Attachment guideline or limit for lists

Can anyone tell me the guideline or limit that Microsoft recommends for
attachments to a list iitem. I know there is a 2,000 guideline for number of
items in a list. Is there any documentation from Microsoft that shows how
adding attachments to lists degrades performance for viewing and searching in
SharePoint?

Thanks for any help on this.

One slight correction... it's 2000 items in a view, not a list. You can have
thousands of items in the list. Just try and keep your views to less than
2000.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"WEG" <WEG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the guideline or limit that Microsoft recommends for
> attachments to a list iitem. I know there is a 2,000 guideline for number
> of
> items in a list. Is there any documentation from Microsoft that shows how
> adding attachments to lists degrades performance for viewing and searching
> in
> SharePoint?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

0
Daniel
3/1/2010 10:04:32 PM
Daniel,
Does the "over 2000 list or library items/view set up" work in SP07 or
SP2010?
--
Thanks!
Joyce

"Daniel A. Galant" wrote:

> One slight correction... it's 2000 items in a view, not a list. You can have
> thousands of items in the list. Just try and keep your views to less than
> 2000.
>
> --
> Daniel A. Galant
>
> Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
>
> "WEG" <WEG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me the guideline or limit that Microsoft recommends for
> > attachments to a list iitem. I know there is a 2,000 guideline for number
> > of
> > items in a list. Is there any documentation from Microsoft that shows how
> > adding attachments to lists degrades performance for viewing and searching
> > in
> > SharePoint?
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this.

The 2000 items per view is a recommendation limit for 2007. SP2010 has made
a number of improvements in performance and such, but I don't have any data
on specs yet. Still playing with it.

--

"JLT" <JLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Daniel,
> Does the "over 2000 list or library items/view set up" work in SP07 or
> SP2010?
> --
> Thanks!
> Joyce
>

> "Daniel A. Galant" wrote:
>
>> One slight correction... it's 2000 items in a view, not a list. You can
>> have
>> thousands of items in the list. Just try and keep your views to less than
>> 2000.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel A. Galant
>>
>> Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.
>>
>> "WEG" <WEG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell me the guideline or limit that Microsoft recommends for
>> > attachments to a list iitem. I know there is a 2,000 guideline for
>> > number
>> > of
>> > items in a list. Is there any documentation from Microsoft that shows
>> > how
>> > adding attachments to lists degrades performance for viewing and
>> > searching
>> > in
>> > SharePoint?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help on this.

0
Daniel

Exchange 2003 services list
Hi All, i want to know the services list for exchange 2003 and what they are doing, any web link or reference willbe helpful thanks in advance regards shajahan ...

two columns range of numbers need to list all numbers in the range
have two columns range of numbers i need to list each number in the range start end 5 9 15 19 20 29 i need for each row to show the numbers in the range 5 6 7 8 9 15 16 .. .. pls help Was this post helpful to you? Check your other post. arsovat wrote: > > have two columns range of numbers i need to list each number in the range > start end > 5 9 > 15 19 > 20 29 > i need for each row to show the numbers in the range > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 15 > 16 > . > . > pls help > > Was this post he...

Text is added as attachment after copy and paste
Hi I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an html-page-attachment to my new mail. I just want to have it added as simple text in the mail-body regards R. Save the text in notepad or something and then Insert the file - but check the button so it inserts it as text, not just as an attachment ;-) r@gnar.de wrote: > Hi > > I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text > from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an > html-page-attachment to my new ...

Forwarded emails now go as an attachment
When I forward emails within Outlook they now go as an attachment. Can anybody explain why and how to get it back to normal TIA Hodge tools, options, email options - do you have it set on as attachment? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ &quo...

rule size limit for mailboxes
Is there a way to increase the 32 KB size limit ? Thanks in advance ! Hans No it is inherent to the underlying rpc protocol. Nue "Hans Maris" <HansMaris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77A25DF8-50C8-4CB9-A2C8-F772243CD8EA@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to increase the 32 KB size limit ? > > Thanks in advance ! > Hans You might want to look at this. Let me know if you have any more questions. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Set-Size-Limits-Messages.html On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:14:02 -0700, Hans Maris <HansMaris@discussions.micros...

error when attaching apple "pages" doc #2
hi whenever i try to attach a "pages" doc to an entourage email i get a mnessage that i need to instal suffit i have stuffit exapnder installed, am running osx and office 2004 i loked at stuffit's site and they want $ for the compression program any ideas? i have "no compression" selected in my preferences thanks ...

Publish Task List
Is there a way to either publish a public task list as a web page or export as a file? Is there a way to either publish a public task list as a web page or export as a file, retaining it's view characteristics? View it in Simple list view, add columns, do your grouping - using the Field Chooser and Group By box (on Advanced toolbar) Then you can print preview it - you'll get what you see when you print it! Judy Gleeson Acorn Training and Consulting "we're nuts about Outlook" www.acorntraining.com.au/productivit.htm Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@hotmail.com>...

Private Distribution Lists
Is it possible to create a distribution list where the the recipients can not see each others names?? This is for a blast sales letter and I would rather not send it as bcc: That's what the BCC field is for. Why can you not use it? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dooley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54f201c3da19$3196cd70$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to create a distribution list where the > the recipients can not see each others names?? This is > for a blast sales letter and I would rather not send it > as bcc: ...

Senders email address in saved attachment
Hi, I'm currently using the below VBA to export all email attachments into one folder. I however also need to capture the senders email address, preferrably in the file name of the saved attachment. Is this possible or are you able to advise another solution to capture this information? '<DieseOutlookSitzung> Public Sub LoopMailFolderByFolderPath() On Error GoTo ERR_HANDLER Dim oFld As Outlook.MAPIFolder Dim obj As Object Set oFld = GetFolder("Mailbox - ! TSN Credit Approvals\testing") If Not oFld Is Nothing Then For Each obj In...

Disable "remove" attachment from Notes?
By removing the "delete" privilege from the Notes entity from a security role, an User assigned with the role can be prevented from deleting a Note. But it does not prevent the User from removing the file attachment attached to the Notes. Question. Is there any workaround or intelligent customization to prevent the removing of file attachments? Hi Daniel, try limiting the NOTES - WRITE privileges to "none" Vivi - MS CRM consultant "Daniel" wrote: > By removing the "delete" privilege from the Notes entity from a security > role, an U...

validation list #4
hi i have created a validation list with more then 500 name, but when i try to find a particual name i have to go through all of them . is it possblie to write the first alphabitic letter in the list and the drow down list will point to that particual name e.g if the name in the list is Mark S. Mark can i write only Ma to find all Names start with Ma You can do this if you use a combobox from the control toolbox instead of DV. -- HTH Bob Phillips "osaka78" <osaka78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12E9A3FF-5773-4002-8BCD-C2498BDE9EB0@microsoft.com......

Can't publish Excel list to Sharepoint
In trying to publish Excel list to Sharepoint (push from Excel to Sharepoint), I get the msg "Cannot connect to server at this time. Your list cannot be published". I am able to "pull" the same spreadsheet into Sharepoint, using Create List, Import Spreadsheet. I have done the workaround in KB838703 with same results. Any other suggestions ? This has also been posted to the Sharepoint community site Thanks. On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:52:03 -0700, "LeslieR" wrote: >In trying to publish Excel list to Sharepoint (push from Excel to >Sharepoint), I get the m...

prevent image showing as attachment
Can anyone help. In word 2007 i've created a newsletter. At end of newsletter i've inserted a signature image. Am using this newsletter to email, via outlook 2007, to about 50 clients. Here's the problem. When clients receive the email they also receive the signature image as an attachment. How can i prevent this from happening? From Word, I cut and paste the newsletter into an outlook 2007 email which i'm creating as html. Again, is there someway to send the email without the recipient receiving the signature attachment? jskamm;111458 Wrote: > Can an...

How to prevent users changing details in Contacts List
Hi All, After entering the contact details in the contact form, How to preven users from changing the details through the Conacts List ?? We have customised the contact form for not entering the non-codepag 1252 characters into the form. But, there is a possibility that use may do the trick by entering the non-codepage 1252 characters into th contact details through contacts list by clicking on a particula record with the help of a mouse and directly editing there. As per our requirement, the contact details shall be synchronised t Siebel through Exchange Server. Please suggest me how to av...

Size of drop down in validation list
I have a validation list which contains about 50 elements. The drop down only shows 9 entries which I can then scroll through. Is there a way to get the drop down to show more entries? There is nothing below the cell which contains the validation list. Thanks for any help on this. There is no way to change the number of entries shown in a data validation drop-down list. I believe you can do so with a ComboBox control (i.e. from the Developer toolbar), but then additional code may be required to validate entries. dhstein;690747 Wrote: > I have a validation list...

VLookUp and DropDown List in the same cell
Hi everyone, I know that this is possible but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. In column E, I have a list of zip code. In column I, I have the "Priority" category. Priority will be based on the zip code in column E. This will be accomplished by VLookUp formula, where I will have a separate sheet store all the zip codes and the priorities (ie. Priority #1, Priority #2 and so on). The challenge part is that column I "Priority" column needs to be able to use as a Drop Down List as well, in case that the VLookUp formula needs to be overridden for so...

A bug in Quote list with CRM v3?
With Contact or Account window open and quote tab is clicked, "Filter on - draft, won, closed..." feature is not working when "This Record only" is selected. But it works with the opportunities list. ...

Mail not received when certain user is on the To: or CC: list
Hi, I am using Exchange Server 2003 SP 1 (I believe) with XP clients running Outlook. Basically we have a problem sending email to a specific user when another specific user is in the cc or to field. IE. We have 5 employees If anyone in the company sends a message to Employee number 1 and employee number 5 is also in the message (either TO: or CC; field) then employees Number 2,3,4 and 5 will get it but not employee number 1. However employees number 1 can receive mail from all employees as long as employee number 5 is not in either the TO: or CC: field. Any help??? Thanks Check ...

Exchange 5.5 does not sent mails with attachment
Hello NG we are currently running our Exchange 5.5 server but going to switch to 2003 within this year. Now we have the problem that the server does not sent mails bigger 5MB anymore. Smaller ones is no problem. There is no restiction set in the server settings nor does the firewall or virus checker block them. Any idear?? Best regards Chris Ruetten On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:57:59 +0100, "Christoph Ruetten" <c.ruetten@radiometer.de> wrote: >Hello NG > >we are currently running our Exchange 5.5 server but going to switch to 2003 >within this year. > &g...

CDOEX, CDOEXM and Listing Mailboxes
Hello, I've been Googling for ages and I'm stuck. I'm using CDOEXM in conjunction with System.DirectoryServices to automate Documenting an Exchange Organisations installation. However I want to basically list the mailboxes stored on an Exchange Server. I thought this would be something that CDOEXM could do but apparantly not. I wasn't confident with using WMI as it seems very basic for Exchange 2000 and this needs to support Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003. Any suggestions - or if theres a better Group to post the query let me know Much Thanks, Dave You can search A...

Outlook Attachment Issue
HI ALL Expert I was not able to copy attachments to another new messages in outlook 2003, would you please show me how to fix it. Thanks! Hugo __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4259 (20090719) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Any error messages? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly...

Attach Sales literature document in mail
Hi, How can I attach Sales literature document in a mail? It's possible? Thanks in advance Without custom coding, you will have to save the Sales Literature locally and then attach it to the email manually. This was a feature requested frequently when 1.2 was out. It's kind of hard to believe they didn't add this functionality in 3.0. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Marcos" wrote: > Hi, > > How can I attach Sales literature document in a mail? It's possible? > > Thanks in advance Anyone have any idea on the custo...

DataSet.ReadXMLSchema limitations?!
Hi I have a complex VALID schema, and I try to load into a dataset, but I get an Error: unidentified data type, but the type exist !!, and the xsd is valid (I tested against XML) As far I read from this forum, the dataset have some limitation reading complex schema, but there is some oficial information from microsoft about what kind of schema cause this... Thx ...

Exmerge & PST Limitations?
I'm looking to use Exmerge in a number of different ways on the Firm's Exchange 5.5 environment. However, I have a number of questions with regards to the limitations of Exmerge. As Exmerge uses PSTs to store emails, I imagine it is restricted by the 2GB limit of non unicode PSTs? That is correct. Nue "Pendragon" <Pendragon@pendragon.com> wrote in message news:440323b6$0$26028$ed9e5944@readers.news.pipex.net... > > I'm looking to use Exmerge in a number of different ways on the Firm's > Exchange 5.5 environment. However, I have a number of questio...

how do I list FrontPage pages by category?
I click "View > Reports > Categories," and select a category in the menu-box to the right. I consistently get "no files match the criteria specied" - which i know is untrue did you assign a category to a page(s)? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC29434F-71AE-41ED-BF76-9D5A1397552F@microsoft.com... > I click "View > Reports > Categories," and select a category in the > menu-box > to the right. I consiste...