Discover/Audit existing IE home page

Is there a way, with some type of script, to find out what each user is
using as their home page in Internet Explorer?

I want to ultimately set all user's home page with a GPO, to our SharePoint
site, but I want to know what they have now for a home page.  If it's
something they use often and it's work related, I'll add that as a link on
the home page of SharePoint.

I could send out a mass email and ask, but I would invariably get questions
and/or comments like:  "I don't think I have a home page", or "what is a
home page", or "I don't think I have Internet Explorer"  :-)

Thanks

0
JohnB

"JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way, with some type of script, to find out what each user is
> using as their home page in Internet Explorer?
>
> I want to ultimately set all user's home page with a GPO, to our
SharePoint
> site, but I want to know what they have now for a home page.  If it's
> something they use often and it's work related, I'll add that as a link on
> the home page of SharePoint.
>
> I could send out a mass email and ask, but I would invariably get
questions
> and/or comments like:  "I don't think I have a home page", or "what is a
> home page", or "I don't think I have Internet Explorer"  :-)

This returns the home page on Windows 98/IE 6.

s = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page"
MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
Todd
12/16/2009 1:54:12 AM

"JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way, with some type of script, to find out what each user is
> using as their home page in Internet Explorer?
>
> I want to ultimately set all user's home page with a GPO, to our
> SharePoint site, but I want to know what they have now for a home page.
> If it's something they use often and it's work related, I'll add that as a
> link on the home page of SharePoint.
>
> I could send out a mass email and ask, but I would invariably get
> questions and/or comments like:  "I don't think I have a home page", or
> "what is a home page", or "I don't think I have Internet Explorer"  :-)
>
> Thanks

Do you have roving profiles? If not, you will have to process each existing
profile on each workstation.

/Al

0
Al
12/16/2009 1:55:54 AM

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message

> "JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way, with some type of script, to find out what each user is
>> using as their home page in Internet Explorer?
>>
>> I want to ultimately set all user's home page with a GPO, to our
> SharePoint
>> site, but I want to know what they have now for a home page.  If it's
>> something they use often and it's work related, I'll add that as a link
>> on
>> the home page of SharePoint.
>>
>> I could send out a mass email and ask, but I would invariably get
> questions
>> and/or comments like:  "I don't think I have a home page", or "what is a
>> home page", or "I don't think I have Internet Explorer"  :-)
>
> This returns the home page on Windows 98/IE 6.
>
> Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> s = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page"
> MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "

Good solution, however, it would need to be run by each user, and the msgbox
call changed to something that writes the information to a repository
somewhere.

/Al

0
Al
12/17/2009 5:26:28 AM
Al Dunbar wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> >
> > "JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a way, with some type of script, to find out what each user is
> >> using as their home page in Internet Explorer?
> >>
> >> I want to ultimately set all user's home page with a GPO, to our
> > SharePoint
> >> site, but I want to know what they have now for a home page.  If it's
> >> something they use often and it's work related, I'll add that as a link
> >> on
> >> the home page of SharePoint.
> >>
> >> I could send out a mass email and ask, but I would invariably get
> > questions
> >> and/or comments like:  "I don't think I have a home page", or "what is
> >> home page", or "I don't think I have Internet Explorer"  :-)
> >
> > This returns the home page on Windows 98/IE 6.
> >
> > Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> > s = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page"
> > MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "
>
> Good solution, however, it would need to be run by each user, and the
msgbox
> call changed to something that writes the information to a repository
> somewhere.

It was not intended to be a complete solution.
Just a pointer in the direction OP may want to research.

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
Todd
12/17/2009 10:58:16 PM

> Al Dunbar wrote:
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > SharePoint

>> > questions
>> >
>> > This returns the home page on Windows 98/IE 6.
>> >
>> > Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>> > s = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page"
>> > MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "
>>
>> Good solution, however, it would need to be run by each user, and the
> msgbox
>> call changed to something that writes the information to a repository
>> somewhere.
>
> It was not intended to be a complete solution.
> Just a pointer in the direction OP may want to research.

Understood. I made that reply in case the OP did not realize this fact. From
his post it was not clear what kind of script he wanted: one to run in the
logon script, one to run from the startup group, one to run remotely. I
infer from this that he might not have realized there were such options and
what their advantages and shortcomings might be.

/Al

0
Al
12/18/2009 3:24:27 AM
Are you saying this only works on Win98?

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> Al Dunbar wrote:
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > SharePoint

>> > questions
>> >
>> > This returns the home page on Windows 98/IE 6.
>> >
>> > Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>> > s = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page"
>> > MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "
>>
>> Good solution, however, it would need to be run by each user, and the
> msgbox
>> call changed to something that writes the information to a repository
>> somewhere.
>
> It was not intended to be a complete solution.
> Just a pointer in the direction OP may want to research.
>

> --
> Todd Vargo
> (Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
JohnB
12/18/2009 2:30:36 PM
JohnB wrote:
> Are you saying this only works on Win98?

No. I am saying this is what I get on Windows 98.
You will have to test it on your OS to verify it returns the home page.

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)
0
Todd
12/18/2009 11:05:46 PM
Todd Vargo wrote:
> JohnB wrote:
>> Are you saying this only works on Win98?
>
> No. I am saying this is what I get on Windows 98. You will have to
> test it on your OS to verify it returns the home page.

Well, it still works on Windows 7, IE 8. Of course, it would have to be
modified to retrieve the start page for specific users. You'd have to
know the user id code and have administrator privileges.

s = "HKEY_USERS\xxxx...\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start
Page"
MsgBox WshShell.RegRead(s), 64,"IE home page is... "

--
Crash

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do."
~ B. F. Skinner ~
0
Dave

Insert signature line on credit card slip for a full page receipt
How can I place a signature line for credit card transaction on a full page receipt in RMS? All you need to do is modify the receipt template you are using. If you are interested in this, drop me an email and we can see what it will take to make happen for you. Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager rsakry@rite.us http://www.rite.us 320-230-2282 ext. 4002 (Office) 320-230-1796 (Fax) On 7/14/2010 5:36 PM, Haik wrote: > How can I place a signature line for credit card transaction on a full page > receipt in RMS? ...

GAL web page
How can I create a web page listing names and phone numbers (possibly couple other fields from AD). I have ran across several CDO or ADSI samples for Exchange 5.5, but w are running Exchange 2000. Does anyone have ideas or code for me? It must be out there. Ideally, I would like to expand it to an in/out checkboard type o thing. For now, just publishing the phone list will work - cgraham158 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread...

Help needed to add commets, arrows, etc to existing graph...
I am wanting to add comments and arrows (that look proper) and fill i the area between two lines on a line graph i have created in excel. Ca someone please guide me on how this may be done... I was thinking: i. there may be a way to do it in excel that i am not aware of, ii. there may be another charting program which will draw the chart with all the frills from data exported from excel, iii. there may be another program that allows me to add stuff t already created excel charts, iv. something else. My aim is to export these graphs to word - they will form part of report i am writting. An...

Cannot "Page Setup" feature
Good morning I have been editing a book of ca 170 pages. Up until last Thursday I could access "page setup", the "Column" feature of the "Index and Reference" etc. I do not know what I might have done; however, now the Table of Contents show only 20 pages even though the entire book is present, the "Page Setup" is grayed out and I cannot access it, and other features suich as restoring the two column format for the indices at the end of the book no longer function. Can you tell me what I may have done and how to fix it. I tried just copying ...

OWA
Here's a weird one. I'm the Admin for the server at our company. I test OWA from home. I first tried to log in to all accounts. Worked fine. All of a sudden (within the next few days) I tried to log in under my acct...it works, BUT every other user that I try to log in as I get a error 401 Unauthorized User. But this is the weird part... if I use another browser (Netscape, Firefox) I can log in fine...under ANY user...just not when using IE. Any suggestions? The only thing that I did on the local side was install the OWA security S/MIME thing. This wouldn't have anything t...

Office:mac2008 Home & Student edition
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When installing Office:mac2008 Home & Student Edition (which I have purchased new) the installation went OK. However, when I try to open any of the programmes (e.g. word or powerpoint) I get a window titled Create an Office Identity. After completing this form, and I select the continue tab, nothing happens: consequently I cannot open any of the programs. I have re-installed this programme, but the result is still negative. Any advice wld be appreciated. On 9/12/09 4:56 AM, in article 59b7c479.-1@webcrossing.caR9a...

Bitmaps' Page Display
How would small bitmaps be displayed on a page of a tab control. The bitmaps would need to be printed out similarly to text, line by line. Each line would contain at least ten small bitmaps.And there could be enough lines to continue past the end the visible tab page. Then a scroll control would be used. Is it possible to do this type of thing. ...

Office v.X updates disappeared from the Mactopia download page
Updates for Office v.X seemed to have disappeared from the main Mactopia download page. When I search for a 10.1.9 update, I see a link to an update, but that link takes you to the main Mactopia page where there aren't any Office updates except for Office 2004. Does anybody know how to get the Office v.X updates? An ftp site would work also. OK, I found it via a Google search at -<br> <br> &nbsp;<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FEA9FD8A-EA16-4B3C-9381-18A389D5599A&displaylang=en><br> <br> It's just pretty lame though that ...

Opening Page format
Using MS Publisher 2002, I want the opening page to show only a blank page, not a graphic showing - in a third of the screen - a selection of "scheme - options - designs" Help/advice will be appreciated. If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - UNBELIEVABLE Go to menu Tools > Options tab General second item down - DE-select -- On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:44:07 +1000, "���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote: >If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - >UNBELIEVABLE I'm not. > >Go to me...

Disappearing Page tabs
We recently had office 2007 installed on our XP computers. We save many spreadsheets on a network drive. Since the installation occasionally when we open Excel it will not show us the page tabs. We have hid and unhide the tabs using the options box. Is there a way to fix this? Lets hope we get a reply, I have same problem and asked again. Opened book with tabs, ran a macro to sort and print and tabs disappeared and I cant find. SG <cyclingmerlin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ff562108-d923-4f8f-8ac9-bf34d9c5cb76@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com... > We recently had office 2007 insta...

replace manual page breaks WITH section breaks
Hello everyone -- There is no problem searching FOR section breaks and replacing them WITH something else, but there seems to be no way to do the reverse -- there is no Section Break choice in the Replace With pop-up window. Typing in ^b just produces an error. Is there a way to do this? Thank you all, -Lynne Please ignore question, folks. I just found a workaround here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136260 -Lynne Here it "Elessvie" wrote: > Hello everyone -- There is no problem searching FOR section breaks and > replacing them WITH somethin...

Unable to Overwrite Existing Network File
I have been searching in vain for a solution to this problem for quite some time. What happens is that even when running a simple MFC program (i.e. created from the Wizard & run), I cannot overwrite an existing network file. I can create new files on the network without a problem. Also, no other programs installed on my machine have this problem (notpad, Word, etc.). I have checked my network permissions and I have every permission available on the target directory with the exception of "Full Control", "Change Permissions", and "Take Ownership". Does anyo...

Summing in page footer
In my page footer section of a report I need to have a "Subtotal" which is "NonTaxable" + "TaxableNetAmt". Sometime my TaxableNetAmt will be 0. How can I make the Subtotal be the sum of NonTaxable and TaxableNetAmt? I have tried many different ways and I get #error. My control source for NonTaxable is = [NetAmount] and the control source for "TaxableNetAmt" is TaxableNetAmt. Or will be entered on teh form... THanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200706/1 On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:41:10...

Memory for rendering a report page
Does Access limit the amount of memory needed to render a report page? If so, is it possible to increase the default? Type a question (i.e., Access specifications) on help filed of access window. -- HTP Adnan If I have helped and/or answered your question, please let me know by replying or clicking question answered (below positioned ‘Yes’ button). "anthony" wrote: > Does Access limit the amount of memory needed to render a report page? > If so, is it possible to increase the default? > anthony wrote: >Does Access limit the amount of memory needed to render a r...

Center on Page

How do I get Front Page 2003 to work with Windows7
I have been using FrontPage 2003 to update our website. Last month I updated my computer to Windows7 and Office 2007. Several days later I try to log on to Front page and receive the following message : " The operating system is not presently configured to run this application. Load failed Cannont load MSO.DLL" Has anyone had a similar experience? Or any advice? Change the compatibility to Windows XP. (BTW, if you search this newsgroup, you'll see this issue has been addressed many times._ -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 -----...

insert multiple page Word document into Excel
How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the Word document? Hi this is IMHO not the way Excel will work (and I doubt this is possible) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "S.W." <S.W.@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D7087D76-A4F3-46BB-90A9-FEB054B24AEB@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view > the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the > Word doc...

The options turn to grey when I open excel files at IE
If I use another PC. It's no problem. I use Office XP. Thank you very much! My first guess is that opening excel files inside might be the problem. But I just tried it (xl2002, MSIE 6.0, and win98), and the Options were ok (except for one--statusbar). So.... What options are you writing about? And if you are opening within MSIE, you may want to stop that behavior and just open in excel. >From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Workshee...

Epson Stylus NX515 does not print, not even a Test page
I use Windows 7 and the Epson Stylus NX515 is on and the wireless light is also on. But it does not print. The documents are in the queue but do not print. Not even a test page. Here is a link to Epson trouble shooting site. Make sure when you want to print you pick your printer if there is a list of printers. "Ritter197" wrote: > I use Windows 7 and the Epson Stylus NX515 is on and the wireless light is > also on. But it does not print. The documents are in the queue but do not > print. Not even a test page. > > . > http://www.epson.com...

calculations do not update unless page is saved
I have an excel 2003 workbook with 32 tabs the first set of tabs are named according to the date 09-01-09 the last two tabs total all the important info one is 1st - 15th other is 16th - 30th on my total pages the first column is the date 09-01-09 (as Text) and i use the indirect function in my formulas to refer to the individual tab names.. everything works and calculates but it doesnt happen On-the-fly like excel usually does i have to actually hit save for any calculations to update even on the individual tabbed dates formulas like A1+A2 dont display a result untill saved.. did...

Continue page numbering from previous document while Indexing
Hi! I have a very long document that I have split into several smaller documents to work on and consequently, I have set the page numbering for each subsequent according to the last page of the previous document: "Document #1: Page 1-500" "Document #2: Page 501-750" "Document #3: Page 751-900" However, when I do Indexing in Document #2, regardless of the page number I have set up, it reverts to Page 1 when updating the Index and resets the entire page numbering in that document. How can I 'force' the Indexing to recognize the subsequent pag...

if a cell has a value greater than 0, then atomaticaly goto a seperate page for addit
Dear Help forum, I'm trying to set up a formula that will automatically move me t another sheet if a value greater than 0 is entered in certin cells. Thank you Fran -- Franks ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Frankso's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3011 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49797 A formula returns a value to the cell that holds it. It can't move you. But maybe you could use a =hyperlink() formula that would allow you to click the link and go to the ...

Office 2007 Home & Student Re-Installation Activation Key challeng
I'm having an issue with my father's copy of MS-Office Home & Student 2007. He recently had to reformat his laptop, which cleared his original installation of the software. Now, after I've reloaded the Office Suite onto his computer and move to launch any of the applications, I'm prompted for the Activation Key. I have all the orignal packaging, including the certificate of authenticity. Unfortunately, none of the numbers on the packaging can be entered into the activation key field. There is lots of detail around finding alternative MSFT phone support to ...

Why is Page Setup Comment Box blanked in Excel 2003?
I am using Excel as a database for records. I want to print out a worksheet complete with comments. WhenI use Page Setup>Sheet I find that the Comments Box is blanked out/unuseable. Can anyone explain/help. The comments option will be disabled if you access the Page Setup dialog box from the Preview window. Instead, in Normal view, choose File > Page Setup. Heyvet wrote: > I am using Excel as a database for records. I want to print out a worksheet > complete with comments. WhenI use Page Setup>Sheet I find that the Comments > Box is blanked out/unuseable. > Can any...

How do I create a poster consisting of 4 x A4 pages which get glue
I know this can be done as I have done it some yaers before. It may have been in Power Point however. As I remember I created the poster content on the word document page and then using some option/s one is able to segment the page into 4 quarters, print these and then glue them together. I am using Microsoft Office Student and Teacher 2003 Word cannot create posters - try Publisher. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP...