How to change the index/indexer server back to its old name??

Our WSS search server (Search Server Express I think) thinks its
server is called X instead of Y.

Any attempt to work with the crawling rules results in an error, it
thinks the search service is offline, though search service really is
running.

Is there any way I can get the search server to know that it should
look for a server called Y instead of X??

Thank you...
0
tom12010
12/17/2009 5:20:10 PM
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_0001_8F0E7021

First I would add a host file entry or a DNS entry for the old name to get
things back up and working as a temporary measure.

The next step will depend on how out of sync the databases are. I would try
the first option first as it is the least intrusive.

1.	 Run the command stsadm -o renameserver and specify the old and new
server name.
2.	 Take a backup and do a restore after removing and re-adding the server
to the farm.

-Stephen
------=_NextPart_0001_8F0E7021

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 First I would add a host file entry or a DNS entry for the old name to get things back up and working as a temporary measure.
\par
\par The next step will depend on how out of sync the databases are. I would try the first option first as it is the least intrusive.
\par
\par 1.\tab  Run the command stsadm -o renameserver and specify the old and new server name.
\par 2.\tab  Take a backup and do a restore after removing and re-adding the server to the farm.
\par
\par -Stephen
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_8F0E7021--

0
stewood
12/17/2009 6:13:05 PM
On Dec 17, 1:13=A0pm, stew...@microsoft.com ("Stephen Woodard[MS]")
wrote:
> First I would add a host file entry or a DNS entry for the old name to ge=
> things back up and working as a temporary measure.
>
> The next step will depend on how out of sync the databases are. I would t=
ry
> the first option first as it is the least intrusive.
>
> 1. =A0 =A0 =A0 Run the command stsadm -o renameserver and specify the old=
 and new
> server name.
> 2. =A0 =A0 =A0 Take a backup and do a restore after removing and re-addin=
g the server
> to the farm.
>
> -Stephen

Actually the WSS server IS still functional -- *only* the search
service is not working -- it errors out and in search service
configuration it thinks the server is called 'testing' when it should
be called 'intranet.' So I think if I back up the whole virtual
server, then just only do the server rename I should be okay?? --
because the search service is the only part that has/thinks of the
wrong server name.

Thank you, Tom
0
tom12010

changing the xsi:type

Find in Named Range problem (2nd Try)
Hello. I'm using Excel X on a Mac (VBA5?) and attempting to write a macro which names a range of text cells I've selected, then searches the cells in that range and bolds any which contain the ">" character (as text, not as "greater than" in a formula). I'm not using conditional formatting because I also want to get rid of the > characters once the bolding is complete. In stepping through the following, I find that it does name the range and does the finding and bolding in a loop. Unfortunately it doesn't stop at the end of the range, but co...

change menu prompt dynamically
hi, I wanna change the menu prompt dynamically. how can I do that? regards. Monica.L. Hi Monica, What do mean by "menu prompt"? I'm pretty sure that a dozen of guys is ready to help ya, but you gotta be more specific ;-) Peter "monica" <mluchi@soft.fr.com> wrote in message news:1f2301c33ed5$751459d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > hi, > > I wanna change the menu prompt dynamically. > how can I do that? > > regards. > Monica.L. If you are doing it dynamically, you need to look at CFrameWnd::OnMenuSelect (ie handle WM_MENUSELECT) and WM_SETMESSA...

How do I change the color for cell selection in excel?
I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, column, or specific group of cells, Excel would highlight the group in a certain color. In Excel 2007, it simply surrounds the selected group of cells with a thick black line. I've tried going into Excel Options under Advanced but couldn't find how to do this. Can you assist me in changing this feature? On Dec 31 2007, 6:52 pm, dminliberty <dminlibe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, > column, or specific grou...

recipient policy/ not deleting old email
Hi all, I have been testing a 30 day email retention policy on exchange 2003 sp2, for Oultook 2003 inbox, sent items and deleted items folders. All test mailboxes are being processed but not all mail past the 30 day limit is being deleted. The biggest problem seems to be with removing old deleted items. We migrated email from groupwise to exchange a few months ago. Don't know if this is related. Thanks. Because of the migration, and other factors, the message dates for items might be different than you expect. Message age limit properties that are used by mailbox manag...

When I close Outlook it swaps my connection settings back from LAN
I have recently set up a wireless connection for my laptop and have changed the settings in Outlook's e-mail connection tab to "Connect using my LAN. When I close and re-open Outlook, it changes the setting back to the dial-up one . I am use two laptops that I do not use simultaneously.Grateful for any enlightenment . ...

change cell shading when a number differs from the previous number
I am generally familiar with Excel, but need some help on this particular problem. Is there a way to apply a format where: whenever the number in a column differs from the one previous to it, a cell shading color change is applied. For example, you have a column of numbers in Excel: 2 2 2 5 (cell shading color change applied) 5 5 5 2 (cell shading color change applied) 2 2 3 (cell shading color change applied) etc.... It doesn't matter what color is used, just so that it is applied whenever there is a change from the previous number. There has got to be an easy answer to this.... ...

change field number automatically when printing
We have a form in Excel, it is only one page, but we need a number on the right top corner of the sheet that changes automatically evey time we print the form Is there any way to do this Thank you You could use a Workbook BeforePrint macro that do that, assume the number is in cell G1 Range("G1").Value = Range("G1").Value + 1 like this Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Range("G1").Value = Range("G1").Value + 1 End Sub -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sponder" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Mail Merge with Attachements
Hello, I am currently trying to utilize the attached process to create a mail merge out of MS word with attachments. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MergeWithAttachments.htm I was able to finally get past the Outlook Object Library problem discussed here and the macro asks me for the table with e-mails and attachments, however, I do not receive an email warning message and after a few seconds the screens comes up with a text box that states: Microsfot Word 0 Messages have been sent. On the Directory (titled dir1) I have a table with three rows and two columns Column one:...

How can I stop format change when copying data into unlocked cells
How can I stop the format changing when I copy data into an unlocked cell in a format protected worksheet? I need to allow people to both enter data or copy data from another source into cells so I have unlocked these cells but also don't want the format of the cells to be changed. If you enter data directly the format does not change but if you copy and paste data it changes the format. I know you can use "copy paste special values" but would like to know if there is some system way of doing this. Copy/paste this into the sheet module. Right-click on sheet ...

Protect but allow changes
Hi All, I would like to protect a worksheet but allow others to change column width and format numbers. Is that possible and how do I do this? Thank you for your help. Regards It depends on what version of excel you have, when you protect the sheet check allow format cells and format columns if you have this option -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a2...

Select name from drop down and return associated value
Hi I have a spreadsheet where I need to return a value which is an alphanumerical code but the users know only the name. Example: In worksheet A there are details of clients. If the clients participate in a course we are required to record the course code not the name. Column C is where I want the value to appear. What i would like to occur is that the user selects from a drop down list the name of the course but on selection the value returned is the course code. Is this possible? Debbie Are you saying that you want the user to select from a dropdown some course name, but you wan...

How can I change the default paper size of a blank publication?
Publisher 97/98 asked for a choice to be made re paper size and measurements at setup. This allowed for European A4 to be the paper for the basic blank publication as opposed to US Letter. Is it possible to make this selection with PUblisher 2003. If so how? Do you have these settings available through your printer? If so set it up first, Publisher will follow along. You can change the page measurements to centimeters in Options, found under tools. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Paramount" <Paramoun...

NAMED Custom Number Format
Is there any way of giving a custom number format a name, so that it appears in the list of types when you bring up the custom number format dialog? We use the same format all the time (comma separated, no decimals), & I'd like to create this, call it Separated Ints (or something) and then select it from the list of names, rather than selecting custom and then scrolling through the custom list and trying to make sense of all the semicolons, quotes and other guff. tia mcalex Sounds like you are describing a "Style." Go to Format | Style... and type a new name in the &...

Installing Exchange Connector on Clustered Exchange server??
Is installing the connector on a clustered exchange server supported? The specific installation instructions for the connector will not work on a cluster because the SMTP service is a clustered service. Has anyone done this? Do we need to install another (non-clustered) Exchange box just for the connector? (Note: we really only need CRM outgoing mail. I don't believe we will be filtering all incoming or internal messages into CRM) Thanks! Not getting much response, so let me ask slightly differently... Has anyone ever TRIED installing the Exchange Connector on an Exchange Cluste...

I'm trying to change a clustered column to a stacked column
I click on clustered and the columns don't change to reflect the gradient What do you mean by "to reflect the gradient"? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "petty" <petty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58AC32B4-0445-4231-8914-6C17784782D8@microsoft.com... >I click on clustered and the columns don't change to reflect the gradient ...

Check queue on mail relay server?
Hi! I have a separate server to relay my e-mails to the outside world. The problem is that I can't see the queue on that server like you can if you have Exchange installed on it. Enviroment: Mailserver: Win2k Server with Exchange 2000 Relay: Win2k server with SMTP relay Reg J�rgen Persson Look for the Queue folder that is under the webroot I believe. there is no graphic user interface that you can view this with. You must view the folder where it is stored. this will show the e-mail in queue. if look around you can also find a bad mail folder that you might want to look at ...

Full Text Indexing Error on CRM Install
Hi I'm getting the following error during install at select SQL Server "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server." I've installed Index Service, and also went back and reinstalled the full text module in SQL Server 2000. Still getting the error. How do I fix this? Hi Have you checked the indexing service is started in services? Regards Dan "amwbgi" wrote: > Hi > > I'm getting the following error during install at select SQL Server > > "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server....

Process Performance Counter Disabled Error Message when backing up
Everytime I try to backup and/or restore an act database I get this message. Any idea how to resolve it ? Even the ACT consultants have not been able to sort it out ...

Exchange Server does not forward all mails, just sends HELO and QUIT
Hi, We have set up one account on our server (info at davos.ch) to forward all mails to davos at frogstyle.ch. Most of the times, this works as expected, but sometimes, it doesn't. The log files of Exchange Server show that the server only connects, sends an EHLO (which is blocked), then HELO, and then QUITs. When delivery succeeds, the EHLO and HELO are the same, but then followed by the MAIL, RCPT and DATA commands. I included the few lines of a failed delivery below. The setup of the two mailservers are: (Exchange Server - SonicWall) - Internet - (PIX 501 - Merak Mail Server) The Me...

Cant install Outlook back up utility
When I try to install the outlook backup utility, I keep getting the error msg." before you can install.............you must install outlook or an office program that includes Outlook". Outlook 2000 is already installed. ...

icon change in the task bar
I run Windows 7 and I have the Outlook program pinned to the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Up to a few days ago the icon for Outlook in the task bar was a yellow envelope. It has now mysteriously changed to what appears to be a generic program icon. How can I make it revert to its original icon. Thank you. You probably had a corruption in your icon cache from Windows. Unpin it and then pin it again from the Outlook shortcut that you can find in the Start Menu. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com...

How do I change the color of the Picture fill Speckles ?
I am making memorial folders and I like the picture fill (Speckles) background option. Can I change the color of the speckles and how? I have tried but I cannot figure this out. Thanks for any help, Laurie On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:30:10 +0000, lmp wrote (in article <185807CB-47F2-4C3E-B51D-E972501D49C5@microsoft.com>): > I am making memorial folders and I like the picture fill (Speckles) > background option. Can I change the color of the speckles and how? I have > tried but I cannot figure this out. Thanks for any help, Laurie You have answered your own question. It is a gif...

Continual Cannot Connect to Server errors
Outlook 2000 works fine for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, then suddenly stops connecting to the server. Closing and reopening Outlook solves the problem. I've done KB820672 and the problem isn't with the server - this actually happens with two different servers/mail accounts. Both accounts work perfectly in OE6.0 (which I also use and have open at the same time, although I don't have the same account on both). I have all the critical updates for Office, WinME, IE, etc. Thanks, ...

change source data in multiple charts
Hi I have over 30 charts where I need to change the source data and it's taking ages doing it manually, especially as each chart has 3 or 4 series. Is there an easy way of doing this, please? I've tried find and replace, but that doesn;t work Thanks We need a little more detail. 1. Are you modifying all the charts to use the same new range or does each chart use a different new range? Is the data compact, that is, if you choose the chart wizard and look at the Data Range tab does the Data Range box contain a simple reference like =Sheet1!$B$2:$E$7? Thanks, Shane "Tuxla&...