Was told could use this for creating a book

Before I bought Publisher I was told I could use it for
creating a book.  But, now that I got it, I don't see any
options for that.  ie creating the cover or the pages.
Also, I was told it was better to write the book in Word
then import it into Publisher.  But, my book is 5.5 X 8.5
and everytime I try to import after I have configured
Publisher pages it gets changed to 8.5 X 11.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,

Markis
0
anonymous (74722)

I tried changing the Page Setup (Pub 2003) to "booklet" and it stayed 5�" x
8�". Have you tried changing your printer's output as well as your page
setup? What steps have you taken? Why don't you think you can create the
cover? What features were you trying to use but couldn't find?

Also, ignore the naysayers - Publisher will be just fine.

--
JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher

"Markis Landis Gardner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1c2c801c421ba$e0fe91b0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Before I bought Publisher I was told I could use it for
> creating a book.  But, now that I got it, I don't see any
> options for that.  ie creating the cover or the pages.
> Also, I was told it was better to write the book in Word
> then import it into Publisher.  But, my book is 5.5 X 8.5
> and everytime I try to import after I have configured
> Publisher pages it gets changed to 8.5 X 11.
>
> Any help or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Markis

0
jl_amerson (3088)
4/14/2004 1:01:31 AM
"Markis Landis Gardner"
> Before I bought Publisher I was told I could use it for
> creating a book.  But, now that I got it, I don't see any
> options for that.  ie creating the cover or the pages.
> Also, I was told it was better to write the book in Word
> then import it into Publisher.  But, my book is 5.5 X 8.5
> and everytime I try to import after I have configured
> Publisher pages it gets changed to 8.5 X 11.
>
> Any help or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Markis

It really depends on your definition 0f "a book"
If it is a smallish booklet then just do it all in Publisher
but if its a real book with table of contents and foot notes
and end notes and indexes then Word is most likely a better
choice for the whole job
Publisher is great for flyers and things of all sorts with
boxes for text and pictures that you might want to move in
relation to each other but I don't believe it was ever
intended for Real Books.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

0
Greentest1 (225)
4/14/2004 1:38:07 AM
Creating it in Word then importing into Publisher could be about as
dumb/stupid as it can get.

Each page for a recipe book should be a separate Text Frame.

Convert by doing a SAVE AS in Word and save as TEXT, then create your
Publisher file with Booklet option, then do your front cover and anything
else you want, then copy and paste your recipes into separate Text Frames on
each page.  Normally it would pay to keep the ingredients and recipe
instructions as separate items.  A TABLE is the ideal option for the
ingredients.

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/14/2004 2:00:47 AM
Hi Markis Landis Gardner (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Before I bought Publisher I was told I could use it for
|| creating a book.  But, now that I got it, I don't see any
|| options for that.  ie creating the cover or the pages.
|| Also, I was told it was better to write the book in Word
|| then import it into Publisher.  But, my book is 5.5 X 8.5
|| and everytime I try to import after I have configured
|| Publisher pages it gets changed to 8.5 X 11.

You can create a book, but be prepared for some manual labor doing so. If
you wanted a book creator out of the box, with automation, etc, Corel
Ventura is your product.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
4/14/2004 1:11:19 PM
How do I create the cover.  Note:  This is a perfect=20
bound book which means there is an edge (forgot technical=20
term)...so how do I do the cover with the 1/2" edge?

I am finding that I have to import 1 page at a time.  I=20
tried to copy paste an entire document and it did it all=20
on one page.

Thanks,

Markis

and it stayed 5=BD" x
>8=BD". Have you tried changing your printer's output as=20
well as your page
>setup? What steps have you taken? Why don't you think=20
you can create the
>cover? What features were you trying to use but couldn't=20
find?

>Also, ignore the naysayers - Publisher will be just fine.
>
>--=20
>JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>

>"Markis Landis Gardner"=20
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>message news:1c2c801c421ba$e0fe91b0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Before I bought Publisher I was told I could use it for
>> creating a book.  But, now that I got it, I don't see=20
any
>> options for that.  ie creating the cover or the pages.
>> Also, I was told it was better to write the book in=20
Word
>> then import it into Publisher.  But, my book is 5.5 X=20
8.5
>> and everytime I try to import after I have configured
>> Publisher pages it gets changed to 8.5 X 11.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Markis
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
4/15/2004 1:57:30 AM
Markis, you are exasperating in the extreme, and you need to be thankful I
am such a patient charming helpful person that displays and shows mercy on
others.

Markis, you create the cover in a different file, which means a new file
that is the cover only.

If you copy and paste into a Text Frame, and there is a greater amount of
text than will fit, Publisher will pop up a box asking you if it wants you
to let it create more pages and text frames automatically.  This function
works well.

You are also substantially better have a Text Frame selected and then using
the menu INSERT > TEXT FILE

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/15/2004 2:19:21 AM
On 15 Apr 2004 12:19, "MSPublisher" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote:
>Markis, you are exasperating in the extreme, and you need to be
>thankful I am such a patient charming helpful person that displays and
>shows mercy on others.

Bawahahahahahhahahahahahahaha
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

bkvalheim (1291)
4/15/2004 5:19:57 AM
Sorry, I am lost, I don't see how that will do the piece
between the covers (sorry forgot the technical term.
I am going to have a 144 page book and this middle piece
will be about 1/2 in.

Sorry for not understanding and thanks for your patience.

Markis

0
anonymous (74722)
4/15/2004 10:37:42 AM
Brian K you having a fit or something there?
Do you need help?

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/15/2004 11:08:36 AM
Markis ok, OK, lets go back a step or two or three.
Markis they told you to buy Publisher to do your book - great - no issue.
What they did not tell you is that life is not meant to be easy.
You will need to convert the finished document to PDF and find a printer who
has QUITE Imposing or EnFocus etc. etc.

You will use normal consecutive pages in Publisher and NOT Booklet format.

The large majority of printers today handle PDF files and have no issue
imposing the file to suit their needs.  Just find a printer that is going to
do the book for you and make sure what I have told you is correct for their
needs.  Don't take any crap from printers as there are plenty of them out
there, but as an industry they like to make things as difficult and awkward
for you as they can.  Just go and find another printer if they give you any
crapiola.

Is the book colour or B&W?

Don't hesitate to post back, as I am patience personified.  I should be
beatified by the Catholic church!!!

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/15/2004 11:16:04 AM
"Markis Gardner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:1cd7b01c422d5$aead06d0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I am lost, I don't see how that will do the piece
> between the covers (sorry forgot the technical term.
> I am going to have a 144 page book and this middle piece
> will be about 1/2 in.
>
> Sorry for not understanding and thanks for your patience.

I do not understand how you think you can print a cover to
go outside a stack of folded 8.5" by 11" paper from a piece
of 8.5 x 11 paper.
In fact BOOKLET means bookLET and 144 pages will not fold
very well any way because page 3 and 143 (or some such) need
to have that same 1/2 inch in the fold etc.
From one of your other posts you seem to want 144 single
pages to stack and bind then wrap the spine with a cloth
tape or similar.
So you should print full page but it might take some
fiddling to get the layout correct..

0
Greentest1 (225)
4/15/2004 11:25:18 AM
John with Perfect Binding the cover is normally laminated.

Saddle stitching is normally used up to a maximum of 86 pages.

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/15/2004 2:07:53 PM
Markis,

Have you talked to your printer yet? Since Mac joined the newsgroup, I've
learned to appreciate the role that a printer will play in any project. Ask
your printer for his advice.

--
JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher

"Markis Gardner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I am lost, I don't see how that will do the piece
> between the covers (sorry forgot the technical term.
> I am going to have a 144 page book and this middle piece
> will be about 1/2 in.
>
> Sorry for not understanding and thanks for your patience.
>
> Markis

0
jl_amerson (3088)
4/15/2004 3:19:12 PM
JLA do you like the sound of your own voice?

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/15/2004 3:27:15 PM
Not really but I hear it differently than others. How about you? I'll bet
you do.

--

"���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message
> JLA do you like the sound of your own voice?
>
> --
>
> "If you don't know where you are going,
> any road will take you there!"

0
jl_amerson (3088)
4/15/2004 5:03:56 PM
"���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in
message news:uSoiQMvIEHA.520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> John with Perfect Binding the cover is normally laminated.
>
> Saddle stitching is normally used up to a maximum of 86
pages.

> --
Sorry I did not realize PERFECT was particular type of
binding.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

0
Greentest1 (225)

Using code to insert different formulas
[Excel 2003] I have sixteen different conditions which can exist. These relate to whether certain aspects are TRUE or FALSE. When taken together I have 16 unique "cases". These appear in cells A1:A60 and are labeled Condition1, 2, 3 etc... Condition16 Depending on the condition in each cell in column A, I need certain formulas to operate in adjacent cells in colomn B and C For example for Condition1 in A1, I need the formula in B1 to be "=D1*E1" and the formula in C1 to be "F1*G1/H1" Each formula referes to cells in the same row, so perh...

How do I print numbered tickets using a business card format?
Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per card? I need to print 250. You need to setup a consecutive numbered data base to merge from. There is an Excel way here, it is about the same in Access http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "pattyv" <pattyv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA0BEB24-39BB-4E0E-81A4-5266E6CF1242@microsoft.com... > Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per > card? I nee...

Using Windows 2003 Web Edition as Front End
Hi, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the Web Edition of Windows Server to install an Exchange OWA/RPC over HTTP Proxy front-end? Thanks, Alec Exchange is not supported on Web Edition; Exchange will not even install on it. I have never tried to install the RPC/HTTP Proxy service, but I'll bet it won't. Here is some more info on the limitations of Web Edition (they don't mention the RPC/HTTP proxy. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx or http://tinyurl.com/ypah -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Stuff: ...

Converting Lead
We seems to have a problem with our CRM system where someone tries to "Convert a Lead" and clicks the "Open newly created record(s)" checkbox. The system will convert the lead, but it will NOT open the newly created records. At first I thought it was a Pop-Up block issue, but I tried it myself with all Pop-Up blocking turned OFF and it still is happening. Any Ideas? Regards, Eric S. On the subject line I meant - "Not Working"... "Eric S." wrote: > We seems to have a problem with our CRM system where someone tries to > "Convert a ...

strange way to subscibe to an event without explicitly using the EventHandler
Hi! Below is a snippet of a class Test Normally when you use events and want to subscribe to an event you use statement like this timer.Tick += new EventHandler(t_Tick); In the class below you can subscribe to an event by writing this statement timer.Tick += t_Tick; instead and skip the delegate EventHandler and it works and I'm very surprised. So can somebody explain why it't possible to subscribe to an event by using this statement timer.Tick += t_Tick; public partial class Test : Form { private Timer timer; public Test() { ...

Address book for OWA
Well I have completed an installation of Exchange 2003 enterprise. All is working well and have 50 accounts setup. My question is many of the users like to use the OWA portion while out on the road and would like to have their desktop address book ( contact folder )sync to the web mail address book. I searched many Admin books on this subject but have not found a answer either way. I posted a messege some time back on a different Exchange forum and was told when I did search from OWA on my desktop that it would search my Outlook and yes it works. It would be nice for my clients to be...

Cannot create new? In all office 2003 applications
Everything in office 2003 Pro - excel, ppt, even outlook many functions are greyed out all of a sudden. I tried installing and reinstall outlook and that didnt change anything. Also one thing I noticed was that when I reinstalled office 2003 (done thru cd, and add/remove) it still had my settings stored when I installed it again, like mu email accounts,k emails were intact. Any ideas, why am i having this grrey out, worked fine until yesterday. Could you do a Restore on your system? "Vakul" wrote: > Everything in office 2003 Pro - excel, ppt, even outlook many functions a...

Open a form using a comand button on another form
By using a command button on a certain form I am oppenig an other form at a cetain record by using some criteria. I am using the command button wizard to do that. When the form oppens however, I want to be able to move to other records of the form record source. Is there an easy way to do that? Thanks in advance Michalis Instead of passing the criteria in the WhereCondition, pass it in OpenArgs instead. Then use the form's Load event to FindFirst in the RecordsetClone, and set the Bookmark. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http:/...

Document Window Using Word
Normally -- when I go into word -- for word processing the screen comes up with a blank page -- with a blue border around it. Recently, the page has been smaller and longer with no blue border. Could someone help me to correct this problem? My thanks to you. Gabuie Sounds like the default accidentally got changed from Page Layout view to perhaps Normal view. If you change it back (View | Page Layout), it should save it for the future. If that doesn't work, what version of Word? DM "GA BUIE" wrote: > > Normally -- when I go into word -- for word processing the &...

Specify DLL version when using mc.exe, rc.exe and/or link.exe
Folks I'm creating a single entry DLL for the OS application event log so developers and admin types don't get that ugly message when looking at errors in the event log. I've got the following make file which is working but I see the dll produced does not have a version property like most DLLs and EXEs. Any ideas on how to do such? Any better newsgroups/forums to ask this question? del "test.dll" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin\mc.exe" MsgFile.mc "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin\rc" -r -fo MsgFile.r...

Address books sync question
Hi I have a Forest with one domain and severals Exchange 2003 servers. Now, we need to add the address list of another company that is from a different country. They have a differnt forest with adomain and Exchange 2000. How can I add the address list of the other company ? Can the other company have our address list ? Is this address list "relation" online ? thanks Check the software from www.cps-systems.com . Simple-Sync shoudl do what you want. -------------------------- Martin Tuip MVP Exchange Exchange 2000 List owner www.exchange-mail.org www.sharepointserver.com ...

How do I create a mailing list with current data in Excel?
I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that can be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:095EF751-B349-4C6C-BA5B-9D91ADF7DA9E@microsoft.com... >I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that >can > be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? ...

access 2007 use the old query builder format
Is it possible to use the query wizard builder format to edit existing queries in stead of the SQL format, if so how is it enabled Granpa _rb wrote: > Is it possible to use the query wizard builder format to edit existing > queries in stead of the SQL format, if so how is it enabled The only thing that would prevent it from being used is if your sql included syntax that can't be rendered in the design grid. Some examples of these are: - union queries - non-equi-joins (>, <, >=, <=, LIKE) - joins in which functions need to be used to make the join work (tbl...

Using pictures in report
I have a report that prints over 100 pictures, from 2-10 pictures per record. In order to accomplish this with Access 2003, I saved the pathname for the pictures, exported the data to Excel and then used Publisher to make the actual report. If I were to use 2007, would I be able to do this report within Access, or would it be better to continue exporting the data, and doing the report in Publisher? Hope this makes sense. -rg You can do it with any version of Access back to version 2.0. Simply add a subreport with a record for each path, and an image control (or previous to Access 97, a...

How to Configure Outlook to Use a Yahoo! POP3 Account?
I did everything to put my yahoo! account in the Outlook, but it shows errors. I went to the Yahoo.com and did everything and didn't work. Help me please... Are you using their premium service or the free one? What version of Outlook are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I did everything to put my yahoo! account in the Outlook, | but it shows errors. I went to the Yahoo.com and did | everything ...

Query Using Variable Table Sources
I've got a reasonably simple application that I want to dumb down further for a novice user. We recieve quarterly data in three Excel files of which we combine into a single tab and inport and keep as a separate table, "just in case" we want to look at history. Currently we name the tables "FYnnQn" and then the former user created separate reports from each quarterly table. I'd like to have a query ask for user input of "FYnnQn" and then report off of that, instead of growing the number of reports and forcing the new user to copy and edit reports. Ea...

why I can serialize a class without using [Serializable]?
I have written a class in C# and I have serilized into a file .I read somewhere that if you want a class to be serializble you must add an attribute called [Serializable] before the class and within the namespace,I didn't do that but I could serialize it using the following code: try { XmlSerializer s = new XmlSerializer( typeof( EnviroVars) ); s.Serialize( fs, enviromental_Vars ); } catch(Exception ee) { MessageBox.Show(ee.Message + "**" + ee.StackTrace + "**" + ee.Source); } finally { fs.Close(); } thanks for your help [Serializable] is for runtime s...

Open form with arguments
In main form: Private Sub btnOpen_Click() DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEmployee", acNormal, , , acFormAdd, acWindowNormal, "Alan" End Sub In second form: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) Dim empName As String empName = Forms!frmEmployee.OpenArgs <-- runt time error If Len(empName ) > 0 Then MsgBox empName Else MsgBox "null" End If End Sub The runtime error was: Invalid use of NULL "Alan T" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u8mI8acnHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > empName = Forms!frmE...

How do I copy a graph and use the data in the new worksheet?
I have new data in different worksheets all with the same data format. I want to make the same graph in each worksheet using the data in that worksheet but I was hoping not to have to recreate the graph and select all the data in each worksheet. Is there a way to do this as long as the data is in the same place in each worksheet? Copy the sheet with the chart. The chart points to the new sheet's data. Copy a new set of data, and paste it over the data that the chart is pointing to, and the chart will update. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Service...

What Outlook Rules are in use
Is there a way I can tell what Rules users on my Exchagne 2000 server may be using? Ideally, I would like to have a list of all my users and a description of the rules that they are using. ...

Add comments to your excel sheet using SpotNote
SpotNote 3.1 is a commenting tool that allows the user to post electronic notes directly to the documents they are editing. Cut out secondary documentation and emails to describe what you changed in a document for a team member or co-worker. SpotNote also Merges IM with E-Sticky Notes BCI announces the addition of SpotLAN to its highly rated electronic note software, SpotNote� 3.1. SpotLAN allows the business user to send custom sticky notes instantly across their corporate LAN environment to another computer's desktop. SpotLAN solves the problem of moving from your desk or making a p...

Can I use Outlook 2007 with Office 2000 Professional?
I have Office 2000 and I need Outlook 2003 or higher. What is the most cost effective way to achieve this? Thanks. Install Office 2000 w/out Outlook 2000 in folder: c:\program files\microsoft office 2000 Install Outlook 2003 in folder: c:\program files\microsoft office 2003 Just keep in mind that when you mix and match versions that you will have some compatibility issues. What else... since you own Office 2000, you might want to check your favorite retailer of computer hardware/software and see if you can acquire a new copy of Office for a reasonable price. "tom...

Contacts & Address Book #2
My address book only shows about 9 contacts. I have more than 100 contacts, & I don't know why only these 9 are showing. It seems random. I've tried Contacts>Properties>Outlook Address Book, which was enabled. I disabled, then reenabled it but got the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You haven't told us anything that would permit us to troubleshoot. Read how to configure the Address Book: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Headshrinker" <Headshrinke...

Anyone in Marietta/Roswell area using CRM
Hi, I'm hitting lots of road blocks testing CRM end user abilities for my company, in our test environment. I have permissions as Marketing Prof., Marketing Mgr & Salesperson. I'd really love it if there was someone using this for day-to-day office that I could ask questions, visit or get help from. In particular template help, sending e-mail from alias, accessing my created templates in direct mail CRM web client, sending mail-merge with attachments. I'd really appreciate any help/advice you have for me. -- Thanks, kch Hi "kch" - I am implementing CRM ...

Help with creating invoice in other currency
I am looking to set up multi-currency invoicing so that I can create an invoice in Great Plains 7.50g3 in a currency (British Pounds) other than the functional currency (US Dollars). I believe I have multi-currency access set up properly, have currencies and exchange rates set up, have accounts set up to receive postings in multiple currencies, and the customer set up with a default currency of British Pounds. However, when I create an invoice, all the financial values are in US Dollars, and the Currency ID field is disabled. What is causing the Currency ID field to remain disabled? Th...