"Unknown error" in Site Collection List

I am upgrading a v2 to v3 site collection on a new W2K8 server. After running
stsadm to upgrade & attach the content db shows 1 site.

When I go to Site Collection List it says "Unknown Error" ... no site
listed. Same for Site Collection Administrators.

The site itself responds that I don't have credentials to access it.

Anyone have an idea what might be happening?

Thanks,

Stephen
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_0001_869141E9

Hi Stephan,

How exactly are you doing upgrade, Inplace, gradual or content DB migration?

If the site is not comming up only on the Server then check  following
articles.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971382

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

If the site works fine on client machine then make sure you have proper
permission on Content Database.
Check the prescan.log file for errors.
Check SharePoint ULS logs from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS

Enable CallStack and Disable CustomErrors

Locate the web.config file for the web application in question and change
following tags as below:

	Search for a tag customErrors and set its value to "Off".
			<customErrors mode="Off" />
	�
	Search for a tag CallStack and set its value to "true".
		<SafeMode MaxControls="50" CallStack="false" />
�

How to get the right set of logs

IF you tried gradual upgrade then use old backup of V2 database named SITES
and attach it to another V3 farm running on same build version, then bring
the database over.

Sunil [MSFT]
------=_NextPart_0001_869141E9

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hi Stephan,
\par
\par How exactly are you doing upgrade, Inplace, gradual or content DB migration?
\par
\par If the site is not comming up only on the Server then check  following articles.
\par
\par http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971382
\par
\par http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861
\par
\par If the site works fine on client machine then make sure you have proper permission on Content Database.
\par Check the prescan.log file for errors.
\par Check SharePoint ULS logs from C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\web server extensions\\12\\LOGS
\par
\par Enable CallStack and Disable CustomErrors
\par ===========================================
\par
\par Locate the web.config file for the web application in question and change following tags as below:
\par
\par \tab Search for a tag customErrors and set its value to "Off".
\par \tab\tab\tab <customErrors mode="Off" />
\par \tab\~
\par \tab Search for a tag CallStack and set its value to "true".
\par \tab\tab <SafeMode MaxControls="50" CallStack="false" />
\par \~
\par
\par How to get the right set of logs
\par ===========================================
\par
\par IF you tried gradual upgrade then use old backup of V2 database named SITES and attach it to another V3 farm running on same build version, then bring the database over.
\par
\par Sunil [MSFT]
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_869141E9--

0
sunily

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...

elunknown error
on first look the windows live mail seems like a very nice email application, however the "unknown error " that prevents me from deleting junk and having it disappearor becomming stuck as a permenant outbox item is becomming enough of an agravation that i will soon return to outlook or even thunderbird. I have followed instructions to work offline and configure advanced settings in tools to work around this, but i do not wish to do this daily. Is there a permenant fix for this? thanks "Elijah" <Elijah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Publisher and Hotmail Account??? An unknown error has occurred.
I am in a trouble. I was OK to use the publisher to send an article through Hotmail server. But I started to receive this error message below and cannot send it... Anybody any ideas... An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005 See if this archive Google groups article helps. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress/msg/e4b62ea2335f7ad0?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
Hi, When printing another user's calendar, when printing the daily calendar, we get the message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook". Does not happen if printing the other user's weekly or monthly calendar. This is in Outlook 2003 and has all the latest updates. Any suggestions? ...

Unknown error during restore of database
I get a "unknown error" during database restore from within GP 10. I am using sql express and the database and the program are on the same machine. Both sql and gp is on e: drive. I have no issues backing up the databases. I am logged remotely to the computer via "gotomy pc" type program. (it is not a terminal server session) According to MS KB the recovery mode for the database should be simple - which it is. Any suggestions? Thanks You may receive this error if the database being restored exceeds 4GB in size. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Max...

Unknown error in Outlook 2000 Pro
I get this error message when I deleted an item from outlook, meaning message, contacts, etc. I used the repair stuff, I reinstalled, no action seem to work. Any idear? "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook" Hi Larry, To troubleshoot the error message you are receiving, please refer to Knowledge Base article ID: 283175.KB.EN-US, OL2000: (CW) Messaging Interface Returns an Unknown Error. You can access this article by clicking on the link below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;283175 Rega...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error w/outlook200
I have been using outlook 2003 for more than a year with Bellsouth as my mail. Today I downloaded the new messenger and Outlook Connector so that I can syn hotmail into Outlook. When finished and restarted many times, I still get a error message in Outlook when ever I try to compose, reply, forward, etc. this is what is get "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error". I have tried to reinstall outlook twice and the repair option in the control panle under add/remove programs. How do I fix this without uninstalling all of MS office and reinstalling? ...

Unknown Error #3
If I maximize an email by dbl clicking, click the reply button and then go to close the window..either by using the drop down menu under file or clicking on the "x" I get an Unkown Error message and Outlook shuts down completely. I don't have this problem if I use the "reply" button on the tool bar!! I have used the Office 2000 disk to re-install/fix errors to no avail. I am running Win ME. HELP. ...

messaging interface / unknown error
I began receiving "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error." today, during the normal course of using my system (no start up, new software, et cetera). I have scoured my books, websites, MS.com. No dice. I uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook 2003 twice. Renamed outcmd and .srs. The only obvious problem at the moment is I can not delete items from the Inbox without holding down the shift key. When I go to Deleted Items, it is "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location." Any thoughts? Thanks, Wi...

login unknown error
All of sudden, all existing users are unable to log in to SQL 7 running on NT with sp 6 through Great Plain 5.5. except sa account. everything has been running fine for years. server was rebooted, SQL sp updated, tested from different Great Plain workstations, same error "login failed becaused of an unknown error". creating a new test account from Great Plain got the same error. Anybody helps? it's really urgent. appreciate it. Jeff Did you run sql script Grant70.sql over Dynamics and each company db? Takashi "jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> e...

Unknown Error #5
Task 'Hotmail - Sending' reported error (0x800CCCF4) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCCF4 Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCCF4) : 'An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing work and restart the program' This stopped happening when I separately (1) added a ICMP rule to my firewall and (2) turned off antivirus services running, but only briefly. I have followed all KB instructions without avail. I am running Windows 2000 Pro SP3 and Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703). Hotmail works fine via Internet Explorer and initially it...

Unknown Error While Synchronizing Data To Outlook
One of my end users receives an unknown error message on her laptop when attempting to synchronize contacts to Outlook. She has not synchronized with this laptop in a couple of months. She takes it on the road with her on sales calls and thought she would try and synchronize CRM now. Ordinarily she works in CRM from a desktop unit. When attempting to Synchronize, it reports that it has 4450 Contacts to Synchronize. It then brings up the Synchronization Status Bar and then a few minutes later reports a message, "An Unknown Error Occurred While Synchronizing Data To Outlook&qu...

unknown error (-3211) occurred

workflow
Dear All, I have configured GP10 workflow for PO approval. Approver is able to see an e-mail in his outlook. He wanted to see PO details before clicking edit task for approve. He clicked on PO Number hyperlink. It gives him the below error: "The application encountered an unhandled system exception. Contact your system administrator for details." sometimes "Unknown error" Does any one faced the same issues as above? I appreciate your ideas to resolve the issue. Thanks and regards, Vijay could be anything. you'd have to check the server event logs to see what...

The messaging Interface has returned an unknown error #4
I have just experienced this problem. I am in a Exchange 2003 environment and a couple of users downloaded the Google Desktop. This installation was a direct result of this error. ...

'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook'
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

Microsoft Store Operations POS: Attempt to process COM object 'ObjectName' failed. An unknown error ocurred.
I have a program that gets executed in POS. Occasionally POS closes that program in the midle of execution; after trying to restart it the error message shows "Attempt to process COM object 'ObjectName' failed. An unknown error occurred." I am invoking this program from Custom POS Button. Here is entry code. The exception below is never executed. namespace FrameWiz { [ComVisible(true)] public class Startup { public bool Process(object argSession) { FrameWizShell frameWizShell = null; Session mySession = null; try { //mine ...

The messaging Service has returned an unknown error
I recently installed and uninstalled (and installed again) an AV program and since I have been unable to open most messages. I get a "Can't open this item" message if I double-click, and a "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error" message if I right-click and choose Open. I have since run a repair, uninstall and reinstall, and applied SP3, all with no luck. The puzzling thing is, I can open external e-mails fine sometimes, sometimes not, and all contacts, notes and appointments work fine. We run on Exchange 2000, and my laptop is W2K with Office ...

unknown error 12029
Hi NG, I want to secure access to OWA as much as possible and implemented SSL encryption on another port as 443. This works fine, Url can be accessed with https://servername/port/website/account BUT If i try to access on the folder list, i get the question: "This site will use information from other data. This could be a security problem. Do you want to continue? I say yes and get the error 12029. Now i accept the error with OK and get immediately after this access to my folders. What can I do against this error? Thanks in advance, Birte Birte, Make sure that you have set all the d...

Unknown Error 646
I have 10 updates that Windows Update is prompting to install at shutdown that are not installing. I receive an unknown error, 646. I followed instructions found in the forum to install the updates individually and find these updates have already been installed. How do I get these updates cleared off my automatic updates?? The machine is running Windows 7. I have ran the windows update troubleshooter and it did not find any issues. Please advise. Thank you. I wanted to add that it seems to only be affecting the Office 2007 updates "patti" wrote: >...

Retryable VSS error. ID 30112 Details: Unknown error (0x800423f3)(ox800423F3)
I consistently get this error trying to backup a single Virtual Server 2005 R2 VM, while other guests on the same host work fine. The problem started when I shut down the VM, compressed the partitions on each of the two VHD files comprising the machine, and then copied the partitions into new VHD files that replaced the original VHD files. After a good deal of experimentation, I am sure the root of the problem is moving the partitions into new VHD files. VS2K5 runs the VM just fine, but DPM 2007 consistently chokes. I'm thinking DPM is storing some identity information ab...

unknown error #2
I've had several reported cases on an error response of "unknown error" when trying to delete a e-mail. This error is received when trying to delete from Outlook 2000 or web outlook. I use an exchange 2000 server. Any clue? ...

An unknown error has occurred
Delete file full; I expect an answer when I click get help to tell me how to fix it not the same questions I have from 2007. Why wont the delete file empty?\ Just fix it It would be helpful if you explained your issues in a more descriptive and understandable fashion. See if this helps: www.oehelp.com/WMUTil/ and make sure you have the latest version of Vista. steve "Karen D" <KarenD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79C36226-60B0-4527-BD96-B037F1C9D459@microsoft.com... > Delete file full; I expect an answer when I click get help ...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" #2
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

Installation of CRM Server result in Unknown Error 80040E31
I am attempting to install a evaluation copy of CRM server on windows 2003 and database server is SQL 2000 SP3 on windows 2003. A new domain was created on a single server. Installation goes fine for a long amount of time then at the very end I get the following error.... I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times!!! Please help Here is the error Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM SErve Setup was unable to provision your organizatio Setup was unable to create the root busines Unknown Error 80040E3 Before re-installing, I have removed the crm database files from the SQL 2000 server a...