenance nightmare.
>>
>> 4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server
>> because there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
>> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and
>> factoring them into their own stored procedures and then calling
>> them from another one.
>>
>> I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any
>> disadvantages
>> that I'm not seeing?
>>
>> Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to
>> reduce database trips?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam

-- 
HTH,
Bob Barrows


0
Bob
2/19/2010 2:19:30 PM
I saw a Sybase guy use a prefix of sp__ (i.e. double underscore) when 
creating his own system procs.  This way, there was no conflict with any of 
the MS-shipped system procs.

-- 
   Tom

----------------------------------------------------
Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON   Canada
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau


"Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message 
news:u7P3O6WsKHA.4428@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
In addition to the performance hit is the possibility that you might
make the mistake of creating a stored procedure with the same name as a
builtin system procedure ... watch the hilarity ensue when you try to
execute your procedure ...

Tom Cooper wrote:
> One thing I would add to Tom's reply is don't use sp_ as a prefix for
> stored procedure names.  If you do, there is a (small) performance
> cost every time you call that stored procedure since Microsoft uses
> that convention for it's system procedures and does special
> processing for any call to a stored procedure whose name begins with
> sp_.
>
> Tom
>
> "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and
>> its backend database that allows an object oriented design,
>> granularity and performance.
>>
>> I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish
>> these goals
>> but want to get some feedback.
>>
>> The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a
>> single database hit.
>>
>> I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people.
>> The problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients,
>> Employees, Freelancers, etc.
>>
>> Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of
>> elements. For
>> example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need
>> home address for clients but I do need it for employees.
>>
>> So the approach is this:
>> I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database
>> that has all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does
>> an INSERT and returns the database assigned ID of the individual.
>> Let's call this stored procedure sp_NewIndividual
>>
>> I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees
>> e.g. address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored
>> procedure sp_EmployeeInfo
>>
>> The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure
>> that executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one
>> sp_NewEmployee which looks like this:
>>
>> EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
>> EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params
>>
>> This approach gives me the following advantages:
>> 1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
>> sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database
>>
>> 2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives
>> me the flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my
>> needs. For example,
>> if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored
>> procedure sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.
>>
>> 3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to
>> re-write the
>> same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends
>> up creating a maintenance nightmare.
>>
>> 4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server
>> because there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
>> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and
>> factoring them into their own stored procedures and then calling
>> them from another one.
>>
>> I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any
>> disadvantages
>> that I'm not seeing?
>>
>> Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to
>> reduce database trips?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam

-- 
HTH,
Bob Barrows


0
Tom
2/22/2010 12:40:58 PM
So he was content with the performance hit?

Tom Moreau wrote:
> I saw a Sybase guy use a prefix of sp__ (i.e. double underscore) when
> creating his own system procs.  This way, there was no conflict with
> any of the MS-shipped system procs.
>
> --
>    Tom
>
> ----------------------------------------------------
> Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
> SQL Server MVP
> Toronto, ON   Canada
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau
>
>
> "Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> news:u7P3O6WsKHA.4428@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> In addition to the performance hit is the possibility that you might
> make the mistake of creating a stored procedure with the same name as
> a builtin system procedure ... watch the hilarity ensue when you try
> to execute your procedure ...
>
> Tom Cooper wrote:
>> One thing I would add to Tom's reply is don't use sp_ as a prefix for
>> stored procedure names.  If you do, there is a (small) performance
>> cost every time you call that stored procedure since Microsoft uses
>> that convention for it's system procedures and does special
>> processing for any call to a stored procedure whose name begins with
>> sp_.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B36A2DB7-685D-44FA-82DA-9827C47FDF1D@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to achieve an architectural design in my application and
>>> its backend database that allows an object oriented design,
>>> granularity and performance.
>>>
>>> I recently came up with an idea that seems to help me accomplish
>>> these goals
>>> but want to get some feedback.
>>>
>>> The goal in this particular case is to take care of business with a
>>> single database hit.
>>>
>>> I was trying to come up with an architecture for registering people.
>>> The problem is there are different types of people e.g. Clients,
>>> Employees, Freelancers, etc.
>>>
>>> Each group has common elements as well as their unique set of
>>> elements. For
>>> example, each person will have First and Last Name but I do not need
>>> home address for clients but I do need it for employees.
>>>
>>> So the approach is this:
>>> I have a stored procedure for entering "people" into the database
>>> that has all the common elements in it. This stored procedure does
>>> an INSERT and returns the database assigned ID of the individual.
>>> Let's call this stored procedure sp_NewIndividual
>>>
>>> I then have another stored procedure that inserts data for employees
>>> e.g. address, social security number, etc. Let's call this stored
>>> procedure sp_EmployeeInfo
>>>
>>> The important part of this approach is the third stored procedure
>>> that executes these two stored procedures. Let's call this one
>>> sp_NewEmployee which looks like this:
>>>
>>> EXEC sp_NewIndividual @Params
>>> EXEC sp_EmployeeInfo @Params
>>>
>>> This approach gives me the following advantages:
>>> 1. Because I call one stored procedure from my application i.e.
>>> sp_NewEmployee, I have only one trip to the database
>>>
>>> 2. Because I still maintain individual stored procedures, it gives
>>> me the flexibility to call whichever SP I want depending on my
>>> needs. For example,
>>> if I'm entering only a client, I can then call the first stored
>>> procedure sp_NewIndividual if I needed to.
>>>
>>> 3. Because I'm calling other stored procedures, I don't have to
>>> re-write the
>>> same SQL statement again and again with slight variations which ends
>>> up creating a maintenance nightmare.
>>>
>>> 4. Theoretically, I don't see a performance penalty on SQL Server
>>> because there shouldn't be any difference between putting multiple
>>> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE statements in one stored procedure and
>>> factoring them into their own stored procedures and then calling
>>> them from another one.
>>>
>>> I'd love to hear some comments on this approach. Are there any
>>> disadvantages
>>> that I'm not seeing?
>>>
>>> Are there any other approaches that anyone else uses in order to
>>> reduce database trips?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sam

-- 
HTH,
Bob Barrows


0
Bob
2/22/2010 1:49:35 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

email problem with one user
Hello, I have a client using Outlook 2003 on a SBS 2003 server. The users has an exchange internal e-mail of USER1-5.MAIL.local and POP3 external e-mail USER1-5.INTERNET.COM. For most of the users the e-mail works the way it is suppose to. But one of the user sends an email to one recipient the e-mail is generated with the POP3 e-mail address but if the e-mail is created with multiple recipients for some reason the exchange internal is used. I have talked with the user and she does not do anything special when creating e-mail when it is for one person or multiple people. She does n...

Pull value from another sheet
I have multiple sheets in my workbook. On the first sheet, I am pulling data from all the other sheets for a comparison. I need to pull in a commission level for specific group numbers. Here is what I need: Sheet 1 K3 is where my formula is. I need to match the value from sheet 1 B3 to sheet 2 I4. Then, if they match, I want the value from sheet 2 N4 to show up in sheet 1 K3. Another issue may be that on sheet two there may be multiple group numbers that are the same, however all commission levels for a group number are the same. So I guess I could go average or median if tha...

Exchange 2003
I have a Win2K3 SBS with Exchange 2003. Although everything appears to be working properly, Veritas 9.1 will not backup my Information Store because it says that the database is corrupted. I have gone through the procedure using ESEUTIL to try and repair the various edb files, but the corruption is still there. I seem to remember a knowledge base article which documents how to EXMERGE the mailboxes, blow up the corrupt information store, create a new information store, and then import the EXMERGED mailboxes, but I can't seem to find it. Is there a procedure out there that will do ...

Forward to another SMTP address
We have our users in our domain XYZ.com with SMTP XYZ.com that wants their email forwarded to their other email accounts - like Yahoo, MSN, or other domains -- HOW do I setup the user's properties to do this? Thanks. Why not use OWA? Why forward to other email accounts? >-----Original Message----- >We have our users in our domain XYZ.com with SMTP XYZ.com that wants their >email forwarded to their other email accounts - like Yahoo, MSN, or other >domains -- HOW do I setup the user's properties to do this? Thanks. > > >. > "JD" <jd@mail.co...

Query to select from one table where no record in another table
I have a database where I keep various information about employees. One table "Employees" has their name and various other data. In another table "Accidents" I keep up with data relative to accidents they have had. This table has the date and other information about any accident an employee has had. I would like to recognize those employees who for a specified period of time (calendar year) have not had any accidents. I would appreciate your assistance in setting this up. Theres probably easiar ways to do it, but im not a professional. What I would do is crea...

import Exchange 2003 information stores into newly set up Exchange 2007
Exchange 2007 set up and running beautifully. But I had a previous Exchange 2003 that was running as part of SBS on a different domain that I would like to import private and public information stores into the new Exchange 2007 environment. I have the 2003 information stores copied to a backup directory on the new Exchange server. Any ideas? I thought there might be some command line utility for such. Thanks very much! Don On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:34:59 -0600, "dbj" <dbj@midsouth.rr.com> wrote: >Exchange 2007 set up and running beautifully. But I had a previou...

How do I fill down keeping one cell calculation from changing in .
If I have a calculation I want to fill down which has multiple calculations. How do I fill it down keeping one of the calculations constant. Meaning one of the calculations always uses the same cell for a calculation, it doesn't change as the cells go down. eg =SUM(A2*F13-J13) I wand to keep the A2 all the way down but want the others to change as it is filled down. Thanks, WC Look up About cell and range references in the HELP files. And try this: =SUM($A$2*F13-J13) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all...

cell +1 with one button?
HI! I need to know how to add '1' to a cell using only one button. Meaning value WAS 3 and becomes 4. Is there a way to do this? It is for live stats in a sports game, s� speed is of the essense. That is why it has to be a "1-button operation." Thanks in advance! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Attach this macro to the button: Public Sub Add1() With ActiveCell If IsEmpty(.Value) Or IsNumeric(.Value) Then _...

security setup for user class copied to another company
We have 3 companies in GP- version 9 - we have a user class set up and want to copy the security settings to the other companies. I was told it could be done through advanced security - is that correct? Do we use the import/export function? Thanks. User Classes are a system wide setting. Once you assign the user to the class, and grant the user access to a company, their security will follow them to that company. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.bl...

"The procedure entry point ??3@YAXPAX@Z could be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"
I have a executable which is built for AMD64 using the dec 2002 library msvcrt.lib but when I try to run that exe I get the error "The procedure entry point ??3@YAXPAX@Z could be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll". If I use the latest msvcrt.lib I could not link my exe. I have linker errors like error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) nt5\reswiz.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void * __cdecl opera tor new(unsigned __int64)" (??2@YAPAX_K@Z) nt5\basepage.obj : error LNK2019: ...

Formula to reference another cell in a worksheet
Column G is filled with numbers which represent Rows in my worksheet. I want Column H to equal the contents of Column A Row ? which is referenced in Column G. Example: G1 is 1043, I want H1 to be equal to A1043. What formula can I use to fill column F to do this automatically. Thank you! Heather =indirect("A" & G1) -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "HeatherJ" wrote: > Column G is filled with numbers which represent Rows in my worksheet. I want > Column H to equal the contents of Column A Row ? which is referenced in > Column G. >...

syncing mail stores between 2 Exchange 2007 servers?
We have a main location with an AD/file server running Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit. We also have an Exchange server here running Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2. We have a second location with a backup AD/file server running Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. We also have an Exchange server running Windows Server 2008 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2. The purpose of this second location is strictly to serve as a backup - if a disaster occurs, the plan would be to restore our file shares and Exchange database to these servers at our second loc...

copying worksheets to mane one document.
Hi, I am trying to organize a manual for the company I work for. I have tried copying one worksheet into another but it doesnt copy it in the format that it was, the cells size changes and is a mess to try to fix them. Let me explain better... the manual has several chapters and each chapter has several pages.... these pages were saved one by one, so what i want to do is create an excel document where a tab is a chapter. so in each tab/chapter will be several pages but I want to copy these pages with the same appearance and I cant!! Can someone help me??? Hi Look at "Past spe...

Why do some .ics go into Events Calendar not my main one?
When I use the "add to calendar" feature on some events I register for, it opens up another calendar in my outlook called "Events" and posts the name of the event at the top but I cannot open it, view it, move it, or anything. I want it to just go into my main calendar. I don't want multiple calendars. Also, ever since I moved ALL of "My Documents" off my hard drive onto an external drive, I typically have to go get a meeting request from my download folder, open it, then "save it" and it then ends up on my calendar. Is there a chang...

Copying animations from one email to another
At work, I used LOTUS NOTES. This lady and I exchange these little animated figures, icons, etc. I emailed them home and have them saved. I can see them in FULL COLOR AND ANIMATED in the original email they are stored in; however, when I try and cut and paste them into NEW messages (as I did all the time with LOTUS NOTES), I either get a RED X in a Box or something that looks like a CLIPBOARD. When I tried a test and sent a messag to myself, the animated characters were not there. Is there something I'm doing wrong? One exception: someone sent me an email this morning and when ...

Move data and configuration from one CRM installation to another
Hi! We have set up a testserver to make a pre-configuration and getting to know the procedures. The testteam are so happy with it so the continues to configure it with more real data. Is it possible to move this complete setup and configuration made on this server with CRM 3.0 and move it to another one running CRM 3.0 and delete the first instance on sever one? Or do we have to setup and type in all information again? Sincerely Not sure if you can do that but you can export all of the customizations and workflow and import them into the new build. "Ulf" wrote: > Hi! &...

Can I merge 2 Profiles files into one?
I recently changed an email account and set up a new Profile. I'm using Outlook 2003. This has caused complications and I'd like to now combine all past emails into one profile, preferably into one of the existing profiles and continue to use just that. Is this possible to do? You can either import the mail from the second pst or use File, Open, Outlook data file and move or copy it - or use two psts. Search for *.pst to locate the second file. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickSt...

One Million FR.EE Visitors #2
How To Get 1 Million Visitors On Your Web Site Without Paying A Dime In advertising ! Are you frustrated by the lack of traffic coming to your site? If I would tell you that after months of research, I just got my hands on the most hidden secrets... very sneaky tricks ! Click here : http://www.freeadguru.com/cgi-bin/i.pl?c=a&i=27202 Hurry, before the page gets banned! To become an affiliate and earn endless residual income now, click here : http://www.freeadguru.com/cgi-bin/i.pl?c=r&i=27202 --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20050420235059T4s5XoH1 ...

Pulling Specific info to transfer to another worksheet
Hello all - I am trying to do something, and not sure that it can b done.. I have a workbook with two worksheets. Sheet 1 has database info in colums, First, Last & Company. Sheet 2 has different database info i 4 columns. First, Last Company & Email. Here's what I want to do. If the first, last & company are identical in both worksheets, then want the email address from sheet 2 to go to the appropriate cell i sheet 1. Am i asking too much??? Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming you're using Columns A, B, &C, o...

Find all item codes for all items under one category
I have a list of thousands of UPCs with the category name in adjacent cells. I need to build a formula to automatically populate a list of UPCs based on the category selected in another worksheet in the workbook. The category selection is already automatically selected from data that is imported in another worksheet in the workbook. This seems like it should be very simple, but I can't find anything online that provides a simple way to do it. I only find manual ways to do it. Thanks for any help out! Kevin K If desired, send your file to my address below. I will...

linking charts to one database
I want the same chart from the same database to be linked to two different worksheets so that any changes made will transfer to both charts. ...

Sum Data From One Spreadsheet to Another
I have data in one spreadsheet as follows: Date Name Task Total Hrs Worked Qty Earned Hours 12/21/2007 AD Sort Donation Bin with Material Handling 6 8 4.6987 12/21/2007 AS Sort Donation Bin with Material Handling 8 3 1.7620 12/21/2007 AS 17" Monitor 8 168 5.6840 12/21/2007 CR Sort Donation Bin with Material Handling 6 9 5.2860 12/21/2007 LA Towers - Tear Down Only 8 40 7.1667 12/21/2007 LD Towers - Tear Down & Material Handling 8 40 7.8733 12/21/2007 TyS Sort Donation Bin with Material Handling 6 11 6.4607 12/26/2007 AD Sort Donat...

using another file for vlookup
New user Excel 2003, Windows Professional 2000. I have a file 2900 rows but just for 100 people - it repeats a name / code every entry. I want to use this file for a vlookup on another file that just has a name and extract the code. How do I reduce the 2900 rows to just 100. Hope I explained this correctly. tia data/filter/advanced filter check Unique values checkbox Copy to another location, and speficy a new location on that sheet. Use the results as your table for looking up values. HTH "dp" wrote: > New user Excel 2003, Windows Professional 2000. I have a file 290...

Using a Yes/No field to trigger a calculation in another field
> I have a billing form that was created from a query based on the table that all > these fields are from. In this billing query is where all these calculations > are happening so they can be displayed on the billing form. > > TotalTuitions is a field that exists in my main table and it is calculated > in the billing query by adding (4) other tuition type fields. > > MultiClassDisc is a field in my main table and is in the billing query. > > MultiClassTrigger is a field in my main table that works from a Yes/No combo > box. This will also...

show first few letters of a column in another cell
I know how to use left to show the first character of a particular column in another column. What I need to do is show the first seven characters. For Instance: Column A has a value of "McDonald" I want Column B to show "McDonal" Thanks. =LEFT(A1,7) if A1 is your reference cell. -- HansM "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O1l1Z7TOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I know how to use left to show the first character of a particular column >in > another column. > > What I need to do is show the first seven characters. >...