Using Publisher for long reports

Hi.

I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important.
I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of
pictures and layout drives me wild.
Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice?
Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me?
--
Giles
0

It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that
the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the
longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal
contact information and I can not/will not pass that along, (No offense
intended.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Giles" <Giles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very
> important.
> I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management
> of
> pictures and layout drives me wild.
> Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice?
> Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me?
> --
> Giles

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
2/4/2006 6:34:24 PM
Giles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very
> important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since
> Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild.
> Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice?
> Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me?

You might want to consider a free program which will meet your needs:
   "Ragtime Solo" (
http://www.ragtime-online.com/link.cgi?product_ragtime_5 ).

Regards...

0
Won
2/4/2006 7:52:57 PM
Long documents are best done in Word, but Publisher does have superior lay out
functions. Publisher works with text boxes, unlike Word.
Start here and see if you are willing to tackle a long document with Publisher
Working with text
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524571033.aspx

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Giles" <Giles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important.
> I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of
> pictures and layout drives me wild.
> Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice?
> Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me?
> --
> Giles

0
gsauer (5093)
2/4/2006 10:29:45 PM
Giles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important.
> I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of
> pictures and layout drives me wild.
> Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice?
> Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me?

It is impossible to manage layouts in Word.

Publisher 2002 (and older versions) is fairly intuitive to use if you
can use Word and PowerPoint, with just a few little quirks of its own.
Not sure about the newer versions. You can download it for a trial and
see if you like it. I think this link is still good:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/publisher/prodinfo/trial.mspx

You can design your own documents. You don't need a template for everything.

--

Hugs, Erika
0
> You can download it for a trial and
> see if you like it. I think this link is still good:
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/publisher/prodinfo/trial.mspx

No you can't, but you can order the trial on CD-ROM.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
2/5/2006 11:58:19 AM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> Erika <erikakatz@mail.com> was very recently heard to utter:
>
>>You can download it for a trial and
>>see if you like it. I think this link is still good:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/office/publisher/prodinfo/trial.mspx
>

> No you can't, but you can order the trial on CD-ROM.

The link is on the Microsoft site. But thanks for the correct info.

The advice is still good: Try it out. See if you like it.

--

Hugs, Erika
0

Analysis services connection using Excel
Server- remote win2k3 server running sql2k8 in workgroup setup - no AD. Client - Xp prof connect to server via vpn and rdp I am trying to connect to sql database from Excel , data , from other sources, from analysis services using windows authentication and I am getting an error " Errors in OLD DB provider. Could not connect to the redirector. Ensure that the SQL browser services is running on the 'dbservername' server. Can you pls update on what needs to be corrected to remotely connect to analysis services via vpn from client and also make a odbc connection ...

Setup project from my program using VS.NET.
I need to create a setup project for my MFC application. I have " a few dlls" that need to be in the same folder as my program . How can i create such a setup project with VS.NET? Thanks You can create a setup project by going to "File->New->Project" Under "Project Types" select "Setup and Deployment Projects" I hope this helps, Shagy "Bredal Jensen" <bredal@jensen.dk> wrote in message news:u$FeCc$mEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > I need to create a setup project for my MFC application. I have " a fe...

How do display "paycheck" in report?
I'm using Money 2004 Small Business I'm running a month to date profit/loss report, which shows all income vs. expenses and a net worth. On the income part, my gross (no taxes taken out) paycheck amount shows. On the expense part, taxes on these paychecks show. I'd like to display only the net pay on the income part. Not gross. In my account listing, I use a split transaction to enter paychecks. On the "paycheck" window, I enter the gross paycheck amount on the "wages" tab and use the "taxes" tab to enter all related taxes. I finish and the cate...

Web publishing Wizard
I am using Windows XP Pro and outlook 2000. When I try to save my calandar to a web page, I get an error that I need to install the explorer webpublishing wizard. I have tried this but it does no good. Also, all of the articals I have found on this issue focus on windows 98 or 2000, not XP. Any guidence would be appreciated. Terry Hi Terry, Web Publishing Wizard overview http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en- us/webpub_overview.mspx Please let me if i can be of further assistance... Thank You... Raghu... This posting is provided "AS IS"...

Exporting Reports
How can I export a regular report that I run so that it's tab diliminated? I can do this when I try and change item prices etc, but I did not see how to export a report. Is this possible? -- Thank You,; Vince Vince, run the report, right click in the body and select export. the rest is self explanitory.. "Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4140F19B-4108-4EE7-A196-DFABFF195D27@microsoft.com... > How can I export a regular report that I run so that it's tab diliminated? > I > can do this when I try and change item prices...

Finding all the Formats used in an Excel Sheet
Hi, I want to find all the formats which have been used in excel sheet. Can you please provide some VBA/Code to retrieve the same? Regards, Brijesh Hi Brijesh.. This may not be a direct solution�.but still.. Create a short cut ke for this macro. You may go to each cell and press shortcut key t display the format..Expand � If� clause, for other formats also� Sub ContentChk() If Application.IsText(ActiveCell) = True Then MsgBox "Text" Else If ActiveCell = "" Then MsgBox "Blank cell� Else End If If ActiveCell.HasFormula Then MsgBox "formula"...

Generating an Access Report that's "editable".
Is there a way of generating an Access report as a text file or Word document? In other words, that can be e-mailed and edited? I know that an Access report can be printed as a pdf, but a pdf print file is not generally editable. John -- ------------------------------------------------------- John S. Ford, MD, MPH Assistant Professor of Medicine David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA Harbor-UCLA Medical Center johnsfordmd@hotmail.com http://califmedicineman.blogspot.com yes, if i recall correctly, you can Output a report object to a .rtf doc (Rich Text File) which can be opened an...

Reports 05-11-07
I'm not seeing any reports under the reports section in CRM. The reports are on the SRS server, but not showing up in the CRM client. Any suggestions? Figured it out. Needed to re-publish my reports after moving my CRM server. "Travis Callihan" wrote: > I'm not seeing any reports under the reports section in CRM. The reports are > on the SRS server, but not showing up in the CRM client. Any suggestions? ...

Using the EXACT Function
I've created a simple spreadsheet. Column A is a list of 15034 used Work Order reference numbers (many values are missing); Column C is a complete list (25,000 numbers). I want to get a separate list of unused numbers, but can't get the EXACT function to work. ( I believe it should place a TRUE value in column D when the numbers match.) I've used: =OR(EXACT(C1,$A$1:$A$15034)), which I replicated down the column. Please help... Thanks, Jim Berglund I don't think EXACT will work. Try a VLOOKUP: in D1, type =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$A$15034,1,FALSE) in E1, type =IF(ISNA(...

How to email charts using Excel
Hi All, I need to automatically email(in a single mail) a number of charts(as embedded in the email-body) using Excel. I have coded in VBA such that Each chart is created in different workbook. How can I collate all of these and then send in a single mail?? Can somebody please help?? ...

Using of Goal Seek function
Here is the tutorial for to use the Goal Seek function in Ms Excel for to complete the work in the less time. Its very useful to get to know this function. Just have look at http://t.co/le90e2O ...

Crystal Reports 9 Logon Failure
Hi there! I'm trying to log in to CRM 1.2 from Crystal Reports 9 (create New Connection) and I get the following error: Logon failed. Details: An error occurred while resolving logged on user IDs through the BizUser service. Any help? Thanks, Elena Are you able to log on to CRM otherwise, ie thru the web client or SFO? If not, check your server to make sure the CRM Security Service is started. If you still have problems, in Crystal are you using the "Trusted Connection" logon to create the connection? Are you logged into Crystal as a user who is also a licensed CRM user? &...

How do I use mail merge and change addresses for postcards?
I've set up a mail merge but my print preview shows the same name being printed on each postcard, rather than a different name on each postcard. How do I get it to print a different name on every postcard? Thanks! This is a bug. You can test print on plain paper if you are undecided. There is a check off for a test print on the print dialog page. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "brandybsporty" <brandybsporty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CDC0FF3-8C14-4F94-B894-B1CA23D22D25...

News on Publisher version 12
Today at the closing of the 2005 MVP Summit ( http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/sep05/09-29MVPSummit.mspx ) it was announced publicly that the next release of Publisher due next year in Office "12", will have "save as" PDF functionality. http://alexdyb.blogspot.com/2005/10/office-12-will-support-pdf.html http://mindsharpblogs.com/todd/archive/2005/10/01/708.aspx I have seen a lot of Pub "12" and played with some early bits (beta 1 is expected late 2005) and can tell you that it is the most exciting release I've seen during my years of bei...

Summarizing group totals in report footer
hello I have totals of a field of each group in group footer.Now I want to get the group totals as a summary in the report footer.Hope somebody can help me out in this. Sama I don't know what your underlying data looks like, so I'll have to make an assumption that your detail level group has individual/detail amounts in a field, and your group footer sums up all those individual/detail values. To get a report-level summary, you'll have to sum up all the individual/detail values. Create a text control, and in the ControlSource property, put something like: =Sum([YourD...

How do I find where a particular font is used in a Publisher docum
Using Publisher 2003, the document is a small book consisting of many text, image and caption boxes. The document shows that there are four diffrent fonts being used. It is the intention that only be so. How do I locate the other three fonts and change whatever is using them to the one 'master' font? Thank you By looking for it. Which fonts does the document use and which one are you looking for? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75D37C29-BCD1-45AF-B919-8E74883A9FA2@microsoft.com... >...

FRx report
I suppose FRx is able to produce report as follow but can't figure out how to do it. COST DEPRECIATION BOOK VALUE Fixed Assets - Plant & Machinery 999.99 999.99 999.99 Fixed Assets - Building 999.99 999.99 999.99 any advice is much appreicated. TQ. There may be other ways to do this, but here is one way I can think of. If you had the following account numbers: 1510 Fixed Assets - Plant & Machinery 1520 Fixed Assets - Buildin...

How to use outlook connector without outlook
Hello Can i use outlook connector without outlook? I want to use it from c++ code, is it possible? In documentation for this connector there is a list with two files which maybe i can use: MSOC32.dll A Message Application Program Interface (MAPI) connector that allows Microsoft Outlook Connector for Domino to communicate with a Lotus Domino server. MSOCrc.dll The resource file for Microsoft Outlook Connector for Domino. You might try asking in a programming group "down the hall." --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion inta...

Remove/delete most recently used list
Does anyone know how to remove the most recently used list in Money 2004? I viewed two articles in the MS Knowledge Base which referred to Money 2000 and 2001, but nothing for Money 2004. I would appreciate any assistance or thoughts. Thanks in advance. Scott Eliminate the behavior of keep in an MRU list? Probably too tough. Delete files from the MRU list (why? who cares?)? IF you know what you are doing in the registry, this is a fairly simple set of values to find and delete. It just took me about 45 seconds to find them. I'd tell you where, but if you are competent to muck in ...

Pivot Table Report
Hello, I have a pivot table linked to an Access database. I want to sum 2 of the columns. I already have them in the data area (where summed data should be). I'm trying to sum the 2 colymns at the bottom within the pivot table area? ...

Publisher 2007
I have older versions of publisher which open automatically as the A4 page size. This is great. I have Publisher 2007 at work and this opens with the default page size set at A4 I also have publisher at Home, but this annoyingly always opens set at the american page size. I have to repeatedly go into the page setup and alter the size for every publication and set it to A4. Please can anyone advise if there is a way to set the default page size in Publisher 2007 so that it will always default to opening or creating an A4 size document. I have the English version of Office 2007 Ultimate. Ma...

FRX should be able to print to PDF file without using WebView.
Printing to PDF file format is now a common form of electronic distribution of files and reports. It is surprising to see that through MS Great Plains, we can print to a pdf file format, but MS FRx requires another program to be installed to print to PDF format file(s). At the moment, we are printing to Excel and making few format changes and then saving it to a PDF format. Any other solution(s) outside using WebView and/or BCL easyPDF would be appreciated. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To v...

Offline and Z report does not match
When the POS register goes in offline modes and they ring up sales in offline mode, than the register goes back online and syncs the data back to the server. The cashier goes to Z out the register and the Z report totals sales does not match. The detail sales report does show the correct sale totals, but when the computer goes into offline mode, it always screws up the Z report totals. Is there a reason way the Z report is always wrong when computer goes into offline mode? Thanks for your help Dave When the register goes off line, the original batch gets blind closed. When the regis...

displaying parameter value on report
Hey all, I'm trying to add the parameter value in my report, in a textbox. I have tried is with: =Parameters!Parameter.Label , =Parameters!Parameter.Value and =Join.String(Parameter!parameter.Value,",") Both of them aren't working for me, I get a notification that mt header is moved. Can someone help me with this problem Have you just tried the expression builder. It will let you pick the parameter. Also, is this a multi-select parameter? =Join(Parameters!Container.Value, ", ") The above works, the parameter name was Container. I notice ...

huge file bloat when using TEMPLATES??!?!
I work on a product where I ship both debug and release DLLs. I have noticed that my debug DLL has packed on about 300k after writing code that uses MFC and ATL templates. Is there any compiler option I can use to reduce some weight while still having all the necessary debug info? I am already using the PDB file option. Thanks. Doubt it, MFC debug info really packs on the pounds - My main app ships at 200kb release and its 700 in debug. If you jump into the MFC sets, you will see there is quite a lot behind those templates. - MR "Nobody" <nobody@cox.net> wrote in ...