I work in a school district and one of our teachers uses Flash Drives/Memory
Keys (whatever you want to call them) for her students to save their projets
on.  She's starting a unit on Microsoft Publisher and had the students open a
template off the flash drive and change it and resave in a folder on the
flash drive but all the students are getting the following error:

"There is no disk in the floppy drive or the drive door is not closed.
Please make sure that the floppy drive is ready, then try again."

-It is not a permissions issue - even the teacher is unable to save to the
flash drive from Publisher.
-It is not an issue with the template - if we create a new document and try
to save to the flash drive we get the same error
-It is not an issue with the flash drive because saving in other programs
such as Microsoft Word works just fine.  It is just in Publisher that this
problem occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.
0
Driscoll (1)

Try saving the template to the local hd first. Open it, do your edits, Save
As something to your hd...then check the properties of the file make sure
its not Read Only (if it is, un check that box) then move it to the Memory
Stick. Maybe that will work.

Strange that it thinks it's floppy though.

"Jeff Driscoll" <Jeff Driscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I work in a school district and one of our teachers uses Flash
Drives/Memory
| Keys (whatever you want to call them) for her students to save their
projets
| on.  She's starting a unit on Microsoft Publisher and had the students
open a
| template off the flash drive and change it and resave in a folder on the
| flash drive but all the students are getting the following error:
|
| "There is no disk in the floppy drive or the drive door is not closed.
| Please make sure that the floppy drive is ready, then try again."
|
| -It is not a permissions issue - even the teacher is unable to save to the
| flash drive from Publisher.
| -It is not an issue with the template - if we create a new document and
try
| to save to the flash drive we get the same error
| -It is not an issue with the flash drive because saving in other programs
| such as Microsoft Word works just fine.  It is just in Publisher that this
| problem occurs.
|

| Any help would be appreciated.

0
webmaster911 (1600)
2/7/2006 3:53:50 PM
The only way this will work is if the students save their completed work to
the hard drive and then manually copy/paste the file to the memory key.

Any file in Publish whether it is on the memory key or not, won't save
itself on the memory key.

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

> Try saving the template to the local hd first. Open it, do your edits, Save
> As something to your hd...then check the properties of the file make sure
> its not Read Only (if it is, un check that box) then move it to the Memory
> Stick. Maybe that will work.
>
> Strange that it thinks it's floppy though.
>

> "Jeff Driscoll" <Jeff Driscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I work in a school district and one of our teachers uses Flash
> Drives/Memory
> | Keys (whatever you want to call them) for her students to save their
> projets
> | on.  She's starting a unit on Microsoft Publisher and had the students
> open a
> | template off the flash drive and change it and resave in a folder on the
> | flash drive but all the students are getting the following error:
> |
> | "There is no disk in the floppy drive or the drive door is not closed.
> | Please make sure that the floppy drive is ready, then try again."
> |
> | -It is not a permissions issue - even the teacher is unable to save to the
> | flash drive from Publisher.
> | -It is not an issue with the template - if we create a new document and
> try
> | to save to the flash drive we get the same error
> | -It is not an issue with the flash drive because saving in other programs
> | such as Microsoft Word works just fine.  It is just in Publisher that this
> | problem occurs.
> |

> | Any help would be appreciated.

hmmm. Try a different mem stick. I've just tried it with Pub 2000 and worked
directly in/out/on my mem stick with no probs.

| The only way this will work is if the students save their completed work
| the hard drive and then manually copy/paste the file to the memory key.
|
| Any file in Publish whether it is on the memory key or not, won't save
| itself on the memory key.
|
| "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
|
| > Try saving the template to the local hd first. Open it, do your edits,
Save
| > As something to your hd...then check the properties of the file make
sure
| > its not Read Only (if it is, un check that box) then move it to the
Memory
| > Stick. Maybe that will work.
| >
| > Strange that it thinks it's floppy though.
| >

| > "Jeff Driscoll" <Jeff Driscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > |I work in a school district and one of our teachers uses Flash
| > Drives/Memory
| > | Keys (whatever you want to call them) for her students to save their
| > projets
| > | on.  She's starting a unit on Microsoft Publisher and had the students
| > open a
| > | template off the flash drive and change it and resave in a folder on
the
| > | flash drive but all the students are getting the following error:
| > |
| > | "There is no disk in the floppy drive or the drive door is not closed.
| > | Please make sure that the floppy drive is ready, then try again."
| > |
| > | -It is not a permissions issue - even the teacher is unable to save to
the
| > | flash drive from Publisher.
| > | -It is not an issue with the template - if we create a new document
and
| > try
| > | to save to the flash drive we get the same error
| > | -It is not an issue with the flash drive because saving in other
programs
| > | such as Microsoft Word works just fine.  It is just in Publisher that
this
| > | problem occurs.
| > |
| > |
| > | Any help would be appreciated.

0
webmaster911 (1600)
2/7/2006 5:11:07 PM
We've got 10 or 15 students in the class and all are having problems.

They have a work around of saving to the C: drive and copying over, but the
teacher wants an actual answer.

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

> hmmm. Try a different mem stick. I've just tried it with Pub 2000 and worked
> directly in/out/on my mem stick with no probs.
>

> "Jeff Driscoll" <JeffDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | The only way this will work is if the students save their completed work
> | the hard drive and then manually copy/paste the file to the memory key.
> |
> | Any file in Publish whether it is on the memory key or not, won't save
> | itself on the memory key.
> |
> | "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
> |
> | > Try saving the template to the local hd first. Open it, do your edits,
> Save
> | > As something to your hd...then check the properties of the file make
> sure
> | > its not Read Only (if it is, un check that box) then move it to the
> Memory
> | > Stick. Maybe that will work.
> | >
> | > Strange that it thinks it's floppy though.
> | >

> | > "Jeff Driscoll" <Jeff Driscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | > Drives/Memory
> | > projets
> | > open a
> the
> | > |
> | > |
> the
> and
> | > try
> programs
> this
> | > |
> | > |

Publisher does not do well on removable media. You already know the solution,
save to the local drive, copy to the flash drive.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> We've got 10 or 15 students in the class and all are having problems.
>
> They have a work around of saving to the C: drive and copying over, but the
> teacher wants an actual answer.
>
> "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
>
>> hmmm. Try a different mem stick. I've just tried it with Pub 2000 and worked
>> directly in/out/on my mem stick with no probs.
>>

>> "Jeff Driscoll" <JeffDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> | The only way this will work is if the students save their completed work
>> | the hard drive and then manually copy/paste the file to the memory key.
>> |
>> | Any file in Publish whether it is on the memory key or not, won't save
>> | itself on the memory key.

>> Save
>> sure
>> Memory

>> message
>> the
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> the
>> and
>> programs
>> this
>> | > |
>> | > |

0
gsauer (5093)
2/7/2006 5:53:52 PM
Saving to and opening from a Sandisk Cruzer flash drive works here with
Publisher 2000.

Maybe your flash drives don't have the capacity for the size of files being
created?

--
Don
Vancouver USA

"Jeff Driscoll" <Jeff Driscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I work in a school district and one of our teachers uses Flash
>Drives/Memory
> Keys (whatever you want to call them) for her students to save their
> projets
> on.  She's starting a unit on Microsoft Publisher and had the students
> open a
> template off the flash drive and change it and resave in a folder on the
> flash drive but all the students are getting the following error:
>
> "There is no disk in the floppy drive or the drive door is not closed.
> Please make sure that the floppy drive is ready, then try again."
>
> -It is not a permissions issue - even the teacher is unable to save to the
> flash drive from Publisher.
> -It is not an issue with the template - if we create a new document and
> try
> to save to the flash drive we get the same error
> -It is not an issue with the flash drive because saving in other programs
> such as Microsoft Word works just fine.  It is just in Publisher that this
> problem occurs.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

0
Don
2/7/2006 6:40:43 PM
Are templates read only until saved as a document?

I'm having no trbl read/write working with an existing doc to my mem stick.

"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
| Publisher does not do well on removable media. You already know the
solution,
| save to the local drive, copy to the flash drive.
|
| --
| Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
| http://office.microsoft.com/
| http://msauer.mvps.org/
|
| "Jeff Driscoll" <JeffDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > We've got 10 or 15 students in the class and all are having problems.
| >
| > They have a work around of saving to the C: drive and copying over, but
the
| > teacher wants an actual answer.
| >
| > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
| >
| >> hmmm. Try a different mem stick. I've just tried it with Pub 2000 and
worked
| >> directly in/out/on my mem stick with no probs.
| >>

| >> "Jeff Driscoll" <JeffDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
key.
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> Save
| >> sure
| >> Memory

| >> message
| >> the
| >> | > |
| >> the
| >> and
| >> programs
| >> this
| >> | > |
| >> | > |

0
webmaster911 (1600)
2/8/2006 12:53:28 AM
Rob Giordano (Crash) <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> was very
recently heard to utter:
> Are templates read only until saved as a document?
>
> I'm having no trbl read/write working with an existing doc to my mem
> stick.

It's an intermittent problem that will show up in some situations and be
completely unfixable, but won't appear at all in others.

Saving directly to the hard drive is by far the most reliable technique.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
2/8/2006 1:19:44 PM
We discovered the same problem yesterday.  It is a permissions problem
as I am able to save to the flash drive using Windows 98 or if logged
on as administrator in Windows XP.

Microsoft acknowledges the problem
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320950/en-us) but only suggests the
workaround you've already discovered.

Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
> Are templates read only until saved as a document?
>
> I'm having no trbl read/write working with an existing doc to my mem stick.
>

> "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> | Publisher does not do well on removable media. You already know the
> solution,
> | save to the local drive, copy to the flash drive.
> |
> | --
> | Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> | http://office.microsoft.com/
> | http://msauer.mvps.org/
> |
> | "Jeff Driscoll" <JeffDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > We've got 10 or 15 students in the class and all are having problems.
> | >
> | > They have a work around of saving to the C: drive and copying over, but
> the
> | > teacher wants an actual answer.

> worked

> message
> work
> key.
> | >> |
> save
> | >> |
> | >> |
> edits,
> make

> their
> students
> on
> | >> | > |
> closed.
> | >> | > |
> save to
> document
> that
> | >> | > |
> | >> | > |

0
nanci1 (1)

Automatcally Hiding Rows in Excel 2000 #2
Is there a way of automatically hiding rows in Excel 2000 based on a rule (ie if there is no data in a row, we want to hide that row without doing it manually)? We have a couple of ideas which involve VB code which reacts to data within that row but if anyone has done this before or knows of a way to do it, that would be great. Thanks in advance! Tom Starr http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3F625B17.4BF93224%40msn.com Was a reply you got to your first post. Tom Starr wrote: > > Is there a way of automatically hiding rows in Excel 2000 based on a rule > (ie if there is no...

Compact Archive Folder in Outlook 2000
How do I compact the Archive folder in Outlook 2000? I deleted a lot of messages in it but the size has not changed. Using Advanced Personal Folders properties does not seem to compact the archive. Roger Why don't you start using a new archive file? What is the current size of the archive file? Try to keep your .pst files under 2 GB. Roger wrote: > How do I compact the Archive folder in Outlook 2000? I deleted a lot of > messages in it but the size has not changed. Using Advanced Personal > Folders properties does not seem to compact the archive. > > Roger The...

Music in publisher
Can't get background music to play on website works ok on prewiew but not when I publish it to website? Very grateful for any HELP!! websie www.members.cox.net/wopen Thanks -- Carl Bailes <bgsound src="index_files/file0001.ht_" loop=2> Have no idea what kind of file .ht_ is but it ain't listed anywhere as a sound file. -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "wopen" <wopen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25C5D94B-415D-431F-8810-2104BBC2A3EB@microsoft.com... | Can't get background music to play on website works ok on ...

MSOutlook 2000 Corrupts Incoming Mail Attachments
I am using MSOutlook 2000 on company LAN and attachments with incoming e-mails are being corrupted/lost. If I do not use MSOutlook but use webmail to view my mail on server, attachments are fine. What is going wrong? What happens if you select File | Save Attachments on one of these messages that have a corrupted/lost attachment? (or better stated, does the size field indicate that the attachment is still there even if you can't see it?) -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Retrieving (re-importing) .pst archive files in Outlook 2000
Can anyone tell me how to import .pst archive files in Outlook 2000? I have tried Import from another program or file/Personal Folder File (.pst)/File to import/Browse => C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook ... and can't see any .pst files. In Windows Explorer, a search in the same location (i.e C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook) reveals .FAV, .LOG, .DAT and other files, but none of my .pst archive files. I have ensured that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on in Tools/Folder...

How to emailing file from Excel 2000 to 2003, cannot open??
I am using Excel 2000, and trying to email either as an attachment or as a file to a receiptiant with 2003. They cannot open it. And at some time I haven't been able to. How am I saving it into the wrong format??? Please help ASAP, am on location and needing to send a report. Thank you What are they receiving? Do they have Excel? ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "bennyw0528" <bennyw0528@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78AED71F-93AC-4D41-8CC5-45FA965AEE2A@microsoft.com... >I am using Excel 2000, and trying to email either as an at...

How can I search for a ? in Publisher?
I did a Search & Replace and somehow ? marks were placed throughout my 32-page document. I want to be sure I found them all, but when I search for ?, it stops at every letter. Appreciate some advice. Thanks. It doesn't work for me either. It doesn't work in 2010 as well. You can checkmark *Match whole words only* Publisher will look between each word rather than each letter. Not much help when you are dealing with 32 pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "guymaine" <guymaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B89D6FF6-B7...

Importing a .cdr file in Publisher 2007
Hi there, someone has sent me a .cdr file, is there a way to import it into Publisher? Thanks, Ulli You can import a .cdr file in 2007. Not sure about the version however. I cannot import CorelDraw 12 images into Publisher. Your sender can convert the .cdr in Corel to a .wmf or .emf or any other format. Try importing, Insert, picture, from file. If your sender cannot convert the file, send it to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ulli" <Ul...

Converting Publisher 2002 catalog to PDF
I created a catalog using Publisher 2002. Now I need to convert it to PDF. The problem is that when I convert if, the pages do not appear in consecutive order (i.e., the first page of the catalog appears with the last page). Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Are you producing the catalog as a saddle-stitched book? What you are getting is printer's/press spreads, which, unless it is going on a large format press, is probably fine for your printer. If you are printing separate sheets to be bound by a different method, or if it is going on a large format press, and the printe...

100% cpu utilization during save as
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with this. When I'm typing a filename in the Save As dialog box in Excel 2003, excel.exe shoots up to 100% CPU utilization and it takes a second or two for the letters I've typed to show up. This only happens when I'm trying to save to a network location. The same issue comes up in Word 2003 and Powerpoint 2003, but not in any other windows applications. Any ideas? Thanks --Cam If this is only to a network location, it suggests a problem on the network side - or permissions. But are you using mapped drives for this? If so, try ...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Reinstall Money on New Hard Drive
I installed Money Plus Deluxe on a desktop and a laptop, which expires Feb. 2010. The hard drive has to be replaced on the desktop and probably won't last much longer. Since I already activated Money twice, my understanding is that my choices are to purchase another copy of Money Plus to install on new hard drive and use until it expires in 2011, or purchase Quicken now to convert files and then re-install Quicken on new hard drive. Or would I be able to download my backup files of Money on new hard drive and then convert to a fresh install of Quicken without doing the con...

saving slides as png/jpeg @ 1280x800
I have created a presentation with screen size 1280x800. When I save individual files as png or jpeg, they are saved as 960x600, which is a different size. Is there a way to export individual slides at 1280x800? On 30 Apr, 17:01, Alessandra <acima...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have created a presentation with screen size 1280x800. When I save > individual files as png or jpeg, they are saved as 960x600, which is a > different size. =A0Is there a way to export individual slides at > 1280x800? I forgot to say I am using PowerPoint 2007. I use an add-in to do this (ove...

Publisher font issue
I have an issue with Publisher 2000 and the calendar font size. The defaulted font size is 18. In each calendar date box, when I enter information is a smaller font (8 font), and save; close the program and then reopen; the 8 font text defaults to 18 font. I need the smaller font for information that needs to go into the calendar. I have tried a few tings through the help feature but nothing I do seems to work. Can someone help me with this or tell me how to fix this problem? Thanks Try this, put the calendar on the background (master page) Ctrl + m , use text boxes for your i...

Word always asks to save changes to the template
For my work we have made templates for different letters we have to send. Our application (VB6) calls those templates when we want to send a letter. Using the code we follow a few steps : - open word - open a new document using our template - save the document (.doc) on a server - sometimes print the document - sometimes immediately close the document (when we don't want users to modify the document afterwards) When they closed the document the users always get 2 questions : - save changes to template for the letter - save changes to normal.dot I already found a solution to avoid the q...

how to use a saved master page
I have created a new master page and saved it as a .pub file. The question is when opening a new document, how do I apply the saved master file? Open the master file, copy, paste to your new publication. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Colin" <Colin @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3C59647-7D56-46B9-AA56-C707538ECDED@microsoft.com... >I have created a new master page and saved it as a .pub file. The question > is when opening a new document, how do I apply the saved mas...

Saving Word E-Mail as a Revision/Draft
Hi, I would like to be able to use the E-Mail feature in Word 2003 to save an email as a draft/revision for future use. I do not want to save the word doc as an attachment. Is this possible? Thanks, Josh Why don;t you just create the word doc, save it, and then email it when you're ready. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "JoshB" <JoshB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9710F08D-64E2-45B7-8115-BE8F0B116369@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I would like to be...

Do I need Publisher installed to read/edit articles in an e-mail?
I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to read and edit these e-mail articles? On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +0000, quilter512 wrote (in article <E5DAA762-0ABA-49C2-8DDB-9A0D05162496@microsoft.com>): > I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created > articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to > read and edit these e-mail articles? You can answer your own question by STFW. You not heard of Google Grou...

Thrift Savings Plan #2
Does anyone know an accurate way of tracking the military retirement plan, TSP? I have just added an account called TSP and modeled it like a 401(k). Then for each of the funds you have, just add a new investment. You won't have a stock symbol or anything. Some days, I manually update the fund prices, and others I don't. It will calculate your returns whenever you make new transactions. I basically just make those investment transactions whenever I get my quarterly statement. I don't know of a better way of tracking the TSP. "Anthony" wrote: > Does anyone ...

Setting email so server will not save emails on server
I have two computers. ( Desktop & laptop) I seldom use the laptop but when I do use it and get my emails it brings up every email that I have already read and deleted from desktop. Is there a setting where I can set so the server will not keep the deleted emails? On both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of messages on the server. On one machine only, (The desktop would be logical for you), check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy your allotted space you get from your server, and Remove from server when d...

Unable to display the folder error.
I get the following message when using Outlook. If I close Outlook then reopen it, it will work until I switch icons (calendar to contacts). "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. An error occurred that prevented the file M:\Outlook\cij.pst from being saved. Close and then restart all mail-enabled applications." Can anyone help me with this problem? ...

I have recently bought a new computer with Vista Home Premium, but my Publisher 2003 will not load as it states there is no Windows XP or 2000 running. Quite right, but do I really have to buy the 2007 version? As a UK charity we have bought the Student 2007 office version - is there a student version of Publisher 2007? -- Mark Ward Senior User Try installing in safe mode. Do you get an error other than there is no XP or 2000. Publisher 2003 should install on Vista. List of system requirements for Microsoft Office 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT ...

What can stop a PC from displaying Access 2000/2003 text & background colours?
Can anyone suggest a reason why a specific Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop should be unable to display any of the text or background colours on an utterly basic test form with only a couple of text boxes and no VBA code on an otherwise empty test database? The problem also happens with an application of mine using Access 2003 runtime - but only on this PC. It runs fine on several other PCs. I have applied every available Windows XP Home update and every available Office 2000 update to no effect. The laptop (set to 32-bit colour) can display digital colour photographs without any problem and ...

Restoring a single mailbox into Exchange 2000 SP3 environment.
I perform nightly ntbackups of our entire information store. In the past I would restore the entire information store to a test clone Exchange environment server and then open the mailbox required using Outlook and export the mailbox to a pst, and then import that pst into the exiting production mailbox using outlook again. As you all probably know with a 23gig information store this is horribly time consuming, and it drives me nuts. Can someone provide me an alternative solution to this? On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:57:54 -0400, "frank s" <SFDSFDSF@SFSDFDSFSA.COM> wrote: ...

Help! New to Publisher
What is the A...at the bottom of a page inside a small box? I am typing a newsletter. Shouldn't one page flow to the next like in Microsoft Office? If it is text overflow, I cannot retrieve. What am I doing wrong? Please advise. That indicates that there is more text inside that area that cannot be seen. If you stretch that text box down, you'll see the rest of your text. To make it flow from one box to another, you need to set it up for that. (I will admit that I break mine manually because I've never taken the time to learn how to do it correctly.) -- The problem with ...