The ever annoying tables... Lock column width?

    Trying to do up a catalog in Pub XP.  I'm trying to put all the products
into columns but when I shrink the table from the right all the columns
shrink accordingly.  I'm trying to fix column widths to fit a certain area,
and this is really screwing me up.  Why don't the columns in Publisher work
the same as FrontPage?  I will have to settle on text boxes, but that is an
annoyance.

Marc

Place your cursor on a cell line, it will change into the re-sizer cursor. Fool
around long enough and you will get the hang of it. Publisher is a breeze compared to
FrontPage.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"Marc Mercier" <NOhammondeggsSP@AMattbi.com> wrote in message
>     Trying to do up a catalog in Pub XP.  I'm trying to put all the products
> into columns but when I shrink the table from the right all the columns
> shrink accordingly.  I'm trying to fix column widths to fit a certain area,
> and this is really screwing me up.  Why don't the columns in Publisher work
> the same as FrontPage?  I will have to settle on text boxes, but that is an
> annoyance.
>
> Marc

0
laserdog (1122)
11/12/2003 9:57:09 PM
You can if you set blank font sizes in the Table and fool it into thinking
there are entries.

You just need to be innovative and put on your thinking cap.

--
The US should free all those
illegally held prisoners they are

0
donotknock (1941)

How to give a string of data into different columns
Super expert, If I have cell containing a series of data like this .... 1,12,9 1,2,9 1,22,17,18 23,23,1,9 24,21,1 1,23,11 22,1 2,3 Is it possible to use function or command to split them into columns? 1 12 9 1 2 9 1 22 17 18 23 23 1 9 24 21 1 1 23 11 22 1 2 3 I don't want to use "TEXT TO COLUMN" as some of the addresses can be overwritten. Thanks so much, Regards, Elton Hi 'Elton Law' Try the below =TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE("," & $A$1& REPT(",",6),",", REPT(CHAR(32),255)),COLUMNS($B$1:...

ERWIN Diagram Table Field Sort
Prior to GP 8.0 SDK the ERWIN diagram table field sort matched with the non- sort in SQL. Now, both logical and physical fields sort in ERWIN are alphabetical. In the future can the ERWIN field sorts return to matching the sort in SQL? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in th...

How can I make columns that are separated by a line?
I need to make columns that are separated by a line. Is there a function on the toolbar that will do this? Insert a column between A and B Make it very narrow and draw a line from Drawing toolbar down the center of it. Or place a border down left side of cells of Column B Or post back with more detail. But no.............there is no toolbar function to separate adjacent columns. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:17:01 -0700, AdaptableAssistant <AdaptableAssistant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to make columns that are separated by a line. Is there ...

Pivot Table Typical example
D'all, I learnt pivot table recently, anyone can help me to learn perfecly with a typical example of pivot table Hi Take a look at the following sites Debra Dalgleish's http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html scroll to section on pivot Tables Mike Alexander's http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm Ed Ferrero http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutorials/PivotTableTutorial2003/tabid/89/Default.aspx -- Regards Roger Govier "Sandeep Jangra" <SandeepJangra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54D67EB8-D12E-46C3-B87C-0711A0A70A57@microsoft.com... ...

very annoying problem Please help
Hi, I am very upset, sorry I am sure this is simple for most, but. I use excel more as a database. I do not use many formulas etc. And it serves me well. Excel 2003 why can I NOT paste a number into a cell???? without excel messing with it. ex: 123497865 I want that pasted exactly as it looks. I have tried all 4 paste options. It's driving me crazy. I want excel to do magic whebn I choose, is this not possible? Sucks really Luke Sorry, forgot. I also tried ALL formats of the cells,rows. etc. I want this I get stuff like this 7.4019E+22, not the numbers thanks Luke "Frank&quo...

Re: I need to import data into two tables...?
"i_takeuti" <i_takeuti@mx9.kct. ne.jp> wrote in message news:... > > "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message > news:Om1Fi2GfHHA.928@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >>I have a database that is basically a contact database. >> A Client's table and a Contact's table. >> >> We will be recieving data in a spreadsheet that consistes of contact >> data, and the children's name of the person bing contacted. >> >> I'd like to upload the children's names into the memo field of the >&g...

Using Table import to enter initial inventory quantities
I have a need to use the Table Import function to bring in new inventory items (long story short, can not use Integration Manager). I have that pretty well in hand, but I am having problems identifying the table I need to use for pulling in the current quantity-on-hand. My thinking was to pull the information into an inventory adjustment transaction and then post it.(so we wind up with reasonable inventory valuations as well. If table import is not up to it, we can write directly to the tables from SQL - so long as we know the tables) Can anyone tell me what tables I should be looking...

Unlock table
Unlock table Hello, Using Access =9203=85 I have some code that exports various qdf results to Excel. They work pretty well, but sometimes my on error code fires because, e.g., the user already has an xls doc opened by the same name or the xls doc they=92re trying to name contains invalid characters, etc. When the on error code fires, the first thing I do is delete the two qdfs created in code: =85 Exit Sub errHandler: 'On Error Resume Next does not ignore =91Item not found in this collection=92 for some reason?? =91workaround For Each qdf In dbs.QueryDefs ...

1) Run query through a table and 2) keep (or throw away) records
Here's what the data might look like: ID M MStatus Appl ApplStatus Art ArtStatus Appr ApprStatus -- --- -------------- ----- -------------- ------ -------------- ------ ------------ 1 M1 In Progress 1A In Progress MA1 In Progress AP1 Pending 1 M1 In Progress 1A In Progress MA1 In Progress AP2 Pending 1 M1 In Progress 1A In Progress MA1 In Progress AP2 Approved 1 M1 In Progress 1A In Progress MA1 Complete AP2 Approved 1 M1 In Progress 1A Complete MA1 In Progress AP3 Pending 1 M1 Complete ...

Column sorting incorrectly
I have a column containing numbers 1-40. I made sure the format of these cells is "Number" then I sorted my spreadsheet in ascending order. The strange thing is, the order is correct except that 19, 35, 36, 38, 39 appear after 40. Why is this happening? Are you absolutely sure of the format? Sounds like the errant values are text. Also, are the rows contiguous (i.e. no breaks)? If there is an empty row and you click sort it will select the current region which is determined by where xl finds blank rows and columns. To be sure, select the values and then sort. HTH -- Regards;...

Forumla rows and columns
Why in a column do I get a (0) result from a formula in one cell in the column and get a - for a result in the same column, different row with the same formula for each, the format for the entire column is accounting. I want all zero results in the column to be displayed as a dash (two results are (0) in the column and two other results to the same forumla show as the dash which is the correct format for accounting) -- Help !!!! The formula result is between 0.5 and -0.5. Formatting does not alter the real value. Wrap ROUND around your formula: =ROUND(your_formula_here,0) ...

batch table: status field
Can anyone help me by letting me know what the numbers mean in the status field of the hq batch table? I see 23, 7 and 2. 23 seems to be closed batches, not sure about 7, and 2 seems to be open batches. Long story short, I have one of my 5 locations that has been unable to process a 401 worksheet w/ the hq server for several weeks now. After trying literally everything I have found in this forum as well as spending an obnoxious amount of time w/ ms support I have realized that the last batches that were uploaded to hq do not reflect a closing time in the hq batch table even though t...

Hidden Columns
Cannot open hidden columns by selecting the column adjacent to either side Is the worksheet protected (check Tools/Protection on the menu bar)? -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "FITZWALLY" <FITZWALLY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BCE1A96-F336-4ACE-91E4-50BD04196383@microsoft.com... > Cannot open hidden columns by selecting the column adjacent to either side ...

Syntax error in sql string to update a table from a form using co
Hi, I have a form from where I need to update a table using code: The Prefix field is a text field while the scenario field is number. However I am having difficulty having to contruct the sql statement that will update the record from the current form. I appreciate any help on this. Thanks CODE: Dim db As DAO.Database Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim strSQL As String Set db = CurrentDb() strSQL = "Update dbo_PWO_Status Set " & _ "dbo_PWO_Status.QuoteStatus = Me![QuoteStatus] " & _ "where dbo_PWO_Status.Prefix = """ & Me![Prefix] & "...

Using a data field twice in the 'Rows' section of a pivot table.
In my source data, I have a 'Date' field. In my pivot table, I want to use the 'Date' field twice: * Once to sort by 'Year' (i.e. simply changing the format to 'YYYY') * And a second time to sort by 'Month' (i.e. simply changing the format to 'MMMM') Can I do this without the requirement of adding fields to my source data? Thanks. Is this a row field? How about just grouping them by year and month? rightclick on the date field and choose group and show detail|group by months and years. cdavidson wrote: > > In my source data,...

I need help with an Excel "table" formula
I have the formula: =SUMIF(InStateTravel[Dept ID],$A$2,InStateTravel[Meals]) in my worksheet that works fine. Howerver, the field: "Meals", is also the value of cell A11 on the same worksheet. Further, all the cells below A11 are the value of other fields in the table: InStateTravel. Is it possible to write the formula so I can just copy it down? For example: cell A12 has a value of "Lodging"; unfortunately, when I copy the formula down, it still refers to the field [Meals]. I would like it to refer to the field [Lodging]. Thanks in advance. ...

Text width in custom MessageBox Class
Hey everybody, I�ve implemented my own MessageBox class in order to display custom icons. Everything works fine, the only problem I have is to determine how much space the text will need. I know about methods like DrawText(DT_CALCRECT) and so on but therefore I need a DC which I don�t have at that point, as I have to define the window rect before the window is actually created. I have also considered using the DC of the parent�s window but that seems a bit odd to me. What�s the regular way to handle this problem? Thanks for your help Sighn Try calling the GetDC() API to get a HDC...

Export from 2000 to 2008
I did an export of data from 2000 to 2008, all the tables and data copied over with the exception of the Identity attribute. (which is the auto number feature). This is not good, I tried to manually do it and it says that I need to drop and recreate table. This poses an issue given all data I have in the table and that needs to be imported over. What am I missing? MOCK (MOCK@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > I did an export of data from 2000 to 2008, all the tables and data > copied over with the exception of the Identity attribute. (which is the > auto number fe...

How do I Chart a spreadsheet that has multiple columns of data
I have a spreadsheet that has multiple columns of data. What I have been asked to do is take the 6 categories and get the actual and standard data in a chart. Any help would be most apprciated. -- DMM Did you try selecting the data and running the chart wizard? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BF238C3-6394-460D-928F-69CA1921BE9D@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that has multip...

Lock location of sheet within a spreadsheet
Is there a way to lock the location of a sheet within a spreadsheet? I have a spreadsheet that has a sheet for each employee. Then I have a Total sheet that totals across all the sheets. For example, the Total sheet adds cell C3 on Sheet 1 plus C3 on Sheet 2 plus C3 on Sheet 3, etc. I want to lock Sheet 1 so it can't be moved because the formula will not work if the sheets are rearranged. See formula below. =SUM('Sheet1:Sheet10'!C3) -- Thanks, PJ You could add two "dummy" sheets--one to the far left and one to the far right. Call them Start an...

column reference
I want to take the average of every other column in my data set and I will be adding weeks to the data as time moves forward. Is there a relative or absolute formula that does this? Thanks for any help. To average the odd columns: =AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(3:3)*ISNUMBER(3:3),2),3:3)) even columns: =AVERAGE(IF((MOD(COLUMN(3:3),2)=0)*ISNUMBER(3:3),3:3)) Both of these are array formulas, and should be confirmed using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Mike" wrote: > I ...

data in 1 column/cell to automatically repeat in another cell/col
i am adding clients names in colmn B and want that info to automatically repeat in column Q. Anyone know the formula in cell q2 =b2 copy down or a worksheet_change event right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 2 Then Exit Sub If Target.row < 2 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(, 15) = Target End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Warthog" <Warthog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF434D19-E550-48F9-81C2-E071CC33F594@microso...

ResID in Security Table
Is there a way to find out desciption of resource id/resource type located in SY02000 table of Dynamics DB. For example DictID of 0, ResType of 2 and ResID of 390 corresponds to Customer Maintenance Window. I need to find current users and access rights assigned to them for each company for the DictID of 0. The Great Plains security report cannnot be modified to pull the ResID in it. Any help will be highly appreciated. I had a similar issue earlier this week. What I noticed is that if you export the security using Advanced Security you can export the settings and wind up with a nice X...

Pivot Table #8
When I am tranfering data from Excel Spread sheet into the pivot table (several dates are involved) instead of it giving me the amounts in the rows it is giving me counts.Any suggestion? Is the option box not set correctly? ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** You can't change the default settings for the data fields. If a field contains blank cells, or cells with text, it will default to COUNT. Otherwise, it will SUM. Moe wrote: > When I am tranfering data from Excel ...

sql 2008 table partitioning
We've recently installed SQL 2008 Ent. and are thinking about using SQL's table partitioning. We've read the document about partitioning from Microsoft's website and we're looking for feedback from anyone that is using it. It seems as if we essentially create the partitioning function and we're off to the races. I know that is simplifying things a lot, but in essence we think that's what we do. We're looking at partitioning a table that will have about 800 million records/year, and partitioning seems to be the answer rather than archiving/delet...