Windows SharePoint Services Search Configuration Question

Hi,

I am setting up a MOSS 2007 server farm and had a question about configuring
the Windows SharePoint Services search service. I know how to physically
configure it but I am unclear as to which server or servers in the farm that
I show configure it on.

This is our setup

Dedicated SQL Server - SQL 2005 Enterprise x64
Web Front End #1 - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64
Web Front End #2 - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64
Application Server - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64

Also a bit of background. I plan to have the query service run on the Web
Front End for redundancy, and the index service on the Application Server.

As for the Windows SharePoint Services search service, should i enabled it
on all three server or just one. and which one? One Microsoft article that i
read said not to have it enable on boxes that are not serving content. But
on the flip side technically the Application server does serve content,
since it runs the SharePoint Web service because it hosts central admin. I
also had read that its best to have the SharePoint web service running on
the app server that was it is more efficient when indexing content since it
can do it on itself instead of having to go the the Web Front End, therefore
eliminating one hop in the process.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

0
John
3/2/2010 3:17:03 PM
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The Windows Services search service becomes the Help search when functioning
in a MOSS configuration, so enabling it on your WFE's will allow it to
service your users when they click on the ? icon. The SharePoint Server
search needs to be running on all three of your servers. If you plan on
having the index server crawl itself, as you hint at in your post, you'll
need to setup a hosts file on the index server so that it will resolve the
web application URLs to itself and not go through your front ends.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"John-Rock" <jr_bilodeau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a MOSS 2007 server farm and had a question about
> configuring the Windows SharePoint Services search service. I know how to
> physically configure it but I am unclear as to which server or servers in
> the farm that I show configure it on.
>
> This is our setup
>
> Dedicated SQL Server - SQL 2005 Enterprise x64
> Web Front End #1 - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64
> Web Front End #2 - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64
> Application Server - Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Enterprise x64
>
> Also a bit of background. I plan to have the query service run on the Web
> Front End for redundancy, and the index service on the Application Server.
>
> As for the Windows SharePoint Services search service, should i enabled it
> on all three server or just one. and which one? One Microsoft article that
> i read said not to have it enable on boxes that are not serving content.
> But on the flip side technically the Application server does serve
> content, since it runs the SharePoint Web service because it hosts central
> admin. I also had read that its best to have the SharePoint web service
> running on the app server that was it is more efficient when indexing
> content since it can do it on itself instead of having to go the the Web
> Front End, therefore eliminating one hop in the process.
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Thanks

0
Daniel

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Window Redirection?

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Service Products Tracking.
We run a workshop repair service, what is the best way to track customers products, as it seems unfeasible to add products when booking an over the counter repair order in CRM. I would like to track repairs against machine manufacturer to do simple reporting like reliability against brand etc. I would recommend the following as the product you sell is a service I would create the service as the product i.e. create product Start-up costs, hourly rate, etc. To track brand reliability I would create one or more custom entities which contain the brand and maybe even their products. T...

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time

Contacts Search

Can't configure Outlook Express

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...

isinteg reports configuring tstmgr failed : ecBadVersion
we have lost our mail after NAV did it's worst. have performed eseutil /p and /d as suggested elsewhere now get error from isinteg help please Update - have now sorted this thanks ...

Search FRustration

MS Project 2007 question
Hello, I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100 are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks occur, no other tasks can occur. In other words, even though all tasks are moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall. These 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help. Mike Create two milestones. Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks th...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Combo Box initial values question
Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. thanks tp Hi Teepee, Try something like: Me.ComboBox1.ListIndex = 0 --- Regards, Norman "teepee" <teepee@noemail.com> wrote in message news:4645ed29$1@newsgate.x-privat.org... > Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? > Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. > > thanks > > tp > > thanks for trying. says 'invalid use of me keyword.&...

Hopefully Simple VBA questions
Using VBA, I want to go row-by-row and get the values from certain cell in each row so I can run some tests on them, then put the result of th tests back in certain cells. This is how I am set up so far, can you help me with my questions i CAPS below?: Sub Example() Dim i As Long, c1 As Long, c2 As Long c1 = 0 c2 = 0 For i = 1 To 120 (HOW DO I MAKE THIS DYNAMIC TO INCLUDE NEW ROW AS THEY ARE ADDED?) If Cells(i, 2).Value Then 'start flag is true (HOW DO I MAK VBA GO TO A DIFFERENT WORKSHEET WITH THE Cells(I,2).Value STATEMENT? If Cells(i, 1).Value = "E" Then c1 = c1 + 1 E...