WORD VERSUS PUBLISHER FOR NEWSLETTERS

What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?  I
noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
--
Donna
0

If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it is
to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to another.
Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I think it is
with Word.

If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
while. You'll see what I mean.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?  I
> noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
> --
> Donna

0
jl_paules (2768)
2/16/2007 4:41:11 PM
Thanks!
--
Donna

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it is
> to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to another.
> Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I think it is
> with Word.
>
> If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
> while. You'll see what I mean.
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?  I
> > noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
> > --
> > Donna

0
Donna (199)
2/16/2007 5:08:03 PM
"JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it is
> to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to
> another. Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I
> think it is with Word.
>
> If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
> while. You'll see what I mean.

    I tend to move things around on it a lot (in Publisher)  where if I
tried to set something up in Word it would probably be all over the page.

> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?  I
>> noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
>> --
>> Donna

0
starchild (273)
2/17/2007 6:08:14 PM
> Thanks!
> --
> Donna

    I don't know about the newer versions, but I have 2000 and there is a
great tutorial (series) that comes with it, in HELP.

    You can go through it and do it and get the hang of the basics (and not
so basics, now that I think of it)

     ~ Carrie

> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it
>> is
>> to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to
>> another.
>> Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I think it
>> is
>> with Word.
>>
>> If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
>> while. You'll see what I mean.
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?
>> > noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
>> > --
>> > Donna

0
starchild (273)
2/17/2007 6:09:28 PM
Isn't it horrible in Word! Word is great for some things but newsletters and
other DTP jobs, not so great. Makes you speak in colorful language.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Carrie" <starchild@kingcon.com> wrote in message

> "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it
>> is to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to
>> another. Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I
>> think it is with Word.
>>
>> If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
>> while. You'll see what I mean.
>
>    I tend to move things around on it a lot (in Publisher)  where if I
> tried to set something up in Word it would probably be all over the page.
>

>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What are the advantages of using Publisher over Word for newsletters?  I
>>> noticed Word has Newsletter templates also.
>>> --
>>> Donna

0
jl_paules (2768)
2/17/2007 7:32:41 PM
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> Isn't it horrible in Word! Word is great for some things but newsletters
> and other DTP jobs, not so great. Makes you speak in colorful language.

   I thought it was just me (LOL)

    Before I knew what Publisher was (I had Office in but just used Word)
I'd try to set things up a certain way and it would move all aroung, or just
to the next page, or something. Then I'd hear about Publisher (usually it
wasn't as good as Quark or PageMaker or something... but it does all *I*
want to do and more) and didn't know where to start, till I discovered the
tutorials in the HELP.

      I do a lot of things in Publisher now, that I use other places because
of how I can move them around. Then I take a screen shot with Paint Shop Pro
to get a jpg of it.

     ~ Carrie

> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Carrie" <starchild@kingcon.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you don't have Publisher you may never understand how much easier it
>>> is to create a newsletter with it. Articles can flow from one page to
>>> another. Working around graphics is a dream compared to the nightmare I
>>> think it is with Word.
>>>
>>> If you don't have it, download the trial and play with it for a little
>>> while. You'll see what I mean.
>>
>>    I tend to move things around on it a lot (in Publisher)  where if I
>> tried to set something up in Word it would probably be all over the page.
>>

>>> --
>>> JoAnn Paules
>>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>>
>>> ~~~~~
>>> How to ask a question
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>>

>>> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
starchild (273)
2/18/2007 1:34:58 AM
You ought to try Snag It. You will absolutely love that for screen shots,
etc. I don't know how I managed without it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> Isn't it horrible in Word! Word is great for some things but newsletters
>> and other DTP jobs, not so great. Makes you speak in colorful language.
>
>   I thought it was just me (LOL)
>
>    Before I knew what Publisher was (I had Office in but just used Word)
> I'd try to set things up a certain way and it would move all aroung, or
> just to the next page, or something. Then I'd hear about Publisher
> (usually it wasn't as good as Quark or PageMaker or something... but it
> does all *I* want to do and more) and didn't know where to start, till I
> discovered the tutorials in the HELP.
>
>      I do a lot of things in Publisher now, that I use other places
> because of how I can move them around. Then I take a screen shot with
> Paint Shop Pro to get a jpg of it.
>
>     ~ Carrie
>

>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Carrie" <starchild@kingcon.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message

>>>    I tend to move things around on it a lot (in Publisher)  where if I
>>> tried to set something up in Word it would probably be all over the
>>> page.

0
jl_paules (2768)

Emailing from Publisher #3
A friend has OFFICE 2003. Outlook and Publisher are both 2003. BEFORE I cleaned up temp files, she was able to "Send Page As Message" in Publisher. Now, she gets "Publisher cannot mail your publication because part of the mail system is missing..." All I did was delete temp files ("C:\documents and settings\[username]\local settings\temp" and "C:\windows\temp"), and run "ccleaner". I've put off the "reinstall your mail program" suggestion from the error message as I don't know if she can find the install CD... Is there any ...

'Some' Word files suddently corrupted
Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required. The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters, rather than the original English text. I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains? What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?' Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may be that the file association has been...

How do I send newslette in email without showing the publisher too
When I email my newsletter as an attachment, when you open the attachment, it takes you to the publisher program page where I built it. How can I send a "finished" newsletter out? As a .pdf file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Lifefire" <Lifefire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4E8B0FB-B033-4393-8F27-DFAAA6DD37A5@microsoft.com... > When I email my newsletter as an attachment, when you open the attachment, > it > takes you to the publisher program page w...

publisher 97 #10
I have a file that was oriniated in Publisher 97. I inadevertently opened and saved it in Publisher 2002 on a different computer(using server). Now I can't access it through 97. Is there a way to do this? Can't save as, as the files of type don't say 97. Maybe they were the same as Publisher 98 files. Worth a try. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0B451AE-ACF2-449B-8F11-4F0C16297A12@microsoft.com... > I have a file that was oriniated in Publisher 97. I inadevertently opened > and saved it in P...

Problem opening up current Excel wksht to mail merge in Word
Hi, I have Microsoft 2007. I created a list in Excel with clients' name, address, city, state, zip. Then, in Word I go to Select Recipients, locate the Excel file and click open. Here's the problem: a Select Table box appears with Sheet1$, Sheet2$, and Sheet3$ as options. clicking on any of the three results in NOTHING. Nothing at all appears! I'm not sure what the problem might be. Thank you for the help! Rachelle ...

How do I get a copy of Publisher 2002?
I'd like to get a copy of Publisher 2002. I still have Windows 98 on my computer and don't want to upgrade to XP right at this time. Other than ordering off of e-bay or other sites I'm not familiar with, is it possible to get a copy of Publisher 2002 that would be compatible with Windows 98? Amazon.com -- Don Vancouver, USA "Crystal1365" <Crystal1365@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33518C70-6D02-4E03-B9C2-2C1FDEEB4A68@microsoft.com... > I'd like to get a copy of Publisher 2002. I still have Windows 98 on my > computer and don...

Excel Charts in Word
I have a word report I need to do every month. The data and charts are in excel and the data changes monthly. How do I get the excel charts linked into a word document so that when I enter the new data in the excel spreadsheet that is automaitically updated in the report in the word docuemnt? Thanks Copy the Excel chart. In Word, use Edit menu > Paste Special, and select the Paste Link option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microso...

Defaults in Publisher 2003
Is there a way of changing defaults in Publisher 2003. Specifically I want to: * set default measurement unit to centimeters * set default border of a text box to black line, .75 pt * set Tools menu>Commercial Printing Tools>Fonts so that TrueType fonts are always embedded. Many thanks Chris ...

Problem linking excel charts in word
I have linked an excel chart into a word document by pasting special as a link. It looks fine when I paste it. I close the application and when I open it again the chart is cut off on the left, and sometimes at the top. It's as if the chart itself is off the edge of the frame it is sitting in. The chart in excel is perfectly OK. I can edit the excel chart, and edits are updated in the word document when links are updated, but it doesn't change the position of teh chart, so it's still cutting off part of the chart. The chart is on it's own sheet rather than being i...

Two users on a network editing documents simultaneously in word 20
My office just upgraded from Word 2003 to Word 2007. We are on a network and share access to Word files. In Word 2003, if one user tried to open a file in which another user was working, a message would appear stating that the file was "locked for editing by (user)." It seems that with Word 2007, any user can open a file (and edit it) while another user is doing so as well. We do not want this to be the case, and just want the settings to be as they were with Word 2003 (i.e. if a document is in use, another user cannot access it simultaneously). Ideally, we'd lik...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

How do I hyperlink directly to a section within a Word Document?
I have the need to provide html hyperlinks on our SharePoint portal that will open a Word document and go directly to specific section. I've tried creating anchored links to bookmarks within Word (docx format) but only get as far as having the document open (with a uri like http://portal/requirements.docx#anchor) but it doesn't navigate to the bookmark. Since some of these documents can be quite large, jumping directly to the use case is important. Has anyone else successfully done something like this? Any help is appreciated, Don ...

Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007
We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message box. We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get the above error. Hi Veera, ...

Publisher Mail merge #2
Trying to inport a file from Excel2000 into Publisher( 2000) for a mail merge. Once I choose the correct file it keeps telling me that the named range is invalid. What does this mean and how do I name it? If you told us what version of Windows you were using it would have been a great help. Do a SAVE AS in Excel to CSV (Comma Separated Values) and use that file to merge with Publisher. Also go to www.microsoft.com/data and update your MDAC components -- If you told us what version of Windows you were using it would have been a great help. Do a SAVE AS in Excel to CSV (Comma Separ...

Re: is MS Publisher compatible with Word?
<<Can you use Word to edit Publisher files?>> No. Mac Townsend Adcom Graphics, Fairfield, C A www.adcomgraphics.com Powered by the E-mail PIM - Info Select - www.miclog.com ...

Published pivot tables, with interactivity, only work once
I am using Office 2000 & Windows 2000. I publish a pivot table, with "interactivity", to a server via a mapped drive. If I ask, when I Publish, that it 'show in browser', all is OK, but that is about all that seems to work. I have tried both extracting directly from an Access database and building & saving a cube, then working from that. I have saved the various elements both on the client PC & the Web server. I have even done the whole thing on the server. All very confusing & I cannot really identify the root problem, but the 2 main issues whe...

Copying file from publisher & excel into website template
I volunteer for a learning school for disabled kids and need help! I have a file-literature piece-front & back covers that I'm trying to clip & paste into a website template.When I copy it, I paste only single boxes-publisher will not allow me to clip the entire page????? Also, how do you copy excel files into website templates? anyone know how to transfer the whole page w/backgrd? You can go to Edit > Select All, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the "group" icon, copy and then paste into the other document. As per the background, don't use a maste...

Copying in Publisher
Hello, I am trying to combine several publisher and word files into one large publisher document. For the single publisher files I am just trying to copy the content from the single file to the larger file, but I am having a lot of trouble. The content that I copy from the small file is not pasted correctly in the larger file. The colors are completely different (green is pasted as blue, beige is pasted as orange) and all of the text boxes keep their size but the font is changed. Also it seems like some of the text boxes are linked together across multiple pages. For example, if I...

In Word 2007, I want to enable tabbing between fields in my .docm
In Developer Mode, how can I set the properties of my fields to support tabbing from one field to another in my Word form? What kind of "fields" did you insert? If they're form fields from the Legacy Controls button, you have to turn off Design Mode and then protect the document for forms. Either click the Protect Document button and go through the Restrict Formatting pain/pane, or add the Lock command to your Quick Access Toolbar. If they're content controls (the other buttons in the Controls group), tabbing between controls other than a Rich Text control w...

publisher #54
i have designed a flyer in publisher & need to format it so when it is sent as an e-flyer, it is protected & can't be changed ?? How about making a gif image and insert that into your e-mail. -- Don ------- Vancouver, USA "gwendoline" <gwendoline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC12D43D-5C30-4974-9A42-323B17AAACBB@microsoft.com... >i have designed a flyer in publisher & need to format it so when it is sent > as an e-flyer, it is protected & can't be changed ?? Use .pdf. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~...

What's the best format for pictures used in Publisher?
This thread suggests PNG is the preferred format: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.prepress&tid=a70b836f-f21b-44c1-a361-66ba89766785&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1 What's the best format? 1. TIFF 2. PNG 3. JPG Also, is it better to LINK the picture or EMBED the picture? Mr. Analogy wrote: > What's the best format? > 1. TIFF > 2. PNG > 3. JPG PNG is best for non-photographic data or data that need to be modified many times. JPEG is a good format for photographic data that is not modified...

Problem With Word Finding Outlook Contact Lists For Email Merge
I am having a problem getting word (Small Business 2003) to find the current contact database lists in my Outlook . For some reason or another when I am asked by the merge wizard to select a contact list from the contact list folder I am presented with old or deleted lists. I have done this operation many times before so I am baffled why this should just happen. If anyone is interested please email me at tonyisburntout@yahoo.com and I will be more than happy to send of a word document with the relevent screen shots. Any and all help would be appreciated. Best to start mail merges from inside...

Problem in publishing website
I have ajax controls on my website.After publishing the website,the home page run successfully but it will display the error as Sys.Webforms. PageRequestManager Server Exception:An unknown error occured while processing the request on the server.The status code returned from the server was 500. How can i rectify that error.Can anyone know means please reply me.Thanks in advance ...

jpeg picture appears blurry in a Publisher document
Why does a JPEG picture appear blurry in my Publisher document yet when I insert the same JPEG picture into a Word document it is crystal clear? What am I doing wrong? Donna wrote: > Why does a JPEG picture appear blurry in my Publisher document yet when I > insert the same JPEG picture into a Word document it is crystal clear? What > am I doing wrong? Check the options in View > Pictures. Is the setting at "Fast Resize and Zoom"? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

How do I send publisher files others without publisherto edit
How can I send my publisher file to someone else to edit and does not have publisher? You can't... Try copying/pasting into a Word document. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "c ball" <c ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA93148F-5CBE-4771-9E44-C0AF216FAFDD@microsoft.com... > How can I send my publisher file to someone else to edit and does not have > publisher? Or, if it does not need to be edited, save as a PDF and send in that format "Mary Sauer" wrote: ...