Why does Publisher insert a leading space when pasting text?

When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select
all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
> beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/20/2006 2:32:08 PM
Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.  I
did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying "At
the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is to
indent the first line by one space.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select
> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
> > beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

The same paragraph dialogue has indentation, are all the options set to zero?

Edit, Find, input a space, don't input anything in the Replace. Publisher will
scroll though when you click Find Next, click replace to rid yourself of the
unwanted space.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.  I
> did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
> character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying "At
> the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is to
> indent the first line by one space.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box,
>> select
>> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
>> > beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/20/2006 10:07:30 PM
I raised this problem in this newsgroup sometime last year and was informed
it was a bug!

If it's just a small amount of text it's easy to alter manually but if there
is a lot then this is what I do:

Create a text box in the scratch area then: Insert, Text File and navigate
to the Word document and ok it. This brings in the file with no spaces at
the start of paragraphs. You can then copy and paste from this text box to
your publication.

Meggie

"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> The same paragraph dialogue has indentation, are all the options set to
> zero?
>
> Edit, Find, input a space, don't input anything in the Replace. Publisher
> will scroll though when you click Find Next, click replace to rid yourself
> of the unwanted space.
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.
>> did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
>> character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying
>> "At
>> the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is
>> indent the first line by one space.
>>
>> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>>
>>> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box,
>>> select
>>> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>>
>>> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Selection copy and insert to other sheet (Macro)
Any body help with a macro please........ I have selected two cells from a row from sheet1 Is there any way to copy those cells go to Sheet2 and insert a blank row in A1 and paste those infor on B3 tks in advance The macro recorder will give you the necessary code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:32:01 -0700, RE: VLOOKUP fORMULA <REVLOOKUPfORMULA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Any body help with a macro please........ > > >I have selected two cells from a row from sheet1 > >Is there any way to copy those cells >g...

Publisher 2000 won't give consecutive page numbers...how to fix?
I've tried to print consecutive page numbers following the directions in Publisher. I didn't type a page number into the text box; however, I did change what number to begin using. Each page has the same number. ...

Extracting Text in a string of text
Happy Holidays to All! How do I extract a concatenated field so I have exactly what I need. I've used the Left and Right functions, but I need to extract more precisely without having to guess the number of characters. For example: New York, NY 10019 I want to extract out the "NY" or the state. How do I do that given I may have multiple city and states? Thanks for any help:confused: -- walkerdayle ------------------------------------------------------------------------ walkerdayle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10021 View ...

comment text box
I usually insert comments in almost every cell. When the comment text box opens it always come with my name. If I delete my name in Tools/options/general/user name, the comment text box opens with S_User instead of my name. If I change my name for , let us say, a point, the comment text box opens with ":." How can I do to make this comment text box open completely blank and without formating? TIA -- Edgard Kniriem Debra Dalgleish has provided code for this. Copy/paste the code to your workbook or Personal.xls. Assign the macro to a button and use that button to insert a comme...

Copy/Paste a file name to clipboard
Hi, If the user copies a file from explorer, what is the clipboard value for that item? I mean how could I retrieve the path of the item the user is trying to paste? Many thanks. Sims if (OpenClipboard(NULL) != FALSE) { HANDLE hText = GetClipboardData(CF_TEXT); if (NULL != hText) { LPTSTR lpText = GlobalLock(hText); GlobalUnlock(hText); } CloseClipboard(); } "Sims" <siminfrance@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uFUqeVhmDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > If the user copies a file from explorer, what is the clipboard...

carrying xml name spaces across nested elements
Hi. By persistence, I've discovered that when several nested elements in a schema are each qualified by a namespace, I can successfully reference them in a select statement by qualifying each element by its namespace in succession. For example, for a schema that qualfies each element in a nested series "command, heading, pivot table" by "xs", I can use an xpath statement like "//xs:command/xs:heading/ xs:pivotTable" to select the pivot table node. I figure that when all the name space qualifications are identical, there's some way to carry the namespac...

'insert file' missing file types (not all showed)
Hi there, I'm facing a puzzling Outlook 2003 problem so I'm trying the forum to see if anyone encountered similar behaviour and/or found a solution. On 'a couple' of workstations in the company there is a problem when users try to attach files in their e-mails. Not all file types are displayed in the 'insert file' dialog box (yes, *.* selected). For instance .zip files are not displayed. There is no problem receiving these kind of attachments! There is only a problem when trying to select these files as attachment using the 'insert file' dialog. We use ...

Delete Duplicate Text
I have a work book inside this workbook there are 7 work sheets (one for each day). Each sheet uses columns A, B, C, D I have sheet call weekly all in formation in this sheet from the 7th everything work fine only one column it has text and there are several duplicate. Example : clinic A, clinic B, clinic A How to remove the duplicate from this column to be like this : clinic A, clinic b and so on other Questions I am using this function to get week number =WEEKNUM(C12,1) is there any way to get it work Is that possible and if so can someone please help with the formula for making thi...

Importing text files (PowerToy?)
So far, I have yet to see the capability in OneNote to import a text file into a note, or better yet a series of text files into individual notes. Anyone willing to contemplate the creation of a PowerToy for this? Or is it something in OneNote 2010 that I've so far missed seeing? //Steve// Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS Wildomar, California, USA Email: steve.silverwood@gmail.com I wrote one for English at http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/04/30/customer-feedback-results-in-another-powertoy.aspx it needs to be extended for other languages, so feel free to hop in! ...

combining dates and text in a cell
Hello-- I had a column with dates and another with text labels. I'd like to combine these and tried using this formula: =D6&" "&I6 D6 = 7/4/2009 I6 = HOLIDAY Is there any way to do this to get the actual date and not the numberical value returned? Thanks in advance for your help. try =TEXT(D6,"m/d/yy ") & I6 Notice that I've included the space for separation as part of the format for the date, saving a little complexity of the formula. You can, of course, use other formats for the date to get it displayed differently, s...

Office 2000 pasting multiple excel pages into Word-
Hi Folks, Per the subject, I have an excel file with 400 plus rows of data, and the page setup is set to repeat four rows at the top of each page when printed. Is there any way to paste the rows into Word so that it retains the "repeat the rows at top of every page" when it breaks across the pages in Word? If there is I have not found a way. Thanks As you say the Excel data is breaking across pages, I assume that you are pasting the cells into word using a simple paste, in which case it is actually being converted to a Word table so that you can use Word's ...

How can I insert a period into exsisting cells?
Hello, Is it possible to insert a period into the middle of a string of numbers? I have 800 numbers I need to change in A1 to A801. Can I do this without having to retype the entire column? Here's an example: I need to change 26150G to 26.150G Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You JM What's the rule where to insert it, will it always be inserted after the 2 character like in 23.150G or what would the rule be? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF2F50AE-CA95-4C24-A191-CAF7D...

Can't Paste
I want to insert some pages from a book in a PowerPoint presentation. Because the contain graphics, tables, charts, and images, 'regular paste' does not work. Usually, I 'paste special' and paste grouped objects as an enhanced metafile and it works like a charm. However, my clipboard is giving me trouble this morning and I keep getting 'busy' messages which is a problem in itself... Anyway, I'm trying to use the handy 'save as picture' feature in Pub2003. I am trying to save a group of objects as a picture in Publisher 2003. I can save them as a JPEG...

Select Text with Similar Formatting is not enabled
In Word 2007, I have several instances of text formatted with small caps. I should be able to click inside one of the formatted words and from the Select menu, Select Text with Similar Formatting. However, that option is greyed out / disabled. Does anyone know why and what the fix is? Thank you! I found the answer: Keep Track of Formatting must be enabled in Word Advanced Options. "Trudy" wrote: > In Word 2007, I have several instances of text formatted with small caps. I > should be able to click inside one of the formatted words and from the Select ...

lost a Publisher 2002 file! How can I restore?
Not sure how it happened, but I got an error message when opening my Publisher document. NOW, although it's visible on my desktop, I can't open it. I'm still getting the same error message -yikes! How do I restore? Error message continues to say..."Microsoft Publisher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Linda what happens if you try and open another Publisher file? What version of Windows are you using? What is the full error message. Normally you can click on details and copy and paste the details into a message h...

Marking text to not be spell checked? Word2010
I have somehow marked a large portion of my documents with, "Do not check spelling and grammar" HOw do I unmark it so it checks all not just some of my work? Perhaps 2007 to 2010 has done so>????? Use Ctrl+A to select everything in the document, then go to the Review tab and from the Language section of the ribbon, click on the Language pulldown and then select Set Proofing Language and uncheck the "Do not check spelling or grammar" box (You will need to click on it twice if it is a square blue box when you access that dialog) -- Hope this helps. Pl...

Book publishing: large, small file
I am editing what amounts to a book, about 400 pages, about 250 photographs. Word was just not doing a good job with the placement of pictures, so I wanted to start using a desktop publisher. So far Publisher 2003 has been sort of a trying experience to learn after using Word for many years. It never imported my Word document right for probably a number of reasons. So I was doing it the cut-and-paste way, about 20 pages at a time, with both Word and Publisher open at the same time. It seemed to have a problem with the pictures (so I removed them all), with the headers and footers (so I...

Repeat random numbers from a range and text
I am new at this, I need to create 2 different types of randomness, one of numbers and one of text selections. #1 a range of numbers, i.e, 134-2807 that allows repeat of numbers with a return of only 25 numbers. This random option is use daily so I need to be able to create a worksheet where each day only the range is changed, (without having to key the each number of the range to a separate row line) #2 a range of 5 process types, i.e, data, irsdat, ardat, ispdat, dsldat, where 3 processes are selected daily from the 5 listed which allows repeat of processes. I reviewed the RAND and RANDBE...

How do I change macro text with another macro?
Hello, I have a set of workbooks that all have a similar macro in them. Each of these macros contains a string I need to change, but to change it manually in each file is time prohibitive - 60+ files. Given I already have one of these files open with a seperate macro, from the seperate macro, how do I access the module - say Module1, search for the line that contains the text needing to be changed, change it and then close the file? I already have the list of files and the loop to go through all of them. I am just unclear on how to change the Module1/Macro text from another macro. Any ide...

Excel 2007
Hi, I am hoping that someone can help me with two problems I am having in Excel 2007. The functionality of copying and pasting to and from filtered lists seems to be different from what I experienced in Excel 2003. Problem 1) Copying (with Ctrl-C) from one column in a filtered list into another column in the filtered list (with Ctrl-V) When I copy with Ctrl-C it selects the cells in the list that are visible (which is what I want) but when I paste those over another column in the same filtered list (I have not changed the filter settings) it pastes the data over cells that are not visible i...

If or something else for Partial Text Extraction/Reference
Hi there, I have a group of companies : ABC Corp. XYZ Insurance EFG Ltd. OPQ Private Ltd. LMN Insurance IJK Corp. I want to put a function the column in front of this list. This colum would have to say "INS" in case it finds the "word" INSURANCE in thi list. "CORP" if it finds "Corp." and so forth. Can anyone assist? Thank you Sac -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try something like =IF(ISNUMBER(Find("Corp",B1)),"Corp",IF(ISNUMBER(FIND ("Ins",B1)),"Ins","Other")) >-----Origin...

Can someone give me a shortcut to download publisher 2003 as im n.
new at this and i want to make up some business cards, or what is the best download for this. cheers blondie74 wrote: > new at this and i want to make up some business cards, or what is the best > download for this. cheers Microsoft doesn't offer a Microsoft Publisher 2003 download (unless you are an MSDN Subscriber or similar). You can buy Publisher 2003 at the following link, or visit your local Best Buy/Comp USA. http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=5771d748-0aa7-4955-88e9-7ac0fec940df&type=ovr -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP ...

Attachments have lost descriptive text, which now appears embedded in email text
Thanks in advance, if anyone has a suggestion. Attachments downloaded from a list serve used to display fine (subject of the attachment). Something changed. Now attachments are displayed as a list or array, of incomprehensible attachment titles. Within the text of the email there IS a list of the attachments. I now have to find the correct attachment within the body of the email, count and see what number the attachment is (like #3 of 4 attachments) and then count along the list of attachments outside the message box and open that attachment number. What a pain! I tried righ...

Formatted text in multiple lines in CListCtrl
I would like to know how can I display formatted text (Different fonts and colors) in multiple lines in a single cell in CListCtrl icon view. I have seen samples on codeproject/codeguru that deals with changing text color/font. But I would like to display formatted text (e.g: Some bold text and some different color in multiple lines in a single cell) along with an icon in each cell. How can I achieve this using CListCtrl? If not, can you please suggest any alternative solutions? Thanks in advance. Sounds like you need an owner-draw control. Then you can do pretty much anything you want. ...

In Publisher my photo cuts in half and prints double, help!
I can enter photos on my flyer created in Publisher and then when I go to enter my personal photo it takes the photo when printing and cuts it in half and doubles it in the photo box. When I preview it before I print it, it looks just fine and it only does it for the one photo and it is always the agent's photo. We are in real estate. I would be happy to fax anyone a sample so you can see exactly what I am talking about so that you could help me! I have Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. Pictures print multiple times in a Publisher 2003 publication http://support.microsoft.com/def...