Best way to setup Sharepoint for remote sites

I have a question about SharePoint setup.  We currently have a site
setup with information at our home office however we have several
other offices and users in these offices that need to access
information from SharePoint.  Dragging that information across the
wire is slow.  I am trying to figure out what's the best way to setup
a remote SharePoint site that could either replicate data or if it was
possible just to setup a front-end SharePoint site in this location
and point the database to the one at the home site?  Which one works
adequately?  We are going to be migrating our file server to
SharePoint so everyone can access it.

Thanks
0
narcispy
1/28/2010 4:21:03 PM
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How many remote users are you talking about? Your best option might be to
have them pull the data across the wire. I know you say it is slow, but your
other options are to stand up a separate farm for those users and either try
to replicate the content or use content deployment to push it across. You
cannot place a WFE in a remote site and have it reference a SQL server some
place else. Connectivity between front ends and SQL requires 100Mbps with >1
ms latency.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"narcispy" <ernieballstingray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a question about SharePoint setup.  We currently have a site
> setup with information at our home office however we have several
> other offices and users in these offices that need to access
> information from SharePoint.  Dragging that information across the
> wire is slow.  I am trying to figure out what's the best way to setup
> a remote SharePoint site that could either replicate data or if it was
> possible just to setup a front-end SharePoint site in this location
> and point the database to the one at the home site?  Which one works
> adequately?  We are going to be migrating our file server to
> SharePoint so everyone can access it.
>
> Thanks

0
Daniel
2/1/2010 2:58:17 PM
------=_NextPart_0001_7D8BA642

Hello,

Runing SQL on a remote Server is not a good idea. There migh be timeout
issue if SQL is remote.

Read following TechNet articles which explains this pretty well.

Plan for bandwidth requirements

A key consideration in determining which of the supported deployment
solutions to implement for your Office SharePoint Server deployment is the
available network bandwidth and the latencies between your sites. Latency
is the time required for a packet to travel from one point on a network to
another. The recommendations and test results included in this guidance are
based on latency that is measured one way, not round-trip. Latency can
influence planning for geographic deployments in which data travels across
WAN links that span multiple cities, states, provinces, countries, or
continents.

When measuring the latency that affects users, use the Ping tool (ping.exe)
to measure latency from the client computer to the Web server on the server
farm. Divide the round-trip result by two. When measuring the latency
between two data centers that host servers of the same farm, use the Ping
tool to measure latency from a Web server in the remote data center to the
database server in the primary data center. Divide the round-trip result by
two.

This article includes test results based on specific bandwidth and latency
targets for the following:

Average page-load times

Estimated time to crawl content across a wide area network (WAN)

The bandwidth statistics and recommendations within this guidance are based
on test results produced in the Microsoft Technology Center (MTC) in
Austin, Texas. Microsoft customers are welcome to use any of the MTC labs
around the world or the Microsoft Enterprise Engineering Center in Redmond
to extend this testing to their own deployment scenarios. For more
information, see the following:

Microsoft Technology Centers
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=111057&clcid=0x409)

The Microsoft Enterprise Engineering Center
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108890&clcid=0x409).

Important   All test results described in this paper were generated in a
simulated environment with no customizations. These test results represent
the minimum response times that can be expected in a WAN environment.
Applying customizations, utilization of multiple services and features, and
additional networking infrastructure will increase the response times.

Other than SQL, bandwidth between your offices should be enough according
to your usages such as big documents and other files. SharePoint would
definitely server the purpose provided enough bandwidth and resources are
available for it.

Microsoft Office server system requirements
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101945391033.aspx

Sunil [MSFT]
------=_NextPart_0001_7D8BA642

{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hello,
\par
\par Runing SQL on a remote Server is not a good idea. There migh be timeout issue if SQL is remote.
\par
\par Read following TechNet articles which explains this pretty well.
\par
\par \b Plan for bandwidth requirements\b0
\par \cf1\b http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262952.aspx\cf0\b0
\par
\par A key consideration in determining which of the supported deployment solutions to implement for your Office SharePoint Server deployment is the available network bandwidth and the latencies between your sites. Latency is the time required for a packet to travel from one point on a network to another. The recommendations and test results included in this guidance are based on latency that is measured one way, not round-trip. Latency can influence planning for geographic deployments in which data travels across WAN links that span multiple cities, states, provinces, countries, or continents.
\par
\par When measuring the latency that affects users, use the Ping tool (ping.exe) to measure latency from the client computer to the Web server on the server farm. Divide the round-trip result by two. When measuring the latency between two data centers that host servers of the same farm, use the Ping tool to measure latency from a Web server in the remote data center to the database server in the primary data center. Divide the round-trip result by two.
\par
\par This article includes test results based on specific bandwidth and latency targets for the following:
\par
\par Average page-load times
\par
\par Estimated time to crawl content across a wide area network (WAN)
\par
\par The bandwidth statistics and recommendations within this guidance are based on test results produced in the Microsoft Technology Center (MTC) in Austin, Texas. Microsoft customers are welcome to use any of the MTC labs around the world or the Microsoft Enterprise Engineering Center in Redmond to extend this testing to their own deployment scenarios. For more information, see the following:
\par
\par Microsoft Technology Centers (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=111057&clcid=0x409)
\par
\par The Microsoft Enterprise Engineering Center (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108890&clcid=0x409).
\par
\par Important   All test results described in this paper were generated in a simulated environment with no customizations. These test results represent the minimum response times that can be expected in a WAN environment. Applying customizations, utilization of multiple services and features, and additional networking infrastructure will increase the response times.
\par
\par
\par Other than SQL, bandwidth between your offices should be enough according to your usages such as big documents and other files. SharePoint would definitely server the purpose provided enough bandwidth and resources are available for it.
\par
\par \b Microsoft Office server system requirements
\par \cf1 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101945391033.aspx
\par
\par \cf2\b0 Sunil [MSFT]
\par \cf0
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_7D8BA642--

0
sunily

Is there a way to send out an email at a prescheduled time? #2
Say today I have written an email to congratulate somebody for a certain future event -- such as giving baby, etc... Is there a way to time my email? Thanks a lot! View->Options->Do Not Deliver Before. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, cfman asked: | Say today I have written an email to congratulate somebody for a | certain future event -- such as giving baby, etc... |=20 | Is there a way to time my e...

Best way to enter address, body of letter, closing..Macros? Templa
In WP10, (pardon me for saying that out loud here) I was taught to make macros for doctor's addresses, basic body of letter, etc. Easy! How to do it in Word or what is "the way it should be done"? This eliminated a lot of repetitive typing of the same thing. The letters were all different (not a form letter) and the address on each letter was different from the rest (not same letter going to many different addresses). For the life of me, I am lost! Need training fast! Would like to do it the "right" way right from the start! In WP, for inst...

Remote Desktop Deployment
We have had good success deploying remote offices with Remote Desktop. The bonus here is only having to update the server, not a bunch of individual workstations. Also saved quite a bit of time on the installs (RDP rather than full blown GP install). Any reason not to deploy an installation entirely with RDP regardless of location? The only downside we see at this point is the additional $100 for the RDP license. Easily eaten up in installation time, plus can be passed to the client. -- Doug T I've seen good success with RDP too but since you asked about the downsides, - Th...

CheckFree Service Setup in M2004
I already have an account with CheckFree. When I input my User ID and Password for the account, I get a message saying the information is incorrect. I can login at the MyCheckFree.com site using the User ID & Password. Why can't M2004 make the connection? Any help would be appreciated. ...

Copy setup and master on GP 9.0
Does any one know how to copy all setup and master tables from the existing company to a new company? The GP version is 9.0 and SQL Server is 2005. I found following KB article, but it is for GP 8.0 https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;872709 Thanks, Hiroshi ------=_NextPart_0001_55418947 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hiroshi, You are correct. KB article 872709 "How to copy setup tables from one company to another in Great Plains" will work. It works for both 8.0 and 9.0. If you need help on how to copy tables, there...

Item
We would like Great Plains to have the ability to have different costs (standard and current) for items at each location where the item exists. We currently have several warehouses in different countries and parts of the world. The cost of our items vary greatly at each warehouse, due to transportation costs, dutys, etc. Currently Great Plains only stores the cost at the item level. It is impossible to have an accurate picture of our sales margin on items with only one cost per item. We have tried to go around this by creating multiple item numbers, each with different costs. But t...

SFO "Serious issue" on remote PC's
We have just completed the admin install to a server and then the installation CRM on a machine in one interstate office. Since the machine had never had CRM on it before, we were able to skip the parts relating to DLL refresh and CRM uninstall. The installation itself seemed to go smoothly, but when we first fired up Outlook as the user, it was frozen partially open, and we had to End Task. On starting it again I got the familiar message about Outlook experiencing a serious issue and got asked if I wanted to disable the CRM add-in. This is the same as what happened in one interstate office an...

On a Mac, how do you highlight an entire word or line the way you do on a pc?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) On a Mac, how do you highlight an entire word or line the way you do on a pc? I don't remember how to do it in Windows, and I can't say it is possible to do it on a Mac like you do in Windows (PC). On a Mac, double click on the word. Get the line with a triple click. Google on "mac keyboard shortcuts" to get http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 for a lot more. --rms www.rmschneider.com wandermike@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...

Forcing Remote Delivery for an SMTP Domain
I used to manage the email of several email domains. One of the domains move from my building and I no longer provide email support through my Exchange server. I have removed the proxy address for that domain from all accounts on my Active Directory server and removed the proxy address in the recipient policy. The problem is that any emails sent from a local user to that domain is still being queued for local delivery. I want the emails to now use remote delivery and to be sent to that domain's new email server. When I send an email to that domain, I get an immediate NDR report saying...

How Can A User Get NDR from PostMaster With Our Setup?
Exc 2003 as smtp only - we are using a spam filtering company and have firewall set to only accept emails from them - they are our mx. This company also filters viruses, attachments, etc. A user is getting an NDR that appears to be from Postmaster@ourdomain. It's being returned because of an attachment violation (it's a PIF file). The email address is not her normal one, but one of a group (jobp). This email address is being spoofed but how can she get emails from our Postmaster? I don't understand that. Her system has not been breached, she has AV on her desktop (it's ...

Best Backup program
Have just bought a 750GB Maxstor external hard drive to back up my current system running XP MCE SP3, which contains about 230GB of system files and data. The latter is mostly MP3 files and some TV recordings. While the software that came with the drive is backing up data on an incremental basis would like to take a system snapshot on a regular basis to be able to reinstall a working system should I have a hardware major failure, my previous hard drive just stopped working. Would appreciate any views on the best "backup" package available and any pros cons. TIA ...

Office Setup Assistant doesn't go past the Product Key page
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I installed Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac with one of the ten product keys I had. Later, I found out that the product key I chose was already in use. I was prompted by a help page to delete two files: one from Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office (it started with the letters Office), the other from Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008. Then I was prompted to restart my computer and start up any of the Microsoft Office 2008 programs. I was told that Microsoft Setup Assistant would start up, and it...

Account Setup Outlook 2002
Do multiple accounts have to be in any order to send and receive all of them? (Does the pop accounts have to be inputed before the IMAP and HTTP accounts?) What would cause Outlook to eliminate the "send" button in the standard toolbar while composing a new message? Thanks in Advance! Chris 1. No 2. Right click on the toolbar, select Customize, then Reset from the toolbars tab. If this does not work, close Outlook, find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, al...

How do I setup Publisher 07 to print 4 post card fronts on one She
I'm setting up post card marketing campaign using Avery 8387 Template paper. In the software App the preview shows four fronts and four rears as I want them. But when I print, it prints everything on one page. (front & Back) How do I get it to print four fronts on one page and four backs on another. Are you inserting a page? Are you selecting the 8387 Avery template in the page setup? If you select the Avery template, inserting a second page should work when you print. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Marcos61" <Marcos61@discussions.microsoft...

Remote undelete?
Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent installed/running on that remote computer? "mynick" <anglomont@yahoo.com> said this in news item news:e1814b36-2498-494b-b410-033fe8726fda@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com... > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent > installed/running on that remote computer? I know of two options to delete a remote file: a) By deleting ...

How do I setup a recovery server and do the recovery?
How do I setup he recovery server? I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that and restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run integrity tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a stand alone server. Thanks. Are you trying to rebuild a server to get it back online? Or are you trying to restore a database to get some data out of it. If you are trying to restore a database, try restoring to a recovery storage group. If you are just doing test restorations or testing D/R procedures, you do NOT want to put the...

Excel 2003 & Sharepoint
Hi all, I have a user that has Excel 2003 installed on her system. My company is using SharePoint as a Doucment Control Center for all of our company's documents. I have one user that I am having a really hard time diagnosing. One of my users can open spreadsheets if they are checked in and in a approved status. If the spreadsheet is checked out or has not been approved, then the document does not open. She sees the Edit with Microsoft Excel choice, but when she selects it, Internet Explorer just refreshes and Excel does not launch. I have seen the same behavior with Word docu...

Easy way to calculate free days in Outlook Calander
We are a small 10 user compnay using Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 (SBS). We use a public calander to book our appointments which then get put in to our personal calander by Exchange. Question is this, is there an easy way to determine how many days a partiular user has free in a particular month without having to count the days in the diary? The information needs to be realtime or at least have a "Refresh" option. Can this be done using Excel or SQL reporting. Any pointers in the right direction (web articles??) would be much appreciated. Thanks, AS Yes, use this script it will qu...

Setting up a virtual SMTP Server at a different Site
I have an exchange server in site1 and would like to setup a virtual smtp server in IIS 6, at site2 to send customer emails instead of travelling over a T1 to site1 in order to get sent. I am not entirely sure how to set this up. Also not sure how to setup and configure dns, reverse dns lookups in the virtual smtp server. Any help or useful documentation on how to accomplish this would be great. -Mike How will you send/submit email to IIS? If it's through Outlook client, it will be submitted to your Exchange server which will send the outbound mail. If you intend to use some progra...

Way to change the DATE for multiple sales orders at once?
Often our sales order agents "get ahead" of our shipping department, and have orders typed with today's date that are not going to be shipped until tomorrow. We like to have the Order Date be the same as the day the order was actually shipped... so currrently our sales agents must edit each order one at a time to change the date. Is there a way to "globally" change the Order Date for multiple (unposted) sales orders? If not within GP... how about a SQL query that I could run in Query Analyzer? Thanks in advance... ...

How do I setup HTTP over RPC
It is my understanding that my remote employees can use outlook 2003 to access our exchange server instead of owa. Is there an article explaining what to do. Thanks in advance http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402731033.aspx "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95EB6C42-4E5B-474D-B759-F82C19520921@microsoft.com... > It is my understanding that my remote employees can use outlook 2003 to > access our exchange server instead of owa. Is there an article explaining > what to do. Thanks in advance http:/...

Best Practice Value list or linked table?
I am beginning to wonder if i overcomplicate my database. i am going to add a field to my T_partnumbers for unit of measure (UOM) and can not decide if i should do it like i have in the past and use a combo (on my forms of course) with a row source to a T_UOM with Ea, LB, OZ, Ft Ect. and store the UOMid in my part numbers table or just use a value list in my combo and save the actual UOM abbreviation in my P/N table. What is a good determining factor for which method to use? And What to store in my table LB, OZ, EA, ect. or their respective ID's? I feel linked tables for...

Batch for setup /Domainprep
Is there any way to run setup /domainprep silently or as a scheduled job If so does that include making it skip the warning about "this has been identified as an insecure domain..." Many thanks On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:54:39 -0500, "Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there any way to run setup /domainprep silently or as a scheduled job > >If so does that include making it skip the warning about "this has been >identified as an insecure domain..." > >Many thanks > What on earth for? Domainprep creates a few groups and ...

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable
Currently running Microsoft CRM 1.2. Throughout the day, several users report receiving the following message: Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable They receive this when typing in http://<servername>. This is how it is normally accessed internally. However if they try to access it from our external site it goes right in. Restarting the user's PC usually resolves the issue. Couple of questions: 1) What is causing the problem? 2) How do I go about resolving it? Any help would be appreciated. Sounds like you may have DNS issues. Try flushing the cache on the CRM server an...

MultiCurrency Setup #2
created an exchange rate table HKD TO CNY. I'm stuck on #7, HKD TO CNY not available from the Exchange Table window screen. Here's what I have done so far. 1. Setup currencies (setup-system-currency) 2. Assign company access to currencies (setup-system-multicurrency access) 3. Setup exchange rate tables (setup-system-exchange table) 4. Assign exchange rates (cards-system-exchange table) 5. Assign company access to exchange rates (setup-system-multicurrency) 6. Set Multicurrency defaults to a company (setup-financial-multicurrency) 7. Assign rate type to rate tables (setup-financial-...