Copying files from virtualstore folder with script???

Using a wscript (vbs) to zip and copy user data/files to a backup folder on
the network. For some reason this user (a new client) has all his quicken
files in:
"C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Quicken\"

The script file opens a cmd windows to run the zip program. But none of the
files get copied. I figger it is a permissions issue for running the cmd
window not as an administrator.

Suggestions please as to how to open an elevated cmd windows from a vbs
script.

Current syntax: (this is called 3 times for different folders)

destFile = newFolder & "\quicken.7z"
 srcDir = "C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
Files\Quicken\Quicken Backup\*"
 Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
 oshell.Run "c:\progra~1\7-zip\7za.exe a -r " & destFile & " " & srcDir, 1,
true

The above works fine for the documents and contacts.

Guidance please.

> Using a wscript (vbs) to zip and copy user
> data/files to a backup folder on
> the network.
>For some reason

  Some reason: virtualization on Vista/7 when UAC
is enabled. Apparently Quicken is trying to write
to its own Program Files folder, and "Robert" has
UAC enabled.

  I don't generally run with restrictions, so I'm not
very familiar with the issue. But since nobody else has
offered help .... I wonder if it might work to copy
from C:\Program Files\Quicken? That's where Windows
is pretending to let Quicken write to. Maybe Windows
will also allow you to pretend to copy those files in the
same way.

> this user (a new client) has all his quicken
> files in:
> "C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Quicken\"
>
> The script file opens a cmd windows to run the zip program. But none of
the
> files get copied. I figger it is a permissions issue for running the cmd
> window not as an administrator.
>
> Suggestions please as to how to open an elevated cmd windows from a vbs
> script.
>
> Current syntax: (this is called 3 times for different folders)
>
> destFile = newFolder & "\quicken.7z"
>  srcDir = "C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
> Files\Quicken\Quicken Backup\*"
>  Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>  oshell.Run "c:\progra~1\7-zip\7za.exe a -r " & destFile & " " & srcDir,
1,
> true
>

> The above works fine for the documents and contacts.
>
> Guidance please.

mayayana
1/15/2010 3:12:09 PM
Thank you for your suggestion.

The files are actually in the virtual folder and not in the programs folder.

Obviously, the next step is to move the files and attempt to get Quicken to
access them correctly.

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana@rcXXn.com> wrote in message
>> Using a wscript (vbs) to zip and copy user
>> data/files to a backup folder on
>> the network.
>>For some reason
>
>  Some reason: virtualization on Vista/7 when UAC
> is enabled. Apparently Quicken is trying to write
> to its own Program Files folder, and "Robert" has
> UAC enabled.
>
>  I don't generally run with restrictions, so I'm not
> very familiar with the issue. But since nobody else has
> offered help .... I wonder if it might work to copy
> from C:\Program Files\Quicken? That's where Windows
> is pretending to let Quicken write to. Maybe Windows
> will also allow you to pretend to copy those files in the
> same way.
>

>> this user (a new client) has all his quicken
>> files in:
>> "C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Quicken\"
>>
>> The script file opens a cmd windows to run the zip program. But none of
> the
>> files get copied. I figger it is a permissions issue for running the cmd
>> window not as an administrator.
>>
>> Suggestions please as to how to open an elevated cmd windows from a vbs
>> script.
>>
>> Current syntax: (this is called 3 times for different folders)
>>
>> destFile = newFolder & "\quicken.7z"
>>  srcDir = "C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
>> Files\Quicken\Quicken Backup\*"
>>  Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>>  oshell.Run "c:\progra~1\7-zip\7za.exe a -r " & destFile & " " & srcDir,
> 1,
>> true
>>

>> The above works fine for the documents and contacts.
>>
>> Guidance please.

> The files are actually in the virtual folder and not in the programs
folder.

   Yes, that's what I was getting at. They would
have been put into the virtual folder because of
UAC virtualization, when Quicken tried to write to
the program folder. So I was thinking that if user
Robert can write to the virtual folder (via Quicken)
by trying to write to the program folder, then why
not copy from there by trying to copy from the
program folder? Just a thought. I don't know whether
it will work.

  It would be highly ironic if one could do such a
thing while not having permission to actually
access the virtual folder directly -- but it wouldn't
surprise me if it works that way.

0
mayayana

Excel file e mail addresses into address group list
I want to take the .csv file from excel into my outlook express address book then copy addresses (select members) into a group list. Then I want to keep that address in the group list, but erase from the address book. Hi Jack, First back up your Windows Address Book ( .WAB) Export your address book to a .csv format so that you are sure you have the formatting correct (all the fields). When you import your .csv file to the address book, you must add one more column to your Excel file and fill it with a single blank. This will generate the need comma at the end of each row -- fail...

Moving files Outlook 2003
I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does anyone know how to accomplish this move? Wayne <was2480@msn.com> wrote: > I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does > anyone know how to accomplish this move? http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm tells the files. The easiest is to simply copy your PST to the new PC, put it in some folder, giving it a name that doesn't match any other PST, make sure it's not read-only, and use Outlook's File>Open>Outlook Data File to open it. -- Brian Tillman ...

Missing Measures in .cub file created in Excel
After using Excel's Offline OLAP features which create a local cube file (.cub), many of the desired measures which I included in the wizard setup are not displayed. I'm looking for a reason for this. The data populating this cube file is from a virtual cube, so background calculations take place. I considered that those measures requiring calculation would not be included once seperated from the original virtual cube... but many calculated measures WERE included so I don't think that's the complete explination. I've varied the measures included in the .cub file...

missing public folder #2
For some reason completely unknown to me, many of the public folders dissappeared from the M drive and are no longer accessible from the Outlook clients. On the other hand, when I look at the Exchange administration program the folders are all there and the permissions seem correct. Is there any way of getting these back without doing a complete system/Exchange restore? Sounds like Joe has exactly the same problem I am describing. I did look at the EMS and all of the folders are indicated and the permissions are correct. No one touched these things. Still they do not appear on the M drive a...

how to extact a compressed file
I cannot uzip my zipped files ..Help Winnie Hello Winnie Winnie wrote: > I cannot uzip my zipped files ..Help is this a Word problem? Have you inserted ZIP files as objects in word, for instance? If not, better ask in a forum/newsgroup for your ZIP application or your operating system HTH Robert -- /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT | \ / | MVP | Scientific Reports X Against HTML | for | with Word? / \ in e-mail & news | Word | http://www.masteringword.eu/ ...

Help with message to folder delivery please
I've googled and googled and checked Windows support so I thought I would ask the experts: Using Outlook 2002 When an http email account is created in outlook 2002, it is always placed outside the "outlook today" folder. Here is what I would like to do I would like to plug in my pocket pc, synch with the desktop, and pull my hotmail emails into my pocket pc Currently I can synch with the pc just fine but the pocket pc doesn't download any new emails because it refuses to sych with anything other than the "outlook today" portion of Outlook. I have attempted seve...

Pubic Folder Store Email Address
Hi, Environment is SBS2003. Have the unusual problem that for some reason the Public Folder Store is using the SMTP address of one of our users, therefore when email is sent to the user we receive a NDR telling us there is a duplicate address is the system. Using the ldp.exe utility (The folder it is located is hidden) I've found the address is the Public Folder Store under the config directory in the active, but I do not know how to change it?? Any Help? ...

Deleted Messages in Public Folder Reappear
I'm running Exchange 2003 (6.5.6944.0) on windows 2003 sp1. We have several public folders for people to post stuff to. Most people can't delete stuff from the public folders but a few of us should be able to. However, when we delete a message it will come back, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a longer time, but it will come back. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this so deleted items don't come back. Thanks in advance, Sean In news:1124370080.162912.162640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Sean <scarmichael@ross.org> typed: > I'm running Exc...

Automatically move mail *from* Deleted Items folder
I get a lot of email that I read quickly then delete using a swift press on the delete key which drops the mail into the Deleted Items folder. However, I never want to loose the mail so I regularly move all the mail from Deleted Items into another folder for storage. Is there any way I can get Outlook 2002 to automatically move any items that arrive in Deleted Items to another folder? I can't get it to work with the Rules Wizard as it only allows me to run rules on my Inbox. Alternatively, how do I set up a method to move the mail from my Inbox to the storage folder directly without goi...

Get rid of "folder sizes" and "data file management" links
at the bottom of the folder list? I'd love to remove these to make more space available in the list. Thanks. ...

working with default data files
I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my emai to the default "personal folders" or delete that folder. Is tha possible -- g.garrett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- g.garrette's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=491 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=124989 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i g.garrette <g.garrette.2gnhe4@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote: > I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my > email to the default "personal fo...

Problem restoring backup file from money 98 to money 04
Just upgraded to a new computer with Money 2004 --- Have transferred my money back-up file to the new computer --- Everytime I try to open using Money 2004 it begins the process of converting the file and then times out (stops responding) Any ideas??? Extremely frustrating as I don't want to lose 6 years of financial data ---- Thanks How long have you waited? It could take a long time--like tens of minutes. While it is in this state, it will be "not responding." This doesn't mean it's dead, just hat it's busy. "jh227" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

How to statically linking 2 files for 32 bit and 64 bit in VC++ 2005
I am trying to statically link a xyz.lib file to my 32-bit VC++ 2005 MFC app in order to use a .sys file. I have two xyz.lib files, one for win32 and one for amd64. I know I should add the .lib file to ['Property Pages' > 'Linker' > 'Input' > 'Additional Dependencies'] But which file do I add, how do I add both files, and how do I ensure the 32-bit app can use the linked .sys on 32-bit as well as 64-bit? Thanks! Hi, Just use the 32 bit lib, your app will run on 64 bit via WOW64. 64 bit development would involve setting up a new cpu platform, whi...

Exchange 2000/2003 Public Folder item Permissions Problem
Hi all, I've been having an issue with Public Folder permissions for some time now. The folder contains contacts for all company employees (most of which aren't on the company network), and is maintained by HR. Brief history is: Had Exchange 2000 on Win Server 2000, and a previous administrator modified public folder permissions on the M drive in explorer (a no-no). This resulted in the ESM "Invalid window handle" error. Managed fix these by following KB 270905 (permissions nuke), and deleting and re-creating the public folder. The latter was a problem, as most users were ...

trouble openning file
I am drawing a blank again regarding the correct way to read files. Here is the pertinent section of code I am troubled by: CString JobFile="C:\\temp\\1.dat"; CFile in; CByteArray buffer; if(!in.Open(JobFile, CFile::modeRead)){ AfxMessageBox("Error opening file"); return; } buffer.SetSize(in.GetFileSize()); if(in.Read(buffer.GetData(), buffer.GetSize()) != buffer.GetSize()){ AfxMessageBox("Error reading file"); return; } in.Close(); When I compile I get the following error: error C2039: 'GetFileSize' : is not a member ...

Cannot copy & paste to a mailing label template
I downloaded a Christmas label template from Microsoft Office Word. After deleting "Name, Address, etc." which was on each label on the page, I then typed our address on one and tried to copy & paste so that we could have a whole page of return address labels. I just couldn't get it to work. Any suggestions? Rather than starting with a full sheet of blank labels, why not use the label wizard? Can you explain "just couldn't get it to work"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummie...

GDI+ mfc save Bitmap to File Stream
Hi, I am using GDI+ in mfc. I have a file pointer declared as File *fpOut; This file pointer is also used for writing to other text data to the file. I am not sure how to save an image to this file stream. When Bitmap.Save function to save to stream the first parameter is of type IStream and not FILE. Any suggestions on what can be done? Thanks, -Asfar ...

Can a newly created folder, be shared with other user's
New to Outlook, had been using GroupWise prior. Created additional folders with in Outlook, another calendar, another contacts folder and so on. When sharing any folder other that the default folders, the user's can not see the folders in there list. Even though, all steps followed to share the default folders were used to share the additional folders. Using MS ExchangeServer and Windows 2000 Professional. What am I missing here? To access a shared folder that isn't one of the folders listed on the File | Open | Other User's Folder dialog, the mailbox owner needs to grant Re...

Import/Export sql tables to an XML file?
Hi, How can I export/import data from SQL server tables to/from an XML file? Note: I want to tdo this from a desktop application written in c# and uses sql server tables for storing data. Is there a way to do this? Also, are there libraries that already do this? Thanx in advance... ...

How do I create Folders/Sub folders from User Form control button
I have a User Form that I would like to take one of the spare control buttons and have it set up my job folder on the hard drive. I am not sure how to code it to achive the following results: These are my text box ID's Main Folder --------------------------------------------------------------------- User Selects drive: \ CES_No_1 \ CLLI_Code_1\ TEO_No_1 Sub Folders inside Main Folder ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Completed Drawings Elec Job Folder Misc Job Documents Site Pictures If you can dig up a copy of the VBS doc...

importing excel files into outlook 2007
I did an import and it worked perfectly. I tried to ddo a second, and am receiving a message that - an error occuredwhile importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0x80070057 was reported. please try again. I have rebuild the file, changes names and still receive the same message. I looked on ms faq but can't find how to fix the problem. Can anyone help. Thanks Dick Take a look at both of these sights... http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-854669.php http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329295/EN-US/ Anvil22 wrote: >I did...

Max limit in resource.h file of VC++
Hi, We specify the next step number for the resources, commands and control by the following. _APS_NEXT_RESOURCE_VALUE _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE _APS_NEXT_CONTROL_VALUE Do we have any way to restrict the numbers or specify the max limit. eg. I want my resource to have command values from 1 to 100. So #define _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE 1 // Next command number Can I specify somewhere in the resource.h file saying 100 is the max if it goes beyond 100, throw an error? Thanks, Prashant. ...

Can't open XP file in Windows
We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. The error message is "You cannot open a file from a different version". I would appreciate any assistance on this issue. Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file || was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. || The error message is "You cannot open a file from a || different version". I would appreciate any assistance on || this issu...

Outlook 2000 Personal Folders
I have a Windows XP computer, running Office 2000. I went to send an email to a friend and when I tried to send it, it took a day and a half and never came out of my outbox. When I try to delete it, I get an access denied. When I try to go into it, I get an error message that says "Can't open this item. The MAPI Spooler has already begun transmitting this message" and then it locks up Outlook. I want to know if there is a way to delete this email. I cannot send or receive ANY emails while this one email is in my outbox. PLEASE HELP!! ...

How do I sync Signatures and folders between different machines?
I use Outlook on two different machines and the set up is not synched correctly. My home version does not update when I add new folders on the work laptop and the signatures are not saved in the home PC version. The signatures were created on the laptop and saved there. I need help!!!!!!!!!!! What type of mail account? How are you currently attempting to sync? (outlook doesn't sync without the use of third party tools) What version of Outlook? "Ben Davidson" <Ben Davidson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:708A9243-C1D4-48FD-84FE-7B37BB49FF99@...