Viewing earlier files on Publisher 2000

I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
Thanks,

0
Stuartp77 (1)

Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to
open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files with
2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting an
error message?

Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894542/en-us
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Stuartp77" <Stuartp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
> version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
> is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
> Thanks,

0
mary.sauer (2018)
4/24/2009 10:23:44 AM
Hi Mary -

I too have the same problem.  I have Publisher 2003 and cannot open a file
sent to me from Publisher 2007.  At the same time, I want to upgrade to the
2007 version but am afraid I will lose all of my current publisher documents
that are on my computer that are in the 2003 version.  Can you help me?

Thanks!
Gretchen

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to
> open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files with
> 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting an
> error message?
>
> Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Stuartp77" <Stuartp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
> > version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
> > is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
> > Thanks,

0
gretchen (3)
4/25/2009 9:16:01 PM
Gretchen wrote:
> Hi Mary -
>
> I too have the same problem.  I have Publisher 2003 and cannot open a
> file sent to me from Publisher 2007.  At the same time, I want to
> upgrade to the 2007 version but am afraid I will lose all of my
> current publisher documents that are on my computer that are in the
> 2003 version.  Can you help me?
>
> Thanks!
> Gretchen
====================================
Maybe the following link would be worth a look:

(329820) How to use Office programs with
the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

--

    John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie (2069)
4/25/2009 10:08:17 PM
Publisher 2003 should open 2007 publications. It could be the virus program. Are
you getting an error message?
Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot
open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Gretchen" <Gretchen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mary -
>
> I too have the same problem.  I have Publisher 2003 and cannot open a file
> sent to me from Publisher 2007.  At the same time, I want to upgrade to the
> 2007 version but am afraid I will lose all of my current publisher documents
> that are on my computer that are in the 2003 version.  Can you help me?
>
> Thanks!
> Gretchen
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to
>> open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files
>> with
>> 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting
>> an
>> error message?
>>
>> Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Stuartp77" <Stuartp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
>> > version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
>> > is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
>> > Thanks,

0
mary.sauer (2018)
4/25/2009 10:37:53 PM
Here is my problem - I have Pub 2000 and it is the only version I have ever
had - however, it won't let me open some of my older 2000 documents saying
Publisher cannot open from an older version - any thoughts?

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to
> open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files with
> 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting an
> error message?
>
> Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Stuartp77" <Stuartp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
> > version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
> > is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
> > Thanks,

0
RTMLMU (1)
4/27/2009 8:22:03 PM
Norton can be troublesome
How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us

You may have to do a registry fix:
Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot
open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us

If the above does not work, send me one of the files and I'll try to open it.

mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"RTMLMU" <RTMLMU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is my problem - I have Pub 2000 and it is the only version I have ever
> had - however, it won't let me open some of my older 2000 documents saying
> Publisher cannot open from an older version - any thoughts?
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Some time ago Microsoft created a security update that made it impossible to
>> open very early versions of Publisher files. I can open Publisher 95 files
>> with
>> 2000. What version Publisher did you use to create the files? Are you getting
>> an
>> error message?
>>
>> Description of the security update for Publisher 2003: September 12, 2006
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Stuartp77" <Stuartp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
>> > version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
>> > is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
>> > Thanks,

0
mary.sauer (2018)
4/27/2009 8:59:46 PM
I, too, am having problems opening a file saved as an older version of
Publisher. I have Publisher 2007 and do not have Norton.  The error message I
receive states that the file is no longer supported.  Thanks for any
assistance you can offer. Melissa

"Stuartp77" wrote:

> I have Publisher 2000 and want to work on files created on the previous
> version but  the message comes saying the files cannot be opened.  If there
> is a way to do this I would be most appreciative of help.
> Thanks,

0
Melissa (140)

GP 8.0 + SQL Server 2000 SP4 (installing SP 4)
Hello there, We have running the GP 8.0 on a SQL Server 2000 database with no service pack. I've just downloaded the SQL Server 2000 SP 4 and I'm planning to upgrade the database. I'm concerning as to whether or not there might be side effects on the GP functionality if I install the SQL Server SP 4. Is it safe to make this upgrade ? or Are there some technical issues ? Thanks in advance. Kind regards Cesar I've been running sp4 for months with GP 8, sp2, and I've had no problems. ...

trying to export .aba file from Palm Desktop to .csv file and having problems with irregular characters
I'm getting these odd square characters in my notes section of the .csv file which I think are carriage returns in palm desktop that are unrecognizable to excel. Any idea how to eliminate them? Here's a pic of what they look like" http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=howtoeliminatesquareseu6.jpg > I'm getting these odd square characters in my notes section of > the .csv file which I think are carriage returns in palm desktop that > are unrecognizable to excel. Any idea how to eliminate them? > Here's a pic of what they look like" I hate to ask what...

How to See to which file MEM_MAPPED
Hello all, When you use WinDbg for standard PC, you can use !address and then you can see to which file a MEM_MAPPED memory page from VirtualMemory is related QUESTION: Is it also possible for windows ce ? Can I see under Windows CE (5) to which file the MEM_MAPPED Page or region is related? Thank you ...

Can't install Publisher
I'm having a tough time installing MS Publisher 2003 in VHP. I get a 1402 error which pertains to a certain registry key in myt Vista registry. I'm supposed to change the permissions in this key but in Vista Home Premium I can't seem to do that. Anybody have any suggestions? Did you try method 4 in the support document? You receive an error message when you install an Office program or open an Office program or document http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687/en-us If this is not the document, where did you get the security information? This is a permission issue, you migh...

Opening excel file in new window
When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window? You can't. Excel has two windows only; Excel and the VB editor. You may be able to open another instance of Excel though, with some Windows trick or by code. But that is spending a lot of power just for an extra window. HTH. best wishes Harald "Ravi" <Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:B53F2A94-CE10-41F7-A3B0-D472317D527C@microsoft.com... > When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it ...

You are not authorized to view this page
I have just one user that has this problem. They put in the login credentials, and then after several attempts get the page "You are not authorized to view this page". This person has been accessing this site for a long time now with no problems. what is causing this? Thanks I don't know. But problems like this are always caused by something that changed. Somewhere something changed. What changed? (I feel you know this, but I thought I would help remember this). --rms www.rmschneider.com JohnB wrote: > I have just one user that has t...

How big is your money file?
Mine is about 25Mb. Is there a limit? Is there an size I should not go over? Tod DeBie wrote: > Mine is about 25Mb. Is there a limit? Is there an size I should not > go over? My current is about 10 meg. I suggest you may want to archive some of the older data as Money does slow down with larger files. -- Joseph Meehan Dia duit My file is about 50Mb. I have not found a compelling reason to archive. -- "Tod DeBie" <tod_debie@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uIadnRGTE_ZYzQbfRVn-uA@comcast.com... > Mine is about 25Mb. Is there a limit? Is th...

Merging excel files
Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per month and merge the daily file into it...is there another way to do it other than copy/paste? Please help there is a lot of files what are the names of your files "Raul V" <pacificinet@aol.com> wrote in message news:0fa401c377e3$026dd5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the > month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per > month and merge the daily file into it...is there another > way t...

smtp log file empty
I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 and I turned on SMTP logging this morning. It seemed to work ok. I opened up the log file this afternoon and it's all empty. All I see is #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0 #Version: 1.0 #Date: 2006-11-28 22:36:55 #Fields: Followed by a lot of blank lines, then another one of those messages above, then more blank lines, etc, etc. I've tried to restart IIS but no luck. What's going on with the logs?? when you enabled logging, did you go to the Advanced tab of the "Properties" dialog and select what you ...

Mail merging from Excel to Publisher or Word (office XP)
I am a teacher in a Sheffield UK school teaching GCSE. Part of the requirement this year is to mail merge into either Publisher or Word from an Excel spreadsheet. Did the same last year with no problem (office 2000) but with Office XP now have strange results. Mail merged figures (results of formula) now unexpectedly develop either 4 decimal places when merged to Word, or up to eight in Publisher. i.e 14.67 goes to 14.6667 or 14.66666667, This in spite of formating to two decimal places and/or roundup. My solution is to manually convert the numbers to text but this can't be right...

Outlook 2000 unable to connect to Exchange 2003 mailbox
I've just moved over 2500 users from Ex2K servers to Ex2K3. At the same time I also changed the Directory Access servers to use specific DCs and GCs, rather than leaving it set to automatic. The day after moving the mailboxes all was fine...but after a couple of days users report problems when accessing their mailboxes. When the open Outlook and choose 'Connect' Outlook freezes. When they open Outlook in Offline mode and hit Send and Receive it gets to the Retrieving mail stage before again freezing. I've since returned Directory Access to Automatic and the only way I&...

Problems with a form in Access 2000
Hello all, We are using Windows 2000 pro with Access 2000. We are having this problem on one machine only. There is an input form that has a memo field in it. When the guy tries to hightlight some text in that memo field, it highlights the whole memo field as soon as he clicks in it instead of letting him choose what data to highlight. Sticky keys are not on, on his machine, I checked that. The database has a front end and a back end and he is working in the front end. To make the problem go away, he has to restart his machine. What could possibly be the problem? Thanks, GMC ...

Office 2000 & 2007 in Windows 7
Hi, Can anyone confirm that Office 2000 is fully compatible with Windows 7? Can we install Office 2000 and Office 2007 together in the same computer? Thanks in advance, Garu Yes, on both counts. But in respect of the latter, see the NoRereg section of the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Garu" <garrys@brunet.bn> wrote in me...

Ultimate Basic question: What exactly IS publisher?
Okay, okay, I should know. But my wife is considering getting Publisher, and has previously worked with Word for text things, and sometimes with--gasp--Print Shop to produce basic graphics-based things like cards and posters. But what does Publisher do that Word doesn't? And does it do anything like a Print Shop type program, or is it something completely different? Word or Publisher? Use Crabby's special recipe to decide http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA101757591033.aspx Publisher 2007 Help and How-to http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx --...

PDF not an option in file type in reports
I have installed the full version of Acrobat 5. Even installed Acrobat PDFWriter Files. However, still the dropdown on file types in reports does not contain pdf. Please let me know what steps am I missing. ...

converting 1.x database to 2.0 from DOS files
I saved the 1.x database on floppies. Now I need the database again and need to upgrade it. How do I copy the floppies with the 1.x database so that it will work with access 2.0 in an XP pro environment? ...

Import text file using a wildcard
I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with the same 12 characters: ' Set the parameters to import the text file If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then strPath = \\mdb8\Global Else strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\" End If strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt" If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..." GoTo ExitImpor...

Import text file in UTF-8 format to Excel 2000
Hello, When I open a text file(in UTF-8 format)under excel 2000, the chinese character cannot be displayed correctly. But this text file can be opened directly in word 2000. Can anyone help me? Thanks! Irene ...

Flat File To XML Roundtrip
OK I'm on a steep learning curve with XML et.al. and need some advice. I'm writing a B2B front door for a new application. I have multiple data suppliers all sending various formats of flat files. Most of the inbound files are CSV (but a couple are tab-delimitted and one is an Excel spreadsheet). The goal is to read/process/validate each file and to "transform" the data into a common, internal, file format which will by sent on to a downstream application for final processing and consumption. I'm using VB.Net 2003 as my development platform. My novice approach to do thi...

search for numbers with file/open/tools/search
I need to look for excel documents containing specific numbers. We used to do this using File / Open / tools / search. However after a new installation we cannot get any results back. If we search for plain text in the same documents, the result is shown. So it seems like searching for numbers is the problem. ...

Publisher 97 compatiblility with Publisher 98 or later
How can you get Publisher 98 or higher to open Publisher 97? I need to move files to a different computer running Publisher 98. Publisher 98 will open 97 files, Publisher 2000, XP and 2003 will open them as well. Publisher doesn't like to open files on a removable disk, when you transfer the files put them on your new hard drive. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tanky" <tanky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89FCFAE9-DD5C-4FBB-8D22-81C1184CAD13@microsoft.com... > How can y...

Email view control
Is there a way to control wether an email is printed or screen shot? i need some way to prevent an email form being forwarded printed or screenshot. any ideas? Wow. I don't know of anything that will plug the analog hole like that...(screen to eyes). EVen if sent encrypted, it has to be un-encrypted at some point..... we could hack the retinal nerve, and send the image directly to the brain.... <neondemon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170876046.268523.217910@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to control wether an email is printed or screen shot? i >...

Get a list of files on network drive
I have a slight problem getting a list of files that exist on a network drive. I have two ways of doing it that are both slow (~10 minutes). I am only interested in one folder and not subfolders and there are only about 5,000 files in this folder. At a command prompt with a dir command the list of flies is displayed in less than 10 seconds. when I add the switch to write to a text file it takes about 10 minutes using. dir /b >filelisting.txt I also tried putting this in a bat file on the network drive but it still runs locally using cmd.exe So I tried in VB using this code which takes ...

Contacts file error
Contacts file not popping up by default. When I go to create a new email and click the "To" field button, I am prompted "The address list could not be displayed. The contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or...". Next I get to select the names/addresses but nothing is listed. I select the dropdown box and there are two contact files. Selecting the other one lists all my contacts. How do I fix this problem so the empty Contacts file will not default? Damn annoying. taa asiafreak wrote: || Contacts file not...

Change Views for mailbox ?
If a user have more than one eMail adresses and i add the to: ( In German An:) field in Outlook 2000 to the view in the inbox, i only see the Name from the Mailbox but not the eMail adress. Can i change it to display the eMail adress? ( in Exchange 5.5 the to: Field displays always the eMail adress) wbr Bruno ...