virtual memory paging file

i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging file".what
is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the entire
document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied every
temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with publisher
have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now i
am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just  simple
clip art.

help!
0
Sylvia (32)

sylvia wrote:
> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging file".what
> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the entire
> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied every
> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with publisher
> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now i
> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just  simple
> clip art.

a) Memory and hard drive space are not the same thing. You cleared hard
drive space, not memory. Memory refers to your computer's RAM. How much
RAM does your computer have?

b) "Loads" of space is not a helpful measure. Exactly how much space do
you have available on your C: drive?

c) There is no such message as '"low memory" "virtual memory paging
file"'. I'm guessing the full message was more along the lines of "Due
to low memory, Windows has increased the size of your virtual memory
paging file..." This is because when the computer does not have enough
real RAM to run all applications (which is usually), it takes a portion
of your computer's disk space and pretends that it's memory, calling it
"virtual memory". Windows has a set file allocated for this, and if it
runs out, Windows increases the file size to create more space, showing
you the message you encountered.

It sounds like the document you're trying to print is very long, and so
is filling up your virtual memory. The problem may alternatively be that
there is insufficient disk space to create the "spooler file" that
Windows sends to your printer. The solution may be to print a few pages
at a time, or if you have very high-resolution images in your
publication, to reduce their resolution (about 300dpi is more than
sufficient for desktop printing, much more than this will cause problems).

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

> sylvia wrote:
>> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging
>> file".what is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print
>> out the entire document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked
>> and emptied every temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty
>> fed up with publisher have other commercial printing issue but will get
>> to that later.  for now i am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11
>> invitation no picture just  simple clip art.
>
> a) Memory and hard drive space are not the same thing. You cleared hard
> drive space, not memory. Memory refers to your computer's RAM. How much
> RAM does your computer have?
>
> b) "Loads" of space is not a helpful measure. Exactly how much space do
> you have available on your C: drive?
>
> c) There is no such message as '"low memory" "virtual memory paging
> file"'. I'm guessing the full message was more along the lines of "Due to
> low memory, Windows has increased the size of your virtual memory paging
> file..." This is because when the computer does not have enough real RAM
> to run all applications (which is usually), it takes a portion of your
> computer's disk space and pretends that it's memory, calling it "virtual
> memory". Windows has a set file allocated for this, and if it runs out,
> Windows increases the file size to create more space, showing you the
> message you encountered.
>
> It sounds like the document you're trying to print is very long, and so is
> filling up your virtual memory. The problem may alternatively be that
> there is insufficient disk space to create the "spooler file" that Windows
> sends to your printer. The solution may be to print a few pages at a time,
> or if you have very high-resolution images in your publication, to reduce
> their resolution (about 300dpi is more than sufficient for desktop
> printing, much more than this will cause problems).
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
jl_paules (2768)
11/20/2006 12:46:05 AM
JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:
> Could it also be a limitation on the printer's memory? (Just curious)

That's possible, depending on the printer.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6342)
11/20/2006 12:50:32 AM
the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i just
tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications to
increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop

the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go to
help to find out how to increase memory....

perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory (i
am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....

the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
thanks

"sylvia" wrote:

> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging file".what
> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the entire
> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied every
> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with publisher
> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now i
> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just  simple
> clip art.
>
> help!
0
Sylvia (32)
11/20/2006 1:33:01 AM
I would think that most printers these days would be fine but I can see how
some of the low end printers might have limitations.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:
>> Could it also be a limitation on the printer's memory? (Just curious)
>
> That's possible, depending on the printer.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
jl_paules (2768)
11/20/2006 1:36:27 AM
When was the last time you rebooted your computer?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
> just
> tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
> series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
> available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications
> increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
>
> the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go
> help to find out how to increase memory....
>
> perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory
> (i
> am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
>
> the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
> thanks
>
> "sylvia" wrote:
>
>> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging
>> file".what
>> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the
>> entire
>> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied
>> every
>> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with
>> publisher
>> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now
>> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just
>> simple
>> clip art.
>>
>> help!

0
jl_paules (2768)
11/20/2006 1:53:15 AM
i just did after i deleted all of my temp files (there were not to many to
delete... my printer in an HP6100 all in one probably about 3 years old...

thanks
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> When was the last time you rebooted your computer?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
> > just
> > tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
> > series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
> > available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications
> > increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
> >
> > the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go
> > help to find out how to increase memory....
> >
> > perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory
> > (i
> > am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
> >
> > the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
> > thanks
> >
> > "sylvia" wrote:
> >
> >> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging
> >> file".what
> >> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the
> >> entire
> >> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied
> >> every
> >> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with
> >> publisher
> >> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now
> >> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just
> >> simple
> >> clip art.
> >>
> >> help!

0
Sylvia (32)
11/20/2006 2:23:01 AM
The words "the space capacity of my comuter is 144mg and my free space is
132mg" make no sense whatever to me.
 There is system memory, hard disk size and hard disk free space. All
measuered in mega bytes or giga bytes.
And what operating system and what version of Publisher are you using.
All these questions need precise answers because we are not there to see
what you expect us to guess at.

John G

"sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
> just
> tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
> series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
> available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications
> increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
>
> the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go
> help to find out how to increase memory....
>
> perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory
> (i
> am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
>
> the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
> thanks
>
> "sylvia" wrote:
>
>> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging
>> file".what
>> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the
>> entire
>> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied
>> every
>> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with
>> publisher
>> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now
>> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just
>> simple
>> clip art.
>>
>> help!

0
green1 (38)
11/20/2006 2:48:36 AM
i am sorry i don't make much sense to you. perhaps it would be more
constructive to tell me how to find the information that would be more useful
to you. i use windows xp, publisher version 2003.  the "space capacity" came
from my c drive properties.

"John G" wrote:

> The words "the space capacity of my comuter is 144mg and my free space is
> 132mg" make no sense whatever to me.
>  There is system memory, hard disk size and hard disk free space. All
> measuered in mega bytes or giga bytes.
> And what operating system and what version of Publisher are you using.
> All these questions need precise answers because we are not there to see
> what you expect us to guess at.
>
> John G
>

> "sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
> > just
> > tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
> > series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
> > available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications
> > increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
> >
> > the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go
> > help to find out how to increase memory....
> >
> > perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory
> > (i
> > am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
> >
> > the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
> > thanks
> >
> > "sylvia" wrote:
> >
> >> i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging
> >> file".what
> >> is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the
> >> entire
> >> document.  i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied
> >> every
> >> temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with
> >> publisher
> >> have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later.  for now
> >> am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just
> >> simple
> >> clip art.
> >>
> >> help!

0
Sylvia (32)
11/20/2006 4:12:01 AM
"sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green
> border. i just tried again this time i received a new error message
> "hp officejet 6100 series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there
> is not enough memory available in your computer to print the
> document . . . . .

As John has already said, you need to give us much more information about
your system. From your recent post it looks as though you have plenty of
available hard disk space (assuming you meant to say that your free space is
132MB), but there is a lot of other stuff that we need to know. For example,
what is your operating system (Windows98, WindowsXP or whatever)? And what
version of Publisher are you using? Also, how much RAM is installed? And how
much disk space do you have, and how much of that disk space is allocated to
the swap file (or page file)? You can check these things by clicking the
Help menu in Publisher and selecting the item "About Microsoft Publisher".
Then in the window that appears you will see a button called "System Info".
Click that button and it will show you a list containing all sorts of
information about your computer. The important things (as far as your
question is concerned) are the first couple of items (which tell you the
version of Windows) and the last half dozen or so items that tell you all
about the various kinds of memory. Post again telling us all those details.
Armed with that information we will be in a far better position to tell you
what to do to correct the problem.

By the way, have you tried completely uninstalling the printer driver and
all of the other HP stuff that was installed when you first installed your
printer and then reinstalling it again from scratch? That can fix lots of
problems that are otherwise difficult to pin down.

Maureen

0
Mike6174 (65)
11/20/2006 4:25:05 AM
"sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Oops! Slight typo in my previous post. When I said 132MB of free hard disk
space I of course meant to say 132GB. Silly me. I think I'm havin' one of my
hot flushes again ;-)

Maureen

0
Mike6174 (65)
11/20/2006 4:53:24 AM
Please believe me I do not want to be difficult and we all have to learn
sometime.
If you go to My Computer and look at the C Local Disk it will say something
like  Total Size 37.2 GB and Free Space 10.6 GB
If you are saying Total Size 144 GB  and Free Space 132 GB (note GB not mg)
then that is not you problem. This is the capacity of your hard drive in
gigabytes.
If you go to Control Panel >System and then at the bottom of that panel it
says XX GHz and 512 (or higher) MB of RAM  the system memory should not be
you problem either.

Google is often your friend. I found the following link by putting Officejet
6100 into Google and looking for support on a HP site.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bpu01846&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=79477&dlc=en

It is best for understanding if you use proper case and punctuation to make
it easier for old duffers like me to read and get what you mean and not what
I might think you mean.

Computers are like that too. They do what you tell them, not what you thing
you tell them.
Hope this helps
John G.

>i am sorry i don't make much sense to you. perhaps it would be more
> constructive to tell me how to find the information that would be more
> useful
> to you. i use windows xp, publisher version 2003.  the "space capacity"
> came
> from my c drive properties.
>
> "John G" wrote:
>
>> The words "the space capacity of my comuter is 144mg and my free space is
>> 132mg" make no sense whatever to me.
>>  There is system memory, hard disk size and hard disk free space. All
>> measuered in mega bytes or giga bytes.
>> And what operating system and what version of Publisher are you using.
>> All these questions need precise answers because we are not there to see
>> what you expect us to guess at.
>>
>> John G
>>

>> "sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
>> > just
>> > tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
>> > series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
>> > available in your computer to print the document close unused
>> > qpplications
>> > increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
>> >
>> > the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory
>> > go
>> > help to find out how to increase memory....
>> >
>> > perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer
>> > memory
>> > (i
>> > am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
>> >
>> > the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
>> > thanks

0
green1 (38)
11/20/2006 5:50:48 AM
Have you considered removing the printer driver and re-installing?
HP has a removal tool
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-11696-6&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=238398&os=228&lang=en
It is always advisable to completely remove the driver before
installing/re-installing.

Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web

How to clean up printer drivers

Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am sorry i don't make much sense to you. perhaps it would be more
> constructive to tell me how to find the information that would be more useful
> to you. i use windows xp, publisher version 2003.  the "space capacity" came
> from my c drive properties.
>
> "John G" wrote:
>
>> The words "the space capacity of my comuter is 144mg and my free space is
>> 132mg" make no sense whatever to me.
>>  There is system memory, hard disk size and hard disk free space. All
>> measuered in mega bytes or giga bytes.
>> And what operating system and what version of Publisher are you using.
>> All these questions need precise answers because we are not there to see
>> what you expect us to guess at.
>>
>> John G
>>

>> "sylvia" <sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the document is not lengthy, one 8.5x11 page black with green border. i
>> > just
>> > tried again this time i received a new error message "hp officejet 6100
>> > series" " not enough memory" and i quote "there is not enough memory
>> > available in your computer to print the document close unused qpplications
>> > increase available memory" FYI i have nothing else opened on my desktop
>> >
>> > the normal error message i receive does say not enough virtual memory go
>> > help to find out how to increase memory....
>> >
>> > perhaps it is a printer memory problem. how do i clear my printer memory
>> > (i
>> > am not a computer wizard) just trying to get by....
>> >
>> > the space capicity on my computer is 144mg and my free space is 132mg.
>> > thanks

0
mary-sauer (6480)
11/20/2006 11:14:06 AM
Just one question, then I'll butt out & mind my own business :)

Based on some numbers you threw out in a prior post I just couldn't help
wondering, you don't happen to be actively working with a file that's on a
floppy disk do you? If so, that would explain everything.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/19/06 8:33 PM, in article