Linking from Word to Excel in Sharepoint

What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site to 
an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site?  When I paste the link 
into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save (and check 
in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word document. 

0
MWulfe
5/25/2010 4:15:41 PM
sharepoint.general 599 articles. 0 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1275 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going 
through to attempt to accomplish this?


--rms

www.rmschneider.com




On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote:
> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site
> to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the
> link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save
> (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word
> document.
0
Rob
5/26/2010 7:15:34 AM
I would like to be able to make the same changes in an Excel chart as
I would if it were pasted into my Word document as an Excel Chart
Object.  The way I am doing this is by using copying the chart to the
clipboard from Excel then using "Paste Special" in Word.

On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:15:34 +0100, Rob Schneider
<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going 
>through to attempt to accomplish this?
>
>
>--rms
>
>www.rmschneider.com
>
>
>
>
>On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote:
>> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site
>> to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the
>> link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save
>> (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word
>> document.
0
MWulfe
5/26/2010 12:46:24 PM
Well, I don't have a computer at hand to test this, but remember that 
when you open an Excel file that is stored in SP, you are actually 
opening not that file in SP, but a copy of that file that has moved to 
your computer.  The Paste/Special with link will probably link back to 
the file stored on your computer.  So that when later you open up Word 
with that linked object, it will look to the copy on your computer--not 
back to SharePoint.  I suspect (but can't go to the computer to look) is 
that Word doesn't have a clue that the Excel Object comes from the file 
in SharePoint.  And if it did have a clue, it would have to copy that 
file down from SharePoint, then Open in Excel, then update the link.  My 
hunch is that this all is not set to work like this as it's surely 
unreliable.


--rms

www.rmschneider.com




On 26/05/10 13:46, MWulfe wrote:
> I would like to be able to make the same changes in an Excel chart as
> I would if it were pasted into my Word document as an Excel Chart
> Object.  The way I am doing this is by using copying the chart to the
> clipboard from Excel then using "Paste Special" in Word.
>
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:15:34 +0100, Rob Schneider
> <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going
>> through to attempt to accomplish this?
>>
>>
>> --rms
>>
>> www.rmschneider.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote:
>>> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site
>>> to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the
>>> link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save
>>> (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word
>>> document.
0
Rob
5/26/2010 3:30:40 PM
That should not be any problem. Make sure that you paste it as a link and that the Excel - document is saved to the SharePoint address before you do it. 

There might also be a security property on the receiving document. I think also that the receiving document must be in edit mode.

We do this all the time (from Excel to Word) and it is normally no problem at all. But we do have a big problem with some computers (not all). That is that the user needs an extra login but the login dialog box don?t appear. After about one minute waiting we got an ERROR message saying that the application is waiting for another application to do an OLE action.

Is somebody able to help us?




MWulfe wrote:

Linking from Word to Excel in Sharepoint
25-May-10

What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site to
an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site?  When I paste the link
into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save (and check
in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word document.

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice 
Entity Framework 4.0 and the AJAX Autocomplete Extender.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/77429274-e89f-49c2-a93a-b290f013f649/entity-framework-40-and.aspx
0
UTF
5/26/2010 3:36:37 PM
I'm glad to hear this works.  I still am not at my computer to try.

OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) has been around since about 1993 as I 
recall and even in those 17 years it hasn't gotten much better in my 
experience. Hence my hunch it wouldn't work well.  But I've tended to 
avoid it only trying it occasionally to "test the water" and seeing it 
still doesn't work as advertise. Probably just me. Adding SP to the mix 
only makes it so much more complicated.


--rms

www.rmschneider.com




On 26/05/10 16:36, B�rre A wrote:
> That should not be any problem. Make sure that you paste it as a link and that the Excel - document is saved to the SharePoint address before you do it.
>
> There might also be a security property on the receiving document. I think also that the receiving document must be in edit mode.
>
> We do this all the time (from Excel to Word) and it is normally no problem at all. But we do have a big problem with some computers (not all). That is that the user needs an extra login but the login dialog box don?t appear. After about one minute waiting we got an ERROR message saying that the application is waiting for another application to do an OLE action.
>
> Is somebody able to help us?
>
>
>
>
> MWulfe wrote:
>
> Linking from Word to Excel in Sharepoint
> 25-May-10
>
> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site to
> an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site?  When I paste the link
> into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save (and check
> in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word document.
>
> Previous Posts In This Thread:
>
>
> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
> Entity Framework 4.0 and the AJAX Autocomplete Extender.
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/77429274-e89f-49c2-a93a-b290f013f649/entity-framework-40-and.aspx
0
Rob
5/26/2010 4:42:32 PM
Thanks for the information.  That is not good news for me.  I will
have to find another way to do this.


On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:30:40 +0100, Rob Schneider
<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

>Well, I don't have a computer at hand to test this, but remember that 
>when you open an Excel file that is stored in SP, you are actually 
>opening not that file in SP, but a copy of that file that has moved to 
>your computer.  The Paste/Special with link will probably link back to 
>the file stored on your computer.  So that when later you open up Word 
>with that linked object, it will look to the copy on your computer--not 
>back to SharePoint.  I suspect (but can't go to the computer to look) is 
>that Word doesn't have a clue that the Excel Object comes from the file 
>in SharePoint.  And if it did have a clue, it would have to copy that 
>file down from SharePoint, then Open in Excel, then update the link.  My 
>hunch is that this all is not set to work like this as it's surely 
>unreliable.
>
>
>--rms
>
>www.rmschneider.com
>
>
>
>
>On 26/05/10 13:46, MWulfe wrote:
>> I would like to be able to make the same changes in an Excel chart as
>> I would if it were pasted into my Word document as an Excel Chart
>> Object.  The way I am doing this is by using copying the chart to the
>> clipboard from Excel then using "Paste Special" in Word.
>>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:15:34 +0100, Rob Schneider
>> <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going
>>> through to attempt to accomplish this?
>>>
>>>
>>> --rms
>>>
>>> www.rmschneider.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote:
>>>> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site
>>>> to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the
>>>> link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save
>>>> (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word
>>>> document.
0
MWulfe
5/26/2010 11:02:48 PM
Based on what B�rre said, maybe it should work.

I still haven't heard from you exactly what you are doing and how you 
are doing it. I don't have a Windows machine at hand (travelling and 
using my Mac) to experiment for you.

Perhaps if you first ensure that both documents are open in their 
respective tools (Word and Excel), and that they both are stored in the 
same location (usually SharePoint draft folder) as they were when the 
OLE link was made, then when you refresh the object in Word from Excel 
it will work.

Frankly, I never fround OLE worked satisfactorily even before the days 
of SharePoint.  Always had much better luck pasting in Excel "pictures" 
(graphs and data) into Word.  I found little productivity gain and much 
complexity add by doing what you are trying to do.  SharePoint just 
makes it all more complicated for this sort of thing.

But... maybe it will work.  Just do it right.


--rms

www.rmschneider.com




On 27/05/10 00:02, MWulfe wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  That is not good news for me.  I will
> have to find another way to do this.
>
>
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:30:40 +0100, Rob Schneider
> <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> Well, I don't have a computer at hand to test this, but remember that
>> when you open an Excel file that is stored in SP, you are actually
>> opening not that file in SP, but a copy of that file that has moved to
>> your computer.  The Paste/Special with link will probably link back to
>> the file stored on your computer.  So that when later you open up Word
>> with that linked object, it will look to the copy on your computer--not
>> back to SharePoint.  I suspect (but can't go to the computer to look) is
>> that Word doesn't have a clue that the Excel Object comes from the file
>> in SharePoint.  And if it did have a clue, it would have to copy that
>> file down from SharePoint, then Open in Excel, then update the link.  My
>> hunch is that this all is not set to work like this as it's surely
>> unreliable.
>>
>>
>> --rms
>>
>> www.rmschneider.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 26/05/10 13:46, MWulfe wrote:
>>> I would like to be able to make the same changes in an Excel chart as
>>> I would if it were pasted into my Word document as an Excel Chart
>>> Object.  The way I am doing this is by using copying the chart to the
>>> clipboard from Excel then using "Paste Special" in Word.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:15:34 +0100, Rob Schneider
>>> <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>   wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going
>>>> through to attempt to accomplish this?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --rms
>>>>
>>>> www.rmschneider.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote:
>>>>> What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site
>>>>> to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the
>>>>> link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save
>>>>> (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word
>>>>> document.
0
Rob
5/27/2010 4:56:16 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify?
i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Is this just when over the cells ? Does it work on the title bar - windows options Or on the Excel menus ? Steve On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:21:01 +0100, j <j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot= e: > i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Unless the right-click button is frozen, I'm sure you can use the mouse right-click in Excel Just hit the right-click button. Now...........................the real issue What are you right-clicking on and what doesn't happen for you? Does the right-click no...

Importing a Word document
Why is it that when I import a Word document, it opens into a new publication rather than the publication page that I just created? That means I have to re-do the page size, margins, etc. What am I doing wrong? Instead of using the Import feature, click inside an existing Publisher text box and choose Insert: Text File from the Menu Bar. Deanna www.ThatOfficeGirl.com "ChurchLady" wrote: > Why is it that when I import a Word document, it opens into a new publication > rather than the publication page that I just created? That means I have to > re-do the page size,...

how do i protect a word doc, but leave some areas editable?
I have a word document formatted, but there are certain pieces of information that need to be edited each time it is used. How do I create it so only the set sections can be changed? Lainey25 wrote: > I have a word document formatted, but there are certain pieces of > information that need to be edited each time it is used. How do I > create it so only the set sections can be changed? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm and the links in that article. These articles illustrate the steps for Word 2003 or earlier. If you have Word 2007, post ba...

linking cells #3
I have a calendar created in Excel - each sheet is a new month that contains the following information: the last week of the previous month, the current month, and the first week of the next month. I would like to link the cells from the "overlapping" weeks, but I do not want the "0" to show up in the cells. Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks in advance! Paula Either choose not to show zero values through Tools>Options>View or trap the zero and turn to a blank-looking character. =IF(sheet1!A1="","",sheet1!A1) Gord Dibben Excel M...

Word Automation Data Sources
Hi, My customer wants me to generate an invoice from data contained in MS Access. He has a Microsoft Word - based invoice that he currently uses and wants the new system to use the same document. So I intend to use Word Automation and MailMerge to meet the requirement. Some of the information on the invoice is name, address, city, state, zip - one record per invoice, no problem. But he also has a detailed section of the invoice that will contain multiple line items. So there will be multiple records per invoice for that part. Question: Can one Word document hav...

import hyperterminal value into excel
How do I import a hyperterminal value into an excel cell? ...

Excel Function to Access
I would like this excel function =IF(A4=A5,C5-C4,C5) to be utilized a a function in a query in MS Access where the fields that supposed t be in column A are the primary key fields and the next fields whic are in column C, are to be calculated in.The answers to this functio are to go into a new field.....Any help please? : Primary key, by definition, means no duplicates. How would A4 ever equal A5? -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address. "CJT" <chico_2186@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:Wa-dnQuiOcaYskDfRVn_vQ@giganews.com... &g...

Is it possible to have 2 excel version in one computer?
hi everyone i just installed a 2003 version office... i liked the new features but when i wanted to open an excel file that has been created by 2002 version excel, i was shocked that i can't open the file successfully. When i opened and enabled the built in macros in the file, an error message popped out and said that the data may have been lost. After I have closed the error message, i checked the file. the data is still in the worksheet but all the words, format, buttons, and other information have all disappeared. However, if I open it in another version other than 2003, the file work...

Free MS Excel/Access Video Tutorials and Articles
Hey All, There are a whole bunch of free articles and video tutorials at http://www.davidbase.com. There's no cost to sign up and there are lots of articles and videos to check out. Some of the topics are Access VBA, Excel, Database Design, Reporting, Union Queries and more. Some recent articles: Access Parameter Queries Union Queries Excel VBA Random Numbers Relationships and Joins � and plenty more. Sign up (it's free) right on the home page and see if it suits you. Thanks, AppTrix Staff http://www.davidbase.com ...

Excel Formulae #3
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with value in one column & a series of dates in 5 other columns.For each row depending on the value in the first colunm a date may be applicable in one or more of the other columns.e.g 550 in the first column will mean dates will be inserted in the next 2 columns similar to authority levels. My qn. is how can I show what's outstanding if the relevant authority levels have not signed off-basically this is used as a tracker of invoices & I would like to show what is outstanding awaiting approval at anytime. Thanks Raj ----------------------------------...

Excel -- Wrapped text disappears
A user here is having the same problem as described in a previous topic (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/b32b50c3e69981d/dc8adb6c01616d70%23dc8adb6c01616d70). Windows XP Pro, SP2 Office 2003 Pro, SP2 New machine with plenty of resources. Was originally working properly, then mysteriously developed a strange symptom: Any text that is in an Excel cell in which the "wrap text" option has been selected no longer shows up. I have checked it with 1 character, 1 word, and multiple lines of text. It has been repeated with spreadsheets created on...

EXCEL caused an invalid page fault #3
Whenever I start EXCEL 2000 I get the following msg. EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module EXCEL.EXE at 018f:3001de79. Registers: EAX=900a0154 CS=018f EIP=3001de79 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00100000 SS=0197 ESP=0062eb5c EBP=0062ebf0 ECX=0000c630 DS=0197 ESI=50020044 FS=0ebf EDX=30021a90 ES=0197 EDI=300378d4 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 0f bf 04 c5 aa df 01 30 89 45 dc 8d 45 e4 50 e8 Stack dump: 50020044 006b76e4 006b7608 006b7608 0062ebf0 006b7608 006b76e4 006b7608 0062eb54 3001dcc3 00000000 bff728a2 bff54f53 1294bb9c ad4c17af 12990002 I had reinstalled and repaired several times but it does n...

Bug in excel 2003
Hi, I'm trying to get an equation of a table of data. When I enter the data, make a graph of it, I get a nice sinus-kind-of-line. Therefor I would like to have fourth order equation. The line of data looks very good (125 data points). Then I add a trendline (4th order) that looks like a very nice fit. But when I set the properties of the trendline to "show equation in graph" the a wrong equation is displayed. After a lot of fiddling with data, I noticed that the shown equation has wrong contstands showing. E.g.: The shown eqaution = A + B*X + C*X^2 + D*X^3 + E*X^4 In fact ...

where can I find a nurse staffing templatew for excel 2000
I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses Try the Office Template Gallery. http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/templategallery/default.asp Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:54:00 -0700, klif_e <klife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses ...

Excel 2007 Back-up copies
How do I stop Excel from creating a "back-up" copy everytime I "save" a document? It only does this when I "Save" not when I "save as". My folders are quickly filling up with back-ups. This just started happening after I upgraded to Windows 7. -- Hawaiianshirt Does that happen for all workbooks or a specific one. Open the workbook>from Save AS dialog>Tools>General Options> check whether 'Always create backup' is enabled or not? If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Hawaiianshirt...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

excel passwords #2
I need to know how to set up a password and change a password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA Use workbook/sheet protection. Select tools menu>protection. There you can select the type of protection you want and include a password Regards, F.I. >-----Original Message----- >I need to know how to set up a password and change a >password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA >. > ...

Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell it gets deselected
While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 seconds, that particular cell gets deselected followed by the workbook. So each time I need to click either the cell or workbook to enter data in that particular sheet. There could be event code that is being fired. Does this happen if you open the workbook with macros disabled? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "towinwin" <towinwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7B87AFB-27AC-4235-9AE3-5E7A46310AF8@microsoft.com... > While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 se...

Reading Registry Key through excel?
Is there anyway to read a certain registry key and display it in a cell how about a way to create a key through excel? is that possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rav, There is a special registry area for VBA which is read/written via GetSettinmg and SaveSetting functions. It is a bit restrictive, in that in can only writes to a limited part of the registry, but it's sufficient for storing application details. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ravz &g...

Filter List for Linked Values
I have a list of Numbers. In that list some Cells are: - Linked Values [ e.g. ='[Sales.xls]Sheet1'!K61) ] - Forumlas [ e.g. =1802+254+356 or =sum(A2:B32) ] - Manually Entered I want to filter the list for linked values. Is this possible? Hi not without VBA (using a user defined function) and a helper column >-----Original Message----- >I have a list of Numbers. In that list some Cells are: > > - Linked Values [ e.g. ='[Sales.xls]Sheet1'!K61) ] > - Forumlas [ e.g. =1802+254+356 or =sum(A2:B32) ] > - Manually Entered > > I want to filter the l...

'Ghost' Link In Workbook
Sometimes, when I open a workbook, I get a window telling me that th book has an outside link to another book, though I'm not aware o having linked it. A search for the link turns up nothing, an sometimes - Even if I delete the contents of the entire sheet - Th link still shows up under the 'Edit' menu. It is _extremely frustrating!!! Any feedback on this would be appreciated -- bohnnevill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bohnneville's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1560 View this thread: http:...

how do I unblock links in email mesages received in Outlook?
LInks in emails in Outlook are blocked-they will not iopen What happens when you try? A common error begins 'restrictions in effect... ' - for this problem, see http://slipstick.me/restrict -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you us...

Sharepoint CRM Web Part
Hi there, I'm having problems getting the CRM 3.0 web part working in Sharepoint and I suspect that it's to do with my configuration: I run Sharepoint on an SBS 2003 box and CRM 3.0 on a seperate 2003 member server. In the AD I've set the Sharepoint SBS box to allow delegation, however as this is SBS, you can't specifiy whether or not to use Kerberos Has anyone got it working using this type of setup before? K2 I noticed web part is built on top of FilteredViews, and it has similar Kerberos delegation requirement. You may want to check out the KB we have for repo...

Pasting into Word?????
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C6C12B.3A6B8FC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation as to how I can cut a = piece of some data in EXCEL (without gridlines), and paste it into = MSWORD and not have the gridlines appear? Thanks, in advance Mike --=20 Dr. Michael Raphael University of Phoenix Online Faculty mraphael@email.uophx.edu -------------------------------------------------------------------------= ------- I am using the free v...

excel find problems
I have a database in excel with 4 sheets. When I want to conduct a search, it only searches the active sheet. Therefore I have to select each sepearte sheet and carry out 4 individual searches. Is there any way to search all sheets at once? If there is not, I am aware I can create a user form and use the approproate syntax to conduct my required search. However this will take me a long time. If there is an easier apprach then please let me know. Regards camron What version of excel? How are you searching? In later versions of Excel, you can select multiple sheets and have Edit|Fin...