Upload of file containing images hyperlinked to web page. #2

Hi there.  I am using Publisher 2003 with internet explorer using XP SP3.  I
have prepared my web page and I have kept the images that are hyperlinked to
the page in a separate foler from the publication file (which I have not yet
published to a web site format).  I already know that the FTP protocol from
my host does not work and I have to load the files one at a time.  I create
the directory and within that directory I upload my individual files.  My
question is:  Almost all of the pictures are linked to larger pictures or
descriptions.  During the creation of the web site I have kept the linked
pictures in a separate image file.  Where do I upload this file?  In the same
directory with the converted web files or in a separate directory equal to
the first directory or in a directory that is placed within the web file
directory?  I hope this isn't too confusing.  Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.  I would like to know how to do this before I actually format it
into a web page.  Thanking you.
--
Heather
0

Unless you change the defaults in Pub 2003, when you Publish to the Web and
produce the web files, you will get an "index.htm" file (your home page) and
an "index_files" folder which contains all your other pages in your site
plus *copies* of the images you inserted into your Pub pages. You need to
upload both the index.htm file and the index_files folder *intact* to the
root directory of your host.

Prior to uploading your web files, you should also use the compress graphics
feature in your Pub file. This will resample and resize the inserted images
and optimize them for the web.

Reference: Compress graphics file sizes to create smaller Publisher Web
pages (2003):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA011266301033.aspx

Reference: Compress Pictures dialog box (2007):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100363901033.aspx?pid=CL100605171033

Now, if I understand you correctly, you also have created links from the
smaller images or thumbnails on your pages to full sized images that you are
collecting in another folder on your local computer. This folder will be
uploaded at the same level in the host directory as the index.htm file and
the index_files folder. Do not put it in the index_files folder and write
the links appropriately.

Reference: How to Thumbnail in Publisher Web Publications :
http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/pages/80553.aspx

Reference: Including external files in a Publisher web:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80561.aspx

And finally if you are not using a form on your site that is dependent upon
FrontPage server extensions, then you will probably find FTP uploading
protocol the easiest to use, and you will be able to upload the index_files
folder and perhaps your images folder, as a whole. There is no need to
upload individual files.

Given where things are going, and for a lot of reasons, I would suggest that
you consider downloading and installing the free FTP client FileZilla:
http://filezilla-project.org/  It is likely to be easier for you in the long
run. You should also peruse the documentation on this page:
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/documentation/

If you have more questions about Publisher webs, then post in the web group
and we will try to help you there:
Please include the version of Publisher you are using, the URL of your site
and as much detail as possible.

DavidF

"Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there.  I am using Publisher 2003 with internet explorer using XP SP3.
> have prepared my web page and I have kept the images that are hyperlinked
> the page in a separate foler from the publication file (which I have not
> yet
> published to a web site format).  I already know that the FTP protocol
> from
> my host does not work and I have to load the files one at a time.  I
> create
> the directory and within that directory I upload my individual files.  My
> question is:  Almost all of the pictures are linked to larger pictures or
> descriptions.  During the creation of the web site I have kept the linked
> pictures in a separate image file.  Where do I upload this file?  In the
> same
> directory with the converted web files or in a separate directory equal to
> the first directory or in a directory that is placed within the web file
> directory?  I hope this isn't too confusing.  Any assistance would be
> greatly
> appreciated.  I would like to know how to do this before I actually format
> it
> into a web page.  Thanking you.
> --
> Heather

0
Nope8657 (939)
10/19/2008 4:14:07 PM
Thank you David.  I have been formulating other ways of doing it since it
seems to be complicated.  I will try everything you say.  Thank you so much!
--
Heather

"DavidF" wrote:

> [...]
> > published to a web site format).  I already know that the FTP protocol
> > from
> > my host does not work and I have to load the files one at a time.  I
> > create
> > the directory and within that directory I upload my individual files.  My
> > question is:  Almost all of the pictures are linked to larger pictures or
> > descriptions.  During the creation of the web site I have kept the linked
> > pictures in a separate image file.  Where do I upload this file?  In the
> > same
> > directory with the converted web files or in a separate directory equal to
> > the first directory or in a directory that is placed within the web file
> > directory?  I hope this isn't too confusing.  Any assistance would be
> > greatly
> > appreciated.  I would like to know how to do this before I actually format

0
Heather (83)

Word 2010 beta: Cannot save my Normal.dotm file
Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever, and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change in file size). But when I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made. I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm template. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup...

Set request parameters for web services

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Money Deluxe 2006 Trial to Money Deluxe Web Download.
Purchased the "full-download" Microsoft Money Deluxe 2006 version from the trial version download. I followed all the steps to "Activate" the product with successful conclusion. However, the "Trial" nag screen continues to pop-up every time I sign onto Money 2006. To add insult to injury, when I have signed onto the Support Center, wishing to send an email to ask about this, the web-site does not recognize my "PID" (Product ID)...because it continues to believe it is the trail version....thusly only a serial number is listed. And, the SN is not r...

MS Money 95 data files

cant start outlook pst file to large

Where is the workspace file stored?

hyperlinking email addresses

matching contents #2

Trying to read XML file into dataset

opening .bak file

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

External Images
I have come accross an issue with reporting services when using external images and accessing via report viewer .net components. Within the RDL I am using an expression to access a bmp via a URL. The report works fine in VS2005/2008 and when running the report through IE. However if the same report is run with the same criteria using an application with reporting services .net components the images are no longer shown, even though the rest of report is. I believe the unattended users/ passwords have been set within reporting services and IIS. The reports will be based on a...

Please ignore #2