MS Access and SharePoint

Is MS SharePoint a substitute for creating rational databases MS Access.

Hello Jody,

Absolutely not. I assume "rational" means "relational". In fact, there is
not much "relational" about SharePoint anyway, please refer to http://www.lcbridge.nl/vision/2008/transactions.htm
for more info about that. However, Access 2007 allows you, under restrictions,
to publish databases to SharePoint 2007, and SharePoint 2010 includes Access
Services, which allows you to create web applications in Access 2010 and
publish them to a SharePoint 2010 site.

Kind regards,
Margriet Bruggeman
Lois & Clark IT Services

web site: http://www.lcbridge.nl
blog: http://www.lcbridge.nl/rss/spptrss.xml

JJ> Is MS SharePoint a substitute for creating rational databases MS
JJ> Access.

0
Margriet
4/20/2010 2:06:39 PM
Thanks for the info. My Dept Director wants to migrate the 21 MS Access
databases that I control to SharePoint. I do not think this is a good idea,
so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to show that fact. Any
other info/articles you have would be helpful. Thanks.

"Margriet Bruggeman" wrote:

> Hello Jody,
>
> Absolutely not. I assume "rational" means "relational". In fact, there is
> not much "relational" about SharePoint anyway, please refer to http://www.lcbridge.nl/vision/2008/transactions.htm
> for more info about that. However, Access 2007 allows you, under restrictions,
> to publish databases to SharePoint 2007, and SharePoint 2010 includes Access
> Services, which allows you to create web applications in Access 2010 and
> publish them to a SharePoint 2010 site.
>
> Kind regards,
> Margriet Bruggeman
> Lois & Clark IT Services
>
> web site: http://www.lcbridge.nl
> blog: http://www.lcbridge.nl/rss/spptrss.xml
>
> JJ> Is MS SharePoint a substitute for creating rational databases MS
> JJ> Access.
> JJ>
>

> .

It may well be a good idea if your 21 tables are simple tables, or you
can put the tables in SP that require collaboration by many people.

I use Access and SP all the time.  It just has to be done with care and
with full knowledge and experience of both.

*WHY* does your Dept Direct want to do this?  Listen to his/her needs.
It just might be a good idea.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 20/04/10 16:20, Jody Jenkins wrote:
> Thanks for the info. My Dept Director wants to migrate the 21 MS Access
> databases that I control to SharePoint. I do not think this is a good idea,
> so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to show that fact. Any
> other info/articles you have would be helpful. Thanks.
>
> "Margriet Bruggeman" wrote:
>
>> Hello Jody,
>>
>> Absolutely not. I assume "rational" means "relational". In fact, there is
>> not much "relational" about SharePoint anyway, please refer to http://www.lcbridge.nl/vision/2008/transactions.htm
>> for more info about that. However, Access 2007 allows you, under restrictions,
>> to publish databases to SharePoint 2007, and SharePoint 2010 includes Access
>> Services, which allows you to create web applications in Access 2010 and
>> publish them to a SharePoint 2010 site.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Margriet Bruggeman
>> Lois&  Clark IT Services
>>
>> web site: http://www.lcbridge.nl
>> blog: http://www.lcbridge.nl/rss/spptrss.xml
>>
>> JJ>  Is MS SharePoint a substitute for creating rational databases MS
>> JJ>  Access.
>> JJ>
>>

>> .

0
Rob
4/20/2010 4:54:02 PM
I know I'm going to get slammed for this but... Access isn't a relational
database either. SQL, on the other hand is.

"Rob Schneider" <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote in message
> It may well be a good idea if your 21 tables are simple tables, or you can
> put the tables in SP that require collaboration by many people.
>
> I use Access and SP all the time.  It just has to be done with care and
> with full knowledge and experience of both.
>
> *WHY* does your Dept Direct want to do this?  Listen to his/her needs. It
> just might be a good idea.
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
>

> On 20/04/10 16:20, Jody Jenkins wrote:
>> Thanks for the info. My Dept Director wants to migrate the 21 MS Access
>> databases that I control to SharePoint. I do not think this is a good
>> idea,
>> so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to show that fact. Any
>> other info/articles you have would be helpful. Thanks.
>>
>> "Margriet Bruggeman" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Jody,
>>>
>>> Absolutely not. I assume "rational" means "relational". In fact, there
>>> is
>>> not much "relational" about SharePoint anyway, please refer to
>>> http://www.lcbridge.nl/vision/2008/transactions.htm
>>> for more info about that. However, Access 2007 allows you, under
>>> restrictions,
>>> to publish databases to SharePoint 2007, and SharePoint 2010 includes
>>> Access
>>> Services, which allows you to create web applications in Access 2010 and
>>> publish them to a SharePoint 2010 site.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Margriet Bruggeman
>>> Lois&  Clark IT Services
>>>
>>> web site: http://www.lcbridge.nl
>>> blog: http://www.lcbridge.nl/rss/spptrss.xml

>>> .

0
Daniel
4/22/2010 4:05:44 AM
Sort of agree, I think. But "SQL" is "Structured Query Language" so how
can it be a database? Yes, the language allows one to construct
relational commands for the database/server to execute. And indeed a
version of SQL is in Access.

But I stopped thinking about such esoteric things many years ago. My
eyes glazed over when there were arguments by gurus and technologists
whether relational databases or hierarchical databases were the future.
This was in an era when the products in both camps were so primitive
compared to what we have at our fingertips now.

SharePoint, supplemented by Access, is a way my clients and me can
create great productivity and profitability with some valuable business
processes faciliated and made possible by the technology.  In the world
most my clients live in it is typically impossible for them to get
Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or MySQL, or whatever into production use.
  Heck, I'd rather use MySQL, Python and Django which is really
fantastic--but most corporates in my world won't touch and prefer the
"safety" of Microsoft desktop products. So we go with the flow and help
them with their real business issues, which is not computing, and since
the Microsoft stuff works pretty well and are indeed world class, we can
achieve that.

To the OP, my message is "Just because one can have the argument about
whether something is 'relational' or not, that in itself is not a valid
argument about whether this technology is fit for purpose. Find out more
from the boss what is wanted. It could be they are seeking productivity
and profitability."

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 23/04/10 07:01, Daniel A. Galant wrote:
> I know I'm going to get slammed for this but... Access isn't a
> relational database either. SQL, on the other hand is.
>
> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote in
> message news:O4SoVoK4KHA.4644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> It may well be a good idea if your 21 tables are simple tables, or you
>> can put the tables in SP that require collaboration by many people.
>>
>> I use Access and SP all the time. It just has to be done with care and
>> with full knowledge and experience of both.
>>
>> *WHY* does your Dept Direct want to do this? Listen to his/her needs.
>> It just might be a good idea.
>>

>> --rms
>>
>> www.rmschneider.com
>>

>> On 20/04/10 16:20, Jody Jenkins wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info. My Dept Director wants to migrate the 21 MS Access
>>> databases that I control to SharePoint. I do not think this is a good
>>> idea,
>>> so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to show that fact. Any
>>> other info/articles you have would be helpful. Thanks.

0
Rob

Query--using Access 2007
I have a tblAddress table with a lookup field called TypeofAddressID. A company may have many addresses with different TypeofAddressID—such as 1 = Business, 2 = Mailstop, 3 = PO Box, and so on. I need to pull out TypeofAddressID # 1. Then if a 1 is not available, give me the type that is (which may be the PO address or Mailstop). I tried DLookup, Xor, and IIf([TypeofAddressID]=1, 1, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=2, 2, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=3, 3, 4))), but it is listing all addresses per company instead of either or. Any suggestions? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster....

synchronization of MS CRM with OUTLOOK
i created many users on MS CRM and i did the synchronization of MS CRM with OUTLOOK for each client but the problem i am facing is whenever i create a CONTACT in outlook,it is visible in MS CRM also but when i am creating a CONTACT in MS CRM then IT IS NOT REFLECTED IN OUTLOOK. i tried a solution for this that synchronization option in tools menu but then also it is giving the error like the user does not have proper privileges. kindly help me for the same. thanks bharat 25 Hi, Review the security settings for contact. This isn't the offline sync, but the CRM-Outlook sync we're...

Linking Ecel to Access
I am trying to transfer informtion in one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I have a macro to process this information from the first sheet to the second. I keep getting an error in this Process macro at the line. Application.Goto REFERENCE:=Range("END") The first sheet is called ProblemSheet and the second sheet is called Processed. The line above is taken from the process macro on the ProblemSheet page. Do I have to name a certain cell as "END" on either sheet? Any help with this would be really appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com...

Want to Buy MS Money Plus Deluxe, yes Money 2008 (US)
Hi all, I have downloaded the 60day trial version of Money 2008 (US). And I'd like to buy the full version BY ALL MEANS. Nevermind, I live in Germany and I'm not a US Citizen. Don't want to know, if there is a German version. I want the US version because I need it in English. Nevermind, I'm aware of what I'll be missing (No online banking. No support that comes with the license; Tax and capital gains advice won't be useful to me as a non-US Resident). Why can't I purchase it all the same? I have tried here: http://www.microsoft.com/money/order.aspx Anyone...

Outlook Web Access saving messages
Is there a way to save or archive messages in OWA2003 to the local PC? -- Non-tech lost in cyberspace Pappy_Dog pappy_dog <pappy_dog@lycos.com> wrote: > Is there a way to save or archive messages in OWA2003 to the local PC? Other than cut/paste from within the browser window to a Windows file, no. OWA is simply a window into your Exchange server and has no knowledge of your local machine. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook: I keep getting MS Word appearing interrupting work
Hi, Have installed outlook 2007 standard, all ok. Except, Outlook uses MS Word as it's email editor, which I like. But there appears on my system a MS Word 'frame' which seriously gets in the way of working. sometimes it appears behind outlook and blocks the background, sometimes it i selected instead of outlook and so I cannot select anything in outlook without re-focussing on outlook. It's highly annoying. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? I still want to use word as my email editor, but don't want the ghost frame that it creates...... Thanks. Hugh. Outl...

MS Direct Push and Blackberry Enterprise Server conflicts?
We have the Blackberry Enterprise Server for our stable of Blackberries and 2 Treo 700w's that receive mail via MS direct push. One of our BB users is evaluating a Treo - and both units are being used simultaneously to access the same mailbox on our Exchange server. The BB and Treo user is complaining that some mail to him is getting delayed or lost. Is there a known issue with running both a Treo with MS Direct Push AND a Blackberry using BES that may cause the Exchange server to lose or delay e-mail? He seems to be the only one having these problems. We're running Exchange 200...

Importing an Access Database into Excel
I was trying to find out if there is a downloadable add-in for Excel that will give you Microsoft query capability. I hace Excel 2000 but I cannot open an Access file due to not having the 2002 version. I was told that I needed to go through the process of 1) hitting Import External Data then 2) Clicking new Database Query. I then get the message that I must first install the optional Microsoft Query. How can I download/install this optional Microsoft Query? Thanks for any help! Jeff Tarlton --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Jeff It's part of what you already have....

Access 2003 query help please
Hello, I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with a database that is imported using XML from an online database. Unfortunately the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need to generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record may contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing address. If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used, otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be us...

Access 2002 to SQL Server 2000
I'm trying to upgrade an Access 2002 database to SQL server 2000 using the Access Upgrade Wizard. First I moved the database to another computer that has Access 2003, and from there used the upgrade wizard The wizard upgrads 6 or 7 out of 8 tables, but it always skips one or two tables. If I try to import the mdb table into the new ADP I get an error message "overflow" Any idea why the wizard keeps skipping these two tables? The report at the end of the upgrade does not say why the tables were skipped. Thanks for your help! Joe PS, Microsoft rocks!!! > The report a...

How to display interested Access's fields on the screen or print it out.
I have create many tables in Access database, and I want to print al fields in each table with some interested attributes such as fiel width, field type, field comments, etc for browsing . Although Acces supports this details in the window properties, but It shows only field per page that not convenient -- SanguanKPosted from - http://www.officehelp.i "SanguanK" <SanguanK.1wfmj1@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote in message news:SanguanK.1wfmj1@NoSpamPleaze.com... > > I have create many tables in Access database, and I want to print all > fields in each table with some inte...

Access question. SQL Server snobs need not reply
Hi I seem to be in a Catch 22 here. I Have a Combo box from which the user selects a description. Then I am using a query to get the rest of the COURSE details. The current record, from the table ATTEND is linked to the Table COURSE by the field COURSE_NO. If I try to set Me! COURSE to rs!COURSE_NO before doing the SaveRecord, it won't let me. I get error 3331 To make changes to this field, first save the record. If I try doing the SaveRecord first, as here, I get error 3101 The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find a record in the table 'COURSES' with key matching field(s) &#...

MS Forms 2.0 Image Control Fails
A Forms 2.0 Image control bitmap that appears in the MFC dialog editor does not display when the application runs. This application was moved from VS 6 to VS 2003. The property settings and ID are the same in the VS 2003 version and the VS 6 version. The VS 6 version works fine. I also have a new dialog in VS2003 in which the control works correctly. All settings in this dialog have been checked against the non-working dialog. The control has been removed and reinserted in the non-working dialog. Why would it appear in the dialog editor and not when run? The control is fm20.dl...

MS Pub 2003 versus Pub 2000 and 97
I have both Pub 2000 and 97 installed on my machine running Win XP Home and MS Word 2000. For my purposes (using numerous endnotes and both English and Cyrillic fonts) I prefer Pub 97. May someone tell me if there is any advantage of installing and using Pub 2003? -------------- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET Hi ilyaz (ilyaz@earthlink.net), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have both Pub 2000 and 97 installed on my machine running Win XP || Home and MS Word 2000. For my purposes (using numerous endnotes and || both English and Cyrillic fonts) I prefer Pub 97. May ...

Convert Access File to exe?
This is likely a dumb question but I have created a working file in Access that I would like to provide to some of my clients for there use in tracking their stock investments. Is there a way to complile this file and make it a stand alone file since not all of my clients have Access? Thanks! Ed Hawley "Ed Hawley" <hawl1039@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:%23JhFU%23qvHHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > This is likely a dumb question but I have created a working file in Access > that I would like to provide to some of my clients for there use in > tracki...

How do I freeze a column to scroll in Access 2007?
Need to freeze a "last name" field so I'll have it when I scroll through student information. You can not. This is not Excel. Why would you need to freeze a field in a relational database? -- Build a little, test a little. "jenbcoll" wrote: > Need to freeze a "last name" field so I'll have it when I scroll through > student information. It's your form is a datasheet or split form with a datasheet you can right click on the column heading and choose Freeze Columns. Not sure hwo this compares to Excel freezing ability. ...

MS supplies 64 bit printer driver does not select paper tray
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit LexMark T420 printer (Lan connected) Win7 saw the printer and loaded a MS driver for it. I can print to the T420 but the print out always goes to tray 1 (legal). In the print preferences panel, I select tray 2 but the physical print always comes from tray 1. I cannot tell if the MS driver is PS or PCL. This is my first foray into the world of 64 bit printer drivers. Any suggestions appreciated. -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net The drivers provided by Microsoft are supplied by the manufacturer and are almost always not fu...

SOS! SharePoint Install
I downloaded SharePoint Services 2.0 and installed it on my Windows Server 2003 Std. server where CRM 3.0 is installed. Now, I can't use CRM. When I double click the icon I get a message that says "The Server is Unavailable". Major disaster! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Did you reboot the server? "Lloyd" wrote: > I downloaded SharePoint Services 2.0 and installed it on my Windows Server > 2003 Std. server where CRM 3.0 is installed. Now, I can't use CRM. When I > double click the icon I get a message that says "The Server is...

Building plug-ins to MS Outlook
Hello all, my company has almost completed development of a plug-in to MS Outlook that enables the sending and receiving of SMS text messages, the product is feature rich and equal to anything else on the market. Mediaburst are experiencing problems with debugging the software and are still experiencing occasional 'crashing'and 'hanging'of Outlook, I need to identify a comapny who can assist us. I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask, if not perhaps someone would be kind enough to redirect me to a more suitable place? Please email me should anyone know of a...

"file" cannot be accessed
Today when I tried to access a file (stored on a jump drive) I have been using for several months to track my 401-K, I received the following message: "'file name' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a ready-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." This is the only excel file on the jump drive which is not accessible. Any thoughts on how/if I can recover the information? Thanks Can you use windows explorer and copy it to your local harddrive and open from there? I would be reluctant to open...

Logon dialog requesting user name and password keeps me from accessing my mail. Any ideas?
I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the logon dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I did not set it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I tried every ID and Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error msg I'm inputting the wrong ID and./or Password in. Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I can get back into my mail? Thanks much in advance, Rob "Rob" <rbaysinger...

calendar access in exchange 2003 and in owa 2003
Hi What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to everyone's calendar? Also is it possible to open other users calendars with owa in exchange 2003? Also have a user who cant open a public folder,but everyone else can,any clues?There is full control on permissions for this user. thanks mark wrote: > Hi > What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to > everyone's calendar? Everyone needs to share their calendar and assign permissions appropriately (best to set permissions via groups, not individual users) > Also is it possible to open other users ca...

MS CRM Installation
Unkonwingly i today started my MS CRM server installation on system with 128MB RAM, the installation went fine upto 85% and then came out. Now i have increased my RAM to 390MB, and i try to remove my CRM Server but in windows control panel, add/remove programs it shows the MSCRM but the options to change/remove are unclickable and it doesn't show the size of the application which is normally done. I am struck i can't remove my CRM, i can't login, what do i do? pls. help. When i start my browser IE6.0 SP1 on browsing http://CRM it shows Ms CRM server or security service has...

Requesting data from MS Exchange Server
Outlook 2002 locks up and displays the following message: "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server "(name of server)", You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Why is this happening, and what can I do to prevent? Something is slowing down data transfer between your Exchange server and Outlook - either the Exchange server is very busy or there's some network problem. Contact your system administrator to see if something can be done about it. -- Jeff Stephenson Outl...

Unhandled exception (LIBTIFF3.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation
Hi, Does anyone know what cause this? "Unhandled exception (LIBTIFF3.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation" The yellow pointer always points me to the arrow I give below. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Apple ============================================ 6FD872F4 test eax,eax 6FD872F6 mov esi,dword ptr [esp+68h] 6FD872FA je 6FD87304 6FD872FC cmp dword ptr [eax],ebx 6FD872FE je 6FD8738E 6FD87304 test esi,esi 6FD87306 jne 6FD87346 ========> 6FD87308 mov edi,dword ptr [ebp+234h] 6FD8730E xor ...